Prev_page Previous 1 3
What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:24 AM CST
So last night we were discussing the Landing's status as a protecorate of the Empire. We realized we couldn't quite pinpoint when this started, just that it's been a known "thing" for awhile.

Kenstrom (Or Scribes, maybe?) - could you maybe give us a quick overview about what this means and where it came from? The recorded info on this is... sparse.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:43 AM CST

Read geijons post where he cut and pasted fron old logs. It was a term given by the empire to give status to the landing.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:45 AM CST
>Read geijons post where he cut and pasted fron old logs. It was a term given by the empire to give status to the landing.

I probably should have called this thread something else. What it means, loosely, is known. But I think we are lacking some of the history on it.

I'm about 99.9% sure it dates back to far earlier than the earliest mention Geijon found - so I was hoping for some more info on when this was established and the details of the treaty... since nobody can seem to find it.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 11:03 AM CST
That was the reason I posted above. It happened to coincide with some discussion in game with Raelee, Bristenn, Evia, and others at Hearthstone that was ongoing after I did the work and translated my question IC.

I have the announcements and things leading up to the Death of Hochstib in November of 2003 and probably everything prior to that from 1995 to then. I checked all of the news announcements that followed the Inquisition of Baron Malwind (That I don't think was in-game very aggressively) then all of the Gryphon mailing list information for 2004-2011 once I narrowed down the years.

As I mention above I have a log where I state it in 2011. Auchand references it as a throwaway comment with the missing Kestrel in February of 2012 and Lydil has an awesome explaination of a Protectorate and Wehnimer's in general in January of 2014 where he mentions an Imperial Official made the statement and then it's supported by essentially law when Earl Eddric states it in March of 2014.

I am drawing conclusions based on how Auchand and Scribes evolved the empire documentation between 2008-2012 with the Solhaven Cataclysm (2008-2010) and then the Ride of the Red Dreamer (2010-2012). My best speculation is Paidreg or Malwind said it in 2009 at some point and it evolved into the official status now through inference. I do think it was during the Solhaven Cataclysm or atleast it originated from a Solhaven type NPC.

The only trouble is I don't have it officially in log, announcement, or name in red (NIR). It also is kind of one of those cool mysteries that I love to solve, but I don't think I'm going to locate it.

-Jeramy of Geijon
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 11:38 AM CST
Truth be told, it's something that has organically developed over the last ten years or more based on the constant intervention of Imperial troops (generally in the form of provincial troops, i.e., Hendorans, Vornavians, etc). Kenstrom definitely should correct me, but from our perspective the Empire has had to deal with one major 'the fate of the world is on precipice' so often originating or focused on the Landing, that it's demonstrated a couple things to the Empire from a tactical stand point.

1) Serious crap happens in the Landing and it seems to very often flow downhill to affect the Empire.

2) Often times as a result, the Empire has provided troops to help protect the Landing as an extension of protecting itself.

3) Protecting the Landing is key to protecting the northern realm of the Empire.

That said, I'll also quote this wonderful bit from one of our earliest published history docs:

<<In the two years since her rise to power, Mynal'lyanna's imperial troops have doubled in numbers. Used by former emperors to garrison the city and as shipboard troops to ensure the safety of coastal commerce, the empress has instead used her troops to isolate baronies which have failed to fulfill their imperial obligations.

<<All of this has had an effect on even a distant frontier town like Wehnimer's Landing. Neighboring barons who have viewed the Landing as too distant and paltry to trifle with in the past are now reassessing the situation. Wehnimer's is a port town, and given the empress' vow to expand the empire across oceans, any port has a new potential for trade and a possible influx of imperial silver as new ships are commissioned. Also, with the empress' increase in troops has come an increase in the baronial taxes to support them, and every baron is now looking for any undeveloped source of income which might lie close to hand. Even if that source does not currently lie within his barony.

The Landing and its potential has been on Turamzzyrian minds for nearly twenty years. The events that have happened in the last several have helped push the Empire to seriously consider its importance to the Empire, be it militarily or economically.

In short, the Landing as a protectorate declared by the Empire is relatively new. The Landing as the focus of growing interest to the human empire? Been happening for nearly twenty years! :D

There is no treaty. This is by fiat.

That help?

GM Scribes
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 11:58 AM CST
>That help?

Yes it does, oh Scribes, Master of the Knowing of Things.

And I would suppose recent events don't really help - IE, REALLY bad things happening (Kestrel assassination, for example) tying back to the Landing.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:10 PM CST
>>And I would suppose recent events don't really help - IE, REALLY bad things happening (Kestrel assassination, for example) tying back to the Landing.

Precisely. So far, in recent times:

* Murder of an imperial inquisitor (yes, proven to have been done by the urnon golem, but happened in the area nonetheless)
* Councilman using the town/port to smuggle weapons to the krolvin to fight the Empire
* Sanctuary for many of the people rumored to be involved in the assassination of Earl Kestrel
* The site of the mysterious death of Grand Magister Tayeros
* Home to Walkar who used a shapeshifter to try to secretly control Talador, and then turned into an abomination that marched on imperial territories
* Housed/houses individuals said to have taken blood oaths to the imperial enemy Elithain Cross and conduct a ritual to summon demonic chimera to lay waste to portions of the Empire
* HQ of the criminal organization known as the Brotherhood of Rooks who have killed/wounded Vornanvian soldiers, damaged imperial ships, aided in arming krolvin, led by Drangell the wanted criminal, were responsible for the murder of a Taladorian noble's daughter, and robbed from the banks/shops of Solhaven.
* Still housing a forest of evil black trees
* Positoned near Melgorehn's Reach which has now drawn the attention of many curious people

I'm sure I'm missing some things, hehe. Now, that list looks bad, but contrast it with the good as well. Heroes from the town, helping to save the world, the empire, the landing, etc. Defenders and support for Idolone, Mestanir, Demonwall, etc. So not just the "bad" is getting attention, but it's definitely putting a lot of spotlight on the Landing, so it's only logical there'd be some kind of trusted eyes/ears in and on the location in the after math of such chaos and tragedy.

This should be fun.

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:32 PM CST
>The site of the mysterious death of Grand Magister Tayeros

Man... I liked that guy.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:46 PM CST
I also forgot to add that a few years ago, Aurmont was playing darts with a map of the continent.

GM Scribes
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:47 PM CST
<<Precisely. So far, in recent times:>>

We're making it awfully difficult to be ignored huh?

I'm really hoping that whole unified against the shadow thing convinces the Imperial power brokers that our little burg isn't dangerous enough to finally attempt annexation.

Maybe we should come together as a town and start taking responsibility for ourselves. And not in a violent way if it can be helped. Food for thought.

Viva la (peaceful until diplomacy fails) Resistance?

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:49 PM CST
P.S.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Wehnimer%27s_Landing

Looks like the history of the Landing needs a couple additions. :D

GM Scribes
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:53 PM CST

Hmm as bad as i am at writting i think i will leave updating to others. With that said if anyone wants to pick my brain for any storyline events just ask. I feel like i do a better job at oral history then written.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 12:59 PM CST

>P.S.

>https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Wehnimer%27s_Landing

>Looks like the history of the Landing needs a couple additions. :D

not really my forte, but happy to edit for formatting later.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 01:39 PM CST
So... has anybody established why ANYBODY still lives in the landing, given the nigh unto constant invasions, massive property damage, etc. I mean, adventurers love loot, but the vast majority of people in the town shouldn't be adventurers, right?

It's almost like the joke about how the Japanese love to level Tokyo. You'd think after the third cataclysm, they might move somewhere less prone to giant monsters.

Or worse... are the adventurers REALLY all there are (And maybe the shopkeeps) and what we think of as the landing really only has like a hundred people in it? In that case, who is the god/arkati/flying spaghetti spirit of divinely rebuilding the town? We already have the all powerful Janitor (whose power eclipses all, even the gods) but why haven't we also had people worship whatever being makes sure that the town isn't just one giant pancake of rubble?
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 01:44 PM CST
<<So... has anybody established why ANYBODY still lives in the landing,>>

Come for the mayhem, stay for Helga's stew.

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 01:52 PM CST
Lorminstra's Temple, if you want a good IC reason for pilgrimage and sight seeing. There is also a large Voln following nearby.

It is also a mecca for a variety of traders/merchants who want to avoid Imperial confrontation. Juramis has touched on this, as to why he originally agreed to come to Wehnimer's as a representative of the Merchant's Guild.

It is directly associated with the glaes industry between Teras Isle and the mainland.

The Frontier comes with its price, and that price is feeding the local monster population.

On the darker side, there is a temple of Arachne nearby. (I wonder if The Empire knows about that place.)

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:00 PM CST

<<There is no treaty. This is by fiat.>>

<<That help?>>

<<GM Scribes>>

Actually, the idea of it being a fiat DOES help. Thanks.

<<Maybe we should come together as a town and start taking responsibility for ourselves.>>

Oh, don't you worry about that.

<<It is also a mecca for a variety of traders/merchants who want to avoid Imperial confrontation.>>

And Imperial regulation!

Christine and Bekke :)
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:05 PM CST
*spoken ic and can be taken ingame as such*

Why do we stay? This is home. Its where our friends our family our comrade in arms live. Its not the empire and its not the nations. It is a crossroads for merchants and a place where an outcast can make his or her own way. It is on the frontier and has frontier problems of evil and monsters. The small town is a hearty set of people that i put up against any enemy or monster on its front doorstep. All it takes is one sunset while sitting on the docks or the cliffs NW of town for one to fall in love with the place.

Puptilian
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:08 PM CST
Of that list of Terrible Things the Wicked Ol' Landing Has Done to the Poor Innocent Li'l Empire, only a few items are directly related to the people of Wehnimer's Landing:

- Sanctuary for the murderers of Earl Kestrel
- Home to followers of Cross, which is admittedly very bad juju from the Empire's perspective
- Home to the Rooks, the agents directly responsible for Cosima's murder

All the others are either an accident of fate (being close to Melgorehn's Reach and therefore at the epicenter of Althedeus' attempt to enter this valence, for example), no longer an occasion for concern to the Empire (Walkar and Cross are both dead while Stephos deArchon and Grishom Stone are nowhere near the Landing), or can't be definitively linked to the people there (Tayeros' death). Not to minimize the Empire's entirely understandable urge to tame what they undoubtedly see as the dangerous wilderness to their north, but a lot of the stuff that happens there has nothing to do with the citizenry. Establishing an embassy, negotiating extradition, seeking recompense for losses to Talador, and sending a small team of diplomats (okay, "spies" might be a better term) would be reasonable responses. Building a military encampment on the town's doorstep and filling it with soldiers, on the other hand, might not go over as well to the town's staunchest defenders.

From a narrative standpoint, I love that the actions and choices people made still resonate and will continue to affect everything from political stances to troops in town. It's that kind of responsiveness and real consequences that make me so delighted with the game. I'm pretty sure we aren't really supposed to like Thadston; he's even ticking off fellow Imperial citizens with his land-grab in Talador, and he's done absolutely nothing to establish diplomatic relationships with a town that could use some leadership right now. Had you sent in someone like Lheren Hochstib who comes across as sympathetic and likeable despite his Koary ways, it might forestall trouble instead of stirring it. You wouldn't stir trouble, would you, Kenstrom? Nahhhh, not you!

It makes me happy that the same GMs who can play characters my sorceress genuinely likes and respects can also play people she just wants to shred on sight. I love well-played jerks!

>This should be fun.

I completely agree! :)
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:09 PM CST
Yes this is tongue in cheek... but wouldn't you and your friends rather live somewhere.... safe? And also very important part of that statement is wanting to LIVE. There's other places in the lands that are outside imperial control that seem to have much less giant fiery nightly death.

As for the temple of Lorminstra being here... I ask which came first? Did that spring up in order to facilitate the volume discount that's needed for resurrecting so many people? I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a reason why the whole "dying" thing is usually a one way trip.

For that matter, has anybody considered that constantly relying on Lorminstra punching holes and exceptions in the whole dying normally process that maybe THAT is why there's so many undead? We've been so concerned about whether or not we CAN revive people constantly, that nobody has thought about whether or not we SHOULD.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:14 PM CST

Imperial regulation?

For the record no gov changes or laws were forced on the citizens of the landing. Little fear should be shown of the eddict as the earl has never been racist in all his years of rule. Heck the fact that an orc is still the mayor of the town should show that the earl is not interested in taking over. The fact that the knight even mention that the outpost will not be inside the walls says a lot. There has been no hendorian swords pointed at us nor is there any hendorian leaders of the landing. If anything some people in town are showing more prejudices in harming the imperials without being provoked then what they claim the imperials are. The Earl has come to our aid many times now and shown himself to be a friend of the landing. Until proven otherwise i advise using political means to have the outpost removed. With that said i wont allow any aggression towards this town or its people. I simply have not seen the hendorians being hostile and sadly i cant say the same about some of my fellow citizens.

Puptilian
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:25 PM CST
>Imperial regulation?

The Empire does regulate what is allowed to be imported/exported, which is why River's Rest is know for its smuggling.

The Landing, not being under such law, doesn't have to worry about this for the most part. This was, however, realized when The Empire disallowed trade between itself and The Landing, and Councilman Juramis made efforts to open trade between other "free" towns such as Icemule Trace.

There is currently a very viable and active trade agreement between Icemule and Wehnimer's. The Landing provides much needed herbs to Icemule, and Icemule provides much needed iron ore to make steel for weapons/armor/tools/etc.

Granted, the path between Icemule and Wehnimer's is plagued with bandits from at least two "organized" factions, as well as the usual rag-tag groups that the Adventurer's Guild sends you off to deal with. But THAT is a different story.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:25 PM CST
>>It makes me happy that the same GMs who can play characters my sorceress genuinely likes and respects can also play people she just wants to shred on sight. I love well-played jerks!

I wonder what that says about my mental stability, haha.

>>I'm pretty sure we aren't really supposed to like Thadston; he's even ticking off fellow Imperial citizens with his land-grab in Talador,

More will no doubt come out about this, but since nobles and lords of Hendor are essentially running Talador for the time being, their kick back is some money, land, taxes, etc. Thad's no different, except, he doesn't get to really enjoy his land yet in Talador, since he's playing with those troublemakers in Landing, hehe.

And hey! Who said Thad wasn't to be liked? Put yourself in this guy's shoes! He's far from his home, far from his new land, has to build a new home from the ground up, and the citizens of Landing's aren't likely to be super friendly all of the time, the tension is thick, and this is just the beginning!

Sir Thadston. Brave Knight, New World. Coming this Spring to ABC.

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 02:27 PM CST
>>Had you sent in someone like Lheren Hochstib

And while on this, I know Pup asked a few days ago, despite them not making an appearance in the teaser epilogue, I do have plans brewing for both Lheren and Therendil.

-GM Kenstrom-
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 03:11 PM CST

>>Yes this is tongue in cheek... but wouldn't you and your friends rather live somewhere.... safe? And also very important part of that statement is wanting to LIVE. There's other places in the lands that are outside imperial control that seem to have much less giant fiery nightly death.

Define safe.

Every major outpost has seen it's share of trouble, even the walled fortress of Ta'Vaalor sits a mere league from infestations of orcs, goblins, undead and likely death to the unwary explorer.. This after thousands of years of occupation.

>>As for the temple of Lorminstra being here... I ask which came first? Did that spring up in order to facilitate the volume discount that's needed for resurrecting so many people? I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a reason why the whole "dying" thing is usually a one way trip.

Landingner's are not the only people who worship, and pay tithe to the goddess for intervention. However, it should be stated that Lorminstra's grace is not as simple as a mere trinket in a bucket, nor does she offer it to everyone, even devout Liabolist.. See Ser Darvard for that reference.

By the best estimation, there are around 3-400 regular adventurers in and out and around Elanthia at any given time in the course of a day. The death toll of commoners, innocents and happen to be in the area, puts the standing, living breathing, non adventuring class of people in just the Landing to be around 10,000 strong. They are present in nearly every step you make as you walk though town.

The population of the entire Human Empire must measure in the millions, and the Elven nations eclipses that highly. So while it may feel to some that it is not an ideal locale, Wehnimer's Landing, it should be reminded that, “It's a dangerous business, going out your door."

This work isn't for everybody, and a lot of those who it is not for, are pretty glad that it -is- for some.

- This space is left blank intentionally. -
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 03:13 PM CST
<<It makes me happy that the same GMs who can play characters my sorceress genuinely likes and respects can also play people she just wants to shred on sight. I love well-played jerks!

One of the greatest compliments I ever received from a player was her shock at learning that the woman NPC she was certain was played by a lady GM was actually my own NPC.

GM Scribes
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 04:32 PM CST
>So... has anybody established why ANYBODY still lives in the landing, given the nigh unto constant invasions, massive property damage, etc. I mean, adventurers love loot, but the vast majority of people in the town shouldn't be adventurers, right?

My character doesn't currently conduct baby-blood-fueled rituals or eat the flesh of her victims or sacrifice puppies on Marluvian altars, but if she ever changes her mind about those things, the Landing is the place to be. Sorcery's less constrained in the Landing than it is in many other places, and though some of those places are even more tolerant of it, they lack the Landing's proximity to fascinating stuff like killer trees and porous valences with world-devouring nightmares on the other side. That's catnip to sorcerers!

As for the people who aren't adventurers, there's the glaes trade, the docks, the monastery at Voln, the surprisingly refined tastes of wealthy adventurers and the diversity of a port town to attract them and keep them here. Also, Icemule's damned nippy this time of year.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 04:34 PM CST
<Sorcery's less constrained in the Landing than it is in many other places

For now.

Radeek Andoran
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 05:22 PM CST
You would think a mountain that wasn't always there would have drawn a lot of attention in the first place. ;)

Personally, I would have occupied the Landing decades ago, even before the Vvrael. If you ask my 1,300+ year old sorcerer why this keeps happening "all of a sudden", he puts a lot of the blame on Lorminstra for making fortune hunters virtually immortal. But he's mostly there for the Marluvian altars and infant blood rituals, so...

- Xorus' player

The vereri says, "You have no reason to fear me, Xorus."

The nedum vereri smiles soothingly at you. You feel your resistance melt away!
d100 == 1 FUMBLE!
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 05:37 PM CST

The question of what exactly the Landing is, in relation to the Empire, and to the other regions in Elanthia, is an important one for understanding how a frontier (or any)society works. To my mind, that this subject is getting attention it deserves, in no small way due to the events of Cross Into Shadows, is a tribute to just how influential the story has been, and how much it has added to the depth of the larger story we share in creating. The characters, the conflicts, the events, they have added to the sense of immersion for most of us who play.
Thank you, Kenstrom and all who helped so much, for all of the time and effort given on the story, and thanks to all of you GMs and players who put forward such effort, and help to make this game such a pleasure.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 07:22 PM CST
Of that list of Terrible Things the Wicked Ol' Landing Has Done to the Poor Innocent Li'l Empire, only a few items are directly related to the people of Wehnimer's Landing..
-Lylia's player

The whole list is pretty linked. FORTHWITH I shall elaborate on those links listed! Also of course this is an OOC post for clarification purposes.

1) Murder of an imperial inquisitor (yes, proven to have been done by the urnon golem, but happened in the area nonetheless)
-In the process of that, despite the finality of the situation being decided by the urnon golem, Landing citizens directly interfered and hindered the inquiry. This includes but isn't limited to strong arming, threats, general disagreement to cooperate with a lawful faction seeking the source of the krolvin's armaments, and Landing citizens directly attacking Estorian knights that were part of Rinhale Hurrst's retinue.

2) Councilman using the town/port to smuggle weapons to the krolvin to fight the Empire
-See above. As such, by right of suffrage and representation, that councilman speaks on behalf of and with the sanction of the citizens of Wehnimer's Landing. The Landing's government is a democratic one- these elected officials are, in fact, elected, and chosen by the people and their majority vote, even if part of that was simply voting for the mayor who placed them on the council. This is in stark contrast to a province of the Turamzzyrian Empire, where rule is generally hereditary and sanctioned by the Church of Koar- your average commoner in the County of Wherever does not vote for the next Count of Wherever, however your average townsperson in Wehnimer's Landing does, in fact, vote for its next mayor and by extension the council. Hence responsibility.
A real world example of this is whenever my state governor does something stupid. I may not have voted for him, but he represents me to the rest of the nation, so when they send in the National Guard to quell an uprising of angry businessmen throwing scalding hot lattes at people, all I can do is facepalm and accept the fact that my delicious, sweet, loamy espresso has now been outlawed because dudes with more money than me wanted more, even more, money regardless of the consequences.

3) Sanctuary for many of the people rumored to be involved in the assassination of Earl Kestrel
-The responsible parties came into city limits and proudly displayed the items they had stripped from Earl Berniah Kestrel's dead body. They also showed captured blueprints of an imperial embassy ( -__- ). Highly witnessed, especially by respected members of various imperial organizations.
They were then, resistance to it quickly eroded, welcomed back with open arms, and allowed to roam freely and unchecked. Couple dudes were hanged, but the acting Shadow Abomination of Unliving Horror apologized to them and the rest of the banished afterward- just as well, Stephos DeArchon subsequently pardoned them before fleecing his get-away. Lady Alendrial DeArchon, Stephos's wife and co-conspirator, was delivered to Icemule Trace.

4) The site of the mysterious death of Grand Magister Tayeros
-Same as above. As much as certain characters will play it off as 'oh i don't know how it happened heuheuhruhrrr,' first: it was witnessed, second, it was gloated about repeatedly, third it is another direct act of aggression within Wehnimer's Landing against a lawful faction seeking answers about heinous crimes.

5) Home to Walkar who used a shapeshifter to try to secretly control Talador, and then turned into an abomination that marched on imperial territories
-The townspeople and player characters voted for him, hence responsibility. Any attempts to remove him from office and deliver him to justice were met with incredibly fierce, incredibly vocal resistance and threats of incredible violence. The good and rational among the Landing's citizenry lost that one, and given the democratic nature of the town, unfortunately everyone bears the responsibility of their elected official.
If people listened to it and just allowed it to happen, that's also responsibility via complacency. Complicit with a crime as it were.

6) Housed/houses individuals said to have taken blood oaths to the imperial enemy Elithain Cross and conduct a ritual to summon demonic chimera to lay waste to portions of the Empire
-Wagons were circled and they were allowed to roam freely and unchecked- by this time there was no real acting government, so responsibility fell on the shoulders of the adventuring citizens and townspeople to correct this. They did not.

7) HQ of the criminal organization known as the Brotherhood of Rooks who have killed/wounded Vornanvian soldiers, damaged imperial ships, aided in arming krolvin, led by Drangell the wanted criminal, were responsible for the murder of a Taladorian noble's daughter, and robbed from the banks/shops of Solhaven.
-Very few have taken any steps to remove them. Fewer (see: none) have been successful. In fact, they were welcomed repeatedly to defend against lawful factions seeking to right wrongs, and empowered by local adventuring citizens to do really bad stuff. Their efforts thus far..: extorted local businesses, pillaged local businesses, murdered citizens, damaged swaths of property, helped arm the very krolvin that right up to the last battle attacked the town and killed its dudes, kind of kept trying to pick a fight with the Turamzzyrian Empire by striking out into imperial lands on several occasions to do bad stuff, and then stuffed a sixteen year old girl in the frige.
The only people who tried to stop them were ostracized and on several occasions attacked. They've beleaguered and assailed and victimized the Landing for the better part of three years now. They also bro'd it up with Lich King Duke of Lich's Landing A Number One Barnom Sho'Nuff Slim for a bit.

8) Still housing a forest of evil black trees
-Citizens of the Landing, townsperson and adventurer alike, took part in the ritual to create them. Many have signed their names into the trees themselves as living evidence of their support and fostering and feeding of the blood drinking horror trees.

9) Positoned near Melgorehn's Reach which has now drawn the attention of many curious people
-This one, actually, is a freebie- it's the center square of the Landing's bingo card! The only people directly responsible for the Reach are the people who made it, who are long, long gone. However, that doesn't discount the fact that while previously considered simply a curiosity, now it is recognized as a site of power that can be used to great effect either benevolently or malevolently.

Arguing it ICly, that makes for sehr interessant RP, but these be the facts OOCly, presented not in a HAHA U LOSE way but in a 'this happened' way (with as little eyepoking as possibru). If there's interest, I can also do my best later onski to sum up the gnarly stuff the imperial side of the story did as well (which is probably fairly equal in number, but I don't believe equal in squickiness).

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 07:26 PM CST
The population of the entire Human Empire must measure in the millions, and the Elven nations eclipses that highly. -Greganth

Not tooting an imperial horn here, but the elven houses have been in decline for a long, long time. It's more than likely the reverse situation when you look at generations, expansion and contraction- the population of the elven city-states, houses and their holdings has been withdrawing from the surrounding regions and contracting as the sheer vitality of human expansion in the west over the last nearly thousand years of the Turamzzyrian Empire tamed the other half of the continent and renewed civilization.

It isn't to say one is better than the other, but more or less 'elves live for a very long time, breed slowly and take their time. Humans only have give or take fifty years each to get the job done, so why not make a bunch of kids who'll make a bunch more kids each who'll make even more kids and exponentially increase the population.'

A good example of this was Jantalar, actually! Jantalar reached the maximum capacity of land tenure, agricultural output and population density its borders could handle, coupled with the increase of imperial taxes. More money had to be made to pay these taxes, more land had to be taken to house the population and, on which, to make the aforementioned mad dollaz. Also, Hochstib was kind of a metaphor. Spoiler though, it didn't work out in the end, and Jantalar had to give up all of what it claimed.

Now, the ramifications of Cross Into Shadows may have severely altered that, so I would wager while the Turamzzyrian Empire would still house more dudes per capita, it seriously had to have lost 20-25% of its population. That is a HUGE number if we're talking in millions.

..which would also mean, expansion probably isn't a card on the table. There are yeeeeears of painful restoration and reclamation afoot, but with that comes retaking lands previously lost to giant hordes of rampaging jerks. Then retilling and resowing those lands, and in a generation or twain, give or take a few, it's back to the status quo as things settled back down and in.

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 08:49 PM CST

I am going to call this one a two-fer, and reply to both previous posts!

Firstly, the use of the words 'lawful faction' completely do not apply to Wehnimer's Landing. The only law the Imperials were justly investigating was it's own, which has no rule or bearing over the territory mentioned.

The Inquisitor was a guest, even though he refused to accept that fact, and over used his guest card. When it was revoked, a couple of his knights paid the price for his dallying around. No pun intended, but seems he paid his own price while dallying as well.

Tayeros was equally out of his element, presented himself as a man of position to some, and learned at the crucial moment how mistaken he was.

I won't argue that the Empire does not have plenty of good reasons to look north with an eye of concern, but they should also understand the analogy of why rich people do not walk through central park flaunting their diamonds. The Landing is not a place for the weak, light hearted, and under prepared. Hell, even the kids will mug you and rob you blind here. There are certainly some moral and social standards, but they are not enforced by the Empire, The Elven Nations, nor any Giant, Halfing, or Dwarven Clans. They are enforced by the duly elected officials, their representatives, and by extension, it's people.

To the population estimates, bear in mind that there are booming Elven cities that we have never lain contemporary eyes upon, that have been around for over 20 thousand years. Illistim, which we can traverse daily, is easily a city of over a million elves.

- This space is left blank intentionally. -
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:16 PM CST
<Firstly, the use of the words 'lawful faction' completely do not apply to Wehnimer's Landing. The only law the Imperials were justly investigating was it's own, which has no rule or bearing over the territory mentioned.

Well said Greg. This is the entire thing in a nutshell. Landing Law vs Imperial Law. Imperial law does not hold sway in the Landing. To send troops in to enforce any sort of Imperial law is nothing more than an invasion and subsequent occupation for the purpose of imposing the Empires will on the people of the Landing, by either the threat of force or the actual use of force.

If this is in fact the truth the next steps the Empire takes will be to place a puppet as mayor (I seriously doubt the Empire will tolerate an orc as mayor), censorship of the citizenry of the landing (to include the right to assemble), assuming control or disbanding of all militias (already done to the Gryphons), placing guards at key points in the landing (guard towers, bank, constabulary, Lorminstra's Temple, town center, Moot Hall, etc) and the rounding up of all suspected dissidents and other assorted "troublemakers". I would also expect to soon see Imperial Drakes and Magisters arrive, their excuse for being there will of course be all about Mel's Reach and the potential dangers it poses to the "locals".

Radeek Andoran
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:25 PM CST
>The Inquisitor was a guest, even though he refused to accept that fact, and over used his guest card. When it was revoked, a couple of his knights paid the price for his dallying around. No pun intended, but seems he paid his own price while dallying as well.

>Tayeros was equally out of his element, presented himself as a man of position to some, and learned at the crucial moment how mistaken he was.

Unfortunately though, both of those were sort of cases of the Landing digging itself deeper in Imperial eyes. Yeah... neither Rinhale nor Tayeros were pleasant guys, but both of them were sent north to investigate really serious crimes (selling weapons to the Krolvin, killing Berniah Kestrel). From the Imperial POV, it adds to the reputation of the Landing harboring major criminals. Not only to they offer sanctuary, they'll even kill to protect them.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:35 PM CST
With Cryheart's response I probably could post IC (in reading this afterwards half is I guess), but the Order will probably come to an agreement Sunday collectively.

I spent all day thinking about Radeek's posts, which have been excellent for several weeks (months) now really, and his fervor about the Empire has returned with the latest announcement (it's why I cut logs the way I do. I want them to live instead of just NPC jump cut like a lot of edits do). Back to my point though, I kept inferring Radeek is Braveheart (He wasn't really Wallace, come on) and he's really pissed that Britain has a wooden fort and they are going to prima nocte his bride Phever. I know it's kind of a sidebar :)

The response and support the Order of the Silver Gryphon have received for some years now has been respectful and something we take seriously as players and PCs. We did not always gain such public perception even when Sir Brinn was our leader (on the contrary we faced this current underlying sentiment usually), but Eahlstan, Metadi, Cryheart, Yviara, Morgiest, Kinshack, and Yarx are or were all knighted by Earl Eddric Jovery as knights of the Empire in 2003. While this did not make the Order of the Silver Gryphon Imperial by default it essentially made the Holding a defacto Imperial outpost at that time. I then return to my original comment about how the Order has been perceived and accepted by Wehnimer's Landing. Sir Cryheart especially and our Order in general in times of defense and doom directed at our city. All of these men and women were so honored by the same Earl Eddric Jovery who declared an outpost to be built outside of the city and to allow the Order to regain it's acceptance in the Empire without damning it or anyone while putting them under a knight of his choosing in the interim with promises to be restored.

His tone during maneuvering with Baron Malwind and law breaking by the Landing has cornered him and Vornavis several times "requiring" a response. Why has it always seemingly been a political response with the least amount of pain involved? Could it be he's protecting us? If we have the opportunity to restore our cities perceptions correctly by abiding by some attainable perimeters the integrity of the Earl would lead me to believe those promises would be kept.

It has always been the view that if the Empire wanted to take Wehnimer's Landing it would be done. It is at their whim truthfully so avoiding stirring revolt and open aggression is wise.

-Who dat logs
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 09:52 PM CST
I think this is where the conflict-loving, aggressive Lylia and the conflict-averse, live-and-let-live Lauren diverge. I (the affable player, not the irascible Faendryl) agree that from a narrative standpoint, it's Bad to harbor criminals or kill Earls or feed the black trees, but from the standpoint of wanting my fellow players to continue to enjoy the game, I'm not really sure the characters who did these things can be made to face any real consequences. The trees, Cross, the Rooks, the fight against Talador, all the stuff the Empire has against the Landing -- it's all a product of players wanting (and rightly so) to carve out niches for themselves. I talked to some of them who expressly chose those darker paths because they felt their characters needed a little gravitas or because they wanted to see what things were like from the other side of the fence. Whatever their reasons, someone's always going to want to play the bad guy or worship a dark god or at the very least wear a lot of black and look sullen, and there has to be room for that too.

I always play as the hero the first time through a solo RPG, but my second trip is usually villainous. I totally get why players would choose that way, and I've had great fun seeing some ordinarily shiny hero types get a little tarnish on 'em.

I don't really feel like having my character squeezed into bad-guy territory because some players joined Althedeus' posse any more than I want her to be forced into good-guy status because she fought for Mestanir and gave orphans candy. In fact, I don't think we're really supposed to have it all our way in the narrative sense with this -- not on either side, assuming there will soon be sides once again. While from an IC perspective, Sir Bristenn and Lady Lylia disagree emphatically on how much responsibility the citizenry of the Landing has for insults against the Empire (or vice-versa), we as players are able to look at the bigger picture and say, "Ooh, that's a good hook for a story" and build on that organically instead of trying to show in an OOC way why one side is empirically (ha, see what I did there?) right and the other is unequivocally wrong. The way I see it, both sides are fairly equal in their general nastiness to one another, albeit in different ways (and after reading what happened to the Marlu worshippers in Kenstrom's little glimpses of Imperial nastiness, I'd say there's some pretty squicky stuff yet to be revealed IC).

I guess what I'm saying is that if the actions of the players who fed the trees or participated in the Earl's GM-scripted death or signed up to fly the unfriendly skies in Cross' airship are going to plunge the Landing into a new conflict, I don't know if I'm ready for it yet. I'm not sure if you're suggesting that because some players chose to have their characters snuggle up with shadows or commit crimes against the Empire, the whole Landing deserves to be annexed or subjugated by an entity that's notoriously unfriendly to many characters' races and professions. I can definitely get why Bristenn would feel that way, but do you see it that way as a player? It's a great narrative hook for generating conflict, to be sure. We're not even certain there's going to be any significant conflict, and we're already writing marathon posts about it!

You bring up a good real-life parallel. I live in Louisiana; I face-palm a lot about what my state's legislators do, and whenever I have to go north of Baton Rouge, I feel as though I'm in a parallel universe. Despite that, I love living here and wouldn't take kindly to Texas coming in and governing for us no matter how much I may dislike some of what happens -- especially when I suspect the good folks of the Lone Star State would sell the Saints to Salt Lake City and "clean up" Mardi Gras. I live here because I like nasty Mardi Gras and Saints games on Sundays and streetcar rides. That doesn't mean I don't like Texas; it's a great state, and the people there were wonderful to us when we visited. I just don't want to live there. As lousy as my state is in a lot of ways, it's also like nowhere else in the world. I wouldn't have half as much fun anywhere else.
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 10:05 PM CST
>I guess what I'm saying is that if the actions of the players who fed the trees or participated in the Earl's GM-scripted death or signed up to fly the unfriendly skies in Cross' airship are going to plunge the Landing into a new conflict, I don't know if I'm ready for it yet. I'm not sure if you're suggesting that because some players chose to have their characters snuggle up with shadows or commit crimes against the Empire, the whole Landing deserves to be annexed or subjugated by an entity that's notoriously unfriendly to many characters' races and professions. I can definitely get why Bristenn would feel that way, but do you see it that way as a player? It's a great narrative hook for generating conflict, to be sure. We're not even certain there's going to be any significant conflict, and we're already writing marathon posts about it!

I suppose the other side of the coin is... a lot of characters have decided that the Empire showing up is the end of their life as they know it. But all of Earl Jovery's character in the past indicates he's not a cruel man, or a harsh man, but generally a fair man who historically wants to help the Landing. (And I mean actual help, not "help"). A lot of the things people are afraid of are things he very well may not do at all. I suppose it might be another one of those shades of grey thing. The words "Empire" brings forth certain ideas, but the ideas are not often reflective of reality. However, it's a lot like the US - it's a huge, huge place... with a wide variety of cultural attitudes and belief.

The conflict might shape up to be fear of what the Empire MIGHT do versus the reality of what the Empire is really trying to do.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 10:15 PM CST

>If this is in fact the truth the next steps the Empire takes will be to place a puppet as mayor (I seriously doubt the Empire will tolerate an orc as mayor), censorship of the citizenry of the landing (to include the right to assemble), assuming control or disbanding of all militias (already done to the Gryphons), placing guards at key points in the landing (guard towers, bank, constabulary, Lorminstra's Temple, town center, Moot Hall, etc) and the rounding up of all suspected dissidents and other assorted "troublemakers". I would also expect to soon see Imperial Drakes and Magisters arrive, their excuse for being there will of course be all about Mel's Reach and the potential dangers it poses to the "locals".<

Someone anxious? :-)

Cryheart
Re: What is a "Protectorate?" 01/14/2015 10:16 PM CST
I didn't actually give any sort of opinion in any direction, IC or OOC. I just kind'a OOCly presented le facts behind the Landing being linked with the aforementioned events.

My OOC opinion however is 'neatrp' and I honestly don't care either way so long as we can all enjoy our muddy pastime, and Bristenn's opinion is probably (probably being the keyword here because i'd rather RP it than forum post it) a mix of anxiously awaiting recall, because there's an Ostagar to Return To if you got that DLC brah, and facepalming at all the Chicken Little business going on.

Prev_page Previous 1 3