Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:07 PM CDT
>I'm a little unclear - would a sorcerer "generally" focus his training on a couple lores, or split them evenly among 3 or 4 lores? Even if he split them evenly among 4 lores, the cost to do so wouldn't equal the cost for the wizard to do this, because the wizard would be splitting inside of one "sphere" (elemental) while the sorcerer might be training sorcerer and spirit/elemental lores. Does it matter? The guides on the wiki seem to indicate focusing on the sorcerer lores.

Which is why the 8-way split argument is irrelevant, especially considering that we're talking about the far post cap game. A sorcerer can max out their elemental lore for DC any way they want while not sacrificing anything from their sorcerous lores since they're treated separately.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:27 PM CDT
Methais
Which is why the 8-way split argument is irrelevant, especially considering that we're talking about the far post cap game. A sorcerer can max out their elemental lore for DC any way they want while not sacrificing anything from their sorcerous lores since they're treated separately.

Sure, just the same way you can argue that wizards only need to train Elemental Lore, Fire to account for most of their offensive benefits from lores.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/09/2017 11:52 PM CDT
>Sure, just the same way you can argue that wizards only need to train Elemental Lore, Fire to account for most of their offensive benefits from lores.

How does a sorcerer maxing their elemental lore ranks impact their sorcerous lore training?

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:07 AM CDT
< But that doesn't invalidate that casting 3 high level spells in 3 seconds of castRT achieves the same end result (a dead creature in 3 seconds of castRT), and Rapid Fire (515) allows for that.>

These are not the same. One kills instantly with zero chance once the spell is cast for something to hit back. The other the creature effectively has 2 seconds to still cast. It is close but not the same.

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:30 AM CDT
<These are not the same. One kills instantly with zero chance once the spell is cast for something to hit back. The other the creature effectively has 2 seconds to still cast. It is close but not the same.

Also your 3s per kill assumes that someone has absolutely zero latency and is smashing their macro key like it owed them money. So in reality it is more like 3s vs 3.2-3.5. Could even go to 4s.

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:36 AM CDT
<Sure, just the same way you can argue that wizards only need to train Elemental Lore, Fire to account for most of their offensive benefits from lores.

I had a capped sorcerer, which I got rid of for personal reason. My sorcerer is now 72. At no point leveling up was there even a question in my mind what I needed to train in to be successful. It was necromancy. It had my utility and my offensive spells in one neat lore. Demonology is the red headed step child or sorcerer lore. Do some max it out sure, but I feel confident in saying that most go for necromancy mostly while hitting certain thresholds for demonology.

Sorcerer's are a bad example for your case. I believe more than 20 ranks of elemental lores give you huge diminishing returns if I remember correctly. I would stick to empaths and clerics with your lore examples. Sorcerers have it very easy with lores, it is a 2 way split and there is one clear winner.

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 05:23 AM CDT

>> How does a sorcerer maxing their elemental lore ranks impact their sorcerous lore training?

I think the argument is more that there's no spell that is helped by both elemental and sorcerous lore. Other than gaining defensive benefit, a sorc who has sorc lore gains no further offensive power from elemental lore.

Either way, pre cap I'm not familiar with any pure training plan for either wizard or sorc that includes more than 1x for ANY lore. Spell circles and other skills seem more Important. Even my capped sorc (not far post cap) hasn't bothered moving to more than just 1x sorc lore yet.

Either way, I'd like to nudge the conversation back to what will address the instant kill imbalance concerns, since if those can be addressed without needing more lore points, it reduces the multi-lore concerns to being more about enchanting, which is one spell, than being a large concern integrated into hunting in general.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 09:07 AM CDT
MEKK1
These are not the same. One kills instantly with zero chance once the spell is cast for something to hit back. The other the creature effectively has 2 seconds to still cast. It is close but not the same.

Yep, and I'm fine with that. I have absolute faith in a wizard being able to defend themselves if they happen to get attacked in that 2 second window.

MEKK1
Also your 3s per kill assumes that someone has absolutely zero latency and is smashing their macro key like it owed them money. So in reality it is more like 3s vs 3.2-3.5. Could even go to 4s.

Technically, if we're using the "0 second" argument with 240, 515 is killing in 2 seconds by the same logic. Past that, our average player is not playing on AOL dial-up and many, if not most, do repeatedly hit a macro or use a script to hunt.

MEKK1
I had a capped sorcerer, which I got rid of for personal reason. My sorcerer is now 72. At no point leveling up was there even a question in my mind what I needed to train in to be successful. It was necromancy. It had my utility and my offensive spells in one neat lore. Demonology is the red headed step child or sorcerer lore. Do some max it out sure, but I feel confident in saying that most go for necromancy mostly while hitting certain thresholds for demonology.

I'll buy that Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy has most of the offensive benefits, but that's certainly not true for utility. Many sorcerers specifically train Demonology for 704, 712, and 740. In fact, checking all sorcerers online right now, Necromancy is trained more overall, but there are also more sorcerers who don't train it at all vs. those that don't train Demonology. You can make the case that your personal character may have focused on just one lore, but actual data seems to indicate there is strong incentive to train both lores. This is all without delving into the other lores, which they also do train in. Sorcerers seem to be a perfect example, as backed up by non-anecdotal data.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 11:08 AM CDT
>Yep, and I'm fine with that. I have absolute faith in a wizard being able to defend themselves if they happen to get attacked in that 2 second window.

So when I get imploded, spike thorned, crawler eaten, a Confluence elemental maneuvered me because something wasn't dead and didn't stun... that's defending myself? In capped hunting grounds, the risks are not the same, not just from an offensive standpoint but from a defensive one. I disagree with the offensive power ceiling being lower and riskier because it's here that the "offense is the best defense" strategy is most important. I don't find it fun to wait to defend myself or recover from hits. That is pure annoyance and tedium. I want to be proactively doing the killing.

>Technically, if we're using the "0 second" argument with 240, 515 is killing in 2 seconds by the same logic. Past that, our average player is not playing on AOL dial-up and many, if not most, do repeatedly hit a macro or use a script to hunt.

There's lag all the time in connections and when there are big crowd gatherings or Dreavenings. I can tell you, the latter has a very noticeable effect on the lag situation. 515 is also not killing in 2 seconds, which my data is going to show.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 11:42 AM CDT
To clarify a bit about my stance for a limited duration booster vs. better defense:

In my view, attaining a higher actual power ceiling and quality of life in daily hunting is the holy grail for a magical pure. It's exciting to be able to reach a level of magical proficiency at some point post-cap that is significantly better than what one could achieve pre-cap. To me, that gives goals to continue to strive towards.

In large part, this is because I consider magical spell slots to be a poor use of skills for excessive amounts of defense. With the game balanced for mostly being self-cast, it is much easier for a character to acquire gear that aids vastly in defense and survival, whether it's enchanted/padding/resistant armor or shields, more and more commonly available for cash via Duskruin or spell tanking in non-self cast areas (which only excludes the Rift/Scatter, since Dev already said they don't balance for solo'ing anyway) via imbeds, magical items, scrolls, or other characters. I consider these things relatively achievable for cash or silvers.

I'm looking to spend my magical spell power on the things that money can't buy. It's next to unachievable to attain more spell knowledge items, and beyond the basic enhancives and commonly available spell/scroll spell boosters available, such as Bravery or Mystic Focus, it's extremely difficult to reliably or sustainable increase one's AS or CS. This is why a power boost is far more exciting to me. If I die once less a month, I really couldn't care less, and it's not going to get my heart racing. If I'm able to become more and more magically proficient such that one day I can mow things down, at high mana cost, instead of plinking away, this is worth a lot to me and my enjoyment of the game.

This is part of the reason that Enchant Item is pretty underwhelming to many post-cap pure wizards, because the things it can enhance are things that affect our defense (armor/runestaves/shields) and not offense that affects magic.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 12:58 PM CDT
Just using the Elemental Overload example presented by Estild, I want to see how it would mesh up with your comments. I'm trying to understand what you want, not in overarching terms but in specifics.

In my view, attaining a higher actual power ceiling and quality of life in daily hunting is the holy grail for a magical pure. It's exciting to be able to reach a level of magical proficiency at some point post-cap that is significantly better than what one could achieve pre-cap. To me, that gives goals to continue to strive towards.

With this in mind should the base benefit of 940 - Elemental Overload be smaller and increased with training. So, similar to 240 we would have say a base 60% chance to triple bolt spells cast and a base benefit (AS increase or EBP reduction or something else). From there training in EMC would increase the bonus to the attacks and the elemental lore(s) corresponding to the bolt used would determine the additional chance for the triple strike to occur? Is that the kind of post cap growth you're seeking? Would the chance to triple any bolt spell cast with a bonus to AS and/or reduction of EBP chance be enough of a boost to your power ceiling?

If I'm able to become more and more magically proficient such that one day I can mow things down, at high mana cost, instead of plinking away, this is worth a lot to me and my enjoyment of the game.

Is the high mana cost you're looking for the 40 mana every 30 seconds from casting Elemental Overload? Would it be more restrictive, and more of a goal to strive for, if you had to pay for every one of the triple shots? Perhaps EMC could reduce the cost of the additional strikes, giving you something to work towards?

This is part of the reason that Enchant Item is pretty underwhelming to many post-cap pure wizards, because the things it can enhance are things that affect our defense (armor/runestaves/shields) and not offense that affects magic.

Why not solve two birds with one stone? Add an ability to enchant a runestaff in such a way that it flares EBP reduction on bolts. It can take the same slot as ensorcell and provide an alternative. Just a thought.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 02:27 PM CDT
I will give more specifics once I have the full number set crunched. It's taking some time, but it will be worth it. It will help me better frame the things I've been trying to tell Estild all along about 515 vs. 240, etc.

>Add an ability to enchant a runestaff in such a way that it flares EBP reduction on bolts. It can take the same slot as ensorcell and provide an alternative.

I don't like the idea of tying wizard offensive abilities to specific gear. Using gear to overcome an offensive issue contributes much more to power creep because it's attainable as long as you can buy it, for silvers or other means. Limiting it to an innate spell ability requires much more investment in TPs, experience, and the choices that Estild keeps trying to tell us to make and is an actual long-term goal rather than instantly achieved at some early level pre-cap.

Sorcerers are in a unique position among the pures where the runestaff is always the best defense, in offensive or guarded, due to the fact that they can achieve higher magical ranks per level than any other pure.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:27 PM CDT
>>I don't like the idea of tying wizard offensive abilities to specific gear.

Isn't that what all square and most semis have to deal with?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:30 PM CDT
I don't have any problems with having additional boosts tied to the Runestaff, because it's what Magicians use for defense. Okay, so they have one.

NOW they get to use it for offense, too.

<shrug>

That's what "multiple different things" are good for. Tie 'em together like that.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:41 PM CDT
Wizards are pures, not squares or semis.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:47 PM CDT
Which is why they're using a runestaff for magical defense, not using it as a 2Hand weapon.
I know that I always like seeing that incoming bolt spell get parried by my magical weapon.

Alternate response #1:

You're absolutely right!

So, "no magical armor" for Wizards....

Alternate response #2:

You're absolutely right!

So, "no picking up Feint or Disarm CMan ranks" for Wizards....
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:52 PM CDT
I would like to see some gear requirement parity between classes.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:55 PM CDT
It's not a binary choice. Obviously, everyone uses armor. Not everyone uses a runestaff however, from war mages to many pure wizards for the magical ranks reason I gave above.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:57 PM CDT
>Technically, if we're using the "0 second" argument with 240, 515 is killing in 2 seconds by the same logic. Past that, our average player is not playing on AOL dial-up and many, if not most, do repeatedly hit a macro or use a script to hunt.

You also seem to not be taking EBP into account. Each EBP adds another 1 second. Which again, warders don't have to take into account.

>I also see illusions/intimidation as a sorcerer domain rather than being wizardly.

We used to be about illusions with old 905. Kind of.

>This is part of the reason that Enchant Item is pretty underwhelming to many post-cap pure wizards, because the things it can enhance are things that affect our defense (armor/runestaves/shields) and not offense that affects magic.

I never got why a wizard doesn't receive some sort of phantom bonus when using a weapon they enchanted themselves. Even before Ensorcell came out and had this feature out of the box. I was surprised to not see it added after Ensorcell came out with it. I think the same should apply to other things like forging and all that too, getting a phantom bonus for using the stuff you made/worked on yourself.

It's always been mind boggling to me that the only offensive bonus enchant offers for a wizard is for war mages and offers no magical offensive benefit.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 03:57 PM CDT
>I would like to see some gear requirement parity between classes.

It already exists among professions within a class. I'm not looking for parity with semis or squares in any fashion.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:11 PM CDT
I'm not looking for parity with semis or squares in any fashion.

Except when you point out the lethality potential of other non-pures when compared to wizards. During which you conveniently ignore the type of high end gear needed for the level of lethality you are seeking for wizards without any gear requirements.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:12 PM CDT
>>I never got why a wizard doesn't receive some sort of phantom bonus when using a weapon they enchanted themselves.

That makes a lot of sense.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:12 PM CDT
"It's always been mind boggling to me that the only offensive bonus enchant offers for a wizard is for war mages and offers no magical offensive benefit." -- Methais

Many long years ago, I asked why bolting professions--I didn't limit it to Wizards, though if it's done as "items you Enchant yourself", yeah, that pretty much would...--didn't have something analogous to magical weapons. Why wasn't there "a laen wand" [at the time] that you could use to get +15 to your FireBolt, for example?

(And of course, nowadays it could be built in as part of the Symbol of the Proselyte/340, or something that a cleric could break a Holy Receptacle/325 over, for their Holy Bolts (on the one hand), and something that Sorcerers could get some extra zip out of with Ensorcell for Balefire (on the other).)

Still makes sense, to me. <shrug>
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:15 PM CDT
>>I'm not looking for parity with semis or squares in any fashion.

Wizards aren't squares, so they shouldn't be compared to them. Wizard's aren't Clerics/Empaths, but they should be compared to them because they both cast spells.

If you're searching for parity between classes, I don't see why that should be limited to classes with similar play styles.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:23 PM CDT
>Except when you point out the lethality potential of other non-pures when compared to wizards. During which you conveniently ignore the type of high end gear needed for the level of lethality you are seeking for wizards without any gear requirements.

I point out that all post-cap professions, except wizards and monks, can achieve a high probability of reliable, nearly instant lethality via various means. As Veythorne pointed out, squares are basically comparable to other squares, semis to semis, and pures to pures. The other pures can achieve it without gear, so that is what I expect for wizards.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:26 PM CDT
>> As Veythorne pointed out, squares are basically comparable to other squares, semis to semis, and pures to pures.

Does this mean my empath should be getting better crowd control options?
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:31 PM CDT
Hey Estild I feel like splitting 1 spell into 3 is a form of mana manipulation. We should make 940 elemental overload a 60% chance to triple spells up to 100% at 210 ranks of water lore.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:34 PM CDT

Yeah, you need some sleep and some tremors and some ewave and greater ewave. Except, we need parity, but not parity, so they would be Spirtual Siesta, Ritualistic Rumbling, Ecclesiastic Emulation, and Even-better Ecclesiastic Emulation.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:37 PM CDT
>>We should make 940 elemental overload a 60% chance to triple spells up to 100% at 210 ranks of water lore.

This makes sense as far as lore goes. I'm still not a huge fan of Elemental Overload. There are so many other cool things that Wizards do in fantasy that could go here.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:38 PM CDT

>>This makes sense as far as lore goes. I'm still not a huge fan of Elemental Overload. There are so many other cool things that Wizards do in fantasy that could go here.

Summon Dragonling. *mic drop*
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:39 PM CDT
Summon DragonlingS!
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:42 PM CDT
>This makes sense as far as lore goes. I'm still not a huge fan of Elemental Overload. There are so many other cool things that Wizards do in fantasy that could go here.

I'm not sure if it's worth the 940 slot either, but if nothing else is being planned for it then I see no harm in it either.

I think it would be better suited as an addition to Rapid Fire. Increase the mana cost or whatever if needed for this version.

Or you could give Rapid Fire the Stone Skin lore treatment for different effects, preferably with reasonable thresholds to attain them. You can still use them without lore, but it'll cost more mana to do so.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:46 PM CDT
>Does this mean my empath should be getting better crowd control options?

It's called 1120. But by all means, if you feel empaths need some tool of some kind, feel free to go advocate for it in the empath folder.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:51 PM CDT

Why? The wizard forums are so much more fun!

I support the 210 water lore for 940. Water lore is the best lore, fire lore is for noobs that can't play wizard.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 04:58 PM CDT
>Why? The wizard forums are so much more fun!

Because Aulis will murder your face and your family's faces, as well as your family's neighbors' faces.

We do have the best forums though.

~ Methais
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 05:24 PM CDT
While I am a big fan of having Water Lore for something like this, I am still in favor of letting adequate Water Lore let you evoke Minor Cold.

_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 05:31 PM CDT
Methais
You also seem to not be taking EBP into account. Each EBP adds another 1 second.

Using a level 100 human wizard killing 10,000 triton radicals (level 100) takes 30,247 casts of Hurl Boulder (510). Normal EBP mechanics apply, and as such the wizard activates the self-cast version of Tremors (909) once per opponent (whether it worked or not). He has has 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Earth and Elemental Lore, Fire, and a DEX bonus of 25. Base bolt AS is 440. Calculated casts per kill? 3.0 For many post-cap wizards, they'll have more lore and enhancives (and as such, much higher bolt AS), which will lower that number even more.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 06:26 PM CDT

>>Using a level 100 human wizard killing 10,000 triton radicals (level 100) takes 30,247 casts of Hurl Boulder (510). Normal EBP mechanics apply, and as such the wizard activates the self-cast version of Tremors (909) once per opponent (whether it worked or not). He has has 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Earth and Elemental Lore, Fire, and a DEX bonus of 25. Base bolt AS is 440. Calculated casts per kill? 3.0 For many post-cap wizards, they'll have more lore and enhancives (and as such, much higher bolt AS), which will lower that number even more.

>>GameMaster Estild

Damn you and your math, common sense, and level head!

Love you Estild.
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 06:39 PM CDT

That's 3.0247, not 3.0. #sigfigged
Re: Another Reason Water Lore Should Also Unlock Minor Steam 05/10/2017 07:03 PM CDT
>>Using a level 100 human wizard killing 10,000 triton radicals (level 100) takes 30,247 casts of Hurl Boulder (510). Normal EBP mechanics apply, and as such the wizard activates the self-cast version of Tremors (909) once per opponent (whether it worked or not). He has has 50 ranks of Elemental Lore, Earth and Elemental Lore, Fire, and a DEX bonus of 25. Base bolt AS is 440. Calculated casts per kill? 3.0 For many post-cap wizards, they'll have more lore and enhancives (and as such, much higher bolt AS), which will lower that number even more.
>>GameMaster Estild

I appreciate it when you post numbers like these, but I feel as if they're tailored to prove your point and not 100% true to reality.

What if there were a second creature in the room to pull up any creature hit by the tremor? That could increase the number of casts.

I would also point out that spiritualists don't require a knock-down be used prior to every single cast. In the example you posted, every 8 uses you would need to recast 909, so the calculated casts per kill would increase. That's an additional 1250 casts.