Prev_page Previous 1
HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 03:47 AM CDT
As part of the elemental lore review, the Elemental Targeting spell (425) has been updated.

Elemental Lore, Fire will grant a chance to cause your next spell to be charged with elemental energy. If a spell is cast within 10 seconds of gaining this charge, and the spell's damage type matches the caster's elemental attunement, the spell will gain a critical rank of weighting over its original power.

The chance to gain this critical increase is equal to seed 10 summation of Elemental Lore, Fire ranks.

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 03:53 AM CDT
To handle your followup questions.

-Boo hiss - seed summation 10 RANKS
-You can gain the crit weighting on bolts, CS spells, and elemental weapon/armor flares
-The effect applies to one hit of a spell/spell like ability, so if you gain the spell and cast cone, only the first hit will be impacted
-The effect can be triggered off of any portion of a spell or spell/like ability, so it is possibly (though improbable) that your cone will have all hits with weighting
-You must be attuned to something to gain the ability, and only your attuned spell attacks will benefit from it.
-Attuning to random will still use your attuned element, so you'll still get a flare if you're not currently focusing on your element of choice.
-The crit weighting is applied before crit randomization, so it can be reduced by crit randomization

-=Snippets=-

G>incant 518
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Cone of Elements...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You hurl a powerful lightning bolt at a triton executioner!
AS: +392 vs DS: +347 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +9 = +91
A clean miss.
AS: +392 vs DS: +309 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +94 = +214
... and hit for 93 points of damage!
Horrid jolt of electricity illuminates kidneys!
AS: +392 vs DS: +244 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +19 = +204
... and hit for 83 points of damage!
Heavy jolt to back shoots up spine. Sympathetic pains almost as bad.
The triton executioner collapses, gurgling once with a wrathful look on its face before expiring.
AS: +392 vs DS: +362 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +84 = +151
... and hit for 36 points of damage!
Visible wisps of electricity shoot up right arm. Youch!
The triton executioner is stunned!
Electrical elemental energy energizes you.
The elemental energy surrounding you amplifies the attack!
AS: +392 vs DS: +322 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +43 = +150
... and hit for 38 points of damage!
Heavy spark to abdomen. Bet that hurts.
AS: +392 vs DS: +386 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +1 = +44
A clean miss.

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 04:24 AM CDT

So as an un-attuned mage, I will not see any benefit from this eventhough I have fire lore ranks?
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 07:55 AM CDT
Wizards, attuned to fire, trained in fire lore, casting fire spells...rejoice!

Everyone else hears crickets.

Then again, 425 is one of the best buff spells in the game in my opinion, so...

This got anything going for DC?

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 09:00 AM CDT
Will air attuned sorcerers with the pre-req 10 ranks in Fire Lore see Energy Maelstrom popping off energized messaging?
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 09:18 AM CDT

Does the following phrase appear each time it activates: "elemental energy energizes you"? I want to highlight the phrase so I don't miss it if it happens with DC.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 09:26 AM CDT
Very nice change! Even thought they most likely focus on earth lore, any consideration for letting this proc on swings as well for warmages? Either way it sounds like a great addition for those already training in fire lore. I cant tell by the log but does the effect wear off on your next attack or the next successful attack in the 10 second window since it didnt show "The elemental energy surrounding you amplifies the attack!" on the last attack.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 09:46 AM CDT

<Then again, 425 is one of the best buff spells in the game in my opinion, so...

I used to feel this way until I found out the CS is basically normalized on the critter side to completely negate the bonus.

Still a nice AS bonus though.

As for the change, pretty cool.
Obviously suffers from ELR Seed Syndrome.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 11:14 AM CDT
How can one gain the charge? For instance can it be gained on a normal flare from a weapon?
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 11:49 AM CDT

>Elemental Lore, Fire will grant a chance to cause your next spell to be charged with elemental energy. If a spell is cast within 10 seconds of gaining this charge, and the spell's damage type matches the caster's elemental attunement, the spell will gain a critical rank of weighting over its original power.

>The chance to gain this critical increase is equal to seed 10 summation of Elemental Lore, Fire ranks.

I think I have to go on the hating bandwagon with this one. This seems really, really weak.

If seed 10 summation, and if you cast a spell within 10 seconds, and if the spell's damage matches your elemental attunement == +1 crit rank. This almost seems like it was designed specifically to placate the immolation complainers, if so why not just add it to immolation? As is I find this has a few to many "ifs" Something like saying "If > 6' tall, and if left handed, and if ginger haired, and if Chinese." I start to wonder how often this will even happen.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 11:52 AM CDT
>-The crit weighting is applied before crit randomization, so it can be reduced by crit randomization

...and that makes it even worse.

"...and if your crit isn't already drawing top rank possibility."
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 11:53 AM CDT

>Then again, 425 is one of the best buff spells in the game in my opinion, so...

No, it isn't, it is an utterly useless pointless spell. Every critter has had their defenses adjusted to account for it so in the end it is a mana tax on hunting, not a benefit.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 11:57 AM CDT

Does the following phrase appear each time it activates: "elemental energy energizes you"? I want to highlight the phrase so I don't miss it if it happens with DC.

Yes, this message will let you know when it kicks in.

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 11:58 AM CDT
Are there any thoughts of reducing elemental lore costs or all to cosys to make these achievable for players before cap? As a semi I already have 400 physical converted to mental just with my main semi build.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 01:07 PM CDT
If seed 10 summation, and if you cast a spell within 10 seconds, and if the spell's damage matches your elemental attunement == +1 crit rank. This almost seems like it was designed specifically to placate the immolation complainers, if so why not just add it to immolation?

Nice conspiracy theory, but no. This lore benefit was designed long before I started working on 519, it wasn't a bone tossed at immolation builds. It's been mentioned in reference to 425 many times that eventually bonus becomes baseline, and the problems with doing that, I believe you were one of those voices?

Immolation will be balanced in it's own right without needing to rely on a random crit weighting lore perk.

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 01:51 PM CDT

>It's been mentioned in reference to 425 many times that eventually bonus becomes baseline, and the problems with doing that, I believe you were one of those voices?

That isn't relevant to the fact that this bonus is way too specific/rare/unlikely. Unless you were going to redesign crit tables based on source spell circle like you did TD, but I don't think that is going to happen. At the very lease you should apply the bonus POST randomization so it is at least still a bonus.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/13/2015 02:23 PM CDT

I mean, it's not like you could depend on a 12% chance at success even if you wanted to.

At 200 ranks of EL:F, 12% proc chance.

On leather +1 crit rank is equivalent to +5 CW.

On Plate it's +11 CW.

That means you're getting between 0.6 - 1.32 average crit weighting bonus depending on your opponent's armor if you use nothing but fire spells.

Examined your example here:

AS: +392 vs DS: +362 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +84 = +151 ((51*.555=28 raw / 6 = Rank 4 crit.)
... and hit for 36 points of damage!
Visible wisps of electricity shoot up right arm. Youch! ((rank 3 crit, probably due to randomization))
The triton executioner is stunned!
The elemental energy surrounding you amplifies the attack!
AS: +392 vs DS: +322 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +43 = +150 ((50*.555=27.75raw / 6 = Rank 4 crit +1 from lore))
... and hit for 38 points of damage!
Heavy spark to abdomen. Bet that hurts. ((Although this is a rank 2. So lore did little, if any, good))
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 02:42 PM CDT
>> Elemental Lore, Fire will grant a chance to cause your next spell to be charged with elemental energy. If a spell is cast within 10 seconds of gaining this charge, and the spell's damage type matches the caster's elemental attunement, the spell will gain a critical rank of weighting over its original power.

Ok... so general questions around spells and attunement...

Do 901 and 910 count as Air, Water, Lightning, or some combination? Since there's no lightning lore... If 910 DOESN'T count as Air, then what does? 505 I know counts, but that's only available to Wizards... Which 901 and 910 are too.. And if only 505 counts, then how does that work if the non-bolt version of the spell doesn't do damage...

In fact... For Air Attuned Sorcs... what spells count for this? Earth might also be a good question.

Can we please get a chart? The more I think about this, the more I'm trying to figure out exactly how it permutes among all classes with access to 425 (and don't even get me started on Clerics with 425 Self-casts...)
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 03:27 PM CDT

I really think this needs to add the +1 crit rank post randomization. In your example the boosted cast, on near-identical endroll, resulted in a lesser crit.

You're already working with tiny percentages on a subset of spells, to add a further randomization roll to see any benefit makes this extremely lackluster IMHO. I feel like actually getting a benefit out of this has got to be approaching 5% or less probability at 2x lore. And even when it procs AND manages to boost crit rank AND isn't nullified by overkill or randomization it doesn't exactly set the world on fire. There's really no need to make it so unlikely.

You could give this %100 probability and it would basically be giving wizards access to somewhat - heavy (depending on creature armr) critical weighting on their attuned spells. Squares have had access to this (and MUCH better) for a long time.

Make it seed 1 and post randomization, then it's moved from "so tiny a chance I'll just pretend it doesn't exist" to "rad".
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 05:04 PM CDT

It needs to at the very least add +1 crit POST randomization AND 10 seconds... really? It happens so rarely, it happens for only 1 hit, and requires specific spell usage, you might as well give us a minute. 30 seconds at least.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 05:05 PM CDT
If the lore-based bonus on Spell 425 can really be triggered by any war spell (and not just by any war spell that does elemental damage of the type to which I am attuned), then I am confident that it is not working. I should have a 4% chance of activating it. Since the change was announced, I have cast war spells hundreds of times. I have not gotten the "energizes" message a single time. While it's not impossible that I am extremely unlucky, I am confident enough to say that something is wrong.

Since the change to Spell 425, I have cast DC more than 100 times. So even if an attack spell is required that does elemental damage of the type to which I am attuned, which is not what the announcement said, I would still expect to have gotten the message at least once.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 06:44 PM CDT
It needs to at the very least be better than any other crit weighting in the game, at the very least.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 07:03 PM CDT

I'm sure you found that sarcastic reply extremely witty, but you want to expand on that a bit? Is a somewhat crit-weighted strike 10% of [a subset of] the time somehow become the best?

I would 1000% prefer just they let us put crit weighting on runestaves and get +10 on ALL STRIKES, ALWAYS. Or maybe +45, claids are 40 right? So +45 CW on all spells, disallow the usual enchanting and DS bonuses, then that would be best crit weighting in the game.

That's what GS4Menos is asking for :p
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 07:15 PM CDT

>I would 1000% prefer just they let us put crit weighting on runestaves and get +10 on ALL STRIKES, ALWAYS. Or maybe +45, claids are 40 right? So +45 CW on all spells, disallow the usual enchanting and DS bonuses, then that would be best crit weighting in the game.

>That's what GS4Menos is asking for :p

Excellent idea, I would like to crit weight my runestaff so that my spells are all crit weighted.

If I can't get that, okay. I will accept this 425 change with a tiny fraction of a chance to trigger a bonus if I then follow up with a very specific attack spell in a short amount of time I will get a one shot of minor crit weighting. I'm just saying, that lets make it an actual bonus, if you're prerandomized already at the top of the crit table this is no bonus, at all. Really its analogous to the truehand effect of 319 in my mind.... or hey... give it a longer duration, much longer, and code it so you don't waste it on a hit where you were going to be max crit anyways. That'd also be cool with me.

OR

change it to an AS/CS boost

OR

change it to a double flare of the element

AND

let X lore ranks unlock it on other nonattuned elements. You still get 1 charge per energization (is that a word?, energification?), but a little more flexible on what it fires on. Similar to how you've handled the lore changes to 925 in regards to enchanting flaring weapons.

Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 07:16 PM CDT

OR

Have it work like a runestaff flare and just flare with your attuned element after any followup magical attack.
Runestaff tangent {was: ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425)} 09/14/2015 08:44 PM CDT
I long ago suggested, and continue to feel that it would be a good idea, that either runestaff add to the AS (and possibly CS) of casters, just like weapons do, or that there be something analogous to 'Defender' weapons (or an appropriate material), where the bonus of the staff could be split, some to defense, some to offense.

Haven't seen it happen yet, but it'd still be good to have.
Re: Runestaff tangent {was: ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425)} 09/14/2015 10:02 PM CDT

It would definitely be good for wizards who have an excess of DS but very few ways of improving their bolting offense.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/14/2015 11:36 PM CDT
Anyone able to figure out why this happened to me?

I have 0 ranks of fire lore....

You swing a sonic short sword at a huge steam elemental!
AS: +544 vs DS: +349 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +10 = +233
... and hit for 42 points of damage!
The steam elemental sucks some of the elemental energy out of your short sword!
Fiery elemental energy energizes you.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 07:54 AM CDT
I agree with the suggestions to change this to a +AS/CS effect for attacks from the attuned element.

This should also include Melee AS while swinging weapons which have the respective flares.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 10:18 AM CDT
If the lore-based bonus on Spell 425 can really be triggered by any war spell (and not just by any war spell that does elemental damage of the type to which I am attuned), then I am confident that it is not working. I should have a 4% chance of activating it. Since the change was announced, I have cast war spells hundreds of times. I have not gotten the "energizes" message a single time. While it's not impossible that I am extremely unlucky, I am confident enough to say that something is wrong.

There was an issue with warding spells, I'm looking into it.

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 10:22 AM CDT
It needs to at the very least add +1 crit POST randomization AND 10 seconds... really? It happens so rarely, it happens for only 1 hit, and requires specific spell usage, you might as well give us a minute. 30 seconds at least.

If I can't get that, okay. I will accept this 425 change with a tiny fraction of a chance to trigger a bonus if I then follow up with a very specific attack spell in a short amount of time I will get a one shot of minor crit weighting.

Expand on this a bit? What specific situation are you being presented with that 10 seconds isn't enough?

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 10:33 AM CDT
I have 0 ranks of fire lore....

You swing a sonic short sword at a huge steam elemental!
AS: +544 vs DS: +349 with AvD: +28 + d100 roll: +10 = +233
... and hit for 42 points of damage!
The steam elemental sucks some of the elemental energy out of your short sword!
Fiery elemental energy energizes you.

You are part of a select group of players that get to enjoy the benefit of this change as part of an initial release promo, congrats! If you, or anyone else, wants to participate in the promo while it lasts, simply roll a 0 on the droll and enjoy!

That's one spin on it, the other is...

You found an edge case bug, I'll be fixing it shortly. Enjoy it while you can!

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 01:17 PM CDT

>>You found an edge case bug, I'll be fixing it shortly. Enjoy it while you can!

Viduus,

I don't have a clip handy but somehow my mage managed to get that fiery energize messaging without any lore yesterday. It was triggered by casting 904 at...something in the bowels. Not dying got a little hectic so I didn't get to scroll up to see which something was my target.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 01:34 PM CDT

I don't have a clip handy but somehow my mage managed to get that fiery energize messaging without any lore yesterday. It was triggered by casting 904 at...something in the bowels. Not dying got a little hectic so I didn't get to scroll up to see which something was my target.

It's the same bug as in the sonic weapon clip. When the stars align you'll see it happen, I'll fix it shortly.

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 01:58 PM CDT
While you're mucking about in the code ANYWAY, might as well shift that crit to post randomization right?
<duck>

In all seriousness, when you combine all the factors together, the odds of this effect actually creating benefit is rather minimal.

For example in the Base rank 8 or 9, you only see benefits if the crit randomization roll is on either edge. 3/5 of the results result in no benefit. And that's after already making it through the circuitous circumstances of:
A) Procing the seed 10 ranks.
B) Using a spell that would benefit from that proc.
C) Hitting with that spell. (IE: making it through E/P/B)
D) Doing enough endroll to cause a crit.
E) A further 40% - 60% chance roll through crit randomization.

I mean really!
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 02:26 PM CDT
Bear with me, I'm going to try and do some probabilities here. And it's been over a decade since stats 101 which was mostly cramming for an exam. But since these ALL need to be true for our overall case to be true (IE: the fire lore did something noticeable) I think we can just multiply the percentages.

So I'm going to use 2x EL:F at lore, the best case scenario. (And a hugely expensive investment!)

a) 12%
B) We'll say 100% since that's under the player's control.
C) I'm gonna go with 85%, this is a best guess. I don't think creatures are usually triple trained in dodge, but they do often have shields.
D) Lets say 90%, which is being reasonable, I think. Varies somewhat. Is it the first cast on a creature? Probably lower. If they're already prone/stunned, maybe higher.

E) This one is a bit more complicated and I'm not 100% sure I got it right. Basically I'm seeing what are the odds that upping the crit rank will improve the end result. I"m assuming a flat distribution within a crit base rank. Then I'm just going to average them all together.

From 1->2, 50%. From 2->3, 50%. 3->4 33%. 4->5 33%. 5->6 25%. 6->7 25%. 7->8 20%. 8->9 20%
Average = 32%

[Also I should note that there should probably be another step between D and E where if you were already getting a crit 9 base, this does nothing. I'm going to ignore that for now because I'm not sure what the average probability of that would be, but I don't think it's insignificantly small!!]

So working with what I've described, (ignoring overkill!) we get .12 * 1 *.85 * .90 *.32 =

2.93% chance of this having any effect at max lore.

I like you, Viduus, but I can't give this one my seal of approval (for whatever that's worth ;).
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 02:28 PM CDT
>> 2.93% chance of this having any effect at max lore.

The effect getting consumed on a miss does seem to be a little overly punitive. What if the suggestion was to not have it consume unless the attack hits? That way, if the spell misses, you can cast again and still get the benefit?

Separately, I also think the 10 seconds is a little short, and the case is when you kill a creature and get the proc, you may not find another in 10 seconds. Most "flare" type effects occur on the current cast, the only exception I know of being ensorcelling, which has both a lower TP cost (to the using character at least) and also a very solid proc rate, so having it be able to expire while looking for another monster seems a little off.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 03:10 PM CDT

The missing is the smallest factor in my analysis. Much more important is the fact that it has no effect due to crit randomization and overkill.

Heck just those two factors alone is .32 * .12 = 3.8% chance of any effect.

Make it +1 crit rank post CR and it becomes useful I think. You're still dealing with a seed10, which kinda sucks, but when it does proc you know you are getting a benefit.
On a crit 9 base head/neck shot, it forces the end crit to 6-9, resulting in death. That's at least sometimes helpful.
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 03:18 PM CDT
>>I like you, Viduus, but I can't give this one my seal of approval (for whatever that's worth ;).

So, contrary to popular belief, I don't take critiques of spells I work on as critiques of myself. Generally, if I feel strongly about a design then I'll defend it with numbers/logic, and generally respond well to that type of discussion.

So, first, your assumptions. This will change your calculation slightly.

>>C) Hitting with that spell. (IE: making it through E/P/B)

This shouldn't be an issue. The additional weighting should only come into play when a spell makes contact. So fumbles, and ebp, or just outright misses due to warding and AS/DS resolution shouldn't waste your charge. On crit randomization, I explicitly listed it in the original post, along with design intent, to allow you guys to make an informed analysis of the benefit.

>>D) Doing enough endroll to cause a crit.
>>E) A further 40% - 60% chance roll through crit randomization.

These two items are core design and generally won't be changed to allow small exceptions, like this lore benefit, as they would explicitly violate the core design intent. Any suggestions should be made to work with core design, not bypass it. Unless your issue is with the core design itself, at which point it's a different topic.

So, you've provided some analysis of the usefulness of the benefit. I'm generally feeling that you desire for it to be improved, what specifically?

This spell can generally be broken down into three parts: duration, frequency, and intensity (crit weighting). Virilneus mentioned a problem with duration and threw out a value that he felt it should be, though he didn't provide evidence that such a change was warranted.

You've gone the other route and provided some evidence to suggest there's a deficiency, but haven't really stated what should be changed about it to improve it.

Using your math as an example with 2.93% being the frequency, I think you're implying the frequency is too low for 202 ranks, but you didn't explicitly say that, just that you can't get onboard with the spell. If you feel the frequency is too low, what do you feel 202 ranks in fire lore should get you?

Viduus
Re: HSN: ELR - ELEMENTAL TARGETING (425) UPDATE 09/15/2015 03:57 PM CDT

>Elemental Lore, Fire will grant a chance to cause your next spell to be charged with elemental energy. If a spell is cast within 10 seconds of gaining this charge, and the spell's damage type matches the caster's elemental attunement, the spell will gain a critical rank of weighting over its original power. (release)

>The additional weighting should only come into play when a spell makes contact.

So the first needs to be edited to "cause your next successful hit to be charged with elemental energy"?
Prev_page Previous 1