1 3 Next Next_page
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 08:34 AM CST
<< Is there a reason you have to hold the gems to see the descriptions? I know i can see the description of my sword in its sheath, yest I cant see a gem on the ground or in a pouch. >>

Considering a VERY large gem 'might' be about the size of your thumb, the average gem is rather small. It would be like seeing a coin on the ground and then being asked to read what year it was printed in while you were standing over it. Chances are, you're gonna have to pick it up to tell.

Lucos

If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your face.
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 09:00 AM CST
I'm with Elf-girl on this one. Yes, the legend exists, and many characters would know it, but I'm fairly certain the gem's description isn't the appropriate venue. If you LOOK at a gem, you should get what it LOOKS like, not where it came from, what elements it's composed of, how much it's worth, etc. Put the legend in an outside source or have people tell it or something, I don't think it belongs where it's currently placed.

-Copertop
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 09:56 AM CST
While certainly neat, I really wondered at what strange sequence of events behind the scenes that led to the gem descriptions getting priority over other more important things that needed doing.

Ah well, mine is not to question why...but I still do it anyway! :)

That being said, and seeing legends and such referred to in the gem descriptions (which I do not have a problem with) when are FLOWERS (which already have an official document) going to receive the same treatment in-game?

~Jay

"I'm a lawyer, you idiot!" - Rustler's Rhapsody
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 10:08 AM CST
The gems could have certainly simply have been some fun little side project. I could certainly see someone taking a break from a big project, glancing at a list of gem names, working on a couple, checking them off, then heading back to something much bigger.

Rail
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 10:09 AM CST
A new take on the legend in a gem descript.

Perhaps the stories of these gems are so well known, you can't help but think of them when you look at them. ;)

Rail
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 10:09 AM CST
Quite frankly, I'd rather see things done in game other than descriptions to gems and flowers. It is a nice though, though, and thank you.

-Kristin

"I can try to pretend, I can try to forget
But it's driving me mad, going out of my head"
-All the Things She Said by TATU
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 10:11 AM CST
Remember that these gem descriptions might have been a long-term project just come to fruition, or work done months ago that (finally) got a chance to clear the QC queue (after all the GS4 stuff got marked "high priority, urgent!").

The same sort of thing happened with critters, you'll recall, when GM whatshisname got hired. I kind of think it was E-something, but it escapes me. (I know the PC name, of course. <mumble> Damn these 'Cons! I know people by names I can't call them.)
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 07:42 PM CST
>Remember that these gem descriptions might have been a long-term project just come to fruition, or work done months ago that (finally) got a chance to clear the QC queue (after all the GS4 stuff got marked "high priority, urgent!").

Indeed, a fair number of them were written quite a while ago by GM Ethereon, who isn't even on staff any more. Beautiful work. It was a pleasure to see them finally go out.

Mitra
March of Rhymes: Random Clothing and Container Treasure Generator 03/04/2004 08:13 PM CST
Treasures won may now take form,
In things that differ from the norm.
Knapsacks, backpacks, plain sacks and pouches,
From a creature that stalks or one that crouches.
More clothing to better suit your living,
And all are random in their giving.

An improved, more robust treasure system will now provide more randomized options in clothing and containers found as treasure. Enjoy!
Re: March of Rhymes: Random Clothing and Container Treasure Generator 03/04/2004 09:28 PM CST
Here's hoping for a catnip bag! Woooo!

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: March of Rhymes: Random Clothing and Container Treasure Generator 03/04/2004 09:30 PM CST
While I haven't found anything that really tickles my fancy, I must say that it does spice up the treasure system slightly. Instead of finding 100,000 different colors of a shawl, now I at least get some variety:

You search the vaespilon.
You discard the vaespilon's useless equipment.
It had 277 silvers on it.
You gather the remaining 277 coins.
Interesting, it carried a tailored dark brown blouse with it.
It had nothing else of value.
All the malice and magic that once held the vaespilon together dissipates, leaving nothing but a husk which crumbles to dust.

It didn't carry any silver.
It had an uncut diamond on it!
Interesting, it carried a moonstone inset ora bowl with it.
All the malice and magic that once held the vaespilon together dissipates, leaving nothing but a husk which crumbles to dust.

>loot
It didn't carry any silver.
Interesting, it carried a patched satin bonnet with it.
>

Tha-thump.

>l bon
You see nothing unusual.
>get bon
You pick up a patched satin bonnet.
>inspect my bon
You carefully inspect your satin bonnet.

You determine that you could wear the bonnet on your head.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>wear bonnet
You put a patched satin bonnet on your head.
>

Mmm-Mmmph.

>nod
You nod.
>'Mmm-Mmmph, indeed. Such fashion.
You say, "Mmm-Mmmph, indeed. Such fashion."

Tabor.
Re: March of Rhymes: Random Clothing and Container Treasure Generator 03/04/2004 09:36 PM CST
because of rsn, after a while,
won't these unlayered clothes go out of style?
i mean, box-found unique and rare clothes will be great
but unless they're all pinworn shouldn't we wait?

(apologies for the horrible forced rhymes, and quick thanks to whoever did the gem descriptions + sorc guild skill)
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/05/2004 07:55 AM CST
"Indeed, a fair number of them were written quite a while ago by GM Ethereon, who isn't even on staff any more." -- Mitra

There, you see?! I knew it was a GM E-somethingorother!

(For those folks who don't recall, Ethereon was also the guy who went through all the critters in the game, and wrote up descriptions for them if they didn't have one.)
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/05/2004 10:35 AM CST
>>(For those folks who don't recall, Ethereon was also the guy who went through all the critters in the game, and wrote up descriptions for them if they didn't have one.)

Incredible.

Hats off to him and others involved.

--Kinshack's player
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/05/2004 03:27 PM CST
after that tedious of a job I would have left the staff too! hehe.

That really is an acomplishment, thats a damn lotta stuff to do (the creature stuff).

--Alsthar
I'm not a saint... I just make sure to burn all the witnesses.
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/06/2004 12:12 PM CST
Hi everyone! I am collecting the gem descriptions and have been placing them on gs4.org so we can all take a look at the wonderful work the GMs did. There were so many shells we wound up making a separate page just for those. You can find the links here:

http://www.gs4.org/index.php?pagename=Gems
http://www.gs4.org/index.php?pagename=Shells

If you have any additional gems or shells to add, please drop me a line to my play.net address with "Gems" in the subject line. Please be sure to add your character name to the email so I can place you on the credits list! Thanks again!

Augie, Official Tart Girl of Elanthia

Support Your Local Writers! Or become one yourself!
The Elanthian Journal Is Back In Print!
http://www.play.net/gs4/journal_submission.asp

One stop shopping for info: http://www.gs4.org
March of Rhymes: CHE Officer Position Titles 03/08/2004 08:44 PM CST
IOI: 5

Humdrum titles
Gotten you down?
No fun or flavor
On the plaques in the town?

All Chairmen and Secretaries
All one and the same
Neither sugar nor spice
All equally tame

Well, time to rejoice
For adorning the signs
Are Exchequers and Regents
And even some Scribes

Now CHE members can shout and cheer
Custom officer positions are here!

Houses may now decide their officer titles for themselves, and as a result, some Houses now have titles which are not Chairman, Co-Chairman, etc. Each position will now have one of Chairman, Secretary, or Treasurer powers, or no special powers at all. Many officer-related features of the system are restricted to those officers with specific powers.

Current officers will be placed into the numerical positions they currently inhabit. Some Houses may wish to reorder their officers from this, so for the next week (until 11:59 PM Pacific time, Monday March 15), the officers who inhabited the Chairman or Co-Chairman positions may REPORT and ask for it to be done, or contact GM Soraya with a reordering of their current officers (I'm the one who will do it, so send Soraya an e-mail if I'm not around when you REPORT). This is only for reordering the current officers, new officers will need to be INVESTed as normal.

- Ildran
March of Rhymes: EXPEL Extends Its Reach 03/08/2004 09:13 PM CST

Tired of members who never show their face?
Ones you'd like to expel and leave no trace?
Your answer is here, if you have a witness
EXPEL now removes members at a distance

The EXPEL command may now be used on members who are not in the current room, though they must be in the game. All other restrictions still apply.

- Ildran
March of Rhymes: CHE Controller Communication 03/16/2004 10:02 PM CST

E-mails get lost
Or people aren't there
Need something for your event
To set it off with a flare?

Now there's a tool
Which all officers can see
And your messages are there
Instantaneously

A new command is available for communication between House officers and the House Controller: HOUSE NOTE. Type HOUSE alone for usage information. All House officers may use this command.

This command may be used for any communication between single Houses and the House Controller. Please feel free to use it in lieu of e-mail, unless the message is private and you'd prefer it only be seen by the House Controller. As well, messages to all Houses should use the current methods.

- Ildran
March of Rhymes: CHE Rosters 03/16/2004 10:03 PM CST

Can't even remember
Who your members are?
Especially when they live
Somewhere really far?

Then use HOUSE ROSTER

House officers with Chairman or Secretary powers may now view a list of House members with the HOUSE ROSTER command.

As this information was not recorded previously, members are being recorded as they log in. This process has been underway for a couple weeks now, so most House rosters have a sizable number of entries.

- Ildran
March of Rhymes: CHE Voting 03/16/2004 10:03 PM CST

Do the Ayes have it?
Or maybe the Nays?
Do you have an opinion
And officers to sway?

Then cast your ballot
The results could be close
The Elanthian Great Houses
May now hold House votes

Houses may now establish votes for all members via the HOUSE VOTE command. Type HOUSE alone for usage information. An officer must have either Chairman or Secretary powers to administer a vote. Houses may only have one active vote at a time.

All House members are eligible to vote in a House vote. To view or vote in a House vote, a House member must be somewhere on House grounds or in one of the House lounges and then type VOTE HOUSE. A House member may change their vote at any point while the vote is open. If a vote has concluded, a House member may use VOTE HOUSE RESULTS to view the results (until they are cleared by an officer).

House votes may be either open ballot (the identities of the voters and their votes are shown) or secret ballot (only the number of votes for each option are shown), based on the selection of the administering officer. The results for a vote may only be viewed after the vote has been closed, and vote settings may not be changed after voting has begun.

- Ildran
Re: March of Rhymes: CHE Rosters 03/18/2004 10:48 AM CST
Any particular reason why ALL officers can't have access to that information? In our House, the officers in those positions don't have a whole lot to do with member management.

~Lady Indica Saranadu
Librarian, House Sovyn

PS: Great job on all the new CHE stuff, by the way! I'm impressed.
March of Rhymes: CHE Engraver Update 03/30/2004 10:14 PM CST

Have a shield that's just too plain?
Need something to make it less of the same?

You want it engraved, but you ask and listen
Will it work with my favorite system?

Well, watch out for the steel shavings
Here's an upgrade to CHE engravings

The CHE engraver has been updated to allow it to interact with almost all other systems. Engraved items may now be scripted, polished, and have show descriptions in addition to the engraving. They may also be shown to other people.

In addition, the engraver now supports both the previous ASCII art descriptions and new text descriptions of the CHE coats of arms. You may go to the Engraver's in Wehnimer's Landing and ENGRAVE {shield} ASCII to engrave it in ASCII art format, or ENGRAVE {shield} TEXT to engrave it in text format. If you have a previously engraved shield, the Engraver will change the type of engraving (through the same commands) at no charge.

Currently engraved shields will be converted to the new engraving system the first time they are LOOKed at or TAKEn.

- Ildran
March of Rhymes: Teras Isle CHE Clerk 03/31/2004 08:27 PM CST

Flaming rivers don't make you smile?
Now there's a House Clerk on Teras Isle

There is now a Clerk's office on Teras Isle. You can find the Clerk on the top floor of the Company Store.

- Ildran
March of Rhymes: CHE Blackboards 03/31/2004 08:48 PM CST

A message to all!
A party! A ball!
But how to inform?
E-mail is the norm

But an announcement board
Could be just the ticket
Officers using StormFront
Can even point-and-click it

Great Houses may now request blackboards, which may be written on to deliver messages to your members. Blackboards may be read by everyone, but only certain people may write on them.

Multiple blackboards may be linked together so that changes to one are reflected on all.

To request blackboards for your House, please contact the House Controller.

- Ildran
1 3 Next Next_page