Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/26/2004 10:55 AM CST
Okay, I should have said

She said now
I said wow
I wondered how?
Did she not mean now?

Jarmus'
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/26/2004 11:34 AM CST
>>The INVENTORY command will now allow you to filter your worn items by: ARMOR (list only armor and shields), WEAPONS (list only weapons), COMBAT (list both weapons and armor), CONTAINERS (list items that can hold other items), FLUFF (list non-combat, non-container items), and HANDS (list what you're holding).<<

The phrase "will now allow you" made me think now means now. :)
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/26/2004 12:07 PM CST
Now, she said, our inventory to check

You can do it on a boat
You can do it with a goat
You can do it in a tree
You can do it for free
You can do it when you fish
and if you really wish
You can do it with a trout
But I really do doubt....

....that she meant to say now.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/26/2004 03:37 PM CST
or now, as in it is now possible for that to be done.

Never said anything about it being implemented. Lot of things are now made possible with gs4, but that doesn't mean they are avaialble now.

~I hate green eggs and ham, make mine blue.....

You know your a true fan when you shed tears right along with them.......
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/26/2004 06:39 PM CST
March
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/26/2004 10:55 PM CST
Or as they say in Britain,

March

Rail, translating for two continents.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/27/2004 12:22 AM CST
Have you been down under? Down in Austrailia it's called...

March

3 down, 4 to go.

--Alsthar
I'm not a saint... I just make sure to burn all the witnesses.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/27/2004 11:00 AM CST
marzo

~Anyways I think thats it, I don't remember it to well, I sleep often in that class.....

You know your a true fan when you shed tears right along with them.......
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 02/27/2004 12:54 PM CST
Maerz

Eh, who uses umlauts anyways?

Saranali ta nurim balis,

Nilandia and her Erithi

Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.geocities.com/ladynilandia/
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/01/2004 01:28 PM CST
Now you may ask:

Usage: INVENTORY [option]

Where option is one of the following:

ARMOR (list only armor and shields)
WEAPONS (list only weapons)
COMBAT (list both weapons and armor)
CONTAINERS (list items that can hold other items)
FLUFF (list non-combat, non-container items)
HANDS (list what you're holding)
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/01/2004 09:46 PM CST
Ahh. It only lists things you wear. Not quite as usefull as I had imagined. I was picturing INVENTORY WEAPONS would list all weapons you have on your person.

Does not bother me much either way. Thanks for the improvement.

Pickle

(Buy your Blunt weapons at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth)
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/01/2004 10:38 PM CST
>Ahh. It only lists things you wear. Not quite as usefull as I had imagined. I was picturing INVENTORY WEAPONS would list all weapons you have on your person.

Maybe a little annoying if you're into using the ready/store commands, but you can:
>ready weapon clear (if you have one set), then
>ready weapon

That will give you a listing of all weapons in first level of containers (meaning that it won't list weapons that are in containers in containers).

-Ted/Capp

GemStone IV News:
http://www.gs4news.com

Elanthian Journal Submissions:
https://www.play.net/gs4/journal_submission.asp
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/01/2004 11:28 PM CST
>Ahh. It only lists things you wear. Not quite as usefull as I had imagined. I was picturing INVENTORY WEAPONS would list all weapons you have on your person.<

I wanted to do the fully recursive inventory list thing, but since plain old "inventory" doesn't do that to begin with, I figured no one would be very upset that the filters didn't filter something you could never list out to begin with. That, and I wanted to leave the more complex stuff for the layered clothing system.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/01/2004 11:36 PM CST
>>I wanted to do the fully recursive inventory list thing, but since plain old "inventory" doesn't do that to begin with, I figured no one would be very upset that the filters didn't filter something you could never list out to begin with. That, and I wanted to leave the more complex stuff for the layered clothing system.

Sounds good to me. Can we get a pickle verb that identifies all the pickles on your person? Not always pleasent when you find that odd pickle here and there thats past it's prime.

Pickle

Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/02/2004 08:44 AM CST
"I wanted to do the fully recursive inventory list thing, but since plain old "inventory" doesn't do that to begin with, I figured no one would be very upset that the filters didn't filter something you could never list out to begin with." -- Josh

That's a shame, because this is actually the highly useful variant that I was inquiring about. Same thing with the banknotes: Okay, sure, wealth tells me that I've got it... but bugger me if I can find the damn thing.

Many's the time I know full well I put a weapon on a certain character--and I know it's not in the locker--but shucks if I can actually locate the sucker in <pick a container>, because it's inside of something inside of something inside of a third thing.

Not least in usefulnes, mind you, because the encumbrance of the thing is hampering me nowadays.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/02/2004 09:53 AM CST
Can you get rid of the "Type INVENTORY HELP for more options." PLease. It really really is annoying. Anywho, i have it squelched so its not a big deal.

Player of Malisai

I am become death, the shatterer of worlds;
Waiting that hour that ripens to their doom
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/02/2004 04:48 PM CST
>i have it squelched so its not a big deal.<

That's what I figured people would do.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/02/2004 05:54 PM CST
i figured people would give me countless millions of silvers for being so fun to have around in game...

damn unreliable people.

--Alsthar
I'm not a saint... I just make sure to burn all the witnesses.
Re: New March of Rhymes Feature: Inventory Filters 03/02/2004 08:55 PM CST
Any chance you can add INVENTORY REGISTERED? That possible?

I'd like to know what exactly that I am carrying or wearing is or isn't registered.

~Jay
March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/02/2004 09:13 PM CST
Hey now, what is that you've found?
A shiny gem upon the ground!
A closer look will now reveal
More of each bright stone's appeal
There's lots to learn and lots to share
About these gems both plain and rare

Descriptions have been added to all gems. So take a look!

Mitra
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/02/2004 09:15 PM CST
Mitra, they look fantastic.

-Mike/Galesmight AIM: MDB7282
"It's not a who you go to bed with at night, it's if when you climb out of bed in the morning you have a job." Rev. Al Sharpton
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/02/2004 09:51 PM CST
My dragon's-tear emerald doesn't have a description.

~D
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/02/2004 09:54 PM CST
Thinkin further, it does have a spell in it so I guess it's a magic item now and wasn't included in any mass gem conversion that might have gone on.
Ignore me.

~D
March of Rhymes: Speech, Tables, and Groups 03/02/2004 10:45 PM CST
One colon is good, two are all right
But no colons are a StormFronter's delight!
Click on a link, select from the menu,
Directed speech just got its own venue!

Your friends stand outside with no invitation
Stewing and fuming with mounting frustration
But now the old tables won't cause such dismay
Those you've befriended can walk in right away!

Some folks follow, others lead
But here's a helpful change indeed
Need to switch your leader fast?
For this GROUP LEADER's unsurpassed
Did someone try to grab your hand,
But dammit all, you'd closed your band?
No more fumbling to and fro
You can join them, quid pro quo!

Directed speech can be achieved in StormFront through a dialog window, those you've befriended can join you at a table without being invited, and GROUP has several additions - take a look at GROUP HELP for details.

Mitra
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 05:54 AM CST
Several of the gems I've been fiding have a weird symbol in their descriptions, as seen here:

You remove a metallic black pearl from in your leather rucksack.
>l my pearl
Ripples of silver and gold flow over the metallic black surface of the pearl, like illuminated waves upon a dark and lifeless world.E Intermittent sparks of ruby, emerald and sapphire fade to grey as the pearl's tenebrous grasp swallows the light.

You remove a fiery ruby talon from in your leather rucksack.
>l my talon
Unusually long, the talon curves gently, but tapers dramatically to a sharpened point.E Swirls of glimmering gold spiral down the talon, like churning clouds about to give birth to a tornado.E At the eye of the storm, a slender scarlet ray washes over the glistening onyx in hypnotic fashion.

See the E's in there?

Fantastic job, though! Now not just the Rift gems have descriptions. I wish these were able to be SHOWN to other people, however.

Tabor.
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 08:06 AM CST
I'm all for every item in game having a description.. I get frustrated trying to look at everything and getting a "you see nothing special" message...

But!

One wee note of constructive thought?

"Generally oval in shape from the constant buffeting of the ocean, a deep blue mermaid's-tear sapphire carries the coloration of the ocean's depths. Seafarers' tales claim the gems are deposited near shore as the result of mermaids lamenting the loss of their loved ones to landfaring predators. The sapphire is closer to opaque than to transparent, and the entire gem glows brilliantly when struck by the light."

How can we tell the seafarers' tale just by looking at the item? Obviously, we couldn't. The physical description is quite nice, and a welcome addition... the history lesson seems out of place though.

Just my two pence. :)

Visit my favorite website!
http://www.littlenibble.com
GemStone Humor and More
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 08:24 AM CST
Good point, Elf-Girl. :)

"You recall that seafarers' tales claim the gems are deposited near shore as the result of mermaids lamenting the loss of their loved ones to landfaring predators."
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 08:39 AM CST
Its mood music. I like it. Let it be, I say, let it be!

Rail
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 08:40 AM CST
<<See the E's in there?

Its Elnath trying to make his mark for infamy.

Or...a weird typo.

Rail
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 11:45 AM CST
<<How can we tell the seafarers' tale just by looking at the item? Obviously, we couldn't. The physical description is quite nice, and a welcome addition... the history lesson seems out of place though.>>

It is not a history lesson but explains where the gem got its name. Something characters hunting in the area will already know, but looking at the gem reminds them of the tale. Nothing wrong with it at all:)

Great job on the gems, now I really might have to start collecting all of them <g>

Rox/Cl
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 11:47 AM CST
<<See the E's in there?>>

Reminds me of the typos from the Cloak of Night cloaks at Ebon Gate.

Saranali ta nurim balis,

Nilandia and her Erithi

Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 11:50 AM CST
<<How can we tell the seafarers' tale just by looking at the item? Obviously, we couldn't. The physical description is quite nice, and a welcome addition... the history lesson seems out of place though.>>

Depends on your perspective, really. You could RP as not knowing the tale. Just because the player sees it, doesn't mean the character knows it. I've seen some really fun RP with that sort of thing. I've known characters that are petrified of disks because they follow them around, but I don't doubt the player knows what it is.

Yes, you see it. Does your character have to as well? Not necessarily.

Saranali ta nurim balis,

Nilandia and her Erithi

Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 12:20 PM CST

> You could RP as not knowing the tale. Just because the player sees it, doesn't mean the character knows it.

You mean use my imagination????

Imagine that... uh ....

Avaia, player of
__

> "I don't know, but that dead guy just attacked someone." - Lila Brown

Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 12:41 PM CST
Trust me, Avaia, it's fun. Way I RP Nilandia in Plat, she's extremely naive about the world. Doesn't even know what a chicken is. Some of the people's attempts to explain one have proved a lot of fun.

Saranali ta nurim balis,

Nilandia and her Erithi

Re: March of Rhymes: Speech, Tables, and Groups 03/03/2004 01:42 PM CST
Yeay for intelligent group mechanics.

Only one request. "Group Befriend" - Only allows those you've befriended to join or take you into a group.

Only makes sense to go along with the table changes.

- Greminty
Re: March of Rhymes: Speech, Tables, and Groups 03/03/2004 01:49 PM CST
>Only one request. "Group Befriend" - Only allows those you've befriended to join or take you into a group.<

I'm a little mystified why you would want this. I certainly wouldn't want to put everyone I ever group with for this purpose or that on my befriend list as the list is limited (and it would be quite a hassle to do each time).

Can you explain a bit why you think this is a good idea? I mean GROUP CLOSE still exists, and the changes make it incumbent on you to join the person who tried to hold your hand and found your group closed, so the choice remains yours.
Re: March of Rhymes: Speech, Tables, and Groups 03/03/2004 02:32 PM CST
>Can you explain a bit why you think this is a good idea? I mean GROUP CLOSE still exists, and the changes make it incumbent on you to join the person who tried to hold your hand and found your group closed, so the choice remains yours.

Yeah, it's not a big thing. It's not an alternative to group open (cause then you have the problem of adding people to your list when you want them to join you, like you said), it's just an alternative to group closed. Personally, I like to keep my group closed a lot of the time to keep people from dragging me off places, but it would be nice to not have to worry about for people I do trust.

For me, 80-90% of the people I group with are in my befriend list. For the people that aren't I would have to group open or double join (join after they tried to hold). It'd just cut down marginally on what I have to think about.

I think a lot of people who keep their group closed all the time would use group befriend if it was available.

Moreover, it just makes sense. If my friend comes along, grabs my hand and drags me off, I'll follow, but someone I don't know? No way.

- Greminty
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 08:42 PM CST
>Several of the gems I've been fiding have a weird symbol in their descriptions

That should be all fixed now.

Mitra
Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/03/2004 10:38 PM CST
>That should be all fixed now.

I, the great and powerful pickle, award you a pickle star for pomptness.

Pickle

Re: March of Rhymes: Gem Descriptions 03/04/2004 07:34 AM CST
Is there a reason you have to hold the gems to see the descriptions? I know i can see the description of my sword in its sheath, yest I cant see a gem on the ground or in a pouch.

Shallimar Wyldcat