Prev_page Previous 1
Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 05:56 PM CDT
The major elemental spell 520 - Mage Armor has been released. This spell replaces the previous spell Stone Skin.

Mage Armor manipulates the elemental forces within a wizard's body, forming a layer of elemental energy that shifts with their movements. This self-cast spell provides additional protection from physical attacks in the form of critical padding.

The base amount of padding for native casters is somewhat at 20 Major Elemental ranks, increasing every 15 Major Elemental ranks to a max of heavy padding at 95 ranks.

Note: Non-native casters can only achieve light critical padding with this spell, and elemental aspects are not available to non-native casters.
Note: The critical padding provided by this spell and it's aspects stack with other forms of padding.
The armor can be further enhanced by focusing on specific elements to further shore up defenses via CAST <Element>. Focusing on an element will produce additional defenses based on lore training in the respective elemental lore.

Focusing on the Fire Aspect of this spell allows a mage to channel his defenses into stronger offensive attacks.
Focusing on the Water Aspect of this spell boosts the mage's defenses against dispel attacks.
Focusing on the Earth Aspect of this spell will shield the mage in a layer of rock when he becomes stunned.
Focusing on the Air Aspect of this spell will allow the mage to carry more.
Focusing on the Lightning Aspect of this spell will stun all enemies in the room for a short time when the mage becomes stunned.

More specific details can be found on the wiki at this link https://gswiki.play.net/Mage_Armor_(520)

Credit to goes GameMaster Konacon for working on the code for this release.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:01 PM CDT
Looks intriguing!

Gonna have to go play with this one a bit.

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:06 PM CDT
Isn't the Friday news dump for bad things?
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:17 PM CDT
Thanks for all the work on this new spell!

Are we sure it's live though? The messaging seems a mix of both.

>stop 520
With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Stone Skin spell.
The layer of stone surrounding you crumbles away.

>pre 520
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Stone Skin...
Your spell is ready.

>cast fire
You gesture.
A layer of raw elemental energy forms around you.
You shift the focus of the surrounding energies into fire.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>spell active
You currently have the following active spells:
Elemental Defense I ................ 0:43:15
Elemental Defense II ............... 0:43:15
Elemental Defense III .............. 0:43:15
Elemental Targeting ................ 0:43:15
Elemental Barrier .................. 0:43:15
Thurfel's Ward ..................... 1:35:15
Elemental Deflection ............... 1:35:15
Elemental Bias ..................... 1:35:15
Strength ........................... 1:35:15
Elemental Focus .................... 1:35:15
Stone Skin ......................... 1:59:55
Haste .............................. 1:08:15
Temporal Reversion ................. 1:35:15
Prismatic Guard .................... 1:09:15
Mass Blur .......................... 1:09:15
Melgorehn's Aura ................... 1:09:15

Also, can we get a detailed table for the earth lore aspect as with the other elements? The numbers from the seed 3 summation chart don't work out to superbly, unless the critical padding page on the Wiki is incorrect. Thanks!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:19 PM CDT
Tease! It's still Stone Skin. :P (Kinda.)

prep 520
You recite a series of mystical phrases while raising your hands, invoking Stone Skin...
Your spell is ready.
>cast water
You gesture.
A layer of raw elemental energy forms around you.

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:41 PM CDT

>>Are we sure it's live though? The messaging seems a mix of both.

The spell and it's effects are live, but I have a little additional work to get the prep messaging updated appropriately, will be done shortly.

>>Also, can we get a detailed table for the earth lore aspect as with the other elements? The numbers from the seed 3 summation chart don't work out to superbly, unless the critical padding page on the Wiki is incorrect.

Afraid that's as detailed as I can get at the moment, the superbly comment is correct, but did include enhancives to match the other statements if that helps.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:45 PM CDT
Just a brief update.

From "first cast" of 520 with CAST <ELEMENT>

Fire - works
Earth - works
Air - works
Lightning - works
Water - only works if you cast an element other than water first, then cast again with water (so two casts required to get to water).

Spell Active shows Stone Skin (as per LadyFluer's post)

And after casting it up, when stopping (to continue testing)

>>>stop 520
>>With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Stone Skin spell.
>>The layer of stone surrounding you crumbles away.

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:49 PM CDT
>Afraid that's as detailed as I can get at the moment, the superbly comment is correct, but did include enhancives to match the other statements if that helps.

250 ranks at seed 3 summation = +20 or upper end of masterfully according to the Wiki, so something must be incorrect somewhere or I'm not understanding it. Still very interesting though!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 06:54 PM CDT

250 ranks at seed 3 summation = +20 or upper end of masterfully according to the Wiki, so something must be incorrect somewhere or I'm not understanding it. Still very interesting though!

You're forgetting the base padding for the stunned effect, before lore training is considered in the calcs.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:00 PM CDT

>>I understand if you can't give more specific information, but the Wiki critical padding table lists superbly as 21-25 points and phenomenal as 31-35, so with an exactly 10 point difference even at the minimum thresholds for each, the base padding is already included in this statement.

I see your confusion. There's a base benefit for the spell, a base benefit for the stunned effect, and a lore benefit for earth lore.

I'll see about trying to make it more clear once I've stomped these issues being reported.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:01 PM CDT
Never mind, I understand it now. Thanks!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:06 PM CDT
Heh. Nice.

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:13 PM CDT
I removed it in case you want people to figure this out on their own, but this is very nice. Thanks!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:13 PM CDT
Looks pretty good, and a SUPER thank you for updating the wiki!

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:27 PM CDT
If you get a chance, is it possible to set INCANT settings for the elemental aspect so it defaults to a particular aspect with mana spellup? Thanks!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 07:33 PM CDT
Thanks also for the ability to get a base benefit for each elemental aspect before lore bonuses are applied. This is greatly appreciated and finally the correct direction for things to be moving.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 08:07 PM CDT
This looks like a pretty awesome and fun spell.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:13 PM CDT
Thank you, it is wonderful and a great addition! Kudos to all :)

- Whill
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:15 PM CDT
>>>stop 520
>>With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Stone Skin spell.
>>The layer of stone surrounding you crumbles away.

Fixed.

>>Water - only works if you cast an element other than water first, then cast again with water (so two casts required to get to water).

>>Doug

I'm having trouble replicating this issue. Is it still an issue for you? If so can you consistently cause it, or is it random?

As a side note I'm aware of the issue with spell preps, mnemonics, and spell active messaging, and have a fix for it, but I can't push it just yet. The description shouldn't impact the function of the spell - aside from being able to use the new mnemonic.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:17 PM CDT
>>If you get a chance, is it possible to set INCANT settings for the elemental aspect so it defaults to a particular aspect with mana spellup? Thanks!

Once I'm certain the core functionality is working as intended I'll circle back to this to see what can be done.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:25 PM CDT
>Once I'm certain the core functionality is working as intended I'll circle back to this to see what can be done.

Thanks! Once the other messaging is updated, will there be a way to determine which elemental aspect we've chosen in case we forget?
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:38 PM CDT

here's another:

>imbed 520 in rod using raise for 4 charges
You concentrate on funneling your power into the rod.

You feel that you have successfully placed 4 charges of the Stone Skin spell into it.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:44 PM CDT
>>I'm having trouble replicating this issue. Is it still an issue for you? If so can you consistently cause it, or is it random?

Wasn't at the time, could reproduce it consistently. But. . . now I can't! I'll keep an eye on it though. And I like the random incant too. ;)

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 09:47 PM CDT
So just to be perfectly clear the description says the padding applies to physical attacks. Is it safe to assume that an all inclusive list of those is weapon swings, CMANs, and SMR style attacks that are physical in nature?

Tal, player of.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 10:15 PM CDT
5 points of padding from the initial cast.
+3 points for having 65 MjE spell ranks.
+5 or +6 points for having SWCP armor

I will have 13-14 points of crit padding when I cast the spell. Awesome.

If I happen to get stunned:
+13 points for having 130 ranks EL:E
Total of 26-27 points of crit padding.

That's actually pretty cool. I'll have to see how things work out from this point on. Nice update from what I see.

-Drumpel
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 10:24 PM CDT
All messaging related references to stone skin should now be gone, also the new prep MAGEARMOR should now work. If you continue to see stone skin references then let me know.

>>So just to be perfectly clear the description says the padding applies to physical attacks...

You should find yourself protected from most attacks while stunned, assuming you have the earth aspect active. There's explicit messaging when the earth aspect kicks in to protect you so it'll be obvious when it's there and obvious when it's missing, I'll leave it as a exercise to discover what it looks like.

If you find you're not covered by an attack and it seems like it should be something covered, then let me know.

Viduus
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/04/2016 10:32 PM CDT
520 should be excluded from use with 420 since 220 also cannot be imbedded/blessed as a Major circle spell.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 10:18 AM CDT
520 should be excluded from use with 420 since 220 also cannot be imbedded/blessed as a Major circle spell.

There is zero reason to exclude it. The benefits for non-native casters is capped at the addition of light crit padding with no elemental benefits. This allows us to imbed something for others that is potentially useful. I was thrilled to discover I could provide an additional service. Please DO NOT remove this from imbed.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 10:22 AM CDT
There is absolutely a reason to exclude it because 220 is excluded. I wish all wizard spells would stop being given away like water to every other profession. Wizards can give everything away but are much more limited in what they can get from other pure professions as it is, so there is zero need to further this imbalance.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 10:50 AM CDT
>There is zero reason to exclude it. The benefits for non-native casters is capped at the addition of light crit padding with no elemental benefits. This allows us to imbed something for others that is potentially useful. I was thrilled to discover I could provide an additional service. Please DO NOT remove this from imbed.

I would buy this argument if wizard spells weren't 42378423x more readily available to other classes than other classes' spells are available to us.

>There is absolutely a reason to exclude it because 220 is excluded. I wish all wizard spells would stop being given away like water to every other profession. Wizards can give everything away but are much more limited in what they can get from other pure professions as it is, so there is zero need to further this imbalance.

^ That.

~ Methais
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:06 AM CDT
>>I'm having trouble replicating this issue.

Sent a log - seeing how I can best recreate the problem.

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:20 AM CDT
I'd think you should make an argument that 200s spells should be more available in holy receptacle instead of making 520 inaccessible.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:20 AM CDT

>520 should be excluded from use with 420 since 220 also cannot be imbedded/blessed as a Major circle spell.

I thought this was a joke until I saw the responses. While I get some of the other reasons, the comparison to 220 is silly. No one who can normally cast 220 can cast Magic Item Create. It takes extreme efforts to imbed anything from that whole circle. By that logic, they should make 501 thru 519 not able to be imbedded, too.

The spells do completely different things. For example, 219 is not imbeddible, but 519 is. They just have the same last 2 numbers. Mage Armor is already specifically balanced for "non-native" casters.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:23 AM CDT
When referencing spiritual spells, all the exclusions are via 325, which is the cleric's version of 420. So it doesn't take extreme effort at all and it's 100% comparable.

I'm still waiting for Curse of the Star then, since we're in favor of sharing everything. Meanwhile, I'd prefer wizard spells to stop being catered to bot uses.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:28 AM CDT
>I'd think you should make an argument that 200s spells should be more available in holy receptacle instead of making 520 inaccessible.

I'd never argue for this as I believe every profession should be treated less as bots instead of requiring every character to eventually need every spell to get by again, regressing to GS3 levels of accessibility.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 12:19 PM CDT
FYI - this felt like 2 seconds, not 2 rounds. Might actually have been 1 round (time dialation in combat), but no way it was two.

A half-elven marauder springs from the shadows and strikes at you!
[Roll result: 146 (open d100: 45)]
A half-elven marauder delivers a blow to your head with his longsword!
...8 damage!
Roundtime changed to 2 seconds.
You are stunned!
You are dazed!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
You are still stunned.
>
The raw elemental energy surrounding you suddenly sparks with electricity.
Sparks surrounding you arc out and hit a grizzly bear, stunning him!
Sparks surrounding you arc out and hit an arctic wolverine, with no effect.
Sparks surrounding you arc out and hit an arctic wolverine, stunning him!
Sparks surrounding you arc out and hit a halfling highwayman, stunning him!
Sparks surrounding you arc out and hit a half-elven marauder, stunning him!
>
A caribou lopes in!
>l
[Northern Mountains, Timberline]
You notice a caribou, a caribou (dead), a grizzly bear (stunned), an arctic wolverine (stunned), an arctic wolverine (stunned), a halfling highwayman (stunned) and a half-elven marauder (stunned).
Obvious paths: southeast, southwest
>
A halfling highwayman stands there, dazed and confused.
>
A caribou rears back and kicks her front hooves at a half-elven marauder!
Reeling and staggering, the half-elven marauder barely blocks the attack with his reinforced shield!
>
[Roll result: 97 (open d100: 81)]
A halfling highwayman feints to the left, and you almost buy the ruse, but you recover just in time.

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 12:30 PM CDT
>I thought this was a joke until I saw the responses. While I get some of the other reasons, the comparison to 220 is silly. No one who can normally cast 220 can cast Magic Item Create. It takes extreme efforts to imbed anything from that whole circle. By that logic, they should make 501 thru 519 not able to be imbedded, too.

The 200s circle is definitely imbedible: Clerics can imbed, but only into orb gems, not magic items.

https://gswiki.play.net/Holy_Receptacle_(325)#Spell_Imbedding
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 01:00 PM CDT
Also, I'm trying to clean up the wiki a bit to clarify things, especially on the Fire Aspect side.

>Obtaining 15 ranks in fire will grant a +20 stance bonus, allowing the mage to remain in advanced stance while obtaining all benefits of offensive. The maximum benefit (base+bonus) of +36 is obtained at 231 fire ranks.

Shouldn't that be a -20/-36 stance bonus, or at least an unsigned stance bonus of 20/36 for clarity?

Everywhere else, defensive stance is reported as 100%, offensive as 0%, even though the PARRY verb is long gone.

When you channel a spell, your stance goes from, say, 40% to 4% for that cast.

To me, I could see that as a -36 bonus or a 36 bonus, but not a +36 bonus. A negative bonus is confusing for some people who haven't had the pleasure of dealing with THAC0, so I'd probably want to go with an unsigned 36 bonus.

Thoughts?
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 01:12 PM CDT
Would it be possible to add a cooldown to spell active/active spells for the water aspect dispel block?
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 01:25 PM CDT
I understand you're trying to frame this argument as pro vs anti bot but that is a fallacious argument. Even if someone has a wizard that is not their main that does not make them a bot. Is your sorcerer a bot because you consider your wizard your main? Even an extreme example like my wizard who has never hunted (I think I will be changing this with the enchant changes) is not a bot. He is a fully fleshed out character with a recognizable personality that prefers to create things rather than destroy. He's a master forger and enchanter, as well as a wizard guild master and a pretty solid PC player. Just because his play style isn't one you would prefer does not make him a bot.

You are completely ignoring those who want to have more to offer others in this multi-player game. Many of us love having utility we can provide to other players. In this case it's self-cast so other players have to actually train MIU, probably purchase an imbedded item to have access to it and it won't be anywhere near as strong as what wizards get for themselves. My main is a ranger and I would love to have 620 (what I call the empty spell slot) be more usable and more desired by other players. I would prefer to see more spells allowed to be imbedded with 325 as well. Light crit padding added on to what you already have is not going to make or break anyone but hopefully it's enough that some people will seek it out.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

Prev_page Previous 1