Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 02:03 PM CDT
Is this working as intended? The water ability was not within the cooldown/recovery period. On a previous hunt, it blocked the dispel providing this message: The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it absorbs the magic.

In the following dispel, it only attempts to absorb the magic.

An Ithzir seer fades into view!
An Ithzir seer suddenly opens her eyes and stares directly at you!

A pale, flickering nimbus coalesces around you, then vanishes in a brilliant flash!

You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.
The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it attempts to absorb the magic.
You feel the aura of confidence leave you.
The powerful look leaves you.
The air about you stops shimmering.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 02:09 PM CDT
>Is this working as intended? The water ability was not within the cooldown/recovery period. On a previous hunt, it blocked the dispel providing this message: The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it absorbs the magic.

>In the following dispel, it only attempts to absorb the magic.

>An Ithzir seer fades into view!
>An Ithzir seer suddenly opens her eyes and stares directly at you!

>A pale, flickering nimbus coalesces around you, then vanishes in a brilliant flash!

>You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.
>The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it attempts to absorb the magic.
>You feel the aura of confidence leave you.
>The powerful look leaves you.
>The air about you stops shimmering.

I think the water thing only absorbs one spell. So if something casts mass dispel it's only going to prevent one spell from being dispelled but the rest will still drop.

~ Methais
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 02:16 PM CDT
>I think the water thing only absorbs one spell. So if something casts mass dispel it's only going to prevent one spell from being dispelled but the rest will still drop. ~ Methais

No, it blocks 1 dispel attempt.

Per the release statement and GS wiki:

Water Aspect
Focusing on water will allow a mage to negate dispelling attacks. The base benefit of this aspect is the negation of one dispel every 30 seconds.

Training in Elemental Lore, Water will reduce the 30 second cooldown one additional second based on seed 1 summation of ranks. The maximum benefit of this aspect is a 21 second reduction, to a minimum of 9 seconds, obtained at 231 water lore bonus.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 02:16 PM CDT
>>So if something casts mass dispel it's only going to prevent one spell from being dispelled but the rest will still drop.

NooOOOOoOOoO!

Please?

Doug
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 02:27 PM CDT
It blocks the dispel attempt, not a certain number of spells.

An Ithzir seer fades into view!
An Ithzir seer suddenly opens his eyes and stares directly at you!

A pale, flickering nimbus coalesces around you, then vanishes in a brilliant flash!

The raw elemental energy surrounding you takes on a watery look as it absorbs the magic.

I posted because after the first time it blocked the dispel attempt, it failed to block an attempt and provided a different message during the next hunt.

There is either a bug in the cooldown/recovery period. Or it is using borrowed code from 319 and it expects us to recast the spell to refresh the ability.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 03:30 PM CDT
I always read 1 dispel to mean 1 actual dispel, not one dispel attempt. I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. It's basically 1701 layered on top.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 03:37 PM CDT
Any character that provides utility without needing to be present during combat situations, whether they are someone's main or has their own personality or whatever, by definition, is a bot.

I'm not against sharing spells. I'm against giving away all wizard spells to all and sundry without requiring a wizard to be present as part of the group in hunting. Clerics are protected via the way 307/310 are set up, empaths with their lore-based major spiritual spells that have group effects, etc. Most sorcerer spells are of a unique nature such that they can't be shared at all (712, Curse of the Star). Profession imbalance occurs when all other pures can access all of a wizard's best spells without even requiring the presence of a wizard in combat, while a wizard is afforded the benefit of none of the best of what the other pures have even if those characters are taken along for the hunt.

Sorcerers can access nearly every spell except a small handful with 714. Clerics and empaths can do the same via 208. Wizards are the only ones left out in the cold, and yet, all of a wizard's spells continues to be widely accessible to all.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 03:39 PM CDT
>That seems to be a very interesting 'limit' to the spell's capabilities.
>It only dropped non-elemental spells. Presuming you had elemental spells, they survived.
>It's entirely possible that this effect only takes on elemental dispel attempts.
>Doug

I believe the spell being cast is 230, which will target spiritual spells first, and then go for elemental spells. I always have spiritual spells active, so it's not going to hit my elemental spells.

>I always read 1 dispel to mean 1 actual dispel, not one dispel attempt. I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. It's basically 1701 layered on top.
>LadyFleur

>https://gswiki.play.net/Mage_Armor_(520)
>Water Aspect
>Focusing on water will allow a mage to negate dispelling attacks.

It specifically says on the gswiki, negate dispel attack. I see this as the wizard version of spell 319, which blocks all types of attacks.

1701 is simply the first spell to be dispelled by a dispel attack. It doesn't negate the dispel attack in any way.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 03:46 PM CDT
For some reason, 520 is taking 99 mana to cast.

>mana
Maximum Mana Points: 307
Remaining Mana Points: 109

Mana gained off node: 56
Mana gained on node: 86

Mana Control abilities:
MANA PULSE - Manually invoke a mana pulse to gain mana as if you were off a node.
MANA SPELLUP - Instantly cast all of your defensive spells.

You have used the MANA SPELLUP ability 0 out of 4 times for today.

>prep 520
Mana surges through you in a brilliant display of silvery motes which skitter across your skin as you prepare Mage Armor...
Your spell is ready.

>cast water
You gesture.
A layer of raw elemental energy forms around you.
You shift the focus of the surrounding energies into water.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>mana
Maximum Mana Points: 307
Remaining Mana Points: 10
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 06:08 PM CDT
>>I'm not against sharing spells. I'm against giving away all wizard spells to all and sundry without requiring a wizard to be present as part of the group in hunting.

This spell seems a lot less like 220 and a lot more like 319, which I believe can be imbedded into gems with 325. Similar to 319, this spell has substantially reduced value for non-native casters. They cannot cast it with the elemental trigger because it has to be activated via a verb, and not via the cast method. It will only ever provide someone with "Light Critical Padding", which is likely +1 padding. That's basically useless in a similar way that a non-cleric using 319 gets next to no benefit against like-level foes because they will never have sufficient Cleric CS to make that spell activate reliably.

I don't see any reason for the developers to put any effort into removing this spell from the list of spells that can be imbedded into magic items via 420. Nor any reason to argue against it being "shared" due to the massively diminished power of the spell when cast via any other means than having trained MjE.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 06:10 PM CDT

Definitely agree with Fleur on this. Shoot, two of our utility spells can be obtained from a daily login boost (along with being fairly common drops).

In my opinion, if there's a middle ground for wanting it to be utility based (I'm not for it) we could go the route of other spells and have a greatly reduced duration or require the wizard to be grouped for the spell to stay up.

Let's stop giving every trick in our bags away.

- Whill
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 08:14 PM CDT
It literally requires zero effort for Dev to put 520 on a blocked imbed list, the way they did with 215 and all the other exclusions. It's the principle of giving away level 20 spells to all and sundry that is the issue here.
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 09:06 PM CDT
>or require the wizard to be grouped for the spell to stay up

Do this, but increase the padding the group gets.

~ Methais
Re: Mage Armor (520) Released! 11/05/2016 11:16 PM CDT
<Sorcerers can access nearly every spell except a small handful with 714. Clerics and empaths can do the same via 208.>

All 714 does is make scrolls last longer. Any character can train in Arcane Symbols and have access to all the same spells... including 208 (there's even a scroll in the Landing pawnshop with 208 on it as I type this).

Speaking of 208, in 20 years I've been asked to prep a spell so someone could steal it exactly once (years ago a high level empath stole 318 from my cleric when there were multiple bodies that needed a raise). It might have the potential to be useful if you can ward someone well enough to steal spells from them, but it's certainly not used much.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page