1 2 3 5 Next Next_page
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/16/2016 03:34 AM CDT
>and I like the fact that it doesn't autoprep anymore.

What's funny is those elemental rings that let you summon a ball of whatever with a bunch of scripts, when you cast spells at it to recharge it with rapid fire it still works like prenerf with 0 RT and spell re-prep.

If only i could figure out how to trigger that in combat.

~ Methais

Reading the wizard nerfs:
http://i.imgur.com/hNaDm98.gif
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/16/2016 08:41 AM CDT
Ut oh! Elemental ring nerf incoming lol.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/16/2016 09:47 AM CDT
>Thank all the Arkati we weren't threatened with cats. . .

Worse - Taylor Swift.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/16/2016 10:18 AM CDT

Of those 58 probably 10 more actual players the rest were Bots... Just saying
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/17/2016 07:36 AM CDT
Still seeing a few things..

You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Cold Snap...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an Ithzir janissary.
An airy mist rolls into the area, carrying a harsh chill with it.
CS: +504 - TD: +450 + CvA: +19 + d100: +78 == +151
Warding failed!
The mist leaves an Ithzir seer's lower half encased in a thick block of ice.
Just as you 512, the Ithzir janissary shimmers and fades away, leaving you gesturing at nothingness!
The mist leaves a thin layer of ice on an Ithzir janissary's lower half, but he easily shakes it off.
Just as you 512, the Ithzir janissary shimmers and fades away, leaving you gesturing at nothingness!
The mist leaves a thin layer of ice on an Ithzir janissary's lower half, but she easily shakes it off.
The scintillating silver light surrounding the runestaff fades some.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

And also, I'm only getting one cast of 903 to You hurl a stream of water at an Ithzir initiate, but it freezes just before impact. Carefully, you summon the chunk of ice back to your hand...

Are we not supposed to be able to summon it back multiple times based on trainings? I have 50 Water Lore...
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/17/2016 07:39 AM CDT
>I have 50 Water Lore...

So if I understand the Summation Chart correctly, I should get 4 shots at 46 trainings...
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/17/2016 05:56 PM CDT
It may not be reasonable to hold Simutronics to the same expectations as companies that actually pay their developers. Simutronics obviously has fewer resources available. However, it is for that reason that I hold them to an even higher standard as far as planning. If Blizzard botches a major content patch and a class ends up not where it should be, they can fix it within days or weeks. When Simutronics does the same, the turnaround time can be (and usually is!) years. Given that, it's reasonable to expect them to have a plan and disappointing when they don't appear to have one.

Of course, players aren't privy to the same information as GMs and the NDA ties their hands at times with regard to what information they can release. But the information we received does not paint a pretty picture for the premise that this is part of a grand plan to make wizards better than ever. When the nerfs were first announced and the criticism began, we were told that the ELR is not a class review. It was never intended to compensate for the nerfs, which appear to have been added on at some point during the process. Much of the ELR was actually an unfinished project started by GM Naos years ago and implemented more or less as he intended. Finally, we have the vague indication by the APM that if we're ever going to have nice things it will have to be without rapid fire/haste/immolate in their previous form - tacit admission of the significance of the nerfs.

So, my negative tone aside, I guess I'm wondering what you're seeing as far as "the plan" goes, RROY? Do you see one? At all? Maybe my expectations simply don't match reality. I really wanted to believe that when Wyrom mentioned the nerfs removing a barrier to a better design, he was in fact referring to a plan of action that included replacing what was taken from wizards with something better.

I gather from your lack of enthusiasm, RROY, that the ELR didn't exactly light up your world either. I also gather that you're willing to put up with that, for the love of the game. I sometimes wish I could! But at some point - once the glow of avoiding a mass wizard exodus wears off - it might be time for you to get on board and start asking where this is all headed. You'd be doing me a favor because I'd really like to know whether or not I should be wasting my time returning to these forums every few months!

~Taverkin
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/17/2016 07:05 PM CDT
It might also help to explain my perspective on what I'm looking for as far as a plan (and what I'm not looking for!).

Obviously, I'm not expecting the GMs to show up and share every detail about the future. Not only would their NDA prevent them from doing so, but it would be unwise to appear to promise one thing and months or years later deliver another. I understand that. What I'm looking for is a general course of action. Where do we stand, where are we going, and how are we going to get there in general terms?

My expectation is that lores will ultimately define distinctive builds, or sub-classes. My basic definition for a build is a distinctive and viable playstyle with a training path to achieve it. Immolate was the barest skeleton of that definition. You train heavy fire lore and overtrain MjE spells post-cap. Done. There was little else to define the build. On the other hand, training 24 ranks in air lore to achieve those benefits, while certainly a popular choice, does not constitute a build. It's viable. It was a training path to some extent. But there's nothing distinctive about picking up a handful of minor abilities that don't significantly alter your playstyle.

Other games do this a lot better than we do. Every class has multiple builds, defined by the choices they make with regard to gearing and skills. You might say that this parallels GS, with wizards choosing a "pure" or "war" mage variant. While it's true that the war mage is a build, it shares much of the one-dimensionality of rapid shock and immolate. The build is still defined by a single spell, with very little in the way of dedicated support.

That's what I had hoped to see the ELR address in the long term. Unfortunately, nothing in the ELR produced a distinctive playstyle.

That's a tough nut to crack, though. Planning is key. Implementing spells as they're finished doesn't work out well. How could immolate not be underwhelming if released far in advance of its support structure? The answer is that immolate could only be appealing under those conditions if it were overpowered. That's why immolate worked in the first place. It was so powerful that it justified heavy lore training all on its own. Give it support and it just becomes more powerful (or your support spells never get used!). Conversely, releasing a weak version of the spell now so that it will be appropriately powerful as part of a complete fire build later simply disappoints players in the here and now.

So, that's my problem with the whole ELR. No plan. It feels muddled, and whatever they're going to do to create the builds Wyrom indicated were the eventual goal of these nerfs seems far off in the future. So far, in fact, that I've heard nothing to indicate that such a plan actually exists beyond Wyrom's vague observation that one-trick pony spells are problematic when designing builds and should be removed on that basis. Why that had to happen immediately when they were so clearly not ready to proceed is beyond me. Call it poor planning?

~Taverkin
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/17/2016 11:00 PM CDT
Aversion,

I Spent over an hour composing a post only to hit the wrong spot on my tablet causing it to be lost. The next few days I'm working crazy amounts of hours, but will post when I'm off work and on my computer. It's just too hard with my vision problems to do on the tablet.

Just an elf about town...
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 01:18 PM CDT
VANKRASN39
Is the Water Walking effect still applicable?

It is not.

PCOFFEY77
Still seeing a few things..
And also, I'm only getting one cast of 903 to You hurl a stream of water at an Ithzir initiate, but it freezes just before impact. Carefully, you summon the chunk of ice back to your hand...

Both of these issues should be fixed. Thanks for reporting it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 01:21 PM CDT
I've made two updates to Cold Snap (512):

1.) It will now work on non-corporeal targets; however, they are able to better guard against the spell (+TD bonus of creature's level / 10). Creatures made out of fire or that emanate heat will continue to be immune (fire elementals, etc).
2.) The spell now has a minimum duration of 8 seconds.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 01:32 PM CDT

Creatures made out of fire or that emanate heat will continue to be immune (fire elementals, etc).
GameMaster Estild

That seems backwards. Creatures made of out of ice should be immune, but if they're made out of the fire, the ice should interact in some way to put out the fire. Even if it just melts into water which extinguishes the fire.

I've never heard of fire being immune to water/ice.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 01:42 PM CDT
PC1234
That seems backwards. Creatures made of out of ice should be immune, but if they're made out of the fire, the ice should interact in some way to put out the fire. Even if it just melts into water which extinguishes the fire.

Cold Snap itself is a physical barrier. Ice is forming around the target to restrict their actions. As such, just being immune to cold does not mean the target is immune to physical obstacles, cold or not. Creatures made out of fire or that emanate heat (not the same as fire immunity, although such targets are likely to be fire immune as well) cause the freezing mist to warm up and harmlessly dissipate.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 01:43 PM CDT
>That seems backwards. Creatures made of out of ice should be immune, but if they're made out of the fire, the ice should interact in some way to put out the fire. Even if it just melts into water which extinguishes the fire.

I agree, in every other case, fire creatures are particularly susceptible to cold/water attacks and vice versa (ice creatures vs. fire attacks).
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 01:44 PM CDT
I tentatively like this change. Being able to manage crowd control inclusive of non-corps is useful. About the only negative things are - of course non-corps don't suffer from the impact crit scenarios (dern), and then - there's the continuing crawler breakout.

Doug

[The Rift]
You notice a lost soul and a slender silvery thread.
Obvious exits: east, southwest, northwest
>
A vaespilon drags herself in!
>
With a slow, inching lumber, an enormous rift crawler worms its way in.
>incant 512
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Cold Snap...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a lost soul.
An airy mist rolls into the room, carrying a harsh chill with it.
CS: + --- - TD: +451 + CvA: +25 + d100: + --- == + ---
Warding failed!
The mist leaves an enormous rift crawler's lower half encased in a thick block of ice.
CS: + --- - TD: +439 + CvA: +15 + d100: + --- == + ---
Warding failed!
The mist leaves a vaespilon's lower half encased in a thick block of ice.
CS: + --- - TD: +421 + CvA: +15 + d100: + --- == + ---
Warding failed!
The mist leaves a lost soul's lower half encased in a thick block of ice.
>
incant 512

Mmm-Mmmph.

>
A lost soul swings a scorched black ball and chain at you!
AS: +374 vs DS: + --- with AvD: +17 + d100 roll: + --- = - ---
A clean miss.
>
A vaespilon swings a blackened wooden staff at you!
AS: +370 vs DS: + --- with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: + --- = - ---
A clean miss.
>
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a lost soul.
CS: + --- - TD: +451 + CvA: +25 + d100: + --- == + ---
Warding failed!
The mist builds upon the existing thick block of ice, expanding it to cover an enormous rift crawler's entire body, trapping it in an icy tomb.
CS: + --- - TD: +439 + CvA: +15 + d100: + --- == + ---
Warding failed!
The mist builds upon the existing thick block of ice, expanding it to cover a vaespilon's entire body, trapping her in an icy tomb.
CS: + --- - TD: +421 + CvA: +15 + d100: + --- == + ---
Warding failed!
The mist builds upon the existing thick block of ice, expanding it to cover a lost soul's entire body, trapping her in an icy tomb.
>l
[The Rift]
You notice an enormous rift crawler (frozen), a vaespilon (frozen), a lost soul (frozen) and a slender silvery thread.
Obvious exits: east, southwest, northwest
>
An enormous rift crawler begins moving again.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 02:00 PM CDT
>1.) It will now work on non-corporeal targets; however, they are able to better guard against the spell (+TD bonus of creature's level / 10).

This is a very helpful and appreciated fix. Thank you!

>If a target is drenched from the Minor Water (903 or 518) lore effect or if you cast the spell in a watery room, the affected target(s) get -25 TD.

This part doesn't seem to be happening.

>inc 512
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an ethereal triton sentry.
The dull golden nimbus surrounding an ethereal triton sentry suddenly begins to glow brightly.
CS: +554 - TD: +473 + CvA: +25 + d100: +46 == +152
Warding failed!
The mist builds upon the existing thick block of ice, expanding it to cover an ethereal triton sentry's entire body, trapping her in an icy tomb.
CS: +554 - TD: +505 + CvA: +25 + d100: +95 == +169
Warding failed!
As the mist touches the surface of the thick block of ice encasing a greater water elemental, it solidifies, reinforcing the icy tomb.

>inc 519
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Immolation...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a greater water elemental.
CS: +554 - TD: +520 + CvA: +25 + d100: +61 == +120
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a greater water elemental and it bursts into flame causing 50 points of damage!
... 70 points of damage!
The water elemental gurgles in agony as steam billows about!
As the fire strikes the ice block surrounding a greater water elemental, a rush of steam is released!
... 25 points of damage!
The ice block encasing a greater water elemental partially melts away, leaving only its lower half froze.
... 40 points of damage!
As the fire strikes the ice block surrounding a greater water elemental, a rush of steam is released!
... 65 points of damage!
The ice block encasing a greater water elemental partially melts away, leaving only its lower half froze.
... 50 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
The flame surrounding a greater water elemental quickly die down.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 02:10 PM CDT
Also, not sure if this is intentional, but the Major Elemental TDs for 519 and 512 for the same creature aren't the same:

>inc 519
You intone a phrase of elemental power while raising your hands, invoking Immolation...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a triton combatant.
CS: +554 - TD: +390 + CvA: +25 + d100: +22 == +211
Warding failed!
Wisps of black smoke swirl around a triton combatant and he bursts into flame causing 84 points of damage!
... 50 points of damage!
A large patch of flesh is seared off a triton combatant's back.
... 30 points of damage!
Extreme heat causes a triton combatant's right arm to expand and snap. That must hurt!
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to abdomen, a triton combatant shrieks in pain!
... 1 point of damage!
Minor burns to left hand. Ouch.
The flames around a triton combatant continue to burn!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

R>inc 512
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton combatant.
CS: +554 - TD: +365 + CvA: +25 + d100: +18 == +232
Warding failed!
The mist leaves a triton combatant's lower half encased in a thick block of ice.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 02:17 PM CDT
>Okay, it says the mist dissipates into a steam. Isn't steam just hot water vapor? Water doesn't have any effect on fire now?

Fire creatures (elementals at least) have sadly always been fire/steam/acid immune for whatever reason.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 02:57 PM CDT
DESTINY14
This part doesn't seem to be happening.
512: CS: +554 - TD: +505 + CvA: +25 + d100: +95 == +169
519: CS: +554 - TD: +520 + CvA: +25 + d100: +61 == +120

It's working correctly. The water elemental was drenched, so gets -25 TD. However, it's non-corporeal, so also gets +10 (level (105) / 10) TD. So the net result is -15 TD from your 512.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 03:10 PM CDT
>It's working correctly. The water elemental was drenched, so gets -25 TD. However, it's non-corporeal, so also gets +10 (level (105) / 10) TD. So the net result is -15 TD from your 512.

Okay, I understand now, and it looks like the same applies for the combatant.

This satisfies half of my wizard post-cap requests, so thank you again for making the needed adjustments.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 03:12 PM CDT
>The ice block encasing a greater water elemental partially melts away, leaving only its lower half froze.

This last word seems to be a grammatical typo though instead of frozen.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 03:29 PM CDT
DESTINY14
This last word seems to be a grammatical typo though instead of frozen.

Fixed.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 03:39 PM CDT
I still think the duration formula (warding margin / 5) + 3 needs to be lightened up some, but the non-corporeal thing is a nice buff.

How about for fire instead of being immune to it, its duration is cut in half? Fire doesn't usually melt ice instantly, especially a big block of it.

~ Methais

Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 03:49 PM CDT
>I still think the duration formula (warding margin / 5) + 3 needs to be lightened up some, but the non-corporeal thing is a nice buff.

It's hard to complain about this part when we now have the same minimum as 316. However, 316 (and 135) can benefit from 340, while elemental spells only receive the Truehand benefit.

Can a NIR confirm that the 8 second duration starts after the second cast when the creature is immobilized?

Finally, can there be an alternative to pay the 24 mana upfront in a single CHANNELed 512 cast, which also gives 3 seconds of hard RT but negates the need to sit through 3 seconds of potential vulnerability after the targets are rooted but not immobilized?
Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 05:17 PM CDT
>It's hard to complain about this part when we now have the same minimum as 316. However, 316 (and 135) can benefit from 340, while elemental spells only receive the Truehand benefit.

It's not really a huge deal, since the only effect it would have on me would be on the fire side in the Confluence, which I usually stick to the cold side because fire4lyfe. I don't know the mechanics of 316 other than it freezes things in place, but if the durations work the same then that's good enough. I'm just really hoping that MjE gets something else to get me out of this 415 build so I can optimize my CS again. I like 415 itself I just really hate splitting my CS. It just makes hunting much less annoying than using Immolate, even with the reduced CS.

~ Methais

Re: Cold Snap (512) Released! 04/18/2016 08:20 PM CDT
Thanks! I appreciate the quick fix.
Cold Snap (512) Bug? 06/30/2017 10:40 PM CDT
I went back a ways to pull some information about 512 and I don't see this question being asked or answered.

These are the comments I could find about 512:

Cold Snap itself is a physical barrier. Ice is forming around the target to restrict their actions.
GameMaster Estild

Targets that fail to ward become rooted.
Casting the spell a second time will completely encase any already affected target that fails to ward in an ice block, immobilizing them and refreshing the duration.
GameMaster Estild

I'd like to understand the difference between a "rooted" target and an "immobilized" target.

From my understanding, a rooted target cannot leave the room, cannot perform combat maneuvers, but are able to attack.
An immobilized target cannot leave the room, cannot perform combat maneuvers and cannot attack.

If the "rooted" status is intended to previous movement out of the room by the target, is the following a bug?

CS: +Xxx - TD: +450 + CvA: +19 + d100: +91 == +Xxx
The mist leaves an Ithzir seer's lower half encased in a thick block of ice.
[Old Ta'Faendryl, Northeast]
You notice an Ithzir seer (rooted), an iced apple muffin, a twisted crystal-tipped staff, a grizzled Ithzir adept and an Ithzir adept (rooted).
Obvious paths: east, south, west
>
You gesture at an Ithzir seer.
Just as you cast, the Ithzir seer shimmers and fades away, leaving you gesturing at nothingness!

As you can see, the Ithzir seer was rooted, so I feel like their fade ability should be prevented from working as they are encased in ice.
Re: Cold Snap (512) Bug? 07/01/2017 02:32 PM CDT
>Cold Snap itself is a physical barrier. Ice is forming around the target to restrict their actions.

Now I'm curious why this doesn't affect magic immune stuff if it's a physical barrier forming around the target. Not that I'm really worried about it, but still.

~ Methais
Re: Cold Snap (512) Bug? 07/02/2017 02:34 PM CDT
VEYTHORNE
As you can see, the Ithzir seer was rooted, so I feel like their fade ability should be prevented from working as they are encased in ice.

It prevents them from using their legs, which is not a requirement for them to fade. It's working as intended.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Cold Snap (512) Bug? 07/02/2017 03:15 PM CDT
Double cube 'em!

Doug
1 2 3 5 Next Next_page