Prev_page Previous 1
New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/03/2018 09:49 PM CDT
A new type of scroll will be making it's way into the game starting tonight. These new scrolls will work a bit differently than traditional scrolls. When a spell is invoked from them, they will grant the user temporary knowledge of the spell. This self knowledge window lasts a base of 5 minutes for buffs, and 10 minutes for offensive spells. Any spells cast off these spells can be cast infinitely in those windows, but buffs will fade when the window closes - meaning they will only last a base of 5 minutes. This base window can be increased to around a max of 60 minutes for buffs, and 2 hours for offensive spells through scroll infusion. These spells will be treated as native cast for spell burst and rift dispel. These scrolls should start appearing in the treasure system over the next few days.

The intent of this enhancement is to add some diversity in the scroll system. It's our intent that players will be able to use these to mix in some options into their hunting regimes - example having ewave an entire hunt, in addition we anticipate being able to allow more powerful options on these versions of scrolls than are traditionally allowed on their more permanent cousins.

Scrolls can be identified over traditional scrolls by use of the READ verb- and seeing vibrant ink

It takes you a moment to focus on the glittering palimpsest.
On the glittering palimpsest you see
(214) Bind in vibrant ink
(115) Fasthr's Reward in vibrant ink
(212) Interference in vibrant ink
(105) Poison Resistance in vibrant ink
(114) UnPoison in vibrant ink
(1712) Spirit Guard in vibrant ink

Knowledge of spells will be shown in spell active
spell active
You currently have the following active spells:
Knowledge - Bind ................... 0:09:58
Knowledge - Spirit Guard ........... 0:04:17

-Buffs from these scrolls are self cast only
-They will work with scroll infusion, but scroll infusion will only boost the Self Knowledge window duration, spells will still only get one Invoke
-These SK scrolls won't replace traditional scrolls, they'll supplement the original type.
-You won't be able to use them to make imbeds
-You won't get dispelled by rift mechanics / pop due to spell burst while the buffs last
-These spells will benefit from the generic CS/spell rank system released last year

Viduus
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/03/2018 10:11 PM CDT
Very cool system.

I'd love to see this expanded to Shield, Armor, and CMANs if the mechanics will allow it.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/03/2018 11:20 PM CDT

How long is the duration for utility spells, like celery?
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/03/2018 11:55 PM CDT

Neat idea and solution that benefits everyone.

>This base window can be increased to around a max of 60 minutes for buffs, and 2 hours for offensive spells through scroll infusion.

>They will work with scroll infusion, but scroll infusion will only boost the Self Knowledge window duration, spells will still only get one Invoke

I get that they only get one invoke, but does unlocking also allow that one invoke to be recharged? I always consider the unlocking and charging of scroll infusion to be independent of each other, so that's why I ask.

Do they work with scroll portfolios in terms of storing charges?

https://gswiki.play.net/Scroll_portfolio
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 05:55 AM CDT
Really cool, however is there any way to bring benefits to Arcane Symbols training? Its nice to make scroll infusion even stronger for Sorcs but i feel like it really devalues everyone who's been training in AS.

I would've suggested this approach instead:

1) AS be responsible for increasing the length of the window (i.e. up to the 1hr/2hr)
2) Scroll infusion for increasing the scroll charges up to a max of 3

This is much more in-line with currently how AS/infusion works...

This new system just seems to make things a lot more convoluted...
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 06:38 AM CDT
I went into the Rift on a foraging task this morning and didn't have outside spells stripped off on the way in. Seems like it is likely related to this change, so FYI.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 07:28 AM CDT
Are these intended?

not pawnable

You ask the pawnbroker to appraise a wrinkled scroll.
The pawnbroker smiles faintly and says, "I'm sorry, Ardkor, but I have no use for that."

On the wrinkled scroll you see
(1001) Holding Song in vibrant ink
(1008) Stunning Shout in vibrant ink
(402) Presence in vibrant ink

It shows up as special rather than a scroll on inventory

Special [2]: a wrinkled scroll, a Chronomage day pass
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 08:40 AM CDT
My fundamental issue with scrolls has always been, and remains, the fact that they are clunky.
- You must have it in-hand. (i.e. "lose defense")
- You must have the OTHER hand empty--i.e. "lose more defense"--unless you are so skilled you can invoke it anyhow.

Compare to magic item use. They both have the requirement of "get it" and "put it away", so compare "wave or raise it (while still cowering behind my shield or weapon)" with the above... while remembering that MIU is (I believe) not subject to penalties against the check, like scrolls are in my second point above.
Worse yet, compare versus (a worn item) "rub or tap it (while still cowering behind my shield AND weapon)" with the above.

If shields could have scrolls taped to their insides, and we could invoke off of those things already in-hand, there would be an improvement.

If long stick-like weapons (pole arms with a haft, quarterstaves, runestaves) could have scrolls taped onto them, like the notice-bearers you see carrying news around towns in movies, there would be an improvement.

And as I've said before: if Bards could Unravel/1013 scrolls' inherent mana (this many invokes of each of this many spells at this many mana apiece == Robert Salivating...), there would be a huge improvement.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 09:47 AM CDT
Unless I misunderstood, these new scrolls address your fundamental issue of them being clunky Krakii. You could invoke a 907 (Major Cold) scroll in town and then you would have access to the spell for the next 10 min (or more with scroll infusion) without having to hold it or invoke it while you hunt.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 10:24 AM CDT
Pretty nifty change. Hopefully some day Charge Item will be put on par with scrolls.

~ Methais
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 11:18 AM CDT

>How long is the duration for utility spells, like celery?

Long enough to kill bananas or feed-it-mores?

>flees

:D
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 11:22 AM CDT
>Pretty nifty change.

+1

>Hopefully some day Charge Item will be put on par with scrolls.

+3.14 in the sky.

Askip

Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 12:07 PM CDT
And I'll be good with that, when I see it. :)
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 12:41 PM CDT
I guess my questions are:
- how common/rare is this going to be? Mostly 'by specific spell', 'by list', 'by level of spell', 'by hunting area', 'by level range'...?
- how common/rare will a scroll like your posted sample (what was it, 6 spells, all SK) be?
- is there now, or can there be in the future, any way to make a scroll as usedtowas, into a scroll likenow? (i.e. Here's my Mystic Focus scroll, is there any way to turn it into one of these? Infusion? Alchemy? Merchant? Other?)

* Is scroll management ever going to get to be less of a hassle?
Specifically, the fact that we have to carry and refer to things by spell (mnemonic or number) or noun (of what it's written on), AND be lumbered with <all this mess of scroll about which we care nothing> (like the 5 Minor Spirit spells on the Heroism scroll).
I've mentioned before about a razor (or whatever) where you cut out Just That One Spell that you care about from the scroll (great, you now have 2 scrolls, one with just one spell; well, you have 2 scrolls until you sell off the dross...) and then... okay, sure, now you have nine hundred slips, all of which have exactly the same spell.
Scrapbook? Paper bundler? Papeterie?
One for each spell, or one book and each inside page is just one spell, or...

I admit that my Bard is currently using scrolls--I think his knapsack entirely offsets the 100# encumbrance charm from the SimuStore...--to boost defense, but it is a giant pain in the ass.
If he could take <all of the AirWall/102 pieces>, then great, he's got 800 charges of AirWall! Glue them to page #4 of the book. Let me know when they run out.
Meanwhile, here's <all of the Spirit Def2/107 pieces>, and great. He glues those to page #5 of the book.
And, signally, SELLS OFF (or drops in the well, or whatever) sixty pieces of crap scroll (and the attendant screen-scroll, from me looking in the knapsack) about which I now care nothing, having removed the spells I wanted.
Oh, look! One noun, a scrapbook. Oh, look! 'flip scrap page 4', invoke 102, cast.

There should be a LOT more of these books than the, what, ten (?? been a month or two since I got on this high horse after reading the GSWikie page) that were at some Auction event thingie four years ago....
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 02:24 PM CDT
Robert, yer confusing the hell out of me, and that's not normal.

First, new type of scroll, old ones still drop. Looks like you are asking questions as though they are intended to replace.

Second, don't be afraid to try the new scroll casting formula. It is pretty sweet for pures.

And third, if the feedback it's old scroll and semi (bard, perhaps), I suspect that conversation has a home.

Let this win stand for 30 days or so?

Or at least speculate about a self cast game style this change enables. ;)

Doug
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 02:27 PM CDT
More follow-up:
- are dual-purpose spells (AirWall/102, Heal/Harm/1101) considered defensive/5-minute, or offensive/10-minute, ones?
- are any of the really juicy spells ever going to be allowed? (Tonis, Core Tap, Cone, Implode, <much of the Arcane list>, Mobility, and so on.)
- you say these are Self-Knowledge, so presumably the subsequent prep/cast uses mana?
- Does the initial 'invoke'/cast just confer the Knowledge, or does it also cast the spell & count as a scroll-type usage (merely using one charge off the scroll)? If the former, does it come with castRT? If RT, why?
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 04:47 PM CDT

>are any of the really juicy spells ever going to be allowed? (Tonis, Core Tap, Cone, Implode, <much of the Arcane list>, Mobility, and so on.)

I recently purchased a Mobility/618 scroll at the paunshot, I do not think it is one of the interdicted spells, just rare and/or a fast seller.

Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 04:49 PM CDT

>does it also cast the spell & count as a scroll-type usage (merely using one charge off the scroll)?

The way I am reading the release, each spell on the SK scroll has only one cast of each?

Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 05:36 PM CDT
>>The way I am reading the release, each spell on the SK scroll has only one cast of each?

Ayep.

I don't want to steal any sorcerer (-ess) thunder here, but this isn't 'charging' a scroll, it's 'amplifying' how effective it can be.

Pretty clever design, in my view. I wonder at the longer term implications, though.

Doug
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 06:04 PM CDT
But do you do the 'amplification' in the same manner (cost, runestone, mana, whatever other mechanics) as doing a 'charge' for that spell on that scroll?
(Perish the thought that it could just be as simple as tracking down a Sorcerer to cast a 14-mana spell at the scroll. Presto! Now with longer duration!)
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 09:11 PM CDT
<(Perish the thought that it could just be as simple as tracking down a Sorcerer to cast a 14-mana spell at the scroll. Presto! Now with longer duration!)>

As an aside, don't bother asking my sorcerer to mess with scroll infusion for SK scrolls unless it's exactly this easy.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/04/2018 09:59 PM CDT
>>But do you do the 'amplification' in the same manner

That would be stealing the pulpit (for me). But rest assured, if we don't hear something in a week or two, I'll weigh in with my experiences. These scrolls are dropping fairly frequently - and aren't pawn-able, yet.

Doug
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/06/2018 05:12 AM CDT
Could these new scrolls PLEASE be made sellable at the pawn soon.... with one mana my warrior can't use them and they're piling up in her cloak...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/06/2018 08:52 AM CDT
Its a plot to make warriors train in harness.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/06/2018 01:11 PM CDT

wow - Great improvement! nice work!
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/07/2018 02:18 AM CDT
Scroll infusion issue:

The scroll is fully infused, but the detection rune indicates it can still be infused further.

>infu my scro
You focus on a gold-flecked oblong stone etched with an elaborate letter 'A', channeling your mana through it. Soon, an infusion of mana leaps from your oblong stone to the burnt scroll. The mana dissipates.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

>put right in my case
You put a gold-flecked oblong stone etched with an elaborate letter 'A' in your leather scroll case.
>get other sto in case
You remove a gold-flecked oblong stone etched with an elaborate letter 'A' from in your leather scroll case.

>wave my sto at my scro
You wave your stone at a burnt scroll.
As the stone passes over the scroll, you sense:
(1701) Arcane Decoy with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(214) Bind with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(303) Prayer of Protection with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(202) Spirit Shield with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(216) Frenzy with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(117) Spirit Strike with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/07/2018 09:56 AM CDT

SK scrolls are appearing in the treasure system without vibrant ink. They look just like normal scrolls. If the pawnshop won't buy it, then you know.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/07/2018 11:19 AM CDT
I found three or four bugs. Below is a summary followed by some log excerpts.

Summary

(1) As previously posted by VANKRASN39, when spells are fully infused, the odeir'cos reading shows the potential to add 5 minutes.

(2) As I previously posted, self-knowledge (SK) scrolls are appearing in the treasure system without vibrant ink.

(3) The duration from invoking the spells appear to be half the time detected with odeir'cos.

(4) I got knowledge of Water Walking, even though that spell was not on the scroll, and I have never invoke a self-knowledge scroll with Water Walking.

Details

Here is the oder'cos reading after infusing:
As the stone passes over the scroll, you sense:
(105) Poison Resistance with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(1106) Bone Shatter with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(101) Spirit Warding I with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.
(210) Silence with about 2 hours of time remaining and the potential to add about 5 minutes of time.

Here is an excerpt from Spell Active immediately after invoking 101:
Knowledge - Spirit Warding I ....... 0:31:55

Here is an excerpt from Spell Active immediately after invoking 1106, which I invoked after knowledge of 101 had expired:
Knowledge - Bone Shatter ........... 1:03:57

Finally, here is an excerpt from Spell Active immediately after invoking 105:
Knowledge - Poison Resistance ...... 0:31:58
Knowledge - Water Walking .......... 0:02:25
Knowledge - Bone Shatter ........... 0:59:44

I have no idea how Water Walking got on the list.

All of the above was from a scroll without vibrant ink.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/07/2018 04:48 PM CDT

I invoked a 103 scroll that I found, no link but turned out to be SK.

After invoke/cast, spell active showed 103 for 4 minutes. Normally I get more than 1 hour.

Hm.

Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 12:27 AM CDT
Considering all the bugs turning up between old scrolls and the new vibrant scrolls - may I make a suggestion to decouple it and put it in as a new type of scroll instead? Instead of calling it a scroll, maybe make it a new tome noun instead. This new type of scroll is messing up a lot of scripts, rummages, and in general causing a lot of confusion.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 10:13 AM CDT

as reported in the IMT hunting folder by Khariz: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Hunting%20and%20Combat/Icemule%20Hunting%20Areas/view/90

>All spell stripping and spell burst is broken right now (seems to have occurred when the new scrolls went live). Whoops!
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 11:58 AM CDT
Having now run across a couple, my feedback is:
- (agree with others) having the 'vibrant ink' actually appear would be a big plus;
- (agree with others) having the <item noun> be pawnable would be a plus;
- barring some bizarre circumstance where a hostile effect reduces the effective duration of a spell effect on the character with_out_ completely dispelling it, I see precisely ZERO gain in having the self-knowledge effect listed at <whatever faux duration results from the skill ranks used>, when it's just going to fall off in five minutes... just show me five minutes;
- (again, that may be mitigated by cases like "it's self-cast so I do get to keep it" for going into places like the Rift, but since I don't hunt there, I can't speak to it);
- I cannot think of any defensive or buff or boost spell that I would want up for the (only) five minutes conferred by SK scrolls, rather than having just a "normal" scroll effect which I could then invoke and get the 'normal' duration out of (since most of them have, by now, been set to "some useful duration" like 15-20 minutes, for their base effect);
- the standout exception being spells which are already of short duration--like WizShield, Spell Shield, Tonis, Core Tap, Wall of Force, or whatever--and not likely to be seen on SK scrolls, anyhow;
- and I don't know how much of a hassle Infusion is for Sorcerers, but changing "fiddle with a short-time system" to instead be a flat, "You found it! (And it'll last for an hour...)" straight up, takes a lot of "fiddling" out of things.

Short version:
Was mildly enthused about possibilities with the announcement.
Less than enthusiastic about actual usage. (This could change dramatically with--any of--more powerful spells, longer durations, and fewer fiddly bits.)
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 12:20 PM CDT
Interestingly enough (counter perspective, here) - there is really only one question that I think I need answered before I suggest this was pretty much an incredible design leap forward. Yes - I know a few things are not functioning the way they should be (spell burst / strip) but that is a fail-forward event that isn't really taking away from customers (us) while the fiddly bits are being. . . tweaked. :P

I think I saw this somewhere, and I'm finding these darn scrolls with every character but the one that really can test it well - the Elf. And the question that I think I saw answered was, is the duration also based on skills. That one answer will tell me so so much about what the intention and likely success of this critical shift are. . .

And even then, I'll argue this point all day long ( as long as its working properly ) - the Self-KNOWLEDGE capabilities of these scrolls and the ability to take into consideration skills / lores that the standard scroll system did not is game-changing. Especially for those of us in the upper reaches of the game.

Doesn't last long? Even at 5 minutes of duration, this spot-capability that doesn't exist anywhere but in a few items of the game is simply incredible.

Oh, and now you know why the 'survey about how long you stay out hunting' (to which the very very vast majority said '5 to 10 minutes') was conducted. Can't reject something that was designed to cover 50% to 100% of an entire 'average' hunt with these benefits, now can we. (Note the lack of the '?' to the rhetorical observation.)

Doug
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 12:46 PM CDT
<< - I cannot think of any defensive or buff or boost spell that I would want up for the (only) five minutes conferred by SK scrolls, rather than having just a "normal" scroll effect which I could then invoke and get the 'normal' duration out of (since most of them have, by now, been set to "some useful duration" like 15-20 minutes, for their base effect); >>

1701, 1205, 506, 115, 1215...
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 12:57 PM CDT

>that I would want up for the (only) five minutes conferred by SK scrolls

if you're not getting them infused, you're doing it wrong.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/09/2018 01:40 PM CDT
I've yet to see one that I would want to bother with. (I've found precisely two, so far.)
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/13/2018 07:39 AM CDT
SK scrolls without vibrant ink are still appearing in the treasure system. They still have the other bugs that I wrote about above in post 1556, except that I have not seen the Water Walking bug again. Most importantly, the durations when invoked are half of what they should be.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/17/2018 07:31 PM CDT
SK scrolls are still being generated with the bugs I described in post 1556. The release of SK scrolls was two weeks ago, but there have been no responses or acknowledgments by any GMs. Is there a different place where I should post this problem?

To repeat, (1) they are appearing without vibrant ink, (2) the durations are half what they should be, and (3) when fully infused, odeir'cos still shows potential to add 5 minutes. Post 1556 has more details and log excerpts.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/17/2018 07:49 PM CDT

Another Bug I found with the self knowledge scrolls tonight:

>prep 1604
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Consecrate...
Your spell is ready.
>cast xxxx
You gesture at xxxx.
Your knowledge of the spell lapses as you attempt to bind it to xxxx.
Nothing happens.

You gesture at a perfect black mithril maul.
Your knowledge of the spell lapses as you attempt to bind it to .
Nothing happens.
Re: New Scroll System - Self Knowledge 04/18/2018 12:45 AM CDT
>The release of SK scrolls was two weeks ago, but there have been no responses or acknowledgments by any GMs.

Unfortunately, the implementer of this has had a small family emergency right after the release, so while fixes are ongoing, they have been delayed. We are aware of the issues and are working to fix them, however.

Coase
Prev_page Previous 1