Prev_page Previous 1
CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 01:56 PM CST
Bolts may now be CHANNELed. Doing so imposes a 3 second hard RoundTime in exchange for a higher chance of hitting a vital area and subjects the attack to less crit randomization. The RT imposed by CHANNELing cannot be mitigated by any haste effect.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 03:09 PM CST
Do any other factors such as open hands impact the effectiveness of CHANNELed bolts?
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 03:13 PM CST
MICHN18
Do any other factors such as open hands impact the effectiveness of CHANNELed bolts?

No, the bonus for CHANNELing a bolt are pretty much all or nothing. Due to being an AS/DS resolution, it pretty much requires stance offensive anyway.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 06:27 PM CST
Hey Estild,

Could we please be given some hard info on the benefit of channeling bolts? Seeing the benefit in real numbers may help lessen the blow to some of the other changes being made. Any additional information would be appreciated.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 06:32 PM CST
OBSERVER
Could we please be given some hard info on the benefit of channeling bolts? Seeing the benefit in real numbers may help lessen the blow to some of the other changes being made. Any additional information would be appreciated.

When a bolt is CHANNELed, the chance to hit every location is the same at 7% and the crit randomization floor is decreased by 1-2 ranks (depending on the actual crit). For the sake of comparison, the previous chance to hit something like the eye was significantly lower than that.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 06:38 PM CST
I appreciate the clarification, Estild.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 07:25 PM CST
>When a bolt is CHANNELed, the chance to hit every location is the same at 7% and the crit randomization floor is decreased by 1-2 ranks (depending on the actual crit). For the sake of comparison, the previous chance to hit something like the eye was significantly lower than that.

While this is a nice thought, the fact is nothing ever dies with 1 bolt. So this does nothing to address the inherent issues of attrition-based bolting without rapid fire in high traffic, dangerous post-capped hunting grounds.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 07:30 PM CST
I'm not one of the known math experts, but a 2 rank crit randomization removal/reducation alone is a 22% increase in lethal power. When you factor in an average bolt range vs creature on the critical divisor that is going to net a 4-5 rank critical it's probably as high as 50%. You have to hit the area, but that 7% average per area ups your chances probably at a divisor of 14 (100/7) vs whatever it used to be (4%?).

I'll stand by my 22% guesswork, but don't minimize how strong this is channeled.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Critical_randomization
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 10:19 PM CST
7.7%? evenly distributed among the 13 body parts?

So, a rank 8 Critical Fire attack would have resulted in death 53.85% now
Previously it would be 54.8%

The realm strength is with the crit randomization floor reduction... which I'll need to test more unless they give me more information.

~Whirlin
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/15/2016 10:58 PM CST
Whirlin
7.7%? evenly distributed among the 13 body parts?
So, a rank 8 Critical Fire attack would have resulted in death 53.85% now
Previously it would be 54.8%

Except for the fact that you're hitting the eyes, head, and neck more often than before, which requires a smaller crit rank to achieve a kill vs. the chest, abdomen, and back for almost every crit type.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 01:09 AM CST
How does or can this work with minor steam? (evoked 903)
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 01:13 AM CST
BIGDOG2178
How does or can this work with minor steam? (evoked 903)

Thanks to GameMaster Konacon, you can set INCANT to automatically do it:

>incant set channel 903
INCANT will now use CHANNEL for the Minor Water spell.
>incant set evoke 903
INCANT will now use CHANNEL EVOKE for the Minor Water spell.
>incant 903
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Minor Water...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a giant rat.
You hurl a seething blast of steam at a giant rat!
AS: +312 vs DS: +25 with AvD: +70 + d100 roll: +1 = +358
... and hit for 226 points of damage!
Steaming ocular fluid cooks eyeball evenly. Hors d'oeuvres anyone?
The giant rat is stunned!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Or you can use the override option:

INCANT 903 CHANNEL EVOKE

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 01:24 AM CST
Does channeling work with 518?
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 10:22 AM CST

I can't get it to work with web bolt. I tried Incant Set, but when I incant, evoke or cast the spell, I do not get the hard RT, which I assume means it is a normal cast. Incant Set works fine with 705, which is the other spell I can cast either as either a bolt or a CS spell.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 11:07 AM CST
KARDIOS
I can't get it to work with web bolt. I tried Incant Set, but when I incant, evoke or cast the spell, I do not get the hard RT, which I assume means it is a normal cast. Incant Set works fine with 705, which is the other spell I can cast either as either a bolt or a CS spell.

Can you post your INCANT SET output, then some logs of when you try INCANT 118 and INCANT 118 CHANNEL EVOKE?

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 12:04 PM CST
<< Can you post your INCANT SET output, then some logs of when you try INCANT 118 and INCANT 118 CHANNEL EVOKE? >> --GameMaster Estild

Below are logs. First is using incant set. Note that I cast with "incant 118 evoke." Then below the [snip], I try Channel, Channel Evoke and finally just Evoke. I never tried typing "Incant 118 Channel Evoke." I was hoping Incant Set would work with my existing bolt script, so that I do not have to write a new script. I have trouble remembering the syntax for the evoke spells.

incant set channel 118
INCANT will now use CHANNEL for the Web spell.
>.8 siren
target siren
stance offensive
incant 118 evoke
You are now targeting a siren.
[Script]>You are now in an offensive stance.
[Script]>You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Web spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a siren.
You shoot strands of webbing at a siren!
AS: +456 vs DS: +437 with AvD: +52 + d100 roll: +49 = +120
... and hit for 20 points of damage!
Upward thrust lifts the siren several inches off the ground.
The siren is knocked to the ground!
The siren is stunned!
A siren is firmly webbed in place.
[Script]>stance defensive
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.

[snip]

>pr 118
>You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Web spell...
Your spell is ready.
>channel siren
You can only channel certain spells for extra power.
>channel evoke siren
You can only channel certain spells for extra power.
>evoke siren
You gesture at a siren.
You shoot strands of webbing at a siren!
AS: +456 vs DS: +426 with AvD: +52 + d100 roll: +95 = +177
... and hit for 61 points of damage!
The siren is knocked to the ground!
A siren is firmly webbed in place.
>stance def
>Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 12:21 PM CST
For purposes of comparison, below is a log with 705 channeled.

.5 siren
target siren
stance offensive
incant 705 evoke
You are now targeting a siren.
[Script]>You are now in an offensive stance.
[Script]>You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Disintegrate...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a siren.
You direct a dull grey beam at a siren!
AS: +456 vs DS: +384 with AvD: +40 + d100 roll: +18 = +130
... and hit for 30 points of damage!
Strike bores into left arm, causing now-weakened bones to crack.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
[Script]>stance def...wait 2 seconds.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/16/2016 11:25 PM CST
Hi there!

Web (118) is a bit of an interesting spell to be dealing with here. It can be EVOKED, EVOKE CHANNELED/CHANNEL EVOKED (These two are the same thing), but it cannot be CHANNELED. In this case, it will let you set INCANT to CHANNEL, but it will still just cast it until you also have INCANT set to EVOKE it.

So here's how it will work:

INCANT 118 will use your settings.
INCANT 118 CAST will cast the CS spell.
INCANT 118 CHANNEL will cast the CS spell.
INCANT 118 EVOKE will cast the bolt.
INCANT 118 CHANNEL EVOKE will channel the bolt.

Does that help? If not, please show me your settings and another log with it not working? I'm trying to get it to break on me too but haven't gotten it yet.

~ Konacon
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/17/2016 10:45 AM CST
I'm assuming the answer is no, but is there a way to channel bolts from wands? If not, can there be? Would be nice for the alchemy users.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/18/2016 04:41 PM CST

2 things:

1) I would really like to see the chance of a limb-strike reduced. Even if it doesn't totally eliminate it. Right now you're increasing the wizard's risk exponentially and still have a 46% chance of hitting limbs :/

2) Since I see Konacon in here, and I know INCANT SET is your baby, could you take a look at 504? It's not working right when set to OPEN, casting on the wizard instead of open casting at the room. It's doing the same thing if I just prep and cast. I don't think it's currently possible to cast this on more than one creature (a supposed benefit to air lore training).
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/18/2016 05:30 PM CST
> 2) Since I see Konacon in here, and I know INCANT SET is your baby, could you take a look at 504? It's not working right when set to OPEN, casting on the wizard instead of open casting at the room. It's doing the same thing if I just prep and cast. I don't think it's currently possible to cast this on more than one creature (a supposed benefit to air lore training).

I pushed out a fix to this earlier this morning... Do you still see it not working correctly? If so, post some logs for me if you have time and that should help track it down.

~ Konacon
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/18/2016 06:47 PM CST
for leaving yourself in the open in offensive, channel should function similar to a rogues ambush. You should get a 50 percent chance of getting a head shot (head, neck, or either eye) at least since a 'well-trained' ambusher can push 95 percent chances of eye-shots and this would be based off spell aiming...aiming. spell-aiming. spellaiming. ok I guess.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/19/2016 08:53 AM CST
Channel should definitely weight the bolts to hit the body/head/neck instead of hitting the limbs. While the percentages can be debated I think that is a reasonable risk/reward. Also, a small point but atleast for melee ambushing the success is not 95% all the time. There is the 5% fumble chance, then your stats and skills cap it at 95%. After that the body location/target size penalty is applied. Although we dont know the exact penalty, we do know that without the martial stance predator's eye hitting the head/neck/eyes is not the max of 95% accuracy. There is also the part where additional training/skills (CM,Ambush,predator's eye) are needed to increase the skill to that level.

Maybe the hands/limbs should be 5% each (total 30%) and everything else 10% (total 70%). You would have a 40% chance to hit the head/neck/eyes versus the 30-31% now plus do more damage on average.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/19/2016 11:57 AM CST
Let me chime in to point out that the AIM verb already works for some spells, namely Limb Disruption.

I see really no reason that this cannot be extended to all bolt spells.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/19/2016 12:59 PM CST
Let me chime in to point out that the AIM verb already works for some spells, namely Limb Disruption.
I see really no reason that this cannot be extended to all bolt spells.

Well, since wizards are primarily the bolting profession, it should probably be a unique ability afforded to them only. I'm not sure it's right for the primarily warding professions.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/19/2016 01:30 PM CST
I won't go into all the reasons why AIM'd bolts don't make sense from a rules perspective.

I will say, however, that the location determination of a hit needs to be different for bolt spells versus any other type of attack.

My preferred method would be to say the area affected by bolts is legs / abdomen, or arms / chest / back, or head /neck / eyes. Rather than having 11 discrete areas that might be affected, recognize that a magical bolt that can't be discretely aimed, is also indiscriminate in its area of affect (breadth of bolt, spraying effects, etc).

If we went from 11 to 3, as stated above, even if we weighted them as 40 / 40 / 20 in terms of chance to hit, the efficiency of bolt hunting would increase dramatically, for almost all spells of a bolt nature.

Doug
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/20/2016 11:31 AM CST
>>I won't go into all the reasons why AIM'd bolts don't make sense from a rules perspective.

>>I will say, however, that the location determination of a hit needs to be different for bolt spells versus any other type of attack.

I feel like the best way to address "aiming" a bolt would be aim a flare of the matching element to the location specified with a chance to activate the flare based on 1.) lore ranks of the element being used along with spell aim ranks, 2.) the location set in AIM, and 3.) level of the creature compared to the character (i.e. similar to how aiming from the open works based on a combination of skills and character level vs creature level).

1. Set AIM to head.
2. Channel bolt at target.
3. Calculate chance of flare / roll dice / flare activates and hits the head.

This formula could work with all bolt types that can be channeled and Wizards could gain a bonus to the activation chance from 513 (due to lore improvements of the spell) making them the best at landing hits at a specific location.

903/1709 - water lore
904/510 - earth lore
906/1707 - fire lore
910 - air/water lore combined
505 - air lore
705 - demonology lore
306 - religion lore
1110 - transformation lore
118 - summoning lore

I think 518 would not be able to perform the flare because an "AoE Ambush" would be way too strong, but maybe the initial hit of a Ball spell could be eligible on the primary target.

This might be the most balanced method of approaching "aimed bolts". The problem is that aiming from the open would make bolting more reliable, but bolt crit factors and DFs are really high and the RT is only 3 seconds compared to attacking from the open with a large weapon. The DFs of 910 compared to say a Maul are significantly higher, so allowing the actual bolt to hit the aimed location could be stronger than ambushing with a maul from the open, for half the RT. Which is why I think it would need to be a flare that lands at the aimed location instead of the actual bolt. This would make bolting more reliable - but not make bolts excessively over-powered that they can 1-shot kill most targets with ease.

Keep in mind, Rogues (which a lot of people like to compare with) are ambushing, from hiding, with specific training paths to achieve that goal. Wizards would be bolting from the open, which is more comparable to say a Warrior ambushing from the open than a Rogue ambushing from hiding.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/20/2016 11:45 AM CST
>>I feel like the best way to address "aiming" a bolt would be aim a flare of the matching element to the location specified with a chance to activate

An interesting proposal. I would like it even more if all NPCs followed the same wounds restrictions that PCs did. I think I kind of like this suggestion. I'll consider it more but it seems pretty solid.

Doug
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 10:35 AM CST
To provide some additional details to illustrate the strength of a channeled bolt:

When you CAST/EVOKE a bolt, it has a little over 16% chance to hit the eyes, head, or neck. A channeled bolt has over a 30% chance. Most of those locations will also result in a crit kill for ranks as low as 5 or 6. While it will take 7+ against the chest, abdomen, or back.

In addition, when you CAST/EVOKE a bolt, if it's determined to be a rank 9 critical wound, crit randomization can lower that all the way down to a rank 5. If you CHANNEL the same bolt (for the same rank 9 crit), crit randomization won't lower it less than a rank 7. The former is typically non-lethal against vital locations, while the latter is lethal.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 11:08 AM CST
I would just like to point out what you've stated so far.

In this post: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Wizards/Wizard%20Spells/view/1930

You claim that bolters are only in stance offense for a few milliseconds, so you have very little concern about our welfare.

Lastly, the fact that bolts require stance offense is of very little concern. Bolters are literally only in that stance for a few milliseconds. It's definitely possible that you are attacked or disabled then, but 99.9% of the time, it's not an issue.

And then you go on to point out how good channeling bolts is, which requires us to sit in stance offense for 3s RT.

To provide some additional details to illustrate the strength of a channeled bolt:
When you CAST/EVOKE a bolt, it has a little over 16% chance to hit the eyes, head, or neck. A channeled bolt has over a 30% chance. Most of those locations will also result in a crit kill for ranks as low as 5 or 6. While it will take 7+ against the chest, abdomen, or back.
In addition, when you CAST/EVOKE a bolt, if it's determined to be a rank 9 critical wound, crit randomization can lower that all the way down to a rank 5. If you CHANNEL the same bolt (for the same rank 9 crit), crit randomization won't lower it less than a rank 7. The former is typically non-lethal against vital locations, while the latter is lethal.
GameMaster Estild

How can you expect us to channel in offensive stance with a hard 3s RT and also claim that there's no concern for us because we're only in offensive stance for a few milliseconds?
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 11:12 AM CST
PC1234
How can you expect us to channel in offensive stance with a hard 3s RT and also claim that there's no concern for us because we're only in offensive stance for a few milliseconds?

Because the same argument applies to channeling warding spells. Both spell types only gain any real advantage from channeling by putting yourself at risk. I've tested channeling bolts in the Scatter, the most dangerous hunting ground in the game. Even outside of that and for 99% of the playerbase, for levels 1-100 and a good majority of the capped hunters that don't hunt in the Scatter, you can pretty easily channel and hunt with minimal risk.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 11:20 AM CST
>>for levels 1-100 and a good majority of the capped hunters that don't hunt in the Scatter, you can pretty easily channel and hunt with minimal risk.

Well, damn. There goes the neighborhood. . .

When's that new capped hunting ground open, and will it be more dangerous than the Scatter?

Doug
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 01:31 PM CST
Hey Estild;

I'm going to update my damage spreadsheet to take into account channelled bolts, and be able to convey some more cast versus channeled examples quickly for you. (I'll send it to you too... I'm sure you've seen it)

But could you tell me what raw crit tier results in a floor increase by 1, and when it's a floor increase by 2?
And I'm assuming it's a more specific 7.8% per body part under effect of channel (100%/13 body parts)?

I could do some testing, but figured it would be easier to ask!

~Whirlin
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 01:38 PM CST
>Even outside of that and for 99% of the playerbase, for levels 1-100 and a good majority of the capped hunters that don't hunt in the Scatter, you can pretty easily channel and hunt with minimal risk.

So once you are level 100, you are just all out of luck? What are people supposed to do then, when the hunting gets really dangerous and one needs to be able to achieve reliable kills?
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/21/2016 03:24 PM CST
Purely anecdotal evidence but my little mage has had a good time following up knock down effects (which usually put me in the 200+ warding margin range) with channeled bolts afterward. It works out rather well for the lower range.

Tal.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/22/2016 01:27 PM CST
Whirlin
But could you tell me what raw crit tier results in a floor increase by 1, and when it's a floor increase by 2?
And I'm assuming it's a more specific 7.8% per body part under effect of channel (100%/13 body parts)?

For any crit rank 5 or less, it's raised by 1 and for any crit rank 6 or higher, it's raised by 2. The location calculation is 1/13, so more like 7.7%.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/22/2016 01:46 PM CST
Thank you! Will have a new modeling spreadsheet available by end of day... I'll e-mail it to you as well.

~Whirlin
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/22/2016 03:09 PM CST

>To provide some additional details to illustrate the strength of a channeled bolt:

>When you CAST/EVOKE a bolt, it has a little over 16% chance to hit the eyes, head, or neck. A channeled bolt has over a 30% chance. Most of those locations will also result in a crit kill for ranks as low as 5 or 6. While it will take 7+ against the chest, abdomen, or back.

>In addition, when you CAST/EVOKE a bolt, if it's determined to be a rank 9 critical wound, crit randomization can lower that all the way down to a rank 5. If you CHANNEL the same bolt (for the same rank 9 crit), crit randomization won't lower it less than a rank 7. The former is typically non-lethal against vital locations, while the latter is lethal.

>GameMaster Estild

It seems a little odd that we can channel (effectively aim) only toward the head-area, rather than wherever we please. Does channeling a bolt (RP-wise) cause it to naturally veer toward the head-area? If so, why, and if not, why can't we consciously bias it elsewhere?

Mechanically, this is annoying if you are trying to simultaneously kill a creature faster, yet also preserve a head-area skin - a somewhat mutually exclusive task, unfortunately, but biasing the bolts even more so away from the head-area in this case would be ideal.

I understand that this may just be a mechanics compromise to give bolts a power-for-tradeoff - I would just like to understand it more.

Thanks!
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 01/22/2016 05:42 PM CST
I've updated my damage spreadsheet that aggregates out all potential outcomes of AS/DS resolved attacks. You can run simulations for various scenarios.

Since I can't really attach stuff here, here's a link to the PC Thread:

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?98570-Whirlin-s-Damage-Crit-Comparing-Spreadsheet

~Whirlin
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/04/2016 02:00 PM CST
Celerity/Haste does not reduce channel RT. However slow effects increase channel rt. Unintended effect?

Furthermore, slow effect increases the 0 channel rt of rapid fire to above 0, making rapid fire even more useless when slowed and a proc effect happens. Intended or not intended? Hopefully it's unintended and will be fixed.
Prev_page Previous 1