Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/04/2016 03:08 PM CST
DRAFIX
Celerity/Haste does not reduce channel RT. However slow effects increase channel rt. Unintended effect?

Intended.

DRAFIX
Furthermore, slow effect increases the 0 channel rt of rapid fire to above 0, making rapid fire even more useless when slowed and a proc effect happens. Intended or not intended? Hopefully it's unintended and will be fixed.

That is is a bug.

GameMaster Estild
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/04/2016 11:40 PM CST
I don't understand why celerity/haste can't counteract the effects of slow for channeled bolts.
It can for any other action.

Perhaps you mean it is intended that it does not reduce the RT to its minimum 3 for channeling. But I think either slow shouldn't affect channeling OR haste/celerity should reduce slow effect back to the minimum 3 rt.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/05/2016 10:37 AM CST
DRAFIX
Furthermore, slow effect increases the 0 channel rt of rapid fire to above 0, making rapid fire even more useless when slowed and a proc effect happens. Intended or not intended? Hopefully it's unintended and will be fixed.

Can you post a log of this happening? Also let me know what slow effect you happen to be under, if you know (Slow, Lullaby, Pious Trial, etc.)?

Thank you!

~ Konacon
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/08/2016 05:05 PM CST
Can we get a confirmation of whether the bolt channeling bonus applies to 518, or does it just allow you to channel and incur hard RT without providing any bonus? Thank you.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/12/2016 03:14 PM CST
Not something easily tested by me as I rarely use the spell now.
Takes 3 seconds to cast, netting you 57 seconds of usage with 30 second cooldown.

Casting 3 spells normal speed costs 9 seconds.
Casting 3 spells with rapid fire costs 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 6 seconds
So that's only 3 seconds saved overall for 15 mana cost where 3 seconds of it I'm doing nothing to disable critters.

Rapid fire only has a very specialized purpose of killing fast regenerating crap like crusaders and very dangerous critters that can dodge disables like liches.
I don't bother with crusaders, not worth the effort as they're lower level and take too long to kill plus I have to deal with the 30 seconds rapid fire cooldown.

Liches, nice to have, but unreliable due to needing to have it up and running before the lich comes in and that being said, your 57 duration is short and your cooldown is 30 seconds long. Get unlucky and you're either on cooldown or have a few seconds of it left to use it, too unreliable to use consistently so I end up not using it.

Of the times I experimented with it, scatter has a slow environmental effect which happens when frost covers everything slowing down your actions.
Also when bandits use their maneuvers with the slow component. I don't know which rogue skill it is, but it may be one of these: subdue, nosetweak, footstomp.

I'll see if I can just stand around and let a bandit abuse me but not kill me so I can get a log.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/12/2016 03:35 PM CST
Okay I don't think there's an issue with subdue.

You raise your hand and snap your fingers, shaping your mana into a crackling bolt of energy.
Your spell is ready.
Seeing an opportunity, you accelerate time and empower your spell!
You channel at a giantman bandit.
You hurl a small surge of electricity at a giantman bandit!
AS: +278 vs DS: +296 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +7 = +25
A clean miss.
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.
Roundtime: 0 sec.
>inca 901
Wait 1 sec.
>inca 901
A Grimswarm giant elementalist throws her head back and roars, shaking off the stun!
You raise your hand and snap your fingers, shaping your mana into a crackling bolt of energy.
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a giantman bandit.
You hurl a small surge of electricity at a giantman bandit!
AS: +278 vs DS: +296 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +64 = +82
A clean miss.
Cast Roundtime 1 Second.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Roundtime changed to 5 seconds.

So 0 is 0, but channel is 5. If I get get the slow effect in the scatter and somehow manage to find an opportunity to just willy nilly 901 something over and over to test the slow, I'll let you know.

Just trying to get the bandit to subdue me and not kill me was bad enough.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 02/17/2016 02:18 PM CST

I've found that channeled bolts can be a somewhat...and I do mean "somewhat"...mana-efficient way of hunting stuff that isn't terribly dangerous.

For the math inclined, I cast 50 channeled bolts at prone critters, and then 50 regular bolts at the same prone critters, and I found that I got 1-shot crit-kills 6 times on channeled bolts and 4 times on the not-channeled bolts. By that I mean, I only noted the result of the FIRST channeled bolt cast, and repeated it 50 times. This was using 906. On average it takes about 3 906 bolts to put the same critter down.

It is hard to quantify how much mana that saves, but if you figure that on average it takes 3 bolts of 906 to put a critter down, and I got 2 more "1-shot" kills (33% more) then maybe it saves 24 mana over a hunt? So, I mean, there's that I guess. Perhaps if I channeled each bolt I could get that average closer to 2 bolts than to 3, which would represent further savings.

I personally wouldn't voluntarily incur 3 seconds of hard RT in a hunting area where something can walk in and wap me while I'm in offensive at any minute. I only felt confident running this test in an area where I couldn't be touched even in offensive.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 05/20/2016 01:58 PM CDT
"I personally wouldn't voluntarily incur 3 seconds of hard RT in a hunting area where something can walk in and wap me while I'm in offensive at any minute." -- LALakerClan

And yet people wonder why the weapon swingers complain about their vulnerabilities.

"It seems a little odd that we can channel (effectively aim) only toward the head-area, rather than wherever we please. Does channeling a bolt (RP-wise) cause it to naturally veer toward the head-area? If so, why, and if not, why can't we consciously bias it elsewhere?" -- EarthDiver

"When a bolt is CHANNELed, the chance to hit every location is the same at 7% and the crit randomization floor is decreased by 1-2 ranks (depending on the actual crit). For the sake of comparison, the previous chance to hit something like the eye was significantly lower than that." -- GM-Estild, #1174

What you describe is the observed effect, but what actually happened was that the likelihood of any given body part being where the bolt lands was made a flatter percentage. (i.e. Each body part equally likely.)

So you see the bolts hitting head/eye/neck roughly twice as often, but it's still just as likely to hit the leg as it is the chest as it is the eye.
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 05/20/2016 02:28 PM CDT
I thought channeling a bolt increased its chance to hit a vital area? Could swear that went in during HSN.

>And yet people wonder why the weapon swingers complain about their vulnerabilities

Now imagine them doing that, but while wearing robes/full leather while only allowing AMBUSH to be used in the open and without being able to aim it.

~ Methais
Re: CHANNELed Bolts 05/20/2016 03:19 PM CDT
Now do it in 166% of the time... :)

Mostly, my point was to make light of the 'safety' issue. There's plenty of green grass on both sides.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page