Prev_page Previous 1
INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 06:11 PM CDT
Hi everybody!

The INCANT verb has been updated to help deal with some of the new complexity introduced by the EVOKE verb as well as hopefully make it more useful overall. Here's the list of things that changed:

- INCANT SET {CHANNEL|EVOKE|OPEN} {spell} now allows you to toggle options for all spells that have these types of casting available to them.
-- CHANNEL, when set, will cause that particular spell to be CHANNELed whenever incanted.
-- EVOKE, when set, will cause that particular spell to be EVOKEd whenever incanted.
-- OPEN, when set, will cause INCANT to no longer ensure that there is a valid target for an AoE spell before casting it.

- INCANT SET will show you all of your current incant settings.

- INCANT {spell} {CHANNEL|EVOKE|CAST} will override your normal incant settings for this one incant, allowing you to use INCANT and still use all versions of the spell.

- Due to this new set of options, the CHANNELINCANT setting has been deprecated.

- Also, Cone of Elements now allows you to add your element of choice to INCANT.
-- INCANT 518 AIR (Use incant settings to cast/evoke an AIR Cone.)
-- INCANT 518 EVOKE ACID (Evoke an acid cone)

I'll be around to answer questions or take comments! Let me know what you think!

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 06:14 PM CDT
Erm. . . I'm not sure my usual 'Now we're talkin'!' response is going to work here.

How about Wow?

Not sure about the playability aspects to the flags yet - they look in line. Still have to test.

But the Cone improvement?

Just - wow.

Doug
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 06:25 PM CDT
Looks like progress!

Two suggestions/requests:

1) Can INCANT SET be used to also set your preferred element for 518?

e.g. INCANT SET EVOKE FIRE 518

2) Can CAST be updated to use your current INCANT settings?

> INCANT SET EVOKE FIRE 518
> PREP 518
> CAST 518 AT rabid squirrel (will EVOKE the FIRE version of 518 at the rabid squirrel)

I realize I am probably one of three people that still use PREP / CAST but it seems like a pretty small stretch to support this from where you are now!

Also, THANK YOU for your hard work on getting this fix out there Konacon!

-- Robert

Fluke in the programming, or just your average everyday Konacode? ~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 06:52 PM CDT
You're loved by the masses again! Err...I mean, still!

Awesome change. It should help simplify things for folks. I personally don't make use (at least not yet) of any of the updated bolt spells that require EVOKE nor do I have any other characters that make use of CHANNEL. It's nice to know this can be set through a flag if I come by needing it.

Thanks for the hard work!

-Drumpel
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 07:17 PM CDT

Neato, quality of life stuff like this is great to see! I am seriously confused now with all of the new options, but this helps. :)
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 07:20 PM CDT
> Neato, quality of life stuff like this is great to see! I am seriously confused now with all of the new options, but this helps.

Thanks! Also, feel free to ask whatever questions you have. I'm happy to help.

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 08:16 PM CDT

>incant set open 703
You cannot set OPEN for the Corrupt Essence spell.

::tomatoes::
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 08:23 PM CDT
> You cannot set OPEN for the Corrupt Essence spell.

Sorry, yeah. This is currently a limitation of the new system... There are some weird cases that I have to work through in my head to get this type of thing working.

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 08:55 PM CDT
>> - INCANT {spell} {CHANNEL|EVOKE|CAST} will override your normal incant settings for this one incant, allowing you to use INCANT and still use all versions of the spell.

I do want to say a big thank-you for ensuring that the request for the ability to flex-cast any version on a single line be included.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 09:21 PM CDT
Also, like other warding/bolt combination spells, Web (118) now uses EVOKE to cast the web bolt instead of being stance based.

GameMaster Estild
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 09:44 PM CDT
> Also, like other warding/bolt combination spells, Web (118) now uses EVOKE to cast the web bolt instead of being stance based.

Dangit! Yeah... This too. I suck.

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 09:47 PM CDT
> I do want to say a big thank-you for ensuring that the request for the ability to flex-cast any version on a single line be included.

Thank you! The original intent of the update was to provide the SET functionality, and then while I was in there I was like "I wonder if I could do this..."

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 09:58 PM CDT
Thanks! Also, feel free to ask whatever questions you have. I'm happy to help.

How much wood could a a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could invoke cone of wood?

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 10:07 PM CDT
Nice work, Kon!

Can't find anything to complain about, despite my best efforts ;D
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 10:31 PM CDT
Channel/incant command has been "deprecated"? What the heck does that mean? That you are saying bad things about it?

Quoting a line from one of my favorite movies (extra credit if you know which one) "I do not think this word means what you think in means".

I suspect you mean it doesn't work any more. Is this true for spirit casters also? I can't think of any elemental spells that can even BE channeled, unless maybe the new 502?
The rest of the update does seem to resolve most of the former vagueries about the new commands; I'll have to log in my wizard and check them out before making a final assessment, however.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 10:51 PM CDT
>Channel/incant command has been "deprecated"? What the heck does that mean? That you are saying bad things about it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

"Deprecation is an attribute applied to a computer software feature, characteristic, or practice to indicate that it should be avoided (often because it is being superseded)."

>Quoting a line from one of my favorite movies (extra credit if you know which one) "I do not think this word means what you think in means".

Also, in your pique to make a cute and cutting post, you misquoted a line from one of your favorite movies.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 11:05 PM CDT
Not being a computer nerd, I used the more common meaning of the word. Nor does your post answer my question. I'll have to log in my cleric and see what incant now does; hopefully she wont blow her foot off when incant hits her instead of a rolton when using 302.

"You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means". I combined the two sentences; sue me.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 11:26 PM CDT

>This is currently a limitation of the new system... There are some weird cases that I have to work through in my head to get this type of thing working.

Do you have all the weird cases? Or are you still searching them out?
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 11:36 PM CDT
OK, for spiritual casters, the incant command still works fine; it targets the first creature in the room, just like always. The channelincant flag, however, has been turned off for them as well.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 11:48 PM CDT
118 also uses evoke? So some spirit spells are in fact affected by the command changes?

Is there a list somewhere of spells that use evoke rather than incant?
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/21/2015 11:48 PM CDT

another request:

Please update Curse to use the simpler syntax :)

incant 715 itch/clumsy/star/etc.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 12:00 AM CDT
> Is there a list somewhere of spells that use evoke rather than incant?

EVOKE is another form of the verb CAST, not INCANT. If you want 118 to cast bolts, simply type:

INCANT SET EVOKE 118 -- This will cause INCANT to default to web bolts, but have no fear! When this option is set, you can still INCANT 118 CAST to have access to the normal version without having to change your settings.

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 12:30 AM CDT
> Is there a list somewhere of spells that use evoke rather than incant?

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/EVOKE_(verb)

I've made a point of keeping this list current. Hopefully it is.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 12:38 AM CDT
Another issue:

INCANT SET {CHANNEL|EVOKE|OPEN} {spell}
- Change incant settings for {spell}.
INCANT {spell} {CHANNEL|EVOKE|CAST|Where is OPEN?}
- Override your incant settings for one cast.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 12:59 AM CDT
> INCANT {spell} {CHANNEL|EVOKE|CAST|Where is OPEN?}

Another current limitation that I'm trying to figure out a way around. ;)

In all likelihood, it would need to be more like 'INCANT {spell} [OPEN|CLOSED] {CHANNEL|EVOKE|CAST}' which seems a little strange to me.

~ Konacon
Thanks, Van!

>"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

It was broke. This is much better and will be much better with some tweaks.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 01:01 AM CDT
>>If you want 118 to cast bolts, simply type<<

Simply ... yeah, right. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The old system, where you got the form of 118 or 505 that you wanted just by the stance you picked, worked fine. After all, if you are casting a bolt and want it to actually hit, you need to go into an offensive stance in any event. This is just cumbersome.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 01:06 AM CDT
> As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

But something was broke. We didn't have any valid way of adding new options to spells other than using CHANNEL, which induces three seconds of hard RT. Evoke gives us a way to add new options to spells (Which most people seem to like) without requiring it to give hard RT or be stance dependent. In turn, that gives us a lot more leeway in designing new spells and updating old spells that we didn't have before.

> The old system, where you got the form of 118 or 505 that you wanted just by the stance you picked, worked fine. This is just cumbersome.

As more options get added, things are occasionally going to get more complicated (Although I honestly don't see this as more complicated at all. To me this simplifies things a lot). I'm sorry you're unhappy with this particular direction. As it stands, the updates to INCANT allow more versatility than before, and I think that's a good thing. After you get used to it I don't think it will seem as difficult as it might right now.

> Other questions everyone has had today.

I'll try to get to these tomorrow. I wasn't ignoring you, promise!

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 06:32 AM CDT
>2) Can CAST be updated to use your current INCANT settings?

> INCANT SET EVOKE FIRE 518
> PREP 518
> CAST 518 AT rabid squirrel (will EVOKE the FIRE version of 518 at the rabid squirrel)

I'm not completely sure, because I've been doing it with SF buttons rather than macros or scripts, but I think PREP xxx, INCANT is the way I've been CASTing spells for years. So just try replacing CAST with INCANT in that sequence and it probably does what you want.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 06:58 AM CDT

Konacon, I agree completely. People may need to get used to the changes, but the doors this opens will allow some new life to be breathed into the magic system, and can add a depth that will make the game more fun.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 11:07 AM CDT
> 1) Can INCANT SET be used to also set your preferred element for 518?

I like this idea, but I can't guarantee that it'll be something I can get in soon.

> 2) Can CAST be updated to use your current INCANT settings?

This is unfortunately a lot more complicated than one might think... Can't promise this will happen.

> How much wood could a a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could invoke cone of wood?

1 + (Woodland Lore, Wood Ranks -- Seed 11). However, Cone of Wood is already borderline overpowered, and allowing a woodchuck to also chuck wood with it would be game breaking. I doubt I could get the rest of the Dev team on board with this.

> Do you have all the weird cases? Or are you still searching them out?

Still searching things out. If anyone finds things that they think they should be able to set, but can't, please let me know.

> I've made a point of keeping this list current. Hopefully it is.

The EVOKE list on the wiki looks accurate. :)

> Konacon, I agree completely. People may need to get used to the changes, but the doors this opens will allow some new life to be breathed into the magic system, and can add a depth that will make the game more fun.

Thank you!

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 11:14 AM CDT

>If anyone finds things that they think they should be able to set, but can't, please let me know.

I think web was broken in several ways but I don't have my logs for all details. I definitely could not set open like I wanted to.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 11:29 AM CDT
In all likelihood, it would need to be more like 'INCANT {spell} [OPENCLOSED] {CHANNELEVOKECAST}' which seems a little strange to me.
~ Konacon

This makes sense to me, and would love for all the options to be available on one line.

Is there any chance we can also specify a target while we're at it? :)
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 12:09 PM CDT
> Is there any chance we can also specify a target while we're at it? :)

As far as I'm aware, this one can't happen. Sorry. :(

~ Konacon
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 12:14 PM CDT
Phase (704): You cannot incant 704 to use Phase offensively. The only settings for Phase seem to be evoke and cast (with cast being achieved by toggling evoke), but neither will target critters when using incant. You can still cast Phase at critters for the offensive effect.

Fire Spirit (111): Is there any reason to include this spell in the list of spells that can be Incant Set? The only reason I can think of is consistency.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 01:17 PM CDT

Maybe if we keep Konacon so busy here, he won't have time to work on wizard nerfs. SO... 703 was mentioned already. 504 (and I think 413 now?) have similar benefits of additional targets when open-cast. What is the best way currently to achieve this? Set it open or in-line cast it (ie; incant 504 open) or something else?
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 01:21 PM CDT
<< 504 (and I think 413 now?) have similar benefits of additional targets when open-cast. >>

412, not 413.
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! 09/22/2015 02:38 PM CDT
Cool stuff, thanks.

Any chance of an adjustment that would let me use both styles of Cone of Elements with my 5x/day 518 pendant?
Re: INCANT Verb Updated! (paladin spells) 09/22/2015 03:19 PM CDT
Any chance of getting 1602 and 1608 as open cast options?

s>incant set open 1602
You cannot set OPEN for the Pious Trial spell.
s>incant set open 1608
You cannot set OPEN for the Beacon of Courage spell.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,
>Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!
Prev_page Previous 1