Prev_page Previous 1
Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 04:46 PM CDT
Hey guys. I want to take a moment to chat with everyone about the state of fusion. Fusion is a great system with not a whole lot of downsides in the current form. You get to create the perfect enhancive set and is only limited by the number of slots, which makes anything over 2 to be extremely appealing. Fusion went under review this year shortly after the Firebird was released, as we needed to discuss the future of enhancives. No one denies that fusion complements our enhancive system. But for the longevity of our game design, we need to make it a little more modular.

Fusion is undergoing some sweeping changes, but Ebon Gate is offering a final stab at the "old-style" fusion system. Going forward, we will have a "new-style" fusion that will have more upkeep. We're not changing any of the fusion items you currently have. They will likely retain their value and then some. The now "default" fusion setting of 2 slots somehow became a norm, and it was never intentional.

This was not GM Auchand's decision, he is the original designer of the system. He'll be working with me and our Combat and Magic Systems Development team on fusion sometime after Ebon Gate. Until then, you can still use the fusion shaman.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 04:58 PM CDT
Thank you for the explanation, Wyrom.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 05:06 PM CDT
Thanks for listening Wyrom and for changing it back to two slots, those of us in the vocal minority appreciate it when you hear our concerns.

-Dark

P.S. Please don't kill me when you see me next.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 05:27 PM CDT
Wyrom,

I may be reading between the lines here, but is there an implication that Fusion 1.0 Orbs will only work with Fusion 1.0 Gear, and Fusion 2.0 Orbs will only work with Fusion 2.0 Gear?

I'm asking because I want to be sure if the Revised Shaman will be able to make orbs Compatible with the 1.0 Gear, or if this EG also spells the end of 1.0 Orb availability.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 05:33 PM CDT
New-style, or 2.0, will likely be a whole new system. I'll announce more information after EG.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 05:34 PM CDT
>>New-style, or 2.0, will likely be a whole new system. I'll announce more information after EG.

Thanks. The opportunist in my must now start going through a LOT of gear to make some orbs.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 05:50 PM CDT
<< New-style, or 2.0, will likely be a whole new system. I'll announce more information after EG. >> ~Wyrom, APM

What people want to know but don't want to ask is this: if I buy 100 2-slot fusion items for resale, will the new fusion system thwart my planned exorbitant profit? It sounds like a risky investment to me.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 06:36 PM CDT

Translation: "We've noticed you guys like fusion so we've decided to make it worse. Those of you who got in on the ground floor can look forward to massive profits. New-comers, enjoy having the screws put to you."

/Slightly tongue-in-cheek
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 06:38 PM CDT

I am Kinda hoping 2.0 means you can add an orb slot to existing gear to be honest:)

John
Aurach
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 06:58 PM CDT
>>What people want to know but don't want to ask is this: if I buy 100 2-slot fusion items for resale, will the new fusion system thwart my planned exorbitant profit? It sounds like a risky investment to me.

You'll have to take the gamble. We're making some much-needed updates.

>>Translation: "We've noticed you guys like fusion so we've decided to make it worse. Those of you who got in on the ground floor can look forward to massive profits. New-comers, enjoy having the screws put to you."

I realize you mentioned slightly tongue and cheek, but no. We don't hate on systems because you like them.

>>Re: Speculations.

Try not to speculate too much, we'll talk more after EG.

>>Re: SimuCoins

No, it will not involve SimuCoins (outside the enhancives pauses which aren't exclusive to fusion). This was mentioned on the PC.

>>Re: Sylinar's Spire

Yes, this event will be back. This was also mentioned on the PC.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 07:05 PM CDT
>> You'll have to take the gamble. We're making some much-needed updates.

I'm honestly quite curious. I'm hoping that the system is expanding to allow for fusion items in other slots, such as rings, pendants, etc. while putting reasonable restrictions, such as only 6/8/10 active orbs on a character. That way, getting the lucky extra slot items is less of a permanent power break.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 07:40 PM CDT
>I am Kinda hoping 2.0 means you can add an orb slot to existing gear to be honest:)

>John
>Aurach

Let's get going with the wild speculation! You'll be able to add up to 4 orbs, but the recharges will only last an hour of real time, and the base recharge cost (the one we pay now) will be multiplied by orbs^2 (or 2^orbs). The fusion shaman will add slots to a total of 8 at special events.

Bards will be able to sing power into uncharged v2 fusion items to power them up, with the total power of the orbs limited by manipulation ranks.

All characters can briefly power lore-based orbs based on their ranks the lore in question. It will power up on x% of successful attacks or defenses, based on seed 10 of the specific lore, much to everyone's delight.

Orbs will be introduced that add flares, weighting, bless, poison, rot, blink, immolation, SK - all manner of awesomeness - but again only lasting for an hour and at a high BP cost. They can be distributed much more freely than permanent versions of those properties because even the most efficient BP earners will only be able to keep them powered 2-20% of the time (This one would be the most fun! Dooo eeet!)
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 08:02 PM CDT
>You'll have to take the gamble. We're making some much-needed updates.

Let's take resale out of the picture. I currently have 0 fusion items and 0 fusion orbs. I don't have any items in my locker worth turning into a fusion orb right now. If I buy 1 fusion item and 0 fusion orbs at EG, will I be out of luck for getting orbs for that item in the future?
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 08:28 PM CDT
I'll reiterate the slot gear wasn't the big deal. It was always the shaman to create the orbs. I only use slotted armor myself and I have extensive enhancives on multiple characters.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 09:20 PM CDT
>>Let's take resale out of the picture. I currently have 0 fusion items and 0 fusion orbs. I don't have any items in my locker worth turning into a fusion orb right now. If I buy 1 fusion item and 0 fusion orbs at EG, will I be out of luck for getting orbs for that item in the future?

The old-style orbs and gear are really not something to worry about. This is the last time they will be available.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 09:53 PM CDT
I always found fusion to be the least powerful part of the enhancive system.

It's mostly an RP tool, whose main function is to give people access to a portion of the power of the enhancive system without breaking character by wearing tons of earrings and necklaces.

The cost of getting fusion items plus the orbs you want far exceeds the cost of getting a set of random items with equivalent enhancive bonuses. Those for whom copious jewellery is in character - or those for whom character appearance is less important than mechanical advantage - are spared this dilemma.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 10:09 PM CDT
The old-style orbs and gear are really not something to worry about. This is the last time they will be available.

WYROM

But I just invested a ton in duskruin 3-slot fusion armor. I wont be able to make orbs for this brand new armor again after this event?
I was also sort of hoping the offer of adding 1-slot more to make it 4-slot like at last years Rtcf? This was a long term goal but I had thought I could at least look forward to something.
Seems a system overhaul right now will have far reaching effects.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 10:14 PM CDT
Heh, that's a good point MIGHTONS. Part of the appeal of fusion gear is to NOT be covered from head to toe in clashing jewellery.

I would love some container/sash/etc where I could store the jewellery and gain the benefits without the eyesore. I realize the griffin pin is an attempt to alleviate this problem, but have thus far been unable to procure one. (If you have one you want to sell, please feel free to email me)
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 10:31 PM CDT
<I was also sort of hoping the offer of adding 1-slot more to make it 4-slot like at last years Rtcf?>

Did this happen? I don't recall ut if would have been CCF last year not RtCF.

I only remember the adding of a fusion slot as one of the grand prize options for the last mini DM run.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 10:55 PM CDT
Don't get too lost in this just yet. You'll still have orbs and fusion. Things are just getting updated. I'm just making sure that you all know what's up. No lynching!

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Future of Fusion 10/16/2015 11:47 PM CDT
Is this a case of everything thoroughly changing, or is it mostly a coding difference that won't make much difference to the regular orb-consumer?

V V V V V

https://twitter.com/gs4_tahminarre
Re: Future of Fusion 10/17/2015 12:17 AM CDT

~Wyrom, APM

To be clear, you're saying that after this EG, the supply of orbs compatible with current fusion equipment will remain fixed forever?
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 04:09 AM CDT

I can't be the only one who doesn't like the sound of "more upkeep" can I?

I'm not sure how fusion was deemed 'too convenient' considering I have to:
-find fodder enhancives.
-Find a fusion shaman (almost exclusively at a pay event).
-Pay exorbitant orbing prices to said shaman in silver.
-Get fusion gear (by far the cheapest part of this)
-Pay huge charging prices through bounty points. (16k BP for my rather modest setup)

To end up with two enhancive boosts that I probably could have had through stacking jewllery for 1/10th the cost.

I'm not even sure I can earn 16k BP in the time this thing will stay charged. Calling it low upkeep seems completely contrary to reality.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 04:29 AM CDT
I have a box of enhancives that I plan to someday actually use, but any time I start to I stop because the upkeep is already more than I care to bother with.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 05:47 AM CDT
>>I'm not even sure I can earn 16k BP in the time this thing will stay charged. Calling it low upkeep seems completely contrary to reality.

That seems all about right to me, though charging is variable and all. But, yeah. Unless more upkeep means because your equipment gets damaged from drilling holes in it and making it fusion equipment.

V V V V V

https://twitter.com/gs4_tahminarre
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 11:12 AM CDT
I don't even use the existing fusion system myself because I don't want to deal with the upkeep (to be totally honest I now have 1 character using a fusion weapon with 1 orb in it.)

But using Tav as an example at the other end of the spectrum, isn't he maintaining max SA, max Dex, max Strength, max a couple other things just from the bounties he completes?

My guess is that the thought is that this is a bit overkill/unbalancing to have that many bonuses available 100% of the time.

-- Robert

Fluke in the programming, or just your average everyday Konacode? ~ Konacon
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 11:50 AM CDT

>I have a box of enhancives that I plan to someday actually use, but any time I start to I stop because the upkeep is already more than I care to bother with.

Yeah, this is how I generally feel about enhancives. Large pain in the butt for small amounts of gain. Also draping my character in jewellery like tinsel on a Christmas tree, I find personally distasteful.

But you know what I do like about fusion and enhancives?
-They don't require 80 bajillion unlocks, requiring you to hunt GM like it's your job.
-Fusion can be mage enchanted (kinda--pain in the butt, but possible!).
-Enhancives are one of the ONLY usable things that come out of the treasure system.
-Orbing things is one of the few ways to get a decent number of silvers paid from PCs to NPCs.

I have to imagine with these factors that there are quite a few active sets of fusion out there. Whereas the % of Voln and Ithzir armor that will be forever stuck at T1 and sitting in lockers is probably astounding.

I would much prefer to see fusion expanded upon. Non armor/weapon fusion. Make orbing a utility for one of the classes that has none. Monks, I'm looking at you. Though if you want to give this to wizards I would happily take it. More, interesting, player-based interactions with enhancives. Like maybe a priest can pray on your thing to keep it from crumbling for a while. Or have a bard sing a song on your enhancive so you get a warning that it's almost out of charges and you have a chance to refill it before it disintegrates.

There are a lot of cool things that can be done to increase player fun and buy-in to this system. Adding 'upkeep' sounds like a good way to get all but the most hardcore to checkout.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 11:54 AM CDT

Also give mage invisibility the ability to hide an ugly item. I would personally love this.

And bring forgers into the mix. Either allow them to create these items, or modify them in a positive way: lowering BP costs, raising efficiency by slowing discharge, adding slots, something to leverage the grueling hours spent in a forge into an actually useful service.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 02:01 PM CDT
Wyrom, am I reading this right? "Old-style" orbs makes it sounds like moving forward there will be "new-style" orbs that will not be compatible with "old-style" fusion arms and vice versa.

I had an item that I was hoping to swap at the Spire and then orb to complete the enhancive set on my main, but I have alternatives that I could orb right now if there's going to be an issue with compatibility moving forward.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 03:32 PM CDT
Odd that so many of the posts in here are people who dont even use the system. I guess a change would be helpful as a system. I on the otherhand have a massive collection of enhancive items and orbs. I like it and also look forward to 2.0 personally.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 05:15 PM CDT
I don't even use the existing fusion system myself because I don't want to deal with the upkeep (to be totally honest I now have 1 character using a fusion weapon with 1 orb in it.)
But using Tav as an example at the other end of the spectrum, isn't he maintaining max SA, max Dex, max Strength, max a couple other things just from the bounties he completes?
My guess is that the thought is that this is a bit overkill/unbalancing to have that many bonuses available 100% of the time.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but that really, really sounds like "I don't want to put forth the effort to get a bonus, therefore I think NOBODY should be able to do it." Pretty much sour grapes, if you ask me.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 07:17 PM CDT
No sour grapes here. Outside of offering up why I choose not to use the system in general, I was simply offering my opinion as to why I thought they were making changes. From what has been posted on it so far (very little) it doesn't sound as if the intent is to make it easier to maintain/more available.

Why do you think the changes are being made if not for game balance?

-- Robert

Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 09:41 PM CDT
-- Robert

People running max enhancive sets (e.g. +95 melee AS or +70 bolt AS) are not that rare. The point I was trying to make earlier is that doing this with just fusion is nearly impossible. That's why I found it surprising that fusion specifically was being targeted as too powerful.

Enhancives are powerful. Fusion is not; it is an RP tool. It lets people have a modest amount of enhancives without the random trinkets and the full page wear/remove script. Enhancive wearables have a huge price/power advantage over fusion items.

Finally, lest my comments be misconstrued: I am not advocating nerfing enhancives in general instead of fusion, nor do I intend perjorative connotations of any kind towards those who wear tons of enhancives.

Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 09:59 PM CDT
>> Finally, lest my comments be misconstrued: I am not advocating nerfing enhancives in general instead of fusion, nor do I intend perjorative connotations of any kind towards those who wear tons of enhancives.

I'll borrow the above for my follow up post as well since it seems to be needed at this time.

>> People running max enhancive sets (e.g. +95 melee AS or +70 bolt AS) are not that rare. The point I was trying to make earlier is that doing this with just fusion is nearly impossible. That's why I found it surprising that fusion specifically was being targeted as too powerful.

>> Enhancives are powerful. Fusion is not; it is an RP tool. It lets people have a modest amount of enhancives without the random trinkets and the full page wear/remove script. Enhancive wearables have a huge price/power advantage over fusion items.

I think the power of fusion is that it allows you to more easily customize/fill in the gaps where your enhancive sets have holes in them. It's certainly possible to come up with a complete set without fusion (I built an Influence enhancive set for my bard that I am thinking about trying out when he gets older), but the more stats you are looking to max out, the more useful fusion will become in allowing you to 'fill in the gaps' with less effort.

So maybe the current design goal for fusion is to 1) simply make it more challenging to complete larger enhancive sets and 2) make the use of fusion to 'complete the set' a bit more costly to maintain vs actually completing the set via enhancives (thus making enhancives a bit more desirable over orbs in more instances).

Just my two cents. Maybe they'll just make it cooler all around with added flexibility. :-)

-- Robert

Re: Future of Fusion 10/18/2015 10:15 PM CDT
>>Wyrom, am I reading this right? "Old-style" orbs makes it sounds like moving forward there will be "new-style" orbs that will not be compatible with "old-style" fusion arms and vice versa.

"Orbing" is the main thing changing.

~Wyrom, APM

Re: Future of Fusion 10/19/2015 01:05 PM CDT
>> "Orbing" is the main thing changing.

My tongue in cheek response to this:

New fusion system... features square holes. You have to go to a fusion medicine man in order to get your gear cubed.
Re: Future of Fusion 10/19/2015 02:22 PM CDT
No there will be multiple shapes... like hearts, stars, and horseshoes. If you're lucky and find some four leaf clovers and the shaman will be around more than just for blue moons? It'll take pots of gold to buy them, but if you can afford it, they will be sunshine and rainbows.

... Red balloons?
Re: Future of Fusion 10/19/2015 02:27 PM CDT
Ninety-nine of 'em!
Re: Future of Fusion 10/20/2015 09:00 AM CDT
<< Yeah, this is how I generally feel about enhancives. Large pain in the butt for small amounts of gain. Also draping my character in jewellery like tinsel on a Christmas tree, I find personally distasteful. >>

A griffin pin from Sylinar's Spire can help you in a couple of ways. First, it removes the "Christmas tree" effect by hiding most enhancives. Second, you can use it to identify which, if any, of your enhancives are depleted of charges. My enhancive removal script Touches the griffin pin before removing my ehancives to check for empty enhancives. If you're not interested in going to Sylinar's Spire, you can probably find a few for sale by people who have been more than once.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Stylized_golden_griffin_pin
Re: Future of Fusion 10/20/2015 12:30 PM CDT
The armoires are pretty handy too, as they cut the wear/remove scripts down to one sentence from a wall of text. Those are available at the AG.

Regarding fusion being powerful vs enhancives being powerful, they both are. Fusion is not simply an RP tool, it's a tool for gaining more power. Yes, it also can allow you to cut down on the ridiculous jewelry count you have to wear and thus you can call it an RP tool, but it's also very powerful. And maintenance on enhancives is a PITA, but you do get a lot in exchange.

Kerl
Prev_page Previous 1