Prev_page Previous 1
Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:21 PM CDT
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to the racial tension thread. I'm of a mindset to let everyone have their opinions. I'm also not a big fan of censorship. There is a lot of passion on both sides. Making an announcement without knowing what we wanted to change was a misstep. Things got heated, and we are talking about everything internally on how to proceed.

We want to create inclusive roleplay. A lot of the changes were focused on staff policies. But there are quite a few things that exist that don't really add fun. Most importantly, we aren't creating any sort of policy to change how you play, just how we deliver content. We don't plan to rewrite history. We don't plan to change character stats. Just some minor adjustments, outside rewording some of the Half Krolvin lore.

Let me just go through what we'd like to do.

- We'd like to clean up some text where we can that seems out of place.
- We'd like to open several structures in Ta'Illistim to the public.
- We'd like to remove the Ta'Vaalor paper system.
- We'd like to review citizenship and see what all might be hindered.
- We'd like to review MHO policies in certain towns.
- We'd like to review shop biases to give all characters bonuses in certain towns.
- We'd like to add more dimension to Half Krolvins.
- We'd like to review concerns with Dark Elves and Half Elves.

I know a lot of heated words were exchanged. I apologize that it went to that level, I should have stepped in sooner, but I really wanted to make sure I had a better list for everyone before doing that. This wasn't meant to parallel real world events or real world struggles, but we recognize that many do have concerns here. Some of these adjustments have been discussed ever since I've been on staff, we just have GameMasters around now that wanted to help out here. Your suggestions and feedback are still very important. We want to keep an open door policy with any concerns you have.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:28 PM CDT
Might I suggest a running change log on the wiki as changes are made and introduced?

As a fairly long-term player, I'd rather be able to focus on the deltas than disrupt my current leisurely stroll through documents I find interesting or that may impact my roleplay as I prepare for a situation.

My old eyes will thank you.

Doug
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:29 PM CDT
We are in the process of having a better system outside just announcements on the forums. We're getting a few key roles filled for this.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:30 PM CDT
"- We'd like to review shop biases to give all characters bonuses in certain towns."

Isn't that sort of a stat though? Dark elves seem OP statwise without it and it was a choice for many players at character creation either to have it be worth the trading effects or to choose another race/species, it seems like you are removing one of the major cons for one race and not doing anything for others. I would say the negative logic bonuses to some races are more of a glaring issue and lengthen gameplay time vs losing silver, will that ever be addressed?
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:33 PM CDT
>>Isn't that sort of a stat though? Dark elves seem OP statwise without it and it was a choice for many players at character creation either to have it be worth the trading effects or to choose another race/species, it seems like you are removing one of the major cons for one race and not doing anything for others. I would say the negative logic bonuses to some races are more of a glaring issue and lengthen gameplay time vs losing silver, will that ever be addressed?

We are reviewing all the biases. We aren't reviewing stats. We still want there to be choices. We just don't need to double up on the negative modifiers.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:36 PM CDT
Wyrom and all staff -- Thank you. Many of the ideas brought up the other day in the original Suggestions folder thread are included in this list and I appreciate that you're taking the time to address them.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 01:45 PM CDT
Thanks for adding this additional clarity. I suspect this clarity will go along way in stemming some of the backlash you've received. In fact, I was in the process of typing of a (probably too long) post requesting a bit more clarity. Looks like you beat me to the punch!
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 02:55 PM CDT
I'm just curious, is anyone going to receive an apology for one of your GMs flat out accusing people of being racist and heavily implying anyone who disagrees with this decision is racist and therefore their money is no good here?

I really don't want any argument from players or GMs that this did not happen, I read the now deleted posts, I am not a child who will be talked down to and told what I read didn't really happen.

Or is there where you just delete posts (probably including mine) to sweep all of this under the rug and pretend it never happened?
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 03:05 PM CDT
>>I'm just curious, is anyone going to receive an apology for one of your GMs flat out accusing people of being racist and heavily implying anyone who disagrees with this decision is racist and therefore their money is no good here?

Yes, while I don't like generalized statements that don't feel sincere, I've been reaching out to several people over the last 2 hours. I try not to sweep anything under the rug.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 03:34 PM CDT
> Might I suggest a running change log on the wiki as changes are made and introduced?

You know Miss Leafi does this for the TownCrier, right?

We start a new one each year since we started keeping them:

https://www.gstowncrier.com/category/gsiv_changelog/

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 03:41 PM CDT
>> I've been reaching out to several people over the last 2 hours

Hey! If I were to self-select in on being offended, could I get some private Wyrom time, too?

In all seriousness, while my first thought was 'Welp, that's going to curl a few nostril hairs.' and that likely could have been perhaps less shockingly stated - shock is the order of the day, it appears. Leaders the world over are being called to task for word selection, remonstrance, lack of empathy, etc. Some even own it and will apologize, or restate. Some do not even bother.

For my part, I choose for myself not to be offended. I know I'm not racist (intentionally, and even some measurable percentage of the time, blindly or 'systemically'.) If curious how I can make those assertions, ask me over a scotch one day. I cannot choose for anyone else, but I do hope that there are opportunities to continue to learn for us all, including 'the perpetrator'.

We lose ourselves when we stop being curious;
we lose our allies, and our friends;
What life would be if only comment spurious;
drove our actions, decisions or even trends.

The downfall of a civilization is assured when the questions stop and everyone decides what everyone else is thinking.

Doug
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 03:45 PM CDT
Well... first of all, thank you, Luxie. <3 And I hope everyone continues to enjoy the changelog.

But with that said, I do think Doug's request should stand in this case, mostly because this is a contentious topic that needs GMs to take the lead. (There's also the fact that my changelog only covers tangible changes in the playable game world, so while things like a building opening up for more races would get in, adjustments to half-krolvin lore on a wiki page wouldn't get mention from me unless it was also referenced somewhere in game.)

As for the main topic of this post, I have thoughts but will need time to collect them.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 03:50 PM CDT
>>You know Miss Leafi does this for the TownCrier, right?

Yes, yes! Fully a tenth part of the "100.times ^" yes. And I hope it can formally be adopted by staff (if it isn't already).

But - I envision some parts which may still cause questions, or worse, lack of questions. The running exchange probably isn't best for TownCxrier to try to track. :) Although the crew and leadership, and most especially your efforts individually, are all absolutely astounding there are chores I don't believe should be 'volunteered out'.

Doug
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 04:21 PM CDT
<I'm just curious, is anyone going to receive an apology for one of your GMs flat out accusing people of being racist and heavily implying anyone who disagrees with this decision is racist and therefore their money is no good here?>

I was surprised this wasn't mentioned at all.... when I saw THANDIWE's post I assumed that was the main thing was going to be addressed.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:34 PM CDT
I truly think a lot of this perception of fantasy racial stats being problematic could be addressed if the Human cultural documentation (or even a new one that details some continents beyond Elanith) that Humans come in all shapes and colors and not just Imperial = European-inspired or Tehir = Arab/Bedouin inspired. That way, we can point to the physical/mental stats and say, "Oh, look! All Humans are equal in potential both physically and mentally, regardless of their skin color or eye shape. Just like real life!" And the other, non-human races can continue being completely alien to our own and subject to the same differences they are now.

- Teveriel, Arrec, et al

~You remove a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses from in your ebon linen vest. You unfold the earpieces of your spectacles. You put on a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses. You think to yourself, "Deal with it."
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:34 PM CDT
>For my part, I choose for myself not to be offended. I know I'm not racist

That's a cop-out. Clearly we are discussing a sensitive issue here and clearly there are strong opinions on both sides of the argument.

It doesn't take any sort of word twisting to recognize what someone is getting at when they come along and and say "Racists aren't welcome here" in the middle of an otherwise somewhat tame conversation (by our community's standards anyways.)
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:40 PM CDT
>> That's a cop-out. Clearly we are discussing a sensitive issue here and clearly there are strong opinions on both sides of the argument.

>> It doesn't take any sort of word twisting to recognize what someone is getting at when they come along and and say "Racists aren't welcome here" in the middle of an otherwise somewhat tame conversation (by our community's standards anyways.)

It isn't a cop-out at all. You can recognize what is being said and still choose not to be offended by it.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:45 PM CDT
>It isn't a cop-out at all. You can recognize what is being said and still choose not to be offended by it.

He said he chose not to be offended by it because he knows he's not a racist, that's the cop-out, as in if you're offended by the statement then clearly you're a racist because otherwise you wouldn't be offended.

Like I said it doesn't take any sort of word twisting to understand what the statement was getting at, we don't need to dismiss it outright by insisting only racists would get offended by the statement.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:51 PM CDT
>I truly think a lot of this perception of fantasy racial stats being problematic could be addressed if the Human cultural documentation (or even a new one that details some continents beyond Elanith) that Humans come in all shapes and colors and not just Imperial = European-inspired or Tehir = Arab/Bedouin inspired. That way, we can point to the physical/mental stats and say, "Oh, look! All Humans are equal in potential both physically and mentally, regardless of their skin color or eye shape. Just like real life!" And the other, non-human races can continue being completely alien to our own and subject to the same differences they are now.

For what it's worth, that's something you can start doing today. There's a Lashonda somewhere in game, also I think another character named Laquanda (perhaps both owned by the same player?), who both have black/dark skins and curly/frizzy black hair. I believe both are of the human race as well, or maybe one human and one half-elf. One look at them and you recognize they are based off of African humans. This game being so open ended, there's a lot players can already do on their own regarding the point you're bring up. If you want to go further, you can start your own African based character RP or CHE or whatnot. Tehir, Dhe'nar, the huntress, and arachne are all canon cultures/gods that started off from player RPs. Probably a few more I'm forgetting as well.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:58 PM CDT
>>For what it's worth, that's something you can start doing today. There's a Lashonda somewhere in game, also I think another character named Laquanda (perhaps both owned by the same player?), who both have black/dark skins and curly/frizzy black hair. I believe both are of the human race as well, or maybe one human and one half-elf. One look at them and you recognize they are based off of African humans. This game being so open ended, there's a lot players can already do on their own regarding the point you're bring up. If you want to go further, you can start your own African based character RP or CHE or whatnot. Tehir, Dhe'nar, the huntress, and arachne are all canon cultures/gods that started off from player RPs. Probably a few more I'm forgetting as well.

Yes, I could, but is there something wrong with this being a canon addition instead?

~Teveriel, Arrec, et al

~You remove a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses from in your ebon linen vest. You unfold the earpieces of your spectacles. You put on a pair of oval ora-framed spectacles with pale grey lenses. You think to yourself, "Deal with it."
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 05:58 PM CDT
I think we have a different read on what was said.

I don't find the statement offensive either way because I consider the source. Someone who doesn't know me or anything about me. Their uninformed opinion is immaterial.

If I thought this was an official position of the company they are representing, then I still wouldn't be personally offended but I would choose to take my business elsewhere. Clearly this does not appear to be the case in this situation though.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:01 PM CDT
>Yes, I could, but is there something wrong with this being a canon addition instead?

Given what Kveta said regarding resources being limited, having players starting an initiative like this would save the GMs a lot more work, and the work being organically grown over time from player RP also makes it more liable to be accepted by all instead of something a single GM write up and add directly to canon.

Lastly, there's always something admirable about people being the change they want to be, and this is a good opportunity for those concerned about your point to start on.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:22 PM CDT
>>He said he chose not to be offended by it because he knows he's not a racist, that's the cop-out, as in if you're offended by the statement then clearly you're a racist because otherwise you wouldn't be offended.

Tgo - I'm going to address this to you, so there is no ambiguity and as a generous recognition to your contributions in our lands.

You may feel I've copped out by your standards. I will sleep tonight. You may not however put words in my mouth or twist my meaning. I made two declarative statements. That you're triggered is clear, and if I knew why, I might even demonstrate I am also one of those leaders that apologized, rather than simply ignored it.

But I do not know why. Would you care to rationally explain?

Doug
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:30 PM CDT
Personally, I'm of the belief that words and labels only have power if you react to them.

Easier said than done of course.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:37 PM CDT
>That you're triggered is clear

>You may not however put words in my mouth or twist my meaning.

Irony.

>But I do not know why. Would you care to rationally explain?

Explain what exactly? Why I put words in your mouth? I didn't, I read what you wrote. If you feel I misrepresented what you said feel free to clarify.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:37 PM CDT
>Personally, I'm of the belief that words and labels only have power if you react to them.

Which is ironic given the announcement this all spawned from.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:41 PM CDT
Hey everyone, we're not going to continue the same discussion in a new thread. We're moving forward at this point. I think we can all agree that there were some missteps and that accusations were being thrown around. I've listed some of the concepts were are trying to address in game. Let's discuss those.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 06:49 PM CDT
<<Hey everyone, we're not going to continue the same discussion in a new thread. We're moving forward at this point. I think we can all agree that there were some missteps and that accusations were being thrown around. I've listed some of the concepts were are trying to address in game. Let's discuss those.

I'd, personally, like to see half-krol and Dark Elf towns similar to how the other races/species have them. (Gnomes not included cause they're small). I know bits and pieces of Ta'Faendryl exist, just glue them together and good to go!
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 07:57 PM CDT
Hey, everyone. This morning I wrote some things which were rather incendiary and ultimately an unproductive addition to an important conversation. Worse, what I said could easily be taken as a personal or otherwise direct accusation.

I never intended to suggest or imply or directly accuse anyone in the conversation or our community at large of being racist. I truly believe our community is better than that, and that it is easy to become lost in the fervor of the moment when something you feel strongly about is challenged.

However, there is a time and a place and a manner in which a message like this can and should be shared, and I am sorry that what I said caused some of us real anguish and tarnished the message in the process.

--
Naos
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 08:31 PM CDT
Thank you, Naos. Sincerely.

Doug
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 09:00 PM CDT
I would vastly prefer greater efforts to further differentiate classes, races, towns, cultures, and religious zeal in Gemstone. Choices of significant limitation and consequence are necessary to enable unique role-playing opportunities. With many characters now capped, maximally enhanced and augmented, and utilized on multi-account bot-teams where only function and efficiency matter, any regional dissimilarities are certainly inconvenient.

Tarakan
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 09:02 PM CDT
Of the eight points in the OP, six don't really need any further comment from me. As for the other two...

>- We'd like to review concerns with Dark Elves and Half Elves.

Can you name any concerns with half-elves currently in discussion? I play one and I'm not sure I can think of much. (At least not specific to half-elves. Changes in Ta'Vaalor messaging affect half-elves but affect most anyone else too, so that's a different story.)

I suppose I don't like any of the half-elf specific verbs; maybe those could stand a review, especially the COWER ones that imply someone with a history of being beaten.

>- We'd like to review shop biases to give all characters bonuses in certain towns.

Certainly I can think of places where the bonuses and penalties seem nonsensical to me, lore-wise. I can't comprehend why Solhaven has a trading penalty for half-elves even though A) its baron is a half-elf and B) it doesn't have trading penalties for elves, so apparently has no problem with elves anyway. Unless of course those elves are sylvans or dark elves, both of which Solhaven really dislikes for some reason.

My larger concern, though, is that altering trading bonuses is altering game balance. I'm not necessarily saying don't do it; I'm saying it's important that the races somehow remain overall "close enough" that we can continue to make the case that one should pick a race primarily for RP reasons. It's important that we (collectively, not individually) can plausibly say that any combination of race+profession makes sense.

I think consensus already generally says that, other than the overwhelming opinion that sorcerers should be dark elves for both lore-based and mechanical reasons. EK already perfectly articulated that particular situation in Treeva's thread a couple of days ago, so I won't harp any further there.

If these trading changes happen, I'd seriously suggest reconsidering the idea of not adjusting other racial attributes. These don't necessarily have to be traditional stats like Strength and Wisdom, but could even be factors like encumbrance, maneuver bonus, and TD bonuses.

This would especially be important for the races who would not benefit from silver generation becoming more equalized--namely humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, and aelotoi, who already have trading bonuses somewhere. So give them a buff in other categories while everyone else gets a buff in making silver. And that same reasoning would apply proportionately to others who already have neutral trading in most places.

(Dark elves, half-krolvin, and burghal gnomes would be the biggest beneficiaries, then to lesser extent half-elves, sylvans, and erithians, then to even lesser extent giants and forest gnomes.)
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 09:42 PM CDT
This is a list of things I, personally, find offensive in GS. I'm not expecting anything to be done about them. I'm only declaring them in case it hasn't yet come to anyone's attention that they might be considered so:

1. The entire portrayal of Ta'Vaalor as a racist city. It makes my heart sick every time I see messaging indicating that Ta'Vaalor is racist. The ambients are especially horrible.
2. The stereotyped accent of the trainers in the Warrior's Guild. It's no better than portraying a person of Asian descent as unable to pronounce l's and r's. Deplorable.
3. The execrable ending of COL. Up until that point all is fine. The ending needs to be revamped or deleted entirely.

Please note, also, that the list is, in no way, meant to be exhaustive. It is only a list of things that I have run across recently that really bug me. Please don't infer anything by something being omitted. Thanks.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 09:57 PM CDT

Sensati,

If you could give me an example of the ambients that would be great. I have spent hours looking at messaging, and the generic town messaging looks pretty tame. Was this recently? I did find old set of ambients which I thought were terrible, but I thought they were dormant and not firing. I have been spending a lot of time in town on a PC so I could see things first hand.

Any info you can give would be awesome so I can look for them while I am digging.

Thank you for the feedback.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves

Avawren ~ I have Survival and a knife. I can work it out.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 10:59 PM CDT
I'll be happy to look make a list for you. Might take me a bit. Mind you this is in Plat (though I shouldn't think it would make a difference). Thanks for your response.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 11:00 PM CDT
<<- We'd like to review concerns with Dark Elves and Half Elves.>>

With respect to the Dark Elves, I think it is a very large character demographic that has been without its own geographical support for decades now, and for obvious political reasons the base of it should not be in the Elven Nations. I'm not in favor of an open access New Ta'Faendryl. It is a very sealed off city for a lot of reasons, and it would have to be as developed and supported as Ta'Illistim. What I would propose is building Gellig, which is somewhere between Ta'Faendryl and the Demonwall, as an Emporion outpost.

It would be accessed by a permanent rift somewhere in the northwest, probably the Landing region for political reasons. This would be the logical interface point for their Erithi gem traders, and we'd be able to get some development for that part of the map, along with the regional giantmen and Dhe'nar. Sort of like Solhaven versus Vornavis. It would also be far enough away from Maelshyve that the dangerous or transformative radiation aspects of Rhoska-Tor would be a non-issue with having non-Dark Elves present.
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 11:16 PM CDT

"My larger concern, though, is that altering trading bonuses is altering game balance. I'm not necessarily saying don't do it; I'm saying it's important that the races somehow remain overall "close enough" that we can continue to make the case that one should pick a race primarily for RP reasons. It's important that we (collectively, not individually) can plausibly say that any combination of race+profession makes sense.

I think consensus already generally says that, other than the overwhelming opinion that sorcerers should be dark elves for both lore-based and mechanical reasons. EK already perfectly articulated that particular situation in Treeva's thread a couple of days ago, so I won't harp any further there.

If these trading changes happen, I'd seriously suggest reconsidering the idea of not adjusting other racial attributes. These don't necessarily have to be traditional stats like Strength and Wisdom, but could even be factors like encumbrance, maneuver bonus, and TD bonuses.

This would especially be important for the races who would not benefit from silver generation becoming more equalized--namely humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, and aelotoi, who already have trading bonuses somewhere. So give them a buff in other categories while everyone else gets a buff in making silver. And that same reasoning would apply proportionately to others who already have neutral trading in most places." +1 to this
Re: Various Updates 06/30/2020 11:17 PM CDT
If its in plat, no need. I will pop over tomorrow and see what I can find. It may be the old messaging was never swapped out. Feel free to email me a message or two.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves

Avawren ~ I have Survival and a knife. I can work it out.
Re: Various Updates 07/01/2020 12:32 AM CDT
>I'd, personally, like to see half-krol and Dark Elf towns similar to how the other races/species have them.

I love this idea, myself -- it's not exactly in the purview of cleaning up old lore, but it's solid. Even if it's just a small outpost to start, something for the HK and maybe something like...

>With respect to the Dark Elves, I think it is a very large character demographic that has been without its own geographical support for decades now, and for obvious political reasons the base of it should not be in the Elven Nations. I'm not in favor of an open access New Ta'Faendryl. It is a very sealed off city for a lot of reasons, and it would have to be as developed and supported as Ta'Illistim. What I would propose is building Gellig, which is somewhere between Ta'Faendryl and the Demonwall, as an Emporion outpost.

This would be spot-on.

Anything that involves growth of the actual game world is excellent.

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/HNbwpC ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Re: Various Updates 07/01/2020 01:12 AM CDT
>If you made it this far into my post, thanks for reading. ~GILLIEN

Also wanted to bump this from the other thread, since it's closed -- excellent post, +1.

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/HNbwpC ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Prev_page Previous 1