Prev_page Previous 1
Extra Slow Terts 04/24/2009 06:43 PM CDT
My shield is within 20 ranks of my primary armor and evasion and shield are within 3 ranks of eachother. It (shield) is just about to roll over 300. My parry (for secondary training comparrison) is around 350.

My targeted passed 450. So essentially I'm not a bad hand with a spell, but I have this rediculously glass jaw.

My training starts out with melee stuff, ME with 100 shield 86 evasion stance. It checks shield as I'm training ME and swaps it to parry when it's locked. It then keeps checking shield, soon as it's NOT mindlocked it locks again.

After ME is locked I start in on targeted. It does the same checks with shield/parry but things rarely get melee long enough to slap on me.

Sooo...is this a normal tert/primary ratio or do I need to change up my training?

Honestly I don't see how I could train it more. ME while training targeted might pulse down 2-4 times. Shield never pulses more than once before it's locked again.

I'm lucky that right now I can train in gryphons where the spread for defense and offense training is huge. Not sure how many more 200 rank spread critters are out there past this though.

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/24/2009 06:45 PM CDT
Had a question about training and didn't post the stats. There ya go.

Strength : 26 Reflex : 40 +
Agility : 50 + Charisma : 50
Discipline : 50 Wisdom : 39
Intelligence : 40 Stamina : 40

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/24/2009 07:25 PM CDT
Stats don't matter for this question. From the sound of it, you're doing it right, IMO. Trying to switch would cause mindstate issues without any real benefit.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/24/2009 07:42 PM CDT
Thanks. Bit of a bummer though. I was hoping I was really botching something. I can barely get a rank of shield a day whereas targeted I average 2-2.5 per day easy.

That's a long haul to get good at it. I guess the payoff is worth it.

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/24/2009 07:51 PM CDT
That sounds pretty normal. Assuming roughly the same mindstates for the two skills, primary is supposed to be about 3 times as fast if not a bit more than tert skills.

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 09:30 AM CDT
>>I can barely get a rank of shield a day whereas targeted I average 2-2.5 per day easy.

What The Hell, how long do you play per day?? I haven't been able to manage a single rank per day since I was in highschool.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Scene.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 09:50 AM CDT
I get to script at work if the bar is busy. Makes me pretty boring IG. One line of speech per night but it's training time.

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 12:32 PM CDT
So you just admitted to AFK scripting...
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 12:37 PM CDT
It's okay though, she has triggers set up to respond to script checks.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 04:21 PM CDT
No...I just don't get into much RP because I invariably get called out for something. I had to bail on someone the other night I was in a battle royale with. Some twit decided to call in a burglary because she forgot she hadn't closed her garage door.

What is it with people assuming the worst?

I've been checked twice now, in the time I've been playing. Though I'm not sure if it was a traditional check, they were grumping at me because I get way past 500 items pretty regular. Both times my response was within 10 seconds.

The only time I've ever dealt with GM's because of AFK scripting, I called them on myself. I left in a rush for a hot call and my script was on a loop. Got back and I was still chugging away. I didn't really get a warning and they wouldn't take the gained ranks away so it was kind of a dead-end.

Thanks for the assumption though.

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 04:36 PM CDT
Although, ironically enough. The fight started because he dragged me when I got stunned. I didn't really notice it till he moved me.

I watch Netflix while I script, sometimes I miss stuff.

Gotten me into 2 fights so far but that's a giggle too.

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 06:34 PM CDT
>So you just admitted to AFK scripting...

Oh come on, everyone in prime pays attention 100% all the time? Not in my experiences there.

Script checks last many minutes (10?), which is an indication of what GMs consider afk scripting.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 07:49 PM CDT
>>Oh come on, everyone in prime pays attention 100% all the time? Not in my experiences there.

That it happens or appears to happen does not make it right for you to do it too.

>>Script checks last many minutes (10?), which is an indication of what GMs consider afk scripting.

Wrong, that indicates the effort we go through to give players the benefit of the doubt for having looked away or missed a single message. That time frame lets us begin with something simple and work up to a spamming of messages that should not be possible to have missed by anyone paying attention to the game. It does not at all mean that you only have to glance at the screen once every 10 minutes or what have you in order to be in compliance of our policies.

GM Oolan Jeel

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice."
- Richard Moore
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 08:35 PM CDT
...wait, really?

People talk about reading the boards while they script all the time. I mean, I don't like Redeth, but to single her out seems wrong.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/25/2009 08:37 PM CDT
I'm scripting right now fyi

Rev. Reene

"...It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way."
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/26/2009 01:29 AM CDT
>>I mean, I don't like Redeth, but to single her out seems wrong.

I was hating her when it wasn't even cool.

Red'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 02:15 PM CDT
Redeth, don't you train any other weapons? A ranged perhaps? There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, but if you don't want your TM to be 200 over your defenses you should pick up a weapon or two, three, maybe stealths, first aid, perception, etc. as well or you'll always be a glass cannon. Not saying it's the best way to train either but it seems like you could be doing a lot more in combat and things would even themselves out.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 04:18 PM CDT
If having TM 200 ranks over your defenses makes you a glass cannon you'll always be one. It's going to happen and you can't stop it. It's the nature of the skill set even with buffs.

Slowing down your TM just makes you a glass pistol. Add in whatever fun and useful skills you want, but don't ever slow down your TM because it seems out of whack.

At one point here on the boards everyone divided their TM by their evasion. 1.3 was pretty much the standard. I'd bet Redeth is right there too so don't worry about the glass jaw, It looks just like the rest of ours.

>>Not sure how many more 200 rank spread critters are out there past this though.

All of them.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 04:18 PM CDT
I'm what happens when you just train combats all the time. Right now my main weapons are ME and Brawling in that order, both are over 100th reqs, ME is at 104th req.

Most people train their stuff to locked, maybe lock it a few times then head back to the non-combat stuff.

When your terts pulse it's a lot slower than primaries (yay capt. obvious) so it's like having something on a perma wall rank. If you LEAVE hunting and let the stuff drain, your terts are lasting a lot longer than your primaries. I'm not saying they're learning faster or more...but it slows your primary learning rates enough to keep them closer together.

I.E.-TM pulsing at concentrating and shield pulsing at perplexed.

I don't leave combat unless I'm bleeding, too overburdened or decide to RP a bit. So all my draining is done in combat. My primaries and terts are constantly locked so while I'm maxing my training potential, I'm also increasing the gap cause primaries are learned sooo much faster.

I just haven't played long enough to have decent tert skills. At least that's my theory on the glass jaw.

Kinda fits my RP anyways. I WANT to start backtraining once my TM hits 500, maybe 16-18 days if I keep at this pace, but I'm not sure I'll have the discipline for it until I can't train defenses and TM in the same spot.

Redeth---Claiming good girl status since 09'
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 04:24 PM CDT
467 TM and 302 evasion (finally passed three hundred!)

Worked out to like 1.54-55 if you round up.

Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 05:27 PM CDT
Man... 17 ranks between 4/24 and 4/29.

Sometimes I wish I could play at work :(

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Scene.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 05:44 PM CDT
I'd rather have a bar fight but it's been slow. Too much snow, everyone's at home.

That's a pretty good jump. I'm usually at 2.5 ranks a day.

Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 10:21 PM CDT
>If you LEAVE hunting and let the stuff drain, your terts are lasting a lot longer than your primaries. I'm not saying they're learning faster or more...but it slows your primary learning rates enough to keep them closer together.

Not really. Primary skill pools are significantly larger than tert pools, so if you just mind lock everything then leave combat you'll get the same disparity. The only way for slower skills to catch up is if you start capping the faster skills. This isn't really worthwhile, but occasionally it is necessary.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 10:22 PM CDT
>>I'd rather have a bar fight but it's been slow. Too much snow, everyone's at home.

>>That's a pretty good jump. I'm usually at 2.5 ranks a day.

I have to admit, for months you have inspired me to train more, and I have. I circle slowly, but I am inspired and intrigued by your methods.

If you don't mind me asking, how long are you able to train per day, and what are your mentals? Mine are around 30 right now, and if I keep my highest magics (270-ish) mindlocked for hours, I can expect about 0.4-0.8 ranks in 4 hours. Even for my lowest magics, which are in the low 200s, I can expect 1 rank every 2.5 hours post-wall, up to 1 rank every 7 hours or so on a wall rank.

In other words, what am I doing wrong? I have never pictured Gulph as a particularly high-level mage, but more vaguely competent. That level keeps changing, but now I see that as around 70th-75th circle. I am looking for good advice to get there, and you seem to have a good track to success.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 10:38 PM CDT
It's mostly about time put in. If you're locking, you're locking.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/29/2009 11:10 PM CDT
> Primary skill pools are significantly larger than tert pools

Are you sure this is the full picture? I was under the impression that at higher levels, say post 200 ranks, pool sizes start to even out and the difference becomes only significantly noticeable from learning rates?

"When I grow up, I want to be a soulless monster trapped in a suit of enchanted armor and compelled into violent service for a commercial institution through torturous psychic conditioning." -- Armifer
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 12:43 AM CDT
>I was under the impression that at higher levels, say post 200 ranks

Heh, that's an interesting definition of high for a system that caps at 2000. That's 1/10th of the way there by rank and probably 1/50th of the way there by time.

>pool sizes start to even out and the difference becomes only significantly noticeable from learning rates?

Relatively, pools grow closer, yes. Primary pools are always larger than tert pools at the same rank though. I'm not particularly inclined to test the numbers at the moment, however.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 12:53 AM CDT
Eh, only a handful of us in prime can hunt 'dillos so 200 does qualify as mid range and approaching high (350's) IMO. But ya, no idea what the actual pool sizes are to determine when the difference actually become insignificant.

Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 01:03 AM CDT
>But ya, no idea what the actual pool sizes are to determine when the difference actually become insignificant.

Well, what I'm saying is, I don't think it's ever insignificant. I mean, by the time you have 1500 in a tert, you probably already have 2000 in a primary skill. It becomes relatively less important, but it is always important. Dealvo is the best example, since he has the most inflated ranks I know of. 1800s in primary skills, 1200 in tert. If he let his primary skills lag until tert caught up, it might be insignificant then, but...
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 01:54 AM CDT
>> At one point here on the boards everyone divided their TM by their evasion. 1.3 was pretty much the standard.

Out of curiosity I did this myself for my moonie and I got 1.3.

I am amused.

Rev. Reene

"...It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way."
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 01:58 AM CDT
Strength : 26 Reflex : 40 +
Agility : 50 + Charisma : 50
Discipline : 54 Wisdom : 40
Intelligence : 40 Stamina : 40

(my wisdom being at the same as my intel is a very new development, it's usually 5 below)

There's the mentals. Past that, I really just play quite a bit.

>>I can expect about 0.4-0.8 ranks in 4 hours. Even for my lowest magics, which are in the low 200s, I can expect 1 rank every 2.5 hours post-wall, up to 1 rank every 7 hours or so on a wall rank.

That sounds almost exactly like mine. My wall ranks are a bit longer...but the high stuff is about the same. Post wall stuff is always fun but it's really starting to blend with mid-ranks. 2.3 pulses and then 1.9 pulses doesn't make for a real noticeable difference.

I also ignore a lot of things that make people better in general. I've gotten 15 ranks of TM in 5-6 days...but I've gotten MAYBE 3 ranks of perception in a month.

I'm about to hit 100th circle and I have 292 perception. I believe (aside from boring magics) that's my highest non-combat skill. For me though...if I'm not training for actual combat, what's the point? I just need to figure out a way to work perception in there.

If you hunt gryphons, or if you know how to change a few things in a script, I can give you the script I'm using currently. I warn you, it's a Rena spectacular, so it's got bits of old stuff in there that aren't used anymore...it also trains shield, so if your skill in that isn't high enough I'd skip it.

I don't think I do anything better or differently...I just do a lot of it.

People are weird about sharing stuff in this game. The scripts are open to anyone but they only really do anything for warmies. Just aim me at Redethmorsfieri.

I got...A hunting script that I just modify when I move from place to place...so it's got a few character marks, power perception scripts for different areas, ratha, crossing, rossman, I think a Lang one, though I might have butchered it.

The rest is all the single training easy stuff. Compendiums, juggling, foraging, MD, primary, even a few stealing scripts from back when I thought it was a nifty skill. All of em train till mindlocked, and in the case of the hunting script keeps sleeping/awakening to keep on going. I string them together when I'm doing non-combat training.

It's not like these are Kraelyst scripts either...just match/wait stuff and all of them are for stormfront.

I really don't have a great working knowledge of game mechanics. If I'm doing something goofy with my stats or my training that's working really well for some reason, I couldn't tell you.

I DO know that I have VERY little social interaction in game with Redeth unless I'm getting my skull beat in. So it's been a bit of a steep trade off. For right now I don't mind so much but later on...you can train all you want but if you're virtually a script bot watching numbers count off what's the point anyways? So I'm gonna have to slow down if I expect to have any fun.

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Primary Magic: 604 45% bewildering Harness Ability: 620 80% perplexed
Power Perceive: 455 14% muddled Magical Devices: 471 73% pondering
Targeted Magic: 469 43% mind lock

That's her in a nutshell. With 300's for defenses.

Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 02:10 AM CDT

:D

C-C-C-C-C-COMBOBREAKER.

Ok fine.

That's assuming I take it literally and do TM (227) divided Evasion (305).

Evasion divided by TM does get me 1.3

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 02:13 AM CDT
>C-C-C-C-C-COMBOBREAKER.

Warmies need a spell lets them imitate Cinder or Glacius.

Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 02:45 AM CDT

TM/Short Staff is 2.9

Why? Why not?
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 08:37 AM CDT

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 08:53 AM CDT
1.1376. Now if I can only keep it that way forever. Not likely.

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I blame Bubba:
http://the-emu.mybrute.com
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 09:18 AM CDT
>>Slowing down your TM just makes you a glass pistol. Add in whatever fun and useful skills you want, but don't ever slow down your TM because it seems out of whack.

I do this and i honestly don't know why anymore, it seems like i'll never be effective with my ranged weapons on at level opponents but for some reason i want 600 LX as bad as i want 1000 TM.

TM/evasion 1.10

TM/HE 1.11

TM/SB 1.48

TM/LX 1.60
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 02:11 PM CDT
Yay! I'm the most out of whack!

Anyone beat 1.55 tm/evasion?

Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 02:53 PM CDT
<<Anyone beat 1.55 tm/evasion?

1.68 on my moonmage unfortunately.
1.00 on my bard makes up for it.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Extra Slow Terts 04/30/2009 03:02 PM CDT
1.6 on my MM. PM/TM is 2.54 though. Getting smaller now that I've brought him into combat.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Prev_page Previous 1