Prev_page Previous 1
Help 09/12/2007 06:08 PM CDT
Hello,

Im asking for some help regarding training up a new WarMage on my second account. He is Rakash <which i know doesnt matter in the long run but may impact training in the beginning>

I played a war mage many years ago, Lorrca, and managed to gain him his 36th circle before walking him in a fit of rage during the Sorrow War.

Anyways.. things were alot different back then in being a Warmage. Many changes in learning, stats, and mostly magic have happened since then.

Im needing some guiding hands even after reading 300 posts about you guys and spells working and not working and what happens with 1200 PP and 1500 PM and all that stuff.

Anyone remember when they had 4 PM ranks? And couldnt focus on a rune without a 56 second RT?

Id like some advice, opinions, first spells choises, common spell progression and any other tidbits of information regarding this profession.

Thanks in advance.

"Anything you want in the world is yours. You just need the skill to steal it, the strength to take it or the nerve to kill for it."
(Ancient Proverb)

Dusk M'row,
Chosen of Damaris
Re: Help 09/12/2007 07:34 PM CDT
>>Anyone remember when they had 4 PM ranks? And couldnt focus on a rune without a 56 second RT?

Yup, I remember. In fact, I still have a couple of chars like that.

If you can, obtain a fan from the premie shop in Crossing. That will teach MD to about 50 before it starts activating- or at least, that's what I see with one of my little chars. Now, I seem to remember a cap being put in on rune-focusing RT so it won't be so horrid. But I wouldn't bet on that.

You'll probably want Aether Lance or Fireshard still as your starter spell. Unless you have an RP reason to do otherwise, go with Aether Lance: Weather and geography will be less likely to have adverse effects on it, and it is a prereq for a number of lovely spells and cantrips.

There are those who will say otherwise, but remember that you are a WARRIOR as well as a mage- so don't neglect your mundane combat skills. And pack a shield: It might save your hide.

Try to work brawling: That will give you a wider array of maneuvers to use for balance that won't fatigue you. And brawling no longer has that awful balance penalty that it used to have.

Have fun!

Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Help 09/12/2007 08:08 PM CDT
I'd choose Gar Zeng most certainly as your first TM spell. It provides really high accuracy and will be your go-to spell for quite a while.

If you're going to buy forged armor, I'd start out with LC shirt, HC greaves, and HP head/hand protection, and just ride that out for as long as you feel, with the good option of switching to all HP if you feel it's a good choice. The encumberance won't be too bad if you start them all right when you begin hunting.

If I was picking spells now, knowing what I use and how often I use it, as well as factoring in recent changes, it'd go:
Gar Zeng, Zephyr, Sure Footing, Swirling Winds. Those are four staple spells (Zephyr can be very useful with low stamina, and is necessary for Swirling Winds) out of the way. Then get ES and AL for SD. Now you have all your reqs for Lightning Bolt (minus Tingle), and the next spell that you'll really be wanting to get is YS at 20th (save the spell slot at 18th). That's kind of cookie cutter, but I do think that is a highly effective approach.

WORK PP. Like Ryeka said, USE SHIELD (sorry Ucu). Also, if you're going to pick ME or HE, please save yourself heartache and go with HE to start with.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Help 09/12/2007 09:06 PM CDT
>>And couldnt focus on a rune without a 56 second RT?

I try my dangedest, but in all my life I've never been able to get an RT greater than 30 seconds from focusing on runes unless I push more power into the rune (which is fairly stupid before 100 ranks unless you plan on actually rubbing them to activate the effect). I find it similar to the 30-80+ RTs people keep saying they get for foraging careful--that is, I've never seen them.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Help 09/12/2007 10:20 PM CDT
I'll second Gar Zeng. AEL is weather neutral. Fire Shard is hurt in rain/snow and only boosted on hot days. Gar Zeng is not hindered by any weather type, but is boosted by rain/snow. Gar Zeng will teach you TM for quite a while.

I'll second training a shield. I remember reading somewhere that the best route is from 0-50 use a small shield, from 50-100 use a medium shield, and beyond that use a large shield. I carry two shields, a tanned small shield for my arm and a tower shield to hold, so I'm always behind a shield.

For armor: Heavy Plate is the best armor for a Warrior Mage, but it's probably too much to start off with just HP. Use some leather and a HP helm/gauntlets until you get the skills and stats up. Try to pick up a parry stick too.

For other spells to choose, I'd say get Ethereal Shield or Sure Footing as your second spell. These you can use to train PM/HA outside of combat. Other must-get spells are Zephyr, Swirling Winds and Y'ntrel Sechra (For the plate). Other useful spells are Frostbite, Ice Patch and Tingle (need Arc Light). I'd also suggest Dragon's Breath when you have good magic skills. Chain Lightning is a good spell to get for learning TM, but DO NOT get the spell if you have the bare minimum magic requirements for your circle. Spells to avoid: Fire Rain (until you get good PM/HA/MD) and Ball Lightning.

Weapons: Train more than one. By 10th, you'll need a second and at 70th I think, you need a third. Best to just train them all together at the start. Heavy Edge is my favorite, but you might want Medium Edge in the beginning, just don't keep using it for long. Many people say train a ranged, I like using Heavy Thrown. As Ryeka said, train Brawling too. It's really easy (When training a weapon, use CIRCLE, SLICE, SHOVE, great way to train brawling and the weapon).

For magic: Again, like Ryeka said, get a Zephyr fan from the Premium shop. I think they're a couple gold. I think you just have to tap them to learn MD. Once it gets high enough, you'll start to actually use up the charges in the fan. At that point, you could move on to cambrinth. Start small, a ring or an armband. Twisted cambrinth armbands hold 32 mana and can bought for 1807 dokoras from the Warrior Mage fortress near Shard. Train Power Perceive, don't let it slide. Power walk a lot.

I should listen to my own advice here. Avoid TM classes. If you want to listen to a class, listen to tertiary combat skills (evasion, armor, shield). If you can afford to waste the coins, get some armor-teaching juggling items. Also get some juggling items that'll teach your perception, and juggle every chance you get. Don't stand still on the ferry, juggle.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck.

---
Join World of Elanthia
http://www.worldofelanthia.com/index.php
Re: Help 09/12/2007 11:31 PM CDT
The best decision I made was to train my PP as much as possible. I found the biggest hindrance to learning as a WM early was mana levels. Low mana = lower preps on TM = less TM learning. Low mana = buff spells kill attunement = no mana for TM casts = less TM learning.

Keeping PP locked is really, really easy. Once you hit the point where you can siphon mana from adjacent rooms (80? 90?), life becomes much much easier.

In terms of devices, I'd say get a cambrinth ring, use that to about 20-30 ranks, then go buy an armband. Use it to cast your buffs as strong as you can while using min prep as to not kill attunement, and cast TM spells using as much mana as you can without zapping your attunement.
Re: Help 09/13/2007 07:36 AM CDT
Well, I sometimes, like Ryeka, pull out a lower character to play with or to test something.

I haven't played much with AEL, but of the spells I have used, I would say that GZ is one of the best trainers right from the get-go.

Second spell I would get is ES, as it is the best way, IMO, to train multiple Magic skills out of combat.

Along with ES at second level, I would pick up a cambrinth ring or something better if you can afford it, but a ring is good to start with. Charge the ring, prep ES at 1, focus the ring, and cast. Rinse and repeat.

From what I remember, I could fully charge a ring, to start with, using 7 mana, and as my MD increased, I was able to gradually lower it down to the 4 mana the ring acually holds.

Hobby horse: Power walk EVERYWHERE to start with. Around 60-80 PP, you start to see adjacent mana, around 100 or so, you start to get the use of it. Don't stop training PP even then, it now has benefits up to 600 ranks or so.

For MD, I would advise setting an eventual goal of 180 ranks, when training it goes from a pain in the neck to something you can do easily in combat to keep your capped buffs up, since you can use cambrinth with one hand empty at 180.

Shield is useful. UNless you find otherwise, I would advise just staying with an arm-worn small shield, since you can use cambrinth with it, skin with it, and pick up your loot, all without losing your shield defense.

Brawling is useful, as mentioned, and easy to train.

I would tend to look at SuF for the third spell, unless you are having fatigue issues, in which case I would go for Zephyr instead.

Don't go for 2nd tier spells until your magics are over 50, or it is just going to be frustrating when you can barely cast them. I remember when one of my characters got SW when he was just barely at level to qualify. It cost him atrocious, for his skills, amounts of mana, and gave very little benefit. Something like 5 roisaen or less at his personal cap. :(

So, avoid runes, their training potential is miniscule compared to their RT cost. Maybe just rub one or try to use a device, that is less costly in wasted time; but I found that a ring was best.

Spell progression, as I prefer it:
GZ, ES, SuF, Zephyr, AL, SD, Tingle, SW & YS.

Other spells to taste and fill out some of the gaps, since there will be a break between getting SW at 12th and being able to get YS at 20th.

Power walk, power walk, and power walk some more.

For armor, I am currently in LC/HC for my "real" fiughting, but training them all to some degree. Similarly, I have a few weapons I concentrate on, mainly HE and Brawling, but I have some ranks in everything, and backtrain them when playing with my lower armors.

Once I hit sand sprites, I found that box skills were quite nice, although a drag to get to that level originally. Skinning is a royal pain, given a few issues with both the best way to train it and that skinning skill needed and combat skill needed for creatures don't really correspond very well, if at all.

If you decide to take up climbing as one of your required Survivals, take a trip to Aesry and go up and down the stairs between the docks and the city for a while. For a tert, they train quite well. I know that I still need to take breaks on the way to let my pool drain. Although it isn't quite as much of a problem when I power walk up and down them...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Help 09/13/2007 11:53 AM CDT
Ooh, I'll agree maybe SW should be held off for a bit. I still think Zephyr's a strong second spell. At an early level, any magics you need to move should be able to be worked in combat. Fatigue's a big deal now, especially if you don't want to drop a ton of tdp's into stamina to begin.

As far as MD goes, I don't know. I didn't start training MD at all until 15th circle, which was nice because then it shot up and I had my magics reqs all set (and am still riding a wave because of it). By that point I had enough concentration that I could use cambrinth fairly easily. Those first 40 ranks sure do suck. If I had a fan, I probably would have trained MD at the start.

I'd still go: GZ, Zephyr, SUF, ES, AL, SD. No need to get any more TM spells until you get AEL as a prereq for ALA (which I recommend getting before LB).

A happy choice, like Kynevon mentioned, might be to not let your box skills fall behind. Could probably throw hiding/stalking in as well.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Help 09/13/2007 12:47 PM CDT
One minor consideration to what Kyn mentioned using the camb. To avoid the chance of misfire and potential resultant nerve damage at low skill levels I have found that prepping, then charging, then focusing and then casting worked better than charging first and then prepping.

M
Re: Help 09/14/2007 06:02 AM CDT
>>One minor consideration to what Kyn mentioned using the camb. To avoid the chance of misfire and potential resultant nerve damage at low skill levels I have found that prepping, then charging, then focusing and then casting worked better than charging first and then prepping.

Sorry, been a while since I actively played with camb at low skills, other than incidentally.

That, and I am still, subconsciously, training magics per the old, old set of reqs, where all magic skills were required to advance, and TM capped at 30th...

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Help 09/14/2007 01:07 PM CDT
>That, and I am still, subconsciously, training magics per the old, old set of reqs, where all magic skills were required to advance, and TM capped at 30th...

I dropped TM instantly, figuring ice patch is where it's at. Made it to 50th or so... once I came back and realized I have to backtrain insane amounts of TM it was time for a change of profession...

Yoakena appears as a faint green star, threatening to flicker out of existence at any moment.
Re: Help 10/09/2007 11:10 AM CDT
advice is use gar zeng to learn target up to 200 ranks. then get CL.

The only spells other then that you want early are Sure footing, so you can hit things you wouldent otherwise with the agility bonus, and Swirling winds, so you wont be gimped by your defences tertiness. The most damaging spell in the game is Aether Lash, and is good to get pretty soon. Not for target training (debatable) but more fore killing things your induvidual gar zeng bolts glance off of.

When getting spells remebr we dont need to have many attack spells. go for buff and utility. some good ones are Ice patch, frost bite, static discharge, tingle. Also get either veil of ice or mantel of flame for pm training. Do NOT get fortress of ice, critters just run out makes it almost useless now. thunder clap seems to be too gimped to be useful as before. YS can be usefull depending on your armor. But if you have good chain armor and ~200 ranks. you dont get much benefit form a capped cast consideirng the mana.

Two Handed Edge is a good primary weapon to go with. since we suck at shield anyways, and a 21 stone bastie has great slice well construction, reasonable balance in THE mode, will have 1/2/3 second round time once you have 29/29 in agility and strength in either THE or HE mode. so when you start to need a secondary weapon, the HE is built in. almost makes the choice for you. Alot of people say get a bow, but F bows. the ammo you need to hunt at high levels costs too much and is too often lost for too dumb of reasons. You cant defend your self with a bow, and you already have magic for ranged fighting. I always used to tout short bow as the machine gune asy to learn skill, but after 100 ranks the damage drops to within reason when they have armor, and when they start charging from pole and me not defnding with naything cept my tert evasion skill, yuck.

I dont know what change did it, but LE and ME are realy gimped at higher levels when cirtters have hard armor. And THE can simply have better stats with same RT as HE. do you realy need that second hand with arm work small shields? HB THB good weapons with the added effect of unbalancing the opponent. also morningstars the only forgable one handed weapons with a sever damage stat (impact). the down side is they only do impact, where THE does impact and slice. this makes a giant differance. And since THE can get high damage with lower weight it makes more sense especialy before circle 70ish where you could expect to be balanced in stats and sitll have min RT on a good morning star.

arm worn shields which you may not know about. armor terts guilds can ADJUST any shield to make it arm wearable, which lets you block without holding it, which does cap to high end protection of the shields, but sitll good for fighting things like vipers. secondary can wear up to medium sized, and paladins can wear large.

In terms of armor, i think general concensus is for a warmage LC is your best bet. high proctection, low hinderance, forgable.

For hunting. You should start with frogs in haven. then at 20 ranks go to goblins in crossing. then at 35 go to eels. then at 50 go to beisswurms. then at 70 go to rock trolls for a little bit, dont let them swarm you. at 80- ranks head to ratha for sand sprites or blood wolves. at 100 ranks go to silver leucros. at 130 ranks to bawdy swains. at 150 ranks go to Hatchlings. at 180 ranks go to pirates or black leucros. 200 ranks is where im standing and im messing with la'heke, or blight ogres. but none of them feel realy niched. any suggestions are welcome : - )

Which brings to mind there is a new province, the dwarven mountain province P5. has some critters starting around 50 ranks i think going... well high. Its just west of leth or shard, easy to get to with a decent map or travel script.

Also be sure to find out what pathways are availible to you. theres been some new releases there, and having pathway accuracy can make TM training a bit easier. And barrage can be fun.

Thats all i can think of at the moment. Enjoy and welcome back

- Sloged

Limitation strictly defined by motivation
Re: Help 10/09/2007 11:41 AM CDT
>>For hunting. You should start with frogs in haven. then at 20 ranks go to goblins in crossing. then at 35 go to eels. then at 50 go to beisswurms. then at 70 go to rock trolls for a little bit, dont let them swarm you. at 80- ranks head to ratha for sand sprites or blood wolves

Skip the rockies. Stick in beisswurms until mid 60s at the highest then head to sand sprites. As a WM with SW and SUF up, I barely get touched with 4 sprites on me with 66 evasion and 52 shield.

With P5, tommyknockers are good from 50 ranks, but I think that after them there's nothing for while.
Re: Help 10/09/2007 06:33 PM CDT
All sound advice, and I'm not saying anything in particular is incorrect, but remember that despite the number crunching, fun is important, bows can be a good change of pace and useful in no/low magic areas, heavy plate can be forged to be as low as insignificant(even none i hear with a bit of protection/durability loss) with YS up, and thats nothing to shrug at with plate protection.

It also never hurts to explore a bit and find creatures you enjoy training on, the mentioned list is definitely reliable to get you up the scale, but theres a lot more out there to toy with.
Help and feedback for my character 05/22/2008 12:21 AM CDT
Race: Human Guild: Warrior Mage

STATS
Strength : 24 Reflex : 24
Agility : 24 Charisma : 24
Discipline : 24 Wisdom : 24
Intelligence : 24 Stamina : 24
Favors: 16
Concentration: 132 Max: 132
TDPs: 6
Encumbrance: None

SKILLS
Shield Usage: 106 01% clear
Heavy Chain: 105 98% clear
Light Chain: 126 09% clear
Multi Opponent: 126 57% clear
Parry Ability: 126 17% clear
Evasion: 127 05% clear
Escaping: 27 85% clear

Medium Edged: 124 52% clear
Brawling: 94 07% clear
Medium Blunt: 89 41% clear
Light Edged: 51 21% clear
Heavy Edged: 48 04% clear

Primary Magic: 228 32% learning
Harness Ability: 254 05% thoughtful
Power Perceive: 252 09% learning
Magical Devices: 246 79% thoughtful
Targeted Magic: 148 52% clear

Skinning: 88 22% clear
Climbing: 119 15% clear
Swimming: 69 11% clear
Perception: 111 25% bewildering
Hiding: 108 52% clear
Stalking: 92 10% clear
Disarm Traps: 95 75% clear
Lockpicking: 93 11% clear
First Aid: 66 34% dazed
Skinning: 88 22% clear
Appraisal: 172 51% clear

As you can see I'm not really so concerned with trying to circle quickly as I am trying to stay balanced between magic and mundane. I know what to hunt that will train my defenses and weapons, but I'd like to also work target occasionally as well. Also, I wanted to bring all my stats up to 25 equally before beginning to pump up some more than others (I don't know if that was a good idea or not, but it seems to be working well for me...)I know my weapon skills are looking pretty weak so I'll also be focusing on and backtraining a few weapons while I'm at it.

1.) I'm in a bit of a slump lately, not sure what I should be hunting that will challenge my magics.( Theren/Lang may be a good spot, vines and creepers for mundane and small pecs and swamp trolls for magic...?)

2.) I'm not sure what spell to get now and one slot from now (Anyone have opinion about Stone Strike? Is it "a wasted slot")? What do you all think of Static Discharge? I think I have a decent selection of targeted spells but probably need to get a "crowd control" type of spell that does fair damage (I'm thinking of just going LB now and then CL at 41). OR, in your opinions should I be looking to go with some non-target spells like defense buffs, utility, etc...

<<Any feedback, advice or opinions regarding spells, stats, skills, etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

SPELLS
Ethereal Shield , Aether Lash Aether Lance
Arc Light, Tingle, Gar Zeng
Fire Shard, Fire Ball, Dragon's Breath
Frostbite, Ice Patch
Sure Footing, and Fist of Stone
Zephyr and Swirling Winds
and ONE OPEN SLOT

Thanks for your time and consideration!
Re: Help and feedback for my character 05/22/2008 08:48 AM CDT
>Zephyr and Swirling Winds

I highly suggest YS. The absorption boost to armor is excellent, and it's good for training PM out of combat.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Help and feedback for my character 05/22/2008 09:48 AM CDT
I would say get SD or Tremor. SD is great for stunning things and leaving them off balance for TM and/or other weapons. Tremble is also good, and has the added advantage of being effective from all distances (SD only works at melee). If you are going to backtrain a melee weapon, I would say SD will be more useful as you can stun something and then wail on it with ease. this makes backtraining weapons a lot easier since you can usually backtrain on much tougher critters.

As for hunting, I would say top choices for you are probably bawdy swains (Ratha) or snow goblins (Aesry...tier one until combats are ~140-150, then just move to tier two until about ~160-170, and then on to tier 3 until about ~200). These creatures will have good payouts (snow goblins are skinnable plus they drop coins, gems, and boxes) while also being good for training and spawning. It helps a lot that you have tingle. With snow goblins, the easiest way to hunt them is to tingle them, grab their weapon (which will cause it to disintegrate), and then let them try to fight you weaponless (far less dangerous this way). I think once you tingle swains they will not pick up their weapon again, which makes them easy for a made using tingle as well. The swain area has great mana, and snow goblins have a few really good rooms as well. This is nice for buffing up (SuF and SW are my favorites) as well as training TM.
Re: Help and feedback for my character 05/22/2008 10:28 AM CDT
>>The swain area has great mana, and snow goblins have a few really good rooms as well. This is nice for buffing up (SuF and SW are my favorites) as well as training TM.

With TM at 148, he's at or approaching the soft cap on swains. At that skill level, I had to go to hatchlings to get TM moving past learning.

Otherwise, it seems like decent advice.

Daytime barghests may also work--their soft cap is a bit higher, and his defenses should be able to handle them just fine as long as he doesn't let more than 2 in at a time.

>>(I'm thinking of just going LB now and then CL at 41)

Based on the advice I've heard over the years, I would wait a few circles on getting CL. YS or SD would both be good spells to pick up now.

The only other thing I would suggest is training your escaping a bit more using the FLEE command so as to be able to better handle unyns, which you could probably do soon as well. Your climbing and perception should be enough to get you up the cliff on the Mistwood Road west of Riverhaven.

Hope that helps a bit.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Help and feedback for my character 05/22/2008 10:38 AM CDT
Last time I tried Stone strike it was still a pretty mundane killing spell, and you seem to have plenty of targeted spells already.
I am a big fan of SD, would highly recommend it as a crowd control option. YS is also a very nice buff spell if you still have fair armor hindrance, this spell will give you a nice evasion boost, and the extra armor protection is also nice.

As far as where to hunt, Snow goblins might just work out real well for you. I always thought they were one of the best hunts in the game. You might be a little low in box and skinning skills for the first tier, but the goblin hides can be scraped 5 times so skinning can be trained up there. Aesry is also a real good spot to learn climbing and swimming once ya figure it out, the Latami cliffs east of town, and the stream in the housing area south of town will teach your survivals well.

I know there is warmages training in Theren as you suggested, dividing time between little peccs and gypsies, so that is an option, but not my first choice.

Wabo
Re: Help and feedback for my character 05/25/2008 08:28 AM CDT
SD. You can use it to stunn things and slice and dice them with lower ranks of weapons than would be required under normal circumstances. Also helps with hidding. Can Stunn retreat to pole than hide. Hidding made ezy.
Re: Help and feedback for my character 05/28/2008 11:51 PM CDT
Red's warmie guide to circling:
Heavy edge and Heavy thrown! Gar Zeng is the best for TM, and MOF is the primary teacher. Harness trains itself while you train primary.

prep mof 10
harness 6
harness 6
harness 6
cast

ZOLUREN!:
Ship rats
West gate Goblins
Wood trolls (even if they're scary)

Qi...Reshalia (14th circle is when I started on sprites):
Sand sprites! GREAT training, weak hits, GOOD money.
Swains...yes I know silver leucs are nifty...NO leucs! SWAINS!
Kra hatchlings until your TM doesn't move anymore.

Therengia...Lang:
Peccs (multi/shield), non-shield swampies (parry/TM/weapon) and Fendryads (TM!)
When non-shield trolls/fens don't teach TM (cause spawn rate bites the big one)...
Shield trolls (shield/TM), Fens (weapon/parry)

Ilithi:

Gryphons...Till you can buy your own boat.

Thats as far as I am. Poor cause I hate burden...but happy!

Red'

"Most of us are decent people in the real world. Try to remember that the next time you are judging someone." Anger is the recourse of the cornered, be they ignorant or otherwise.
Spell Help 01/14/2009 11:25 AM CST
I just came back after a long time away from the game and I've found that, due to changes, a great deal of my spells have been made redundant, and are just wasting space in my slots.

First, the spells I know:

Aether Lance, Ethereal Shield, Aether Lash
Frostbite
Sure Footing
Zephyr, Swirling Winds, Thunderclap, Y'ntrel Sechra, Vertigo
Gar Zeng, Arc Light, Static Discharg, Tingle, Lightning Bolt

And my problems with them:
SD - All this does is stun whats in melee with me now. This is good. I will keep this spell for that reason, but it does make a few other spells obsolete or unnecessary.

Frostbite - I got this spell to soften up things in the room before obliterating everything at melee with SD. If SD no longer deals damage, but just stuns, I don't need it anymore. I could keep it for Ice Patch, but if I wanted an SvA disabler, I could get Tremor and Antheron's Call.

Thunderclap - Why, if SD is the way it is, do I need to know this spell? Seems like duplicate functionality. In fact, this is worse than SD since I often hunt in groups and don't want to stun everyone with me. I'd much rather use SD.

Vertigo - Why, if SD is just a disabler now, do I need this duplicate SvS disabler?

Is there some way to wipe my spellbook entirely and rechoose my spells?

I don't want to reroll, or start over, but I chose these spells based on their previous functionality, and if they no longer function properly, I would like to replace them.

All of that said, if anyone can give an argument as to why I should want to keep these spells, I'm eager to listen.

I'm also very disapointed that I don't now have a spell I can cast repeatedly in melee to harm everything around me the way I used to use SD to farm easy critters for boxes.
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 11:36 AM CST
In Throne City there is an NPC that you can visit to forget a spell every 180 days with no cost- Provided that the spell isn't a prereq. Admittedly magic has undergone a huge number of changes, so you'll want to be very careful about this.

I'll let the elder mages field the rest of your questions.

Welcome back, and good luck!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 11:42 AM CST
>>Frostbite - I got this spell to soften up things in the room before obliterating everything at melee with SD. If SD no longer deals damage, but just stuns, I don't need it anymore. I could keep it for Ice Patch, but if I wanted an SvA disabler, I could get Tremor and Antheron's Call.

Can drop Fatigue to almost nothing. Still a really good spell. I wouldn't forgo IP either, I'm pretty sure it's being moved to TM and will still be able to break necks

>>Thunderclap - Why, if SD is the way it is, do I need to know this spell? Seems like duplicate functionality. In fact, this is worse than SD since I often hunt in groups and don't want to stun everyone with me. I'd much rather use SD.

Never really used TC but it doesn't require being at melee and having a non discharged ES up

>>Is there some way to wipe my spellbook entirely and rechoose my spells?

Not without spending a lot of money and TDPs. I guess you weren't gone long enough to have fallen under the Magic 2.0 change if you still have spells. You can wipe a slot free (no tdp or coin cost) in Throne every 6 months and no tdp charge every 3 months.

>>I'm also very disapointed that I don't now have a spell I can cast repeatedly in melee to harm everything around me the way I used to use SD to farm easy critters for boxes.

You're close to CL, that'll farm just as easy or easier than SD. You could probably kill faster with lash than SD anyway

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 01:30 PM CST
>>>>Frostbite - I got this spell to soften up things in the room before obliterating everything at melee with SD. If SD no longer deals damage, but just stuns, I don't need it anymore. I could keep it for Ice Patch, but if I wanted an SvA disabler, I could get Tremor and Antheron's Call.

>Can drop Fatigue to almost nothing.

I thought Frostbite's fatigue hit was capped at 50% a while ago.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 01:44 PM CST
>>I thought Frostbite's fatigue hit was capped at 50% a while ago.

Could be I haven't used it in awhile. Still dropping fat to 50 is nothing to scoff at

Cute verbs and speaking from hiding are excellent ways to catch a lightning bolt in the face regardless of mystical ninja abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 02:38 PM CST
If you do ANY PvP/CvC at all, or if you at least want to stand a good chance at it in case someone else starts trouble with you, you want TC. TC is one of only three War Mage spells that my Barbarian hates.

Vertigo is the second one.

Frostbite is the third one.

I won't go into the details here but if your character is possibly gonna fight anything other than critters (includes invasions with GMPCs) then you'll want to play with your spells more and learn how good they can be. Other guilds have abilities that can be completely useless against critters as well, but having so much to choose from helps provide a selection that will satisfy a variety of different players.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 02:57 PM CST
>SD - All this does is stun whats in melee with me now.

SD also does nerve damage, but you probably don't much care.

>I could keep it for Ice Patch, but if I wanted an SvA disabler, I could get Tremor and Antheron's Call.

A rewrite of Ice Patch is in QC, moving it to full-TM and removing its disable. Another spell in QC was slated to replace its disabling niche, which may have been Anther's Call.

>Thunderclap - Why, if SD is the way it is, do I need to know this spell? Seems like duplicate functionality.

Thunderclap is Will versus Will. I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but pointing that out.

>Is there some way to wipe my spellbook entirely and rechoose my spells?

No, but you Can forget one for free every hundred days or so. Precise details in Elanthipediea:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Spell_Library
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 03:03 PM CST
Sorry for the double post, but just for the sake of scholarship, here's Wythor's most recent post on Ice Patch's future:

>>I believe the last proposal was for Ice Patch to become a full TM spell with a pretty much assured knockdown effect on hit. Some of the restrictions on immune enemies like Swamp Trolls and 4 legged critters will be lifted. The damage was going to be mostly impact with maybe some cold thrown in? The immobilization effect will be removed.

>This, pretty much. Making Ice Patch a full TM spell was contingent on a replacement SvA debilitator (since we don't have a huge selection of those). Both spells are currently in QC, though Ice Patch is a bit closer to release.

>- GM Wythor (on 11/27/2008 4:09:21 PM)

found here:
https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=35&topic=11&message=8043
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 03:23 PM CST
On the topic of an SvA disabler, I'm playing with Antheron's Call, and I'm wondering exactly just what does "immobilized" mean aside from "target stops attacking"?

My paladin used to use halt to hit critters when backtraining weapons in hunting grounds that train his armor, but when I used it the other day... nada. Still couldn't hit for $#!^.

That said, should I bother training a ranged weapon? I'm partial to HT, but am uncertain.
Re: Spell Help 01/14/2009 05:20 PM CST
Frostbite takes people out of hiding, at least it did a few months ago. That ability is priceless, and can end dull pvp matches.
Re: Spell Help 01/15/2009 12:06 AM CST
>>A rewrite of Ice Patch is in QC, moving it to full-TM and removing its disable. Another spell in QC was slated to replace its disabling niche, which may have been Anther's Call.

Anther's Call is the 'replacement' disabler (though it occupies a slightly different niche), and the TM version of Ice Patch is live in Platinum -- I'm going to release it Thursday night in Prime along with the TM messaging updates.

- GM Wythor

What goes up
is futile --
unless it goes out
Re: Spell Help 01/15/2009 12:07 AM CST
WOO
Re: Spell Help 01/15/2009 12:09 AM CST
I'm canceling all my plans!!
Re: Spell Help 01/15/2009 04:47 AM CST
Just say no to Premie.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg

a black panther comes flying into view! it hits the ground, bouncing once before sliding to a stop.
A black panther is stunned!
Back from LONG abscence.. Spell Help Please ) 01/15/2009 03:28 PM CST
Hello all! I just came back to the realms, i have been gone since 2001... Its good to be back and looking forward to hopefully seeing some familiar faces if there are any left =) I logged in and came to find out that all my spells have been erased. It states that i need to go to the warrior mage guild to attain 20 new spells... I am Warrior Mage of the 48th Circle. My Primary Magic is 279, Harness 268, Target is 208, Power perceive 227...

I'm sure those are low numbers but i gotta work with what i got =) I see theres a bunch of new spells since i last played. So before i start learning spells at the guild... I wanted to get as much "advice" as i can get from my fellow mages as to which path i should take. I'm excited to start plucking spells but i will await your words of wisdom. Thanks so much!!

Sslisthor Rassk of the 48th Circle
Re: Back from LONG abscence.. Spell Help Please ) 01/15/2009 03:38 PM CST
What style play are you going for?

Any Roleplay desires?

How do you like to train magic?
Re: Back from LONG abscence.. Spell Help Please ) 01/15/2009 03:51 PM CST
I'd start here:

http://www.zairius.com/cgi-bin/circlecalc.cgi

That's a calculator to tell you what you need to circle. Circling requirements have changed and you may need to backtrain to level again.

This is an extremely good website all around for information on Elanthia:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

There's also the warrior mage spell on the DR site which should be current on spells:

https://www.play.net/dr/info/spells/spelllist.asp?guild=1
Re: Back from LONG abscence.. Spell Help Please ) 01/15/2009 03:59 PM CST
Welcome back!

You'll find that a lot of spells have been changed, eliminated, or merged. And yes, there are new ones out there- Including a new one called Anther's Call which is on preview.

Re: Back from LONG abscence.. Spell Help Please ) 01/15/2009 05:44 PM CST
welcome back!

be a paladin.

:oP Ragran
Prev_page Previous 1