Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/22/2010 09:35 PM CDT
Great, now we can't even get nerfs approved? (HA HA)

I'm kind of over getting "something else" as a WM. If my choice is 'nothing' vs. 'something else'... I'll take the nothing. The guild is in such desperate need of depth... it has one of the broadest toolsets in the game and seems to have paid for it in having the shallowest tools.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/22/2010 09:42 PM CDT
So to clarify, you are against getting a new type of magic with lore behind it because you want depth in the Warrior Mage guild?

-Z
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/22/2010 10:19 PM CDT
Well, there are only so many ways to go nuclear, so I can't imagine the Blackfire spell book would have much... diversity.

Losing a spell slot on sight and that's not all? Honestly, good riddance.

There is a ton of stuff out there for WMs that would add much more depth than Blackfire. The handful of things I saw today in Muspar'i alone suggests that either our currently array of spells is just barely scratching the surface of elemental potential, or WM lore is utterly piecemeal and lacking any sort of cohesion.

I choose to believe the former until proven otherwise.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/22/2010 10:23 PM CDT
So to clarify, you are against getting a new type of magic with lore behind it because you want depth in the
Warrior Mage guild?

Duh. I'm not the only longtime warmage player who isn't sure what the point of being a warmage is anymore. See the (relatively) recent thread about WM-related events.

Even if you could pull off yet another 'something else' which would surpass the shallow level of existing WM systems, the result would be thing that defined being a WM - by default. If you can't, we have another stalled-out system. Both of those outcomes are terrible.

If team magic has talked themselves into a corner with WM sorcery, team magic should give up on the idea and focus completely on mainline WM magic.

Give us a main course before you think up new side dishes.

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 12:14 AM CDT
>>Give us a main course before you think up new side dishes.

They already have a main course; a couple, in fact, though the appeal of the dishes has simply been lost in the various awesome changes to other guilds and system rewrites.

My experience with magic 3.0 is limited to heresy, but the general impression so far seems to be that magic 3.0 does a great job of once again establishing two tiers of attack magic:

1) Warrior Mages
2) Everyone else

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 12:58 AM CDT
ROBERTDH,

You've gone existential on us. Set down the Sartre and follow the bread crumbs home.

The point of being a WM right now is that we pretty much dominate the most in-depth system in the game--combat.

Developing a richer elemental magic system with funky sorcery and plenty of lore to explore does nothing to diminish our current status as combat rock-stars. It only adds to it.

Honestly, what's the point of blackfire? It won't do AoE better than CL and it won't do single target TM better than ALA. Best case scenario, you get a spell that recapitulates these effects plus some incredibly unpleasant side effects like dying or worse. Blackfire sorcery is a spellbook that, at most, has 3-4 spells in it. Unless I horribly misunderstand the thing, there's not much more to it than varying degrees of Certain Doom (tm).

I get where you're coming from. We got fifth-passaged (of Thief glory). We got promised a fat pot of gold at the end of a fiery black rainbow and now we're getting a bunch of backpedaling and ???s.

Effigies should be part of the woodworking system, if only so we can vent and then move on.

Avaya <--Not female.
(But supportive)
Gnome WM of TF
AIM: AvayaTF
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 01:28 AM CDT
not sure what i think about it..
on one hand we won't have 80%+of the guild wielding or wanting to have blackfire, on the other it seems to be reduced to novelty level outside of some gmpc wielding it.

seems the +5 route is our best bet..
i'd all be for blackfire does +5 damage and colors your fire spells black, just have the rp roll with it...
or removal from grimoire, not being allowed in guildhall for a bit as punishment
or maybe needing extra requirments to circle or a quest to allow circling(maybe an evilish wm npc)

maybe some day a we'll have a familiar alterer arrive on a spirit dragon and they'll teach us the secrets of blackfire and fix our broken spells..

Tekemi exclaims, "It's practically a smorgasbord out here!"
Tekemi says to Tokomi, "You're the prime rib, of course."
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 01:45 AM CDT
What's the point of blackfire? Historically, it's presence in our lore is huge. It's release, the events surrounding its release, and the management of those that choose to follow the "darker path" would all hopefully provide wonderful, much-needed roleplay opportunities for our guild.

The reason for not developing blackfire is apparantly tied to the scope of IC punishments.

Why, if players can be entrusted with the authority of the Inquisition and the provincial Courts, can they not be equally trusted with blackfire?

We can't have WMs being overpowered and having ridiculously strong, questionable, exponentially-effective offensive magic now.. can we?

-Meanne
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 02:01 AM CDT
This is definitely not in the league of being 5th-pasaged, and it's nothing new- I'm not objective at all, here, after 10 years of WM development cancellations I'm bitter. "This again?" is my most mature reaction and that's not very mature at all.

But... WM lore is utterly piecemeal and lacking any sort of cohesion, what there is having been created in the early days when cohesion wasn't a priority or something. The largest most, coherent chunk of it is Blackfire - so it has a lot of promise to flesh out surrounding aspects of the guild just because it touches almost the entirety of the existent lore. We're desperate for things that tie it together and expand on what's there - not extraneous new pieces.

I do think a War Mage is the best character to play the video game. But that's about as far as I can recommend it to anyone.

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 02:16 AM CDT
>>The reason for not developing blackfire is apparantly tied to the scope of IC punishments.

No, but you're in the neighborhood: it's tied to the scope of the game-mechanical disadvantage for having your own, permanent obliteration ray. This isn't a "RP" decision at all: it is a matter of we can no longer take the pound of flesh that giving you instant-kill spells requires.

So the choice is to either not give you Blackfire, or bastardize Blackfire so that it is no longer what it ever was in the fiction. I choose to preserve the depth of the Warrior Mage backstory, rather than hold it hostage for another +dmg mod for a guild that doesn't need it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 02:35 AM CDT
>>Why, if players can be entrusted with the authority of the Inquisition and the provincial Courts, can they not be equally trusted with blackfire?

The players that want Blackfire spells sit around outside of town pouting and using flashpoint on little stick figure skinny elf moon mages and mud temples they put together. That's why you can't get real Blackfire.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 02:50 AM CDT
>So the choice is to either not give you Blackfire, or bastardize Blackfire so that it is no longer what it ever was in the fiction. I choose to preserve the depth of the Warrior Mage backstory, rather than hold it hostage for another +dmg mod for a guild that doesn't need it.

This is especially true because a learnable Blackfire spell would be held to the same balancing standards as any other spell.

Take a look at Moon Mage sorcery spells for examples. They're not actually particularly more powerful. We'd like widely usable sorcery to explore stranger areas of more high wizardry instead of be 'awesomer death bolt'.

-Z
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 09:08 AM CDT
FWIW, I really wouldn't want a Sorcery system that only one or two hard-core Sorcery-enthusiast RPers would be willing to touch because the disadvantages are so harsh. That's what Wythor's original proposal sounded like. While it would have been nice if Blackfire, which is already in the lore, got expanded on, I'll feel more satisfied with something entirely new that more players (ie: me) can actually use.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 10:09 AM CDT
ok i guess my actual complaint...

so why'd we find this out from a post linking to the necro boards? and y'know not here?

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 11:28 AM CDT
>We'd like widely usable sorcery to explore stranger areas of more high wizardry instead of be 'awesomer death bolt'.

This sounds really neat to me. Hopefully with Magic 3.0 making tiers less important for TM spells, we can focus a little more on some other things like this. I can agree with the reasoning for not developing Blackfire. My only concern is that having scrapped that, where do we start on a new one? Is there a proposed sorcery system for us that we could get a brief glimpse at? If not, what kind of things might be available with elemental sorcery?

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 12:10 PM CDT
I'm also disappointed with this, even though i can see where the GMs are coming from. Make it up to us by selling incinerate scrolls at a store somewhere please.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 12:35 PM CDT
>>so why'd we find this out from a post linking to the necro boards? and y'know not here?

That's where the conversation was.

>>I'm also disappointed with this, even though i can see where the GMs are coming from. Make it up to us by selling incinerate scrolls at a store somewhere please.

Your statement contradicts itself. If you can see where we're coming from, you know that Incinerate isn't going to become any more available than it already is.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 01:13 PM CDT
I always thought familiars (or talismans, rather) represented the warrior mage's guild most promising line of potential development anyway.

Blackfire was going to be nothing more than yet another attack spell, which the guild is already over-endowed with. Almost anything else that elemental magic could potentially accomplish ... water walking, flying ... wouldn't be allowed because it might bypass the need for some sacred cow like a survival skill check.

Familiars (and other potential talisman related summons) are something of a wild card because they and their potential capabilities are largely undefined. This gives them lots of room for providing warrior mages with capabilities that wouldn't otherwise be possible for elemental magic users.

You suddenly feel nauseous, as if you'd been doing performance art.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 05:15 PM CDT
<<This isn't a "RP" decision at all: it is a matter of we can no longer take the pound of flesh that giving you instant-kill spells requires.

<<So the choice is to either not give you Blackfire, or bastardize Blackfire so that it is no longer what it ever was in the fiction

From what I remember, Incinerate is no longer an insta-kill spell as it is. I tested it out on the Test server quite a while back but I can't really clearly recall if this was before or after the downtweak to the spell.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 06:37 PM CDT
>>Make it up to us by selling incinerate scrolls at a store somewhere please.

Sure dood. But before you do this, please give Barbarians a roar which insta-kills Warrior Mages when they successfully pass a standard combat check. Then it's all square.

(Sarcasm, obviously. Blackfire, even in its current incarnation, is ridiculously, insanely over-powered. I'm not sure how you could realistically expect Blackfire scrolls to be available in-shop when you compare it to the power or versatility of standard store-bought stuff.)

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 06:53 PM CDT
At first I thought Mord was joking about selling those scrolls in a store but on second thought...

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/23/2010 07:23 PM CDT
Game was more fun with no skill checks, just sayin.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/24/2010 11:53 PM CDT
I actually spent quite a bit of time reading Lore (Magic Textbooks) a few months ago to better understand some of my "Why is this like this?" questions. I want to clear up some misconceptions.

Claim: There is a ton of lore for Blackfire.
Truth: The single largest section of text is is in "The History of the Warrior Mage Guild Volume I". This is 1/10th of the sections of the book. Outside of that there are a few lines mentioning Blackfire here and there but it is hardly a ton of lore. If I am missing an entire book or two, please let me know. I'm actually intellectually starved for the what, how and where of black fire, and would appreciate additional info.

Claim: Scrolls could be sold in stores.
Truth: I don't know a single instance of sorcery sold in shops. (But again, could be wrong)

Claim: "Blackfire is a +5 damage mod!" would be OK.
Truth: Blackfire eats everything. EVERYTHING. The target and the earth the target is on, both are consumed. I imagine there would have to be a release mechanism in the spell, least it eat its way to the world dragon and really piss it off. Incinerate is a horribly weakened version of what the little bit of lore that is there says should exist. My frequent jokes about a Blackfire Rain would be like a GM hitting delete in a room.
It is an Elemental-Holy spell. It is with in the realm of my imagination that it would eat spirit and favors too.

Now for a bit of poking fun at peoples over reactions (If you feel my jokes are too hard on you, and you are writing your reply with tears in your eyes, I'll meet you in Warrior Mage - Conflicts):

>>If my choice is 'nothing' vs. 'something else'... I'll take the nothing.
If that is your choice, when you get to choose new spells @ Magic 3.0, don't.

>>[I can't imagine the] Blackfire spell book would have much... diversity.
I can:
Tier 1 - Flashpoint
Tier 2 - Destroy Person
Tier 3 - Destroy everything at Melee
Tier 4 - Destroy room
Tier 5 - We didn't need Shard anyways

>>My experience with magic 3.0 is limited to heresy, but the general impression so far seems to be that magic 3.0 does a great job of once again establishing two tiers of attack magic:
>>1) Warrior Mages
>>2) Everyone else
Actually, I'm pretty sure Bards get the best attack magic, followed by traders.

>>>>so why'd we find this out from a post linking to the necro boards? and y'know not here?
>>That's where the conversation was.
I'd like to see changes like this proactively mentioned to us here. Perhaps the following could have been posted here when the decision was made:

Blackfire will not be permanently learnable with Magic 3.0. We have opted for an alternative book that will maximize usability, allow for greater lore expansion, and not destroy the world. Blackfire will still exist, in some form or another, but the focus of the magic team will be on alternative books that will provide the best over all player experience.

Blackfire IS a big deal to many war mages. It is the ultimate power that strikes down your enemies. You GMs even decided to keep it (mostly) out of our hands so that we could not sully its epicness. I'm cool with this decision, I don't even need another word of explanation. I'd just like you all to consider that people will need to cry about it for +20 posts regardless, and telling us up front in our folders would have been a great courtesy.
The only other thing I'm truly expecting (some time around "soon"), that I would appreciate if the current design team could tell us if it is off the table, is combat familiars.

Thank you all for your time, thought and efforts. I do believe that the GMs collectively care about all guilds equally and that you all want to make sure this game remains a fun and memorable experience.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 12:38 AM CDT
Blackfire is a pretty large chunk of lore only because... there is not much Warmage lore. It's also the backstory of the Zaulfung lore and the blackfire cabal is a minor villain in dwarven history. The surrounding lore also includes the Four, who appear in a few places.

Blackfire also does not consume inert ground - though it does horribly blacken and scar it.

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 12:47 AM CDT
Combat familiars in the sense of, "Go for the eyes, Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!"? My opinion is that while there's certainly enough room to have some fun with some low-grade combat fam attacks, I do not see it becoming a substantial Thing, unless we radically redesign Warrior Mage abilities around producing a major part of their damage by proxy.

I am going to regret the thread this will cause, but I'll try the whole honesty thing: Warrior Mages do not need to be doing more damage; Warrior Mages need to be doing less damage, but have a greater stake in things that are not doing damage. I've let this stew for years now: are we finally ready to move Warrior Mages beyond "blow stuff up" as its one and only focus?

-Armifer
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 01:11 AM CDT
i never know which direction they wanna go with our guild...

"Go for the eyes, Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!" death hamster go! you point and it runs down your arm launching off your finger... death hamster hinders Bob's vision. Though the image of flying thing clawing at something's face is fun too.
or fat cat lies down behind person to trip help with SHOVE?

I'd love to move beyond 'blow stuff up' but that seems to be what we're good at, and it's in the lore too, unless there's a relevant way to save the crops, purify water(remember that?), or lodestone whatever... though i could see some hapless mage being used to power some kind of arcane death machine.

I guess a lore boosting spell would be more relevant after newLore.

I just assume everything that was written in the history books is lies or only parts of the truth.

and about Blackfire, I think better questions about it are: why is it mixed with Holy magic? what's that do? does all holy and elemental make blackfire? and what exactly is holy magic, much less holy sorcery? Does this really p.o. the gods? If they were close to making blackfire could this be why they were Outcast 5000 years ago? and it's probably stuff so arcane and esoteric we'll never know. Until then I was disappointed by my last encounter with incinerate and still think moa, ala, or maybe even lb would've been better spell choice. It's flashy though.

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 01:32 AM CDT
>>I'd love to move beyond 'blow stuff up' but that seems to be what we're good at, and it's in the lore too, unless there's a relevant way to save the crops, purify water(remember that?), or lodestone whatever...

This the problem. Warrior Mages have been locked, by design and intent, into "the people that do a lot of damage." In a strange way, the Warrior Mages are on the meta level a Barbarian Guild that remained honest.

I have never been willing or able to allow growth beyond the niche while retaining the depth of the niche, and that is the flaw. Warrior Mages will not be saved by simply piling on more stuff, but by an Empath Guild level redefinition of what it means to play a Warrior Mage.

Or we keep the status quo, and Warrior Mage development will remain locked in the prison of its own design.

-Armifer
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 02:13 AM CDT
Depth of that damage niche? I think you have come dangerously unhinged.

Maybe newcombat will restore depth to damage, but right now it doesn't have any. WM damage is just pointlessly excessive and redundant. Damage is a sheet of paper with three equations scribbled on it.

There used to be a lot of dimension to WM damage, but with the attrition of defense contests down to less than a handful of models, area effects down to less than a handful of near-clones, significant secondary combat stats down to just body part health...

Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 02:24 AM CDT
>>Depth of that damage niche? I think you have come dangerously unhinged.

You need to take a step back and come to a decision very quickly on how much you wish to be a part of this conversation.

Insult aside, my use of the term depth of the damage niche refers to the size of the number.

-Armifer
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 06:57 AM CDT
I could use more buffs and disablers if that's what you're saying.

Anytime someone's made an argument for flying fams or walking on frozen water because WM's need utility too i've countered by saying that most of us chose this guild to be good at combat not utility.

I could be wrong, but unless you're just really into WM lore i see no reason why you'd want to join the guild but want to have these things that are readily available to you in another guild.

I'm all for more ways to blow stuff up too, as long as it's not all the same cookie cutter formula with different damage messaging.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 07:04 AM CDT
>>Truth: I don't know a single instance of sorcery sold in shops. (But again, could be wrong)

Yeah, I know that they're not going to sell incinerate in stores. It was so ridiculous of a suggestion that i figured people wouldn't take it seriously.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 07:30 AM CDT
First off thanks for taking the time to talk to us about this. I know you understand the frustration that alot of the posters here are expressing, but I also know its not fun to be the target of said frustration.

>> I have never been willing or able to allow growth beyond the niche while retaining the depth of the niche, and that is the flaw. Warrior Mages will not be saved by simply piling on more stuff, but by an Empath Guild level redefinition of what it means to play a Warrior Mage.

I had a long post here explaining why we are upset about the news being brought to us in this thread, but I don't think it is necessary. So moving on from that, if we were to go towards the Empath Guild level of redefinition is there any proposals on the table and progress towards it, or is this a brand new project starting at day one once its officially approved?

If there is any ground work done, lore or otherwise that you can share with us i'd appreciate it.

- Player of Callahaan Val'kesh
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 09:23 AM CDT
<<Warrior Mages do not need to be doing more damage; Warrior Mages need to be doing less damage, but have a greater stake in things that are not doing damage. I've let this stew for years now: are we finally ready to move Warrior Mages beyond "blow stuff up" as its one and only focus?

I've been saying this for years (sans the less damage part). The single mindedness of the guild is the primary reason I play a moon mage these days. It's liberating not to have to live in a hunting ground to advance.

The problem is that elemental magic seems to be limited in non-combat possibilities because so many desirable alternative uses would involve activities that are already covered by other systems and checks against non-magic skills. The guild seems to have collectively set off a giant mime trap ... it is trapped in an invisible box.

You suddenly feel nauseous, as if you'd been doing performance art.
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 09:25 AM CDT
New combat should open up a ton of doors for new abilities. I believe Dart is still working on it though I haven't heard from him in a couple decades.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 09:33 AM CDT
>>This the problem. Warrior Mages have been locked, by design and intent, into "the people that do a lot of damage." In a strange way, the Warrior Mages are on the meta level a Barbarian Guild that remained honest.
>>I have never been willing or able to allow growth beyond the niche while retaining the depth of the niche, and that is the flaw. Warrior Mages will not be saved by simply piling on more stuff, but by an Empath Guild level redefinition of what it means to play a Warrior Mage.

I dont see why this niche needs to be what you're asserting it is really. Warmages in general are not asking for more ultra nuke spells, we're asking for more combat efficiency and utility. Things like buffs, solid disablers, and even the OMG taboo topic of a perception boost all make perfect sense for a class whose sole purpose is fighting and killing things. Fighting and killing things even as a design model, would certainly allow for more leeway in variety, such as spells and abilities to help make you better able to fight and kill things.

Not to mention we dont by any means hold the title of top damage dealers, I dont think anyone could say that we do with a straight face.

I dont really care so much about the blackfire system myself, but hearing you flat out shoot down combat familiars out of the blue is pretty depressing, especially considering how long theyve been promised and planned, less than a year ago we were told new fams were waiting on the risen system for just that purpose.

It's just pretty weak to hear all this after all the nerfs of the last year or so, we've seen pretty much all of our more useful spells nerfed hard, and more on the way by all accounts.

Eladrin
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 10:25 AM CDT
>Not to mention we dont by any means hold the title of top damage dealers, I dont think anyone could say that we do with a straight face.

Uh... who does then?
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 10:38 AM CDT
>>Uh... who does then?

CLERICS! (as long as you're talking about undead)
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 11:02 AM CDT
>Not to mention we dont by any means hold the title of top damage dealers, I dont think anyone could say that we do with a straight face.

>Uh... who does then?

Well, i hesitate to really go into to it to be honest, because its GvG and those threads always get shut down, but by the same token stating the WMs are the top damage dealers is an inherently GvG statement, so maybe they'll let it slide a little if it doesnt get outta hand.

I'd say without a doubt that barbarians, moon mages, clerics, and rangers can certainly produce damage at equal levels with a warmage.

Theives are the undisputed kings of damage output though, in my opinion, i'd be shocked if anyone could even try to argue it. You show me a character/critter you can barely take down with 700's TM and the full warmage arsenal, ill show you a thief with 350 ranks of longbow that can 1 shot it through 800s defenses (this is not a random assertion btw, can be easily tested and reproduced).

Eladrin
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 11:12 AM CDT
That sounds off, but I don't claim to be an expert. Details?

Tishra says, "We had a tie, get over it."

The hammer lands an overwhelming strike that knocks the larynx clear back to the vertebrae (So much for last words!).
* Tishra is slain before your eyes!
Re: Can't lose what you never had 03/25/2010 11:21 AM CDT
>Details?

There are no details to be talked about, as there can't be details to be talked about as these alleged events he mentioned simply do not exist and cannot be reproduced. Any attempt at showing logs is an obvious attempt of forgery and is just trying to take the heat off of the real focus here. And that focus is nerfing Warmages, as it has been a long time coming and Armifer makes very valid points and we should all support him to the fullest.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5