Caravan Route Update 06/19/2019 08:54 PM CDT
Hi everyone!

It took a small fortune on focus groups and analyst reports, but we finally convinced caravan leaders to memorize additional routes, and expand their current routes. Now, you will find that caravans will go from outpost to outpost, and provide some additional information regarding what destinations they know!

What does this mean?

We have added all Zoluren, Shard, and Hib Outpost destinations to the Caravan routes. You should be able to have a caravan LEAD you between any two outpost destinations in the same province. Some known quirks are as follows:
1 ) When south of the Segoltha but north of the Gondola, that you have to stop at Leth Deriel on your way south/north.
2 ) The Ain Ghazal lead point will take you to the ferry.

You can also type TELL CARAVAN TO HELP for a list of all possible destinations. Additionally, a few existing routes were chained together, so now you can, for example, TELL CARAVAN TO LEAD TO RIVERHAVEN from Crossing, and be lead to the ferry, and vice versa. You still need to be on a proper route for the drivers to recognize their surroundings! This is in DR:Test only, so please poke at things and let us know if you run into any issues. If everything seems in order, we will look at pushing this out to Prime and Plat in about a week, with TF to follow afterwards.

To repeat, this is currently ONLY IN TEST, please poke at it to see if anything breaks, and please let us know if you notice anything odd!

Huge thanks to GM Zadraes for doing the heavy lifting on this one! Happy contract running!
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/19/2019 09:15 PM CDT
Woo-hoo! I'm running a virus scan right now: I ran into a few connectivity issues earlier today. But I'll make sure to check it out!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Caravan Route Update 06/20/2019 11:00 AM CDT

Interesting. While you're at it, can you copy/paste some commodity pits into the haven and/or shard outposts?
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/21/2019 01:21 PM CDT
There are no current plans to add additional commodity pits, though without making any promises, I can say that we have been talking about additional avenues for training Trading. If people are using commodity pits and there is a desire adding them to Riverhaven or Shard areas, we can look into it, but they are older systems and there may be additional complications I am not aware of.

Understand that other than the fact that commodities are carried by caravans, the route expansion did not touch the commodity system. What we are most interested here is whether the pathfinding is working as intended!
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/21/2019 01:26 PM CDT

I use commodities as a way to move training. It's costly, so if there were better options then I would happily abandon this older system.
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/21/2019 02:39 PM CDT
>>If people are using commodity pits and there is a desire adding them to Riverhaven or Shard areas, we can look into it, but they are older systems and there may be additional complications I am not aware of.<<

Again, another self-fulfilling prophecy. No one's doing it, because it hasn't been improved, therefore, since no one is doing it, we aren't going to improve it. Seems this is how DR logic works sometimes.

Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other. Eric Burdon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/evil
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/21/2019 05:37 PM CDT
Personally, I'd love to see improvements to the commodity system. Socharis (RIP) had big plans here once upon a time, which were incredibly exciting. That said, I would probably need more than just copy/pastes, myself, but perhaps others would use it.

Socharis's plans: http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Traders/General%20Discussions%20--%20Traders/thread/1398487

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/21/2019 11:19 PM CDT

> Personally, I'd love to see improvements to the commodity system. Socharis (RIP) had big plans here once upon a time, which were incredibly exciting. That said, I would probably need more than just copy/pastes, myself, but perhaps others would use it.

Ehh.... I guess. It would be interesting, but doing it right would be incredibly difficult from the mathematics / design / how could players break this perspective. Likely more difficult than the actual coding, which would be saying something. I think it would be interesting, but I would worry it would fail disastrously and the commodities would just be shut off since no one would have the time to fix it.
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/22/2019 07:20 AM CDT
There were indeed big plans for the commodity pits. Unfortunately, they were never implemented. I do have an idea, but I'll post about it in the trader forums since it's more suited to that.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Caravan Route Update 06/23/2019 03:37 AM CDT
Some posts were moved here from Discussions with DragonRealms Staff and Players / Responses to GM/Official Announcements.

GM Cordulia
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/23/2019 11:07 AM CDT

Expansion to commodity pits/trading may be a worthwhile conversation to have, and I personally find the topic interesting from both an economics simulation stand point as well as a game design stand point.

For the purposes of focusing on this release, however, we would appreciate any feedback specific to the route expansion that is in test. There are a lot of rooms linking these new destinations, and we want to make sure we did not miss anything.
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/23/2019 11:34 PM CDT
When I tried leading a caravan from the Leth guild to Crossing it didn't move and I got the message 'you have reached your destination', I had to lead the Caravan out of the NW gate before it would follow the route.

Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other. Eric Burdon
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/evil
Re: Caravan Route Update 06/24/2019 07:01 AM CDT
Hmm- when I tested the Zoluren routes, I didn't get a contract from Leth to Crossing- though I did get a few leading through it. It sounds a bit like a bug that for a while infested the Stone Clan outpost, where the caravan driver would get lost upon stopping there.

Re: Caravan Route Update 06/24/2019 08:47 AM CDT

>When I tried leading a caravan from the Leth guild to Crossing it didn't move and I got the message 'you have reached your destination', I had to lead the Caravan out of the NW gate before it would follow the route.

This should be fixed.
Re: Caravan Route Update 07/01/2019 07:45 PM CDT

This is now live in Prime and Plat.
Re: Caravan Route Update 07/05/2019 07:32 PM CDT
seems i found a bug. When in or around dirge and you tell the caravan to head to tiger clan it heads to and stops at dirge. i tried this from a few rooms away as well and it directs the caravan to dirge. once i was back on the NTR though it worked correctly

[Dirge, Gateway Road]
You stand next to the ruins of the Town gate. Little traffic disturbs the thick coat of grey dust that seems to be everywhere. The town is tucked here between the cold peaks of the volcanoes and the outer wall of dull black stone. To one side, a building still shows evidence of habitation and a sign painted with a large keg indicates that perhaps a drink or two may be had even in this desolation.
You also see a sturdy caravan with several things on it and the Inn's dingy stables with a dilapidated sign on it.
Obvious paths: north.
> tell cara to lead to tiger clan
The driver of your sturdy caravan acknowledges the order to lead to Tiger Clan.
You pass on the order to lead to your driver, who makes sure your sturdy caravan does your bidding.

>
The sturdy caravan stops and waits, having arrived at its destination.
Re: Caravan Route Update 07/05/2019 09:55 PM CDT
That's odd. I'll see if I can get a contract from Dirge to Tiger Clan. Everything else in Zoluren seems to be working as it should. Granted, this is from Plat so your mileage may vary.

Re: Caravan Route Update 07/12/2019 06:42 PM CDT

Hm...makes me want to dust off the caravan and try outpost trading again.
Re: Caravan Route Update 07/12/2019 07:05 PM CDT
You might still prefer crafting or shops, but at least caravan trading is much easier than it was!

Player of...