Prev_page Previous 1
Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 03:09 AM CDT
Hey guys -

Wanted to give you a heads up as to where the commodities and contracts rewrite is going. I'll give the basics of my speech from Simucon, and supplement it with information and respond to questions.

Basically, right now, Contracts are the guild saying "Take A from location X to location Y." A could be gem pouches, diamonds, whatever. However, upon completion of this contract, the goods you transferred go to the Void of Game Mechanics - You could ship 200 crates of diamonds from Arthe to Crossing and nothing would change.

Similarly, Commodities are a bunch of commodity pits with a weird system that is generally accepted to be both broken and scary. In this, there is a limited supply of certain items, and events cause the price to vary, allowing a psuedo stock-market kind of feel to it.

The new Commods/Contracts system (which we can call the Trading system for now) combines these two notions. The basic tenets are as follows:

* A Good is anything bought or sold in bulk. Raw materials, pallets of wood, flats of donuts, whatever.
* A Trading Post is some location that buys or sells at least one Good in bulk. This could be the commodity pits selling tons of different raw goods, it could be a mining outpost that only sells carts of iron ore, or it could be a blacksmith shop that sells bundles of longswords. All of these are, for discussion's sake, a Trading Post.
* A TP will have an 'optimal stock' of each Good it buys or sells. If the current stock is higher than optimal, it will cost less to buy (if they sell it to you) and the post will pay less (if they buy it from you).
* A TP has a maximum stock (usually around double the optimum) where it will no longer buy any more of a Good.
* Random events can (and will!) cause the optimum stock or price of a Good in a TP to change temporarily. These events could be 'Rabbits ate all of the lettuce' or 'There's a party for a minor noble, we need more tarts' or 'The town guard is hiring a new batch of recruits, and has bought all of our longswords.'
* The rumor system will be able to tell a trader about any random events that are occurring at trading posts in the current province.
* Warehouses will be much more prevalent and you'll be able to store more in them than before.

So that's how the new macro-economy will fare. Now, this is all well and good for commodities and people that want to run around doing a ton of research, but what if you're a new trader and you don't know everything yet, or if you don't want to do research and just want a profitable run? This is where the Contracts come in.

Contracts are done through the Guild, and instead of picking up your goods at the Guild, you will ask a clerk for a contract, and he will tell you about a run between two existing trading posts that is currently profitable. After you've sold the goods, the Guild will take a 40% cut of the net profits you earn. If you've managed to lose money on the deal, the Guild will still pay you a small (much smaller) stipend for your work. This is called 'underwriting a contract' - The contract is guaranteed to earn you a little money, and you don't have to do any thinking.

Now, as for timelines, this is in progress but major work on it is waiting until after Skills 3, Magic 3, and Combat 3 give me a break. As noted at Simucon, X3 will be starting testing by the end of August, so this isn't one of those 'Forever Projects'. However, I do ask that you grant me patience in light of the fact that there is a major project sitting in front of this one. This will happen, but it will take time and care.

Let the questions commence :).

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 06:06 AM CDT
<<Let the questions commence :).

How soon is soon? Because this sounds way more tolerable than shuffling around contract trading.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 06:08 AM CDT
Me like.

So, year'ish? (Don't have to answer that)

Sounds more like commodities are being expanded and taking over the contract system. Which I like, because some of the contracts shipped are just WIERD.

>Rumor/event affecting price/stock

About how long will an "event" last? If I'm in Crossing and hear of a rumor of the Dirge guardhouse paying a premium for new swords, and it takes me 3 minutes to get to a supplier of swords in Knife Clan and 10 minutes to haul to Dirge, will the "event" be over?

>new Contract mechanics

So basically a contract is the system holding your hand for a cut of the profit, and/or a cut of losses. Is there going to be a time limit on this "contract"? Because if the price fluctuates, depending on how long you hold onto the commodity, you would affect your profit/loss.

Naniaki
Very excited to see this

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 09:22 AM CDT
>>About how long will an "event" last?

The way I'm understanding it, events are instantaneous happenings with a lasting effect. If the event is "rabbits ate all our lettuce," then the stock of lettuce at that Trading Post is down until it gets replaced - which may only happen through player deliveries. While there may be gradual normalizing of stock in locations behind the scenes to simulate non-player trading, I doubt it would be anything that happens dramatically quick. Your biggest competition in profiting from the "event" would be your fellow Traders who may have heard the same rumor.

>>Is there going to be a time limit on this "contract"? Because if the price fluctuates,

Probably. The model seems to be that the Posts in general want to deal with the Traders who wander through, but if one hasn't come through recently or ones that have come have not bought or sold what the Post needs, they submit an order to the Guild directly. The Guild matches Posts with similar needs and contracts them out to Traders who request it. Since this is a specific delivery and not just personal speculating on a commodity, Time is Money, so there'd be a deadline. Player trading around you may further affect the price, which is why the Guild is underwriting you to protect from a loss.

This was a fun discussion at the Con. I look forward to its implementation.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 09:38 AM CDT
Since it sounds like Traders might be encouraged to store commodities more often, would some degrade over time?

On one hand, it would be awesome to store up on donuts until the great donut famine of 412. On the other hand, donuts eventually go stale.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 10:05 AM CDT
<<Since it sounds like Traders might be encouraged to store commodities more often, would some degrade over time?

Totally cornering the market on gold. Gold never degrades.

Other Traders, you've been warned!
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 12:46 PM CDT
>>would some degrade over time?

Oh yeah, that was mentioned at the Con too... I don't know if he just meant perishable goods (seems more likely to me, though), but he did say that after so much time the value would go down by 10% of its current value (or perhaps quantity?) to represent spoilage/decay over time. Not sure if non-perishable commodities would be subject to the same thing, but it would be interesting.

On the flip side of that, since others than just Traders use the rumor system I could see folks using a false "event" to trigger market panics as Traders rush to fill demands that aren't really there. This could get interesting.

- Stormsinger Shavay

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/17/2011 03:48 PM CDT
>>How soon is soon? Because this sounds way more tolerable than shuffling around contract trading.

I'm not confident enough to give a timeframe. I won't even start putting the heavy work into it until after X3 comes out, so not for a while yet.

>>Sounds more like commodities are being expanded and taking over the contract system. Which I like, because some of the contracts shipped are just WIERD.

That's basically correct.

>>About how long will an "event" last? If I'm in Crossing and hear of a rumor of the Dirge guardhouse paying a premium for new swords, and it takes me 3 minutes to get to a supplier of swords in Knife Clan and 10 minutes to haul to Dirge, will the "event" be over?

Events will last a number of hours, so while you WILL be able to get an event in its final few minutes it will likely not be the common case.

>>So basically a contract is the system holding your hand for a cut of the profit, and/or a cut of losses. Is there going to be a time limit on this "contract"? Because if the price fluctuates, depending on how long you hold onto the commodity, you would affect your profit/loss.

There will - the Guild will only guarantee a contract for a certain number of hours (probably one IG day but that's just a top-of-the-head guess). After a certain point you'll lose your safety net from the contract.

>>would some degrade over time?

Yep. Decayable Goods will have a 'decay delay', which is their effective shelf life. After that, it will have a 'decay rate', which is a rate at which the Good decays by X%. After it's at 25% of its original value, it's considered entirely decayed.

I have no plans to introduce super long-term decays, like wood rotting or beer skunking, but it's technically possible I.

New Info

One thing I forgot to mention is automatic population/depopulation of goods.

* Trading posts can produce or consume Goods at an automatic rate.
* Some Goods will require other Goods for production - For instance, one crate of iron bars might require 3 carts of iron ore in order for the bars to be produced (which would consume the iron ore).
* In this way, production chains can be established. Perhaps there's a specific mine that has Elven Silver Ore, and there's a post somewhere across Elanthia that processes Elven Silver Ore into Elven Silver Bars, which when taken to a particular jeweler will produce spools of Elven Silver Wire, which in turn is used by an armory in Leth to produce Elven Silver Chainmail or something. The trader that discovers and capitalizes on these chains can make a very significant profit.

Keep the questions coming :)

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/18/2011 07:08 PM CDT
Will there be interprovience goods, such as good XYZ can only be bought in Crossing and sold in Shard? Are the islands going to be included? Is there going to be any tie-ins with the crafting systems?
How is experience going to work, just based on prices sold at or will distance be a factor?

Abison
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 12:05 AM CDT
Will there be interprovience goods, such as good XYZ can only be bought in Crossing and sold in Shard?

There will be some things that are bought or sold exclusively at a specific TP, but those lines may not be province-specific.

The entire game will be getting TPs - The Islands, P5, etc.

As for tie-ins with crafting, that's kind of a 'stage 2' project. I want to get everything working properly before I start really working on tying it into the crafting system. I have some ideas there, and I DO want it to happen, but it's too far down the road to know exactly how it will turn out.

Experience will not rely on distance, but instead will rely on the amount of profit you earn on a unit of goods. For instance, if you buy something at 500 and sell it at 500, you'll get a very marginal (or possibly trivial) amount of experience. If you buy it at 500 and sell it for 1500, you'll get a much more substantial amount of experience. I don't have exact numbers balanced out yet but you'll be rewarded in money and experience for finding good deals.

Distance won't be an explicit factor, but it will be the case that the best profit will, barring some extreme events, have you traveling a decent distance.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 06:26 AM CDT
So logically speaking, Boar Clan to Mer'Kresh won't necessarily pay the most, but it might? Is this a simple multiplier for distance?
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 06:10 PM CDT
Any chance the commodity pits will give you something like vouchers for your goods, instead of loading them immediately? That way a patient Trader could buy vouchers for non-perishable property when it's surplus, then sell the vouchers somewhere else when there's a shortage?

I always felt that the commodity system should mirror the real life system, and dragging around a cart with goods on it would be mostly for lower level Traders. Getting paid to take goods to where someone claimed their merchandise. Older Traders wouldn't do the heavy lifting, they'd do the patient and more profitable commodity trading on paper.

This could easily tie into the mining/deeding system, if you used deeds as what you get when you purchase commodities. Just a few thoughts/opinions.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 06:33 PM CDT
>>So logically speaking, Boar Clan to Mer'Kresh won't necessarily pay the most, but it might? Is this a simple multiplier for distance?

Correct. You could turn a very narrow profit or even a loss if you buy the wrong good for the trip. For instance, if you buy bales of hay at 2 silver apiece in Crossing and go to Kresh, where they're buying them for 1.5 silver apiece, then you're selling at a loss and you made a bad call when deciding to make that run. You should have known that there's a farmer on the other side of Kresh that sells bales of hay for 1.4 silver apiece, which drove the price down.

Note: This is just an example that has literally no bearing on what will be implemented. I just saw some dude drive by in a truck with bales of hay, which inspired me. It doesn't take much.

As the system gets used and explored, you'll be able to find more routes. It's almost certain that there will be an almanac per 'zone' that will tell historical information about the zone. It may be magical so you can have up-to-yesterday information wherever you go so you don't have to constantly get an updated one. We'll see.

Somebody ask me what Zones are and we can talk about that in a bit, if you're interested :-D.

Also ask me about illegal goods.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 06:36 PM CDT
>>Also ask me about illegal goods.

But what about illegal goods?!
Malkien
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 06:43 PM CDT
>>Any chance the commodity pits will give you something like vouchers for your goods, instead of loading them immediately? That way a patient Trader could buy vouchers for non-perishable property when it's surplus, then sell the vouchers somewhere else when there's a shortage?

Probably not - That basically eliminates travel time between pits. Warehouses will allow the patient trader to acquire a large number of units of a Good for later sale, perishable or no. There will be many more warehouses with a much different approach to storage, so an educated and patient trader will be able to take advantage of a glut or famine.

>>Older Traders wouldn't do the heavy lifting, they'd do the patient and more profitable commodity trading on paper.

That makes sense in a simulation sense but the problem is that if you combine that with moongates you're opening the doors to massive market manipulation. I'd be amenable to automatic deliveries to the nearest warehouse that take X minutes of in-game time, but storage caps will prevent you from being able to totally crash the market if you have a ridiculous amount of plat (which many people do).

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 06:57 PM CDT
>>But what about illegal goods?!

I'm glad you asked!

Illegal goods are, well, illegal. This will likely be a post-initial-release thing, but I plan to implement a system that allows restriction of goods in certain justice areas (Crossing, Clans, etc). For instance, let's say that Rissan Cigars are illegal in Zoluren. If you take a caravan that has Rissan Cigars on it through any place in P1 that has guards, they may search your caravan and find your illegal goods. There will be a new crime associated with this, etc.

Now, the flip side is, despite (or even because of) the illegality of these cigars, people will pay drastically more for illegal goods. There might be a shady merchant that travels around P1 and is willing to buy up to 4 crates of Rissan Cigars at an exorbitant price. However, you'll need to somehow GET your cigars to him, which will put you at risk, etc.

A trader will be able to OBSCURE [ILLEGAL GOOD] WITH [OTHER GOOD]. This will perform a skill check against the illegal good, augmented by the value of the other good. The result of that skill check will somehow factor into the guards trying to search your caravan. The more expensive the good you use to obscure your smuggled cargo with, the higher your chance is to slip past the guard.

There may be player interaction as well - They may be able to search your caravan and be able to accuse you of smuggling if they are successful in finding goods that are illegal in your current justice area. Just an idea but I kind of like it.

In doing this, you sacrifice the other good entirely. The work you're doing to obscure your illegal good costs you the value of one unit of your other good, so you have to make the value estimation there.

I'm also mulling the notion of making guards a little more unique and giving some of them a predilection toward searching caravans, but I'm not sure that's worth it. Maybe? Also, thieves might be able to help you obscure your goods, with your permission.

This is totally just an idea, but we could use this system to allow people to, say, smuggle goods to some enemy camp through some checkpoint. Some really cool mini-quest or task ideas come out of this :).

Just to be clear, this is an idea for something that I want to do AFTER the system has stabilized and I've managed to balance things. But, this is the way that a smuggling system could go.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 07:10 PM CDT
>I'd be amenable to automatic deliveries to the nearest warehouse that take X minutes of in-game time, but storage caps will prevent you from being able to totally crash the market if you have a ridiculous amount of plat (which many people do).

That sounds pretty awesome. Would it be possible to get delivery from a warehouse that also takes in-game time? I would imagine available storage would be increased when a deliver arives at the TP, and would be decreased as soon as goods are sent towards the warehouse. This would allow Traders to play the paper game, but still limit their ability to crash the market.

Mostly, I'd love to see the guild get away from the monotony of waiting on their caravan (or being dragged around by it). Certainly their ability to make money should be limited by travel time, but they don't need to travel with the caravan for that to be a limiting factor.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 09:16 PM CDT
>>I'm glad you asked!

So am I!

That sounds really cool!

Too bad I'm not a Trader!
Malkien
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 09:55 PM CDT
<<Also, thieves might be able to help you obscure your goods, with your permission.

Could this be expanded to anyone proficient in Thievery and Stealth?
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 10:15 PM CDT
>>Illegal goods are, well, illegal. This will likely be a post-initial-release thing, but I plan to implement a system that allows restriction of goods in certain justice areas (Crossing, Clans, etc). For instance, let's say that Rissan Cigars are illegal in Zoluren. If you take a caravan that has Rissan Cigars on it through any place in P1 that has guards, they may search your caravan and find your illegal goods. There will be a new crime associated with this, etc.

1) Sounds awesome.

2) I'd find it amusing if players could ACCUSE X OF SMUGGLING similar to how players can accuse others of necromancy.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 11:02 PM CDT
>>But what about illegal goods?!
I'm glad you asked!

THAT SOUNDS TOTALLY AWESOME! :-)

i'm liking what i see

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 11:10 PM CDT
>>Would it be possible to get delivery from a warehouse that also takes in-game time?

Possible. The issues end up being largely technical. I'll think on it.

>>Could this be expanded to anyone proficient in Thievery and Stealth?

I don't see why not.

>>I'd find it amusing if players could ACCUSE X OF SMUGGLING similar to how players can accuse others of necromancy.

Yeah, though I'm not sure if I'd use the same mechanics. It gets messy and traders don't need to get more grief from people that want to cause trouble.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 11:13 PM CDT
Everything sounds awesome so far, can't wait to see it in action whenever that ends up being. I think my only main request would be to set things up in such a way that it's possible to say to yourself "oh hey my trading is at clear, I should go mindlock it", and then go run over to where your caravan is, do some quick trading until mindlocked and then have your caravan stabled and get back to what you were doing before, in 30 minutes or less. I don't feel that this is an unreasonable request, seeing as how it is true for basically every other skill in the game.

I think a good way to do this would be for contracts to always be between short distances (per province is way too large), and teach trading very well but give much less money than a successful commods run (which sounds like this part is already part of the plan). This would give players a choice between either training the skill quickly and effectively but making very little money (similar to every other skill in the game), or taking the more interesting and lucrative route of commodities whenever they have enough time to RL sink into a long trading run.

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 11:18 PM CDT
So what are these Zones I'm hearing about?

- Stormsinger Shavay

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 11:55 PM CDT
>>Contracts to always be between short distances (per province is way too large), and teach trading very well but give much less money than a successful commods run

This is more or less where I was probably going to go with it. However, I'd like it to be kind of an inverse bell curve for experience gain, and exponential for profit.

For instance, a contract may teach very well but will provide little income. Fumbling at doing a route will get you relatively little experience and middling profits. However, finding an excellent route (which would be unlikely to be available by contract) would provide you with excellent experience and excellent profits, with potentially a similar time investment to running contracts for half an hour, after taking other incentives into account. Consider it something along the lines of "I'm going to go over to Forfedhdar for a week or so to sell them some necessities, so I'll load my caravan with ironwood since I know they pay well for it." That'd give you a free mind lock or few while you're over there, as well as a hefty profit.

Does that feel like a good balance?

>>So what are these Zones I'm hearing about?

So glad you asked.

Zones are essentially factions. For instance, Crossing will likely be mostly owned by the same faction. The Clans, or at least the Zoluren Clans, may also be all part of a faction put together by an enterprising trader. I may just call them Trading Factions or Enterprises or something like that. I dunno yet.

As you make good trades with a faction, you'll gain reputation with them. Your reputation will decay over time, similar to crafting prestige, and there will be public leaderboards to that effect. Reputation will have passive effects (For instance, Crossing guards may be more likely to look the other way if you're smuggling something illegal). It will also be a currency that you can spend on things - This might be for a fast delivery between a TP and your warehouse, or maybe open a party hall in your honor, or maybe a reduction of your shop rent, or something like that. The notion being, the more active you are within a zone, the better you'll be treated by your Guild within that zone. Titles could be there too.

Zones aren't entirely geographical - While there will be SOME zones that are very region-specific (Crossing, Riverhaven, you get the picture), not all TPs in the region are a member of that zone. For instance, there could be a faction of smugglers that you gain reputation with by smuggling goods across provincial boundaries. Perhaps there's a particular group of Elves that has TPs all across Elanthia but has declined to join any specific faction, instead incorporating on their own.

Reputation will be handed out less frequently than experience or money - In order to earn reputation with a faction, you need to be doing them a service - Selling them goods that they're lacking (ie when the optimum stock is low) or buying their surplus off of them. This will be especially noticeable when you do interprovincial runs, because you're likely to be selling them goods that they don't get through any other means.

This opens up the idea of joining a faction as well as inter-faction politics, events, etc. Lots of good potential in this.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/19/2011 11:58 PM CDT
As far as when this would go in, this is another post-main-release idea. I might slip in the notion of factions early so you can start earning reputation, but nothing else would be out there so it wouldn't be terribly useful.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 12:17 AM CDT
Back in history Merchant Houses ruled kingdoms and set the economys of same. Some had less scruples than others as well. Not sure this is where you are going as far as factions are concerned but it is an idea i have always thought appealing of being able to move up the ranks of a local or regional merchant houses. So maybe an idea is to set up joinable Houses that could be incorporated into the system.

Jerde

rub other gweth
[Assuming you mean the Barbarian Guildleader Les.]
You rub your jadeite gwethdesuan.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 01:15 AM CDT
could citizenship for a certain province be factored into the reputation as well? i.e. you might get slightly better contracts or deals in a region if you are a citizen of the province, the guards might be inclined to look the other way if its a citizen rather than "some durn foreigner".

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 02:06 AM CDT
>>could citizenship for a certain province be factored into the reputation as well?

Entirely possible.

>>So maybe an idea is to set up joinable Houses that could be incorporated into the system.

Yep yep. That's kind of the idea.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 09:32 AM CDT
Am I to assume that our ledgers will be rewritten? I hope we don't have to get a different ledger. Mine has been with me since the beginning and is nicely altered.

Also, at the con you mentioned almanacs. Do you feel comfortable expanding on them?

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 03:11 PM CDT
>>I hope we don't have to get a different ledger.

Old ledgers should be just fine. I'll rewrite them but the actual item won't need to be replaced.

>>Also, at the con you mentioned almanacs. Do you feel comfortable expanding on them?

Sure! Almanacs will probably end up being pages in a ledger actually. Almanacs will likely be a something you can purchase with reputation at a faction. An almanac will track the last in-game day's opening prices so you can get an idea of what the state of the market was. This should help inform you of new TPs that you haven't explored in a zone. The city-based zones will likely give you an almanac for free.

I also have vague plans with respect to a web page that you can use to view a much wider timeframe of historical information (I'm thinking 30 days or so). That's even farther down the line than factions though, so I wouldn't at all take it a a promise.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 04:38 PM CDT
>>I also have vague plans with respect to a web page that you can use to view a much wider timeframe of historical information (I'm thinking 30 days or so). That's even farther down the line than factions though, so I wouldn't at all take it a a promise.

or maybe this could be kept in game by asking npc's about things
they would tell you what they "remember"... be it 100% accurate or not could depend on which npc you asked and and which thing you asked him about.
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 06:55 PM CDT
>>or maybe this could be kept in game by asking npc's about things

Probably not - There are very very limited tools available for displaying information like a histogram in-game - ASCII just doesn't really cut it. I'm totally open to the idea of asking a clerk about a different zone's TP and getting a piece of information about it, though. That would be potentially inaccurate but a good way to get information about other posts.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 09:18 PM CDT
Socharis,

I just wanted to say that this proposed system sounds pretty awesome. A friend of mine who has been playing for ages turned to me and said, "You know... I actually just might roll up a Trader." And I feel the same. This is coming from two people who have had essentially zero interest in the guild previously.

A couple of suggestions too:

- SPECULATE [faction] [good]. Based on Appraisal, Scholarship, and experience with the faction. Allows the Trader to extrapolate from previous knowledge to make a prediction about how the price of this good will change in the future, with more skill leading to a better prediction and the ability to look further into the future. Maybe something like, "You expect the price of this good will peak around X amount around day Y of this year." Has the chance to be wildly wrong. Should never be quite as good as the player compiling data on his or her own.

- Histograms. It's a shame these can't be shown easily, but consider stem-and-leaf presentations? Basically sideways histograms, like so:

|xx
|xxxx
|xxxxxx
|xx
|x

Also this is a great opportunity to introduce terms like mean and standard deviation (for normal distributions), and median and interquartile range (for non-normal distributions). Yes, you can tell I get excited about statistics. :-p

- Work orders. Would be awesome to tie this system into an inter-province work order system. Enchanter A orders some things while in Shard, low level Carver B makes them up in Crossing, and Trader C picks them up and delivers them to the enchanter.

Good work and looking forward to hearing more.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/20/2011 11:57 PM CDT
>>Allows the Trader to extrapolate from previous knowledge to make a prediction about how the price of this good will change in the future, with more skill leading to a better prediction and the ability to look further into the future.

That's an awesome idea, but all you could really guess at is whether or not its stock will naturally replenish on the next day or delete on the next day - A huge portion of this system is impactable by players, and there's no predicting what you crazy folks will do.

>>Histograms. It's a shame these can't be shown easily, but consider stem-and-leaf presentations?

The issue is combined between the difficulty of properly displaying things and the technical aspects of storing that kind of information. If you assume one data point per good per TP per IG day, and there's 400 trading posts with an average of 10 goods each (totally made up numbers), you're talking 16,000 pieces of data every day. Our current system isn't really designed to handle that kind of information with any kind of ease, unfortunately. I've got some things in the work that WILL make it easier, but until we can get that going (which is why the web site idea is so far in the future), we're going to have to be content with tracking the previous day's data only.

>>Work orders. Would be awesome to tie this system into an inter-province work order system. Enchanter A orders some things while in Shard, low level Carver B makes them up in Crossing, and Trader C picks them up and delivers them to the enchanter.

This is the sort of crafting tie-ins that I was envisioning. In fact, one thing I'd love to see is some stores where the stock is only available if a trader has performed the proper deliveries. Additional uses for this system I was just thinking about are:

* Delivering building materials to buildings being constructed.
* Delivering weapons to war fronts
* Delivering player-made 'units' of Goods to be sold.
* Tie-ins with the mining system, or any other raw material production systems we come up with in the future.

--

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/21/2011 12:10 AM CDT
>>A huge portion of this system is impactable by players, and there's no predicting what you crazy folks will do.

Boar Clan wants Elothean silks? No. They will get watermelon instead. Mountains and mountains of watermelon!
Malkien
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/21/2011 02:04 AM CDT
>>That's an awesome idea, but all you could really guess at is whether or not its stock will naturally replenish on the next day or deplete on the next day - A huge portion of this system is impactable by players, and there's no predicting what you crazy folks will do.

Ah, of course. I wouldn't want to give up the player interaction, as that's the best part!

But perhaps Traders could still make an estimate about what demand will be like at a given TP, even if they can't determine whether that demand will be filled? And yes, of course estimate how much of demand has been filled recently -- or, perhaps, how much demand has been filled in general.

>>I've got some things in the work that WILL make it easier

Great, well, maybe at that time. :)

>>* Delivering weapons to war fronts

I'd love to see this, especially if number of weapons delivered had an actual tangible effect on how well the war is going. (Much like charging the orb during the Lyras event.) And, of course, artistry is needed at festival times, and orders there may have an effect on festival prices, etc.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/21/2011 06:27 AM CDT
<<Boar Clan wants Elothean silks? No. They will get watermelon instead. Mountains and mountains of watermelon<<

or, to cite another case, just think about that trader who invested in lavender production before magic 2.0...

1.tons, and tons of lavender for Meraud...
2.???
3. Profit!

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/21/2011 05:58 PM CDT
This makes me have hope for traders.

I know thieves already have it pretty cool, but what I've heard of old news was that Thieves were suppose to get in on the smuggler action, any chance of this, that they'd be able to help out, make profit, be part of the system?

Re: Commodities/Contracts Rewrite 08/21/2011 11:00 PM CDT
personally, i think a thieves part in the system would be a hired distraction while you pass through gates with a caravan full of ill goods.

like so you hire the thief to run interference at the important parts, (some function/ability to distract the guards for 60 seconds)

during that 60 seconds the guard would have a much lower chance to check the trader's caravan at "customs", (probably like other things also, eg no check for warrants for that time for that room, or whatever else a thief would apply to this situation in order to not make it specific to only helping traders for this function)

this would maybe be another way to pass goods though if you wanted to carry a heavy load of ill goods, instead of just a few and disguising them with the rest of the normal goods on your caravan.
Prev_page Previous 1