Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 03:15 PM CST
I just liked seeing this:

>A quick patch might be a 'training room' in the Guild just for thieves like what I saw someone else mention. Remember in those ninja movies where the thief had to rob the dummy with the bells attached to it, without making the bells ring? To prevent abuse maybe you can only train every so often... as a reward for a good rep you get time in the training room that quickly mindlocks Thievery (even for HLCs).

I like this concept for HIGH reputation perks.

So one of the things I was thinking about was maybe gifts given for High Reputations, some type of treasure hopper with different items that have randomized nouns articles and adjectives, all within a list for the various 'Districts' or as I've been terming it 'turfs'.

>// More stealthy movements
If you can give me some specific verbs, I can approach the idea of modifying them to look at your stealth, wounds, and agility to do stuff like that.

Stand/Lay/search ... those are things that come to mind right away, can we somehow slip and tie those new Rebecho items, just tested it to get:

untie bow
That would give away your hiding place!

That would be another thing, then there are typically it is rub to activate magical items:

rub diad
That would reveal your hiding place.

touch kingsnake
You come out of hiding.
The kingsnake flickers fitfully, but remains cool beneath your hand.

In another vine would be neat if somehow signs (sign language) could be shown to in-group or fellow Thieves even if your hidden, even if they are hidden (but that's a digression that just came to mind).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 03:18 PM CST
One of my annoyances with boxes, is the risk vs. the reward. Especially as you get to the more HLC style traps, the critical fail that could happen (if I understand the system right) is FAR more severe then suffering from the same type of fail in combat. I guess depending on how those locks that could be sold (also like the concept that perhaps eventually they could be included in the Crafting system [probably need to separately suggest to Kodius]) might make this whole thing nicer.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 03:55 PM CST
>// Locksmithing training
>What mobs do NOT drop boxes that you think should? Getting those would be helpful.
>What if you could buy locks to train on? Not boxes, but just trapped locks.

I don't know other people's experience but I know I tried Dragon Priests at various levels and found that only Assassins and up actually dropped boxes at a decent rate. I could hunt Shalswar/Sentinels/Zealots for an hour and not get the same amount of boxes I can get with a twenty minute trip to zombie stompers.

Surrogate locks would help a ton of with this if ever possible.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 03:59 PM CST
>> If you can give me some specific verbs, I can approach the idea of modifying them to look at your stealth, wounds, and agility to do stuff like that.

Definitely anything that changes your position (stand/sit/kneel/etc). Being able to activate some magical devices unseen would be amazing but maybe not in the Thief wheelhouse, idk.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 04:55 PM CST
Why I suggested earlier about some kinda tinkering spinoff, that allows thieves and maybe barbs to train a skill called Improvised Devices or something similar. Would give them another skill to train since MU's have Arcana. It would be an undertaking, but things could be released as time progresses. At least a few things to start training the skill.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 05:07 PM CST
The odds of NMUs getting a skill analog to arcana which uses a completely not-magic system to produce magic results are probably roughly specifically zero.

I'd like something like that. I'm just suggesting you not get your hopes up.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/21/2016 05:16 PM CST
Not magic results, just different results various gadgets would produce. Some have been mentioned, things like smoke bombs, explosives, traps. I wasn't trying to imply things along the lines of magic. These things would fit the wheelhouse however. I am not getting my hopes up though, just saying it would be a neat way to incorporate some of these effects, while allowing another trainable skill. Now i'm not sure how it would incorporate into the magical skillset, or if it would be "fair" to have it in another.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/22/2016 02:28 AM CST
>* What skills are hard to train?

Nothing I think of offhand is HARD to train, but things have varying levels of annoyance.

Stealing is top of that list because of random guaranteed fail that doesn't care about your skilkl, warrants and arrests wasting your time, wasting your gweth charges, and wasting your coin to pay fines, having to wander the entire realms, and lastly, the 1 hour cooldown timer.

Followed by stealth because of difficulty of STAYING hidden and stealth caps vs critter's combats, though that's more a general combat issue than Thief specific. And Thieves already have Khri Dampen.

>* What do you do to train them currently?

Stealing: A big personal script to go around hiding, sneaking into a shop, steal 1-4 items I feel is the most challenging and teach the best, and move along. At ~400 ranks, I have to cover essentially the entirety of Zoluren from Crossing to Knife Clan to Leth to Kaerna and all places in between. Every now and then I go around by hand and check marks to see if I should change items and number of items, possibly add gotos to skip shops or comment shops back in to the chain. By far the biggest script I've ever made for the sake of a single skill and some incidental app/stealth training. When I lost it twice, destroying all my copies of it in less than a month because of FE corruption deleting my stored scripts, I put my Thief on the backburner for awhile, 6+ months.

Stealth: TBH I am too rusty to comment on it.

Thief Bonus systems: It's not a skill, but I basically ignore these entirely. I am not caught enough nor bin enough to have my Guild Reps change. I can't do anything about the Urban Bonus, I either have it or I don't. And Confidence is only trained by backstabbing and ambushing challenging levels of critters, which I basically don't fight enough often enough. Frankly, I just assume I'm running around at my baseline confidence level because nothing else I do, which is more than I do combat, changes confidence.

Binning: I don't bin because I don't see the point. So I MIGHT get reputation if the item hasn't gone cold, but the reputation doesn't do anything except offset negative rep. I'm not going to be lugging around thousands of stones of burden from a huge mass of random junk from 30-40 or so shops to bin.

Thievery: I don't think that anyone should EVER be caught on a trivial item when they have an empty suspicion pool in that shop (AKA, their first try). It's ludicrous to get a charge for stealing incense at 395 ranks. I'm fine with subsequent tries once there's some suspicion, even on trivial items, but it cuts into the utility of an occasional grab of convenience when I'm trying to grab a 1 silver item because I can do it quick without going to the bank and back.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/22/2016 10:25 AM CST
Ill preface this by saying I try and train efficiently. I train toe to toe on my terms. For that reason, my armor ranks are on par with my weapons. Now then, I do not understand how people have a hard time training backstab or stealth for that matter. Unless people just want to go back to hide, backstab, rinse, repeat... Which is both lazy and incredibly boring.

For melee:
I advance, circle, slip stalk, clout or stun depending what weapon I am holding, slip stalk, ambush or backstab, slip stalk, ambush or backstab, give an open attack and then gouge.

For ranged:
I load, advance, aim, circle, slip stalk, clout or stun, shove, slip stalk, snipe, gouge

I lock each weapon and move to the next. For ranged weapons I'll lock them and only move on if stealth is at 15. Though if just entering a hunting area I'll let it lock.

My stealth and backstab are 150-200 ranks ahead of most my other combats, and they lock just fine. I firmly believe it's more down to the creature you are fighting and your methods than anything. I fight creatures with long training ranges. I don't care if I cap them for stealth first. I trickle in after the best learning just fine until I'm ready to move on.

I don't know. I definitely don't think that it's hard though. I just think people need to play with thier tactics some. Have a plan in place. As I've said before, I never used khri for effect as much as for magic training. Now that I have the concentration I do both. Now it lends itself to my hunting style.

Biggest annoyance of skills to train? Locks and stealing. Neither are fun for me and both require too much time. So I don't do either. It is amusing to me that I can crank out masters irons 99% of the time with khri and my stats and only a pitiful 270ish locks. But, in retrospect I guess it's not that far off. Elec simply grew around the skill instead of with it. Either way, training locks and stealing are both painful, and the risk vs reward on both are very low for me.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/22/2016 10:32 AM CST
I'd love to see the Disarm Harvest Easter Egg chance turned up a fair bit. It's been years since I grabbed a black cube or stoppered vial.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/22/2016 05:34 PM CST
I know many have already commented and so my voice will just be one among many, but I did want to chime in.

Backstab:
My only problem with backstab is that I can't use it on quadrupeds. If I can backstab a biped with a saber, then I should be able to backstab a quadruped with a stiletto.

Sleight of Hand:
I never really use it.

There's no upside. Only downside. Cool benefit to add that ties into thievery - if you've got a high reputation, maybe getting caught stealing won't result in a charge.

Thievery:
Just ugh. I'm very heartened to hear there's a project in the works. A short term fix would be to up learning experience. Like Kaeta, if I want to lock, I'm running all over three provinces on the mainland. I have to constantly re-write and monitor my script to remove or add items to it when the item is too easy to steal or too hard to steal. If an item is too easy to steal, finding a replacement is PAFO with arrest after arrest after arrest until I find the sweet spot, even with mark.

Another possible short term fix that would improve my QOL: Give Thieves a way to pay off the guards to prevent an arrest in the first place. Clear warrants by going to the guild leader or to the beggar or some other NPC. Heck, make it open to other guilds if you must, make it only for thievery charges (though all those "mark" disturbing the peace charges can be a pain in the arse) if you have to, but give us the option to avoid the whole hullabaloo of arrest, gweth charges lost, hider charges lost, and inconvenient several minute pause from training.

Khri:
I like the khri we have. I think it's a good start. But I'd really like to see it revamped similar to the barbarian system. More options, need to specialize, end goals.

AoE Ability:
Yes please. Even when I'm not frozen to all hell, I am completely useless in invasions. I throw up prowess and by the time I get to melee for the stabbing to a pulpy mess, the creature I was advancing on is dead to someone's missile range aoe.

Locksmith training:
Low levels, it is difficult to find boxes. Also, with the collapse of survival skills in 3.0, I now need to train BOTH skinning and boxes to circle (because first aid... I'm no Isharon). Finding creatures that will allow me to train both is pretty difficult - there are only a small handful and none in my current hunting bracket. It would be neat if I could buy locks to train on. I mean, I can buy origami, I can buy mortar and pestle, I can buy all sorts of things just to train a skill. A few training boxes at Ragge's would be awesome.

Title reqs:
I would like more transparency here across the board. I know this was a PAFO thing, but I hate PAFO on these kinds of things.

"Sometimes I have parties at my house in Nashville and it's clothing-optional, and we just body-paint each other and run around." -Ke$ha
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/23/2016 05:25 PM CST

// Backstab
I personally don't really have a problem training backstab. It's caught up to my level now, but I still train it faster then some of the other things I have per level. I would like to see more things that are bipedal. Especially bipedal box droppers that are within city limits.

// Expanded Sleight of Hand
I would love to see more slips and tricks that would fall under slight of hand. As someone mentioned eariler, the ability to do small tricks with our small edged and crossbow weapons. Even super fluffy stuff like making a small show of palming an item for someone. Card tricks. I'm obviously going for more close-up magic tricks.

// Thievery
I can't wait to see what's in the works for this. Like I mentioned a while ago, I would love to see thievery expanded out to bi-peds at some point. Allowing us to work stealing in combat areas on critters the way we can work it on like the beggar.
As to a quick fix, most people have mentioned an exp boost. I think a level boost on items would be helpful in area's like Crossing. Working from cold to mindlocked, I can do it in about 30 minutes stealing from Hib to Shard. If I try that in Zol, it'll take me almost twice as long and I have to do the run from Leth all the way up to Haven. I can't lock myself in any one mainland city alone in one run.

//Contacts working outside of town
Please, thank you, we love you.

// Loss of unique crafts
I would like to throw in a quick vote for being able to get a bonus in tinkering instead of in carving. I feel like it makes far more sense considing locks and crossbows will be there.

// Locksmithing training
There are things like frostweavers that could stand to have their boxes upped. I'm sure there are a ton more things like that around.
Love the idea of making locks, I know that was something that was talked about years and years ago when people use to sit at the doors. Small crafted practice locks. I really wish that we could repurpose components into something also. It'd be neat to be able to build a small practice lock and then try to rebuild a trap in it. Disassemble/reassemble until you break the component.

~Niktika
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/23/2016 06:33 PM CST

Oh one general quality of life thing I'd like to add. When we are jailed, is it possible to set something up so we aren't constantly using charges on gweths/rings/hiders. Luckily I have perma gweths, but I hate having to get my hiders charged all the time or having to find a new ring. In the past 24 hours alone I've been arrested at least 7-10 times. This is like an average train stealing day.

~Niktika
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/23/2016 09:42 PM CST
I think the QoL might get hit for gweths and whatnot if I can construct a bribery system and get it approved, since by ~normal~ standards, that kind of item "wear and tear" is intended.

I've picked out a few projects from the threads so far that I've identified as things I'd really like to do, and a few other GMs are taking notice as well.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/23/2016 09:45 PM CST
Thanks, Naohhi and everyone else behind the scenes.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 02/23/2016 09:47 PM CST
I'd like to second that. Thanks to Naohhi, and the GMs who work silently in the background. Just being asked for input goes a long way, but knowing you're working on things goes further.

And I don't just mean that for thieves, I mean it for the Rangers and the races and the Paladins.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 09:02 AM CDT
Magic in general is geared toward ultra high level players. Even at level 75 and 50 discipline I still fail to be able to put up the lowest level combination khri. I'm at these magics:

Inner Magic: 283 95% thoughtful (4/34) Augmentation: 276 23% learning (3/34)
Debilitation: 143 56% thoughtful (4/34) Utility: 252 29% learning (3/34)

While I realize it is no big deal to put it up individually. I'm left asking myself how in the world will I ever activate spar in combat in the wilderness when I can't do secure in town.

Back to the idea that magic is too geared toward high level people. The requirement to sit down at lower levels to activate khri was completely annoying. Worse yet, having to kneel in combat is so ridiculous. It's in no way realistic.

I think the bonus system needs to be expanded to other things (player stealing, shop stealing etc.)

I don't know if this can be addressed but it's more just a general complaint. There is NO point to evasion moving fast for combats because you are too weak to move on to the next hunting tier due to slow moving shield. This is because 1) thieves lackluster toe to toe buffs that allow them to move up. Instead you wind up letting evasion move after the slow cap at a slow rate while you wait for everything else to catch up. Rangers and barbarians do not experience this problem at all. Here is another complaint. All of the useful combat khri are augmentation. So, you either choose to move all magic and gimp yourself or you just move augmentation. Debilitation has limited abilities and the duration is super short.

Also, this is a general idea. I would like to see more customization or specialization. WoW comes to mind where rogues get a more specialized focus. I guess what I'm getting at as maybe a utility specialization (specialty ambushes balance of the two), a thug specialization (toe to toe combat), and a subtlety specialization (stealth/backstab centric).

Right now it's all subtlety. Pretty much the only way you can hurt things is backstab. Backstab is WONDERFUL. But really that's the only option you have for any kind of fast killing.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 09:05 AM CDT

> Even at level 75 and 50 discipline I still fail to be able to put up the lowest level combination khri.

That seems wrong to me. My baby thief could put up a combination khri by level 25. Try sitting, hidden, in town or use delay. Same problem?
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 09:12 AM CDT
Oh, I also just read about lockpick carving moving out of our hands.

That's fine.

But let me ask you this? Why in the world would I waste my time training lockpicking then? Skinning is easier to train, less time consuming, and more profitable overall. Pretty much the only reason you would train lockpicking is because you are going to get boxes from bipeds when you train backstab anyway.

Lockpicking in general needs to pay out WAY more.

Regardless, I regret not rolling a ranger. Basically because of the reason I just stated. Oh and they have a better set up having armor secondary.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 09:25 AM CDT

No that's standing but that's another point I'm getting at. Kill the sitting mechanic. It's a pain.

I just think the barbarian system is so much smoother.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 11:44 AM CDT
Here's one idea I had instead of just complaints.

Khri Hasten

Right now with the combat changes it is a very limited advantage to have the rt lowered when it procs. Why? Because of the stamina requirements. So, basically you just get tired quicker. All the benefits to it activating are loss because eventually you have to slow down anyway to regain stamina.

How about hasten gives the thief a chance to hit a second target? Is that doable?

How about amp up dampen to make it apply to apply to across the board armor hindrance reduction (stealth and evasion).
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 01:57 PM CDT
You have some some valid complaints about the problems with Thieves, but you also seem to have some misinformation about some things.

>>Even at level 75 and 50 discipline I still fail to be able to put up the lowest level combination khri.\

Neither of these things have anything to do with how many khri you can start with a single command. That's purely based on your Inner Magic, and to be honest your magics are a bit on the low side for your circle compared to most people.

>>While I realize it is no big deal to put it up individually. I'm left asking myself how in the world will I ever activate spar in combat in the wilderness when I can't do secure in town.

It's going to take you ~350-400 ranks in IM (with high confidence) to start putting up combos while standing outside of urban areas.

>>I think the bonus system needs to be expanded to other things (player stealing, shop stealing etc.)

Our bonus/confidence already affects stealing, stealth, and backstabbing. This is what they originally did, and Khri was added to the system when 3.1 was released.

>> There is NO point to evasion moving fast for combats because you are too weak to move on to the next hunting tier due to slow moving shield. This is because 1) thieves lackluster toe to toe buffs that allow them to move up. Instead you wind up letting evasion move after the slow cap at a slow rate while you wait for everything else to catch up. Rangers and barbarians do not experience this problem at all.

Every guild except those two guilds suffers from the same problem. They are blessed with not having any defenses in a tert skillset, and it's why they are both generally considered the most combat focused guilds (with Paladins added on because their heavy focus on armor makes up for lack of evasion). These kind of differences is kind of the whole point of skillsets.

>> Here is another complaint. All of the useful combat khri are augmentation. So, you either choose to move all magic and gimp yourself or you just move augmentation.

This is a matter of opinion, though I can understand that lower tier Utility Khri may not be all that useful in PvE, but I find that the Utility Khri have a lot more interesting and useful abilities than the +skill/stat of the Augmentation Khri. It sounds like your real complaint is the concentration pool that Khri run on, and how limited it is below 300 max concentration. I get that and it sucks.

>>Debilitation has limited abilities and the duration is super short.

Prowess is a game changer for PvE and our Ambushes are very potent in PvP, the durations will improve with more skill. Again concentration fueling Khri does make it painful at the low levels.

>>Why in the world would I waste my time training lockpicking then? Skinning is easier to train, less time consuming, and more profitable overall.

I find this to be quite the opposite, but you might not be at a level where box payout starts to pick up. I earn much more from boxes than I do from skins/loose gems/coins at the higher levels. I will say that the Skinning skill is more useful, especially with crafting, than the Locksmithing skill is, but if you are talking about gaining wealth from critters then Locksmithing wins hands down. Getting just one super box (they're rare but range from 20-50 plat) and it will pay better than a full day of skinning.

>>Regardless, I regret not rolling a ranger. Basically because of the reason I just stated. Oh and they have a better set up having armor secondary.

I play a 150+ Thief and ~90th circle Ranger and I can understand your issues. Below 100th circle the Ranger is less painful to play and magic is more useful. Magic 3.2 is only going to make it that much easier on Rangers with magic, too. Beyond 100th I have to say that Thieves pull ahead and their magic becomes much more useful mainly because having enough concentration to use more than just 2-3 Khri at a time, the skill to get decent potency/durations, and not having to deal with sitting/kneeling/starting khri individually. Really, I enjoy the stealth system in DR and Thieves are much better with stealth than Rangers are.

>>Khri Hasten/Dampen suggestions.

Honestly I find these two to be the most useful khri we have. Your argument against Hasten could just as well as be used against raising Strength, but lowering RT overall is useful. I'm at a point where I don't have to worry about getting tired and Hasten lowering my RTs below the minimum is very nice and I use it in PvE and PvP all the time.

I don't really see a reason for Dampen to affect both armor hinderances. It's possible for Thieves to get their maneuvering hinderance down to insignificant with the right light armor on, and Dampen drops stealth hinderance to none. Being Armor tert I don't think it is really thematic for us to be better in armor than Armor secondaries. They can only get down to minimal maneuvering hinderance (one range below us) in light armor, and can't get anywhere close to us in stealth hinderance. Hell, Dampen even lowers my stealth hinderance down to just above none wearing a 4 armor setup. I think we're in a pretty good place with armor considering our skillset placement, but we could use other ways to make us tougher while out of hiding.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 02:15 PM CDT
Going down the memory lane. These are the official responses to most of your complains (just saying):

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Thieves/view/639
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Thieves/view/629
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Dragon%20Realms%203.1%20Test/Thieves/view/623
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 03:17 PM CDT
<<Getting just one super box (they're rare but range from 20-50 plat) and it will pay better than a full day of skinning.

And a super jackpot box can range from 150 to 250 plat, give or take. Got one in normal rock trolls worth ~200 plat including trader bonus.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 05:59 PM CDT
>>Why in the world would I waste my time training lockpicking then? Skinning is easier to train, less time consuming, and more profitable overall.

In addition to the already mentioned fact that lockpicking is by far more profitable overall, it stops being as time consuming when you have more skill + khri secure to reduce the roundtimes. Use glance to identify once you unlock that ability. It still takes time, but it's not that much more per box than a full arrange + skin for each creature.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 07:40 PM CDT
I still stand by my original post.

My magic is low for my liking but certainly not low for my circle.

You need 185 inner magic for 75. I'm 100 past that.

My point still stands magic is geared toward high level players.

Also, the point of lagging behind because of tert shield. I realize other guilds have it worse combat wise. But they also have much stronger buffs.

Your point about hasten though is invalid. You are high level. For lowbies it's useless. Yet you are stuck using it for nearly ever to train utility. I can't activate sagacity standing in the wilderness yet and even if I did use it the duration is like 2 minutes.

Also, I'd rather kill the super box for a more steady payout. What's the difference realistically. But I think you guys may be right because I miscalculated the money gain because gems can be hard to quantify because I do mass sells.

Regardless I put emphasis on locks and train skinning for fun yet....

Locksmithing: 257 93% very rapt
Skinning: 325 33% clear

Also, the time consuming point. I do lockpicking for skill not for speed. Yes, I could pop through boxes super quick if I wanted to...I think all thieves can. But what was the point of me farming boxes if I don't get xp.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 08:00 PM CDT
Also, while I'm here.

Perception is too freaking easy to train. And I know this has been mentioned on the boards.

Perception: 444 39% mind lock (34/34)
Stealth: 318 04% clear (0/34)

I lock perception in orc bandits at this level.

Yet even though I don't PVP, I'm left scratching my head. Anyone with secondary survival or better at my level would easily outclass my stealth. Can't you bring perception in line with the stealth caps for creatures?

Also, this may be a lore issue. But I'd rather just see stealth teaching dumbed down. For instance, I'd love to hunt cave trolls at my level but they don't teach stealth (skins and boxes). Yet geni teach stealth very high and are in a similar range.

After snow goblins there are very few viable skin/box critter options.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 08:07 PM CDT
>> Can't you bring perception in line with the stealth caps for creatures?

That would be awful nice, huh?

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/15/2016 08:28 PM CDT
>>My magic is low for my liking but certainly not low for my circle.

>>You need 185 inner magic for 75. I'm 100 past that.

Yea, that's not horrible but our circle reqs for magic are pretty much just for show. I wouldn't use them as a gauge of any type myself. My Ranger (also magic tert) that is 13 circles above you has 350-415 in his magic skills, and they aren't just turn on and forget like Thieves. It really just comes down to training styles though.

>>My point still stands magic is geared toward high level players.

To be effective at it? Well of course it is. If you could do everything by 200-300 ranks then what would be the point of other 1500 ranks? Honestly, Thieves have it the easiest when it comes to magic. Most of our Khri are capped in potency by 400-500 ranks, and duration by 650-700. The only thing that matters after that is IM and putting up more Khri in a single command.

>>Also, the point of lagging behind because of tert shield. I realize other guilds have it worse combat wise. But they also have much stronger buffs.

Their buffs aren't any stronger than ours. Everyone has the same 15-20% buffs that we have (depending on SoI), and ours even scale faster as I just pointed out. Now, you could point out that they can use more buffs than us at the lower end which would be correct and pretty much everyone agrees should be changed.

>>Your point about hasten though is invalid. You are high level. For lowbies it's useless. Yet you are stuck using it for nearly ever to train utility.

Again, this is just your opinion. I have taken a couple of Thieves up to 30th circle in 3.1 and one up to 70th and I found Hasten useful on all of them, and didn't notice any extra fatigue drain while using it. Is it more useful at high levels? Yes, I will give you that, but I wouldn't call it useless at low levels. I just think people get caught up on it not triggering on every attack, but every time I've tested it I see it trigger 2-4 times out of 10 attacks, and over time that adds up to a lot more attacks.

As for learning Utility, you can pick up Dampen pretty early. It teaches better than Hasten and it's the most effective stealth booster we have at all levels. I would suggest using it instead of Hasten.

>>I can't activate sagacity standing in the wilderness yet and even if I did use it the duration is like 2 minutes.

That's expected since it's a Tier 4 Khri. That's something to grow into and takes probably 350-400 ranks before the duration is long enough to be worth it.

>>I do lockpicking for skill not for speed. Yes, I could pop through boxes super quick if I wanted to...I think all thieves can. But what was the point of me farming boxes if I don't get xp.

If you are needing to farm a large number a boxes and/or needing to do every step/harvest through them to lock then it's probably time to move up to something a bit harder. I can lock Locksmithing on ~10 boxes that are no danger to me. Take advantage of all the ways to buff Locksmithing and pop boxes that are a little bit above level.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 08:19 AM CDT
Oh when I said expand bonus. I was referring to confidence.

The only thing I notice any noticable gains to confidence is from backstab. If it applies to stealing or stealth the effects are not noticeable.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 08:34 AM CDT
> sit
You sit down.

s> khri secure
You attempt to blend a number of meditations to start simultaneously, but you feel your skill is lacking to complete them all.
Focusing intently, you mentally weave together the two mantras until their essences flow through you, increasing your abilities.

With deep breaths, you recall your training and focus your mind to hone in on improving your physical dexterity.
With but a quick thought, your hands steady and your mind gears itself to the purpose of getting into what others want you out of.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
sR> smirk XXX
You smirk to yourself, the way only a stylish Thief can.
Your surroundings fit your talents perfectly.

Nope, still can't activate it in town sitting. Nearly 300 IM and 50 discipline.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 08:59 AM CDT
>>Oh when I said expand bonus. I was referring to confidence.

I was, too.

>>The only thing I notice any noticable gains to confidence is from backstab. If it applies to stealing or stealth the effects are not noticeable.

The effects are very noticeable when comparing tanked vs. full confidence in a PvP environment. You won't see much difference in the levels between neutral and top-end on confidence but the boost is there.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 09:01 AM CDT
I think he's talking about gaining confidence. As in stealing runs don't seem to raise it significantly, while backstabbing will bring it from neutral to max state fairly quickly.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 09:09 AM CDT
>>I think he's talking about gaining confidence. As in stealing runs don't seem to raise it significantly, while backstabbing will bring it from neutral to max state fairly quickly.

If that's the case then that's a pretty valid complaint. Those actions should raise confidence more than they do (if they do at all).
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 10:53 AM CDT
>>You need 185 inner magic for 75. I'm 100 past that.

300@75th is kinda low. My thief at 45th has 240 which is closer to average.

>>Your point about hasten though is invalid. For lowbies it's useless.

I rather like Hasten, I find it more useful then Dark/Damp, as stealth is capped ages before I have enough weapons to move up. I find I actually 'train' on one critter, and Backstab/hide on something bigger for boxes to keep stealths moving.

Samsaren
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 11:09 AM CDT
>>...as stealth is capped ages before I have enough weapons to move up. I find I actually 'train' on one critter, and Backstab/hide on something bigger for boxes to keep stealths moving.

A tip: Use poach/snipe to extend the teaching caps for stealth. I've kept my Stealth locked with it well past when my Evasion has hit teaching caps. It really only exacerbates the problem in the long run, but it's useful for when you don't want to have to use two separate hunting grounds just for Stealth.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 12:13 PM CDT
>>A tip: Use poach/snipe to extend the teaching caps for stealth.

Yeah, I do both(snipe being fairly new in the mid 40s), but I also train 8 weapons so it only gives me a few more ranks before the same problem crops up. Upside, I never have issues keeping skinning/locks up to level.

Samsaren
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 03:23 PM CDT
Just because you "like" it doesn't mean your damage output is improved.

You're damage output has not increased if your fatigue has drained quicker.

I'm not even going to respond to the comments on my IM, which basically equates to "train harder newb."
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/16/2016 03:24 PM CDT
And yes, I am talking about confidence gain.

I'd like to see it expanded to lockpicking/stealth/thievery.
Re: Stab it into a Pulpy Mess - Current Thief Woes 04/17/2016 09:59 PM CDT
<300@75th is kinda low. My thief at 45th has 240 which is closer to average.

Not that sure about that. Unless the average just like to sit around a lot. Myself currently at 66 with most reqs besides skinning and outdoorsmanship for 70th has magics in the 220-250 range. I also have 11 weapons at 200+ and main survivals around 300's. I also have pretty decent skills in most other relevant skills that a thief would want in lores, such as tactics and mech. Since I've started the character I've pretty much had him doing everything and keeping it moving at all times. I like others just probably want to circle a little quicker and use those tdp's to compensate for some of the inadequacies of low disc for khri and reflex / stam for survivability.

Maybe that's not the average, but Its mostly straight up skill gain differences besides some of the time having to be spent out of combat doing random survivals like thievery and outdoors, with some mech.