1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:24 PM CST
<Then why did you bring it up? What good is an example of something if its not brought in front of something else as a comparison? So you just mentioned another MUD because you felt like it? Cool.

Damn dude, you're really triggered. I guess it really threatens your stance maybe because it has some validity to it?

I just liked the way it worked and thought MAYBE it could work here. Not that it DEFINITELY WOULD work here. It's just discussing ideas. That's all. Chill out.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:24 PM CST

<<If PVP is such a small part of the game, I'm not sure why there's such a large pushback (by what appears to only be HLC) against making changes that would make the game more fun for everyone.>>

I would argue that there is a very small pushback from a very small group of players (who clearly have issues with not being able to kill the top players) to bring HLCs more in line with the rest of the game, while the vast majority of the game doesn't care about this and would rather see development devoted elsewhere.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:25 PM CST

It was stated a few comments back that no one plays muds for the PvP. I think that is demonstrably false, potentially even so in DR.

Pointing out things that work well in other game is a prudent exercise. We should continue thinking of ways to improve DR
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:32 PM CST
<<<Damn dude, you're really triggered. I guess it really threatens your stance maybe because it has some validity to it?>>>

lol U mad bro. Could have predicted that response.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:37 PM CST
>>If there is any work being put back into development, I sure would hope it wouldn't be creating an arena that balances pvp. I would rather would see Rangers/Paladins get some work first. Maybe more events on a global scale that would engage us into wanting to be part of a more active RP scenario, vice the small portion gameplay that revolves around PVP. Nothing gets people involved like a good war.

I don't know. I don't think these are solely PvP problems, PvP puts a magnifying lens on broader systemic issues that we will some day have to solve.

Ignoring the question of what someone is entitled to (on either side), I see two concerns.

1) Anything that makes DragonRealms progression intuitively comparable to "work one must get through" as opposed to "a video game that we play for fun" is suspect on that ground alone, regardless of whether it is the norm right now.

2) A character development arc that takes man-years of playing to reach endgame (insofar as there's one of those at all) may be detrimental to the greater longevity of DragonRealms as a video game. Not enough conversation has gone into consciously deciding what the arc of playing DragonRealms looks like.

PvP is influenced by both concerns, but I don't think the implications are going to be limited to PvP.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:39 PM CST
<Pointing out things that work well in other game is a prudent exercise. We should continue thinking of ways to improve DR

It would be nice to actually explore ideas but on these forums more than not it seems futile.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:45 PM CST
I think what makes dragonrealms unique is the very fact that there is real years and real time built in.

Dragonrealms has not felt like work for me rather a long journey. I'd hate to see that journey shortened or somehow feel less than or cheapened because someone needs to be able to pvp with gort after six months.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:52 PM CST
>I think what makes dragonrealms unique is the very fact that there is real years and real time built in. Dragonrealms has not felt like work for me rather a long journey. I'd hate to see that journey shortened or somehow feel less than or cheapened because someone needs to be able to pvp with gort after six months.

As a very wise person said on another thread in these forums...

>What I was saying is that the current way dragonrealms is set up you CAN have the game the way you want it to be.

How you play the game and how others play the game is different. You can play it how you want and get enjoyment. If you want it to be a long grind, you can personally make it that way yourself. Some people (that truly love the game) are just making suggestions on how to better the game.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:55 PM CST
Donald trump is gonna make America great again. Personally I think America is already pretty great.

I love ideas and suggestions for the game I don't think the player base should dictate wholesale changes because generally they always want things to be easier, faster and free.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:02 PM CST

>DISCOTEQ21: I would argue that there is a very small pushback from a very small group of players (who clearly have issues with not being able to kill the top players) to bring HLCs more in line with the rest of the game, while the vast majority of the game doesn't care about this and would rather see development devoted elsewhere.

I understand how you could view it like that, because most of this discussion seems to follow discussion about how its unfair when one higher character ganks a lower character. I hope you can understand that another interpretation of this whole shebang is that there are a few people who by virtue of having played longer, have more ranks than most players, and want to remain on the top of the ladder. They are a minority of the game, but clearly have issues with not being able to kill everyone else in the game, and are extremely resistant to any suggestions or notion of rendering the game a more enjoyable for all PvP playing field.

I do agree though that most of the game is absolutely content doing their own thing and not PvPing in any capacity, but I am personally glad that balance issues are addressed from a PvE and PvP perspective. 3.0 did a good job. Theres work to be done still, and indeed, some of the issues at this point regarding 'PvP imbalance', are due to issues that were never addressed to begin with.

Again, I understand that we dont agree on this matter, but I also dont think its reasonable to take the position of 'well i like it this way so it cant change'. Just like Im not taking the position of 'well I dislike it this way so it must'. Furthermore, the argument of 'well I suffered through that grind so everyone else must too' is not a valid argument for the same reason 'i dont want to work for a goal and therefor dont have to' is not a valid argument.

>Armifer:PvP is influenced by both concerns, but I don't think the implications are going to be limited to PvP.

And I hope we see these issues resolved in a way that lets DR become or remain a dynamically enjoyable game beyond a long slog/grind/'make the numbers go up' fest.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:03 PM CST
>I love ideas and suggestions for the game I don't think the player base should dictate wholesale changes because generally they always want things to be easier, faster and free.

There's always room to improve on everything, whether it be relationships, personal goals, or even games. That's why we have the forums, I believe.

None of the suggestions I made above make things easier, faster, or free (I guess on the free part?)

Any suggestions to improve what I suggested?
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:08 PM CST
Honesty, outside of the same couple of people who complain about any change outside of their ideas, there has been some great suggestions I hadn't though about. I appreciate the stuff some of you have thrown out there and would love to see any of it worked on. That arena though, totally needs to be in the Barb guild, give the guild a reason to exist outside of ask ag about exp.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:09 PM CST

>I love ideas and suggestions for the game I don't think the player base should dictate wholesale changes because generally they always want things to be easier, faster and free.

Also, dont forget it was the player base that demanded the cap be set so high, and that tantrumed at the notion of not getting TDPs for training all skils. The player base has also routinely tantrumed at every adjustment to the game that isnt being handed a shiny new toy, and frankly, at this point, I dont think most people have a clue what they even want from the game, let alone what is best for the game.

I hope people can keep doing what they enjoy most without feeling like making the game more enjoyable for more people hinders their capacity to do so.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:24 PM CST
>>1) Anything that makes DragonRealms progression intuitively comparable to "work one must get through" as opposed to "a video game that we play for fun" is suspect on that ground alone, regardless of whether it is the norm right now<<

This is a matter of perspective. Plenty of players find this (what you call work) fun and derive satisfaction from it.

>>2) A character development arc that takes man-years of playing to reach endgame (insofar as there's one of those at all) may be detrimental to the greater longevity of DragonRealms as a video game. Not enough conversation has gone into consciously deciding what <<

This seems to contradict itself. It seems the logevity has been kept afloat by players existing in this paradigm. If it's oh so bad, why are we all chugging along year after year? I have never played or invested in any other game as long as I have DR (only 7.5 years,BTW).

Some common thread is keeping us all at it, even GMs, all the while attracting new players. IMO, keep building on that, not what we cannot agree on. Examples of what most people want to see robustified: guild development, events, GVG balance, completing crafting systems, etc.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:29 PM CST
>>This seems to contradict itself. It seems the logevity has been kept afloat by players existing in this paradigm. If it's oh so bad, why are we all chugging along year after year? I have never played or invested in any other game as long as I have DR (only 7.5 years,BTW).

Player retention is a mixture of having goals for long-term play and enticing new players. Simply giving existing players reasons to stay is insufficient, because people will naturally grow tired of the game and move on to other games as a natural process. Either there is a reason for new players to buy into the game, or the game eventually bleeds out.

This is not a "DR is dying" thing, but it is a "DR is subject to normal social forces that include player attrition" thing.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Question on PVP ::NUDGE:: 12/18/2016 04:33 PM CST

So this is last time nudge, further bickering will result in a 30-day time out for those involved.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 04:38 PM CST
>>Either there is a reason for new players to buy into the game, or the game eventually bleeds out.<<
Aren't new players buying into the game... ?

Most of what we see being developed are nickle and dime the current playerbase micro transaction quests. Feels like the contradiction is very strong.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 05:00 PM CST
Interesting thread just catching up on eet. Not saying I agree with any pvp changes in this aspect first off because it would devalue what people have earned for 5-10 years. Also agree with it not effecting the aspect that the people who pvp constantly will still win because we know how to pvp better than the people who don't but will possibly give the people who dont pvp a chance to learn more without fear of camping etc. In the end we really have no say in what's gonna happen. The choice is being made regardless what is said in this thread.

" Its like when I'm right I'm right, when I'm wrong I could been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong, you know, and I'm sorry cause I could be wrong right now, I could be wrong, but if I'm right... "
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 05:05 PM CST

>Most of what we see being developed are nickle and dime the current playerbase micro transaction quests. Feels like the contradiction is very strong.

>Some common thread is keeping us all at it, even GMs, all the while attracting new players. IMO, keep building on that, not what we cannot agree on. Examples of what most people want to see robustified: guild development, events, GVG balance, completing crafting systems, etc.

I agree with everything you just wrote, but I think its worth pointing out that some of these changes may include a solution that in part aims to reduce the effects of skill gaps. For example, GvG balance is an ongoing juggle surely, but what if it is determined that part of that balancing requires reducing the effect of skillgaps? What if game dev as a whole results in extending the point that all skills train as primary to, say, 500 ranks?

I dont know if its a good idea to bring stuff to a vote or take a survey or whatever, but I suspect theres some echochamber effects at play for everyone here. The community I most actively communicate with these days is populated mostly by newer arrivals or returns to the game, or my Necro chats. I wager a lot of people get into their own bubbles and that gets somewhat reinforcing.

>Either there is a reason for new players to buy into the game, or the game eventually bleeds out.

This is why I dont like the suggestion that some have floated of speeding up the first 100 circles of the game. Most of the content is there, with everything after that just being 'find a different noun to beatup while the numbers get bigger'. That in and of itself isnt a bad thing to me, but I do hope to see some attention paid to the late game content.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 05:10 PM CST
balance of classes is the toughest thing to do in a pvp mmo of any sort from what i've experienced and read.

throw in years of rank attainment and disparity, it would be quite a feat to do it correctly and also fairly.

probably thinking way outside the box is required.

-Munch-
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 07:19 PM CST
>>Most of what we see being developed are nickle and dime the current playerbase micro transaction quests. Feels like the contradiction is very strong.

Bearing in mind that DragonRealms is a commercial product, I don't believe there is much of a contradiction in intentions between "Simutronics gets money one way" and "Simutronics gets money another way."

There is certainly be more to it than that, if for no other reason than because making a good video game positively correlates with making a profitable video game, but DragonRealms does not somehow exist outside the profit-driven society that produced it.

-Armifer
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 09:24 PM CST
>>Not that it has much weight, but the argument for the game is akin to what they would be asking in RL. It would be like going to a Jiu-jitsu gym and asking to be a blackbelt without putting in the years of work. The real issue here is that those crying foul are the ones that expect a fantasy medieval text game to be easy.

No, it's like comparing a game to other games out there. In this case specifically I believe both MUD and non-MUD were used.

>>1) Anything that makes DragonRealms progression intuitively comparable to "work one must get through" as opposed to "a video game that we play for fun" is suspect on that ground alone, regardless of whether it is the norm right now.

I like this, and I wish more players would understand how the gaming environment has shifted in the past 20 years

>>2) A character development arc that takes man-years of playing to reach endgame (insofar as there's one of those at all) may be detrimental to the greater longevity of DragonRealms as a video game. Not enough conversation has gone into consciously deciding what the arc of playing DragonRealms looks like.

My only concern with this statement is what seems to be some people's issue, tangentially. I feel very strongly that Dragonrealms could maintain it's current paradigm if people nad not been gaming the system for the past XX years. Granted, prime is not plat, and that's certainly understandable and appreciated, but there are people/characters who I know started playing well after I did who are 3 to 4 times higher in skill ranks than I am, primarily because I don't script combat. I don't mean this as a finger pointing statement, but more a nature of the game. I want to see a game where it's not about the time you spend staring at the screen (aka watching netflix), but the time you spend engaging with the players and system itself. If that means the entire skill based paradigm is changed to something more flexible, so be it. If people are going to leave over that kind of massive change, so be it. The nature of Dragonrealms and what it was meant to be was always about the expansive mechanics compared to modern games, and the rich roleplay environment that has always been, if not mandatory, at least respected.

The fact that people are obviously AFK scripting away just to get a little better at something (out of perceived necessity), and that people use "lol" when speaking are the biggest issues that Dragonrealms Prime faces.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Question on PVP 12/19/2016 11:38 AM CST
>>Truly sorry you can't compete with the 3 guys in that level, except I'm not.

Of course, the other side of this is that it can get boring if you have only two other people to PvP against.

It's easy to see these kinds of conversations as "people who didn't put in the work to train up a character want to win a fight", but at the same time I recall there being posts about Wyvern arena fights where players didn't have anyone to compete against in their brackets.

I'm in agreement that changing all PvP to work this way is unreasonable (I don't think anyone is suggesting it, though...), but having some PvP iteration where skills are more balanced so there's a bigger general pool of competition sounds like a smart and healthy idea.

I heard others highlight that this isn't necessarily done in other games and their PvP is fine, but it's also worth recognizing that those other games are scaled in a way that caps people out rather quickly, so there's no real need to do this to begin with.

Then again, maybe this system will be used as heavily as the Assassin game. Remember that game and how it was super liked for a month or so until there weren't enough people of similar skill to participate?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Question on PVP 07/13/2018 10:38 AM CDT
Rezz

PvP setting 'even' (e.g.,) would weed out the hlcs who have and have not the nerve to test their actual knowledge of PvP against all comers. hlcs, who can best people because years of training has rewarded them with some useful combat insights, will be regaled with a measure of excellence never before available. Those who bought their character, thus lack the necessary pvp experience, will either never set to 'even' (or whatever) or embarrass themselves.

Those willing to chance it facilitate the opportunity for really interesting (next-level exciting) higher-scaled events between small groups of adversarial cliques (with some backbone); families; clans; entire provinces. This without a single hlc running the table on all adversaries, picking them of one by one, and in mannerless perpetuity.

If the coding wasn't prohibitively complicated, management could even run events with a temporary option to go 'even' for just the duration.

In conclusion. There would be a new measure of excellence in the game ("Evil Johnny is legitimately the best pvper given he wins all the time on the'even' setting against other ballsy 'eveners'). And it would give a platform for lower levels to have more action, possibly facilitating more skill based, possibly much larger-scaled, nail-biting, combative events.

I win 2 years later.
1 3 Next Next_page