Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 09:52 AM CST
The question I always have when people trot out this "fair and balanced" pvp suggestion is where do you draw the line?

Do you give everyone 1k ranks 100 in all stats? That kinda screws the folks with poor/incomplete buff suites, and kinda puts stealthers at a disadvantage.

Do you base it on skillsets? Which completely disregards the efforts many put into their tert skills to offset their class bias. I recall a dear friend of mine, back in the old, punishing EXP model, had his top skill as perception in a deliberate effort to make it harder for Ragran to pick on him. I highly suspect folks like that would be less then thrilled to lose a huge amount of ground to play in your system. Not to mention it puts guilds with under-evolved prime skillsets (Lore/Armor primes) into an even rougher spot for 'Fair'.

Honestly speaking, one of the bigger drives to MMO's is the powercreep payoff. What is the draw to building and growing a character if you can't take advantage of such? I know people love to trot out the argument of "What about Joe-New-Guy?", but frankly, Joe there has no right even standing in the same room as someone like Gort, let alone being a threat to him as something other then a speed-bump.

In the current EXP Paradigm, you can make a character that can be involved with all but the absolute biggest of names in a shockingly short amount of time. Yes, you have to put in some effort, and yes, that benchmark IS pushed a little farther out every day, but it really SHOULD because it's a multi-decade old game that touted virtually unlimited advancement. Is there room for improvement? Sure. Could a 'even footing' style Arena be neat? Maybe. Is anyone in this tread going to change their mind? I'd give a snowball in hell better odds.

Samsaren
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 09:57 AM CST
< Is anyone in this tread going to change their mind? I'd give a snowball in hell better odds.

My mind is not made up at all. I don't even care about pvp that's the funny thing was just throwing thoughts out and get told it's the stupidest idea ever. I have no idea what the best solution is or even if it really needs to be changed. I guess personally I just think an arena would be a lot of fun?
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 09:58 AM CST
I've seen a lot of people saying that they've seen 800 ranks beat 1100 ranks. This is actually a good argument for normalizing PVP. I've seen a suggestion floated around that in PVP, ranks 1-1100 are treated as <insert number here>. Ranks 1101-1500 are treated as <insert number here +100>. Ranks 1501+ are treated as <insert number here +200>. This would serve to make PVP more fun for everyone (I'm assuming that is unless your idea of fun is that you've scripted for 10 years and DESERVE to curb stomp everyone because they haven't scripted for 10 years).

I believe this would get rid of the problems with baiters, as well as make PVP more engaging for everyone. The people that have scripted for 10 years will still have the extra spells, extra stats and "better" gear so it won't be like they've worked for nothing. They would still have an advantage over lower circle people, it just wouldn't be so bad. This would also serve to help against the baiters that newer characters don't even know are breaking policy, so don't report.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:03 AM CST
If people are serious about PVP and truly love the idea of an even footing combat opportunity, they should consult Buuwl on another noob war event. He has found plenty fun at the lowest of levels. Also, awesome post Samsaren.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:16 AM CST
The best thing about noob wars is in the past all the vets who make alts end up dominating them, badly dominating them.

It ain't all just a ranks thing folks.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:17 AM CST
<<I believe this would get rid of the problems with baiters, as well as make PVP more engaging for everyone. >>

It would do absolutely nothing to solve this problem.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:32 AM CST

>The question I always have when people trot out this "fair and balanced" pvp suggestion is where do you draw the line?

I think being willing to ask the question is a better start than saying 'as long as you have fewer ranks than me I should be able to kill you all the time'. And, as I think a lot of people have been quite clear in stipulating, narrowing those gaps is not the same as eliminating them.

>Do you base it on skillsets? Which completely disregards the efforts many put into their tert skills to offset their class bias. I recall a dear friend of mine, back in the old, punishing EXP model, had his top skill as perception in a deliberate effort to make it harder for Ragran to pick on him. I highly suspect folks like that would be less then thrilled to lose a huge amount of ground to play in your system. Not to mention it puts guilds with under-evolved prime skillsets (Lore/Armor primes) into an even rougher spot for 'Fair'.

I think this is a question for how to handle the arena suggestion, not how to handle better closing the skill gaps suggestion. A survival tert should have a hard time spotting a hiding survival prime. And no, Im not saying lock everyone to their skillset placement either.

> Is anyone in this tread going to change their mind? I'd give a snowball in hell better odds.

Yarp.

>(I'm assuming that is unless your idea of fun is that you've scripted for 10 years and DESERVE to curb stomp everyone because they haven't scripted for 10 years).

This is pretty much the extent of the proffered counter argument. I think its valid to some extent - more work and investment should pay off - but I dont think just because you sat and scripted for 5 years or hit JOIN JOIN back in 1996 that you should implicitly be guaranteed the ability to curb stomp anyone who only scripted for 4, or hit JOIN JOIN in 2005.

None of these suggestions have been aimed at taking away the edge long and hard work provides, its been aimed at reducing the absolute guarantee that is the current pvp paradigm. And again, if the only way to revitalize your interest in pvp was to roll an alt for the noob wars, that points to there being a problem at the higher ranges.

I think if players are happy with the current pecking order paradigm, sure, no conversation can be had, and we should just keep on truckin on until the bots catch up, or the caps are reached and once again we have this issue of PvP being kind of a rough thing to engage in sans steamrolling or getting steamrolled due to various choices that were made ages ago. I personally dont find that as enjoyable as more equal footing PvP (and again, this is not a call to simply normalize all Pvp ranks), but if others dont, then, whelp.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:35 AM CST
I forgot this isn't the conflicts folder.

>>I've seen a lot of people saying that they've seen 800 ranks beat 1100 ranks. This is actually a good argument for normalizing PVP. I've seen a suggestion floated around that in PVP, ranks 1-1100 are treated as <insert number here>. Ranks 1101-1500 are treated as <insert number here +100>. Ranks 1501+ are treated as <insert number here +200>. This would serve to make PVP more fun for everyone (I'm assuming that is unless your idea of fun is that you've scripted for 10 years and DESERVE to curb stomp everyone because they haven't scripted for 10 years).<<

>>I believe this would get rid of the problems with baiters, as well as make PVP more engaging for everyone. The people that have scripted for 10 years will still have the extra spells, extra stats and "better" gear so it won't be like they've worked for nothing. They would still have an advantage over lower circle people, it just wouldn't be so bad. This would also serve to help against the baiters that newer characters don't even know are breaking policy, so don't report.<<

This seems like a reasonable way to approach it.

Mazrian
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:35 AM CST
>The best thing about noob wars is in the past all the vets who make alts end up dominating them, badly dominating them. It ain't all just a ranks thing folks.

This is absolutely true, and I think probably the most fun Ive ever had in conflicts is when Im fighting someone who is close in rank. Hence my suggestion to narrow some of the gaps, somehow.

I am not the least bit surprised that the coolest thing about noob wars was seeing how people who know the game and its nuance did better. I find that really encouraging, because it suggests that the bones of PvP are actually in better shape than some people think, and its overshadowed by rank disparities.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:37 AM CST
Imagine if you could have all the fun of Noobwars but with your main PC. And if, just like noobwars, you didn't have to script in a corner for 5 years to do it.

If only there were some suggestions in play that would make that stuff possible...

Mazrian
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:49 AM CST
<My mind is not made up at all. I don't even care about pvp that's the funny thing was just throwing thoughts out and get told it's the stupidest idea ever. I have no idea what the best solution is or even if it really needs to be changed. I guess personally I just think an arena would be a lot of fun?

I wasn't trying to completely crap on your ideas, some of the arena battleground type ideas you had in the other thread you made were pretty good. What you proposed in the idea I thought was very bad was the desire to see characters unable to attack another player unless that player was skilled similar. That would just drive away decent RP and PVP since everybody needs killing now and again.

Basically I like DR PVP system as a whole how it is now. There are things that could be tweaked here and there, small things that don't make sense like watch, but aside from that its not bad. I do think it would be awesome to have the arena type system that would allow folks the option to base matches on predetermined skills. That would take some fleshing out to make it be interesting, and the option could always be made to use the feature on a per match basis.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:49 AM CST
>>Joe there has no right even standing in the same room as someone like Gort

This seems like a great attitude; I'm very encouraged to stick around DR now.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:51 AM CST
>>If only there were some suggestions in play that would make that stuff possible...<<

Suggestion: Stop braiding vines. Get out of the inn. Hit the gym. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:54 AM CST

Noob wars is fun for a month then gets old. Also much of what's fun is training and fighting and ganking during hunting. Redesigning dragonrealms to be like noob wars isn't tenable or responsible.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:54 AM CST
Whats humorous is in a suggestion about how someone could PvP on equal footing with someone who outranks them, in the same sentence you told someone to stop mindless scripting, you told them to go mindlessly script.

Thats the problem - when the only barrier of entry to this exchange is 'how long have you mindlessly scripted' you arent allowing a situation where actual skill and knowledge matters, aka the noob wars.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 10:55 AM CST
>>sam's wisdom

You say the best words. I completely agree very well said.

>>Squanto said things

you are so smart! Also yes Buuwl do a noobwar.. I do remember once Squanto doing one?? Maybe he should do one with Buuwl

>>jwark stuff

While I appreciate your effort ..I do think it's pretty easy to avoid pvp with others who aren't your level. Perhaps a tourney event where you are matched by your level instead of limiting or normalizing. This is already a thing in DR. It does however take player interaction and people talking. This involves someone other than Armifer and Javac to put in effort to make it happen. It seems (not you specifically Jwark ..this is in general) we all are standing with our hand stuck out wanting the GM's to fix a problem that really isnt there.

We can choose to only pvp with those we can either A) beat 2) are at level with or Q) never at all as you yourself state you choose. We can choose when and where even. Planned events and so on make this possible. If you aren't open to 24/7 pvp and wish to learn it is possible. The players just have to make an effort. And I see a huge problem at these events where even losing in a controlled environment causes people great upset. If this is the case..pvp is NOT for you and even a controlled all across the board scenario where your numbers equaled mine etc..you would end up pissy still I promise. Cause your internet would hiccup and I'd beat you anyways..i'd have a better macro etc etc etc . You see what I mean?

Making us all equal seems extreme. Like cutting of an arm because of a hangnail.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:05 AM CST
Yeah I have no idea I've never gone open. I rarely even think about PVP. I've been to the wyvern trials etc it was really boring and all my matches ended up in draws because no one could hit each other so I was just like pvp is really weird here and haven't participated since.

I also did noob wars but the participation was so low I just sat around with no one to fight all the time. I won a couple and lost, well, more than a couple though.

Just from my view I don't really understand why someone needs the ability to one shot a low level player. In every mud I've ever played this was recognized as a problem except for here. There were always rules put into place that made the mud appealing to everyone for pvp but this place it's not.

No one complained about it like they do here and most people participated because it was fun.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:08 AM CST

>>Imagine if you could have all the fun of Noobwars but with your main PC. And if, just like noobwars, you didn't have to script in a corner for 5 years to do it.
If only there were some suggestions in play that would make that stuff possible...Mazrian aka Snarky McSnarkypants

Then we could all be open! Cause closed wouldn't be necessary anymore cause we would ALLLLLLLLLLLLL BE EQUAL. IF ONLY
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:27 AM CST
>>This seems like a great attitude; I'm very encouraged to stick around DR now.

Truly sorry you can't compete with the 3 guys in that level, except I'm not. We're talking about an extremely long cycle MMO, the handful at the top DID put the time in. Even there though, they aren't untouchable, it just takes a bit of effort to get to striking range.

Honestly, it sounds like what most of you want is something akin to PVP Seasons, with a re-setting time so that those interested can have their spot to party. I'd lobby for that, rather then sweeping hardcore changes to the base game.

Samsaren
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:36 AM CST
>>Truly sorry you can't compete with the 3 guys in that level, except I'm not.

I was fully aware of this already. I don't see the point in having an aggressive attitude about it though; unless you just don't want new people to stick around.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:43 AM CST

Why is a new players ability to fight gort mean they will or will not stick around?

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:47 AM CST
>>Why is a new players ability to fight gort mean they will or will not stick around?

The standard doesn't have to be Gort. There are a whoooole lot of people who will be able to kick down at you, as a noob. And they will. For a long time.

Mazrian
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:47 AM CST
>>Why is a new players ability to fight gort mean they will or will not stick around?

It doesn't; being told they have no right to even stand in the same room is what might encourage them not to.

Not being able to catch up to people who've spent years at something is a normal part of most long term endeavors. Having people tell you that you have no right to even be around because you're not one of them shouldn't be. At least not if you want your game to grow.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:48 AM CST
New people that stick around are not sticking around just to kill Gorteous. There are plenty other things to do than that.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 11:53 AM CST
There ARE plenty of other things to do. The problem comes when someone tells you that you don't even deserve to stand in the same room as someone else because they have been scripting longer than you.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 12:00 PM CST
<There ARE plenty of other things to do. The problem comes when someone tells you that you don't even deserve to stand in the same room as someone else because they have been scripting longer than you.

Dude it was just an expression, basically saying that somebody shouldn't be able to begin to stand toe to toe with Gorteous PVP wise unless they put in the time. He wasn't seriously saying that your not worthy to be in the same province as Gort presence is currently inhabiting...
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 12:10 PM CST
That's the problem though, he DID say that a new character doesn't deserve to be in a room with Gort. He didn't qualify it with anything else. That's the attitude that a lot of the HLC have right now. "I'm better than you because I've 'put in more time' and have scripted longer". Or maybe even just outright bought their character.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 12:15 PM CST
I think there is a nugget of truth in both sides.

There is a reason that most/all MMOs now use normalized level/stat combinations for PvP, and lock the PvP 'content' behind PvP walls rather than PvE walls (DR locks all content behind PvE).

I think it's also reasonable to ask for some type of PvP system that uses a normalizing feature when game development is measured in terms of decades rather than months. If I picked up a Paladin and a Cleric 5 years ago, and spent the exact same value of time on each, the Cleric would be insanely better off. That has merit and effects the game. It's also worth pointing out that since DR takes so long to get anywhere, it's not always the 'better' player who wins, but the one who can spend more time logged in AFK scripting (or who writes more efficient scripts or who can grind the HE tasks for more rare mats, etc.). Or the one who writes better triggers.

The opposing side is that a lot of people have spent a lot of time grinding these ranks out, and don't want to see them depreciated. But that smacks, to me, of 'I had it miserable and so should you' syndrome.

PvP never decides anything anyway. Either people are doing it for fun, or they are going to be little bitter whining babies and play policy games until the GMs get called in to break up the slapfight anyway. And they all have cliques or posses or families or just IM groups, so that even if you get past the 'let's play policy jousting' urinary competition you then get to be constantly harassed by their social group. Or just their F2P alt-farm.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 01:01 PM CST

And I think there's a bunch of hostility in a discussion that needs to go elsewhere.

If you're going to not act in good faith to simply provoke hostility, you need to probably go do something else.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 01:09 PM CST
DR's investment broker simulator has never catered to a crowd that enjoys tweaking a PvP build. If you go play the Muds that focus on that kind of play (the significantly more popular muds I'll snidely add), the thing that stands out is how much more depth and breadth their combat system has. Their are meaningful damage types, multiple health pools, multiple roundtimes, conditions, rock-paper-sissors hard counters, room based traps and other elements that require the opponent to respond with something more sapient than math.

City of Heroes had a comparable combat system to DRs; cinematic, does a good job of making you feel powerful in PvE. Their normalized PvP arenas were... decent, but relatively speaking were really boring.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 01:29 PM CST
Thank you, Annwyl.

Now, say we take the suggestion of 1-1100 ranks being normalized to say 100 ranks in PVP, with 1101-1500 200, and 1500+ as 300. What could be done to streamline it, or maybe make a few changes to it to make it work better?

Also, the suggestion of more PVP stances? Right now we have Open, Closed, Guarded. Maybe add a stance that normalizes the skills in PVP? Instead of Open, Closed, Guarded we have Open, Closed, Guarded, Beastmode. Anyone in Beastmode would be closed to anyone else except others in Beastmode. That way it's more of an opt-in.

Next, the suggestion of ranges? Maybe you can only attack people withing 20 circles of you? Would that be too small at upper levels? Or perhaps set it to a skill rank, based on your primary skillset? Only can attack within 100 ranks of combat skills? This seems very unwieldy and hard to program.

Any suggestions to modify any of these would be great.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 01:51 PM CST
I love how everyone has a better MUD to use an example in discussions like this. I like dragonrealms as it is for the most part, otherwise I would have quit long ago. I like that you can play it for a long long time and get better over years. I like that gort has replaced codiax who replaced gurt who replaced airman who replaced dangelo. I like the snerts I like the crybabies and everyone in between. What I don't like is the idea that the game needs some major sweeping change because some other MUD, (that's more popular? That was cute) does something better in one guys opinion.

I like this game, this is the best MUD.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 02:11 PM CST
Just because DR's PvP is bad and should feel bad doesn't mean it should change. That's time that could be spent improving the much better PvE experience in DR, and nobody logs into a PvP mud for their PvE experience.

This fascination with and, allotted development time to, DR's awful PvP game needs to stop or... slow down. By which I mean stop nerfing my WM in PvE because someone felt bad they lost a fight. I am aware I have no moral high ground to speak of because it is completely submerged in my lake of tears.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 02:13 PM CST

In the scheme of things, my emotional investment in this game is huge. I feel like, however, suggestions for ideas to improve the game are sometimeses met with a sort of analogous 'youre not a real patriot' criticism. I think Dr is the best mud there is. I also think it has flaws. I fully accept that what I like/dislike about the game is not identical to what someone else may like/dislike.

But I think having these conversations is more important than saying 'this is the way it is and must always be'. And more so, while undoubtedly we'll never see a sweeping dramatic change to PvP, being able to rationally discuss these matters isb pretty important.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 02:47 PM CST
People can make suggestions all they want. People can also point out why they dislike said suggestions when they are terrible. Then we can all run in circles moving the goalposts and disagreeing.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:05 PM CST
Not that it has much weight, but the argument for the game is akin to what they would be asking in RL. It would be like going to a Jiu-jitsu gym and asking to be a blackbelt without putting in the years of work. The real issue here is that those crying foul are the ones that expect a fantasy medieval text game to be easy.

What is great about DR is there is consequence of actions. The banter that continues to plague the forums is this desire for equality in EVERYTHING. Considering how little pvp actually happens in DR, the real root of the issue isn't pvp, it is about having equality without putting forth any effort. There are no freedoms in DR. There isn't a Bill of Rights. I am not going to walk up to the likes of Jondong, Aftermath, Cibym, Gort, Caidie, or Squanto and poke the bear (which includes making statements which grants consent) with a stick, as I would expect to get killed.

The great thing about opinions is that we all have them, the bad thing is we have come to expect that just because we have one, it has to be taken as fact and must be listened and taken as end all be all of truth.

If there is any work being put back into development, I sure would hope it wouldn't be creating an arena that balances pvp. I would rather would see Rangers/Paladins get some work first. Maybe more events on a global scale that would engage us into wanting to be part of a more active RP scenario, vice the small portion gameplay that revolves around PVP. Nothing gets people involved like a good war.

Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:12 PM CST
>Not that it has much weight, but the argument for the game is akin to what they would be asking in RL. It would be like going to a Jiu-jitsu gym and asking to be a blackbelt without putting in the years of work.

No, it's not? The 'skill' portion is built in. As someone else said during noob wars the players who are good at PvP still dominate because they have skill.

This is simply asking for a normalized skill and stat combat grounds.

Not for all PvP in the game to be completely removed or flattened or whatever.

>The real issue here is that those crying foul are the ones that expect a fantasy medieval text game to be easy.

Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the part where your character was a slave-chattel caste to a local lord and never learned to read or right, eats meat once per season, and owns no possesions. Crying 'real world medieval simulator' doesn't work because DR is not. It's a game.

>Considering how little pvp actually happens in DR, the real root of the issue isn't pvp, it is about having equality without putting forth any effort.

You (collective) who keep saying this literally aren't reading anything anyone says, since no one has said this and it's been refuted...a lot. That's not what people want, it's not what people have asked for.

>I am not going to walk up to the likes of Jondong, Aftermath, Cibym, Gort, Caidie, or Squanto and poke the bear (which includes making statements which grants consent) with a stick, as I would expect to get killed.

That's great! Since literally no one has asked for that to happen. Can we stop talking about it now?
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:12 PM CST
<I love how everyone has a better MUD to use an example in discussions like this.

Not at all what I said but it's a cute distortion to form a strawman.

One element worked in another mud. I never said it was better or that it would be better here. That's all concocted in your head.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:18 PM CST
I appreciate your attempt to comment on suggestions that have been made Kitch, but your analogy is a little flawed. People didn't "work" for anything in the game. They scripted for it. It's only a time thing. A better analogy would be "I've paid my electricity bill longer than you have, therefore I deserve to be able to turn off your electricity if I want".

I'm not sure about equality for everything, I don't read a lot of the forums.

I completely agree that Paladins/Rangers (and Traders too, don't forget them!) need development, but I'm always willing to make suggestions that would improve the game.

If PVP is such a small part of the game, I'm not sure why there's such a large pushback (by what appears to only be HLC) against making changes that would make the game more fun for everyone.
Re: Question on PVP 12/18/2016 03:22 PM CST
<<
One element worked in another mud. I never said it was better or that it would be better here. That's all concocted in your head.>>

Then why did you bring it up? What good is an example of something if its not brought in front of something else as a comparison? So you just mentioned another MUD because you felt like it? Cool.