1 3 Next Next_page
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/28/2015 08:26 AM CST
I didn't read everything, but...

THUMB WRESTLING!

(if it was not suggested)

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/29/2015 12:17 PM CST
Interesting..

So many ideas I am inspired to make, omgosh.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/29/2015 10:09 PM CST
Actual mailboxes we can use instead of using pre-tweak treasure map boxes with labels slapped on them.

They could be containers that only the owners can move or get items out of and have restrictions on both number or perhaps type of items that can be put in them. Maybe even only have them accept writeable paper/parchment/etc, but it would be nice if we could leave small trinkets for people too.

Possibly you should have to have a house in the room you plant it in, but I lean to no.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 01:47 AM CST
The ability to appraise other players and attempt an assessment of their skills rather than just an inventory list.

A fun addition to this might also be to include a system that allows you to attempt to bluff your skills either up or down when others appraise you. Have some kind of skill/charisma check to determine whether you succeed with the bluff, then the level of success can determine how much higher or lower the victi... er appraiser falsely assesses your abilities.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 12:47 PM CST

Even a mail slot on doors that you can shove a paper in would be neat. I miss my mailbox, too!
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 04:51 PM CST
Ipecac, it's called mark. And it's random enough you don't need to bluff.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 08:57 PM CST
Thieves are dumb, 1v1 me in the conflicts folder.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 10:58 PM CST
This one maybe irrelevant depending on what the plans are regarding heavier armors and greater use for the armor skills, but...

Mage Plate - A lot of WM's in particular want to wear plate armor. Heck, the official image of one is wearing plate. Problem is, plate armor is really really rough to wear for armor terts. Mage Plate would be plate armor that doesn't hinder as much as regular plate and doesn't protect as much as real plate - a shade more hindering than chain, and a shade more protective. Ideally, it would be just another template, but it could also be a special prize for quests, auctions, or an element of Enchanting, depending on how rare it should be.

- Saragos
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 11:22 PM CST
I believe this is 3.0 density lumium, and I imagine a full set of it forged at that density wouldn't hinder very much. I figured I'd post it cause it's similiar to what you're asking about (low hindrance, not as good protection)

The half plate is plate armor.

The plate looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that some light lumium half plate appears to impose high (9/15) maneuvering hindrance and overwhelming (14/15) stealth hindrance, offering:
high (7/15) protection and extreme (13/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and extreme (13/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and extreme (13/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and great (11/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and great (11/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate (4/15) protection and high (9/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/30/2015 11:58 PM CST
It might be nice to have something available that was even lower hindrance and protection but still called "plate." Also I would totally love to wear something called mageplate.

- Navesi
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 12:05 AM CST
>>It might be nice to have something available that was even lower hindrance and protection but still called "plate." Also I would totally love to wear something called mageplate.

While I'm all for mage-plate I pointed out the half plate because it's actually got lower hindrance than a lot of chain already. nightmare black leathers clock in at the same hindrance and just add in protection for legs and those are considered a "low hinderance" option for leathers.

While this isn't the thread for it, armor hindrance is pretty interesting if arcane, there's actually a ton of variety available and density of your material matters more than you would think.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 12:09 AM CST
Isn't that basically what brigandine is meant to be?

And I keep hearing about there being "plans" for bone armor to be magical in nature but I haven't heard much more about what that might mean.

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 05:53 AM CST
I wish there was spell failure ratings due to armors like in D&D. And I'd also love some mageplate, but only if made with real mages.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 09:12 AM CST
>> And I'd also love some mageplate, but only if made with real mages.

Make it so.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 11:16 AM CST
>> And I'd also love some mageplate, but only if made with real mages.

I always wonder: Elven stalking boots. Are they meant for stalking elves, or are they stalking boots made out of elves?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 11:40 AM CST
<<While I'm all for mage-plate I pointed out the half plate because it's actually got lower hindrance than a lot of chain already. nightmare black leathers clock in at the same hindrance and just add in protection for legs and those are considered a "low hinderance" option for leathers.>>

The appraised hindrance ratings of the pieces themselves can be a bit misleading. There does, in general, appear to be a nice progression of hindrance versus protection/absorption as you move up in weight and across armor "type" boundaries, but then it gets thrown way the heck out of whack by the way hindrance works. If I remember correctly, there's literally a mechanic in place that causes the worst possible hindrance you can get in chain to be lower than the best possible hindrance you can get in brigandine, even if you have low skill in the former with a high-hindrance item and high skill in the latter with a low-hindrance item that covers the same body parts. Likewise for comparing across the other "armor type" boundaries. So your lower hindrance plate will still offer more hindrance than the higher hindrance chain. It's kind of absurd, really.

Personally I think the influence of an armor's "type" should be removed from hindrance calculations, and instead it should just be that your skill reduces the item's base hindrance by some percentage (with that percentage being related to one's armor skillset placement). That way your hugely protective, highly hindering chain won't automatically hinder less than the comparably protective plate just because. Barring that, I think it would be cool to have armors that use one skill (say, plate for the sake of all those aforementioned Warrior Mages) but behave like a different "type" for the sake of hindrance. Maybe that could be an enchantment or something.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 11:54 AM CST
>>If I remember correctly, there's literally a mechanic in place that causes the worst possible hindrance you can get in chain to be lower than the best possible hindrance you can get in brigandine, even if you have low skill in the former with a high-hindrance item and high skill in the latter with a low-hindrance item that covers the same body parts. Likewise for comparing across the other "armor type" boundaries. So your lower hindrance plate will still offer more hindrance than the higher hindrance chain. It's kind of absurd, really.

I would love confirmation of this, and it should be easy to see with appraisal (compairing the "If you were only wearing a" line) with high armor ranks in chain and plate. I'll check with what I can scrounge up, but I'm not sure I've trained off all the plate hindrance I can (550 chain vs 250 plate) so I wouldn't 100% trust my results. From my experience moving to a 4 armor setup though I'm almost positive this isn't the way it works. The ranges are just way too large.

Also this is just for Evasion hindrance, stealth hindrance is pretty static based on template.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 12:15 PM CST
Hello,

This thread for fun idea suggestions, please don't drive it off topic with bickering over information that shouldn't be in this conversation.

Thank you.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 05:17 PM CST
I say this one a lot but, buying extra house guest slots. Homes are neat, people love them, but having only one guest slot making them kind of hard to show off or share with friends. Seems like a thing that could be added to the Simucoin store and Premium stuff.

EZATMO like NPC, but for adding some item hiders to a non-scripted item. Not sure how to balance the costs for that. LTB or Simucoin? IDK. Item hiders are so hot right now.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 05:20 PM CST
>> EZATMO like NPC, but for adding some item hiders to a non-scripted item. Not sure how to balance the costs for that. LTB or Simucoin? IDK. Item hiders are so hot right now.

Oh lordy yes.

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 06:07 PM CST
I want a "hide everything" item. So then I can just use SHOW to decide what I want to show. It seems silly that this isn't a thing. And not for some stupid price either, it seems like a great RP tool. Too many things that SHOULD be RP tools end up becoming overpriced.

Monster Elec

Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 06:09 PM CST
I think the justification for armor/weapon hiders being so rare and expensive is that having those items hidden does potentially provide a (minor) mechanical advantage.

Other types of hiders should be way easier to get though.

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 06:24 PM CST
I don't know, I think limiting anyone from making their character look exactly how they want is silly.

Monster Elec

Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/01/2015 06:37 PM CST
>I don't know, I think limiting anyone from making their character look exactly how they want is silly.

I've been asking for 'fantasy armor and weapons' for years.

DR is super hung up on pointless realism. Keep the stats but allow me to have some 'bracers' which function like gloves. A 'breastplate' that functions as half plate or full plate, stuff that is more fantasy themed than walking around in a real-world-physics simulation of 'must cover all the bits'.

Heck, some magic property items, like the old scarab weapon/armor, where you tap it and it goes into a ring form, tap it, fully armored. But let me set the armor pieces it uses. It's nothing I can't do with a .005 second script, but it's cool.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/02/2015 07:04 PM CST
Listening to the radio drama on the gweths today got me thinking.

A sincerely needed/wanted set of items are ones which would dismiss pets from following you (not the owner).

Being able to drop something and have it shoo off WM fams would be really nice. Same for MM locate/etc. (I'm aware there are some tools for dealing with MMs, but they're a bit fiddly).

I was also thinking that it would be really nice if, as a thief, I could use my appraisal/scholarship to identify magic devices, even if it requires a wonky monocle or something. It's irritating that I can't even identify scrolls I find because I can't train the skill to identify them :(
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/02/2015 11:16 PM CST
>>Being able to drop something and have it shoo off WM fams would be really nice. Same for MM locate/etc. (I'm aware there are some tools for dealing with MMs, but they're a bit fiddly).

The anti-locate rings from Taisidon I think did fams too (I never confirmed though). Something to clear the room of familiars and prevent them from entering would be cool too though.

>>I was also thinking that it would be really nice if, as a thief, I could use my appraisal/scholarship to identify magic devices, even if it requires a wonky monocle or something.

I'd even settle for it being based on Arcana with a minor (100-200 rank) requirement. Would love something like this or even a device that just said "Hey that item is magical!" like what was suggested earlier.

>>It's irritating that I can't even identify scrolls I find because I can't train the skill to identify them :(

Grab a first aid compendium to train scholarship. Somewhere between 100 and 250 scholarship i stopped having trouble identifying scrolls on my thief. I don't remember exactly when though, it depends on the condition and material of the scroll.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/03/2015 06:56 AM CST
As far as I am aware, and I checked the wiki just now, identifying magic devices is exclusively a function of arcana.

Scholarship no longer plays a part. It used to though. What I was hoping for was a way to identify a magic device with a skill check not-related-to-arcana, since as a thief, it's prohibitively difficult to train.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/03/2015 06:59 AM CST
I'd like to see a worn skinning/ritual knife that can be adjusted to be worn in a variety of slots.

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/03/2015 12:36 PM CST
Could we redo bundles so they are more like gem pouches?

That is, so you have "a bundle" as an item you wear, and it has the same functionality bundles currently have, but without the necessity for rope.

You could dump the bundle to get all the skins out, or transfer them all to another container, and could still tie the bundle up to reduce item count, while still being able to stuff more skins in.

GENT
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/04/2015 12:04 AM CST
>>I'd like to see a worn skinning/ritual knife that can be adjusted to be worn in a variety of slots.

Yes. Also I REALLY want a knife I can wear in a non-belt slot that could also be hidden! I would settle for one with a bit of cambrinth in it (since I have a cambrinth hider). I realize there is one as a Prison quest prize, but I'd love to see more become available, particularly for the ankle slot.

>>Could we redo bundles so they are more like gem pouches?

Great QOL suggestion. Fiddling with the rope is always a pain.

- Navesi
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/04/2015 11:26 AM CST

<<Heck, some magic property items, like the old scarab weapon/armor, where you tap it and it goes into a ring form, tap it, fully armored. But let me set the armor pieces it uses. It's nothing I can't do with a .005 second script, but it's cool.>>

If I was able to acquire a ring or some other type of jewelry that I could essentially 'store' my armor (and worn weapons!) in in such a way, and be able to tap or whatever other verb to go from fully armored to regular clothes and back at the expense of RT, I would probably cry irl with happiness.

I use scripts right now and it's tedious and spammy and annoying and I can totally see why the vast majority of people just wander around fully armored all the time.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/04/2015 01:34 PM CST
Just wanted to say, I and other GMs have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and the numerous ideas from all of you -- even the impossible ones!

For me specifically, this thread has definitely become a spot I'll return to for projects to pick up for quite some time.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/04/2015 02:15 PM CST

Fun idea drive? Count me in. Gwethsmashers for barbarians pls? Even if I have to put them in a headlock and manually smash their gweths. TY.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/05/2015 12:23 PM CST
>Fun idea drive? Count me in. Gwethsmashers for barbarians pls? Even if I have to put them in a headlock and manually smash their gweths. TY.

I'm for this, I mean it can be all runestone eating and breaking style. I think every time something like this is suggested I push for it. I think since NMUs are still Super Powered, then they should have an option.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/05/2015 12:42 PM CST
>I think since NMUs are still Super Powered, then they should have an option.

Can't thieves use smashers?
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/05/2015 05:00 PM CST
>>Can't thieves use smashers?

Yes.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 12/05/2015 07:09 PM CST
>Can't thieves use smashers?

Oh yes... Yes they can. Buffed, there's not a soul in prime I couldn't smash if I didn't want to if I was in range. Now, the repercussions of that are another story. lol

Monster Elec

1 3 Next Next_page