Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/17/2015 09:10 PM CST
>Clothing layers like they have in GS. Putting on a belt turns into a tunic with a belt, a gown with a girdle, a shirt with a vest, etc.

Talking with GS gms this year at Simucon, they told me that they have/had a lot of issues with this (getting it to work initially, and so on) -- so we're not likely to steal their system, because I think we'd rather have something thats less of pain in the butt, even if it is kind of cool looking.

~Evike
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 08:21 AM CST
Pitched this idea for an HE shop but it would have been new mechanics so I couldn't do it but what about items that could have glowsticks put into them and this would make them change look, such as have glowing eyes, or be gruesome, or be a completely opposite thing. Could have the same mechanics on the glowsticks as the HE ones where if you shake the object too much it breaks the glowstick. Also maybe different colors make the object have a different look as well. So you wanna catch 'em all! ha! Glowsticks would be removable so you could just change them out when you wanted but would burn out after a length of time unless in the object that protects them from expiring. Just an idea :)
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 01:05 PM CST
Hair arrangers (like Tildi style) only for MEN.

There is really zero way a guy can wear any hair arranger, even the ones that aren't flowery.

Example, beveled turpeer (thief shop) were apparently redone to be hair worn arrangers, but still all girly. They would be great for guys! Or a whole shop of gross/utilitarian/manly things guys would stick in their hair to tie it back out of their face.

Let the man buns commence.
Linett!
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 01:35 PM CST
I would also love to see hiders expanded to do "general worn" via magic. As much as I love capes/tunics/cloaks/gowns/etc - sometimes I want to wear smaller pieces while still hiding my general worn items.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 03:05 PM CST
>>Hair arrangers (like Tildi style) only for MEN.

just remove the gender restriction from them as it is

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 03:21 PM CST
>>Hair arrangers (like Tildi style) only for MEN.

>just remove the gender restriction from them as it is

I don't think there restricted from men wearing them, just that the hairstyles provided are fairly feminine.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 03:44 PM CST
>>I don't think there restricted from men wearing them, just that the hairstyles provided are fairly feminine.

ahh okay, I was taking "there's zero way a guy could wear them" too literally.

I'd be for expanding hair options for everyone regardless of gender, then.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 04:10 PM CST
Inspired by that brief misunderstanding, if we're talking about increasing fun... remove all dang gender restrictions. DR is already so nice, letting same-sex couples bond with no hiccups or anything. And there are very few gender limits, thankfully. But why are there clothes that a woman can't wear or vice versa? I know that in real life, pants are tailored differently for men and women, things like that (although I've still bought plenty of clothing made for men over the years, and especially shoes). But in this game you can buy a piece of clothing and put it on a male Tog, then take it off and give it to a Gnome, then a portly Elf, then a slender S'Kra, and it all fits fine as long as they're guys, but you give it to a female anything and suddenly no? What about female S'Kra, they can't figure it out?

Also, chest tattoos. C'mon. They go below the neck, they don't have to dip down any further. You can often see a chest tattoo on someone who's clothed. Plus, tattoo artists are not squeamish sorts, heh. I know we can be a childish group, but this isn't even about borrowing trouble... it's just imagining potential trouble and cutting out RP reactions.

Does anyone prefer having clothing they know won't fit another gender in game? Can you make a case for this? I just see it as a step back and needlessly exclusive, but I might be biased because one of my female characters tends to enjoy a lot of menswear.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 04:14 PM CST
Agree 100% with the gender restriction stuff. I wish the clothes mechanic would just go away entirely and it's never made sense that women can't get chest tattoos.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 04:25 PM CST
I'm more partial to the occasional racial/size restricted armor/weapons/titles than gender. More because I want less completion for my Gnomish rocket boots.

I think the gender restricted stuff is dumb. Based on what I've read online, why shouldn't Prime give Squanto all the pink ever.

I'm also for letting everyone get chest tattoos. I can understand having some descriptive language limits, but "She has a tattoo of a ship on her chest" is pretty tame.

Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 07:44 PM CST
>>gender-restricted items

Mostly something imposed by former staff, but some shops have specific shop/merchant lore reasons for keeping the mechanic and the shop owners wish to retain that.

>>chest tattoos
In some parts, I agree, in others, I believe the main reason that decision was ever made was due to our game rating and the fact that whenever the tattoo system came out, it was likely a much much touchier topic to discuss a woman's chest than it is today. Even today, it's still a bit "cover the children's ears" but the staff we have now are fairly open to hearing arguments for changes.

Either way, this thread isn't about anything that "can't be done" or "shouldn't be done." It's simply ideas and a great place for staff to pull some fresh stuff for new things for us all. Speaking just for myself, I've been inspired at least 15 times by an idea posted or emailed to me, even some of the ones that look like "omg that would never happen."

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 08:07 PM CST

> Even today, it's still a bit "cover the children's ears" but the staff we have now are fairly open to hearing arguments for changes.

I get that when this was an open game on AOL, but do we really have people under 18 playing this game?
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 08:35 PM CST
>I think the gender restricted stuff is dumb. Based on what I've read online, why shouldn't Prime give Squanto all the pink ever.

I tried giving Squanto a pink pole I won from a raffle and he turned it down! >:O

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 09:53 PM CST
>I get that when this was an open game on AOL, but do we really have people under 18 playing this game?

There are people under 18 who do play this game. We recently had an entire high school class log on as part of a project, or class activity.

~Evike
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 10:00 PM CST
I think it's a moot point for tattoos because chest tattoos aren't actually lewd in any way shape or form:

http://i.imgur.com/dQHYEGn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/crm0Hg6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5XnhxIQ.jpg

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 10:05 PM CST

> There are people under 18 who do play this game. We recently had an entire high school class log on as part of a project, or class activity.

That's kind of cool. What was the project?
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 10:49 PM CST
I honestly have no idea. We just were told about an entire class logging on, so we could be aware of it if they needed help.

~Evike
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/18/2015 11:45 PM CST

Neat.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/19/2015 11:25 AM CST

I wish I'd been warned - high schoolers can be so mean and inappropriate.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/20/2015 10:28 AM CST

I still want enchanted twitchy verby versions of the fake cat ears I have :P
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 12:02 AM CST
You know, this doesn't count as "fun" really but it's on my wish list so here goes.

I am desperate for more containers with unique nouns. Particularly thigh worn and as large as the cambrinth thigh bags from Forever Faithful. My ideal would be like a leather folio or scrip.

I do have a lot of shoulder worn containers with unique nouns now, but also always looking for more of those, as long as they are full backpack size (15x10x5).

- Navesi
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 12:18 AM CST
That reminds me I want a lockpick stacker that's case sized without being case nouned. Too many cases in the world already.

Gizzbolf, Spangklud and Krigglin seem fun, let's see more old school Gnomish pantheon stuff. Maybe the three of them blow into town and it turns out they're just a figment of some overstimulated Gnomes' imaginations made real by the power of their belief.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 07:02 AM CST
>Maybe the three of them blow into town and it turns out they're just a figment of some overstimulated Gnomes' imaginations made real by the power of their belief.

That trope has been around a long time, but seems to be gaining popularity lately. I honestly hope DR doesn't invoke it. It's kind of up there with 'he uses a katanananananaz' for cringe inducing things at this point.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 09:02 AM CST
An armor bag that, when touched, automatically deposits all items that show in INV COMBAT, and when turned, wears them.

Clothing bags that, when touched, automatically deposit all items in the body/waist/pant/shirt w/ armor/feet slots, and when turned, wears them.

Jewelry cases that do the same for jewelry in the ring/nose/ear/neck slots.

Gambling cases that auto-run games of chance like hazard, liar's dice, etc. Tokka cards used for poker.

Wearable lockpick rings.

Maps with limited charges that, when read, auto-travel slightly faster than scripting with a successful scholarship check (with appropriate travel times) - or more caravans like the one at the NE gate. Significantly lower travel time when on a horse. Difficulty is higher the further the distance and the more ferries/boats are involved, and marginal success means you end up stopping. Failure gets you lost in another direction.

Versions of jewelry items that self-hide but change the features of someone in LOOK (so glasses and earrings would show up in the features, but not in inventory).

Rafts/dinghies that, when used, allow quick/easy traversing of rivers, but are consumed and fairly time-consuming/expensive to make/acquire.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 09:11 AM CST
>Maps with limited charges that, when read, auto-travel slightly faster than scripting with a successful scholarship check (with appropriate travel times)

How do you see that working? I thought scripts already travel at speeds limited by processor time and ping travel time. I guess it would have to be some type of short-range teleportation, from point A to point B?
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 10:08 AM CST

> >Maps with limited charges that, when read, auto-travel slightly faster than scripting with a successful scholarship check (with appropriate travel times)

> How do you see that working? I thought scripts already travel at speeds limited by processor time and ping travel time. I guess it would have to be some type of short-range teleportation, from point A to point B?

I'd be satisfied if the maps gave me a directional hint when within the zone. There are enough inviable maps that it would alleviate some of the 3+ hour searching sessions that end up with an inviable map.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 12:48 PM CST
>>I guess it would have to be some type of short-range teleportation, from point A to point B?

Short range teleport-maps would be pretty cool actually.

- Navesi
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 02:01 PM CST
>>Versions of jewelry items that self-hide but change the features of someone in LOOK (so glasses and earrings would show up in the features, but not in inventory).

We literally JUST released that. They're at the Premium Mini Festival right now.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 02:08 PM CST

> Short range teleport-maps would be pretty cool actually.

Agreed, but I doubt it'll ever happen for one simple reason. Maps have invalid locations, and this could put you into an area that you can't get out of (or otherwise isn't ready to be released).
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 02:13 PM CST
>>Agreed, but I doubt it'll ever happen for one simple reason. Maps have invalid locations, and this could put you into an area that you can't get out of (or otherwise isn't ready to be released).

For what it's worth, last year I would get a bad map every ten or so, but this year after 60+ maps I've only found one invalid location.

As time goes on, invalid locations are getting de-flagged as possible locations for maps.

Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 02:34 PM CST
>>Agreed, but I doubt it'll ever happen for one simple reason. Maps have invalid locations, and this could put you into an area that you can't get out of (or otherwise isn't ready to be released).

I wasn't talking about treasure maps or random teleporting. More like an item that would short-range teleport you to a set spot. So if you're, say, in your Zoluren hunting spot you could zap to the Zoluren infirmary.

- Navesi
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 03:49 PM CST

<<We literally JUST released that. They're at the Premium Mini Festival right now.>>

Cannot thank you guys enough, this shop is so awesome :D
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 03:49 PM CST
That honestly seems like something horses should be able to do. ::ducks::

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 04:11 PM CST

> I wasn't talking about treasure maps or random teleporting. More like an item that would short-range teleport you to a set spot. So if you're, say, in your Zoluren hunting spot you could zap to the Zoluren infirmary.

I would totally buy/make/use items like this if it didn't require a moon. If it did then it's competing with existing JJ. If it doesn't, I could see the ranger community being upset that this wasn't a feature of scout.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/22/2015 09:00 PM CST
Navesi
>>More like an item that would short-range teleport you to a set spot. So if you're, say, in your Zoluren hunting spot you could zap to the Zoluren infirmary.

Precisely what I was thinking about. Teleport to specific places in the general area (gem, bundle, infirmary, bank, etc) with maximum distance, locations dependent on Scholarship. Messaging along the lines of a quick travel.

Naohhi:
>> We literally JUST released that. They're at the Premium Mini Festival right now.

! Excellent!

Thank you for being psychic. And also amazing.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

"That is so not how magic works." -Raesh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/23/2015 08:11 AM CST
A salt shaker and a pepper grinder.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/24/2015 03:10 AM CST
> Wearable lockpick rings.

Heh, do you mean lockpick rings that have more wearable locations than just belt? Belt slots are at such a premium, I have to agree, if that's your push.
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/24/2015 09:49 PM CST
I round giant sponge you can throw at people when its wet and soak them, and it returns to your hands.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/28/2015 04:15 AM CST
So this isn't really an item per se but a new mechanic that I've wished DR had a few times.

I wish it was possible to set a pose or posture people see upon entering a room which is cleared automatically when you either change position (standing/sitting/etc) or leave the room. It would just be one line, maybe bracketed or indented, that briefly describes what your character is presently engaged in, their posture, an obvious attitude or mood, or something of that nature. A SET option could be added so people could automatically squelch that if they don't care or don't want the scroll.

So for example, someone might walk into a room and see:

[The Tepid Faldesu, Bar Room]
Partially separated from the cramped dining area to the west by a series of unfinished wooden panels, the bar room feels quite open due to its sparse furnishings. Steel-legged stools line the heavily-stained bar, bolted firmly to the floor to prevent damage during drunken brawls. A bulky stack of liquor crates and beer kegs serves to further delineate the space.
You also see a grimy bartender and a shadowy corner.
Also here: Bob who is sitting and Jane who is sitting.
Obvious exits: west.

[Bob is drunk and cradles a cup of rum in his hands. Jane is taking notes in a journal.]

Or:

[Mistwood Forest Road]
The passage of wagons traveling from local farms to the town of Riverhaven has left rutted, mud-filled tracks in the dirt trail. A granite marker stands beside the road.
Also here: Bob who is lying down and Jane who is kneeling.
Obvious paths: south, northwest.

[Bob is supine and bleeding on the ground, looking dazed. Jane crouches over Bob with a knife.]

It'd be a nice way to set a scene up so people are immediately apprised of what appears to be happening when they walk in.

Thayet
Re: Fun Idea Drive 11/28/2015 08:01 AM CST

'Poses' would be an incredibly cool asset to RP, if the engine will allow it.