Prev_page Previous 1
Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 03:59 PM CDT
You, that saavy hunter standing there motionless in the face of danger, four critters desperately trying to maul you as the breeze wafts through your hair. Looking so cool and stuff with your armor gleaming in the sun and your shield and sword raised high; parrying and dodging and blocking thousands of failed attempts all with that wonderful smile on your lips.

Me, desperately trying to just lock tm and get the heck out so i can go train my weapons.
while this might still be a better love story then twilight... it's driving me crazy!
Yes i get that you need four critters on you to milk just a couple more ranks before you move up
the ladder to greater conquests but for the love of all that is (un)holy PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
knock a few off so the rest of the people around you can get some spawn-lurvin too?

Until the Gm's have time to do something about spawn rates, players need to be more considerate
to their hunting environment. I'm not asking you to kill everything in the room but knocking a few foes down every couple of minutes isn't going to kill your training. If it is, then maybe you should be hunting
higher stuff.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 04:11 PM CDT
While the issues you raise are entirely valid, if you need to blast through critters to lock TM before moving elsewhere, a zone where each person doesn't get 3-4 critters each might not be the best place to do it.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 04:13 PM CDT
Just go kill a couple in their room. If they complain, kill them too and then you get all the critters. Or ask if you can join them.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 04:25 PM CDT
originally i was in DP zealots (the spire) and i loved it cause there was NO ONE there ever. then someone else happened to notice my own private slice of tm heaven and decided to pull a statue act (in the best elemental mana room! of all places and he was a RANGER!) so i got to shalswar thinking between all the shalswar and the zealots and stuff that ride them but here we have...

To the east, southeast:
3) *Censored Hunter Name*
4) an armored shalswar
5) an armored shalswar
6) an armored shalswar
7) an armored shalswar
8) a black leopard

who has had those same mobs for oh...the past fifteen minutes?
so meanwhile my poor tmless war mage is sitting here checking his buffs and HUNTing
and waiting for some nasty undead monster or dragon priest to vaporize while
said censored hunter performs HIS statue act.

and after carefully considering the wording in this reply as my war mage piddles and waits for something
to nuke.
To the east, southeast:
1) CENSORED
2) an armored shalswar
3) an armored shalswar
4) an armored shalswar
5) an armored shalswar
6) a black leopard
still doing his statue act.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 04:28 PM CDT
Haha, if this is who I think it is... Kill his horse LOL.

All kidding aside... It bugs me too. I just go somewhere else. More than one critter in the realms. No point in being lazy enough to not walk with the new travel times.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 04:33 PM CDT

15 minutes? hmmmm they should disengage at about 10 minutes or so and leave. Critters still do that right?
Maybe something's buggy?

There's also a Corral of to the side not on the elanthipedia maps that shalswars also spawn at beside outside the Spire and the Gate.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 04:48 PM CDT
not sure about the ten minute disengage timer. i've personally never seen it happen before.
As for the lazy thing... my IG wife trains in gryphons and shard seems to be better for finding a room
for her to hunt in so while we're in shard i like to sneak on over to shalswar for my tm training
then back to gryphons for everything else. Really though should i have to travel the face of elanthia because a few people aren't considerate? I don't think so.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/13/2012 06:40 PM CDT
>>Critters still do that right?

No, thank god.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/14/2012 05:02 AM CDT
>>Critters still do that right?

>No, thank god.

It was more entertaining when their heads would explode!
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/14/2012 10:30 AM CDT
You might try giving them an ooc whisper to make sure they actually know about the spawn problem. Not everyone does, but players tend to assume it's some malicious thing right away. If the person is aware and just doesn't give a crap, then you just need to kill their spawn, kill them, or hunt in their room.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/14/2012 08:50 PM CDT
>>> If the person is aware and just doesn't give a crap, then you just need to kill their spawn, kill them, or hunt in their room.

Truly wonderful to see that strong moral ethic and compassion for ones fellow man shining so brightly in this day and age.

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, "The Fuzzy Kitten".
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/15/2012 07:35 AM CDT
>Truly wonderful to see that strong moral ethic and compassion for ones fellow man shining so brightly in this day and age.

We all play this game for entertainment.

There is little value in deliberately allowing yourself to be frustrated by another player being purposefully selfish and unkind. It's for reasons like this that the 'no one owns critters' rule was created. Your snark could just as easily be applied to the person hogging all the critters. If he had a strong sense of justice and courtesy he wouldn't.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/15/2012 11:06 AM CDT
>>>Your snark could just as easily be applied to the person hogging all the critters.

You seem to be labouring under the misconception that both parties were not included in the afore mentioned snark. The comment is directly applied to them both.

There is something quite reassuring about the secure environs behind a computer monitor, isn't there? No risk, no threat, no danger. Curious how the anonymity it affords us inspires us to act in ways most never would in decent face-to-face interaction with other people.

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, "The Fuzzy Kitten".
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/15/2012 11:13 AM CDT
>There is something quite reassuring about the secure environs behind a computer monitor, isn't there? No risk, no threat, no danger. Curious how the anonymity it affords us inspires us to act in ways most never would in decent face-to-face interaction with other people.

And your false assumption is that people aren't as rude, inconsiderate, stupid, or honestly abbrasive as they are on the forums is a bit overbearing.

Me on the forums? Me in real life. I screw up, I apologize, I move on and hopefully stop doing it.

Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/15/2012 11:59 AM CDT

Wrong folder folks. Conflicts is up a little further.

Kindly get back on topic, or move it to OOC conflicts.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/15/2012 02:37 PM CDT
It's an aggravating problem indeed. I see this in areas where I hunt as well. I don't think it's done with malicious intent, but utter disregard for others. It causes considerable problems even in swarmy areas. The irritation only builds up further when said hunter(s) follow you up the character scale in the next zone. It'd be one thing if they spent 10-15 minutes locking defenses doing this, and killing the rest of the time - but rather they spend 8-12hrs a day in that room, not killing (or killing very slowly). This has been my own experience. I've sent spells into their rooms to assist with the kills a few times. Tho I try not to always assume they are content playin statue, and that they've killed & had respawn in the time I peer/hunt when things get bad. I know there are ways around it for weapons training atleast, feinting constantly to lock weapons - but hunting is my means of earning gold. This behavior not only effects my training, but also my bank account.
::Post Hidden:: 09/15/2012 03:28 PM CDT

A post was removed.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/15/2012 10:20 PM CDT
>>It's an aggravating problem indeed. I see this in areas where I hunt as well. I don't think it's done with malicious intent, but utter disregard for others. It causes considerable problems even in swarmy areas. The irritation only builds up further when said hunter(s) follow you up the character scale in the next zone. It'd be one thing if they spent 10-15 minutes locking defenses doing this, and killing the rest of the time - but rather they spend 8-12hrs a day in that room, not killing (or killing very slowly). This has been my own experience. I've sent spells into their rooms to assist with the kills a few times. Tho I try not to always assume they are content playin statue, and that they've killed & had respawn in the time I peer/hunt when things get bad. I know there are ways around it for weapons training atleast, feinting constantly to lock weapons - but hunting is my means of earning gold. This behavior not only effects my training, but also my bank account.

+1

One of the things I love most about 3.0 is that the "ideal" amount of critters for learning defenses is moving down from 4 to 2-3, with more being dangerous. This will make hogging ruining spawn for other players quite counter-productive.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 09:07 AM CDT
FWIW, I treat a lack of response to my question of 'Mind if I hunt with you?' as an affirmation of consent. You now have an issue with sharing a hunting room with me? Too bad; you don't own the room.

Insisting on playing this game as a solo experience means I have no sympathy for you when you're forced to interact with people.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 10:52 AM CDT
My character asked that very questions yesterday and was told no. I presented several opportunities to RP, hunt together, increase the spawn, listen to classes and the answer was still no. Five minutes by myself in a different room, I came back and started killing critters and was told I had been reported. Oh well. Life goes on.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 07:12 PM CDT
Yeah, this may be somewhat jerkish of me, but I don't really treat the question as much more than politely informing someone that I wish to be friendly and will also be hunting here. If someone requests I leave politely, and proffers some reason for why, I'll probably leave them to it, but generally speaking, politeness isn't what's offered.

Similar note as bluesuedeshoes; Barbarian is hunting in the area, and I ask if I can join. No response, so I just tuck in. About 15m later, I'm informed that "This is my room, leave or I'll kill you". I try and talk it out, and let them know that I'll leave gems and coins, etc, and then OOC whisper something to the effect of "Just so you know, according to policy, you don't own this room. If you want to RP a conflict, lets do that, but I'm not going to leave simply because you want the room" and got nothing back.

I dunno, this is just my little announcement to the DR players who read this section; if you have a reason you want a room to yourself, explain it, but know that aside from Empaths manipulate hunting, there's really no reason (and you certainly have no right) for you to lay claim to an area on your lonesome. If you can't RP out a conflict and/or politely request the place to yourself, YOU'RE the one in the wrong, not someone who hops to it and hunts with you.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 07:18 PM CDT
And who might you play? @JHALIASCLERIC
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 07:22 PM CDT
tl;dr version:

"Just to let the DR community know, I the player of JHALIASCLERIC am a jerk. Not the character".

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 07:29 PM CDT
If someone requests I leave politely, and proffers some reason for why

I wonder how many people would respect an honest answer....

hey, I'm a necro and I don't want anyone to see me doing terrible mutilations of corpses. :-)

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 07:39 PM CDT
>> If you can't RP out a conflict and/or politely request the place to yourself, YOU'RE the one in the wrong, not someone who hops to it and hunts with you.

In all honesty, I'm less likely to RP when training, just like I'm less likely to train when I'm RPing. I'd consider it a bit annoying to have someone show up and expect me to RP out why I want to be left alone when training.

Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 08:43 PM CDT

Taleek, my main is Kandalas, and I obviously also play Jhalias. I have a few other characters. Who are you?

>In all honesty, I'm less likely to RP when training, just like I'm less likely to train when I'm RPing. I'd consider it a bit annoying to have someone show up and expect me to RP out why I want to be left alone when training.

And if someone politely asked you if they could join, your response would be? I mean, frankly, you're playing an MMO, and getting upset because you've run into people in this MMO is... somewhat silly. I can kind of understand not wanting to RP out an encounter every time someone wants something from you, but that's not other peoples problem, that's yours. And saying something like 'No, I prefer to hunt alone' is valid, but then so is me saying 'Well you've been hunting alone for hours in the best mana room in the area, kindly reconsider your insistence on being a solo act here'.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 09:16 PM CDT
>>And if someone politely asked you if they could join, your response would be?

Depends. Most likely I'll just say no thanks. When I'm training, I'm just not really that social.

>>I mean, frankly, you're playing an MMO, and getting upset because you've run into people in this MMO is... somewhat silly.

Finding something annoying is different than being upset. Crowded trains annoy me.

>>And saying something like 'No, I prefer to hunt alone' is valid, but then so is me saying 'Well you've been hunting alone for hours in the best mana room in the area, kindly reconsider your insistence on being a solo act here'.

While no one owns a room, I'd consider it pretty impolite to stick around where you're not really wanted. I also highly doubt that no other room in an entire hunting area has mana that is good for hunting.

Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/16/2012 10:47 PM CDT
If you're ruining spawn for other players by squatting on four critters for extended (10+ minutes) periods of time without killing a single one, you are already being a jerk, and knowingly having an adverse affect on the spawn of others. You know you are training inefficiently and hogging spawn, you're just too freaking lazy to write a better combat script.

Most critters spawn at a rate of 3 per hunter, so if you have 4 on you, you are directly benefiting from my presence, and directly stealing one of my creatures. They are delicious, communal nuggets of experience, like those coins in the "take a penny, leave a penny" jars near cash registers, and you're hogging 'em.

Under these very specific circumstances, if I walk in and kill some of your critters to free up spawn, I am not being a jerk. I am equalizing things to their proper state: spawn for everybody. The room is not yours, nor are the creatures. If you choose to get butt-hurt when someone stops you from ruining the communal spawn, that's on you, not them.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/17/2012 01:13 AM CDT
When I go to intercessors I hog spawn to mind lock the parry skill (annoying to train in Assassins) for 3-4'ish minutes. Doesn't take long at all. I don't train my top melee weapon there because I'm likely to get 'open rolled' if I stay there for too long, since intercessors seem to do it often.

People have different reasons for training the way they do. It's fine to try to kill critters for the great noble cause of freeing them up for other hunters or whatever, but understand what it will get you. No one likes people that try to regulate hunting areas (see Slowdog and his hundred characters), and just because they are being selfish for hogging critters does not mean you aren't a jerk for interfering. If that person was there first then he/she was there first. No room or critter is owned by anyone, that is a rule established by GMs to keep things fair and solve certain conflicts. At the same time there is still a certain level of etiquette when it comes to killing critters others are hunting.

Sometimes I hog critters for awhile without killing them for the sole purpose of filling up favor orbs with experience. When you start getting more favors it takes a lot more experience and for me the best way to get that experience is by dancing in intercessors. So yeah, come and attack my critters all you want, it'll just result in your death. You keep attacking despite me telling you to stop then you die. Don't initiate conflict with someone if you aren't willing to follow through with it either (Gonif).

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/17/2012 03:17 AM CDT
>>When I go to intercessors I hog spawn to mind lock the parry skill (annoying to train in Assassins) for 3-4'ish minutes. Doesn't take long at all. I don't train my top melee weapon there because I'm likely to get 'open rolled' if I stay there for too long, since intercessors seem to do it often.

3-4 minutes is fine, timespan is a very important factor, IMO. I will also often hog 4 critters to lock all my armors, but that usually only takes around 6 minutes, and while I am doing it I HUNT a couple times between to make sure everyone has critters to engage.

>>People have different reasons for training the way they do. It's fine to try to kill critters for the great noble cause of freeing them up for other hunters or whatever, but understand what it will get you. No one likes people that try to regulate hunting areas (see Slowdog and his hundred characters), and just because they are being selfish for hogging critters does not mean you aren't a jerk for interfering. If that person was there first then he/she was there first. No room or critter is owned by anyone, that is a rule established by GMs to keep things fair and solve certain conflicts. At the same time there is still a certain level of etiquette when it comes to killing critters others are hunting.

As with all things, measure of degree is important. I've played Empaths, Necros, and survival primaries (stealth). There is no reason to camp 4 critters for a half hour, it's just lazy. The reason it pisses me off so much is because it's also extremely inefficient for the person doing it.

It's not hard to write a script that switches between stuff, I do it using only match tables.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 11:07 AM CDT
locking defenses is one thing...standing there for an hour or so afking it to lock your stuff seems a bit unreasonable. Again, last night i went to zealots because someone was in shalswar being spawnhoggish for over 30 minutes. doing great then my favorite ranger shows up and does HIS statue act. GM's should let us move people into safe spots who are afking and spawn hogging. or outright kill them XD
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 11:15 AM CDT
>>GM's should let us move people into safe spots who are afking and spawn hogging. or outright kill them XD

Suddenly, every GM who has to deal with policy issues got a headache.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 11:18 AM CDT
>>GM's should let us move people into safe spots who are afking and spawn hogging

Report -> Move on. If they don't get snatched up, then they aren't AFK. If they aren't AFK, feel free to be your (general you) usual charming self, and just slaughter their mobs.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 12:17 PM CDT
i dont think i've ever actually killed anyone's spawn but last night i was tempted to go in and wreck the house.
if they aren't afk whats the point of sitting there doing absolutely nothing with four mobs on you for hours on end?
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 12:53 PM CDT
>>if they aren't afk whats the point of sitting there doing absolutely nothing with four mobs on you for hours on end?

I'm not saying it's an efficient way to train, but it isn't an explicit admission of being afk. I used to sit around in crocs and black leucros forever, just because I didn't care that much about moving combats and cared more about my defenses. Could I have moved both? Of course. Did I know better? Not really, I guess!

Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 02:06 PM CDT
>>and while I am doing it I HUNT a couple times between to make sure everyone has critters to engage.

My character couldn't care less if others have critters to engage. Good for you (and presumingly those in your hunting area) that you make sure everyone gets their critters.

>>There is no reason to camp 4 critters for a half hour, it's just lazy.

I've gone for long enough where someone would question why I'm not killing critters, and that was simply because of favor orbs.

I don't see one problem in this entire thread. I will run down the list again.

1. If you think someone is AFK or abusing a bug AND it bothers you, report them and move on.

2. If you want to interact with them IC'ly, then do so.

3. If you just want to kill their critters, then do so.

4. If you address them and they don't respond, then goto #1 or #3

5. If you think critter spawn in your area needs to be tweaked, post on the boards.

Not sure if it can get any simpler than that.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 02:14 PM CDT
>>Not sure if it can get any simpler than that.

+1 on this. Vee-Rex covered all the options rather expertly.

Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 06:52 PM CDT
I don't think anyone is saying it's complicated, they're/we're simply stating what we do. As someone who has been attacked for moving in on someone's critters 10s of minutes after notifying them I was joining the hunt (i.e., they came back from being AFK), I think it's perfectly reasonable to state why you will act this way
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 08:22 PM CDT
Well said Vinjince.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Just lookin for a little TM 09/18/2012 09:50 PM CDT
If you must AFK script (and this is not directed to anyone, so I'm not being snarky for once), please do everyone a favor and either use a FE that supports a 'talk' window functionality, or set up your current FE to do so. Genie is mindbogglingly easy to do so (in fact, I think it defaults to having one), and I believe SF has this functionality?

Basically it keeps you from coming back from AFK scripting and looking like a hulk-rage-moron screaming 'u kil mah fritters!' and attacking people.

Personally I use a chat window, and a talk/say/etc. conversation window. Means I don't have to struggle in high-scroll rooms/situations. Does mean I might miss subtle nuances like anything that isn't spoken, in said high scroll rooms. But meh.

Prev_page Previous 1