Prev_page Previous 1
Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 07:23 AM CST
I think that if a person is 'open', they should not be able to avoid drags. For instance, if a person is stunned and they are 'open', i think that they should not have such a fail proof safety net to protect them from being dragged through moongates.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 07:32 AM CST
Or at the very least, if a person is set to heavy rp.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 08:01 AM CST
I disagree.

the only thing that would encourage is griefing someone when they are dead. If they are dead, that's it. You, or someone else has managed to turn them into a corpse. That's sufficient.

We all play this game to have fun, open, guarded or closed. playing to grief others isn't RP.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 10:33 AM CST
I don't see it as any different than people who go around and kill people who are open just because they are open. I see this happen all the time. I don't like it, but that's a consequence of being open. The amount of grief that a person is willing to accept is dictated by their stance (open, guarded, or closed).
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 10:53 AM CST
If DRAG was a skill/stat check, I might agree with you.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 11:32 AM CST
>If DRAG was a skill/stat check, I might agree with you.

To an extent it is a stat contest AFAIK, although it could simply be a STR v the weight of the target check.

>I don't see it as any different than people who go around and kill people who are open just because they are open. I see this happen all the time. I don't like it, but that's a consequence of being open. The amount of grief that a person is willing to accept is dictated by their stance (open, guarded, or closed).

I think you misinterpret the intent of PVP Open - it means the player is willing to accept the consequences of PVP without GM involvement. The AVOID settings are not linked to PVP stance and rightly so. Just because someone is PVP Open doesn't mean you have carte blanche to grief them, and AVOIDs are specifically there for those who wish to avoid such cheesy tactics as being dragged through moongates and having Empaths join and RP them.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/05/2012 06:59 PM CST
This seems reasonable. I can see it go either way.
Re: Open Stance and RP 05/07/2012 10:34 PM CDT
Uhm.... Completely disagree.
This would cause major problems. I consider going Open PvP occasionally once my training is complete and I'd be damned if I'm going to be forced un-draggable so people could grief and send me via gates (not that I'd complain anyway since I can just gate myself back). But wouldn't be fair as a whole to the community just because some players actually deserve being dragged out into the middle of nowhere.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/10/2013 08:08 AM CST
Honestly, I have to disagree. PvP open means you are willing to have a fight with someone if it comes to that in the rp without the GMS getting in the middle of it. ((Like refusing to have a refree when you are playing basketball with another somebody.) So dragging someone JUST because their profile says it's open, isn't rp. It's PvP killing spree because you're open. Which has no rp basis to it. So it's wrong, so avoiding this to the best ability possible, is fair.

>"That's their weakness, the foolish belief that they're in control, I'll be their downfall...."
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 05:43 AM CST
>>PvP open means you are willing to have a fight with someone if it comes to that in the rp without the GMS getting in the middle of it.<<

No. Open means Open. Period. It does not have to have anything to do with RP. If you want to be all about the RP and not at all about the PvP, then set RP Heavy and PvP Closed, just be sure to never irritate, aggravate, or otherwise do anything annoying or upsetting to or with anyone that might take offense to your words or deeds that could result in a PvP conflict.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 09:53 AM CST
>>It does not have to have anything to do with RP.

One would hope that everything a character does in the game has to do with RP.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 12:20 PM CST
>One would hope that everything a character does in the game has to do with RP.

Not always, that's why there is.

4. NONE (Not Really My Thing) - This setting indicates that you do not actively engage in roleplay nor do you wish for others to attempt to roleplay with you. Note that even those with this flag must respect the game environment and attempt to remain in-genre and avoid discussing blatantly out of character references within the game. This setting is appropriate for people who consider themselves casual gamers who just want to log on and play the game, or who are only interested in training and advancement with little to no in-character socialization.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 01:08 PM CST
>PvP open means you are willing to have a fight with someone if it comes to that in the rp

Pretty sure that's PvP Guarded. From what I've heard, nobody uses it because most people just equate it to PvP Closed to avoid debates about how much RP needs to happen before the fight can start.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 01:49 PM CST
>>Not always, that's why there is

>>4. NONE (Not Really My Thing) - This setting indicates that you do not actively engage in roleplay nor do you wish for others to attempt to roleplay with you.

IMO someone set to RP:None should also be forced to play as PVP:Closed for anyone with an RP setting light or higher. To me it's the same as someone PvP:Closed trying to start fights with people PvP:Open.

If you don't want to put your share of work/commitment into the interaction you shouldn't be given the opportunity to have it in either situation.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 01:53 PM CST
>If you don't want to put your share of work/commitment into the interaction you shouldn't be given the opportunity to have it in either situation.

I think that being interested in mechanics and pvp, without being much for the 'larping' as people put it, is a valid desire in the game. Not to the point of chatting about the latest sportsteamgame thing, but still, not wanting to really RP much, but enjoying level gaining, moderate interaction, and PVP, is cool.

Pants.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 01:59 PM CST
>>but still, not wanting to really RP much, but enjoying level gaining, moderate interaction, and PVP, is cool.

Never said it wasn't. Just like I think there's nothing wrong with people who only want to RP and never want to PvP.

The issue I see is when people set as PVP:Closed think they should be able to fight PVP:Open people. At the same time, I think it's only fair/reasonable that people who have little/no interest in RP shouldn't have the go-ahead to PVP with someone interested in RP, even if they're PVP open. It's a lopsided give/get situation, just like the former example with the PVP closed guy.

Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 02:06 PM CST
>The issue I see is when people set as PVP:Closed think they should be able to fight PVP:Open people. At the same time, I think it's only fair/reasonable that people who have little/no interest in RP shouldn't have the go-ahead to PVP with someone interested in RP, even if they're PVP open. It's a lopsided give/get situation, just like the former example with the PVP closed guy.

Not really, if the PvP: Open RP: None guy decides to kill the PvP:Open RP:Heavy guy because he "smells" funny is perfectly valid. Most of you LARPers would get upset about it because no RP was established, but it's perfectly within the RP None person's rights and that shouldn't change. By going PvP Open you're Open to PvPing regardless of the reason.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 02:35 PM CST
>>IMO someone set to RP:None should also be forced to play as PVP:Closed for anyone with an RP setting light or higher. To me it's the same as someone PvP:Closed trying to start fights with people PvP:Open.

My personal opinion is the same, but I recognize that not everyone feels the same, and do not feel my opinion should be reflected in policy. PvP Stance and Rp Stance are unrelated for some people: they just wanna come in and gank others while they hunt with no previous interaction. That's all perfectly fine with me, as long as they stay in their own little ganking circles.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 02:52 PM CST
>My personal opinion is the same, but I recognize that not everyone feels the same, and do not feel my opinion should be reflected in policy.

Which is why it's separated in the first place. If it was intended to be the suggested way I'm sure the profile/policy would be different.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 02:53 PM CST
>>Not really, if the PvP: Open RP: None guy decides to kill the PvP:Open RP:Heavy guy because he "smells" funny is perfectly valid.

Except RP:None says he isn't RPing. How can he say it's because the person smells funny. Per his profile, he's not roleplaying.

>>Most of you LARPers

Yes, we're aware you have no clue what LARP means, which only goes to show that you're not giving anything into the relationship, just like someone PVP:Closed starting stuff with someone PVP:Open.

>>By going PvP Open you're Open to PvPing regardless of the reason.

Except PVP:Open folks tend to bring up time and time again how unfair and rude and wrong and terrible it is when someone PVP:Closed or PVP:Guarded starts with them, even if it doesn't result in PVP.

Why do you feel PVP:Open players have a valid complaint about PVP:Closed and PVP:Guarded players yet RP:High players don't have a valid complaint about RP:None players?

>>That's all perfectly fine with me, as long as they stay in their own little ganking circles.

Pretty much my stance on it. PVP:Open/RP:None folks should stick to their own just like they expect PVP:Guarded/RP:High people to leave them alone.

Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:10 PM CST
>Except RP:None says he isn't RPing. How can he say it's because the person smells funny. Per his profile, he's not roleplaying.

Ok fine, the RP: None can switch to RP: Light and say "he smells" therefor I killed him. Per his profile he's lightly RPing when he wants to. Is that better?

>Yes, we're aware you have no clue what LARP means, which only goes to show that you're not giving anything into the relationship, just like someone PVP:Closed starting stuff with someone PVP:Open.

I know what LARPing is, PvP:Closed attacking PvP:Open is akin to RP:None attempting to jump in an RP scenario with RP: Heavies, not PvP vs RP. PvP: Open people aren't QQing about a RP: Heavy shooting them like what's involved in this discussion.

>Except PVP:Open folks tend to bring up time and time again how unfair and rude and wrong and terrible it is when someone PVP:Closed or PVP:Guarded starts with them, even if it doesn't result in PVP.

See above. PvP Stance != RP Stance. PvP Open are complaining about PvP: Closed because PvP closed specifically means they don't want to PvP.

>Why do you feel PVP:Open players have a valid complaint about PVP:Closed and PVP:Guarded players yet RP:High players don't have a valid complaint about RP:None players?

Apples and Oranges, that's why I feel there is a valid complaint. If RP: Heavy want to complain about RP: None invading their LARP event have at it. That's not what's happening though.

>Pretty much my stance on it. PVP:Open/RP:None folks should stick to their own just like they expect PVP:Guarded/RP:High people to leave them alone.

RP stance from none to light about to blow your mind.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:15 PM CST
>>Is that better?

It matters. Is "rp: light/medium" the same as "pvp: guarded"? Should they be forced PVP: Heavy and become obligated to roleplay out a conflict instead of just gun and run, just like we want PVP:Closed/Guarded people to be forced PVP:Open when they start a conflict?

>>I know what LARPing is

Not really, no.

>>PvP:Closed attacking PvP:Open is akin to RP:None attempting to jump in an RP scenario with RP: Heavies

Exactly.

So unless you assume someone PVP:Open and RP:Heavy select which they are at any given time, RP:Closed should never interact with RP:Heavy, despite both being PVP:Open.

>>PvP: Open people aren't QQing about a RP: Heavy shooting them like what's involved in this discussion.

No, you're/they're QQing about how they shouldn't have to roleplay at all if they want to shoot someone RP:Heavy/PVP:Open.

>>If RP: Heavy want to complain about RP: None invading their LARP event have at it. That's not what's happening though.

Well, yeah, all the complaining is coming from you.

>>RP stance from none to light about to blow your mind.

Way to go Guarded.

Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:20 PM CST
This reminds me of the two kids in the back of the bus one-upping with "my dad" retorts. #mydadisbigger

Madigan
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:23 PM CST
>>This reminds me of the two kids in the back of the bus one-upping with "my dad" retorts. #mydadisbigger

Where would that put you in the analogy? Kid in the front tut-tutting?

Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:27 PM CST
>It matters. Is "rp: light/medium" the same as "pvp: closed"?

RP Light/Medium is akin to PVP Guarded. None is akin to closed if you want to attempt at some modicum of comparison I suppose, though they're apples and oranges. One is a stance on Player vs Player (PvP) fights, the other would happen to be about Role Playing (RP)

>Should they be forced PVP: Heavy and become obligated to roleplay out a conflict instead of just gun and run, just like we want PVP:Closed/Guarded people to be forced PVP:Open when they start a conflict?

Again, still apples and oranges but sure if an RP: None shoots someone they can be changed to RP: Light? Not sure what that's solving, if a rule was enacted that a RP: None has to actually chose a different RP stance, the next logical choice would be Light since they RP when they want to and it's appeasing the LARPers that a RP: None shot them for no reason, now the RP: Light shot them for smelling.

>Not really, no.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8VMNymEPA

>So unless you assume someone PVP:Open and RP:Heavy select which they are at any given time, RP:Closed should never interact with RP:Heavy, despite both being PVP:Open.

Both are Open to PvP, if None wants to shoot Heavy he can?

>Well, yeah, all the complaining is coming from you.

You should re-read your complaining posts IMO.

>Way to go Guarded.

Good old apples and oranges.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:28 PM CST
>This reminds me of the two kids in the back of the bus one-upping with "my dad" retorts. #mydadisbigger

Where's your dad up in the mix Mad Madigan?
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:42 PM CST

Oh look, another Profile thread.

Conflicts folder is up a few. Let's keep it civil.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 03:58 PM CST
>>Oh look, another Profile thread.

Annwyl, I know you may not appreciate it since it's your domain, but if there is one good thing the profile system has done it is moving of what I imagine is a fair number of 'conversations' form the GM consultation suite, to board pissing matches.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 04:40 PM CST
>>I think that being interested in mechanics and pvp, without being much for the 'larping' as people put it, is a valid desire in the game. Not to the point of chatting about the latest sportsteamgame thing, but still, not wanting to really RP much, but enjoying level gaining, moderate interaction, and PVP, is cool.

You're correct. You don't need to roleplay as long as you're not disrupting the roleplay atmosphere of the game. In practice this usually comes off as at least a small amount of roleplaying (anytime your character opens his mouth he's subject to a minimal RP standard) but if you want to just mutely hunt and watch numbers go up then go for it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 04:54 PM CST
>You don't need to roleplay as long as you're not disrupting the roleplay atmosphere of the game. In practice this usually comes off as at least a small amount of roleplaying (anytime your character opens his mouth he's subject to a minimal RP standard)

You heard it from Armifer: roleplay or shut up!

KIDDING!

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 04:57 PM CST
In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the noob behind the PvP Guarded that think reporting saves him, rather than he be reporting them.
- Armifer
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 08:34 PM CST
<<Where's your dad up in the mix Mad Madigan?

#ChuckNorris

Madigan
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 08:38 PM CST
>>#ChuckNorris

These are message boards with no search function and a population of MUSH players who still use AIM to chat. Your sudden decision to use twitter humor might be lost on this crowd!
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 08:41 PM CST
>>These are message boards with no search function and a population of MUSH players who still use AIM to chat

I didn't know AIM still existed until I returned from a 3-4 year hiatus from DR.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 09:17 PM CST
>These are message boards with no search function and a population of MUSH players who still use AIM to chat. Your sudden decision to use twitter humor might be lost on this crowd!

Uh, this isn't twitter humor. Chuck Norris jokes were stale in WoW and other MMOs before twitter was even written. Unless you meant the hash tag. And then he could still be confused since I see people doing that on facebook.

FACEBOOK DOES NOT HAVE TRENDING STATUSES PEOPLE.

Pants.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 10:28 PM CST
#ChuckNorris beat up #AlGore and stole your Twitter humor and your internets.

#ChuckNorris LARP's with real swords.

#ChuckNorris is PvP Awesome and RP Beyond You.

To make this thread someone relevant, I always get asked "How do you adjust your armor". Type SHAKE MY (armor) or SHAKE MY PLATE.

Madigan
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 10:35 PM CST
Or, you know ADJUST it.

>adjust plate
>
You adjust your full plate into place.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/12/2013 11:57 PM CST
>>Uh, this isn't twitter humor. Chuck Norris jokes were stale in WoW and other MMOs before twitter was even written. Unless you meant the hash tag. And then he could still be confused since I see people doing that on facebook.

Yes, I was referring to the sudden spurt of referential hash tag jokes, not the fact that it was Chuck Norris in that particular instance. Totally a twitter thing.
Re: Open Stance and RP 02/13/2013 11:16 AM CST

Back on topic or end it.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Open Stance and RP 03/13/2013 03:41 AM CDT
Wtb less talking, more killing for no reason.

~Nefidyne

>
Kssarh gestures at you.
Two Ranger journeymen materialize out of the surrounding trees and begin to whisper to Kssarh as they escort him out of the area.
Prev_page Previous 1