Prev_page Previous 1
Treehouse 03/04/2003 01:58 PM CST
Yeesh. Guess I better sit my butt down today and do some updating. Bunch of pictures sitting in my email inbox, I'll get them added.

Uploaded an update to the circle calc, both the page itself and the main calc JS routine. The general survival wasn't calculating properly, due to my telling the calc it was 2/4/4/5 or whatever per circle ... but forgot the calculator wouldn't be taking into account that this is "each for 14 skills". Heh, oops. So I multiplied the numbers by 14 and reloaded, it calcs the right way now. Also, there was a slight glitch (now gone) where if you entered 70th circle the two lores would show up with 0, fixed that problem. If you have legacy skills checked, they will still show, as always.

I will be switching all the pages over to the new copies I have on my hard drive, which use the same tricks my pics page and Taffei's Vegas pics page do. This will mean that when I make upgrades to the site layout, I can change JUST one central JS file and the pages will auto-update themselves, rather than me having to go through and update the link tree on each page manually. Unfortunately, this means those aren't using a recent version of Netscape or relatively recent version of MSIE (it worked fine with MSIE 5.5 on my laptop) might have a problem if their browser doesn't support innerHTML controls for spans. If you notice the link tree at the top and bottom of the page disappear, or you get some sort of strange Java errors ... chances are that's why. If there's enough of those who have trouble with it, I will look into doing as Micwolf did and make a dual-version of the site ... Java and No-Java.

But according to the site hit statistics, over 70% are using MSIE 6.0 or later so for now I go with the majority and use the tools that make life easier for me. :-D (lazy people are the most efficient ... go figure)

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 02:16 PM CST
Do you have a preference for the size and format of the images?

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 02:16 PM CST
When posting updates post ya link :oP

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 02:17 PM CST
And do it quick. We are tired of waiting for your lazy rear.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 02:34 PM CST
>>Sylvado>>Do you have a preference for the size and format of the images?

I have a criteria I use for keeping the file size down, in order to save webspace and to make DL's a bit more painless for the viewers. But don't sweat it, just send me the pics as-is. I move them over to PSP and crop them, then do a color count and see if I can drop the color resolution (bit depth) any, resize then save the modified version and upload that one. This way, I also make sure all are JPG's just to be consistent.

Send em as-is, I will make the necessary modifications. If anyone is ever unhappy with how I may have cropped their pic, just lemme know and we will work something out.

>>Webba>>When posting updates post ya link :oP

How about you just update your damned bookmarks and USE them? <flail>

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerPics.html

>>Arct>>And do it quick. We are tired of waiting for your lazy rear.

Coming from the man who started at LEAST a year before I did but I am about to pass them in circles, all I can say is ...

:-P

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 02:50 PM CST
Try more then a year. And I had several ummmm....extended vacations due to things not under my direct control at the time in order to avoid the consequences of actions taken from days past before I met DR.

Arctuniol

Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 03:07 PM CST
Try more then a year. And I had several ummmm....extended vacations due to things not under my direct control at the time in order to avoid the consequences of actions taken from days past before I met DR.Arctuniol

Same here been here since 98 (after coming back from the web migration) and only have 2 years of consecutive play in :o(

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 03:08 PM CST
where's the circle stuff at?

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 03:23 PM CST
<flail>

<scribbles a note reminding himself to plant an arrow in Webba's back with a note attached to it that reads, "see a link, BOOKMARK it!">

:-P

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerCalc.html

For those who wonder, the above is also found by looking at the Scout's Guide, and following one of the supplemental links at the top of the page.

And, no, not all requests are handled this way ... only Webba's. <pokes Webba again, just because> Well, him, Falk, Arct and a select few others, just because I can. :-D

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 03:52 PM CST
For those who wonder, the above is also found by looking at the Scout's Guide, and following one of the supplemental links at the top of the page.

Why isn't there a link for it on every page?

And, no, not all requests are handled this way ... only Webba's. <pokes Webba again, just because> Well, him, Falk, Arct and a select few others, just because I can. :-D
~~~Krin

I love you too krinnie pooh

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 06:10 PM CST
>>Webba>>Why isn't there a link for it on every page?

Because then the pages would be cluttered and unmanagable. You know ... like your room. :-P

Instead, the link nav bars only list the main sections. Those sections which have subsections of their own (such as the 4 under Scout Guide and the one, so far, under Herbology 101) will have links to those subsections shown as an additional nav bar beneath the main one when traveling any pages within that section.

This is so the pages stay relatively uncluttered, while still being able to jump to any section at any time ... and any subsection within the same section you're currently in. A halfway point to get the best of both worlds.

You know ... like when the did the genetic experiment with a human and a mutt and got a Webba ... humanoid and loyal but not too bright. <ducks and RUNS!>

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse 03/04/2003 06:11 PM CST
Oops, forgot the main reason I came here to post. <mutter>

Updates are up. New pics loaded and a couple old ones were changed at the request of the owners, using better or more current ones. So make sure you check all of them, some you THINK you've seen already you really haven't.

~~~Krin
Kerrrash! The Treehouse exp calc revisited! 03/04/2003 07:21 PM CST
Krin...remember my disclaimer about naturally crashing things? ;)

Went to type 22 into the calculator, but forgot the Wizard turns Num Lock off. I hit the keypad down arrow twice, and IE crashed. Out of curiosity, I went back and did it 4 more times.

I think it's more me using a 6 year-old computer than your web site, but I don't crash IE anywhere else. <g>
Re: Kerrrash! The Treehouse exp calc revisited! 03/04/2003 10:05 PM CST
It's definitely your computer bud. I got that angle covered and it shouldn't have crashed. It detects keypresses and assesses the value of the circle entered every time you press a key while the circle box is active (has the focus). It takes the numerical value of whatever's in the box. This means it reads the box left-to-right and stops as soon as it hits the first non-numerical character. If the end result is 0 or NaN (not a number, in JScript terminology), it is automatically replaced with 1.

I tried it several times on mine, and it worked as intended ... gotta be your computer, MSIE version, OS ... or a combination of the above. Especially if you're either running a very old version of MSIE ... or trying to run the latest version under an old OS (MSIE is optimized for WinXP, although WinME shouldn't have a problem running it ... but Win98 will likely have serious fits).

Dunno what I can say besides ... time to upgrade. :-D

~~~Krin
Re: Kerrrash! The Treehouse exp calc revisited! 03/05/2003 04:31 AM CST
<<... or trying to run the latest version under an old OS>>

That's probably it.
Win98 six years old
And newest I. E.
Re: Kerrrash! The Treehouse exp calc revisited! 03/05/2003 05:37 AM CST
Krin,

Might want to test out your script on the latest version of Mozilla/Netscape...

I'm running v1.2.1 and the JScript isn't working.

-pete
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 08:26 AM CST
For some reason I can only see the first pic, wont let me get any of the others.

Raxxall
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 12:00 PM CST
<<For some reason I can only see the first pic, wont let me get any of the others.

Are you using the link at the bottom to scroll through the pics?

Falk

When things dont go your way: .report %1
Re: Kerrrash! The Treehouse exp calc revisited! 03/05/2003 01:10 PM CST
Those of you having trouble with the pics or the new page layouts ... do you have trouble with Smegul's calcs as well? IOW, when you enter a range of numbers at the top, does a chart appear showing all the per-skill requirements for each circle in that range, or is all you see the readout below the text entry window that tells you all your totals?

If you can't see the chart, then it is definitely your browser, since that chart is what inspired me to learn about this new JScript tool. If only HTML allowed me to reference cell contents within a table the same way it allows me to reference other page elements (such as links, pictures, form elements) I wouldn't need it. Also, I found out that although I can change the value of a hyperlink with JScript, I can't turn it off entirely ... the browser just ends up resetting it with a default link based on the page's address. <flail> So the "next" and "previous" links are also encoded with innerHTML, allowing me to turn them on/off ... and is why those who are having problems don't see them at all.

<sigh>

OK, I will hold off for now, and keep a close eye on the numbers. If that many people use non-MSIE browsers then I guess I may have to switch the link structure back to the old way. <ponders> Maybe if I learned Perl and made them active pages, the updating could be done server-side and I could avoid this problem ... have to go digging through the Yahoo!Web Hosting help files and see if they have any info on Perl support. <glances at the Perl self-teaching manual on the shelf> Well, guess it's sat there long enough, time to break it out.

Meantime, you Netscape users ARE using the most current version, right? Dang ... if you are, Smegul thought recent versions of Netscape did support innerHTML, and it shouldn't be a problem. Also check to make sure you don't have Java disabled in your browser controls. Mozilla was a known potential problem on this one. <mutter> Why does MSIE have to have all the cool toys, this innerHTML thing really makes building an active page more simplified.

I will also look at coming up with a different layout for the pics page that doesn't use the JScript tools.

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 01:17 PM CST
>>Falk>>Are you using the link at the bottom to scroll through the pics?

If their browser is failing to run the innerHTML changes to the page contents, then they wont have a "previous" or "next" link, nor will they have the dropdown menu that allows them to select specific pics. All those are "drawn" onto the page after it is loaded by the JScript, using innerHTML.

The reason for that is so I can change that lower dropdown menu to match the selections of each group when you change groups using the upper dropdown menu (which currently only has one item in it ... over on Taffei's Vegas pics page it has something like ten).

So they would see just the one pic and no way to change pics. <flail>

I have some ideas how I might be able to make a substitute page that will enable the non-compliant browsers to see the pics without having to trash the one I got there already.

Gimme some time, I'm working on it.

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 02:20 PM CST
What's the link again?

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 03:37 PM CST
When I tried it would only let me see every other picture.

And yes the links to the next/previous pictures were there.

I need the link again too.

Dulci
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 03:41 PM CST
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerPics.html
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 03:54 PM CST
Erm boy do I hate to say this but Moriath looks like an ex of mine from college <G>. And Muely, I don't think you should pass gas during any events again. Specially when it is cought on film. Caltorak reminds me of a hillbilly. You can definately tell those are Drytz's kids. Falk's parents had to pay that girl an awefull lot to get her to go with him to the prom. Fearsome don't look too fearsome and frosc looks like friggin Vanilla Ice. Harome is too scary I won't make fun of him. Luxthor needs to loosen up a bit, god knows what we will do with pretty boy pathyn, sarvatt get some hair. I think we can all agree Krinahd takes the cake for most ugly. Dragaera looks like she services our country...well she does, you know she is military.

Motarra, we definately need to get you a camera you can put up a few feet further back from you. I can't say anything about Tanshar he has a dog. Can someone talk larzul into cutting his hair, and me, well I am just plain ugly and pathetic, half cheesed as well. So you can all make fun of me. I have decided Izzit is my new buddy. Guiness is a tolerable dark beer when a good one is not around. I could say something bad about Seranth but I won't, because umm...she is a girl....

Okay I am done.

Arctuniol

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 04:20 PM CST
<<And Muely, I don't think you should pass gas during any events again.>>

Ya I know! Think of all those people behind me!

Muely
(I swear I was just making a funny face, and that is how it turned out! I don't even remember giving that look, but the camera caught it and there it is...some said I looked like popeye, but Krin's additional comment fitted.
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 04:55 PM CST
<<Falk's parents had to pay that girl an awefull lot to get her to go with him to the prom

Wonder how much they paid her to date me for 5 months. I should ask.

Falk

Re: Kerrrash! The Treehouse exp calc revisited! 03/05/2003 05:21 PM CST
>>Meantime, you Netscape users ARE using the most current version, right? Dang ... if you are, Smegul thought recent versions of Netscape did support innerHTML, and it shouldn't be a problem. Also check to make sure you don't have Java disabled in your browser controls. Mozilla was a known potential problem on this one. <mutter>

Smegul didn't work either.

Mozilla v1.2.1 is based off a newer version of the shared codebase than Netscape's latest release is.

Javascript is enabled.

>>Why does MSIE have to have all the cool toys, this innerHTML thing really makes building an active page more simplified.

Likely the same reason it has all the security holes it does. Frankly, I use Mozilla to have granular control over what a site can do with my browser and because of the better security track record.

Yours and Smegul are the only sites I've run into so far that doesn't work in Mozilla.

-pete
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 05:45 PM CST
>Wonder how much they paid her to date me for 5 months. I should ask.

Ok..ok..I promised I wouldn't say it. Sorry Falk I gotta set the record straight. The young lady was sentenced to Community Service by Alameda County Court. Her "sentence" was to spend time with the "Falk-meister" and make him appear to be witty, charming and able to get a woman of her caliber.
Sorry pal but the truth must be set free. ;P

BTW-You live in the East bay right? Where in the east bay?

Grisleaf "Sick & Twisted"
"It's always a good day to die."
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 05:47 PM CST
<<BTW-You live in the East bay right? Where in the east bay?

I dont even live in the bay. :(

Falk

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 05:48 PM CST
You don't live in the bay? Please don't tell me you're from Concord?

Gris

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 05:51 PM CST
LOL, hell no.

I live in a small town south of sac. Isleton. I'm like directly in the middle of Sac., lodi, fairfeild, and pittsburg.

Falk

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 05:53 PM CST
Rigggghhhhtt...It's ok I know you live in Dixon.

Gris

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 06:03 PM CST
BTW-You live in the East bay right? Where in the east bay?

No he doesn't live in the city, he lives out in the hicks and doesn't even have a street sign!

Griz are you from the bayarea because if you are you gotta come to the gathering this weekend!

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 06:31 PM CST
Falk's adorable. He's one of the few I could actually see.

Dulci
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 06:39 PM CST
ooooo

I can see everyone now <bounce>

Dulci
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 07:06 PM CST
>Griz are you from the bayarea because if you are you gotta come to the gathering this weekend!

Alas Jren I am no longer from the "Yay-area" I went to school in Hayward (St. Clements), Benicia (St. Dominics), Vallejo (St. Patricks-St. Vincents) and lastly San Francisco (SFSU). I then moved away from the bay to Roseville just north of Sacto where I decided being a foreman in the production of Cruise Ship boilers wasn't for me, and I up and joined the good old US Navy. I've since left the Navy and am living in the great arctic region known as upstate NY. But soon, very soon I'll be relocating to the south...Cary, NC here I come.
Next time I'm out there visiting all my friends in promotions I'll be sure to give you all a shout and we can meet up and toss a couple dozen back.
I appreciate the invite and hope one day I can meet all of you. Have fun and have a Jack and Coke on me!

Gris/Mike

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 07:07 PM CST
>Falk's adorable. He's one of the few I could actually see.

see...doing what? Wearing pink wonder woman underoos while riding a bouncy bounce on a slip and slide?

Gris

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 07:14 PM CST
<<Falk's adorable. He's one of the few I could actually see.

<blushes> thanks hun.

Now send in a pic! Our collection grows daily as more ppl learn about the site.

Falk

Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 07:36 PM CST
I will. I might get some done this weekend. Got a family thing to dress up and go to.
Re: Treehouse 03/05/2003 08:32 PM CST
>Got a family thing to dress up and go to.

A mumu, a sun hat and a tie dyed feather boa don't count hun.

Grisleaf
<runs off failing at his giggling imitaion or is it imitation giggling>

"Giggling a cheap imitation of the real thing"
Prev_page Previous 1