Prev_page Previous 1 3 4
Update 01/02/2003 01:51 PM CST
Magic page is up. Check it out, tell me what you think. Thanks to Luce for loaning me some web space, get the heck away from AOL.

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/MagicNotes.html
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/TrailNotes.html

Rest of the site will be up, piece by piece. Trails page is already moved over (link above), I will add a portal page soon, to make things easier, and have several other pages already being planned.

~~~Krin
Re: Update 01/02/2003 04:37 PM CST
Nice site Krin. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Duli/Articus
Re: Update 01/05/2003 12:00 PM CST
Great job on your site Krin! This will be a great help.

Naturn
Re: Update 01/22/2003 04:51 AM CST
One word SWEET....hehehe....good site Krin, I'm sure it will help a many of folks.

Takei
House of Shiningmoon
Treehouse Update 01/25/2003 12:06 AM CST
The Treehouse has been updated. Now, there's a main page to bounce all the others from:

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerNotes.html

If you leave of the file name and let the server try to pull up the default file, a temp page will reroute you to the right place. A basic tree has been established for the site, to be fleshed out later. Most have at least a placeholder tho a couple still have dead links until I put together placeholder pages for them.

Also, a bonus. One of my first JScript projects was a reminder chart for what herb heals where. It was just a bunch of radio buttons to click on and a single text box readout, but I have always wanted to make it something more. After spending all day today making the graphic basically how I wanted it, I put the page together. Let me know what you all think:

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/HerbChart.html

When the Herbology page is actually built, I'll link it there. For now, the above direct link will work fine. You should also be able to save the page locally on your hard drive and it will work fine. The JavaScript is relatively short and is all built into the page, so there are no additional files it needs. I just have this thing for all-in-one packages, heh.

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse Update 01/25/2003 01:14 PM CST
ohhhh very nice jscript reference there Krin...

wish i woulda had one like that when i started instead of the page of scribbled notes i made on the herbs...course dont help much now that i have em all memorized but if i were a young rangah id keep that page up when i was playing

but still an excellent job!!

Izzit
Master Tanner in Training
Re: Treehouse Update 01/26/2003 03:09 PM CST
Krin! get the archery page done... the ONLY reason i ever went to HER place was to remind myself of wood caps, etc. I can't find another site that deals with fletching and wood caps post-change...

or any suggestions?
muras
Re: Treehouse Update 01/26/2003 03:24 PM CST
<<<I can't find another site that deals with fletching and wood caps post-change...>>>

The Wolfs Den has post change fletching on it in the ranger section.

Asterid
Re: Treehouse Update 01/26/2003 03:39 PM CST
ah. so it does. ducks

um... krin? update it anyway, of only cuz i hate to be wrong... *winks at asterid*
Re: Treehouse Update 01/26/2003 11:59 PM CST
Post-change wood caps?

The wood caps didn't change. Each wood still caps at the same ranks it did before. Now whether that still holds true after Fletching 2, we will have to see.

Now if you are referring to the appraisal values, that's a different story. ;-)

But the archery page and the beginnings of the tanning page are next on my to-do list. The archery page will contain more than just fletching/tillering though, that will only be part of it.

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse Update 01/27/2003 08:41 AM CST
>>But the archery page and the beginnings of the tanning page are next on my to-do list. The archery page will contain more than just fletching/tillering though, that will only be part of it.

One of the things missing from the wolf den that was in the handbook was the mech lore needed for the different wood types. Might be nice to have that on your site.

-pete
Re: Treehouse Update 01/27/2003 01:13 PM CST
>>pete>>One of the things missing from the wolf den that was in the handbook was the mech lore needed for the different wood types. Might be nice to have that on your site.

Hrm. That might be a tad difficult since I have always worked mech lore pretty hard and stayed ahead of the curve. But I will see what I can do. For now I mainly planned to use Delg's wood charts (with permission, I actually asked him less than a week ago :-D). They've never failed me and to coin a favorite phrase, 'why reinvent the wheel'?

~~~Krin
Re: Treehouse Update 01/27/2003 04:09 PM CST
well, now, krin, that's exactly the info i was interested in... i didn't know if the wood caps had changed. thanks.
Re: Treehouse Update 02/07/2003 05:18 AM CST
Nice site there for the herbs, me sure it will make it easier for some folks. Keeps up the good work.

Takei
House of Shiningmoon
Re: Update 02/14/2003 06:39 AM CST
I love it. Great site Krin. I've been gone a couple years. With the help of other rangers and your site, I think I'm back on the road to a great adventure.

All rangers should take a look at this site. Even if you already know everything on the site, it was put together very well, and deserves a congrats!

Thanks again Krin
Re: Update 02/14/2003 02:35 PM CST
Speaking of which, the site's been updated a few times. I try to sit down a couple hours each day and get a little more work done. So keep checking back, it's a work in progress.

Side note: the "recipe" on the tanning page may or may not be correct. I meant to test it before posting and forgot ... but now that it's up, I want to just leave it. I typed it out from memory and my memory is notoriously foggy. So please, no hate mail if its incorrect, I will be verifying soon as I get a chance.

So much to do, so little time ...

Current project: a nice-looking circle calculator based on the old one I built but a bit more streamlined and accurate, complete with a feature or two suggested by the vic... er, guinea p... <cough> "beta-testers" of my first version. :D

Many thanks to Smegul whose calc gave me some ideas on how to rearrange the JScript and make it easier to do (while still leaving the door open for calcs for other Guilds). The main one being giving up on my old design of all Guilds in one page and just making one central JS file that each page loads (separate page for each Guild) and adding specific code to each page to customize for the Guild. Finding this to be MUCH easier than coding one central routine to handle it all.

Still, not bad for someone who just started learning JScript last year by picking up a book on it at Barnes and Noble, deciding it was time he learned JScript. Just gotta keep practicing, I guess.

~~~Krin
Re: Update 02/14/2003 02:38 PM CST
Oh, and one more thing ... all main pages should have placeholders now. If you get a 404 error from a link within the site, likely its a server problem, not a missing page.

And the herbology page has a link to the herb reminder I posted about a few weeks back, so no need for a direct link in case you forget it.

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerNotes.html

Other day I noticed I could set up custom error pages to override the standard 404 error. I might look into that soon.

~~~Krin
Re: Update 02/14/2003 03:12 PM CST
Hey Krin,

Just got cannot find page on Horses and Herbology 101 pages. Not sure if that is the server or what.

I wanted to say yeah those pagers look nice. Good Job and thanks.

The player of Timargnon/Peperic
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Update 02/14/2003 03:26 PM CST
<mutters>

The pages are there, but I found the problem. Gotta fix a few links. Keep forgetting that the Yahoo server is cap-sensitive and every now and then a link doesn't match and I didn't catch these.

I could just change the names of the HTML files to match the links (would be quicker, about 3 seconds) but then I would be breaking the format I use and could cause problems later. So I will just correct the links instead of changing the filenames.

Should be fixed shortly. Meanwhile, if you want to take a peek, click the link anyway and when the 404 page comes up, go to the address bar and change the letter h at the beginning of herbs and horses to an upper case H then hit enter ... the page will load fine.

~~~Krin
Re: Update 02/14/2003 03:45 PM CST
Double check the compatability of Opera, Mozilla, Konquerer, and as many other browsers as you can. You don't want issues with that.

It shouldn't be cap sensitive unless they are forcing you to use old style html, which I believe was upper case, then they went lower case, then it went either or. Now I think with XML it is upper case again.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Update 02/14/2003 03:58 PM CST
Yeesh. I'll see what I can do on that front, thanks for the heads-up, Arct. If I just switch to all lower-case and use underscores instead of caps to highlight names, would that make it safe enough?

The bug with the herbs/horses pages not coming up is fixed. Thank god for cut'n'paste, made updating 50+ links a snap. Still tempted to use frames or the like, but I won't, for now. Instead, I am thinking of using JScript to make the links dynamic so all I have to do is update one central file (like links.js) and have all pages update themselves.

And I stand corrected ... there are still a couple pages lacking placeholders, under Scout's Guide. The links for "Skills & Stats" and "Getting Started" sdtill need placeholders.

Also, I wouldn't click the link for the Ranger Calc, think I will be taking it down until the code is finished. Just a couple functions left to code then I can start testing it. Spent most of yesterday banging my head on a wall tracking down errors. I REALLY wish JScript had more comprehensive error reporting. Trying to track down why I get "object expected" only to find out it was because a single bracket was out of place, causing the JScript to be totally unloaded is really annoying when you have to dig through a hundred lines of code or so to do it.

~~~Krin
I know, Arct, I know ... just wait until I have to dig through tens of thousands of lines (if not millions) to find those errors ... but at least one would HOPE when working on those sorts of systems you get a lot better error messaging ... hell, even my Commodore 64 was better at error reporting than JScript is
Update 03/04/2003 10:38 PM CST
Uploaded some more stuff ...

Somehow I missed Seranth's pic in the last update, got that added. Added Muely and Moriath while I was at it.

Finally posted a page for Skills & Stats, a starting page for the Scout's Guide and a placeholder for Getting Started.

All pages have now been updated to use the new JScript to keep the nav bars top and bottom auto-updated from a single file. If all of a sudden the nav bars are gone ... that's why, and it's likely due to the version of your browser, although I think having Java disabled in your Internet Properties would do it too.

More to come ...

~~~Krin
Minor Update 03/13/2003 06:57 PM CST
Added 5 new pics to the pics page and restored the pages to using standard links at the top and bottom for the nav bars, rather than the new style I was trying out that wouldn't work on some people's browsers.

The pics page still uses that trick, going to try and set up a simpler page, similar to the old style Taffei used to use for pics pages, for those with incompatible browsers.

Also going to try and get a basic page up for the archery section sometime today. Almost seems a moot point with Fletching v2.0 in the works, but there are those who could likely use the information now, and it sounds like the information may still be usable for making "basic" bows, guess we'll just have to wait and see how the final system turns out.

~~~Krin
Another Update 03/20/2003 03:02 AM CST
Webba, it's your lucky day.

After deciding that I MUST figure out why the skill search routine worked in my old circle calc but caused the new one to crash, I decided I was going to get it to work. I spent 8+ hours of screaming, yelling, cursing, and whining ... almost giving up on the whole darned thing once or twice ... but it's finally done.

<dances happily>

The Ranger Circle Calculator is now fully live and functional. The "Difference" radio button and the "Paste your EXP ALL here." box, previously disabled, are now enabled. They've been tested and appear to be functioning fine. Now you can paste in your EXP and it will tell you what you need to reach the circle you have chosen.

Check it out, and tell me what you all think.

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerCalc.html

Sad part is how simple and silly the errors were once I found them. <mutter> Ah well, live and learn.

~~~Krin
note to self: in the future, make sure all FOR loops use separately-named counter variables so two different functions don't overwrite each others' loop counters, causing infinite loops <flail> also, remember to use "==" and not "=" in an IF statement to avoid overwriting your own variable when testing it <thwaps self>
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 09:20 AM CST
argh, I get it to paste in and all Krin, but I must be stupid, where is the button, or what do I do to get it to calculate? Right now I see my current skills pasted in, and what is required, and when I click the difference button, it all looks just the same. Am I supposed to see somewhere what I still need to work on?

Lyr, the dense
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 09:42 AM CST
You paste your exp in the box, type the circle you are trying for, and check the "difference" button, then it tells you what you need to get for that circle =)

Yuoree
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 09:50 AM CST
<<You paste your exp in the box, type the circle you are trying for, and check the "difference" button, then it tells you what you need to get for that circle =)>>

Does that work for you? Doesn't for me. :(

Lyr
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 10:03 AM CST
worked for me. Pasted in my exp in the spot for that, typed 38 into the spot for circle, and clicked the difference button. It then told me I will need 1 stalking, 3 leather armor, and 3 medium edged

Yuoree
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 10:21 AM CST
Did exactly that, just get all the requirements for the circle, not a difference. Am pasting in EXP ALL as it says. I guess it just does't like me. Thanks for help though!
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 10:22 AM CST
Worked for me. Someone teach me about 10 ranks of skinning, and I'm set for a major jump.

<gets busy>

~Dulci

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 10:23 AM CST
If it shows no difference, then you don't need anything to circle. Please note that these are the new reqs, which aren't yet in effect.

~Dulci

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 11:48 AM CST
I'm havin the same problem as Lyr. I pasted my exp all, typed in the circle that I wanted, clicked the difference button and it just shows me the requirements for that circle, not how much I need.
P.S the combat requirements seem really weak except for the primary weapon.
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 01:38 PM CST
yeah the calc is wrong when you want the difference. It keeps telling me I need 110 multi but I have well above 110. I was busting up laughing. Krin mussed up again. Can we all say loser! Just kidding bud, but it was a good attempt to put a face on our reqs. I rate that right up there with the Webba being a goodie goodie, it don't work.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 01:42 PM CST
It works fine for me. And that is all that matters.

-Taljin
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 02:13 PM CST
>>COUTUREM>>I pasted my exp all, typed in the circle that I wanted, clicked the difference button and it just shows me the requirements for that circle, not how much I need.

>>Arct>>yeah the calc is wrong when you want the difference

Newp. I just tested it again and even followed the same sequence of steps COUTUREM mentioned. It works fine, here. I was very careful and made sure to put in place enough trigger events to make sure all bases were covered.

Best I can figure is it's a browser problem. Those of you having trouble getting it to work, are you using MSIE? If not, what are you using?

Either way, I am not messing with it. It seems to work fine as long as you are running MSIE and I am sticking with my general rule: over 75% of the site hits are registering as MSIE 6.0 or compliant so that is what I am going with. Trying to cover every little browser someone might want to use means tripling the work and I just don't have the time or energy. They want to use the calc, they can spend the few minutes to install MSIE.

I know, Ryan, I hate MicroSlop too. But they DO have the best tools in some cases and I refuse to handicap myself over a grudge.

Someday I will have my VBasic compiler and be able to make a standalone EXE version of this. Meantime, this is what we have.

~~~Krin
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 02:18 PM CST
Oh ... just thought of something ... there may be another cause. The trigger which tells it to refigure your current skills and update the grid as necessary is an onKeyUp event. Basically, it assumes you are going to use a CTRL-V to paste the info. If you use Edit...Paste from the menu bar, it won't trigger. I could add that event but it gave me problems with my previous version, I'll try adding it again.

Meantime, try pasting in your skills and all that and if it doesn't respond ... try clicking on the PASTE EXP ALL box and press an arrow key on your keyboard in order to trigger the routine and tell it you have pasted something so it can update its database. In fact any key will do, as long as it doesn't change the text, but since I have it set to highlight the entire box's contents when selected and immediately following a keystroke the focus is taken away from it (that was more a testing feature, guess I could remove it) I would recommend ONLY using a cursor control key (like the arrow keys) or else you'll likely wipe out the text.

Let me know what happens then.

~~~Krin
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 02:23 PM CST
Krin,

When I use you calc (great site, BTW) it says that I need one more LE, however my secondary weapon is brawling (ME is primary) and I shouldn't need any with the new reqs. Is brawling no longer considered a weapon, or is the calculator not recognizing it? Thanks!

-Seck

"War must be...but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.."
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 02:30 PM CST
>>Seck>>When I use you calc (great site, BTW) it says that I need one more LE, however my secondary weapon is brawling (ME is primary) and I shouldn't need any with the new reqs. Is brawling no longer considered a weapon, or is the calculator not recognizing it? Thanks!

Would be the latter, I don't have brawling set as a recognized skill for a weapons req. Can anyone confirm it's an acceptable req? I don't remember seeing that mentioned anywhere ...

~~~Krin
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 02:36 PM CST
Brawling works for other guilds barbs/clerics

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Another Update 03/20/2003 03:18 PM CST
Yep, Brawling is considered a weapon, and can be both Primary and Secondary weapon for any guilds with that req.

Mole

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please reinstall Universe and reboot. +++
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4