FGG Update 09/14/2003 08:58 AM CDT
I think I saw this somewhere else, but the FGG information was put on the site on the link below. There will be tables put in for the contestants that have signed up as soon as we get a few more entries received in different categories.

http://www.legends-end.com/Tourney/LE-DR-FGG.htm

Ciek
Re: FGG Update 09/14/2003 09:18 AM CDT
The site is not updated with the new rules Falkonis gave me, as posted in Discussion with DragonRealms Staff and Players, General Discussions (I think that's where it is, anyway).

Xelten Tyrsin

Jent says, "You should train leather."
Update 12/19/2003 04:36 PM CST
OK, since I was in the aea anyway, I finally remembered to go check out the other two trails I hadn't seen for myself yet and get my notes updated. I haven't made map pictures yet, but I have updated my IG map script. It now includes the 3 trails released a few months back, the ones for Haven, Rossman's and Corik's Wall.

Get it here: http://krinahd.lucerella.com/trailmaps.cmd

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Major Update 12/23/2003 12:54 AM CST
The new calc format is live.

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerCalc.html or
http://www.lucerella.com/krinahd/RangerCalc.html

Each calc and chart page has a dropdown menu to choose between chart/calc and Guild. That's right ... Guild. Rangers will still be the default page but all 10 Guilds are now selectable. However ... not all 10 are live yet. Just to get placemarkers set I basically xeroxed the Ranger pages 9 times each then renamed each of the 9 copies to match the other 9 Guilds. I will go back and update each of the other 9 as I can.

Two things on that.

One ... Barbarian calc/chart are also live. The calc functions properly and I tested the numbers, it seems to come out fine. I used the calc to verify the chart, it also comes out right far as I can tell.

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/BarbarianCalc.html or
http://www.lucerella.com/krinahd/BarbarianCalc.html

Two ... as far as the other 8 Guilds go, I won't bother updating them unless final req's have been posted and are live. If they're not live, then there's too much chance of changes going in to force me to do a lot of work later on, so to heck with it ... I wait for the final live req's. There's one Guild (Traders) which hasn't even posted proposed req's yet that I can find and 3 other Guilds which have proposed req's posted but aren't live yet, so I will wait on those 4 until later. That leaves 4 Guilds (MM, WM, Thief and Paladin) which have their new req's live and I will get to them in the coming days, I hope.

BTW, each Guild is built on a separate HTML page so when I say Rangers are the default, I am referring to the link to the calcs from within my website itself (it is a Ranger site, after all). Any of the Guilds can be bookmarked if you want a direct link to it of your own (as seen by the link to the Barbarian calcs above), but the convenience of the new dropdown menu should make that pretty unnecessary.

Check out the new pages, tell me what you think.

~~~Krin
Re: Major Update 12/23/2003 01:51 AM CST
Looks good Krin.Now if we can just push the GM's into gettin the Cleric req's live I can use yer page for both of my characters.<g>

Good job on the calcs tho!

Izzit
Master Tanner in Training
Re: Major Update 12/23/2003 07:59 PM CST
Updated again. Thief calc/chart are now up.

~~~Krin
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 01:21 AM CST
Thanks bro for the thief chart

Geuno Krysuntaye - Making a come back...
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 07:10 AM CST
>>Geuno Krysuntaye - Making a come back...

In this instance, "comeback" is one word.

Xelten Tyrsin
Typo Police
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 10:12 AM CST
Nice work!

Naturn
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 10:52 AM CST
By the way, a few had said the chart was hard to read when I first put it up (I had a little trouble reading it myself) but I never got any complaints about the spells or beseeches pages, so I changed the chart to use a similar color scheme when I added the dropdown menus and charts/calcs for the other Guilds. That easier for everyone to read?

I'm going back to hunting for a few days, I'll probably put up the WM and MM calcs later this week or this weekend and possibly the Paladin calc as well. Then I'll probably tweak the pages to the other 4 to make it a bit more obvious that they aren't updated yet (disable the calcs and replace the charts with a "coming soon"), or I might just go ahead and build them with their current req's since it's only 4 Guilds.

~~~Krin
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 04:05 PM CST
Thief calc had a minor bug in it, was only using top 5 survivals instead of top 8, which messed the rest of the calc's numbers up. Problem fixed and revised version has been uploaded.

~~~Krin
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 05:31 PM CST
Xelten, you just mad that I whacked you good when you thought you could take me with that Cane... Muhahahaha, And just to make sure I got all corners taken, No, I will not fight you with a bow, not until I feel fit for it. And yes you beat me with your Sabre, but it has more balance then my broadsword. SO HA!

^_^ Ya kno yo love me. muhahaha haha ha... *Looks around*

Geuno Krysuntaye - Making a come back...
Re: Major Update 12/24/2003 05:59 PM CST
Wanna fight me again? You can use whatever you want, I'll use my cane.

Xelten Tyrsin
Updated the trails page 03/26/2004 11:36 PM CST
Trails page has been updated, including a new version of the trailhopping and IG maps scripts, plus a revised version of the overhead view of the trails. Enjoy.

The trailhopping script was expanded just a bit to add in a feature where if you are just running trails in a loop, it will check exp and when you ML, it will hide and wait for a pulse before moving on. All trails are included now, except the new trail at the GoS that someone mentioned but I haven't checked out myself yet. Come to think of it, I was just on the mainland too and I forgot to go look while I was there. <mutter>

Yes, yes, I know lots of other pages on the site are in sore need of completion/update. They will be posted ... when I get around to it. :-D Most current task list I have shows horses and origami up next for completion. I have my notes worked out for both, just need to hammer out a page each for them, including an all-inclusive calc for origami.

Speaking of calcs, for those who may not have noticed when I added it several months back, there is a burden calc on the Misc. Bits page. Put in your strength and stamina, it will tell you in coins or stones (your choice) how much weight you can carry before hitting each of the threshholds, including the mysterious (and unmarked in our INFO) level below "light". Just remember this is your TOTAL weight, so don't forget to include all of what you're wearing. Easy way to find that is see how many coins you can carry before hitting the next threshhold, subtract that from the next threshhold's amount, and that is your current carried weight. If you're using the calc in stones, make sure you divide the number of coins you withdraw by 5 to change them to a stone weight to match.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Updated the trails page 03/27/2004 05:59 AM CST
Hey Krin, great site.

I just have a comment concernig the easy trails. Everyone believes 50 in tracking is the magic number to run them, I'm currently running the easy one just outside of the NE gate to south of Kaerna with only 39 in scouting, and the return route. +90% success rate on scout trail. I started running it with 35 in scouting. The key is perception. with 35/49 scout/percep I started to run it, took a few tries to scout trail, but the RT is only 3 seconds (on a failure) and when I did notice the TM and able to go trail, I learned alot faster than scouting that accursed lad.

Also, I believe Pep was able to run the easy ones in Haven area with 35 in scouting, and 50 perception. I wasn't able to till I had 42 scouting and 38 perception, but I re-rolled my ranger and with the new one can run them with less than 40 in scouting.

Not really a big deal, but IMO it's so much easier to get appx. 50 in perception than the first 50 in scouting.

~Baelish
Re: Updated the trails page 03/27/2004 06:36 AM CST
>Also, I believe Pep was able to run the easy ones in Haven area with 35 in scouting, and 50 perception. I wasn't able to till I had 42 scouting and 38 perception, but I re-rolled my ranger and with the new one can run them with less than 40 in scouting.

Its a combined number. I believe 80, my friend had said. After testing their managed the trail with something like 3 in scouting and 77 in perc. (numbers might be off by one or two, but they're pretty damn close.)

Jalika
Re: Updated the trails page 03/27/2004 07:32 AM CST
Sweet, good to know Jalika, in case I ever feel the need to reroll. (okay someone stop me before I do, please!!)

I am Pep-tog. Celebraty.
Striderr says, "You're a Viente Tog!"
Re: Updated the trails page 03/27/2004 08:26 AM CST
Yeah, that is nice to Know Jalika.

In case I ever re-rolled again (I won't), I'd rather chase 80 in perception than 40 scouting.

Learning scouting without trails is about the most mind-numbingly tedious task I think I've ever done in DR.

Personally, I think it's cruel and unusual punishment. I've got bruises on my forehead from banging my head on my desk after every failure tracking the lad. That's alot of head banging... :)

~Baelish
Re: Updated the trails page 03/27/2004 08:45 AM CST
>Personally, I think it's cruel and unusual punishment. I've got bruises on my forehead from banging my head on my desk after every failure tracking the lad. That's alot of head banging... :)

Heh...i just failed to track a person at the guild for hours upon hours. I'd mind lock, but ugh...those hours.

Jalika
Re: Updated the trails page 03/30/2004 10:00 AM CST
Great site Krin! You have a lot of good info.

Yet, you know what would be nice? A calculator that you could feed your inventory into and it would tell you how much weight you are wearing. If it could use the data from an editable file so you could add altered items and other items, that would be cool.

Is there one out there?

I thought about making one of these a long time ago but the easiest thing for me to work in is qbasic and I just don't feel that is the program to use to make it useful for other people.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Updated the trails page 03/30/2004 10:32 AM CST
I think that'd be a bigger job than you realize. First you'd need the weights of every item in the game, you'd have to account for things that can vary in weight (weapons, herbs, flints), you'd have to determine which items are worn, you'd need to list out everything you own (which could be rough for people with 74 different containers)...it just gets to be a pretty massive job. If you really care, the easiest thing is probably to just withdraw a gold coin and head down to your local MAMAS.

Arcelebor

Combat Combos http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash/drealms/weapons.html
Combat Quick-Reference http://dr.theflightline.net/combat.htm
Re: Updated the trails page 03/30/2004 01:59 PM CST
What Arcelebor said. Even items of like name could have different weights, so there just wouldn't be a feasible way of pulling that off. And that doesn't even take into account problems such as arrows ... the biggest reason I am looking forward to the fletching rewrite, finally a solid number instead of the darn weight changing every time you take one out then put it back!

Instead, there's another tried and true method that has been used since before I even started playing ... the coin test, which I mentioned in my previous post.

Go to the bank and withdraw coppers until you reach the next burden threshhold. To get this done before the teller reads me the riot act about fooling around and making me wait a minute to do any more transactions, I withdraw 200 at a time until I reach the next threshhold. Once I hit it, I deposit 100 and see if I went back down. Now continue this alternation with 50 and then 10's until I find the point where if I deposit one copper I will drop a threshhold.

Look at how many coins you are then carrying. Look at the calc on my page and it will tell you how many, for your strength and stamina, you could hold TOTAL to reach that burden level (ie, how many coins/stones of weight it would take to reach that burden level if you were otherwise butt nekkid). Subtract the coins you are carrying and what's left is the weight (in coins) of your inventory. If you want the weight in stones, then divide by 5. In pounds, divide a coin weight by 50 or a stone weight by 10 (1 pound = 10 stones = 50 coins).

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Updated the trails page 03/30/2004 04:47 PM CST
<mutter>

OK, for those who may have downloaded the new (supposedly) IG trail maps or the trailhopping scripts and wondered why they weren't working, well there's a reasonable explanation for that. I had inadvertantly re-uploaded the old versions rather than uploading the new. <flail>

Error corrected, please try downloading them again, they will work a lot better this time, promise.

Thanks to Jalika for the heads-up on the problem.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Updated the trails page 03/31/2004 08:34 AM CST
Just a note.. it's still hanging down in Ilithi, due to the new tower being constructed at the gondola.

The offending line:

match errorgargshard Obvious paths: southwest, northwest.

should be changed to:

match errorgargshard Obvious paths: southwest.

Stupid boards keep formatting my underscores into italics, but you get the idea :)

~Lieutenant Kyrrian Sarantin, Ilithi Infantry.

Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Re: Updated the trails page 04/02/2004 09:33 AM CST
So, things can vary in weight? Herbs weight less as you use them? If that's the case, then...yeah...bah.

Anyway, I know the inventory list would be huge but enough data would eventually come in to make it pretty close. It would never be 100 percent accurate. It would just be nice to know how much weight I have on me without going to gather coins and whatever.

Yes, people carry items in containers but all that would need to be done is write a script that looks or rummages in each container. You copy that text and save it as a file. If you rummage, you'd probably want to be alone for the scroll.

You could combine some items that are similar.

"Item type", weight
"Longsword, elven longsword, longsword1, longsword2", 30

Maybe I will write it anyway...sometimes these things just stick in my head and need to be done.

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Updated the trails page 04/02/2004 05:14 PM CST
Herbs will weight differently, because they can be different amounts. 50 bites of jadice will weigh quite a bit more than 1.

Believe there was a bug (maybe fixed?) with flints where an unused one woul be a stone, then if you used it it would jump to 39 stone. And of course the arrow thing krin mentioned.

These things then would need to be weighed before you added them into the calc also.

Some folks keep items in containers in containers too. Then there's all the variences on forged weapons would have to be entered and saved. Sounds a daunting task if you undertake it, but drop a link if you decide to. would be interesting.

Jalika
Re: Updated the trails page 04/02/2004 05:28 PM CST
Sum it all up ... it's just not worth the bother. Too many variables, too many bugs. Maintaining such a database would be a nightmare for very little result. It takes but a minute or two to do the coin check, and there is almost (key word) always a bank nearby to run such a test.

Maybe if I had access to the numbers on the GM side where I could just do data mining and build a table from that, I could just build a database and include a disclaimer that due to certain bugs or features, the result could never be better than an estimate at best. But without that access, there would be so many holes in the database that just about anyone who used it would likely have a few items not listed throwing the numbers WAY off unless I dedicated more time to it than I would really find comfortable, it's just not my bag (pardon the pun).

Good idea in it's own right. Just not very feasible and not the sort of project I would want to devote my time to, sorry. Perhaps someone else will feel diferently. I wish them the best of luck, heh.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Updated the trails page 04/02/2004 06:00 PM CST
Flints still weigh 1 stone new, then 39, 38, 37, etc. as they are used.

Arcelebor

Combat Combos http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash/drealms/weapons.html
Combat Quick-Reference http://dr.theflightline.net/combat.htm
More Updates 05/13/2004 10:20 PM CDT
Fixed a couple minor typos on the herbs page:

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/Herbs.html

Finally built and uploaded the origami page, complete with its own calc for picking a pattern:

http://krinahd.lucerella.com/Origami.html

Finally, fixed a minor error (thank you, Jalika) in the circle calcs that would affect only a small portion of users, specifically those with younger characters with a very small set of skills. The calc will still have a problem registering a skill that has 0 ranks and a % of a rank in it (will treat it as if it weren't there), but that is a necessary evil due to the way I fixed the error. Hopefully I will find a way around it if I ever decide to rebuild the calc routine (again). However, it's not really a big concern since usually joining a Guild gives you enough minimum skills to avoid this really being an issue.

The horses page is pretty much built, but I am finding LOTS of holes in the data I had to build it with and am awaiting more results of my own tests to confirm/deny/correct that data before I upload it. Speaking of which, I found a rather nasty bug with horses in Beta, threw me for a loop when I found it, heh. Other than that, finding wrangling to be a very interesting hobby. Needs work, building a list of suggestions to post, though I may just print them out and staple them to someone's forehead at the Con next month instead. :-D

More updates to come, stay tuned. The site is almost complete enough for me to feel secure about it, I just might submit it to the official links site soon. Meantime would appreciate some feedback on how easy (or not) people find the site to navigate and find what they need. I have been looking at the site layout and pondering some options for rearranging a bit.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: More Updates 05/14/2004 12:59 PM CDT
As always, it's a very nice site. Green on Green is sometimes a bit difficult to read, and some of the things that people use a lot don't always have direct links (ex. You have to go to core abilities to find the archery page, etc.) and you haven't put the quests in for the beseeches which would be a nice addition.

Other than that, I think it's a great site and that you should put it up for the official links section soon for all the new scouts.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

That's why it's called a shortcut; if it was easy it would just be "The Way"
Re: More Updates 05/14/2004 01:29 PM CDT
Not sure if this is something you covered before but the map numbers on your trail list do not match up with the map numbers at Ranik's site.

Sylvado

"It's not much of an adventure without risk."
Re: More Updates 05/14/2004 05:30 PM CDT
Like Teek said, not so sure about the green on green. Although I think it might be more with the background -- something solid would make the letters stand out better. Dark green background and light green letters would work.

You should submit it to the links section ASAP. It's the Ranger site I've referred to the most since Delgareth shut his down. Although you should remember to include your updates on the home page besides just posting them here -- the last one is from over a year ago. <pokes>

Sgt. Thilan Farnmor
Intel Division, Northern Watch of Therengia
Re: More Updates 05/14/2004 06:32 PM CDT
>>Green on Green is sometimes a bit difficult to read

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I keep hearing more on how it's hard to read. Got another wallpaper/color scheme I am looking at, seems easier to read.

>>some of the things that people use a lot don't always have direct links

<chuckle> Another one I've been hearing more of. Though mostly it was about finding the calcs, and since I added a direct link right at the top of the page, most of that toned down. I originally had all pages linked in the tree at the top, but the number of links was getting quite cumbersome. I have a different layout I am considering, hopefully it will help.

>>you haven't put the quests in for the beseeches which would be a nice addition

Hrm. I've always said if I put stuff like that on the site, I would make sure I buried it at least three clicks deep so anyone who whines about it ruining mystery my only answer would be "you should have thought of that before you clicked a link and two follwup warnings!" I suppose if I kept with that method I could feel comfortable about putting up some tips about the quests.

>>Not sure if this is something you covered before but the map numbers on your trail list do not match up with the map numbers at Ranik's site.

Ayep, known issue. As the section explains, (I assume you are talking about the TCT file, that's the only place I can think of that has map # references) those are the notes I was taking the night they were released, which was before Ranik revamped the map numbers from scratch. All the addons was making the old numbers a bit cumbersom due to all the maps that had to be added in the middle, a renumbering was badly needed.

The trails page was the first one I built, was originally just a page inserted onto Taffei's site back when she was still using AOL webspace before I bought her a domain name and space on Yahoo! so she could move her site over. Stuff like those notes just aren't as pertinent as they were at the time, will likely take them down eventually.

>>Although you should remember to include your updates on the home page besides just posting them here -- the last one is from over a year ago. <pokes>

I blame laziness. :-D I'll try to remember to update that in the future as well. <ponders> Or even just make it its own page, a "What's New?" page of sorts, so the list could be comprehensive, adding to it but never deleting old entries, without making the entry page an excessively long one to read when just passing through.

Thanks for the comments, folks, appreciate the feedback.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: More Updates 05/14/2004 07:05 PM CDT
>>Thanks for the comments, folks, appreciate the feedback<<

Most of my concerns were addressed but it would be nice if you had maybe some ummm coughnakidcough pics of the female ranger guild leaders, that would be nice <nod>

Da Not So Madd Webba

You might as well pay attention since your ass can't afford free speech
I?m taking back the nice and putting on the angry face

I was all for the revolution, till i found out it was contigent on corporate sponsorship
Re: More Updates 05/15/2004 12:27 PM CDT
Uh huh ... then next by email you'll be nagging me where the nekkid pics of Marion are, I know how you are.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Circle Calc Update 05/28/2004 12:20 AM CDT
I finally isolated the bug that was causing the calc to go all wonky when you had fewer weapons than the max total weapon req's your Guild would ever have (i.e., the example brought to my attention was a 11-30th circle WM training only two weapons though their Guild requires a 3rd at 71st) and stomped that sucker into dust.

It now works like it should and if, for example, you only have two weapon skills and want to take a peek at what you need for 71+ ... it will show that third weapon as "not yet trained(W3)" and other skills will display accordingly. That way you know you haven't yet earned any ranks in that slot but also realize what skill it is referring to.

While I had the code open, I tweaked the calc's updating routines to automatically update the circle indicator when you paste in your skills, it will now jump to whatever your next circle will be. So no more having to update it yourself after you paste in your skills. For example if you have the skills for 35th and are working on 36th, the Circle box will automatically jump to 36 when you paste in your skills.

http://www.lucerella.com/krinahd/RangerCalc.html

It still has a dropdown menu to jump to any other Guild's calc so bookmark that one and you can jump to any Guild's calc (or chart, using the other dropdown menu) you want from there. Each Guild is a separate page (the dropdown menu just automatically redirects you to it) so if there is a particular Guild you want to jump to each time you open it, go to that Guild before you bookmark it.

Enjoy.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Circle Calc Update 05/29/2004 03:26 PM CDT
Empath guild isn't on there. You might want to readd it, if only on a temporary basis. It looks like their reqs are going to be completely redone.

Mole

AIM ~ Jasperjohn DR

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Help. Help. If anyone reads this I am being held prisoner by an evil Eunuch. Help.
Re: Circle Calc Update 05/29/2004 07:45 PM CDT
The Calcs for Empaths, Traders, Bards and Clerics were disabled as I was hoping at the time that the release of their new req's was imminent. Since somebody seems to be dragging their feet, I have been thinking of just saying to heck with it and installing their current req's for now.

The calcs are there, they just come up with a message in the req window saying its disabled, to check back later.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/10/2004 07:51 PM CDT
"The Calcs for Empaths, Traders, Bards and Clerics were disabled as I was hoping at the time that the release of their new req's was imminent. Since somebody seems to be dragging their feet, I have been thinking of just saying to heck with it and installing their current req's for now."

would ya mind puttin current ones up??? its hard as well to find bard calc that actually works :)
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/11/2004 07:40 AM CDT
Ayep, I plan to do that in the very near future, since the announcement at SimuCon of the new circle req structure tells me those remaining 4 Guilds will probably be on hold for a bit longer while they look at changing the way we do circling requirements.

Oh, and BTW ... when that goes live, I will likely be taking down the circle calcs. I talked with Smegul at the Con about it and the one downside of the new req setup is it would be virtually impossible to make a coherent calc that would cover it ... there's just too many darned possibilities. I suppose the calc could tell you what you need in your core skills (which, if I understood correctly, will still have per-skill req's) but the overall req's ... counting bits is a different story than counting ranks.

You need 4675 bits ... ok ... that could be ANY number of ranks depending on which skills, what ranks they are currently at (bits-per-rank is different for pretty much every rank, no two alike) and how many you personally plan to train in each. And that plan doesn't necessarily match what will actually happen. It would be a freaking nightmare and I don't even want to think about it. It would be closer to an AI than a circle calc. It could take a single VERY long page just to list all the possible combinations of skills for even a moderately sized skillset like survival. I suppose I could have an option for setting how many of your top skills the calc should assume you are going to limit it to and assume that you train each an equal number of ranks or something like that, but then the calc would be hardly better than just taking a blind guess on your own.

On top of all that, it would mean learning the calcs for determining bits-per-rank which involves equations figured out by the players and therefore not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, it's all reverse engineering since that sort of thing the GM's don't give us an actual answer on, unlike the req's themselves. We've got some pretty geeky players in DR (I know, I'm one of them ...) and I feel confident that if the equations aren't 100% accurate, they're darn close ... but, still.

I think I'll leave that sort of thing to Smegul, assuming even he wants to try tackling it.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."