Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: for Zinaca 07/08/2008 11:14 AM CDT
>> Z loves thieves, and Solomon hates rangers ~ Zinaca

You are an idiot.<<

Hard to argue with this opinion.

Don
Re: for Zinaca 07/08/2008 05:56 PM CDT
Along with the whining about the teaching changing hurting Rangers.

Thirded.
Re: for Zinaca 07/08/2008 06:35 PM CDT
Perhaps I am missing something, but why would a ranger want or need teaching? Needing teaching means you need other people to help you circle (students) which does not make you self-reliant. Rangers only need two lores (three if you count a certain quest requiring scholarship). You can learn appraisal and mech easily enough and scholarship recently became pretty easy to learn all by yourself now too, if you wanted to train it. I have 130 something teaching, and I have been stuck there since 1998 or so.

Asterid

PS watch, now they will come out with some really cool spell or ability that requires teaching.

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: for Zinaca 07/08/2008 07:59 PM CDT
I've got 330 teaching.. and not a clue how. It basically moved itself with any sort of socializing I guess.

I agree appraisal is free lore, so is schol now. Mech is too if one has any free time between hunting and survivals. And AL (does it even count as a real lore?) is easy to 350. Maybe more now.

Teach less, hunt more.
Re: for Zinaca 07/09/2008 08:59 AM CDT
>> Z loves thieves

Considering he's admitted to only ever being a thief character and to having no idea how to be a Ranger, I don't see this statement as untrue. Doesn't say he hates Rangers or doesn't try to do things for Rangers, I think his track record thus far speaks to that.

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
You say, "I thought Banshee's scream"
The toy Banshee says, "Have you ever been a Banshee? Our voices get sore"
You say, "No, but I married one once"
Re: for Zinaca 07/10/2008 04:43 PM CDT
With all he's done, including making a baby ranger just to see what it's like to try to raise one, I would not say that he just loves thieves at all. I got the impression he is very dedicated to making this game work well and be fun in general and takes his job with regard to all the survival guilds very seriously

--The player of too many, all of which are fictions in a fantasy game and none of which are me.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself." -- Archibald MacLeish
Re: for Zinaca 07/10/2008 06:43 PM CDT
Should look at the stink the Thieves are raising because Z decided to open SLIP to us. I have full faith that Z is unbiased, and has the game's best interest in mind. Not just Rangers.

Zinaca, you're throwing around quite a few accusations of GM guild favoritism and bias lately. Maybe you should step out of that glass house you're standing in, and take a look at what's best for the game as a whole.
Re: for Zinaca 07/10/2008 11:54 PM CDT
<<Should look at the stink the Thieves are raising because Z decided to open SLIP to us. I have full faith that Z is unbiased, and has the game's best interest in mind. Not just Rangers.>>

<<Zinaca, you're throwing around quite a few accusations of GM guild favoritism and bias lately. Maybe you should step out of that glass house you're standing in, and take a look at what's best for the game as a whole. >>

All this because of the sentence: "Z loves Thieves"???

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:33 AM CDT
Take a look at the conversation going on in the General Discussions folder, where she's accusing Solomon of hating Rangers, and claiming the new teaching changes are anti-Ranger since it cheapens the way we train survivals or some other such nonsense. Add that to the 'Z likes thieves better and has no idea what it means to play a Ranger and is out to get us' rhetoric; that's what this is 'all this' is because of.

People whining about awesome new development because they can't take off their one-guild blinders bug me immensely. Now maybe i don't understand what it means to be a Ranger, since i've only played one for 50 circles, but this teaching change helps him just as much as it does my MM.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 08:13 AM CDT
> All this because of the sentence: "Z loves Thieves"???

No, "all this" because of the constant crapping on Zeyurn from a select handful of rangers (yourself included on at least a few occasions btw) for being a stand up guy and saying he'd finally bring Ranger reqs in line (this is where it started). He then had the audacity to say that some survival skills needed work, and went plum crazy and said "maybe I'll rewrite core climb/swim/scout to be more than just skills you train to circle." How dare he! /sarcasm

The context of the Zinaca's quote that drove me over the edge was that "oh woe is us, a dirty dirty Thief-lover is leading survival/Ranger dev and we're all screwed cause Solomon hates Rangers and the two of them are cackling with glee as they plot ways to make the game crappy!" I'm sure there's a heaping pile of residual angst from the Sv.X changes wherein Z really saved our asses. Instead of getting half-hearted mixed crap damage-crap disable spells, we got some really powerful disabling spells at the expense of a little poison and one over haxed tree. Don't you throw Swarm/Griz/PoS in his face either. Those spells always sucked.

And while I'm nerd-raging, If I hear one more complaint about having a piddly secondary armor req so help me I'm going to drive this car RIGHT OFF THE ROAD!!!one1!1

~There, I feel better.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 08:28 AM CDT
This is a funny conflict, i think people are getting way over worked about one persons opinion.

The secondary armor req is too LOW <- Me complaininga buot armor. It should be much more and we should have a tert armor requirement as well. and the 9th and 10th survival reqs should be about 380 and the 5th and 6th requiment should be lower like 580 and the 7th and 8th should be 540.

And everyone knows Z and Soloman love Necromancers above all other guilds, and they like to torture small children for their experiments.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 08:54 AM CDT
So I made my opinions known to Z that I don't like TM and I don't like the BB "nerf", so now I'm crapping on him? I don't think I've ever said Z was doing a bad job, and if I had I want someone to point it out to me, because I don't think he's done a bad job, never had. I just don't always agree with his decisions gasp! Heaven forbid I don't kiss his ass and tell him every idea is great or he'll run away.

I guess I took the context of Zinaca's post differently. Since Z has stated he's only ever played a Thief and has never played a Ranger the comment "Z loves Thieves" is true. But it doesn't say "Z hates Rangers". Won't even touch teh Solomon comment since he stated yesterday he hates all guilds not just the Rangers. I'm hoping you guys took it in the same context I did.

I had no intention of touching the Griz/Swarm/PoS thing. As far as I know it did exactly what Kalika told me it would do when I got it. This is just a game to me. I don't care about the math computations it uses to determine how much stun it will deal based on stats, the poistion of your left foot in relation to magnetic north, and the amount of mana you prepped it at. If it's supposed to make the critter dance a samba, then it better not do a jig.

I have alot of respect for you Hanryu. I just don't see this the same way you do.

Oh and speaking of those secondary armor reqs...ducks

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 08:55 AM CDT
>The secondary armor req is too LOW

Um, why should we have a second armor requirement at all?

V.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 09:06 AM CDT
You are all stupidheads.

Arctuniol

Knowledge is like manure, it's only good when spread.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 09:48 AM CDT
Little known fact, Zeyurn is in fact part robot part Chuck Norris which, by way of the show Walker, Texas Ranger makes him at least 1/2 ranger and 1/2 cyborg thief.

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 09:59 AM CDT
>Um, why should we have a second armor requirement at all?

Armor secondary. Plus requirements can be used to help justify abilities down the line.

If the secondary armor requirement holds you back, you aren't training right.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 10:04 AM CDT
>>Plus requirements can be used to help justify abilities down the line.

I thought they were moving away from this paradigm, which is in part why the reqs are being eased up.

And the secondary armor req as it's been proposed is nothing. If you aren't wearing some cloth/bone/chain with your leather or throwing on a shield at melee when evasion & parry have locked then I don't know what to tell you.

~Thilan
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 10:08 AM CDT
>I thought they were moving away from this paradigm, which is in part why the reqs are being eased up.

My impression was that, you couldn't justify more powerful abilities at x circle because circling took longer, but it would be easier to propose an armor ability with higher armor requirements. Could be off base, but that was the sense I got from several recent posts.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 10:21 AM CDT
>Armor secondary.

So it is completely and utterly skillset based and has no grounding in guild philosophy whatsoever. In other words, it is just another requirement GMs tell us to fulfill in order to advance.

Create a skill, call it jumping through hoops, put it as part of our skill requirements and those rangers against the secondary armor requirement would be just as angry...

V.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 10:44 AM CDT
>So it is completely and utterly skillset based and has no grounding in guild philosophy whatsoever. In other words, it is just another requirement GMs tell us to fulfill in order to advance.

Right, and guild philosophy is completely and utterly unrelated to skillsets?

Your rant is pathetic. Plus, all of this was already discussed to death.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 10:45 AM CDT
<<So it is completely and utterly skillset based and has no grounding in guild philosophy whatsoever. In other words, it is just another requirement GMs tell us to fulfill in order to advance.>>

Umm survivalist, if you can go 100 circles without wearing any armor at all then I'd agree it wouldn't fit the guild philosophy. The fact the guild places a emphasis on Armor learning and Weapon learning is part of the survivalist philosophy for a ranger.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 10:57 AM CDT
<<Your rant is pathetic. Plus, all of this was already discussed to death.>>

i was in college and bored, and talked my way from the general phone number at WWOR, to studio manager, to control room director and got on the ricky lake show saying i was the head of the psychiatric wing at mt sinai hospital and had something to say about the incestuous triads that had formed on her stage...i went on my rant

after i was done, she said almost the exact same thing. almost verbatim.

so i bababoueyd

:oP Ragran
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 11:42 AM CDT
I really like this edgier side of Hanryu.

>So it is completely and utterly skillset based and has no grounding in guild philosophy whatsoever. In other words, it is just another requirement GMs tell us to fulfill in order to advance.

Personally, I feel Barbarians should be masters of Percussions, Thieves should be the Shield kings, Paladins should obviously be the leaders of Perception, and Rangers should be the Targetted Magic experts. That's what I feel guild philosophy should be; skillsets be damned. [/sarcasm]

Please. You're armor secondary. You get the advantages of that, and as such you have a second armor requirement.

Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 01:36 PM CDT
Ragran

You pretty much made my point for me. Second armor requirement is about as ridiculous in my book as wanting empaths to be master assassins or thieves to become master healers.

V.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 01:42 PM CDT
<<You pretty much made my point for me.>>

????????

ok dont answer that.

:oP Ragran
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 02:08 PM CDT
The extra weapon and armor reqs are a joke. Currently my ranger is half a rank from 92nd (need primary weapon to reach 100th, nothing else). If new reqs came out right this instant, I'd be 92nd and need 5th/6th survival to circle to 110th (think thats right), nothing else. Enough second armor for 150th - even tho it's 50 ranks less than my primary weapon? That's too easy. Enough tert weapon for 150th - Even though it's 70 ranks less than my primary? And enough parry for 150th - this req is really a joke though. Enough second weapon for somewhere between 130-140th. And enough primary armor for 130ish (granted this one is ahead of primary weapon by a ways). All quite silly.

I know some don't think rangers need to be combat heavy, but we're armor and weapon secondary with evasion/hide/stalk in our prime skill set, so I disagree.

Oh. And only enough prime survival (hiding) for 120th and that's way ahead of anything else.. really makes the secondary skillset reqs look pathetic when my highest primary skill isn't even close to 150th and all those others already meet/are closer to the 150th reqs.

This is prime, I don't have the time to script all day every day (gotta work), I don't afk script, and dr is not my entire life, so not like this is all impossible feats (granted it takes years when you can't afk script 24/7).

And it is quite possible to manually (or with minimal script help) lock shield, leather, hc (or whatever secondary armor), parry, multi, 3 weapons, evasion, hide, and stalk (along with other things as you desire) if you are hunting the right critter, in very little time. That's 11 skills, and you can do a lot more than 11 at once in combat if you want (I add in working FA and locking schol too, appraisal, etc. can easily reach 17-20+ skills going at once if you really want). So personally I've always prefered my hunting run to say.. my survival run, which always seems inefficient to me after 17 or more skills pretty much simultaneously while hunting.

Feel free to ignore anything said in this post.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
You manage to collect a pile of cebi roots.
Roundtime: 102 sec.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 03:07 PM CDT
Wow.

I am convinced this is all due to the cost of gas and the heat wave and its impact on the general sanity of the population.

--The player of too many, all of which are fictions in a fantasy game and none of which are me.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself." -- Archibald MacLeish
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 04:14 PM CDT
Okay, someone tell me why armor secondary requires investment into a second armor or shield for circle requirements? I wanna know...

V.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 04:43 PM CDT
>Okay, someone tell me why armor secondary requires investment into a second armor or shield for circle requirements? I wanna know...

I would like to know why survival primary requires investment into more than one survival skill.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 05:13 PM CDT
If you're going to go that route, why require skill in anything at all to circle? Lets just base it entirely on total bits across all skills! Then we'll level up based on total exp and be just like any other game in that aspect? Fun idea.

The way most guilds work in DR, it seems, is to generally have more than just one skill required in each of their secondary sets. With their primary set having higher reqs. And tert set being laughable. Go look at other guilds (http://www.olwydd.org/guilds/index.php), see how they're set up. And then you'll see (as far as I know) there isn't any case except rangers where a secondary set only requires one skill. It's just how the gm's have decided to set up DR. Granted it does end up sucking for the poor rangers that only trained exactly what was needed to circle.. good thing circles aren't everything.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 05:58 PM CDT
>I would like to know why survival primary requires investment into more than one survival skill.

You are comparing canines to primates. And falls flat on its face.

Armor is the same skill over and over again, movement in protective clothing, just so happens it teaches different skills. Foraging is not hiding from people's perception, skinning is not disarming traps.

So, there is a reason right there to diversify in survivals. They each do something different that is beneficial to you.

But, where is the benefit in learing HP? Wait, I can't hide in plate. Okay, how about cloth. Wait, you mean one hit and I will probably be dead. Um.

Shield, okay. Wait, you mean I will actually need the only secondary benefit to it, its missile defense very rarely? That is okay. Wait wait wait, if I train shield and evasion why the heck do Guildleaders require us to learn parry? Oh, let me guess, because we are weapon secondary...

Then there is the thing about arm worn shields messing up your aim with a bow, the only defense apart from evasion you can use with a bow in hand. But any ranger should train bow via snipe to protect oneself from attack. So one of the best things about that skill is infact going to get used rarely.

In short, there is no real benefit to a ranger diversifying armor, even to shield. And high level rangers complaining about having to backtrain a secondary armor which they so rarely trained and certainly not to level is only further proof that diversifying armor is not vital to a ranger.

But good try.

V.
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 06:34 PM CDT
My Moon Mage has enough secondary armor for the 150th New Ranger Req. Even his third armor would meet it. I'm sure any Ranger will have no problem achieving it especially with the new teaching.
New Ranger Reqs WAS for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:00 PM CDT
DISCLAIMER
I don't know, nor will I pretend to know how the exp system works, what comes next is strictly my observation.
END DISCLAIMER

When I started playing this game again in Nov. of 2006 I was around 40th circle. My wife started playing and rolled up an Empath character. We have the same work hours and play around the same amount of time (around 4 or 5 hours a day except weekends which we don't play at all), I actually wind up getting a couple more hours in than she does. Almost 2 years later I am now 60th and she is now 66th. No I realize that this may be an issue that only happens to me and that my stats may have been done up all wrong. But can someone explain to me why this happens?

Maybe since being able to fight is a form of survival weapons should be learned at a primary rate? [/joke]

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Re: New Ranger Reqs WAS for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:23 PM CDT
Because empath reqs are easy as dirt, and they can potentially get everything they need in one room (if they so desire), cept maybe a survival or two (which new teaching can rectify). I didn't even have to try hard to get my empath to 55th. My cleric has to actually hunt (well, he could do classes too now I guess if I wanted him too) to circle and is 46th (cleric has 480 harness to empaths highest skill of 302 first aid?!). Fun stuff.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: New Ranger Reqs WAS for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:26 PM CDT
Ok, I see what you're saying. Don't Barbarians circle just as easy?

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:30 PM CDT
>>Shield, okay. Wait, you mean I will actually need the only secondary benefit to it, its missile defense very rarely? That is okay. Wait wait wait, if I train shield and evasion why the heck do Guildleaders require us to learn parry? Oh, let me guess, because we are weapon secondary...

Parry is prolly because of the weapon secondary thing yes. Same for multi. Both are still a joke, and you can easily lock all 4 defenses no problem anyway if you desire.

And as to shield, shield is in general the superior PvP defense, unless you are in a challenge where the rules state "melee only, no spell casting/roaring". Not going to be parrying room cast shots of CL or TKS, and whatever other area spells can attack you in hiding. Granted if you have a loaded bow, you won't be blocking it then either.

Shield and bow - I agree, the only use here is for when you snipe, get seen, and they shoot you. since you can't block with a loaded bow.

We all see things in a different light. I think diversifying is a wonderful thing. Bow only, leather only, hiding rangers with skill in no other combats seems too weak to me.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: New Ranger Reqs WAS for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:36 PM CDT
Ok, I see what you're saying. Don't Barbarians circle just as easy?

Define easy? I went from 84th and 92nd in a bit over 2 months as a ranger (thats since I came back). That's 40 primary weapon. Is that slow or fast? (I always feel it moves so damn slow). I work a 10 hour job, and only spend 95% of my free time in dr (cept when I turn it off to go do things other than dr?).

But I'd assume a barb could do it faster, since weapon is prime. In the same time as the above mentioned weapon, I've made over 80 ranks of swimming (though swim was 100 ranks lower to begin with..). I think the new reqs adress this slower circling for ranger. It should potentially be quicker to circle since the primary skillset reqs go up and the secondary set reqs (mainly prime weapon) goes down. Others may (prolly do) disagree. How many rangers find that survivals hold them back currently and have no problem with primary weapon? I've not a clue.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: for Zinaca 07/11/2008 07:43 PM CDT
>We all see things in a different light. I think diversifying is a wonderful thing. Bow only, leather only, hiding rangers with skill in no other combats seems too weak to me.

I agree, but I don't look down on those Rangers. They have just chosen a different path. I do feel bad that they have to pick up a second armor now. Still, it's very easy. Just get your ranks and carry on.

Many guilds are forced to do this with their Teaching req. Not fun, no one likes to do it, and it has nothing to do with their RP; but, if they want to advance in the guild, then they have to take care of it.
Re: for Zinaca 07/12/2008 04:19 AM CDT
>>Okay, someone tell me why armor secondary requires investment into a second armor or shield for circle requirements? I wanna know...

Why does weapon primary require investment in 5 weapons?

Why does sniping use scouting?

Why does ambush use circles?

Why does white ash change to black charcoal?

Why does empathy require a balance of shock?

Why does Solomon hate Rangers?

I am --- Navak
Prev_page Previous 1