Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: for Zinaca 07/12/2008 11:11 AM CDT
>>Okay, someone tell me why armor secondary requires investment into a second armor or shield for circle requirements? I wanna know...

Why does weapon primary require investment in 5 weapons?
Why does sniping use scouting?
Why does ambush use circles?
Why does white ash change to black charcoal?
Why does empathy require a balance of shock?
Why does Solomon hate Rangers?
I am --- Navak

Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
__
Huldah: So, I hear there's a gunfight going down at the Paladin's Guild. Brother against brother, Mano-a-mano. IT'S CHAOS. Soon there will be blood. And someone is going to have a horse head in their bed.
Pal: Uh. No more mob movies for you.
Re: for Zinaca 07/12/2008 11:51 AM CDT
>Shield, okay. Wait, you mean I will actually need the only secondary benefit to it, its missile defense very rarely? That is okay. Wait wait wait, if I train shield and evasion why the heck do Guildleaders require us to learn parry? Oh, let me guess, because we are weapon secondary...

Shield rarely has a benefit? Spoken like a true newbie.

>In short, there is no real benefit to a ranger diversifying armor, even to shield.

Like I said before, if that's what you think, this req is actually doing you a favor.

>And high level rangers complaining about having to backtrain a secondary armor which they so rarely trained and certainly not to level is only further proof that diversifying armor is not vital to a ranger.

I'd say skills like scouting or animal lore are actually less vital to a ranger, in practice.

>But good try.

Thanks.
Re: for Zinaca 07/12/2008 01:36 PM CDT
>Shield rarely has a benefit? Spoken like a true newbie.

I've probably come across 3 or 4 non-ranged critters to every ranged critter. So the full missile defense with a shield and evasion set up is actually rarely needed.

The only real benefit is that when parry gets mindlocked before evasion I can switch to shield stance and hunt longer.

V.
Re: for Zinaca 07/12/2008 01:52 PM CDT
Shields real benifit is pvp, so if you're one who doesn't do any of that I suppose it's just fine to never touch a shield.

And there are enough magic tossing critters (fens, basilisks, adanf maged, etc come to mind) to add to the list of critters that shoot (orc scouts etc). But again, you can be selective in what you hunt and never need shield. I've never needed shield to hunt, I just dodge what they cast. I just like to train it.

>>The only real benefit is that when parry gets mindlocked before evasion I can switch to shield stance and hunt longer.

Yes, I do this too :/

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
You manage to collect a pile of cebi roots.
Roundtime: 102 sec.
Re: for Zinaca 07/13/2008 01:26 PM CDT
Yes, Volsa with his first character and 40-some-odd circles has all the answers. Face it Cop, your experience and knowledge pale in comparison.
/sarcasm

Anyone that thinks shield is only useful for ranged defense is either:
A) a noob
B) knows little to nothing about combat
C) all of the above
Re: for Zinaca 07/15/2008 06:13 PM CDT
<And high level rangers complaining about having to backtrain a secondary armor which they so rarely trained and certainly not to level is only further proof that diversifying armor is not vital to a ranger.>

Just wondering ... which high level ranger was complaining about backtraining a secondary armor? I recall some wondering how fair it was to suddenly, out of the blue, require 250 ranks for some of us in a secondary skill set. I recall that it was described as a pain in the neck, perhaps a bit unfair, but certainly doable.

This is how false rumors get implanted. Questioning is not complaining. Dissent is not unrangerly.

-- Ranger Fengreve
Re: for Zinaca 07/16/2008 11:13 AM CDT
<<The only real benefit is that when parry gets mindlocked before evasion I can switch to shield stance and hunt longer.

Now you've been quoted for a second time. And this one's not an affirmation either.

What HARES said. Write it down.

<<Anyone that thinks shield is only useful for ranged defense is either:
A) a noob
C) all of the above

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: for Zinaca 07/16/2008 11:17 AM CDT
At least we know why so so many noobs get dropped by velvers, dinegos, and other ranged using critters during invasions.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: for Zinaca 07/16/2008 04:21 PM CDT
<<Anyone that thinks shield is only useful for ranged defense is either:
A) a noob
C) all of the above

It is also useful for tdps, but other than that, serves no substantial combat/pvp purpose for bow-prime rangers.

Juulmon
Re: for Zinaca 07/16/2008 05:48 PM CDT
This is the strangest conflict I've seen on the DR boards! Has Zinaca even seen she's famous and has her own thread yet? (Only briefly skimmed the thread as it doesn't seem to be much of a conflict).

Player of too many

You would argue with a wall if it had "No, You Are!" written on it. Let it go. - Quote by Carolint
Re: for Zinaca 07/16/2008 06:03 PM CDT
It turned into a discussion of shields :/

Now we're all paladins!

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: for Zinaca 07/16/2008 09:18 PM CDT
>Now we're all paladins!

Nah, paladins whine more. Paladins are the new rangers.
Re: for Zinaca 07/18/2008 12:41 AM CDT
<<This is the strangest conflict I've seen on the DR boards! Has Zinaca even seen she's famous and has her own thread yet? (Only briefly skimmed the thread as it doesn't seem to be much of a conflict).>>

I have now. Geez, had no idea I would freak out so many people and they would react so violently! I find it odd that Z hasn't answered or replied to this (and I don't and didn't expect him to) but others have reacted with such vehemence. I agree with whoever posted that they think the cost of gas and heat has created a meltdown in some folks.

I'm entitled to my opinion. However simplistic or "idiotic" you think it is. As Gahlron has pointed out, I never said Z hated rangers, nor did I ever state that I thought the GMs were leading us down a worm hole to hell or destruction. I enjoined them to remember their biases (EVERYONE has biases, or you can read preconceived notions) and please to remember how we need to train when they rewrite our core skill set.

Calling me an idiot only makes a person sound like an adolescent or littler. I thought name calling was for elementary school yards.

For the record, I think Z is doing a fantastic job. But I don't agree with some of the decisions that have been made. BB and HB nerf for example and the choice to make all the guilds be in line with each other. Intellectually (yes I do have one, however feeble you might think it is) I can understand a desire by the coders to standardize all the guild reqs. That doesn't mean that as a ranger I have to like it.

For the record, I think Solomon is doing a good job overseeing the development of the game as a whole. I don't like that he doesn't like rangers but at least he has played the game and on average, overall, I think he is guiding the GMs in a positive way. I especially like the outspokeness of the GMs and thank them all for it, As much as Maelona was probably brilliant, I am very grateful the days of Simu silence is basically over.

As a ranger of middle circle, I'm worried about the new reqs and how they will affect me. As contrary to so many of you, I don't have ooodles of survivals stored up so that I will gain decades of circles. In fact I will probably lose some. (Yes, I know I won't actually lose the designation of x circle, but skills wise I will have lost and will have to make them up over and above the usual reqs for y circle).

Well, I think I have mentioned everything I wanted to now. I will continue to offer my opinions. Feel free to ignore DUNEPLAY if you wish. But please, no more name calling eh? At least tell me what you think is wrong with my opinion and why you feel you are right. (Being God doesn't count).

Zinaca
Re: for Zinaca 07/18/2008 02:07 AM CDT
>>As a ranger of middle circle, I'm worried about the new reqs and how they will affect me. As contrary to so many of you, I don't have ooodles of survivals stored up so that I will gain decades of circles. In fact I will probably lose some. (Yes, I know I won't actually lose the designation of x circle, but skills wise I will have lost and will have to make them up over and above the usual reqs for y circle).

I just have a hard time fathoming this. I came back what, nearly 3 months ago now. Read the boards at the time. Compared the calculations to my (then) 84th circle ranger. I saw I was lacking 6th and 7th survivals, if the reqs came out the next day I'd be behind about 4 circles. Ok, well, not the end of the world. Figuring the new reqs were coming soon, as in, with the way everyone was talking maybe a week or two, I hopped right on that. Within a month or a bit more, I was caught up (and had gained 3 circles, with those survivals pacing circle). Since then, I've gained another 5 circles, and those survivals are now far enough ahead that if the reqs came out right now I'd gain two circles..

So, I don't see the issue. It's not the end of the world to fix the survivals if the new reqs come out (unless these survivals are so far behind it's insane? i.e. if someone only ever tained 5 survivals and never touched the others perhaps?). I don't see it being a huge issue at anything below 100th circle. The only people I could see the survival aspect (not talking the armor and weapons) being an issue for are some high level rangers who only focused on a very core set of survivals, and chose not to touch most the others. Not sure how many would be setup that way, but might be a number of them.

And think about it, it's been at least 3 months since I came back and heard about this.. by this point shouldn't most people have realized changes are likely and started adjusting things a lil bit? (except those who are gone, they're just outta luck.)

My thoughts.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: for Zinaca 07/18/2008 10:55 AM CDT
> Calling me an idiot only makes a person sound like an adolescent or littler. I thought name calling was for elementary school yards.
> Well, I think I have mentioned everything I wanted to now. I will continue to offer my opinions. Feel free to ignore DUNEPLAY if you wish. But please, no more name calling eh? At least tell me what you think is wrong with my opinion and why you feel you are right. (Being God doesn't count).

I think you missed the point of a conflict folder. You're all idiots!

There, now you try it. Release the evil.

~Hanryu "Bad conflicts make me sadface" Ves'Shomis
Re: for Zinaca 07/18/2008 11:31 AM CDT
<<Calling me an idiot only makes a person sound like an adolescent or littler. I thought name calling was for elementary school yards.>>

no no...i operate between the ages of 9 and 12 and i haven't called you any names.

:oP Ragran
Re: for Zinaca 07/18/2008 03:33 PM CDT
<<As a ranger of middle circle, I'm worried about the new reqs and how they will affect me. As contrary to so many of you, I don't have ooodles of survivals stored up so that I will gain decades of circles. In fact I will probably lose some. (Yes, I know I won't actually lose the designation of x circle, but skills wise I will have lost and will have to make them up over and above the usual reqs for y circle).>>

<<I just have a hard time fathoming this.>>

Well 2 things. Firstly, I just don't want to repeat my experience when the reqs changed last time and I needed 256 ranks of survival to my next circle. Yes, this time it is different. Z has graciously months to prepare (thank you Z!). Still, I don't want to repeat the experience.

Secondly, you might play more than I do. Or train more efficiently than I do. That's great. I know several folks who seem to be able to maximinze their learning experience better than I do. That's fine, but just because I might not be as effeicient or play as often as you do, doesn't mean I can't worry and try to avoid unpleasant circle loss at the req change.

We usually tend to train differently from each other. I'm always amazed when Han does one of his skills surveys to see just how differently we place our priorities.

Anyways that's my answer. : )

Zinaca--someone PLEASE change the title! I'm not that bad, really! (thanks Gahlron for trying to do so)
Re: for Zinaca 07/18/2008 03:35 PM CDT
<<no no...i operate between the ages of 9 and 12 and i haven't called you any names.

:oP Ragran>>

Not every kid in the school yard calls kids names either. You are such an role model! : P

Zinaca
I changed the title for Zinaca 07/18/2008 04:00 PM CDT
There ya go.
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/18/2008 10:49 PM CDT
Thanks!

Zinaca
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/21/2008 01:24 AM CDT
I think part of the problem is when you post complaining about something, like new teaching.

It seems you don't know what you're talking about, and when called on it you fail to offer any information about what you're doing that is at 295 ranks and faster via teaching.

You just don't seem to understand how things work, and why even if teaching was the fastest way to learn a skill, it still wouldn't be an optimal choice.

Combine that with your Kanye West moment and it's not that hard to envision you walking down the road of J'lo or Diomid.

I am --- Navak
Re: for Zinaca 07/21/2008 10:32 AM CDT
<<I think you missed the point of a conflict folder. You're all idiots!
<<There, now you try it. Release the evil.

Hanryu smells and has things growing in his beard! How's that?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: for Zinaca 07/21/2008 01:38 PM CDT
>Hanryu smells and has things growing in his beard! How's that?

Not sure if that's an insult or a compliment.

Re: for Zinaca 07/21/2008 02:17 PM CDT
You scrub at your beard, attempting to dislodge stray remnants of food and drink, or any other bits of gore that may have found a home within it.
Roundtime: THREE DAYS!

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/21/2008 03:46 PM CDT
Navak--You're right I don't understand how things work. Never said I did. I have repeatedly said I'm not a coder and the only thing I know how to do with a computer is basically turn it on and type.

And my point was, that doing things should always be the better choice. You can learn more things at the same than teaching. I get that. Although now that I have used it several times and spent more time sitting with others at gryphons, I am growing to like it--some. I will always do more than sit. But I am growing to like locking foraging by collecting things other than forage one by one, while listening to and locking 3 things from 1 class.

As for me becoming like J'Lo...that's a compliment. She knows a lot about the game. But I'm not near her league, and I know it.

Just because I don't know how things work, though, doesn't mean I shouldn't post my opinions. And when I'm wrong, well I'm wrong, no one is right all the time---not even you Navak! Where's your huge turnip by the way? Still have it? Throw it my way when you see me eh?

Oh and Hanryu---thanks for my laugh of the day! Almost made me spit out my Coke.

Zinaca
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/21/2008 04:15 PM CDT
>As for me becoming like J'Lo...that's a compliment. She knows a lot about the game. But I'm not near her league, and I know it.

LOL. WIN.

You just can't beat that logic.

PS - J'Lo is a dude.
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/21/2008 05:30 PM CDT
>> As for me becoming like J'Lo...that's a compliment. She knows a lot about the game. But I'm not near her league, and I know it.

When someone told me I would read this in this thread I didn't believe them.

LOL. Wow, you... you fail. At play.net, at this thread, at everything.

Rev. Reene

Idon: Why are we taunting the happy fun Y'shai, again?
Me: Idon know.
Idon: You disgust me.
Me: At least I'm not trying to Phelim up.
Idon: Makes me wonder what she's doing to the World Dragon.
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/21/2008 06:10 PM CDT
I read this and really...there are not words.
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/21/2008 06:57 PM CDT
<<>> As for me becoming like J'Lo...that's a compliment. She knows a lot about the game. But I'm not near her league, and I know it.

When someone told me I would read this in this thread I didn't believe them.

LOL. Wow, you... you fail. At play.net, at this thread, at everything.

Rev. Reene>>

I love you too! There always has to be winners and losers! Go me!

Zinaca
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/22/2008 11:54 AM CDT
Keep on posting Zinaca.

Flavius

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/22/2008 03:13 PM CDT
Zinaca, I like you and I hope the banter here isn't getting to ya. But just some words of advice: J'lo thinks he knows a lot about the game. But time and time again, without ceasing, he proves that he would have a better chance at winning the lottery than he would at being right about a subject involving the mechanics of DR.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"

"Why don't you roleplay a character who is NOT retarded? ~Maje
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/22/2008 05:02 PM CDT
<<Zinaca, I like you and I hope the banter here isn't getting to ya. But just some words of advice: J'lo thinks he knows a lot about the game. But time and time again, without ceasing, he proves that he would have a better chance at winning the lottery than he would at being right about a subject involving the mechanics of DR.>>

Gimlias, thanks for the hugs but you know, I always have though J'Lo knows a lot about the game. Far more than I. And sorry J'Lo, I really thought you were a she...like the other other one. But about the game, I bet even GMs don't know EVERYTHING there is about the game and are always right.

And you know the lottery---you know folks DO win those. And boy the day I do, if ever, you will hear me scream for joy even if you live in Alaska.

Ohh and I like you too. Stay in Shard---it grows on you! And Daysey misses you so.

Zinaca and Lucky who howls a "hi"
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/22/2008 05:20 PM CDT
<<And sorry J'Lo, I really thought you were a she>>

he gets that a lot.

:oP Ragran
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/23/2008 07:09 AM CDT
I think at this point J'Lo knows when he is making up stuff. I suspect he has a dart board with generic lines attached to it. After three throws he'd come up with a colorful post which would annoy some of us to no end. Observe.

// throw 1 - an opener with authority
"In 2002 it was stated by several GMs"

// throw 2 - a nonsensical topic
"that eating red flowers"

// throw 3 - the finisher
"provides consent to all war mages on the third Saturday of every month."

- Galren

>>The Rippentropps are a mysterious collective of well-known individuals whose primary charge is to initiate the advancing task of not stopping.
Re: I changed the title for Zinaca 07/23/2008 12:32 PM CDT
<< think at this point J'Lo knows when he is making up stuff. I suspect he has a dart board with generic lines attached to it. After three throws he'd come up with a colorful post which would annoy some of us to no end. Observe.

// throw 1 - an opener with authority
"In 2002 it was stated by several GMs"

// throw 2 - a nonsensical topic
"that eating red flowers"

// throw 3 - the finisher
"provides consent to all war mages on the third Saturday of every month."

- Galren>>

That was so funny I had to repost it. Thanks Galren, that made me laugh on a day when I am sick. Thanks for the laugh.

Zinaca

PS Can we start a J'Lo thread now? I'm really uncomfortable seeing my name in "lights"
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page