Prev_page Previous 1 3
Elves 03/23/2006 09:19 PM CST
Our race has not had a release at all, not so much as a single book or fluff verb or even one new word added into our language in over 5 years time.

The last "release" we had was the racial charts that were released for every race out there. The boards don't go back far enough to see any release before that, but there's been nothing put out there for Elves in a LONG time.

This is the last official update on Elven racial champions

>>Races Guru is Cadaya. Elven Race Champions are Valdrik, Taiga, and Taenorahle.

Which, as you can see from the names on that list, is obviously a little outdated.

>>>>>Is there an ETA on these new elf books?
>>Yes! Unfortunately, I can't share it. :D But I'm not going to say "soon", at least!
>>-Tessima

This was the last post that referenced any sort of release for Elves in any way at all. It was dated 9/4/2003 and we haven't heard a thing about these books that were apparently being worked on since then.

Last poll I saw had Elves coming in as the second largest race right behind humans. Despite all that, we've had no development or work being done on our race at all. We have a handful of roleplaying verbs, all of which are actually so fruity that I'd like a toggle to avoid having my ears turn red or playing pattycake with someone. We've got a pair of books out there which are actually well written and a great starting point, but nothing past then.

We have all this history relating to our clans, to our heritage, to our abilities and our mythology but nothing has been done with any of it for longer than I've even been around.

Going back and reading through every post in this folder from the past 5 years I see a lot of great ideas from a lot of great people. I see a lot of GMs talking about good things coming and none of those things ever have.

Is there any chance that we can beg to any GM out there who currently isn't affiliated with a race and get them to come and play with us? Any GMs reading this folder who like our race, like our history and our players and want to see what they can do to help us out?

We've got great players out there with a lot of good ideas for Elves but we don't have anyone to help push those ideas into the game and I think we desperately need someone.

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Re: Elves 03/23/2006 09:26 PM CST
>not so much as a single book

You may not care about them, but there has been extensive work done on Elven wedding traditions. To that effect something like seven or eight books have been released.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire
Re: Elves 03/23/2006 09:27 PM CST
Agreed. I would especially like to see the long awaited Clan development.

- Xelten Tyrsin
Re: Elves 03/23/2006 09:29 PM CST
Let me add, though... I am also hungry for more development for Elves. Something beyond books.

-Fuquois-

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire
Re: Elves 03/23/2006 09:36 PM CST
Please, do tell what library these books were released into. Any Elven book is a good Elven book.

Just hard to go find and read these books if there's no post made in the Elven folder about them being released.

Any release for us is a good release, even if it only effects the small population of "Elven characters who want to get married in a traditional Elven ceremony and are able to find books released in game without any post on the subject in the Elven folder."

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Re: Elves 03/23/2006 11:26 PM CST
As someone who whole roleplay revoles around being an elf, and as a player I really only play elves, I can see, I couldnt agree more. Elves are seriously lacking development attention. I must strongly agree with Teeklin, and am willing to go on a limb and say elves are probably just as numerous as humans if not more so. We need some releases to come out. Verbs, clans, anything at this point. I had forgotten how excited I got few years ago when I heard about some possible elf releases. Now here we are, as Teeklin pointed out, years laters, with 0 releases. Is it possible to find out if there is still even an elven guru?

~Dark
Re: Elves 03/24/2006 01:01 AM CST
>> I would especially like to see the long awaited Clan development.

Seconded. Give us clans already, pretty please?

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Kystrk quietly says, "I'm going to burn this place down"
>
Kystrk takes a sip of his water.
Re: Elves 03/27/2006 01:45 AM CST
Yes! Clans!

Ruatha

The plaintive voice of one of the last survivors says, "They told me this was a good way to meet girlssssss..........."

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Elves 03/28/2006 07:13 PM CST
at least give us clan related titles.. like sand elf, wind elf etc. How hard could that be?

You are Honorable Kissa Umay, Spirit Healer of the Sand Elf Clan (or some specific clan name)
Re: Elves (coming of the clans) 04/04/2006 12:01 PM CDT
Solomon mentioned the coming of the river clan area this year, maybe one of the boats will be bringing the clan registration booths.

~Saeris

You can't just let nature run wild.
-Wally Hickel, former governor of Alaska
Re: Elves (coming of the clans) 04/08/2006 09:40 PM CDT
<<Solomon mentioned the coming of the river clan area this year, maybe one of the boats will be bringing the clan registration booths.>>

Not to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's possible, just not probable.

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" - Mae West
LF: Forest Elves 02/26/2008 06:57 PM CST
I'm trying to get enough characters together for a plot. IM RangerRaltir, or e-mail play.net.

Some very useful characters to have join would be:
widowed minor nobleman father
family of a royal line with at least one capable representative
unscrupulous types
mystic advisor (Moon Mage or Cleric?)
wedding party (There is already a bride and groom.)
Re: LF: Forest Elves 02/26/2008 06:59 PM CST
Other characters are free to join, as well. There are plenty of ways to write a new character into a plot.
Stuff about Mountain Elves 05/22/2008 11:48 PM CDT
Recently started playing an Elven character (actually two, but only one of them is the concern of this question): he's a Mountain Elf, Barbarian.

Someone who plays a Mountain Elf told me that if someone had grown up in the Queen's court, which I gather is the small, elite group of nobles and minor nobility that serve and have more direct contact with Queen Morganae, they would likely be more sheltered and, it's conceivable, never have been outside the mountain.

For this reason, because I am RPing my character as being the son of such a minor noble, he's sort of..culture shocked, I suppose. Does this seem like it's appropriate, in general?

My second question is specifically about the city of Elamiri itself. Is it entirely underground/inside a mountain? The lore I've read about Garnhedren/Elamiri speaks of towers which stretch up to the sky, but I was always under the impression that Mountain Elves lived -inside- the mountain.

Thanks for your help, folks.

The red-bellied turtle hisses, "slander and hunt me if ye will but good prevails in the end your evil ways shall not be tolerated in these realms for long and ye heart is faint compared to the righteousness that dwells within mine" - Argotheo's turtle
Re: Stuff about Mountain Elves 05/25/2008 12:38 PM CDT
>>he's sort of..culture shocked, I suppose. Does this seem like it's appropriate, in general?<<

More likely he would look at the others with disdain or perhaps reserved amusement. Certainly possible though if that is how you want to play your character.

Elamari, I am not sure about.
Bone Elves 11/23/2008 09:53 AM CST
Are all bone Elves Necromancers and Necromancy always has to do with the undead, yes or no?
Re: Bone Elves 11/23/2008 10:02 AM CST
<<Are all bone Elves Necromancers
Probably not

<<Necromancy always has to do with the undead, yes or no?
No.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Bone Elves 11/23/2008 10:09 AM CST
<<Are all bone Elves Necromancers and Necromancy always has to do with the undead, yes or no?

It depends on whether or not they like long walks in the forest.

And since I have a compulsive urge to correct things, Necromancy is the corruption of Life mana using either Elemental or Lunar mana. Some of this magic deals specifically with corporeal undead, but not all spells do. There is even a type of Necromancer that doesn't use their abilities with undead, although they can with major consequences if they were to choose to do so. More details and related links can be found here: http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Necromancy

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Bone Elves 11/23/2008 12:16 PM CST
>>Are all bone Elves Necromancers...

Somebody's got to clean the toilets. It's illogical to assign guild-identity to Elven (or Dwarven, or Human) subsets, since each one needs to field every profession necessary to keep their flavor of society going, from tailors to warlords. The Elotheans currently have the only social setup where that might possibly work.

>>...and Necromancy always has to do with the undead, yes or no?

No. Though it's obviously an iconic (and arguably the most useful) part of the deal.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Bone Elves 11/23/2008 02:51 PM CST
I imagine the "all Bone Elves are evil and bad and also necromancers" is probably just social hysteria and hundreds of thousands of years of isolation coupled with influential cultures outside of theirs pointing to them and saying they are guilty of myriad horrible crimes. Not saying that there aren't elements of it there, but I wouldn't call all Bone Elves soulless monsters.

One of the reasons I was unhappy with the decision to fill the Bone Elf merchant at the last festival with stuff you'd find in Hot Topic is that it just perpetuates that image of Bone Elves as SRSLY EBUL goth/emo kids. There's the potential for so much more depth than that which just isn't being explored. We saw a little bit of it in the Bone Elf marriage book, I'd love to see more.

Rev. Reene

Gylwyn says to you, "Heretics are often the finders of truth."
Re: Bone Elves 11/23/2008 08:51 PM CST
>>Somebody's got to clean the toilets. It's illogical to assign guild-identity to Elven (or Dwarven, or Human) subsets, since each one needs to field every profession necessary to keep their flavor of society going, from tailors to warlords. The Elotheans currently have the only social setup where that might possibly work.

Profession doesn't insist on any particular method. You could hand me a dustcloth and tell me to dust all the shelves in your office by lunchtime, and if I knew a cantrip that could lift dust off shelves and items therein I could easily set down my dustcloth and cast a spell. Then, because magic is always so much faster, I can go goof off for a while without you knowing (or so I believe.)

That said, it's fairly unlikely that one particular method naturally holds sway over any group of individuals.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Bone Elves 11/25/2008 12:34 PM CST
Perhaps I should clarify what I meant. My remark wasn't intended to imply a guild or sub race generalization. I meant it more as a practice than a professional in the same sense that all 21st century Amercians are cell-phone users. While not everyone owns a cell phone they have probably used one. Also cell phone use is quite accepted and very common in this time and that location. I think the same could be held true with the art of necromancy and Bone Elves. Though not the profession as not everyone works for a cell phone company or uses them for a living. It is interesting to note that it doesn't always relate to undead though. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
One or two of my characters find the idea of the Bone Elf abduction marriage practice oddly appealing. That is not in character exactly as that would be decidedly odd. I mean as a role-playing opportunity OOC as a player I find this of interest to play it out if possible with one of my characters. Let me know if this interests you please.
Re: Bone Elves 11/26/2008 08:31 AM CST
I've always operated with the understanding that the Bone Elf clan is made up of much broader organization than the secretive cabal of powerful necromancers, sorcerers and enchanters that surely make up its most inner circle around Sidhlot.

I can't find the links right now (I'm four or five computer upgrades removed from having them saved in my browser at this point), but my recollection is that a large section (perhaps the majority at this point?) of the Bone Elf clan membership is made up of the cast outs from the other clans and not actual descendants of the original followers of Sidhlot that broke away from Morganae.

So the suggestion by Matron Selidhn that Bone Elves 'look like any other Elf' is, I think, partially due to the fact that they might very well naturally be of any other clan.

In game play by Bone Elven GMNPCs over the years has at times supported the notion that not every Bone Elf is a necromancer. For instance, one example of an event included two Bone Elves that I met on the road north of Leth Deriel. I can't recall everything that was going on with the event anymore, but one of them was a ranger and the other I want to say was a cleric or a thief?

My perspective has always been that the Bone Elf clan is, by virtue of its isolation and Sidhlot's agenda over the years, closer to an insidious underground organization with an agenda than a sprawling individualized and environment-influenced culture like some of the other clans (city elves, forest elves, sand elves, wind elves, etc.) seem to be. In that line of thinking, it made a lot of sense for the Bone Elf room at the festival to be linked through a secret door in the Mountain Elf room.
Re: Bone Elves 11/26/2008 08:38 AM CST
>>I can't find the links right now (I'm four or five computer upgrades removed from having them saved in my browser at this point), but my recollection is that a large section (perhaps the majority at this point?) of the Bone Elf clan membership is made up of the cast outs from the other clans and not actual descendants of the original followers of Sidhlot that broke away from Morganae.

I believe there is a book in Leth Deriel that talks about this.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Bone Elves 11/26/2008 09:42 AM CST
>> So the suggestion by Matron Selidhn that Bone Elves 'look like any other Elf' is, I think, partially due to the fact that they might very well naturally be of any other clan.

It's fair to attribute it partly to that (and that does make sense that the true outcasts of other clans would migrate to one that might accept them) but there is also the tradition of bridal abduction that would probably introduce all sorts of new blood into the system and make your average Bone Elf pretty hard to distinguish.

There is obviously some kind of culture there, but I don't think it's wrong to assert it's pretty decentralized and that the books mostly just describe the "inner circle" which revolves around Sidhlot.

Rev. Reene

Re: Bone Elves 11/26/2008 11:57 AM CST
I suppose any group eventually takes on a culture of its own over time. I guess I had the inspiration and influences of the Bone Elf culture and the differences between that and the other clans more in mind.

That brings up a couple of questions for me too. I missed the entire Outcast saga and pretty much all developments since as well. Are the Outcasts the Sand Elves, or are the two peoples not related at all?

Also, if a Mountain Elf and a Wind Elf wed and have children, are their children Mountain Elves or Wind Elves? Is it a question of choice, upbringing and/or location of upbringing? Are they neither?

Further (and perhaps by contrast), if a Bone Elf and a Wind Elf wed and have children, whether the Wind Elf knew the true clan affiliation of their mate or not, are their children possible Bone Elves? Same questions as above, and additionally, does it matter whether the Bone Elf was of the original bloodlines or from new blood that was assimilated in over the centuries?
Re: Bone Elves 11/26/2008 12:09 PM CST
>> Are the Outcasts the Sand Elves, or are the two peoples not related at all?

Outcasts are disproportionately Elven. Sand Elves are a separate clan, though there's a bit of crossover due to intermarriage. Not all Outcasts are Elves, just most of them.

>> Also, if a Mountain Elf and a Wind Elf wed and have children, are their children Mountain Elves or Wind Elves? Is it a question of choice, upbringing and/or location of upbringing? Are they neither?

Elven families are matrilineal. So generally, whichever clan the mother is, that would be what the child is. However, the child also inherits the rights and status of both families. I think if they grew up among the father's clan instead of the mother's they could choose to associate and identify with the culture they grew up with. This might vary depending on which clan you're talking about.

>> Further (and perhaps by contrast), if a Bone Elf and a Wind Elf wed and have children, whether the Wind Elf knew the true clan affiliation of their mate or not, are their children possible Bone Elves?

I think the knee-jerk reaction to this from your average Elf would be to call them a Bone Elf and tell them to sod off, regardless of if they or their other parent knew; it's definitely something I would expect them to want to keep secret.

Bone Elves are the only Elven clan that is patrilineal, incidentally. In instances of bridal abduction I imagine any child produced from the union is considered of that clan by that clan regardless of what the mother has to say about it.

Rev. Reene

Re: Bone Elves 11/26/2008 12:37 PM CST
From what I have heard of your character Caelumia she identifies as a Mountain Elf. May I ask were both her parents of the Mountain Clan or merely her mother or the parent who raised her?

Also I was curious regarding the relationship between sand Elves and Outcasts myself. Thank you for the information. I have noted as different characters that a fair number of Prydaens and Rakash refer to themselves as Outcasts. This could be that they joined due to exile and being cut off from their true homelands.

As far as role-playing the abduction marriage it seems that the culture shock of being forced from a Matralinal environment into a Patrilinal and even Patriarchial one in itself could be highly traumatic especially for a very long lived race as Elves.
Re: Bone Elves 11/27/2008 07:01 AM CST
>>Elven families are matrilineal. So generally, whichever clan the mother is, that would be what the child is. However, the child also inherits the rights and status of both families. I think if they grew up among the father's clan instead of the mother's they could choose to associate and identify with the culture they grew up with.

This was my understanding from some of the reading I had done earlier on, as I was trying to develop or flesh out my back story.

Francelia.
Re: Bone Elves 12/05/2008 06:44 PM CST
Chiming in a little late here, but the general conversation on the dark side among Team Elf was:

K: If the bone elves masquerade as other clans, how do we figure out some clothes for them?

L: Well... you know, if I was an evil necromancer... And I didn't really like people pointing at me every time I went out and shrieking "Bone Elf! Keel him!" Then I would try to let people think I was some other elven clan. And, to keep people from suspecting, I'd make sure that people have a preconceived notion of what a bone elf looks like.

If it was me, I'd hire a bunch of younger bone elves to dress up in dark clothes with bones in their noses and goth type makeup, so that everyone would see them and assume all bone elves dress like that. Then I'd saunter out wearing lemon yellow trousers and carrying a parasol with fringe on it.

K: Ooohhhhh kay...

K walked away, shaking her head at that point, but through the magic of "Wouldn't it be cool if..." we did get the stereotypical "this is what a bone elf looks like" outfits. No, it's not necessarily what the bone elves wear among themselves, but as a very private clan, it's what outsiders think they wear, and the merchant who provided the clothes wasn't a bone elf himself.

-Linda / Danalae
Re: Bone Elves 12/05/2008 07:58 PM CST
Yay for Team Elf. I'm glad there is a Team Elf, I think the clan shop at the festival was a great step in the right direction.

- Terra
Wind Elves 01/22/2009 09:17 PM CST
Hello!,
So I've decided my crazy little elf will have wind clan as part of her background. I've read the tiny tidbit on elanthipedia, is there anywhere that is a more indepth source about them? I love to PR and so learning more would be yummy.

Thanks!
Re: Wind Elves 01/23/2009 11:35 AM CST
For more informaiton on Wind Elves..I would read the bit on Elanthipedia, of course, and then go to the libraries section of Elanthipedia and look in the Crossings Academy library for information on wedding rituals. That provides a bit more insight into their culture.

And you could also visit Zaldi Taipa (Horse Clan) in Ilithi for more information, as that is a Wind Elf clan.

Terra

~ The song that is irresistable ~
River Elves? 08/17/2009 12:22 PM CDT
I've an elf character who I've decided comes from the River Elf Clan. The idea was she grew up on the oceans and ended up left behind on land during what was supposed to be a brief stop at Ilaya Taipa. I've read up what little there is on Elanthipedia, but was wondering if:

1: There are other players of River Elves/descendents of River Elves to RP with out there
2: There's more information on River Elves out there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Re: River Elves? 08/17/2009 01:00 PM CDT
My bard in plat is a River Elf as well, and some of the information he draws from is in-game books (Trefaun Draus, Elven Folks, Marriage Customs) and lore related to the Merelew which I see as potentially influential in river elf history. (Elanthipedia has good links)

Ilaya Taipa is in itself influential in my character's outlook, having a deep enjoyment of the dwarves culture and lands and their weavings into the greater sum that is Kemoria.

In plat you can find me as Ryken.

- The Moose
Re: River Elves? 08/17/2009 01:46 PM CDT
Thanks! That was a faster response than I'd expected :)

Unfortunately I'm only on prime otherwise I'd track you down, but thanks for the info. I'm working on a bit more research now.
Re: River Elves? 08/17/2009 02:16 PM CDT
I've met a few River Elves in Prime actually. Francelica comes to mind. I'm having a hard time remembering the names of the others though.

- Terra
Re: River Elves? 08/17/2009 02:18 PM CDT
Amelilu.

Believe Kandalas is as well.

Rev. Reene

Foresee exclaims, "Everyone is always so suspicious! "What was that powder you just slipped into my drink?" They don't ask the other sects that!"
Re: River Elves? 08/17/2009 03:20 PM CDT
Foresee is a Wind Elf, but through a convoluted string of backstory and arpee his mother is a River Elf and he has spent a not insignificant amount of time with them.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: River Elves? 08/17/2009 06:15 PM CDT
>Foresee is a Wind Elf

>mother is a River Elf

You're Doing It Wrong.
Prev_page Previous 1 3