Prev_page Previous 1
Man is this true? 10/07/2002 10:43 PM CDT

An Elothean with the strength of 30, is not as strong as a tog with the strength of 30? But if a tog has 30 intel and wisdom he earns just as much exp as an Elothean with the same? Now I can see why the elothean isn't as strong as this big ass tog, but togs have small bald heads, and Elotheans look like a hot air balloon walking around, shouldn't it ring true Elotheans get an experience bonus for the size of thier extrodinarily large melons just as togs get a bonus for being huge?

Re: Man is this true? 10/07/2002 11:38 PM CDT
No, Elothians should just become as strong as a Tog with the same strength. Thats the way it SHOULD be, and the way it DOES work in just about every aspect of the game. The only place where it is different is in encumberance. I don't agree with it. 1 bazillion strength for a Tog should be 1 bazillion strength for a Gnome.

Drakkenn Rarenth, a Tog
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 03:33 AM CDT
>>shouldn't it ring true Elotheans get an experience bonus for the size of thier extrodinarily large melons just as togs get a bonus for being huge?

If you get the same +2 to your overall stats, sure. It's not worth it. Trust me. :P
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 03:59 AM CDT
<<If you get the same +2 to your overall stats, sure. It's not worth it. Trust me. :P >>

Okay then, now if Togs get that stat imbalance corrected, which I believe was instituted in the first place because of thier much larger capacity to carry items, should the playing field be leveled in that area and the carrying capacities for each race, rank by rank be evened out because the Togs would no longer have that imbalance?

Garret
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 04:25 AM CDT
>should the playing field be leveled in that area and the carrying capacities for each race, rank by rank be evened out because the Togs would no longer have that imbalance?

Read the thread(s) started by me in the general discussion races folder.Things are in the works.

Drachus
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 05:59 AM CDT
>>should the playing field be leveled in that area and the carrying capacities for each race, rank by rank be evened out because the Togs would no longer have that imbalance?

Like Drachus said, but yes, stat by stat, that's what we're pushing for.
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 08:55 AM CDT
Yay! More fluff time!

-Zakarious, elothean brawler
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 10:19 AM CDT
>Yay! More fluff time!

Not nessicarily. I think what happens now is that Togs have a bonus to encumberance or something, and everyone else is normal. What would happen would be that Togs would go back down to normal, not everyone else come up to Togs. But hey, we dunno whats gonna happen. Hopefully something good!
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 10:39 AM CDT
>Not nessicarily. I think what happens now is that Togs have a bonus to encumberance or something, and everyone else is normal.

Actually not true.Soims stats has a nice chart of racial encumberance modifiers.Heres a link.....

http://www.arthedale.com/olvi/soimstats.html

Youll notice that gnomes get pretty screwed over.
What my suggestion has been is to make strengh and stamina involved soley in the encumberance determination,but make them less beneficial the higher you train them,in a similiar fashion that training mentals affect learning less and less the higher you train them.

Drachus
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 01:29 PM CDT
As I stated the last several times this same thread has started up, I would agree to the abolishment of the racial encumberance modifier charts on one condition ... you want balance, we go ALL the way.

The smaller the race, the lower the point where adding strength incurs increasingly higher penalties to their agility/reflex results. Look up the word "musclebound" if you need explanation as to why.

Putting the same muscles as Arnold Schwarzzeneger (I just KNOW I screwed his name up but I dont feel like looking it up) on a Gnome would make them a powerful little ball that had to evade by rolling around on the ground rather than just bobbing and weaving.

I think instead we should keep the charts and continue in the same direction ... Togs get an advantage to encumberance because of their larger frame, but Gnomes get an inherent advantage avoiding to being hit because they are a smaller target (with all the shades of grey in between, same as encumberance).

Then apply similar differences to other stats. A Tog can get as many intelligence "points" as an Elothean, yes ... but because a Tog's brain is smoother with fewer nerve "superhighways" between the hemispheres, they get less per point than the Elotheans who have brains almost gouged out with convolutions (any biologist will tell you its the severity of folds in the brain's surface and the extent of its internal connections, not its size, which determines mental capacity ... hence why a rat can be smarter than creatures with brains ten times the size of the rats' brain).

Because of their natural litheness, Elves and Prydaens gain more per point from agility and reflex. In this case, the other end of the spectrum would be Dwarves, due to their compacted and dense frames.

The races would also have a similar spectrum for the effects of charisma, with Dwarves and Kaldarans at the top end (being the boisterous and outspoken ones they are) and the "quieter" races such as Elotheans and Prydaen at the other end.

Halflings and dwarves, tough little buggers that they are, would be on the gifted end of the stamina spectrum. Gnomes and possibly Elotheans would get the short end of that stick.

Please don't argue all my choices above, just making some shots from the hip right here on the spot to try and explain the concept. In no way is it a complete and polished suggestion. Left a lot out, too.

~~~Krin
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 04:45 PM CDT
>Putting the same muscles as Arnold Schwarzzeneger (I just KNOW I screwed his name up but I dont feel like looking it up) on a Gnome would make them a powerful little ball that had to evade by rolling around on the ground rather than just bobbing and weaving.

Thats thinking in non-fantasy world terms.Why wouldnt the gnome just be one dense little bugger with the strength but not the mass(picture superman,the guys from dragonball,ect)

Drachus
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 05:47 PM CDT
Sure, if you put Arnold's muscles on a gnome, the gnome wouldn't be able to move. But if a gnome trained harder than Arnold did, he would develop muscles that would fit perfectly well on his body. Yes, there is a point where muscular development is no longer possible. Nobody in the game has reached that point yet, however. For the sake of argument, say the cap is 100. A Tog's 100 and a Gnome's 100 should be the same. They are just used in different ways on the body. It is hard to know the exact possibilities without a more accurate accounting of the anatomy and physiology of the varied races of the realms; so far the only anatomy book I have heard of is for the S'kra. The difference between the races SHOULD be the amount of training that one puts into it. Gnomes are a very weak race, Togs a very strong one. Will a Tog get to the Strength cap quickly? Yes, naturally. Will a Gnome make it there at all? Probably not. The inverse is true, as well. Will a Gnome cap wisdom (or whatever their 'good' stat is) quick? Yep! Will a Tog cap wisdom? Never. Heh, it costs me 64 TDP's to go from 16 to 17 intelligence, I can't imagine what 99 to 100 would be like.
Re: Man is this true? 10/08/2002 07:34 PM CDT
Don't forget that the size of someone hinders their ability to lift extra weight. If yer arms are the size of trucks, you have to exert to lift them. A truck an a half is just as hard to you, as a half a truck to someone with much lighter build. I know a guy who's a tooth pick, but can lift more than my other muscle bound friend, and by a startling amount. Yet, when not pumped (as he does yet that Mr. Roshi powering up from DB thing going on) you wouldn't know the strength he has. It is true that a species cannot survive solely on intellengence, or solely on strength. So, there are ALWAYS exceptions. That's all, I'm done.

-Zakarious, Storm Mage
Re: Man is this true? 10/09/2002 12:37 AM CDT
>>Krin's post

That's what the plus and minus TDP modifiers are supposed to simulate.
Re: Man is this true? 10/09/2002 07:38 AM CDT
Speaking in physical correctness, a Tog's muscles on a Gnome and the Gnome would be unable to move and not because of being a little ball of muscles but because his arm bones are too short. A Tog's muscle, fully flexed are probably still longer than a Gnomes whole arm. You couldn't tighten them enough to make the arm move.

So, let's say we can pack the same strength into a smaller package. Trained up, Tog muscle and Gnome muscle have the same power dispite the size difference. We then have to consider leverage. Little home experiment; go to an open door. Close it with one finger by pushing near the doorknob. Now do the same by pushing near the hinge. Big long Tog arms are like pushing the door with the most leverage. Gnomes just have less leverage.

BUT, while this shows that Tog and Gnome strengths won't be the same with the same stats it has nothing to do with the current encumbrance penalties. Leverage would be involved with picking the item up but once you're wearing it there is no difference. It's now more a concern of balance, which with a Gnomes 2 bonus to reflex and 1 to agility and a Tog's 1 penalty to reflex, the Gnome should be able to "balance" more without falling over.

-Qaton, Gnome.
Re: Man is this true? 10/10/2002 03:15 AM CDT
>>BUT, while this shows that Tog and Gnome strengths won't be the same with the same stats it has nothing to do with the current encumbrance penalties. Leverage would be involved with picking the item up but once you're wearing it there is no difference.

Like I said before, this is what the + and - stat modifiers are immitating in the first place. Besides, the opposite of that is also true in some instances. Less distance equals less effort exerted. Shorter guys, or guys with short legs have a much easier time squatting higher weights than tall guys or guys with longer legs because of the shorter distance they have to move the weight.
Re: Man is this true? 10/12/2002 10:07 AM CDT
It is currently true that aside from burden, a Gor'Tog with 50 strength and an Elothean with 50 strength are exactly the same, as the penalty has already been used by the Elothean spending probably (not gonna do the math, but someone can feel free to post it if they are bored) five or six times as many TDPs as the Tog. Personally, just means less fluff. Besides, I (as an elothean) do understand that even if I'm strong, big difference between lifting and carrying indefinately.

-Zakarious
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 08:49 PM CDT
[few days late, but hey ... I was out of town :-P]

>>BARBAROUS>>Like I said before, this is what the + and - stat modifiers are immitating in the first place.

They are only half of it.

Let's presume the GM's intend for the races to perform as they do now. Eliminating the racial weight modifier chart means the only thing that changes is their ability to shoulder burden goes up. Well, you are now getting MORE per TDP point than you did before. To maintain the balance, TDP costs would have to be modified. In that Gnome's case, the penalty goes up.

So for the same number of TDP's you will have fewer points of strength. Fewer points of strength means higher weapon RT's, lower performance in certain skills/abilities/systems (climbing, swimming, forging and the like) and quicker fatigue. You will be worse off than you are now.

But it sounds like you want the table to go away with no adjustment to TDP costs. Which means you want something for nothing.

Sorry, but I just can't buy that, when the balance is fine as it is now. A Gnome shouldn't be carrying a freakin store full of goods on their back, plain and simple. And for those who complain, I say you just don't know how to do it right. They say the same things about halflings ... and my 1st circle Halfling Thief did just fine in goblins, thank you very much. Gained 2 circles his first couple of days out. ;-)

You just have to quit trying to play a 1st circle character as if they were 50th circle already and had earned all the perks that go with it. It's a small race, it has some drawbacks. You want the strength of a Tog ... PLAY ONE.

Simple.

The smaller races pay for their strength deficits by gaining perks in things such as agility, reflex and mentals. Hence my suggestion in the other post that the other stats should have similar racial differences.

Another possibility is flagged armor. Just like only a Tog can wear an ogre hauberk, make some armor custom-tailored for the "little people" (Dwarves, Halflings and Gnomes). Whatever flag it is that tells the system whether they get the 55% (larger races) or 27% (smaller races) worn item modifier would also dictate who can wear these special armors. If you have the "small" flag (27%) you can wear them ... otherwise you can't (too small).

A "munchkin brand" WC set of leathers would have the same protection factors but only ... say ... 60% of the base weight. Since WC's weigh 550 stones, they currently weigh 302-303 stones when worn by the larger races and 148-149 stones for the smaller. The small set is 60% of the base weight, 330 stones, making them 89 stones when worn by the smaller races.

And since its the base weight getting modified, these special armors are also lighter in the backpack as well as on the body. And since only the "little people" can wear them, it would effectively be a bonus to their TDP spending.

That would be a start, I think.

~~~Krin
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 08:55 PM CDT
<<Just like only a Tog can wear an ogre hauberk>>

Are you just guessing on this or can togs wear them now?

Last time my tog tried to wear one, it was "too big" for her.

Just so you folks know ,though, there ARE some "sized" armor in-game.
Shard Racial armor.
Olvi and Rakash festival armor.
Gnome wagon by Shard.
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:01 PM CDT
Taking away the racial encumbrance chart and leaving TDP costs as is (except to balance the togs) would be acceptable. Keeping the encumbrance chart and TDP costs as is (except for the togs again), and give similer perks/penalties to all the rest of the races/stats would be acceptable as well. But only STR/STA and encumbrance being efected by race is unacceptable. The smaller races get penalties without corresponding perks which is unfair.

~Daergoth
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:16 PM CDT
Strength and Stamina are unaffected in and of themselves by race. Encumbrance and TDPs are the only things that change. I have as much strength as a Tog of my strength. I can lift what he can lift, however, I cannot carry what he can carry. I'm not quite seeing the problem with this? TDPs even out with bonuses. So, all yer left with is that you cannot carry 24/7 what a Tog can lug around.

-Zakarious, pondering larger helmets for Elotheans. <g>
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:20 PM CDT
Encumberance isnt a straight up bonus.Togs have a higher threshold per strength and stamina points,kaldar and skra more,then humans,and so on and so forth.Kinda like togs have a higher multiplier.

Drachus
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:23 PM CDT
>>Strength and Stamina are unaffected in and of themselves by race. Encumbrance and TDPs are the only things that change. I have as much strength as a Tog of my strength. I can lift what he can lift, however, I cannot carry what he can carry. I'm not quite seeing the problem with this? TDPs even out with bonuses. So, all yer left with is that you cannot carry 24/7 what a Tog can lug around.

True, STR/STA in themselves arn't effected, but the racial effect on encumbrance is based on them. The problem is, sure, togs and kaldar can carry more stuff then equally strong halflings and gnomes, seem reasonable...but the halfling and gnome can't avoid hits better with everything being equal, even though they're much smaller and harder to hit. Thus, large races get a bonus, small races get a penalty but no bonus for them that makes up for it. The togs have unbalanced stats to make up for their advantage, kaldar and skra have no penalty at all.

~Daergoth
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:28 PM CDT
>>Gonif>>Are you just guessing on this or can togs wear them now? Last time my tog tried to wear one, it was "too big" for her.

No, I was told this by someone who said they had done it. But I guess now I need to ask to make sure they just didn't find a bug. You want to know who, I will tell you, but not here ... and pretty sure you know them. ;-)

And, Gonif ... when I am guessing I say as much, thank you. Please stick to the suggestion rather than just nitpicking in an attempt to derail it. Thanks again.

~~~Krin
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:46 PM CDT
I have worn ogre hauberks on several occasion.Heh im actually insignificantly hindered in em.They suck as far as HC armor is concerned.

Drachus
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 09:47 PM CDT
So, what you are saying is that you have no problem with encumbrance racial differences, but you are requesting that races get a defensive bonus based on race body size, and are using the encumbrance factor as a reason, right?

-Zak
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 10:11 PM CDT
>>The togs have unbalanced stats to make up for their advantage>>

which is soon changing.

<<Krin's post>>

I am not attempting to "derail" anything. I was curious about that as my tog had never been able to wear the hauberks, when she first wanted to train HC in order to work multi as a barb. Although that was before they made training multiple armors from peripheal armor possible. So it was a question.
Stop being so paranoid.
-me-
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 10:12 PM CDT
>>So, what you are saying is that you have no problem with encumbrance racial differences, but you are requesting that races get a defensive bonus based on race body size, and are using the encumbrance factor as a reason, right?

No, it doesn't have to be defensive bonuses, I used that as an example, basically either all races need special modifiers for their stats, or none should. As long as it's fair all around and not unbalanced like it is now. It's not even all physical, there's mentals too, a tog who works their mentals to be equal to an elothians doesn't have anything work differently with their tiny tog brain then a giant elothian superbrain. a mental=a mental reguardless of race. it should be all or nothing, not just one race/stat system then benifits some and penalizes others without any sort of counter balance.

~Daergoth

~Daergoth
Re: Man is this true? 10/15/2002 10:13 PM CDT
Say you've got two guys, one a skinny little guy the other with a naturally muscular build. They both start lifting weights heavily and both become body builders. The skinnier guy will eventually get just as big as the Arnold look-alike (I've seen it happen), and it's even possible that the skinny guy will be able to outlift the big guy. It's just going to take him that much more work to do so. This is what the TDP modifiers imply.

Anyway, we shouldn't penalize any race twice in any one area, which the smaller races suffer from right now, or give a double bonus to races either like we Togs currently have with encumbrance. If you're idea were to be implemented, I'd expect every race to just go to a 0 TDP modifier for every stat, since the inherit abilities of each race would be taking effect through the means you suggested.

Oh, and Togs can wear ogre hauberks. I used to do so regularly.
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 10:16 AM CDT
>>Gonif>>Stop being so paranoid.

<chuckle>

Can I quote you on that? :-D

~~~Krin
:-P
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 10:21 AM CDT
>>Anyway, we shouldn't penalize any race twice in any one area

I will say it ... one ... more ... time ...

It is NOT a double penalty. It is the SAME penalty split into two parts. They could have based it ALL on TDP's, but the TDP factors we have would have to be changed to account for it (as I tried to make clear in my previous posts). They could have eliminated differences in TDP cost and based it ALL on specific tables and charts for each race, but currently strength is the only stat which uses them.

If you want them changed, then you must show that the current TOTAL effect is undesirable and show why, besides just "I can't do as much as JohhnyTog because he can carry more" (well, duh, he's three times your size ...).

Once you have shown the total effect is imbalanced then you can adjust one factor or the other to get the total effect in line with where it should be. Otherwise, dropping the racial encumberance charts modifies that total effect and you have to balance it back to where it was before by adjusting TDP costs.

And, as I also showed before, you DON'T want that.

~~~Krin
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 10:47 AM CDT
The LAST time this came up a GM came in and said she'd look into it. This thread is pretty much just to catch up the people who didn't discuss it the first time, nothing new at all has been mentioned here. So sorry Krin, even though you're a big strapping Kaldar who gets more benifit than any other race from this system, I'm afraid it's likely to change sometime in the future.

~Daergoth
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 11:01 AM CDT
>>Daergoth>>even though you're a big strapping Kaldar who gets more benifit than any other race from this system

You mean "any other race besides Togs", right? ;-)

They can carry a bit more than we can, point-for-point. Yes, they have a TDP mod imbalance but that is one thing I do hope goes away.

~~~Krin
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 01:34 PM CDT
Just so misinformation isn't spread around any more than it already is, S'kra and I'm fairly sure least one other race have the same benefit as Kaldar, and Gor'togs definately outstrip us.

Toren
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 02:33 PM CDT
Perhaps everyone would be happy if you could train encumbrance. When you roll, usually your key stats have a max much higher than your not so good skills. (like, if I can remember that far back, elothean STR max: 8, INT max: 12) So, larger races would have a bit of a starting advantage. Then, if you luged around 1400 stones, you eventually are able to carry it easier and your burden is decreased. If you carry 600 stones all the time, your encumbrance will not change. Fairly simple, and it would increase RELATIVE to your encumbrance, so someone with mass carrying ability wouldn't hit a curve and become godlike. Just a thought...

-Zak
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 06:19 PM CDT
>>It is NOT a double penalty. It is the SAME penalty split into two parts.

How is it not a double penalty? Gnome spends a bazillion TDPs to up strength. Gnome gets far less from each point than a Tog (or any larger race) would and for a much greater TDP cost.

>>They could have based it ALL on TDP's, but the TDP factors we have would have to be changed to account for it

Currently it is all based on TDPs, except for encumbrance which we've been petitioning to change so as to get our TDPs evened out. There's no reason the TDP costs would need to be adjusted. The gnome's penalty to burden would be their insanely high TDP costs to train strength and stamina.

>>If you want them changed, then you must show that the current TOTAL effect is undesirable and show why, besides just "I can't do as much as JohhnyTog because he can carry more" (well, duh, he's three times your size ...).

It's undesirable because we Togs are penalized for it like no other race is.

>>Once you have shown the total effect is imbalanced then you can adjust one factor or the other to get the total effect in line with where it should be. Otherwise, dropping the racial encumberance charts modifies that total effect and you have to balance it back to where it was before by adjusting TDP costs.

Again, you wouldn't need to adjust the TDP costs. Those would be the racial penalties and bonuses for it being based solely on strength/stamina, i.e. most Togs will be able to carry more because of their higher strength and stamina due to the ease of training them. Most gnomes would be able to carry less due to their lower strength and stamina due to the pain in the ass it is to train them. However, if a gnome worked his butt off and caught up to the Tog in them, the gnome would be able to carry just as much as the Tog. Again, as it is now, it's a double penalty for the gnome. If he trains his butt off and gets high strength, stamina, he should be able to use them just as well as a Tog.

>>And, as I also showed before, you DON'T want that.

Oh, but we do.
Re: Man is this true? 10/16/2002 06:20 PM CDT
>>You mean "any other race besides Togs", right?

Heh, do I sense some Tog-envy? Anyway, as Daergoth said, this has all been discussed a hundred times before and is already being looked at.
Re: Man is this true? 10/17/2002 12:22 AM CDT
the encumbrance bonuses/penalties, while they might seem a bit unfair, really do have a good base in reality. let's think about the difference between the carrying capacity of a 10 foot tall tog with a 3 foot wide shoulder span, and a 2 to 3 foot tall gnome with a 12 inch shoulder span. assuming both of them have the exact same stats, and you were moving, which one would you want carrying your refrigerator? i'd have a damn hard time believing that a gnome could lift a refrigerator, but i wouldn't doubt that a tog could lift one and carry it for quite some time without too much of a problem.

strength and stamina, while damned important in lifting (and far more importantly in an encumbrance situation) carrying for a prolonged period of time, aren't the only concideration. a tog is quite simply going to have better leverage and a far larger back area where backpacks are going to be held. a gnome's 2 square feet of back versus a tog's 12 square feet of back space is simply too great a difference to go only on strength and stamina. there's only so much that you can fit on a gnome. togs were bred for heavy lifting and manual labor, gnomes figured out ways around the labor, like building wooden scaffolds with simple cranes on top of them.

this brings up other problems though...like the idea of a gnome wielding a flamberge, or a tog trying to hold a throwing knife, but the chances of weapons being different weapon classes to different races (or even unusable) are pretty damned slim, so let's just pretend i didn't say anything about it

Jaebom --and leave s'kra outta this, i'm already trying hard to keep my encumbrance down
Re: Man is this true? 10/17/2002 12:30 AM CDT
the question remains.... why would the tog carry the refrigerator without gobbling the contents first?
Re: Man is this true? 10/17/2002 12:35 AM CDT
i never said he wouldn't...i simply said it would be easier by far for the tog to move it...i assumed the refrigerator would be empty already anyway.

Jaebom --who the hell moves a full refrigerator?
Prev_page Previous 1