Prev_page Previous 1
Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 09:50 AM CST
I'd like to get your opinions on the name and overall tone of the Paladin guild skill.

WHAT IT IS:
This will be the skill of using the Paladin's sacred soul to various effects. This will influence most every Paladin ability short of magic. The theme is that the Paladin sacrifices some of his spiritual power and produces manifest holiness of some form in its wake.

WHAT IT MIGHT BE:
I'm currently in an internal debate about whether it should be presented as "spiritual wisdom," like holy occult lore, or presented as raw, naked expressions of the Paladin's soul strength. This would influence both name choice and how revised abilities message. This is not to say we can't play with both concepts in the guild, merely that one will take the limelight.

WHY NOT ASCETICISM:
Previously we pitched the name Asceticism as the guild skill. While it works in the sense of reflecting someone who is devoted to a lifestyle to grow their spirituality, it also has implications that aren't really reflected in the guild or the game. In a pinch I'd be happy to continue using it, but I think we can get to the same place without suggesting Paladins should doff their items.

POTENTIAL NAMES:
Immanance
Soulshaping
Arete
Emanation
Sacred Signs
Spiritual Might
(Or others. Feel free to suggest.)

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 10:25 AM CST

> or presented as raw, naked expressions of the Paladin's soul strength.

I like this. Remove the facade. Provide feedback similar to a barbarian's inner fire bar or mana bar. You know how much strength you have.

> POTENTIAL NAMES

My vote:
1. (new) Sacred Insight (keep the name, repurpose spells that boost this ability to feed/enhance this pool instead)
2. Immanance
3. (new) Conviction or Devotion (represents their connection to their guiding set of principals)
4. (new) Fanaticism (represents the unwavering drive of the paladin, caused by their adherance to their faith)
5. Emanation
6. Soulshaping (sounds cool, but it sounds more warrior mage and soul-familiars)
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 10:42 AM CST
I was never a huge fan of the asceticism vibe, and am happy to see a shift.

Speaking personally, I would like to see more emphasis placed on the Paladins connection and impact with the world, and the interaction of the soul through the mortal lens instead of a more Divine focused vibe.

Samsaren
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 12:17 PM CST
I like conviction; it somewhat mirrors barbarians (the other ostensibly 'front line' combat guild) but in reverse. It also puts the emphasis on a paladin relating to the world. I think that 'occult lore' is probably best (or even over) represented by the Cleric guild due to skill placements. And that making it about holy occultism would just tie the guild back into 'not quite as good as clerics', which is something you're actively trying to step out of.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 01:42 PM CST
Conviction is a good name. I think Emanation works well with the actual mechanic of what is occurring though.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 07:16 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: I'm currently in an internal debate about whether it should be presented as "spiritual wisdom," like holy occult lore, or presented as raw, naked expressions of the Paladin's soul strength. This would influence both name choice and how revised abilities message. This is not to say we can't play with both concepts in the guild, merely that one will take the limelight.

I'd prefer to conceptualize it as the expression of a Paladin's soul. "Occult wisdom" strays a little too close to Clerics (and also sounds similar to the occult thanatological rites performed by Necromancers).

>>Ashaman1: Speaking personally, I would like to see more emphasis placed on the Paladins connection and impact with the world, and the interaction of the soul through the mortal lens instead of a more Divine focused vibe.

This.

>>DR-Armifer: POTENTIAL NAMES

From most to least favored, I'd rank your options as:
1. Soulshaping
2. Arete
3. Emanation
4. Immanance
5. Spiritual Might
6. Sacred Signs

I could potentially warm to immanence or emanation with some explanation of how they apply in the context of Paladins.

Some other possibilities (just spitballing):
Fortitude: a sort of endurance of the soul; forbearance, strength, endurance, and the ability to confront fear, uncertainty, and intimidation (fits thematically into the armor skillset)
Resolve
Determination
Integrity
Gravitas: weight, seriousness, dignity, and importance; connotes a certain substance or depth of personality. It also conveys a sense of responsibility and commitment to the task.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 07:36 PM CST
>>I could potentially warm to immanence or emanation with some explanation of how they apply in the context of Paladins.

Emanation comes from two directions. Emanationism is a thing in religious thought, and Hermetic philosophy and its off-shoots sometimes posit wonder-working through willful manipulation of divine emanations. The other side of the coin is the visual of the Paladin's holiness emanating from his soul.

Immanence is in religious thought the opposite of transcendence when trying to describe the nature of divinity. Transcendental thinking is that God exists outside the universe, Immanence posits that God is active and suffuses reality. In practical terms, it'd refer to the Paladin bringing immanence of the abstract realm of the divine down into to the concrete.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/11/2017 07:40 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: Emanation comes from two directions. Emanationism is a thing in religious thought, and Hermetic philosophy and its off-shoots sometimes posit wonder-working through willful manipulation of divine emanations. The other side of the coin is the visual of the Paladin's holiness emanating from his soul.

>>DR-Armifer: Immanence is in religious thought the opposite of transcendence when trying to describe the nature of divinity. Transcendental thinking is that God exists outside the universe, Immanence posits that God is active and suffuses reality. In practical terms, it'd refer to the Paladin bringing immanence of the abstract realm of the divine down into to the concrete.

Either of those would work, thematically. Immanence would be my first preference.

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/12/2017 11:53 AM CST
I like "conviction" too - where a cleric shows "devotion" the paladin shows the "conviction" of their soul and themselves.

Yeah, I like "conviction"

JMO

Respectfully,

Player of Cristalyn and others
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/12/2017 01:37 PM CST

> Yeah, I like "conviction"

Me too, the more that I think about it, and only in part because all the wordplay I expect from people looking for a class on conviction.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/12/2017 01:40 PM CST
Conviction is growing on me. Probably a race between Conviction and Immanence right now (of course, still open to other suggestions!).

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/12/2017 01:57 PM CST

I really like conviction as well.

~Zaud in Plat
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/12/2017 04:03 PM CST
I prefer Conviction over Immanence (and others suggested) because it's easier described and more common in the vernacular. Keep it simple for such a foundational part of the game.

Nikpack
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/12/2017 08:41 PM CST
I'm not a paladin prime, but I do have a few paladin characters. I like the idea of Conviction!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 04:25 AM CST
>>DR-Armifer: Conviction is growing on me. Probably a race between Conviction and Immanence right now (of course, still open to other suggestions!).

When I first saw Conviction suggested, I liked it (it does make an interesting contrast with clerical devotion), but the more I think about it, Conviction seems like an odd name for a skill. Conviction is more of a state of mind, and it's neither unique to Paladins nor something that would be derived from ranks.

1. The act of convincing one of the truth of something; especially, the act of convincing of error; confutation.
2. The state of being convinced or fully persuaded; strong belief on the ground of satisfactory reasons or evidence; the conscious assent of the mind; settled persuasion; a fixed or firm belief: as, an opinion amounting to conviction
3. Specifically The state of being convinced that one is or has been acting in opposition to conscience; the state of being convicted of wrong-doing or sin; strong admonition of the conscience; religious compunction.

Moreover, Conviction doesn't tie in as strongly to the underlying lore (as currently understood) for how Paladin supernatural abilities work: material manifestations of the sanctified soul, or as Armifer put it, "bringing the abstract realm of the divine down into to the concrete." Thematically, Immanence (or even Emanation) would be a better description of that concept.

>>Nikpack: I prefer Conviction over Immanence (and others suggested) because it's easier described and more common in the vernacular. Keep it simple for such a foundational part of the game.

While it's true that immanence is not as commonly used as conviction, it wouldn't be the first skill name with a relatively obscure meaning. (Theurgy comes to mind.)

As an aside, one of the nice things about DragonRealms is that it's one of the few video games from which I occasionally learn new words or concepts.

Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 07:34 AM CST
>Conviction is more of a state of mind, and it's neither unique to Paladins nor something that would be derived from ranks.

But, by the same token, neither is a berserk rage.

>While it's true that immanence is not as commonly used as conviction, it wouldn't be the first skill name with a relatively obscure meaning. (Theurgy comes to mind.)

To be honest, I'm already dreading people using 'creative' spellings of the word. People managed to misspell pigeon for 10 years. A lot of other DR skills are simple words or don't have cross-vowel spellings (imanence vs. emanace vs. emmanance vs. immanence vs. iminince, etc.).
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 09:38 AM CST

> When I first saw Conviction suggested, I liked it (it does make an interesting contrast with clerical devotion), but the more I think about it, Conviction seems like an odd name for a skill. Conviction is more of a state of mind, and it's neither unique to Paladins nor something that would be derived from ranks.

The same can be said about devotion. In fact, summoning, astrology, empathy, scouting, inner fire, etc... are all things that can be performed by some or most guilds; however, only one guild can claim to be the best at it. Only one guild can claim to take it to the supernatural level in a way that gives them full and utter control over that thing.

For example, almost all characters exercise devotion to a certain god when getting favors, but only clerics really integrate devotion into their daily lives in way that makes it a part of them. Even paladins can't make that claim since the paladin-god relationship feels very one-sided. Conversely, almost all characters have a set of guiding principals that they adhere to, but only paladins really integrate those principals into their state of being (soul) that lets them use it as fuel and power. Even clerics can't make that claim since their god really doesn't require them to adhere to a set of principals of the cleric's own choosing.

I think 2 really applies. Paladins have drunk the cool-aid of their order. They are the fanatic. They are the judge dredd. They believe they are right, but that core conviction is what gives them power. It's their rock, and it will not and cannot change. (That's an argument that picking an order should be a life-long decision, maybe before you're allowed to join the paladin's guild at all).

> Moreover, Conviction doesn't tie in as strongly to the underlying lore (as currently understood) for how Paladin supernatural abilities work: material manifestations of the sanctified soul,

I get this. I understand if that's a good reason to throw out conviction, but I also think it's an approach that further separates them from clerics, and I think that justifies a little retcon.

> While it's true that immanence is not as commonly used as conviction, it wouldn't be the first skill name with a relatively obscure meaning. (Theurgy comes to mind.)

Yeah, but I'd argue that Theurgy was the wrong word to use for clerics. You don't talk about theurgy rituals. You talk about devotion rituals or communions. You talk about devotion levels. https://elanthipedia.play.net/Devotion

Thuergy is really a one-shot.

> As an aside, one of the nice things about DragonRealms is that it's one of the few video games from which I occasionally learn new words or concepts.

Maybe we should rename scouting to wonderlust. I was being snarky, but that would be a kind of interesting change. Rangers could "wander" to train it in a "nature-ways" like method. They randomly travel and "teleport" somewhere else. They could try to aim in a direction, and skill could affect range and success.

Okay, okay. I digress. I like conviction, and I think it works; however, I think the name of the skill is far less important than what the skill actually does.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 10:46 AM CST
>>Yeah, but I'd argue that Theurgy was the wrong word to use for clerics. You don't talk about theurgy rituals. You talk about devotion rituals or communions. You talk about devotion levels. https://elanthipedia.play.net/Devotion

The Theurgy name came from three streams.

1) It describes what a Cleric does, even if the terminology is different.
2) The proposed name before Theurgy was Theosophy, which I argued was further off the mark than Theurgy.
3) Least important, but still a personal consideration, it amused me to invoke the Hermetic Sciences (Alchemy, Astrology, Theurgy) across multiple magic guilds.

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 11:33 AM CST

>Least important, but still a personal consideration, it amused me to invoke the Hermetic Sciences (Alchemy, Astrology, Theurgy) across multiple magic guilds.

Heh.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 11:54 AM CST

Immanence and Conviction are both great. I think the decision should be made based on whatever fits the lore and mechanics of the paladin guild best, rather than how commonly the word is found.

If Paladins are a heavily armored warrior class, that includes concepts such as the diehard vigilante (like Batman or the Punisher), then conviction would probably be best, as it is the more general term and would be less jarring for those who don't RP a religious or spiritual paladin. The powers of this sort of paladin would derive from her belief in her cause.

If the Paladins are going to be holy warriors, with the source of their powers coming from divinity, I think immanence is the better choice. This type of paladin would gain his powers from recognizing the divinity within himself and in all other things. The more his thoughts and actions are in harmony with the divine order, the more powerful he is.

To me, the holy warrior paladin fits better with the lore and is the more interesting direction. I think of paladins as more like Percival, Joan of Arc and Lancelot (with the latter being an example of one who falls and then repents to reclaim his power and glory), rather than Batman or Valjean (who might be Barbs or Thieves with a code in terms of DR).
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/13/2017 12:32 PM CST
I'm a fan of conviction because it sells the idea that all the soul stuff Paladins tend to struggle with are self-inflicted more than an extra-ordinary power that is creating the rules for them, which is kinda how I saw the soul working anyway.

I also like the idea of conviction because it can be pretty open ended. The Paladin has to be dedicated to something, but the what isn't necessarily set in stone. That way, you can have those Paladins who have a conviction about might making right or the ends justifying the means right alongside Paladins with convictions about peace being the ultimate goal or protecting the weak at all costs.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 07:44 AM CST
After some contemplation, want to toss two more ideas out there for your critique.

Integrity:
In the same line as Conviction. I think it captures the moral/mental portion of Paladin-ing in DR a little more than Conviction does, but it doesn't sound as snappy. This would refer to the Paladin's need and growing constancy in thought and action.

Theosis:
Okay, a weird word but the concept captures a lot of the supernatural portion of Paladin-ing in DR. The rough idea, pulled from theology, is the notion that a human can become holy in the same sense that God is holy. This would refer to the Paladin's growing strength and manifestation of the sanctified soul.

I sort of like Theosis, even if it is a weird word, for two additional reasons. It pairs well with Theurgy both in tone and in expressing two radically different ways of operating with divinity. Also, there's subtexts in Theosis of literal, supernatural "becoming God," which is a delicious and thematically appropriate source of potential hubris.

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 08:14 AM CST

If it were down to those two, I would choose integrity. Theosis sounds too close to Theurgy.

As an aside, I greatly look forward to the exhanges that will come out of this.

> A paladin arrives.

> Paladin says, "I tried to circle, but Verika says I need to work on my integrity. Would anyone mind teaching this?"

> Bard says, "Yeah, I thought I saw you at the party in the Bard's guild last night. I'm surprised she didn't demote you."

> [Much laughter ensues]
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 08:42 AM CST
Not down to those two, those are just two additional thoughts that tickled my fancy.

Edit: Though I'll admit if we're going for the guildskill as moral/psychologcial rather than supernatural themed, I'm kinda a fan of Arete too.

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 08:54 AM CST
>I'm kinda a fan of Arete too.

I think Arete is the closest fit to what it is actually (planned on) being used for, but I don't love that word.

Just my opinion!

~ L
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 08:58 AM CST
What's not to love? Arr ra tey!

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 09:19 AM CST
It makes me think of White Wolf’s Mage. Can I be a Matter Paladin?

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 09:21 AM CST
I never understood why Old Mage chose "Arete" as the name for magical enlightenment. New Mage's "Gnosis" is far closer to the mark for what they're going for.

But, hey, I love New Mage way the heck more than Old Mage.

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 09:21 AM CST
I could get behind Arete or Theosis. Not big on Integrity.

Samsaren
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 09:24 AM CST
>But, hey, I love New Mage way the heck more than Old Mage.

Incorrect use of words aside, I loved Old Mage a lot more than New Mage. The only thing I liked about New Mage is they made it easy to create cross over games with the rest of the WoD stuff. I loved the fill in dots and you’re ready to play. Picking Rotes made character creation at least ten times as long.

As for Paladins, I prefer Conviction personally. I think it makes sense, and will be easy for new players to understand its link to the Paladin Guild without looking up an esoteric word.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 10:10 AM CST

>DR-ARMIFER: Theosis...

I think this might be a good underline to how differently people view the lore and their characters. From talking to a bunch of Paladins, I think there's a pretty wide range of interpretations as to what Paladins in DR land are all about.

I don't know if this is intentional, but it may be something to consider when spit balling.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 11:34 AM CST
Go with Conviction if you want to drive a bigger separation between Paladins and Clerics.
Go with Theosis if you want to keep a stronger connection to the immortals.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Ranger, so what do I know? :D
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 11:48 AM CST
I like Theosis. What's the point of playing a text game if you don't get to type/experience weird and obscure words?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 11:57 AM CST
>Arete

When I google it the first definition was 'a ridge'. Not really an explosively helpful word, in this case.

>Conviction

I like

>Theosis

I dislike. It's far too close to theurgy, and the definition of the word crashes too closely to the necromancer guild for my tastes.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 12:04 PM CST
>>When I google it the first definition was 'a ridge'. Not really an explosively helpful word, in this case.

If it really comes down to it, I don't mind Paladin players getting a brief lesson on moral philosophy.

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 12:14 PM CST
Thinking about it more.

I could do Conviction, but to tie it into the actual mechanics (Soul, Glyphs, magic, possibly active armor skills), I'd need to be a little squirrely with it.

Basically we'd define Conviction as your ability to be in tune with your sanctified soul and its demands. If your soul is less then prisitine, you have manifestly not been Conviction-ing very hard. To that end, Conviction suffers an effective penalty based on your soul state.

I'd put a minimum floor on how bad it can get, both to make Dark/fallen Paladins possible and to not screw over noobler Paladins.

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 02:18 PM CST
This is a new skill we will have to learn? So once we name it we have to come up with ways to learn it? Not trying to jump ahead, just trying to understand the concept of what we are doing. Thanks

- Felicini
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 02:21 PM CST
>>This is a new skill we will have to learn? So once we name it we have to come up with ways to learn it? Not trying to jump ahead, just trying to understand the concept of what we are doing. Thanks

Conviction (let's go with that for now) would be your guild skill.

1) It'll be used to fuel guild-specific abilities that are currently skilless (lead, glyphs, etc)
2) It'll be teachable between Paladins and learned by using said abilities.
3) It'll be grandfathered to something appropriate for your circle.
4) You'll then have it added to your circle reqs (the reason it'd be grandfathered).

-Armifer
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 02:40 PM CST
How about invictus?

It's got the 'old school' latin flair, and the poem seems somewhat relevant to the Paladin code. But I freely admit it's been years since I read it so I might be wrong.
Re: Guild Skill Name & Theme 12/15/2017 05:45 PM CST
>Conviction (let's go with that for now) would be your guild skill.

>1) It'll be used to fuel guild-specific abilities that are currently skilless (lead, glyphs, etc)
>2) It'll be teachable between Paladins and learned by using said abilities.
>3) It'll be grandfathered to something appropriate for your circle.
>4) You'll then have it added to your circle reqs (the reason it'd be grandfathered).

Will it be teachable in combat?

- Felicini
Prev_page Previous 1