Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6
Soul 07/09/2002 03:29 PM CDT
No matter how high i get my soul over pristine i still eventually fall down to pure white. I know soul is supposed to fall when not at extreme levels of low or high but i couldn't get it much higher then i did and its still falling.
Ederick
Charisma and the New Soul System 07/17/2002 06:33 PM CDT
I was just wondering if anyone has done any extensive testing regarding the importance of charisma in the new soul system, especially regarding our "power pool." I have some extra tdp's to spend and was pondering the effectiveness of going from 22 to 24 charisma.

Thanks!

Sir Khadgarian
Re: Charisma and the New Soul System 07/17/2002 08:56 PM CDT
If its like it was before more charisma seemed to make the glyphs cost less soul to use. For example tracing GOL and staying above pristine.

Tyden
Re: Charisma and the New Soul System 07/18/2002 10:12 AM CDT
<<If its like it was before more charisma seemed to make the glyphs cost less soul to use. For example tracing GOL and staying above pristine.>>

More charisma=bigger soul pool.
Re: Charisma and the New Soul System 07/18/2002 10:14 AM CDT
It's times like this I wish I trained parry so I could hit 40 charisma :P
Soul? 07/22/2002 06:31 PM CDT
What in the world ties us to our soul? Why is it that our soul state determines anything at all? Do we have soul because we can dance good, or sing well, or are smooth with the ladies? Is there anyone on this board at all that knows anything besides mechanics?

Anyone know how to ask the question of WHY? Hell at this point I'd even settle for why ask why.
Re: Soul? 07/22/2002 07:00 PM CDT
I have always felt that our soul is our direct link to the gods and an extention of the gods power blessed upon the followers of our guild. If the link and/or extention is broke ....then the paladin is no more.

Gad
Re: Soul? 07/22/2002 08:50 PM CDT
Currently this is all speculation no matter the theory any one churns out unless they are a GM, but the way I envision soul working is that the soul is a latent thing inside every person in Elanthia, but only paladins have been able to bond with it. By increasing in charisma and doing whatever else increases the size of the soul pool, the paladin more deeply increases his bond with the soul. The soul state is how much the soul has bonded with the paladin. So when you tank your soul, that is the soul deciding it doesn't really like you that much.

The soul pool is a reflection of both the soul's willingness to continue doing things for you and its own remaining fatigue. Glyphing and leading tires it out until it decides you aren't worth any further effort it would have to expend.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it until I hear otherwise.

Player of Linras Cauldrath
Re: Soul? 07/22/2002 08:56 PM CDT
I'm more insane in my idea of soul.

I beleive it's the spirits of former Paladins returning from the Starry Road to lend their powers to us. That's why we can't not feel bad when we do something wrong.. because it's not us weakening, but it's the spirits of these former Paladins not being as willing to stay connected to you.

As more of an IC viewpoint, Pureblade believes the Gorbesh Warriors who live in Orisas' sphere aid him in doing his tasks and the strength of the link is dependent upon his how honoral Orisas feels he's been.
Re: Soul? 07/23/2002 12:37 AM CDT
>I beleive it's the spirits of former Paladins returning from the Starry Road to lend their powers to us. That's why we can't not feel bad when we do something wrong.. because it's not us weakening, but it's the spirits of these former Paladins not being as willing to stay connected to you.<

Excellent theory.
Re: Soul? 07/23/2002 12:55 AM CDT
Humm believes the strength of his soul is a result of his willingness to do the bidding of Demrris, Tenemlor, Eu, and to a lesser degree the other Gods in Elanthia. Since his willingness is strong, the Gods he patronizes have cause to assist Humm in these endeavours. They have faith that their entrusted abilities will not be misused or abused.

Should Humm decide to act against the wishes of his Gods, then their ability and willingness to help him will reduce, and their help will be less effective and less often. For the Gods to assist him, they need his heart and mind focused upon what they feel is proper. It is his actions that tell them if and when he is able and worthy.

Michael, aka Humm Breaux
Re: Soul? 07/23/2002 01:18 AM CDT
>Should Humm decide to act against the wishes of his Gods, then their ability and willingness to help him will reduce, and their help will be less effective and less often. For the Gods to assist him, they need his heart and mind focused upon what they feel is proper. It is his actions that tell them if and when he is able and worthy.<

This is what I believe as well. But I guess no matter what the theory is, there is nothing that ties our soul state to anything in particular save for what is deemed an injustice in the civililized (or lack thereof) mortal world...i.e. killing, theft, etc.

We already know we can't put our soulstate or anything for that matter into the hands of the people because it then becomes more of a popularity contest than a true definition of a persons deeds. I think it's important that a Paladin be measured and tied to that which gives him or her their abilities, but I do not know how to do that without separating the Paladin into paths.
Soul sense/spell consolidation 09/08/2002 11:15 PM CDT
How about retiring the clarity spell and in its place add a boost the power of our sense based on the soul-pool.

thoughts?
Soul and regain how hard is it? 09/09/2002 10:05 PM CDT
Ok a young paladin came to shard seeking the white orb. He found it but the orb rejected him. Confused and a bit frustrated he found his way to the Adanf safe spot and asked for help. After checking his soulstate which was steady white we headed off to the tower to do the ritual, after completion it bumped up to pure white. Well still wasnt enough so off to tithe, 5 silver later still not quite there. Back to adanf safe spot for a tend. One tend and pristine. This took all of 20 minutes. Doesnt seem all that hard to me.

Tyden

I know it take a bit longer the higher ya get but its very doable if you just set out to do it.
Re: Soul and regain how hard is it? 09/09/2002 10:11 PM CDT
To my knowledge, you gotta be high-end pristine for it to not go back to neutral.

Ahm thinkin people hit pristine and then stop instead of crankin the soul a bit more.

Also, soulstate is easier to acquire for younger paladins, due to their smaller soul pool, the wayah understand it.
Re: Soul and regain how hard is it? 09/09/2002 10:31 PM CDT
Where can ya tithe in Shard? Or did ya go to Crossing?
Re: Soul and regain how hard is it? 09/09/2002 10:43 PM CDT
when Rod addjusted the levels making chalky nuetral and all the whites positive he also ended drift once you hit pristine.

Tyden
Re: Soul and regain how hard is it? 09/09/2002 11:28 PM CDT
>when Rod addjusted the levels making chalky nuetral and all the whites positive he also ended drift once you hit pristine.

I believe Glemm is right, it's higher end pristine that the drift goes away. You can still drift at lower end pristine.

That's how I understood it at least, might want to get GM clarification though.
Re: Soul and regain how hard is it? 09/10/2002 12:05 AM CDT
-The other thing involved here is that, as I posted in Announcements, when soulstones were upgraded, I shifted the soul messages to give more useful information. Specifically, all three "white" messages are now "good" soul states, and "chalky" is now neutral. Previously, "steady white" was neutral, and chalky was slightly bad. (This should be helpful because it allowed me to move the lower end of the pristine range up to the point where soul doesn't drift.)

post 140 in this subject

Tyden
Soul Juice Message 09/13/2002 10:24 PM CDT
You trace the Glyph of Light around you. An empty feeling pervades your soul, but nothing else happens.

Is this a message that my power pool is empty? Or is it something else?

Litharius
Re: Soul Juice Message 09/14/2002 01:15 AM CDT
your soul isn't at the high end of pristine
Re: Soul Juice Message 09/14/2002 12:23 PM CDT
Exhale on your soulstone to see the current level of your soul power.

Tyden
Re: Soul Juice Message 09/14/2002 08:50 PM CDT
>your soul isn't at the high end of pristine

I believe it was, I had traced the glyph not a half hour before hand.

>Exhale on your soulstone to see the current level of your soul power.

Ah, neat, thank you. Anyone got a list of power level messages?
Re: Soul Juice Message 09/14/2002 08:58 PM CDT
1. It brightens with an inner light

2. It pulses rapidly

3. Pulses steadly

4. Pulses slowly

5. Pulses briefly

Tyden
Maece- Soul Pool. 09/29/2002 02:00 PM CDT
You breathe softly on the soulstone...

It pulses rapidly with an inner light!

Ok, I used my abilities like a week ago. Drained my soul pool pretty low {couldn't use lead so thats when I stopped usin abilities} using lead/GoM and GoL. (well, over and over).

Since then, my character has been ingame for MANY hours of the day, Every Day. I have NOT used an ability since. I have not levelled him since, and yet my soul pool hasn't moved at all.

My disc is 29, Charis is 12, Level is 47. I understand charisma may be a factor in the level OF refilling the soulpool -but tot he point of where it barely moves? Days now. Just around a week even. Actually, A week come monday. Some help with this, Maece?

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 09/29/2002 02:42 PM CDT
Get more charisma.

Clyn
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 09/29/2002 03:55 PM CDT
> Get more charisma.

Yep. Franky, my own experiences with the new power pool is that it allows me to do infinitely more than before, and recover significently faster. I can dip deeply in the power pool and be right back up and ready to go again the next day.

Charisma - don't leave the guildhall without it.

Discipline 30 Charisma 30
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 09/29/2002 03:55 PM CDT
> Get more charisma.

Yep. Franky, my own experiences with the new power pool is that it allows me to do infinitely more than before, and recover significently faster. I can dip deeply in the power pool and be right back up and ready to go again the next day.

Charisma - don't leave the guildhall without it.

Discipline 30 Charisma 30
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 09/30/2002 10:36 AM CDT
Have you done anything bad recently?

~M
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 09/30/2002 11:51 PM CDT
Now here is a real oddity. No, I haven't doen anything bad. I haven't done anything to take a soulhit.

The wierd thing is, I played a defense-strategy in a Tournament, didnt' take a soul hit - DID use Glyph of Light. I was slwoly pulsing or something like that. That was last night. Now all of a sudden..

>rub soulst
You rub the soulstone...

It gleams brightly with a pristine luminescence!

>exhal soulst

It brightens with an inner light, which lingers for a few moments before returning to its normal state.

Now my question - Was/is my soul-pool Bugged, or my soulstone? Its odd, after DAYS of doing nothing at all to impreove/hurt my soulstate or soul-pool, and its stuck at quickly pulsating or rapdily or something. I use an ability, and within 24 hours, my pool goes up to tip top (unless I am wrong, but I am pretty sure this is tip top full)

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/03/2002 08:53 AM CDT
Is this in Prime or TF?
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/03/2002 08:13 PM CDT
Took a peek over at you and I was unable to find anything weird going on.

~M
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/05/2002 02:43 AM CDT
Actually it is odd. Unless the Power Pool fluxuates for no reason, I think that Halt may be powered off of it?

About 2 nights ago (After posting it was in top condition) I halted a Paladin. I then checked my soul state and soul pool, and it was NOT at top condition. It was Rapidly pulsating. The only thing I had done between the two checks was cast Divine Armor (Multiple times) and Halt (Once).

Maybe a little info on this one Maece? And yes - my Paladin is in TF.

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/05/2002 07:49 AM CDT
~ Teh Solo Hunta,

well i cast all types of magic all the time and i check my power pool and my soul alot. And not once have I noticed my power pool go down.

Here's pertinent info.

Disc 40, Charisma 31. 299 PM.

Clyn
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/09/2002 01:23 PM CDT
Personally all these little things like guarding a stunned person in battle and giving someone ferry money shouldn't get a soul boost through a standard game mechanic. I think the abuse potential is immense. I used to be disgusted as a player of a role playing game when a paladin would do any number of disgusting acts and then log in a pet empath that was leaking blood from every bodily location. They'd fully recover in no time at all and go back to setting the wrong example again.

I propose that all GM's that monitor player interaction have the ability to give paladins a soul RPA. Sure every good deed you do won't get noticed. But the soul RPA would be a large soul boost that could be reserved for times of dire need. This could fall inline with the soul mysanda idea I've heard tossed about on the boards.

A GM witnesses a paladin doing the right thing yadda yadda but doesn't really feel that a RPA is merited so he or she gives a soul RPA. I think this idea has lots of room for expansion as well. The ability to transfer a SRPA. Perhaps a SRPA could be used by a paladin with an already full soul pool for a permanent but extremely small permanent boost to soul recovery speed or soul pool size. Perhaps a paladin player could have the ability to transfer current stored RPA's into SRPA's. Okay.. I'm done for now.

Mordril
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/09/2002 04:50 PM CDT
>>I propose that all GM's that monitor player interaction have the ability to give paladins a soul RPA.

RPAs themselves give soul.
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/09/2002 11:09 PM CDT
See Mordril, thats where Game Mechanics are screwy. While there is room for abuse, there is room for gettin a soul hit when you shouldn't. I personally can't imagine my character feeling ANY Remorse for murdering a person in self defense.

If you think of soul as a resemblance of ones Honor, as I do, then you would think that a Paladin who RPd a Paladin who was raised in a very harsh world, then murdering somebody who stole from you, or attacked you, would Not make you feel bad. You would feel as if you had honored yourself, and protected those around you.

If you think of Soul as something more like Guilt, same scenario. Maybe you think that murder is a dishonorable deed, but would you feel guilty for saving your life and the lives of others, by murdering a crazed maniac?

Just because you kill something that is an NPC doesn't mean it should be honorable - same for killin a PC shouldn't always be a soul hit..

There are SO many more flaws, but we take the system as it is and we go with it. Thats why there should always be ways for a person to get soul back without too much problem. They RP their character differently then the "System" was written, they shouldn't have their RP hindered.

~ Teh Solo Hunta... Much more than game mechanics.
Re: Maece- Soul Pool. 10/10/2002 11:35 AM CDT
I'm sorry, but if abusability was made a major concern, we would never get anything. Halt is abusable. Smite Foe is abusable. Bond Weapon is abusable.

I find it very ironic that thieves and rangers have been given the most potentially abusable ability in the entire game (sniping), yet we are concerned about the players who prefer to play beacons of light making poor use of their abilities.

If soul gain was purely from RPAs, either a huge amount of GM resources would have to be plowed into just monitering paladins to see that they earned it, or no paladin would ever be able to use their abilities because the soul drift would work far faster than we could possibly get soul unless we were amazingly lucky.

I've played this game since far before the web move and only break character on very rare occasions (yes, even when playing in TF) yet I have not recieved a single RPA with Benzali that was not part of an event or a bug report. Then I play a moon mage for a couple days that had no history or personality and get 3, two of which while I was breaking character. There are just not enough GMs to reasonably moniter for these things and give them out consistently enough for a workable system.

I'm a bit optimistic, I know, but I think it would be much easier to notice the people consistently abusing the mechanics and slap a warning on them for it than to have to catch every single instance of a good deed any paladin does.

Player of Linras Cauldrath
Soul pool problem 11/16/2002 11:01 AM CST
I have been recently having trouble getting my pool full. I have done nothing that would diminish my soul state at all, and regularly maintain it with occasional tends, and praying to my badge almost as much as clerics do...and yet:

It pulses rapidly with an inner light!

You rub the soulstone...

It gleams brightly with a pristine luminescence!

I cant get my soul Pool above this sate, any ideas?

Konnor
Re: Soul pool problem 11/16/2002 02:37 PM CST
Pristine's as good as it gets right? And doesn't the power pool replenish over time?

Steel.
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5 6