Prev_page Previous 1
That dang timer again 04/08/2002 04:33 PM CDT
Hey folks.

I just grabbed someone's hand and crushed it while that person was tryin to steal from me. Right after that I went to the Guard House but was too late. I mean this was maybe 15 to 20 seconds. What gives? Are we not supposed to do anything right after we see them? I just scowled at them and then went to accuse.

Nosaj
Re: That dang timer again 04/08/2002 04:40 PM CDT
Technically, you aren't supposed to HoJ and accuse. You have four choices for resolution of stealing: HoJ, accuse, attacking, or ignore.

Player of Benzali Palazin
Re: That dang timer again 04/08/2002 07:33 PM CDT
>Technically, you aren't supposed to HoJ and accuse. You have four choices for resolution of stealing: HoJ, accuse, attacking, or ignore.

Is it set up so that if you crush their hand you automatically can't accuse them too? That would explain why he couldn't accuse even though it was only like 20 seconds later. There's no way it's because he waited too long.

Apu
Re: That dang timer again 04/08/2002 08:30 PM CDT
Hmm, I never knew that. Thanks for the response.

Nos
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 12:35 AM CDT
Yeah I said my thoughts on how Accuse should be fixed awhile back, but that topic kinda dropped....

I would still like to be able to accuse them when you see them stealing from someone else or when you catch them with either HoJ or Clarity or both...

Would also be nice if an arrested thief was forced to pay a fine of 1 plat to be given to the victim. Wow... I like that idea.... kinda a reimbursement....

Calemnon
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 01:40 AM CDT
Instead of accusing, which fines them a few gold, ruins their bonus, and just annoys the heck out of them.. with HoJ you..

..tickled their palm, forcing them to use some of the yelith root and hisan salve they stole. By the way, they STILL stole yer money!

We need HoJ fixed :p
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 02:27 AM CDT
<<Instead of accusing, which fines them a few gold, ruins their bonus, and just annoys the heck out of them.. with HoJ you..>

<..tickled their palm, forcing them to use some of the yelith root and hisan salve they stole. By the way, they STILL stole yer money!>

<We need HoJ fixed :p>

This is probably a crazy suggestion, however, what if you could tend their hand for the coin, like you would for a lodged arrow. For instance, when someone gets an arrow stuck in them, and you tend it well, you wind up with the arrow. So, if the coins are lodged in their crushed hand, by that logic, if you tend it, you could get the coins back. Of course if you rip the entire hand off, then the coins go as well.

This is probably nuts, if so sorry.
Sezzes
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 03:10 AM CDT
Can't tend internals.

Calemnon
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 08:01 AM CDT
What about option 5 if your big enough - THUMP em!

Or would that just open a can of problems?

~Tankgirl~

(Hope everyone read the thump changes)
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 11:34 AM CDT
they should not get the coin when you HoJ them
there is no point to the spell if they still get the money
and if you crush ones hand then the coins should fall down or you shold be able to get them from he's hand
Re: That dang timer again 04/09/2002 11:52 AM CDT
Yep, the HoJ spell is very limited in its current form. It should trigger when the hand goes in the pocket, however, and not when the hand comes out, ending the conflict.

-Slaris
Re: That dang timer again 04/10/2002 12:26 AM CDT
Raph explained this one well.

Why we cant accuse a thief when we see them stealing from others or when others catch a thief.

Cause if the one they are stealing from doesnt care or doesnt want to report it, then it's not a crime. That's the rough version of how he put it. They choose not to press charges, you cant press them for that person.
Re: That dang timer again 04/10/2002 12:32 AM CDT
What if they don't see the person stealing from them but still want to accuse them? They can't...
Re: That dang timer again 04/10/2002 03:06 PM CDT
Not a paladins job seriously. We are not town guards. Some adapt our mission of protecting people to mean from petty theft. Which isnt necessarily accurate, our skills and abilities point to a protecting people from attack, loss of items from death or theft, and leading forces against aggressors. Our sixth sense is more of a warning to tell you to close up or get out of the area, since we are unable to steal this becomes our passive warning system. I dont see in too many places where our guild abilities have us stopping theft, we get a soul bonus because it's doing good, like tending, not because we are supposed to be a guard or cop.

Shiv
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 01:01 AM CDT
EVERYONE should be able to accuse when they see someone steal from someone else. Not just paladins.
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 01:26 PM CDT
Why? Do you know if that person cares or not that they are being stolen from? First you need to inform that person they are being stolen from. Second, you need to find out if they do indeed care that they are being stolen from. Then could you actually attempt to accuse them. But really think about this, there is an element of fantasy in the legal system today.

Think of this from your character's perspective:
Shivus sees a s'kra mur about 5' 10" maybe 210 lbs, camo colored with a hooded face stealing from Bistro (who's blind as a bat from old age). Shivus shouts out "Bistro, you are being robbed!" Bistro turns to his pockets and looks down in shock to see a clawed hand removing his prized pink fluffy bunny from his pouch and shouts "thief! thief!" Skra with bunny in hand streaks off into the crowd knowing the alleys and short cuts well and eventually loses Bistro and Shivus who chase after him. Bistro and Shivus run to the guard house and file a report.

From a coding perspetive you only recognize people by their names, so even though Shivus has never met this example S'kra he magically knows that the name of the thief is Bobo or Jojo. Right now the system is not set up for such an accurate form of accusal. So unless you want to try and file a report not based on a name the system tells you the thief is but on how they look. I would suggest giving it a rest on how one cant accuse when seeing someone steal from someone else. Think of it as though you are in downtown New York City during lunch break or rush hour. Are you going to know who's got their hand in your pocket?

Shivus
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 03:11 PM CDT
It's still a crime, even if they don't care that they're being robbed. The current system punishes people who don't want to get robbed because there are a few people who don't care... and that's just wrong. Anyone should be able to accuse anyone when they see them committing a crime. Be this stealing, murder, or violence on the streets... any witness should be able to accuse. A crime is a crime is a crime, regardless of who sees it.

Calemnon
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 03:15 PM CDT
And there ya have it! no wonder I've been cranky. =)
And I'm still waiting on those damn guards to get the culprit, my poor pink fluffy bunny. <g>

Sss'Kra Mur Bissstro - DragonKNIGHT
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 06:08 PM CDT
You're wrong Calemnon. A crime is only a crime when the person it's committed upon presses charges. If the person the thief is stealing from doesnt care to press charges or infact gave permission to the thief to test how good they are then there is no crime. I can understand where you are coming from, been there long long time ago myself. And as I said, how are you going to accuse someone by name when IC wise you'd have no clue who they are. It's not like Calemnon is seeing a "Hi, I'm Bob" sticker on everyone's jacket. Realistically from an IC point of view, not even the person being stolen from should be able to name the person, unless they recognize them from posters or reputation. Just remember that for all the things that the legal system doesnt do, there are many things the system does do, balancing it out. If you want to change its shortcomings, you have to change its advantages as well.

Shiv
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 06:41 PM CDT
>A crime is only a crime when the person it's committed upon presses charges

This certainly is NOT true in RL. A crime is committed against the people of a state or the people of the United States. The people of a state or the United States are the ones who are listed as the plaintiffs in a criminal case, NOT the victim.

Charges are "pressed" by the state or the united states (in the form of District Attorneys or United State's Attorneys). Charges may be pursued regardless of whether a victim wants to press charges or not.

>If the person the thief is stealing from doesnt care to press charges or infact gave permission to the thief to test how good they are then there is no crime.

Again, this is not really true in RL. While it is not really theft if the person allows you to take something (they are giving it to you), this is not the case with other crimes. In other words, you cannot kill somone, even if they give you permission to do it (except some of the new assisted suicide laws).

Now, we play in Elanthia, so the rules here certainly do not have to follow RL, but I have never read anything in DR that indicates that a victim must press charges before a crime exists, in fact the notice outside the Crossing Bank would seem to argue for just the opposite position.

So, if the powers that be in Elanthia wish to make it a crime if anyone witnesses someone stealing from another, whether the victim gave permission or not, they can certainly do so - that's what being a sovereign is all about. <g>

Gloryarm
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 10:32 PM CDT
<<not because we are supposed to be a guard or cop.>>

Why do we have "guard" and "deputy" as titles again?
Re: That dang timer again 04/11/2002 11:01 PM CDT
If the person doesn't mind being stolen from, he should go to the guard and clear the charges on the thief, but we should still be able to accuse if we see it.

Oh... and not until the American justice system did people get the idea(falsely) that charges must be pressed by the victim for their to be a crime. In every other legal system of the era which DR is based around, it was a crime whether or not the victim "pressed charges".

Calemnon the paladin
Re: That dang timer again 04/12/2002 02:30 PM CDT
Because there were enough confused paladins who whined to get them?

"Guard" could mean someone who is a protector to someone, like a body guard.

Deputy

\Dep"u*ty\, n.; pl. Deputies. [F. d['e]put['e], fr. LL. deputatus. See Depute.] 1. One appointed as the substitute of another, and empowered to act for him, in his name or his behalf; a substitute in office; a lieutenant; a representative; a delegate; a vicegerent; as, the deputy of a prince, of a sheriff, of a township, etc.

God's substitute, His deputy anointed in His sight. --Shak.

In keeping with the paladin history, it would be accurate to associate a paladin as a deputy of the God's, or as a lieutenant. This when taken in context of other titles such as Divine Soldier, Divine Knight, Holy Warrior, and Champion. What you have here is a religious or holy guardian to the people in terms of physical defense from attackers. It very well may end up that the terms Guard and Deputy are taken to mean "cop" by those who confuse the guild's purpose to mean legal and not life protecting. The titles should be taken in context to other titles out there, when that's done it seems more so to be incorrect in stating guard and deputy mean cop or town guard.

Shiv
Re: That dang timer again 04/12/2002 02:35 PM CDT
Calem, we're at an impasse here. I do not agree with you on this issue, I would also comment that if the person clears the thief of charges then the person who made the charges in the first place should be charged with false accusations. Because you are acting on incomplete knowledge of the happenings and therefore wasting the legal system's time and money along with falsely accusing the supposed thief.

Putting this aside. Do you at least recognize that for all the arguments we make about stealing and thieves they could come back just as easily and claim the system should not expose their names and all you can do is give a vague physical description of the thief instead? Think of it in terms of a system balance, you can do all the things you should be able to do, but you do some things that you shouldnt be able to as well. It's all in the balance.

Shiv
Re: That dang timer again 04/12/2002 07:14 PM CDT
Well the way I see it, it's so blasted hard to actually catch those thieves that if you ever see them, you should be able to accuse them...

Yes, there are certain advantages and disadvantages to the current system... however... it is still unbalanced towards the thief in my opinion. The victim should at least get his money back when the thief is caught...

Calemnon the man with no money
Re: That dang timer again 04/24/2002 03:43 AM CDT
actually, the system as it currently stands is much heavierly weighted to the protection of the "victim" than the "thief".

When people can run across the entire crossing in the time it takes to try to pick a pocket--the "stealee" is at more advantage than the potential pickpocket.

There are 2 words which virtually killed pickpocketing.

They are..... "approach time".

So unless a Paladin is Actively looking to be stolen from--it just is not happening.

-the ex-pickpocket who steals stuff that sells for plats and pawns it for coppers-

crime doesn't pay. trading pays.

schvartz
Re: That dang timer again 04/25/2002 09:09 PM CDT
Except that the approach timer is completely gone at 20th circle with a certain ability.

Litharius
Re: That dang timer again 04/25/2002 11:02 PM CDT
>Except that the approach timer is completely gone at 20th circle with a certain ability.

Not if they take at least 2 bonus hits, then they get approach time no matter how much stealing they have.

Apu
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 05:42 AM CDT
>>Not if they take at least 2 bonus hits, then they get approach time no matter how much stealing they have.

All the more reason to accuse instead of using HoJ.

<laugh evil>
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 10:39 AM CDT
We should be able to do both... grr...
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 06:35 PM CDT
Why? You dont HAVE to HoJ. If you kill someone, should you be arrested, take the soul hit, AND be killed yourself?
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 08:05 PM CDT
>>Why? You dont HAVE to HoJ. If you kill someone, should you be arrested, take the soul hit, AND be killed yourself?

We have a choice.

Don't have HoJ up, and miss them steal completely, or have it up and never accuse as a result.

We need a set !aggression or something, so we can choose NOT to crush hands.
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 09:08 PM CDT
Or, can have it up, and be stolen from thru it anyway.
At least by pros, who can see your hand twitch. And moon magi can sense it on you as well, if they can perceive you.

Adongonif <The paladin that never carries coins anyways, at least not when in crossing>.

I usually have top-end pristine soul,and I've trained up charisma as much as my other stats for the most part--pretty evenly-- but I only sense when the younger folks try, or look at me squinty-eyed. <I won't call it by the name of the ability--because when playing a Paladin--I have no IC reason to know of that ability>. Not those either my circle or higher. Unless their bonus is REALLY,REALLY bad.
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 09:11 PM CDT
actually with clarity up you do know about that ability, if your able to sense it. You sense so and so MARKING you. Ohh we know all to well ;)

Tyden
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 09:21 PM CDT

<<actually with clarity up you do know about that ability, if your able to sense it. You sense so and so MARKING you. Ohh we know all to well ;)
>>
Tyden

Which is Messaging I have consistently argued against us having. I'm not against paladins having the ability to sense it. Just call it something different in the messaging that we see.

<Otherwise you get such things as the Paladin meeting in which my Paladin was able to "mark Raphael." Raphael sees you sizing you up and pokes you in the eye, stunning you... Strange. I never learned how to "mark" someone as a paladin. My last chat with the Dark Tog was as a Novice Paladin, and he never taught me any skills, just threw me outta his guild and gave me a splittin' headache via a bump on da noggin' so I wouldn't remember where it was...>

-Adon- "clank"
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 10:52 PM CDT
Fact remains is that paladins are STILL the easiest targets for thieves.... SOMETHING should be done about this...
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 10:57 PM CDT
They're the easiest targets for thieves because paladins NEVER have stealing ranks. And there is a reason for that. There are a million and one ways to deter thieves from stealing from you, and i wont say any of them. The only thing right now that would allow Paladins more defense vs stealing (without completely overpowering paladins) would be to give them stealing ranks...and you can have stealing ranks! Just cant do anything paladin-ish with 'em...or something like that...
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 11:02 PM CDT
It's unfair to hinder a guild like that without giving them something that makes up for the lack of stealing ranks.
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 11:05 PM CDT
There is a very easy way to avoid being stolen from.

Its called

"put your money in the BANK".

<waits for the dagger in the back for informing you of this>
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 11:07 PM CDT
I still say since we can't have stealing ranks, our perception ranks should count as double. In place of stealing.

-hansley->>
Prev_page Previous 1