Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: That dang timer again 04/26/2002 11:21 PM CDT
Anyone, paladin or not, that gets stolen from as frequently as your complaints on thieves would lead one to believe, spends altogether too much time in Zoluren Province.
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 12:46 AM CDT
Is it just me or anyone else find the fact that Paladins are the 'Guards' and at the same time the popular target for thieves funny?
I kinda thought we Paladins were supposed to have good eyes for those things and as it stands now there are only a couple things you can do.

- Get stolen with HoJ up, crush their hand and loose the coins.
- Get stolen with HoJ up, not find the thief, loose your coins.
- Get stolen without HoJ up, grabbing their hand, rush to accuse and ask for your coins back.
- Get stolen without HoJ up, not grabbing their hand, and loosing your coins.
- Grabbing their hand without getting stole

Honestly I don't like any of that, and I didnt include the variations where you attack or not attack.
Depositing coins is a good thing against thieves but if that's all we can do about them then maybe we should consider getting new titles instead of Guard, Deputy , Marshal and all that cause honestly they're sort of ironic as it stands right now.

Paladin Phanton
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 10:57 AM CDT
A tert survival guild should not get full protection from stealing just because they suck at learning perception. If you simply use common sense, you're not even going to get stolen from, much less lose any coins. I can't remember the last time I actually lost any more than a couple coppers from theft by any character of mine. shrug Just because you have some preconcieved notion that Paladins are supposed to stop theft doesn't mean you should be invulnerable to it.

Or do I take this Paladins wanting more stealing protection to mean that us Thieves will soon be appropriating the ability to go unhindered in Heavy Plate in return? hums

Toren Sunreign-Jade-Stone, S'kra Gopher
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 12:03 PM CDT

Don't be silly. Nobody said Paladins would be un-stealable. All I said was that it's a contradiction having a Guard title and beeing the main target for stealing, since the stealing skill is forbiden to us and it plays a big role on stealing checks. If it would only take perception maybe we wouldnt be a very popular target since we have our ways to boost that. Even beein a tert skill is surely trainnable and Paladins do train it.
Now the concept of having a thief unhindered in HP is also silly.
Wanting a Paladin (which are considered defenders, guards and such in game meaning) to have some sort of bonus against thieves is fairly reasonable when you try to put a thief in a bunch of noise making pieces of metal and wanting him/her/it to be unhindered. Wake up.

Paladin Phanton
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 02:12 PM CDT
heck, i'd be willing to make that trade-off.

never steal from paladins <with of course, the exception of Sir Robyn> in return for having the same kinda low hindrance in HP that a paladin has?

just call me da tank thief.

Clank!

Schvartz
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 03:00 PM CDT
<<Or do I take this Paladins wanting more stealing protection to mean that us Thieves will soon be appropriating the ability to go unhindered in Heavy Plate in return? hums>>

Brilliant suggestion. However, the two abilities are not really on the same level. All guilds, sans Paladins, have the ability to train stealing in order to detour theft, this is not a guild ability. The lower hinderance on all armors is a guild ability for Paladins. It was not decided that "hey since Paladins can train their hinderance lower they should be more vulnerable to theft", or "because Paladins are more vulnerable to theft they should be able to train their hinderance lower".

As far as beign stolen from goes. I was stolen from the other day in Adanf, by some little punk who I can see hiding, and moving around "stealthily" (190 in perception). Yet even though they are this easy to find, oddly they still can steal from me (with clarity up). So please Adon, don't be telling me how easy it is to not be stolen from. When someone probably less than half my circle (and I am sure no where near in stealing ranks as I have in perception) has that ability, I begin to think perhaps theres a bit of a problem.

--Just a Squire
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 07:45 PM CDT
I guess its just a matter of choice in critters you fight with your individual character.

As a Paladin I tend to fight natural critters, due to them teaching the armor skills I need better at this point. Went from rams to bloodwolves to crocs to la'tami to <currently> unyns. And when I learn there up to the point I'd like, I'll be back to fighting Leucros. Therefore while I'm in combat I'm not usually carrying coin. So I only have to worry about getting from point A <the peltry/furrier shop> to point B <the Bank>.

I know that isn't the critter-progression for everyone. My thief went the "boxdropping and backstabbable and/or poisonous critters" route, my cleric does the "undead" route, along with some of the natural critters; while my barbarian does a mixture of both.

But it does help explain why my paladin is rarely if ever stolen from. Or if he is, and just doesn't see it, he has empty pockets anyway. ;-)
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 08:18 PM CDT
>Phanton's post<

I was being sarcastic. "Wake up." chortle Besides, Paladins aren't the primary targets for thieves. They're not super rich, and they have the ability to sense when they're being stolen from. It's not like stealing skill would help you stop me steal from you anyway. You'd just see me like you do with Clarity/whatever.

>Lennon's post<

Hmm. Maybe then, Thieves should get the special bonuses in Stealing as a guild ability, and Paladins could have big bonuses in catching the non guilded? That would sound pretty fair to me, as it's not just guilded people stealing.

And if it makes you feel any better, with low expert perception and nearing expert stealing people my circle can still steal from me too, Lennon. The stealing skill is really broken.

Toren Sunreign-Jade-Stone, S'kra Gopher who doesn't actually want to be unhindered in HP
Re: That dang timer again 04/27/2002 09:42 PM CDT
<<Hmm. Maybe then, Thieves should get the special bonuses in Stealing as a guild ability, >>

They already get a bonus to stealing...

<<And if it makes you feel any better, with low expert perception and nearing expert stealing people my circle can still steal from me too>>

This wasnt someone my circle, this was someone who, at best, was half my circle...

--Just a Squire
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 12:08 AM CDT
So, what...someone half your circle cant be better than you at something?

A moonie half your circle cant be better than you at magic, because they're half your circle?

Thieves are survival primary, and stealing is included in that. They specialize in things like stealing. I dont understand, what makes you think that just because you can move around better in HP and have more teaching, that you shouldnt be able to be stolen from by someone who practices endlessly at stealing from people?

You may be a guard, but if you dont know how people steal, you're STILL not going to protect yourself very well against it.

The thing is, guards can do more than just catch people stealing...think about defending the city in invasions, against crazy people on killing sprees, etc...stealing isnt the only crime, you know...
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 01:02 AM CDT
>They already get a bonus to stealing...<

If a bonus means I can get caught on items (semi consistently) 100 ranks below me and lose ranks in an entire skillset because of it, yes, I have a bonus to stealing.

If a bonus means we're the only guild that can operate at below base ranks even with all our skills while in our element, yes, we have a bonus.

If a bonus means that we can inherently do better at stealing than anyone else in a spot with no affinities to either side (i.e. wilderness), no abilities up, and same ranks, then no, we don't have a bonus.

If a bonus means we can do something with the skill that other people can't, then no, we don't have a bonus.

>This wasnt someone my circle, this was someone who, at best, was half my circle...<

Yeah, but the point is it doesn't matter, no matter how good you get, even the highest guilded thieves get stolen from like they've got no skill.

Toren Sunreign-Jade-Stone, S'kra Gopher
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 01:13 AM CDT
<<A moonie half your circle cant be better than you at magic, because they're half your circle?>>

Actually no...Most mages 10 circles less than me don't have my magic...

<<Thieves are survival primary, and stealing is included in that. They specialize in things like stealing. I dont understand, what makes you think that just because you can move around better in HP and have more teaching, that you shouldnt be able to be stolen from by someone who practices endlessly at stealing from people?>>

Try to read and formulate logical coherant thoughts before you spew forth nonsense. I never stated "Hey because I am unhindered in armor and have more teaching than the thief I should be able to protect myself from stealing." What I did state is that I saw the punk hide and sneak around "stealthily", got the name when marked and stalked, so I don't think they had much skill in anything to be honest...Yet in spite of all this, he was still able to steal from me...

<<You may be a guard, but if you dont know how people steal, you're STILL not going to protect yourself very well against it.>>

I'm not a guard, my character is a Paladin. I have suggested over and over we should be able to listen to people teach stealing, because it would be useful in understanding techniques. Akin to RL where police know what tactics criminals use and don't cover their ears when stealing is being discussed...Yet supposedly in Elanthia Paladins have all these ways to protect themselves, oddly however, these ways don't seem to work...Even with HOJ up the thief gets the coins or gems when you crush their hand...

<<The thing is, guards can do more than just catch people stealing...think about defending the city in invasions, against crazy people on killing sprees, etc...stealing isnt the only crime, you know...>>

Nope, but I can defend myself against murderers, oddly I can't protect myself from theft...

Wonderful post though, I enjoyed it immensely...

--Just a Squire
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 01:21 AM CDT
I can be marked as an extremely difficult target by a thief and still get stolen from without much difficulty.

It's broken.

I can be stolen from by someone with about 1/4 my perception ranks in stealing.

It's broken.

I can occasionally get stolen from people... empaths no less... with less than 10 ranks of stealing, which is over 100 less than my perception.

That don't sound right.

If someone has 100 ranks of perception, it should take at least 100 ranks of stealing to get around them. It's only common sense...

And if someone has less than 80% of your perception ranks in their stealing skill, you should catch them EVERY TIME. Realistically, it ain't easy to steal from people who train how to protect themselves.

Calemnon
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 04:30 AM CDT
>If a bonus means we're the only guild that can operate at below base ranks even with all our skills while in our element, yes, we have a bonus.

You have to be caught so many times to be below base ranks that if you're that stupid you probly deserve it.

>If a bonus means we can do something with the skill that other people can't, then no, we don't have a bonus.

My 10th level Thief in TF with 55 stealing and 15 agility can shoplift items easily that I can't even grab as a Trader with 110 stealing and 40 agility. I'd call that a bonus.

Apu
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 04:43 AM CDT
>I can be marked as an extremely difficult target by a thief and still get stolen from without much difficulty.

Well that particular part is really something broken with mark, not stealing. People can mark as impossibly difficult and you can still get like 6-8 grabs off them if you're good enough

Apu
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 12:14 PM CDT
No, you may not have said that, but by saying something to the effect of 'half my circle' you implied it. I'm not extremely familiar with paladin requirements, but I seem to recall lore and armor being the two biggies.

Now, just because you can sense them marking you and stalking you...heck, you even know who they are and WHERE they are doesnt mean you HAVE to see them stealing.

In a city, there is (in theory) a ton of other people around (i.e. a throng of people [in descriptions]) and by being aware of one person hiding, you may lose track of that person in the multitude of other people.

When you see a person hiding, you lose the ability to point without searching after awhile. That implies that you (or anyone else for that matter) are unable to keep track of every single person in a room.

Therefore, you may be able to sense the person marking you, stalking you, but you still may not know where they are. If you get their name, you can search and point. If you see them stalking, you can point.

I'm rambling...the point is, you may be able to sense things, but it doesnt mean that you see them doing it. You may be able to sense a thief stealing from you, but they may be too quick for you to catch. Sensing CAN be after the fact...

As for HoJ, what makes you think that stealing isnt a two-handed job, where one hand grabs the coins and the second slips them away? You could crush the empty hand on the way out, but they'd still keep the coins...

As for listening to stealing, I'm inclined to agree with you. I see no reason Paladins shouldnt be able to LISTEN to stealing other than possible problems with atonement and coding.

BTW...defending yourself physically against an attacker is very much different from defending yourself from someone sneaking into your pockets...

One more thing...even with tons of perception, you only have two eyes that face forward... :)
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 12:20 PM CDT
Go back and read his first post then read your last one and try again.

Tyden
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 01:03 PM CDT
So...if there were things ready to pop out from the shadows and try to kill YOU, would YOU be more worried about the things trying to kill you or the sneaky guy walking around?

By the way, its called Whistling WOODS...that means, there are trees, bushes, all sorts of things to hide behind...and move around in...just because they hide somewhere doesnt mean they have to STAY there...and you'll say "But I have enough perception to see them move around" ... yes, you might, but you might also lose track of them while watching out for the things trying to kill you
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 01:11 PM CDT
so he sees him hide, he sees him stalk, and he wont see him steal bud your stretching and you know it, the stealing formula is backwards should of been perception first stealing second.

Tyden
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 02:56 PM CDT
<<As for HoJ, what makes you think that stealing isnt a two-handed job, where one hand grabs the coins and the second slips them away? You could crush the empty hand on the way out, but they'd still keep the coins...>>

I base my conclusion on this point on some tests I did with a thief friend of mine. When a thief steals the first gem off me they steal it with the same hand which I crush. So there they are with their mangled hand, holding onto a gem, while thier other hand is empty and unharmed. I am guessing the same would go for coins, even though you can't see the coins in hand...

What HOJ should do is when the hand is crushed the gem or coins drop to the ground or back into the pouch/coin purse.

As far as the rest goes, I won't even bother anymore. Evidence and common sense is stacked against your position.

Happy pocket hunting...

--Just a Squire
--Just a Squire
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 04:13 PM CDT
backwards? no, i dont think so...

even if you know how people will come at you when they try to steal, you need to see them...

If you dont know how they'll come at you, you either need to watch your purse constantly or you need to rely on luck to let you notice...

Its like trying to play baseball without knowing how to hold the bat...(not a perfect analogy, i know, but it kinda works)

And Lennon, I'll see if i can find a way to twist the truth after i poke around with my pally friend
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 06:23 PM CDT
<<And Lennon, I'll see if i can find a way to twist the truth after i poke around with my pally friend >>

Heh you must be a statistician =P

--Just a Squire
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 07:56 PM CDT
There's a difference between knowing how to steal and knowing how to catch someone stealing.

You shouldn't have to know how to steal on order to know how to catch someone stealing.

And I don't care how many people are around.. if I sense someone sneaking up on me, I'm keeping my eyes on my wallet.
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 09:22 PM CDT
>>You shouldn't have to know how to steal on order to know how to catch someone stealing.

You don't have to know how to steal to catch someone... you need to be perceptive. In order to stop someone from stealing you have to know their tactics.
Re: That dang timer again 04/28/2002 09:58 PM CDT
But no matter how perceptive you are, you're still at a disadvantage, if only because the thief will always have a few tricks up their sleeves that you dont know about
Re: That dang timer again 04/29/2002 10:26 AM CDT
<<But no matter how perceptive you are, you're still at a disadvantage, if only because the thief will always have a few tricks up their sleeves that you dont know about >>

What if I decide to carry my coins inside my socks ?
:P

Paladin Phanton
Re: That dang timer again 04/29/2002 10:28 AM CDT
>>What if I decide to carry my coins inside my socks ? :P

You could only do that if you had a pair of moneysocks (like moneybelt).
Re: That dang timer again 04/29/2002 11:43 AM CDT
>>Or, can have it up, and be stolen from thru it anyway. At least by pros, who can see your hand twitch. And moon magi can sense it on you as well, if they can perceive you.

That's so wrong its silly.

You can't say "And Gonif still steals from everyone" or "And Soim still steals from everyone" and say "The pros will get you yet HAHAHA!" without realizing that the only reason they can is because they have higher skill.

Of course you'll get stolen through it, of course then you end up comparing those pros to a paladin with 300 perception, 50 charisma, GoL up, clarity, HoJ, high reflexes...
Re: That dang timer again 04/29/2002 11:59 AM CDT
> the stealing formula is backwards should of been perception first stealing second.

I agree. The skill checks, perc vs. steal, make more sense than steal vs. steal in PC stealing, not only for paladins, but for all guilds. Should probably be a random 'lucky grab' modifier, as well.

As an example, steal/perc ratio has ranges.
- s/p = .5 or lower, 1 chance in 100 for succesful grab
- s/p = .6-.51, 1 in 80
- s/p = .7-.61, 1 in 60
- s/p = .8-.71, 1 in 40
- s/p = .9-.81, 1 in 20
- s/p = 1-.91, 1 in 10
- s/p = 1.25-1.5, 1 in 5
- s/p - 1.5+, 1 in 2

Now take that chart, and factor victim steal ranks, and skill modifiers, like magic, cookies, and confidence to increase or decrease success. Maybe that is slighted away from theives, but whatever, I made em up to show the trend, not to go into exact numbers.

Something like this would have some consistancy; whereas the victim sees thief hide, stalk, the victim should not lose any coins.

Also allows those that train the bejeezus outta stealing to gain from those ranks, as well as the folks who train the bejeezus outta perception.

-Slaris, have you seen my glasses?
Re: That dang timer again 04/29/2002 09:03 PM CDT
>By the way, its called Whistling WOODS...that means, there are trees, bushes, all sorts of things to hide behind...and move around in...just because they hide somewhere doesnt mean they have to STAY there...and you'll say "But I have enough perception to see them move around" ... yes, you might, but you might also lose track of them while watching out for the things trying to kill you

You say that as if it would make a difference if he was standing in the middle of a baren desert.

Litharius
Re: That dang timer again 04/29/2002 09:19 PM CDT
<<You say that as if it would make a difference if he was standing in the middle of a baren desert.>>

Nope, there are trillions of grains of sand one can hide behind there...

--Just a Squire
Re: That dang timer again 04/30/2002 08:25 AM CDT
>>Nope, there are trillions of grains of sand one can hide behind there...

Don't forget dressing up like a cactus.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page