Prev_page Previous 1
Re: SO changes 05/07/2019 09:04 PM CDT
These changes feel un-playtested and a little excessive - had been staying out of Shard proper but there are unavoidable justice zones in the areas between hunting grounds, etc.

[Fayrin's Rest, Telgi Mod'Sunhin]
Massive oaks extend a silver-grey canopy of leaves that fades quickly into inkblack darkness from here to the east, north and south. The air shimmers and whispers softly, sibilantly, of long growth and gradual decay. A few slender cedars and elms mark the beginning of a denser forest to the west, one marked by greater undergrowth and steeper rises. You also see a small, faintly glowing obelisk.
Obvious paths: east, southwest.

A troupe of city guards rides into the area, led at the front by several rangers! One of them points at you. "There he is! Don't let him get away!"
Several of the guards quickly tackle you! Binding your arms and legs, they soon have you completely unable to move. One of them clobbers you on the head, and the world goes black.
Once you're free again, you feel certain you're going to want to stay out of the city and not attempt to use any city services around for quite some time, until things die down.
Re: SO changes 05/07/2019 10:43 PM CDT

>>These changes feel un-playtested and a little excessive - had been staying out of Shard proper

Same thing happened to me. Never been banished in the year or so with my character, and suddenly was for the first time tonight. Hopefully this'll be tweaked.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 10:44 AM CDT
The social outrage changes are buggy. They consistently are going way overboard.

After reading the necromancer chat there is two reasons for this

1. Necromancers who havent chosen a side are somehow getting insane social outrage in a matter of seconds. We had those who declared a side run through a town fully buffed with no social outrage. We had Necromancers who havent chosen a side walk into town with no buffs and ROG and get hounded. We think there is an issue with this part of the system.

2. Gaining social outrage outside the city. We had a non necromancer who was down in Mael's dungeon who was tearing a social outrage item only in that area. The moment they stepped into town their social outrage was maxed and they were kicked out of town.

I know the conversation before was said this wasnt an issue, but as the social outrage has change the issue has exponentially increased. Yes social outrage should be a thing, but someone shouldnt be hounded the for a spell being on when they havent done anything else.

Totenus
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 10:51 AM CDT

What's the syntax for declaring a side?

I'm finding the changes unplayable. Got banished from Shard by breezing through it. Now Crossing thinks I'm a necromancer and won't let me use the bank. I've always played my necro as stealth so I'm not used to this stuff. Does being banished from one town automatically max you out at other towns? I don't get it.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:06 AM CDT
>>Yes social outrage should be a thing, but someone shouldnt be hounded the for a spell being on when they havent done anything else.

In your specific case, Totenus has multiple times since the system has been on:

1) Been seen wearing or holding a blatantly necromantic item.
2) '' having visible necromancy upon him.
3) '' having too high social outrage.

Totenus was not (and no PC can be) automatically hounded for a single infraction.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:16 AM CDT
Question about #1
I got a message periodically in rooms with someone with the amulet saying "they must be a necromancer!" Hilarious as that was - is that what you are talking about with the #1 flag? So if you wear an obviously necromancers item in your house by yourself, that won't trigger?
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:16 AM CDT

My issues were not about me. My only issue about me is being arrested in a non justice area, then taken to the jail convicted THEN killed by the hounds. Those other instances are all about other players and the issues they are running into.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:26 AM CDT

Now I understand I'm the one saying something so focus on me. You shouldnt be arrested in non justice areas. You shouldnt be then killed right after. Yes I wore the talisman. I didnt wear the talisman in town. Yes I went through towns before with buffs up, I also went through towns before with ROG up.

The issue isnt any of that.

The issue is players who havent had ANYTHING to do with having buffs up, talismans on, or anything of the such are getting screwed.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:32 AM CDT
>>The issue is players who havent had ANYTHING to do with having buffs up, talismans on, or anything of the such are getting screwed.

Anyone who feels their necro has been accused for no reason are free to e-mail me with the name/instance of their Necro and I'll take a look.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:42 AM CDT
>> Totenus was not (and no PC can be) automatically hounded for a single infraction.

Armifer,

Would you be willing to provide any details about when Hounding kicks in? Is that an indication you've capped your SO? If not, can you give a range?

Additionally:
- If you get hounded and you're not capped, I assume the hounding itself gives you more SO?
- To confirm: SO is still province-based, correct?

- I
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:43 AM CDT

While the SO changes SEEM frustrating and new, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to the player feedback! I am going to be need adjust how my necro functions day-to-day. It's been easy mode for a while.

-Zharen
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:53 AM CDT
Just as a general note, I'm not going to be back in DR for awhile today due to appointments and stuff, so responses may get scatter shot and such. I apologize if something falls through the cracks and will be back in more detail this evening.

-Armifer
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 12:04 PM CDT
For me, I've been doing things exactly the same for months. Within 30 minutes of the post two characters that haven't been so much as glanced at ages are both arrested and ousted.

I'm honestly okay with ramping up SO detection. It makes sense from an IC standpoint. Just epic frustrated that with zero warning what I've done for ages is suddenly a problem. Other than having up a single buff in town, I can't find that I did anything so terribly wrong to go from nothing to exile in a blink.

I've heard of people now being in trouble in three provinces and they're not even sure what they did for so strong a reaction.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 12:17 PM CDT

>>To confirm: SO is still province-based, correct?

Some seem linked in an odd way, maybe adjacent? I was banished from Shard, and now Crossing won't let me use services. However, Haven and Theren both will do business with me.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 12:27 PM CDT

Ok.... I'm going to play devils advocate here, and I'm positive I'm not the only one thinking this or believing there is an elephant in the room.

But how many of you guys having problems with this SO problem have played DR through LICH or straight from a script? And have never really gone through the understanding of the possible repercussions of what being a member of the necro guild can potentially give rise to possible consequences?

Just throwing that out there.

Rifkinn
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 12:30 PM CDT
>>But how many of you guys having problems with this SO problem have played DR through LICH or straight from a script? And have never really gone through the understanding of the possible repercussions of what being a member of the necro guild can potentially give rise to possible consequences?

I think the big difference people are feeling is that before, you had to be CAREFUL, but if you made a slip up you could possibly get away with it. Now, you make a slip up and you're guaranteed screwed. So it's not a matter of not understanding the possible repercussions, it's the repercussions going from POSSIBLE to GUARANTEED.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 03:23 PM CDT
Another question popped to mind:

Can we get clarification on how the "blatantly necromantic items" work, from an SO standpoint?

How it was explained to me: you temporarily get max SO while wearing/holding said item. If that's incorrect, any chance someone could explain the mechanics? I'd hate for this to be PAFO.

"You have a feeling that being seen in possession of such an item may bring unwanted heat upon you."

I have one. I use it sparingly, and am careful about where it's used and where I handle it.

- I
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 03:31 PM CDT
So, I want to touch on two broad issues as, well, broad issues rather than specific responses.

PVP OPEN PERVERSE:
Honestly, this is a matter of pretty vivid discussion both here and behind the scenes. We have a lot to digest and think about, both in terms of "should villains be accountable in a PvP manner?" but also more broadly "should PCs be able to portray villains at all, if not?" There's also a matter of how much we want to generally pull away from PvP as conflict resolution versus keeping as much of the spirit of the Necromancers intact as we can within that concept.

Which is all a long way of saying I don't have an answer yet, but I'm still actively listening and looking.

SO CHANGES:
There is one potential change I'm considering doing (vagueness because I'm not at the code yet and so can't confirm if what I think is happening is happening), but beyond that I want to give this one a few days as people get used to dealing with SO again and remembering how to sneak. At the heart of the issue, yes, "just one" trans buff on you in town (if not properly Grace'd) is too many, not being sneaky and discrete has always been meant to send you on the merry path to SO.

While I won't rule out adjustments, I feel here more than the previous issue that it's less a design issue (bugs and math tweaks not withstanding) and more an issue of expectations that got lost somewhere along the way and are now being enforced vigorously.

-Armifer
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 03:36 PM CDT
>>Can we get clarification on how the "blatantly necromantic items" work, from an SO standpoint?

It accrues actual SO every so often for Necros that needs to be bled off with normal decay. They're pretty bad news to be wearing / holding as currently written.

-Armifer
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 03:44 PM CDT
A post was hidden.

Just a reminder, you may not conflict in the Necromancer folders.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 03:52 PM CDT
I'm not so much concerned with the SO changes because I know how to sneak, I don't even have the RoG spell anymore, but that's neither here nor there. What I want to touch on is the pvp aspect. I've been pvp open for as long as I can remember, I like to pvp, a lot of us like to pvp and as much as you want to pull away from it, just remember there are those of us that enjoy it very much. Should PC's be able to be villains? Yes they should, some people may argue with me some may agree. This game needs villains, not just GMNPC villains but villains that are in the game day to day, that hey maybe you don't know what they are going to say, or what they are going to do. It's fun, it's entertaining and it's how I have fleshed out Zehira to be. Was I always great at it? No I wasn't. Have I come a long way in the last couple of years, yes I have. Again not everyone will agree but anyone that associates with me or my little 'clique' as they will call them can tell you that.

Now, should PC villains be accountable in a PvP manner, absolutely we should be. It's not going to always end in a conflict, many times Rifkinn and I merely gweth back and forth while we're laughing in our DM in discord....hey that was a good one, yea it really was. It doesn't always have to end in conflict,but the conflict does not need to be taken away if the two parties, or sometimes more than two parties want it to end that way. If I took Zehira to Theren and stood at the gate, yelling about demons and how she was going to sacrifice any that got in her way, would I expect conflict? Yes I would. It's to be expected in some cases. As far as the SO changes, just be sneaky sneaky.

Z

I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 04:06 PM CDT

PVP Open Perverse:

1. PC's, necromancer or otherwise, are the only villains in your game. Showing up once a month/quarter to mustache twirl and add 'content' via some GMNPC that everyone's had highlighted and been clicker-trained to immediately step over eachother to interact with doesnt cut it. Support for the dedicated Heroes of the game is extensive. Support for villainous PCs is essentially glass orbs. Give the villains better tools and you'll see better plots, stories, and interactions.

2. Should villains be accountable in a PvP manner?

Yes, unless you're going to continue to implement mechanical impediments to ever interacting with other players in a social setting like you've taken steps towards this week. If the intent is to make it near-impossible to play a 'PC Villain' then PvP for them wont matter as they'll have to generate contrived interactions in order to play their role rather than have some organic reactions to the other players.

If your intent is to make sure that GMNPC's are the only villains, then you're going to get very binary responses. Either you're going to create a low-level 'villain' that people can effectively ignore because they've out-trained it, or you'll have some super-villain that even HLC's get nuked by. Both of those are lazy choices, have been seen for literally decades, and frankly from a player perspective suck. Do better.

3. Pulling away from PvP as a conflict resolution - You got big plans for a debate society? Maybe a HLC-only roshambo league to settle arguements? Dice game to decide who gets to win the duel? Why burn all that dev time on 'scaled pvp' mechanics? Dont you think the game as a whole would've been better served to use those VERY limited developer cycles on something that the general populace would use more frequently? If there's pressure from 'leadership' to reduce player-based conflict while at the same time building ways to allow for more player-based conflict, might be time for a vote of No Confidence.

SO CHANGES:
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I actually applaud you for making Necromancers have to "Play" their characters now with intent and discipline and purpose rather than allow endless numbers of 'advanced mode' scrubs to move freely without repercussions and consequence to their actions. This is the one good thing thats come from this event/release/whatever and I think its long overdue. If I could make a single recommendation it would be not to tune backwards but increase the 'heat'. You've just via lore and IC history punched one of the most evil entities the game has ever known straight in the mouth and that SHOULD send Necromancers everywhere running for the hills to get the hell out of the limelight. If the populace is aware enough that their heroes can take down a demon then I think they'd be supercharged and overly confident that they too could ferret out the tainted among them.

-Nsar
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 04:11 PM CDT
re: "blatantly necromantic items"

Thanks, Armifer. Appreciate the clarification, particularly since I was quite wrong.

- I
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 06:13 PM CDT
>>While I won't rule out adjustments, I feel here more than the previous issue that it's less a design issue (bugs and math tweaks not withstanding) and more an issue of expectations that got lost somewhere along the way and are now being enforced vigorously.

I would agree with the general consensus that it seems extremely aggressive at the moment. If this is the new normal I shall adapt, of course.

Just a moment ago:
- Am Forsaken.
- No trans buffs up.
- No forbidden items in-hand or worn, though I did have one on during the recent event.
- SO was low enough not to show up in JUSTICE.
- No ROC up; in plain sight.
- My first trip to Zoluren for a bit (days to weeks).

I ran from the gondola through Leth, swam the Segoltha and went straight to the Crossing bank. Withdrew some coin and went straight for the NE Gate. Barring the couple seconds at the teller's window I was basically moving at scripting speeds the entire time.

Got hit with a Forbidden Practices charge the second I stepped outside the Crossing city limits. I have exited Zoluren entirely.

>justice
You're fairly certain this area is lawless and unsafe.
You are also fairly sure that the people are convinced you are either a necromancer or sorcerer.

- I
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 06:36 PM CDT
>>No forbidden items in-hand or worn, though I did have one on during the recent event.

This is why. Your SO was extremely high. SO incurred in non-provincial areas like the Soul of Maelshyve default to Zoluren.

>>Got hit with a Forbidden Practices charge the second I stepped outside the Crossing city limits. I have exited Zoluren entirely.

If the accusation itself really happened in a non-justice area, please BUG where it happened so we can check the room. If what happened there was just the arrest, however, that is normal above a certain fine amount and not part of the latest updates.

GM Grejuva
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 06:46 PM CDT
>>Got hit with a Forbidden Practices charge the second I stepped outside the Crossing city limits. I have exited Zoluren entirely.

And I just got hounded. In the Crossing Guard House. While trying to surrender.

- I
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 07:07 PM CDT
Appreciate the response, Grejuva.

>> Your SO was extremely high.

Can that be reflected in JUSTICE? Was seeing an all-clear while in Zoluren.

>> SO incurred in non-provincial areas like the Soul of Maelshyve default to Zoluren.

Eww. Any chance this can be tweaked? A fake/extra province for defaults would be great. I also had an issue on the HE fest grounds, which makes a lot more sense now.

>>If the accusation itself really happened in a non-justice area, please BUG where it happened so we can check the room. If what happened there was just the arrest, however, that is normal above a certain fine amount and not part of the latest updates.

I will BUG the room. Was immediately outside the Crossing NE Gate. Wasn't arrested; just charged.

- I

P.S. I left Zoluren, then returned under EOTB and ROC to try to clear the charge. Dropped EOTB in the guard house and got ganked by the Hounds.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 07:09 PM CDT
>I will BUG the room. Was immediately outside the Crossing NE Gate. Wasn't arrested; just charged.

That's a justice area. By design.
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 07:17 PM CDT
>>I will BUG the room. Was immediately outside the Crossing NE Gate. Wasn't arrested; just charged.

Actually, I won't. It looks like the room immediately outside the gates is in a justice zone. Just got unlucky and the system tagged me at the last possible opportunity. One more room and I've had been clear.

[Northeast Wilds, Outside Northeast Gate]
You also see a narrow footpath, the Northeast Gate, a bucket of viscous gloop and a weathered roadsign.
Obvious paths: north, east, southeast.

I>justice
After assessing the area, you think local law enforcement keeps an eye on what's going on here.
You are also fairly sure that the people are convinced you are either a necromancer or sorcerer.

Time to abandon Zoluren for real for a while...

- I
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:09 PM CDT
Just thought I'd share my fun loop.

Ran through crossing (travel script) got jailed and exiled and hounded.
logged out

Logged in and got hunted and jailed and then executed.
Got to the bank and managed to pull out money automatically paying fines, then got jailed again.

Got lucky and pulled a plead innocence and grabbed my stuff and ran.

- Mortifer

Doing the good work, not just the Great Work
Re: SO changes 05/08/2019 11:36 PM CDT
I rarely post here, but this has caused enough churn that I wanted to put my two cents in.

-This was sprung on people with no warning, and that's just not kind to the player base when the results are a surprise round of dying and possibly losing all their items. It's not unreasonable to expect a small window of notice before the world suddenly changes in a way that can and has negatively impacted players.
-The SO spiral that hit people has left players demoralized - Please do a one time SO wipe for people to at least let us stay on our feet in this new world. A free pass for those that had no warning of this change. If people mess up going forward let that be on them.
-Gaining 'social outrage' for wearing an evil item while in another dimension is mind boggling to me. Social Outrage is a great concept, but if I wear a pointy hat in another dimension, why do the residents of Crossing suddenly know it? If this is the case, no secret evil plan could ever come to fruition. Please let things done in the dark stay in the dark.

-Seva
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 01:13 AM CDT
Just a point of data: 150th Plat Necromancer, Aligned Philosopher.

Stood around on Shard streets for just under 40 minutes with no issues before being bored and leaving. At the end I had no sign of issue in Justice.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 01:22 AM CDT

Yeah, but everyone is adults in plat, no gankers, no open killers... and see as you have just proven, even the Hounds are Adult. ;)

Rifkinn
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 02:04 AM CDT
<<Just a reminder, you may not conflict in the Necromancer folders.

Devil's advocate and admittedly a slight tangent, albeit a genuine question:

<<POLICY:
<<There is no longer any conceptual difference between a Necromancer and any other guild as far as policy goes.

Should the forum policy regarding the necromancer folder be changed in light of the new in game policy too? It was honestly my first thought upon reading Armifer's announcement post.
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 09:22 AM CDT
<<Should the forum policy regarding the necromancer folder be changed in light of the new in game policy too? It was honestly my first thought upon reading Armifer's announcement post.

You make a very good point, and I will be working with the SGMs to review this policy to decide if it needs changing. As of now, the current policy of no conflicts in the Necromancer folders still stands. Please post with it in mind.

Thank you,
Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 11:49 AM CDT
>PVP OPEN PERVERSE:
Honestly, this is a matter of pretty vivid discussion both here and behind the scenes. We have a lot to digest and think about, both in terms of "should villains be accountable in a PvP manner?" but also more broadly "should PCs be able to portray villains at all, if not?" There's also a matter of how much we want to generally pull away from PvP as conflict resolution versus keeping as much of the spirit of the Necromancers intact as we can within that concept.

Armifer...

Firstly, I want to take off the table, anything to do with abuse towards stances, players or abusive behaviors.

All of us that do participate in this realm of conflict RP that involves PvP do have a set of etiquette we go by (as im sure your aware), Maybe im naïve but it works for me, and seemingly the ones I RP with. Both villains and good guys. This type of behavior works (again abuse not on the table for sake of discussion)and when their is "PC only RP" and conflict breaks out in the realm of PvP we have a ball with it. It is enjoyable both for those participating and those that just observe and like to watch from the sidelines.

For me, its a break from the grind, its something more to do than just sit around and chat. It puts my character up against another character in a vastly immersive way. I have to think and play more quickly, not just with attacking but via RP as well. There have been a number of players that have become quite inquisitive toward RP and PvP just by watching my antics. For them this is seen as being enjoyable and a new experience within the game that they would like to try as some already have.

My characters depth is added to by my involvement with other characters, and having a villain is a great way to bounce off. To the point of playing the Zealot ive found a way to be both of sorts.

(I am worried about SO and being able to PvP in town against the current Necro villains, but i'll state what I have stated and see what direction this discussion goes)

Rifkinn
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 12:04 PM CDT
>>SO incurred in non-provincial areas like the Soul of Maelshyve default to Zoluren.

Alrighty. My justice charge has been cleared and I'm officially laying low.

In my career as a Necromancer I have a total of two severe SO issues, both caused by these "non-provincial areas". I did something (intentionally) in those areas, then hit issues when entering the real Zoluren. Knowing the WHY is helpful, so thank you again.

Not having a clear way of knowing a room's default province makes this fun. That's my only real issue at this point.

Any chance someone can broadly list which areas, or kinds of areas, are "non-provincial"?

- Soul of Maelshyve
- Festival Areas (I got pinged during HE)
- Houses and Boats (?)

Where else?

- I
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 03:16 PM CDT
>> Not having a clear way of knowing a room's default province makes this fun

I want to say you can use the PAY verb to figure this out, at least mostly.

--
Re: SO changes 05/09/2019 03:28 PM CDT
>>I want to say you can use the PAY verb to figure this out, at least mostly.

"At least mostly" is exactly where I ran into trouble.

(Appraise also give you values in the local currency.)

I would love it if the governing province showed up in JUSTICE. Would love it more if these odd areas didn't map to a real default (often on the other side of the world), though I totally get that's probably means updates to a ton of locations.

- I
Re: SO changes 05/29/2019 12:17 PM CDT

We have received a handful of assists and bug reports about being arrested 'outside of justice': As both a reminder and point of clarification, a posse can be sent after you even if you are not in a justice zone, as a function of how badly that province wants you. The accusations (and the actions that set them off) ARE bound to justice areas. The angry mob that is hunting you down for having caused too much trouble is not. There is also a significant cool down between automatic justice system events.

Posses are not a new feature of the system.
Prev_page Previous 1