Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 03:03 PM CST
Initially testing puts the vitality cost at 17% without perform cut and 11% with it. My thoughts are this is far too much for it to see any sort of usage. I would like to see it decreased at least to 8% with perform cut, as that is around the amount regained by a single cast of SV.

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 03:06 PM CST
It's a really cool spell messaging wise but 2 slots for a 11% at best vitality loss for a stagger + TM hit, meh. Not for me. Sounds like a really vile and sinister spell but still isn't IMO.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 03:06 PM CST
This is at full mana with around 1k in all magics.

"If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself." ~ Martin Heidegger
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 03:10 PM CST
The degree of the Vit hit is negotiable.

Note, though, it's an absolute value, not a percentage. Your Stamina matters.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 03:16 PM CST
Ah, thanks for confirming something we suspected. My numbers are with 79 stamina. 10% with min mana no cut, 6% with perform cut.

Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 03:47 PM CST

The niche I see this filling is as an alternative to SHOVE to act as ranged support for our pets, and having a KD in our repertoire is a nice hole filled that we would have had to use sorcery for previously. That said, the vit hit seems too high even with perform cut, given the need to maintain a vit buffer in most combat that matters. I'd suggest replacing the vit hit with a longer CD (say, the spell is only castable every 1m)? Or maybe make the balance reduction component only proc on a CD, and otherwise treat the spell as a multihit. The vit hit makes me want to not really use this at all though, and I feel there are better options for an assured knockdown to be had in sorcery (Thunderclap, DMRS, IP, etc). I know the name of the game isn't neccesarily avoiding anything that other guilds magic does, but given the penalties here, I'm not seeing much of a percentage for BlB to win out over other spells.

It seems like a neat addition, adding a KD, but I still think it's not quite where it needs to be to be a worthwhile unique spell. It seems to be straddling this awkward range of being a big whallop, with a big penalty, for something we can already kind of do albeit at melee with a different secondary skill, but is still TM so negates use while under the effects of WORM, and isn't cast from hiding so eliminates the use of stealth...

I'm not sure, something about it just doesn't feel quite there.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 05:06 PM CST
Removing or drastically reducing the vit drain while returning it to the Heavy TM cooldown timer is not out of the question.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 05:31 PM CST

I hate to just naysay what's been presented without really providing any alternative suggests, so I won't restate the issues I had.

A few ideas have been kicked around then for alternatives in the past that I think still hold potential.

1. Change it to a ST cyclic (be extra nice and make it aoe!). Mechanically it may behave somewhat like SA but doing vit damage instead of spirit damage. I envision something like the old MoA.

2. Make it like AE, and effectively become a DoT.

3. Make it like CRS, and effectively become a DaT (maybe even multihit!).

4. Make it like SET, and let us tag a target with it, and any time later on CD, I dunno, PERFORM BLBEXPLODO (clunky, I know) to basically invoke a TM hit against them for mana on our end.

5. Make it like HoT, an offensive anti-magic. Maybe barrier penetration/negation/removal?

6. Add a meta that provides flexibility - a stamina/reflex debuff, a root to prevent retreating/advancing, a reduced efficacy SV effect on hits/pulses?

Basically, make the spell do something that none of our other spells currently do, and that isn't really achievable by sorcery (which is partially a product of holy/signature spells being what I pointed to here).
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:16 PM CST
I know I have a reputation as a WM, but I do have a baby Necromancer, so I do have some horse in this race, and I feel like I have a good understanding of the magic system.

> Removing or drastically reducing the vit drain while returning it to the Heavy TM cooldown timer is not out of the question.

Ultimately, this would be my preference. The nature of the vitality damage reduction system means that, in a clutch situation, I'm not going to be willing to burn my vitality really at all. And if it's not that clutch... well, I'm not sure designing spells around "playing with your food" is the best choice. The importance of vitality for this system means balance for this spell would be on a razor's edge between "the cost is meaningless once you get enough stamina" and "the cost is oppressive", and I think that makes a vit drain just a hard thing to do. Making the decrease an absolute value only complicates that situation, unfortunately.

I like the idea behind the changes to give BLB something to differentiate itself. I could even go for making it 3 slots and adding something to it.

> 1. Change it to a ST cyclic (be extra nice and make it aoe!). Mechanically it may behave somewhat like SA but doing vit damage instead of spirit damage. I envision something like the old MoA.

> 2. Make it like AE, and effectively become a DoT.

The big thing I'd caution about here is that these two spells are often seen as some of the most overpowered spells in the game. Even if you disagree with that statement, the mechanic of having the DoT still hit even if you're not in the room is probably one of the most frustrating things to be hit with, particularly with SA's capability of continuing to hit you for an extremely long period of time.

> 3-5
I like these, in general, as options to make existing TM spells more interesting. Maybe they're not appropriate for BLB, but they might be nice for some other spells.

> 6. Add a meta that provides flexibility - a stamina/reflex debuff, a root to prevent retreating/advancing, a reduced efficacy SV effect on hits/pulses?

As I said before, I could totally go for an additional effect, but stacking a second debilitation effect on this spell would seem a bit much. I mean, Paeldryth's Wrath costs 2 slots for a TM spell with a knockback effect, but as a cost it's actually incapable of damage. Similarly, many debil spells have had their damage removed. If that restriction is changing, I'm actually fine with that, as I think it can give spells more variety. I'd just like to know so I can suggest other changes. If it's not really changing and this is an exception, I suspect we're probably not going to get much more than Armifer has already announced.

Incidentally, Armifer, slot cost reduction or buff incoming to PW in light of this? ;)

- Saragos
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:32 PM CST
>>Incidentally, Armifer, slot cost reduction or buff incoming to PW in light of this? ;)

While as a rule of thumb disadvantages don't affect slot cost, I'll review the spell and see if it's warranted in this case.

TM costing logic is typically "One slot for the basic TM effect, +1 if it does something nifty beyond that." If the basic TM effect is not there, I could see the argument to not pay for it.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:32 PM CST
My knee-jerk on the stagger is it's a neat mechanic, but the effect of Vitality in modern combat makes a vit cost VERY expensive. This spell screams at me to be an 'oh crap' or a clutch type card for those over your head type situations, and zapping your own vit in those moments is often counter productive.

I would rather a more token vit cost, removable via PERFORM CUT/Bleeding, on a longer cooldown (even Heavy TMs level), so that it's a potent tool in the toolbox without becoming a daily driver spell.

That all said, a DoT based Vitality attack (SV, as a DoT) would go a long, long way to redressing my issue with this current version, too.

Samsaren (and some various non-paladin types)
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:37 PM CST

I realized after I made that post/suggestion that my original issue was 'this spell isn't doing anything particularly novel' and my suggestions were 'here are non-novel alternatives'.

To just continue the discussion -

@Saragos thoughts on the vit expenditure - I think this is spot on. If I'm in a position to be able to spend vit for a spell that does damage and unbalances, I'm probably already in a winning position and/or have other options to do so without the vit cost.

>...the mechanic of having the DoT still hit even if you're not in the room is probably one of the most frustrating things to be hit with...

Then remove it! Or add a range! Or have the damage be a function of the distance to the caster! Incidentally, those are all suggestions for tweaking SA :D

The more I think on it, the more I think the best notion would be an (admittedly complicated) entirely new spell - TM cast on ST, and when the target is in the room the caster can PULL, PUSH, WAVE, POKE, etc for various effects on the target. Maybe PULL is a balance hit, PUSH does impact damage, WAVE is a vit hit, POKE does puncture... Etc?

Before I keep getting further adrift - ultimately the thing I want most from this spell is some feeling of the spell being compelling for both PvE and PvP, and perhaps some kind of pinnacle of our TM in terms of feeling unique and interesting. Currently Necromancers have some pretty niche TM tools (SV if you're bleeding out, VIVI for stealth sniping, and ACS for everything else), which ultimately get replaced by USOL. It'd be nice if BlB represented another interesting niche.

The spell currently evokes images of creating a glom of blood that is chucked with the explosive force of a grenade, but it currently feels a bit like a lackluster FS mixed with QE gooptoss.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:53 PM CST
So there's three directions I'm inclined to explore the feasibility of at the moment.

1) Make the discount for cut/bleeding deeper, keep the rest of the spell more-or-less as is.
2) Make the vit cost trivial (still present for lore reasons, probably), add Heavy TM Timer.
3) Scrap this version and go back to the drawing board as time permits.

I don't mean to sound nihilistic or aggressive with #3 -- I was being very honest at the start that this was experimental and might not work. But at the same time I'm not in a position to keep iterating Blood Burst over and over again over a short time, so I'd revert to the previous version and come back to it some time later.

My personal bias is to give #1 a try. Like I said in the initial post, the intent is that the vit drain makes casting this without weaving Siphon Vitality in problematic. I think of the vit drain as a "soft timer" that slows down the use of BLB unless you have the driving need / desire to push your limits. Obviously the vit drain needs to be low enough that a cast or two doesn't endanger you, but I'm not yet convinced the idea is totally sunk.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:55 PM CST
I like the change overall, it makes for an interesting opening attack. I think given the choice I'd rather it be on the heavy tm timer (and possibly have a damage buff? :P) than the vitality hit, for the same reasons that've been stated by others.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:56 PM CST
>>1) Make the discount for cut/bleeding deeper, keep the rest of the spell more-or-less as is.

If the discount was deep enough this WOULD be preferable to the timer, imo.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 06:59 PM CST
>> (and possibly have a damage buff? :P)

Our experiment with Heavy TM showed that increasing TM numbers even by a substantial amount is not as desirable as the maths would suggest. I actually don't know if there's a bottleneck in Combat Core I'm unaware of, if the messaging just doesn't reflect it good enough, or what, but it just doesn't seem like a productive place to go.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 07:13 PM CST
So, 1 might be worth attempting, after a bit more thought, but this is only because TM foci are increasingly being introduced. Let me explain my logic.

Without TM foci, I think opportunity cost sinks the idea of BLB > SV. The reason for this is that TM is always going to be supplemental damage rank for rank compared to weapons, by design. Weapons are always primary - and the best way to maximize damage with weapons is to debilitate first. BLB with a debil effect is great because I get that debil effect AND I do damage. SV, however, has to compete with other spells I could be using in that timeslice, particularly debil spells. So, really, the question becomes, "Is the extra damage from BLB > SV worth it when I could have just cast two debil spells instead?" I realize the skillset placement of Necromancers might make that calculus a little different, but as a WM I would likely say, "probably not." I don't have anything remotely close to a HLC Necro, though.

However, TM foci might change that situation. I only just got mine, so I haven't done much testing... but on that basis BLB > SV could be a choice that's not just a "playing with your food" option.

If 1 fails, though, Armifer, I think 2 is better than scrapping this version.

Also, thanks for keeping the dev going. It's much appreciated.

- Saragos
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 07:19 PM CST

#1 if I had my druthers. You can always hit up #3 down the road if burst(bloodburst?) of inspiration strikes and this version hasn't seen any significant adoption/utilization.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 07:28 PM CST
Blood Burst has been my favorite one of our spells since Lyras used it. I always wanted a niche use for it, and I love the balance hit/knockdown. If the cut/bleeder discount was better (#1) that would be ideal.

Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 08:10 PM CST
Okay, experiment version 2 out.

Base drain remains the same but the bleeder/cut discount was significantly increased.

My target is to hit roughly 5% of your vit at a discounted, level-approriate cast. This will vary based on if your Stamina is higher or lower than the numbers I pulled to construct my average. I've leaned towards trying to aim higher rather than lower in the fuzzy bits of the decision making. Also it may vary based on the fact I'm terrible with math and may simply have failed to hit my target.

While it'd certainly be easier to just make this a percentage-based effect, I'm currently feeling that the absolute cost is more fair. Percentage costs are easy to implement, but also substantially reduce (or even flip backwards) the reward for actually working on the stat.

Input continues to be welcomed. While the discount probably won't get deeper than it is now, there's still a few knobs I can turn to try fine-tuning this.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 09:21 PM CST

With CUT, the vit hit is fairly reasonable here (was seeing 6-7% hits), and I think barring solo chain spamming, this is something that I'd use somewhat regularly. I'm seeing knockdowns with 2-3 casts, which seems fine, I wager pairing with a shove or such this would be an effective tool in some situations, and the more I think about it, represents a nice tool without crushing penalties. Overall I think the choice between VIVI and BlB is a decent amount of combat choice that's nice to present.

I'd still like to see some additional effects added to our repertoire, either in the form of BlB metas or tweaks, OR modifications to existing spells. The cost feels appropriate for a decentish feeling bit of oomph with an added effect of the balance reduction, but something about the spell still feels not quite wowing. That may be due to personal expectations and starry eyes for it, but I think barring a complete rewriting of the spell like I over zealously suggested, it's in a fairly decent place, ish, now.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 09:25 PM CST
Pretty happy with the change. With a modified total Stamina of 96 I was seeing ~7% drain hit at cap with the Cut discount. Not terrible and easily removed with an average hit of SV as follow up. Definitely not something Id do back to back with reckless abandon, but good enough for me to want to work in a few casts to help me shield smash my target to a pulp. Would love to hear what people see with 100 stamina + CH boost.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 09:42 PM CST

> I like the change overall, it makes for an interesting opening attack. I think given the choice I'd rather it be on the heavy tm timer (and possibly have a damage buff? :P) than the vitality hit, for the same reasons that've been stated by others.

I don't have a horse in this race. My necro hasn't made it past 20, but vit right now is too important for damage barriers. Less vit would mean you not only get bigger hits, but you're more likely to get bigger wounds (and stacking stuns).

@Armifer, what about modifying the discount based on the heavy TM timer? You can use the spell at any time, but the discount is trivial if the heavy TM timer is up. Otherwise, you have the option of going berserker and sacrificing vit for a bigger hit.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 09:50 PM CST
While this is true, bear in mind that Necromancers are only edged out by Empaths in how situated they are to deal with vitality loss and wounds. I think the tools Necromancers bring to the table gives them enough leeway in this department to deal with a vit cost as a concept, as long as the cost is tuned well enough.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/28/2017 09:55 PM CST

> Our experiment with Heavy TM showed that increasing TM numbers even by a substantial amount is not as desirable as the maths would suggest. I actually don't know if there's a bottleneck in Combat Core I'm unaware of, if the messaging just doesn't reflect it good enough, or what, but it just doesn't seem like a productive place to go.

Slight tangent, kind of not, but what if the Heavy TM timer did something other than additional damage? The blood burst suggestion above aludes to this.

Option 1: Cast spell, Heavy TM timer is up. Vit cost is near 0 with (without?) cut.
Option 2: Cast spell, Heavy TM timer is not ready. Vit cost is much hgiher (discount with cut).

Other possibilities:
- Spell duplicates itself as a second cast if Heavy TM timer is ready. Slightly lower base damage, but much higher (and bonus learning since it's two casts for the cost of one) when the timer is up.
- Spell turns AOE when the timer is up.
- Spell gives you a short-term buff if cast with the timer. Ie: Paladin spell temporary blinds enemies (OF buff for you / DF debuff for them).
- Spell gives some sort of draining buff. Steal stats from your target for 30s (you get +x, they get -x)

etc...
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 07:52 AM CST

>While this is true, bear in mind that Necromancers are only edged out by Empaths in how situated they are to deal with vitality loss and wounds.

I don't think this is true. Hodierna's Lilt, Famine, and Bitter Feast are all pretty efficient ways of recovering Vitality, I'd say more or at least as efficient as SV.

I don't say this to be pedantic or argumentative, but to point out if we're balancing against other vit recovery abilities, SV is not particularly wowing. This may be getting off topic, but a general review of some of our spells may be in order with respect to balancing BlB against stuff and things. For SV, I find it fairly niche - the only time I really find myself using it is the rare incidence of being super beaten up but not yet dead but also not able to tend the wounds (either due to them being internals or due to missing hand[s]). When I have a net negative vitality situation going on, SV is alright. Otherwise, once stamina and FA hit a certain point, vit recovery and the ability to deal with bleeding becomes less of an issue. Some changes would have to be made to SV to make me want to use it more regularly. Alternating it with BlB for example sounds nice on paper, but I find each vit recovery pulse to be about or more than what I see from the BlB vit hit anyway, so would probably only use it for every 2 casts of BlB.

When you factor in the vit recovery items that everyone seems to own, the purpose here becomes a little less essential.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 08:01 AM CST
>My target is to hit roughly 5% of your vit at a discounted, level-approriate cast.
>re: Vitality hit as a balancing mechanism

With everyone running two or three of the PTW vit healing ear cuffs/necklaces, is a hit to vitality really even noticeable by the time you've targeted another cast? I suppose you could get unlucky and have all the items be on their respective cool downs at the same time but with the "speed" of combat3.0 isn't there plenty of time to make the balancing vitality hit effectively ignorable?

(Full disclosure: don't play a necromancer; don't think spells necessarily need drawbacks to be balanced)

~Hunter Hanryu
>I did not sit down and said "Screw the Rangers, I will cancel all development for them and bake cookies instead."~Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 08:36 AM CST
Vit recovery items are another discussion to be had, which I actually cannot have yet because it's a big topic and I won't discuss it or act on it as though I'm the sole actor there.

That said, people are both reporting around 7% vit loss and general happiness with that number, and I am also currently happy with that number. A third revision may come out before I set this in stone that makes the balance reduction a bit more sensible (I'm unhappy with the formula I came up with). This would not be a categorical nerf, but rather mapping it more tightly to your Potency.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 09:08 AM CST
I'd love to see BlB turned into a DoT that ramps up in damage as time goes on kind of like Splurt in original EQ. It'd be something we don't have, a unique twist on DoT mechanics that are really far and few between in DR, and a great way to get in a last final attempt to kill someone in PvP if they flee as they're close to death.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 09:56 AM CST
>>I'd love to see BlB turned into a DoT that ramps up in damage as time goes on kind of like Splurt in original EQ. It'd be something we don't have, a unique twist on DoT mechanics that are really far and few between in DR, and a great way to get in a last final attempt to kill someone in PvP if they flee as they're close to death.<<

Yes! This! I really appreciate the way BLB has been revisited but with all due respect the tweaks miss the mark. I get the original design. BLB was the necromancer RPG. You casted it at some detriment when you needed things to die RIGHT NOW. Nothing dies in that fashion anymore which is not necessarily a bad thing but the issue with BLB is it requires spell slots that give us little to nothing that we do not get with VIV or even ACS. It's a matter of messaging, and I guess that's okay if that's what people want. That said, the concept that BLB should be a limited use spell that can kill you for overusing it is a lopsided view that ignores the truth that it's not a super spell any longer. While I greatly appreciate the willingness to revisit the spell, I respectfully submit that a balance hit at the cost of a spell slot does noting to make me want to add it back into my spellbook.

I still cannot see what's so horrible about fixing BLB so that it rids us of disease and/or poison depending on mana used. Even placing the disease/poison benefit on a ten minute timer and making it cause DO, I'd pay three spell slots for that. It would enable us to deal with a mechanic we currently have no means to deal with and make the spell useful.

Your mind hears Kssarh thinking, "Hey, Atanamir. Quiet." There is a pause. "Ahh, much better."
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 10:03 AM CST
FWIW we're looking at making the disease/poison stuff a ritual instead of a spell. May or may not require a metaspell to activate the ability, depending on how we're feeling at the moment and how the formal proposal shakes out.

It'll just cost in... other ways.

The basic idea, though, is twofold.

1) We want to differentiate it from Empathic self-healing strongly. And keep Empathic healing a nicer, more efficient means of doing it.

2) We do not want to roll in disease/poison healing and disease/poison infliction into the same spell. I totally get the desire to do it and I think in particular dousing things with poison or acid is totally in the Necromancer wheelhouse (disease infliction would be more of a Life thing thematically), but both functions are worth their own abilities.

-Armifer
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 10:16 AM CST
Thank you for responding and for putting the thought in. I respect the design decisions on the double infliction and see why. I definitely don't want to step on the Empaths and don't expect anything nearly as effective. Devour is a good analogy there. The clarification definitely gives me a lot to smile about. To be fair about the whole thing, BLB in its new incarnation may be something some folks like. Not all spellbook/feat combinations should look the same. Different strokes and such.

Your mind hears Kssarh thinking, "Hey, Atanamir. Quiet." There is a pause. "Ahh, much better."
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 11:57 AM CST
>It'll just cost in... other ways.

Is it a good or bad thing that the above quote is what that gets me excited, not the prospect of a disease/poison cure?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:17 PM CST

> I don't think this is true. Hodierna's Lilt, Famine, and Bitter Feast are all pretty efficient ways of recovering Vitality, I'd say more or at least as efficient as SV.

Not to derail the conversation, but I disagree with this. Famine, maybe, but HL comes with cyclic restrictions (you won't be using this in a combat situation where vit matters), BF includes a stun (same combat problem), and both EF and BF costs you spirit which limits spamming.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:30 PM CST

>> I don't think this is true. Hodierna's Lilt, Famine, and Bitter Feast are all pretty efficient ways of recovering Vitality, I'd say more or at least as efficient as SV.

>Not to derail the conversation, but I disagree with this. Famine, maybe, but HL comes with cyclic restrictions (you won't be using this in a combat situation where vit matters), BF includes a stun (same combat problem), and both EF and BF costs you spirit which limits spamming.

If you're losing vitality in a fight, you aren't landing SV either - If I can hit something with TM, chances are pretty good it can't hit me back, or, at the very least, if it can hit me, I'm going to want to kill it first, instead of prolong the fight. SV, like BF really, is a 'I barely survived and now have run away and need this to not die'. The only times I use SV is when 'hunting' critters I'm using for corpse farming to heal. In terms of the spirit hit, Clerics are beyond flush with methods for keeping their spirit at full (Auspice, Vigil, and CHS). I've seen Clerics use BF in combat to restore lost vit AND mana, and I've seen Barbs running Famine. I have never once seen a Necro eek out a win because they were spamming SV. To be fair, I've never seen a Bard use Hodi in combat, and while the cyclic restriction is real, Hodi pulses seemed to scale better than SV. I've seen Bards absolutely full of holes survive because of Hodi.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:33 PM CST

>I've seen Bards absolutely full of holes survive because of Hodi.

Heh, of course, Clerics access to Hodierna's Commune makes their vit restoration even more hax, but now we're getting further afield. Blood staunching abilities are also scattered around a bit.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:35 PM CST

> In terms of the spirit hit, Clerics are beyond flush with methods for keeping their spirit at full (Auspice, Vigil, and CHS).

That's the point behind not spammable. BF = stun. EF = addiction. Both = spirit loss.

- Auspice buffs spirit regen, but you're still dealing with regen mechanics.
- Vigil only works on another target, and it'll nerf your auspice unless you keep it up on both targets.
- CHS is basically SV for the spirit.

You've also shown why necros are more effective at keeping their vitality up than clerics. Necro = SV. Cleric = CHS + EF/BF. SV >= CHS + EF/BF.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:40 PM CST

A Cleric can cast Auspice and use BF at will. They can also cast Vigil on the target they are conflicting with, use EF/BF to drain their own spirit, and rely on Auspice+Vigil to keep their own spirit up. Alternatively, they can cast CHS on their target to effectively 'SV for spirit', and continue spending spirit to keep their own vit up. There are also ways to mitigate the stun, and the stun is not particularly bad, especially when compared to the limitations of SV (chance to hit and target time).
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:42 PM CST
Last comment on this as I really don't want to derail the conversation.

> To be fair, I've never seen a Bard use Hodi in combat, and while the cyclic restriction is real, Hodi pulses seemed to scale better than SV. I've seen Bards absolutely full of holes survive because of Hodi.

Here's what you're giving up on the bard to use HODI: AOE TM x2, AOE debuff, ST immobilize, AOE calm, TM barrier, Anti-clairvoyance/spawn, and dark-room/perception buffs. Basically most of their spells designed to keep them from taking damage in the first place. HODI definitely has the place of stop-gap to finding an empath or recovering from a death. In the situation you described, it's not as effective as just healing the wounds in the first place, or spamming with big casts to regain a large chunk of vit immediately.
Re: Blood Burst Version Something.Something 11/29/2017 12:56 PM CST

>Here's what you're giving up on the bard to use HODI: AOE TM x2, AOE debuff, ST immobilize, AOE calm, TM barrier, Anti-clairvoyance/spawn, and dark-room/perception buffs

Yes, as I already said, use of Hodi would be a 'I barely survived this and having run now, I need to use this ability to survive'.

>In the situation you described, it's not as effective as just healing the wounds in the first place, or spamming with big casts to regain a large chunk of vit immediately.

Yes, it is, because again, A ) it seems to scale higher than SV does, B ) is a cyclic and thus a fire and forget not something you need to repeatedly spam, and C ) SV does not heal wounds either.

This is only off topic in the sense that Armifer suggested that SV is second only to Empaths in terms of ability to restore vitality. I do not believe that is true, in or out of combat.
Prev_page Previous 1