Prev_page Previous 1
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 03/29/2016 04:32 PM CDT
This is what I was personally hoping for. It's nice to see some of the 3-4 slotters knocked down to a more reasonable cost. The cost is primarily what's kept me from choosing Vivi and VS in particular. Also looking forward to playing with Blood Burst.

Great changes, thanks for the update!
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 03/29/2016 04:41 PM CDT
Nice, a net gain of three spell slots. I just need more spells to spend them on!

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 03/29/2016 08:51 PM CDT

>Nice, a net gain of three spell slots. I just need more spells to spend them on!

My thoughts too! Maybe there will be some spells specific to Risen?
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 03/29/2016 09:43 PM CDT
I am so excited about this. Gonna finally pick up some AP spells + maybe some more feats.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/06/2016 04:50 AM CDT
So I popped into test with a bunch of folks earlier/yesterday and messed with Heavy TM a bit.

BLB still feels anemic (heh). Especially when you hold it up next to TOTRS, which not only reduces the DO floor at which HE/HH affect a target but ignores their shield and armor -- which I realize isn't really a totally fair comparison, but did make me wish we had a comparably heavy hitter. We weren't noticing it doing significantly more damage to vitality upon a hit (Maybe ~5% more on average?) and while it was causing worse wounds on average (cuts and bruises vs scratches on roughly at-level targets) it still didn't really feel...oomphy? DB suffers from similar issues due to the lack of targeting, but has other things going for it (namely preloading) that arguably make up for it.

I think BLB could benefit from an additional secondary effect of some kind on top of the splash damage. Either direct vitality damage or some kind of ongoing DOT that continues to cause increasingly nasty wounds would both be nice. For its costs, the spell should be very dangerous if it lands, and right now it's just...not. Yeah, it's better than an equal-mana ACS, but not enough to justify extra spell slots and a not-small vitality hit and a DO hit.

The rest of the changes are very solid, however. I'm really pleased with how the adjustments to mana are shaking out with the attunement changes. The changes to AoEs has given USOL (already an impressive spell) a lot more oomph from my brief testing as well. I still need to mess with it more but overall I'm pretty happy with how things are moving along.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/06/2016 12:07 PM CDT
>>I think BLB could benefit from an additional secondary effect of some kind on top of the splash damage. Either direct vitality damage or some kind of ongoing DOT that continues to cause increasingly nasty wounds would both be nice. For its costs, the spell should be very dangerous if it lands, and right now it's just...not. Yeah, it's better than an equal-mana ACS, but not enough to justify extra spell slots and a not-small vitality hit and a DO hit.

I suggested a napatha-like burning effect for DB over in the WM forum once that was converted to Heavy (and possibly needing a bit "more"), and Raesh mentioned that it's something worth considering but the mechanics can't do it yet.

I'd love to see the "splatter" effect of BLB to move from a damaging additional locations to applying a similar kind of burning effect. Making flaming death blood actually cause a burning effect would be awesome.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/07/2016 05:02 AM CDT
With all the changes and tweaks to magic is it possible to reconsider the min prep on Vivi and USOL? Vivi has gone from 18 to 20, and USOL remains at 15 mana. USOL I can sort of understand, it is very potent however Vivi's min prep seems more then a little high.

I recall some concern about Vivi being used 'too much' in the past and it was tweaked UP to 18 to make it a less used tool. However it adds an artificial limitation to our snipe that neither of the other forms of snipe have to consider.

Thank you,

Condran
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/07/2016 11:34 AM CDT
I thought Vivi dropped? USOL was at 6 when I last checked in Test the other day. Did it get changed again?

>> However it adds an artificial limitation to our snipe that neither of the other forms of snipe have to consider.

100% agree with this and always have. It's very frustrating to have an inferior form of the same tool.

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/07/2016 12:23 PM CDT
> It's very frustrating to have an inferior form of the same tool.

Kind of like having inferior ranks since we don't have a bonus.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/07/2016 03:46 PM CDT

Doesn't than provide the similar to hit bonus?

In any case, vivi should be made more accessible, since it is very thematically key to the guild. Maybe some additional magical snipe options would be cool! But yeah, I love vivi.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/08/2016 12:17 PM CDT
I've always been an advocate of having increased spell power with higher DO. It would make an interesting and very necro-esque bonus.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/10/2016 07:54 PM CDT
I think the cooldown on Heavy TM may not be applying to creatures casting it. I think Blood Burst is the spell that bone wyverns use, and they're able to cast it quite rapidly.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/10/2016 08:01 PM CDT
Hmm. I'll look into it - it should apply to creatures but I didn't know we had a handy test subject and creature casting is super weird.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/10/2016 09:54 PM CDT
>>Hmm. I'll look into it - it should apply to creatures but I didn't know we had a handy test subject and creature casting is super weird.

I think Isundjen Conjurers also cast BLB.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/11/2016 12:15 AM CDT
Shylvics too. Maybe blood wraiths, I don't remember.

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/11/2016 07:34 AM CDT
Huh. I legitimately did not know it was such a popular creature spell.

Anyhow, the cool down is suppose to apply (I coded that) but now that I think about it I'm certain I didn't code the actual AI to know what to do with the cool down.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/12/2016 01:41 AM CDT

>Anyhow, the cool down is suppose to apply (I coded that) but now that I think about it I'm certain I didn't code the actual AI to know what to do with the cool down.

Raesh, you can't trick us, we all know how you love to see us squirm as we fall over dead.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 06:34 PM CDT
Messed with BLB a bunch today. Went up to orc raiders since those are pretty comfortably even-to-below level for me, they have no weird resistances that I know of, and I don't feel like messing with mountain giants. TM is 366 in Test and I didn't buff. I used 30 mana casts for both ACS and BLB. Fully targeted, all that jazz.

Using just ACS it took about 4 casts at that amount of mana to kill a raider most of the time. The first cast consistently wounded whatever it hit to "cuts and bruises."

I experimented with two ways of using BLB: as the first hit followed up by ACS casts until dead, and as a second hit after "softening" it with ACS once, in hopes that reducing its vitality a bit would make BLB have more "oomph."

In tests where I used BLB first and continued with ACS, it usually but not always reduced the amount of casts I needed to drop the mob down to 3. There was a 50/50 shot during testing of whatever body part I primarily hit reaching bleeder status, the rest of the time it also stopped at cuts and bruises.

In tests where I used a single cast of ACS before casting BLB, it would always give a bleeder, but the number of casts-to-kill did not drop on average and still hovered at 3.

Based on these tests, I'm still finding BLB extremely underwhelming, especially when held up against where everyone else's Heavy TM is ending up.

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 06:52 PM CDT
>Based on these tests, I'm still finding BLB extremely underwhelming, especially when held up against where everyone else's Heavy TM is ending up.

Why?

I understand being disappointed with Heavy TM in general (still mulling on that one) and BLB due to the extra costs and vestigial splash mechanic but the only real comparison, performance wise, it has right now are all very non-standard spells. Dragon's Breath would be the best straight up comparison.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 06:58 PM CDT
What about Beckon the Naga makes it a bad comparison? I understand why TOTRS would be, but I suppose I'm confused about why BLB can't perform even remotely close to that one on a single mob. DB also suffers penalties from being nontargeted and has a lot of other nonstandard mechanics, so if your objection is that those spells use nonstandard mechanics, why would DB somehow be a better comparison? Because it's intrinsically weaker?

But even that aside, I'm disappointed because it is frankly barely outperforming standard TM spells even now. Even if the extra costs weren't a thing, why would I ever want this spell? Please tell me.

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 08:15 PM CDT
>What about Beckon the Naga makes it a bad comparison?

The fact that, aside from using the Heavy TM timer, it shares no mechanics with Heavy TM. (BTN also just hit test and will likely need additional tuning.)

>DB also suffers penalties from being nontargeted and has a lot of other nonstandard mechanics,

While this is true the code is largely shared. We're talking about a 90% match. (We are trying to move to a unified mechanic for pulse spells, but not in 3.2, that should standardize some of this behavior.). There's simply are no other 'simple' Heavy TM spells yet since Moon Mages still lack one and Flashfreeze hadn't been written yet.

>But even that aside, I'm disappointed because it is frankly barely outperforming standard TM spells even now.

That's a completely fair stance, but that's true of all Heavy TM, not just BLB. I was trying to separate the feedback between the two topics.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 08:35 PM CDT
Speaking from a player perspective, when I look at performance, I'm basically looking at "how fast is this killing things, how hard is it hitting, how many times am I needing to cast to drop something." From that perspective, BTN is shredding stuff in a single cast of the spell and frequently lasts long enough to hit other stuff too. Setting aside the latter, that's still very impressive performance even if it's due a downtweak. TOTRS has comparable performance for other reasons, and while I do not expect BLB to ape TOTRS by any means, I do wish we had a comparable nuke in our arsenal.

We aren't really being given any indication of how heavy Heavy TM is supposed to be. You're saying BLB has the same problems as "all Heavy TM" but so far "all Heavy TM" apparently only means one of the four Heavy TM spells presently in Test for reasons. I hope that helps communicate why I am confused.

Part of it is also lack of communication about expectations. If it's a nuke, should I be one-shotting things I outclass with it? How much damage should this be doing against something I am at-level with, or slightly outleveling? What am I actually looking for? What am I supposed to provide feedback on? I'm apparently not giving good data, but I honestly don't know what data is needed at this point.

If BLB is still inferior because it's lacking in some special mechanic to make it good, then please add a special mechanic to it by all means. I would love to have a genuinely frightening spell at my disposal. I frankly do want an Unholy Harm Evil; I want people I'm PvPing with to do anything they can to avoid it.

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 08:57 PM CDT
>>Speaking from a player perspective, when I look at performance, I'm basically looking at "how fast is this killing things, how hard is it hitting, how many times am I needing to cast to drop something." From that perspective, BTN is shredding stuff in a single cast of the spell and frequently lasts long enough to hit other stuff too. Setting aside the latter, that's still very impressive performance even if it's due a downtweak.

From a development side the work needed to balance one has very little to do with the work needed to balance the other - therefor feedback on one isn't terribly useful when trying to balance the other.

>>TOTRS has comparable performance for other reasons, and while I do not expect BLB to ape TOTRS by any means, I do wish we had a comparable nuke in our arsenal.

Harm Evil/Horde are extremely specialized killing spells. I don't see a future where other classes get anything comparable, at least not that would ever be castable on a player. That was true before TOTRS and it's true after.

>>We aren't really being given any indication of how heavy Heavy TM is supposed to be. You're saying BLB has the same problems as "all Heavy TM" but so far "all Heavy TM" apparently only means one of the four Heavy TM spells presently in Test for reasons. I hope that helps communicate why I am confused.

That's because we're still trying to find it's niche, that's part of the ongoing conversation and is complicated by mechanical limits we're having to work within - what we'd like to do in some cases just may not be possible (or ultimately wise) in DR. My intention was for Flashfreeze to be the best Heavy TM spell developed and use it and BLB in tandem to balance the core mechanics but Grejuva had some great ideas that I certainly wasn't going to stand in his way of developing. The downside is that most of the 'Heavy TM' spells we have right now aren't very useful as far as producing feedback on the core mechanics.

>>If it's a nuke, should I be one-shotting things I outclass with it?

Due to how the core mechanics work for damage? Not generally, but it's possible (With with any other attack on something you way outclass).

>>How much damage should this be doing against something I am at-level with, or slightly outleveling? What am I actually looking for? What am I supposed to provide feedback on? I'm apparently not giving good data, but I honestly don't know what data is needed at this point.

I didn't say your data was poor, it's helpful. I was simply seeking clarification. I'm always looking for any feedback. With Heavy TM spells the most important feedback, right now, boils down to "Is this a spell you'd find useful and why/why not?".

>>If BLB is still inferior because it's lacking in some special mechanic to make it good, then please add a special mechanic to it by all means. I would love to have a genuinely frightening spell at my disposal.

I have said since we started this project (And it's in the changelog as well) that the splash mechanic hasn't been changed and we're not happy with it - but that's not central to balancing Heavy TM, and we have to get the balance there right before we can iterate off it. In a perfect world BLB would not have been the spell we started Heavy TM testing on (Due to the drawback mechanics it has) - it just happened to be the lowest hanging fruit to start testing with.

>>I frankly do want an Unholy Harm Evil; I want people I'm PvPing with to do anything they can to avoid it.

That's not going to happen.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 09:23 PM CDT
In my latest tests FWIW I wasn't even thinking about the vitality hit. I know that can be balanced elsewhere, be it with splash or whatever else. That's why I only talked about raw firepower on the body part struck, disregarding splash damage, directly compared to equal-mana ACS casts in my testing.

I did keep a record of the actual damage I was observing as well. The absolute worst I got was "deep slashes" and that was on one of the tests where I cast ACS then followed up with BLB; it did not hit the same part, so that damage was purely from BLB, though the vit hit from the preceeding ACS probably helped a lot. The rest were mostly deep cuts, with one case of cuts and bruises. ACS as mentioned reached cuts and bruises on the first cast every time.

It'd help a lot if I had a PC to test with, but f2p can't log into test and I haven't had luck getting anyone to come test with me. :\

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/15/2016 10:30 PM CDT
<<It'd help a lot if I had a PC to test with, but f2p can't log into test and I haven't had luck getting anyone to come test with me. :\

Yes they can, assuming they existed before the last copy from prime to test. If you're trying to create a new character/testdummy to test on, then you're right that's not possible.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 07:42 AM CDT

It'd be helpful to know what exactly the goal is for BLB, I think that's what people are getting at.

Heavy TM, and the game lore surrounding BLB, make it sound like something everyone is disgusted by, fears, and even cause a certain amount of God anger (but I understand that last is changing).

I think people (including myself) were seeing the goal as a cannon spell you fire once, ton of damage, then recharge. It sounds like what GMs are looking at is more a souped up acid splash that can be chain casted (since DO is being taken out of it and it doesn't do a ton of damage). So at a certain point BLB rather than ACS would be the Necro go-to targeted spell.

Also side question about Harm Evil- does lay ward or worms mist protect from it?
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 08:00 AM CDT
The goal of BLB historically and the goal of Heavy TM currently are not perfectly aligned, which is why we're discussing the future of the splash effect and its disadvantage.

Let's rewind way the heck back to Magic 2 and the Necromancers' original toolbox. The purpose of BLB was to give you a 4th tier TM spell you couldn't chain-cast, because we wanted you to rely on your pets instead for strong damage output. Your bread and butter spell was 2nd tier, a marked decrease from other guilds that rely on TM. Then Magic 3 happened and the TM paradigm was overturned, leaving BLB in the lackluster position most of you know it for.

Heavy TM in a lot of ways reintroduces the concept that BLB was originally trying to fill, but right now BLB double-downs on it (still with the vit hit) and there's a good question of what, exactly, that should be worth on the offensive end of the spell.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 08:13 AM CDT

But I think given what we're seeing from other Heavy TM, it's hard to tell exactly what we should be seeing. BTN summons a powerful critter that does multiple hits and seems by all reports to be quite powerful. DB stores charges (I think, right?). The Cleric variant procs randomly. BLB requires you cast it when it's off CD, and presently doesn't really appear to be that 'Heavy'.

So what is 'heavy', and what is the standard template?
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 08:23 AM CDT
It might be useful to have an Analagous Patterns Heavy TM spell solely in Test, one with no quirks other than those relating to the Heavy TM template, as a tool against which to evaluate the other spells. The generic spell would allow us to give better feedback on Heavy TM as a concept, and our specific Heavy TM spells relative to that baseline.

Mazrian
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 11:14 AM CDT
Aside from the vit hit and the splash damage BLB is a generic heavy TM spell right now.

Dragon's Breath is (quibbles of pulse spells aside) a standard heavy TM spell but the cool down is enforced between spits, not per cast.

Beckon The Naga has nothing to do with Heavy TM aside from sharing a cool down and attempting to fill a similar niche in the spellbook.

Time of the Red Spiral uses the same timer to convert your HE/HH to the heavy TM template. However, given the benefits HE/HH already see (Most notably, ignoring armor entirely) these aren't a good baseline to use.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 01:46 PM CDT
I know I mentioned this with DB in particular, but I like the idea of BLB's splash damage not being a +1 hit and more being a "firey blood hit you now you're on fire ahhh hahahahaha"

So DB will provide a high concentration lit naphtha effect where the target got struck while BLB will provide a few low concentration lit naphtha effects on the target.

This would give DB the advantage of being able to burn through a specific body part quickly (unless the fire effect is attended to) while BLB's advantage will be more the vit loss caused by multiple fire effects (unless attended to).

Definitely aware this can't be done yet, but it's where I could see BLB (and DB!) having some unique heavy-TM-worthy mechanics.

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 01:55 PM CDT

>Beckon The Naga has nothing to do with Heavy TM aside from sharing a cool down and attempting to fill a similar niche in the spellbook.

I'm not trying to be glib, but isn't that 'similar niche' just 'Heavy TM'?

>Dragon's Breath is (quibbles of pulse spells aside) a standard heavy TM spell but the cool down is enforced between spits, not per cast.

Ok, so, DB spits should be comparable to BLB then right? What are Warmies saying about it?
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 02:04 PM CDT
I'm super in favor of some kind of ongoing DoT, be it literal burning or just chipping away at someone's vitality in chunks.

>> It might be useful to have an Analagous Patterns Heavy TM spell solely in Test, one with no quirks other than those relating to the Heavy TM template, as a tool against which to evaluate the other spells. The generic spell would allow us to give better feedback on Heavy TM as a concept, and our specific Heavy TM spells relative to that baseline.

I agree with this. Bring back Energy Bolt! Heh.

Thayet

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 02:55 PM CDT
>>Ok, so, DB spits should be comparable to BLB then right? What are Warmies saying about it?

Hard to say. WMs can't cast BLB.

Mazrian
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 04:03 PM CDT
And DB?
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 06:25 PM CDT
>I'm not trying to be glib, but isn't that 'similar niche' just 'Heavy TM'?

In the same way that a dagger and a heavy xbow are the same thing: they're both items that let you exchange RT for damage output.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 06:36 PM CDT

But BTN was described as 'heavy TM'? Is it not 'heavy TM', but rather, 'a unique sort of TM sort of like a short duration QE' instead?
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 06:45 PM CDT
BTN seems to be a short duration summon that has a parry-negating physical attacks, which makes its attacks function more like spells but still not actually a spell and consequently not using a TM template at all, heavy or otherwise.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 07:00 PM CDT
>>But BTN was described as 'heavy TM'? Is it not 'heavy TM', but rather, 'a unique sort of TM sort of like a short duration QE' instead?

It uses the Heavy TM timer and is a spell. There ends the similarity between BTN and other Heavy TM spells.

The description of it as a shortly lived QE isn't far off mechanically.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Necromancer Spells 04/17/2016 07:06 PM CDT
<<But BTN was described as 'heavy TM'?

It was actually described as "a Heavy TM equivalent."
Prev_page Previous 1