Prev_page Previous 1
Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 05:36 PM CDT
Ok, so my moonie is to the point where it's time to start thinking about joining a sect and I need some help choosing. It's a big decision because it's one which is irreversible so I don't want to screw it up and have regrets later. After doing my own research about each group, I've narrowed it down to the Monks, Nomads, and Progeny. Those 3 seem to be the ones I'm most interested in.

My questions are, how did you pick yours? Are you happy with your decision and why? What resources did you use?

-Nasty
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 06:47 PM CDT
My first prime moon mage went fortune's path. It was the obvious fit for a "gypsie" moon mage that prided himself in frequent travel, exploration, and a bit of whimsy.

My Fallen moon mage went celestial compact for the constellation outside of season, boy was I disappointed when I realized I couldn't use it for enchanting; although the other ability is nice in a pinch. The spell affinity is a nice one to have as well.

If I could do it over, in the fallen, I'd probably choose the heritage house. Nomads or Tezireh would be 2nd and third choice. Erasing a negative prediction, silent and stunless teleports, and always knowing what I'm using for TKT is nice.

If I did it in prime or plat, definitely the fortune's path. The sect has the right feel, with just the perfect tinge of chaos, for my RP'd characters. The cantrips rock, and I like the prediction tool.

TL;DR: Fortune's path!
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 06:54 PM CDT
>If I could do it over, in the fallen, I'd probably choose the heritage house.

If you're still playing that character, you can join Heritage House. They allow other sects to join.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 06:59 PM CDT
>> If you're still playing that character, you can join Heritage House. They allow other sects to join.

Well that's interesting. Thanks for the tip!
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 07:01 PM CDT
I thought to myself "what sect likes killing stuff?" so I chose the barbarian sect.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 07:41 PM CDT
<<My questions are, how did you pick yours?>>

I haven't yet, but I am thinking about the same question for my little moonie.

As for divination tools, for me fortune telling with cards is just a classic. I like it. But I also like the idea of casting sticks and bones and stones. It's very primal, almost pleistocene with ancient shamans and all that jazz. But the scientific approach, which is completely opposite, appeals to me just as much. Calculations, mathematics, charts and graphs, equations, etc. So celestial charts are on the list. I can't escape the feel that cards and bones reveal your future whereas calculations can help shape it as well. That's my lore, not necessarily DR lore.

As for sect lore, Fortune's Path lore doesn't grab me since I don't think of my moon as a gambler or drunkard or gypsy wanderer or any of that. It's not critical that your sect matches your character's lore, but it would be nice since the sects have been so detailed out. I could go Nomad for the cryptic wise person who seems from a lost age or the scholarly planner and deep thinker and investigator route for Compact. Actually if I let Kaxis bleed over I could easily jump into another stealthy/shadowy character with Tezirah.

<<What resources did you use?>>

Still thinking it over, but my first step will be to nail down my character's personal lore. That will be my biggest guiding light.

Kaxis

>You tap a large jar with a stained label depicting a skull and crossbones.
>In the large jar you see some toad oil, some moda tongue oil, some dolomar oil, some moruryn oil, some westanuryn oil and some viper sac oil.
>You exclaim, "Collect all six!"
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 09:00 PM CDT
Think of your characters backstory, and most importantly, their personality. Don't join because of the moon waffles, join because the vibe of the sect.

For Kand, it was between the Nomads and the Gypsies. Nomads made the most sense.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 09:20 PM CDT
I'm torn because I like some things about each one but not the total package. I think I see where you guys are coming from with the Fortune's Path and the whole drunk gambler thing but being a gypsie doesn't do anything for me at all.

I like the feel of the Progeny shadow mage the best but yawn at doing predictions with mirrors. As far as prediction tools go, I like the sapphire prisms and divination bones the best. Which leads me to my next question. Can I be a member of the Progeny and use nothing but bones and prisms? Or is that like fighting an uphill battle for the rest of my character's existance? What kind of bonus/negative will I get from using/not using my sects tool of choice?

Also, I'd like to get more clarification on what it means to be a "monk" or "nomad" to see if those might possibly appeal to me as much.

-Nasty
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 09:32 PM CDT
We need more G'Nar Pethians. Be one of those.

-Coralin
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 09:59 PM CDT
I don't recall there being any actual bonus or negative to using a prediction tool that is "outside" your sect. Each has a couple RP verbs that are different if you're the right sect, but that's it as far as I know. The big thing about prediction tools is that each different one has it's strength and weaknesses as far as how it will effect your predictions.

I was always a big fan of the Progeny; it's what my Prime MM was. Aside from really liking the lore and shadowy rebellious feel of the sect, the abilities are also very useful, both for utility and RP. Silent, stunless teleport, improved moonblade, and a fun little herald.

As far as the difference between monks and nomads:

from A Brief History of the Guild of Moon Magic by Kssarh T'kinnirii, Apprentice to Guildmaster Tiv
The Monks of the Crystal Hand said little, letting their deeds carry the message. A band of ascetic warriors from the far west, these meditative souls had honed their mysticism to a razor's edge, able to conceal their movements in cloaks of shadows at will and disarm a foe with a single thought. They pledged themselves to build the Guild as they did all things: with purity, honor, and deadly efficiency, all attuned with the orbits of the moons.

Nomads of the Arid Steppe, the Skindancers were potent shamans who employed spirit invocation, myth and trances born of both ecstasy and pain to enter the netherworld and touch the future. They were well-known for developing the use of enchanted bones -- often stripped from the body of a fallen enemy -- to aid in divination.

In my mind, they have a similar "style", being that they both bring a touch of spirituality to Lunar Magic, but have opposite approaches to it, with monks being calm and focused and nomads being wild and natural.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/08/2012 10:03 PM CDT
<<I don't recall there being any actual bonus or negative to using a prediction tool that is "outside" your sect.>>

This is interesting. I had been told there was like a 20% bonus to using tools matching your sect. But I'm not experienced enough a moonie to know which is correct.

Kaxis

>In the large jar you see some toad oil, some moda tongue oil, some dolomar oil, some moruryn oil, some westanuryn oil and some viper sac oil.

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 01:12 AM CDT
I'm experimenting with all of them, with various character backstories attached, albeit they're all lower circle so far. They all have much depth to them, that's one thing about the Moon mage guild, it is very well written with depth in the background, so it is very easy to find your own niche. I highly recommend going to the MM library and exploring the different options, choose it for a reason that makes sense to your character, not just for the cantrips.

Backstories on 3 of mine for example:

1. Rakash. Came over with the original migration when very young. Moon mage guild choice to better understand the phases of Katamba that influenced her. Wanted revenge on Lyras, and to combat Necromancy - the moon mages of Tezirah gave her the knowledge she needed to fight them, with whatever means necessary.

2. S'kra from an old family of moonmages & bards from Leth Deriel. Fancies himself a bone-dancer. Nomad of course.

3. Dwarf with a devotion to discipline, hard work, from a very old family of miners originally displaced from the highhold that settled in Stone clan. Family were miners, but she wanted to see the stars as well. To know the future, when things would happen, and to be prepared.

<<as I firmly believe that upstanding citizens have the inalienable right to strike down musicians whenever possible.>>
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 01:16 AM CDT
I spent over a year agonizing between Celestial Compact , Fortune's Path, and Nomads of the Arid Steppes. Distantly in fourth place was the Monks. The rest were right out, discarded with a moment's thought. Finally went with Celestial Compact.

Monks were pretty easy to cull, the only thing I really liked about them is their sect tool.

Factors favoring the Nomads were the fact that, well, they sounded the most primitive and shamanistic. My MM is a Prydaen. Aside from the shamanistic theme, didn't really have any other points favoring them. Don't like divination bones from a flavor standpoint, perhaps a drum and focused meditation would be better.

Between the Compact and the Gypsies was a harder choice. Gypsies have sect affinity for 2 of my favorite spells, and I like their cantrips. Also have the neatest sect tool. But I just don't see my mage as being the gambling wayward sort of gypsy.

The winner though, was Celestial Compact because my favorite tool are charts. That's just how I see predictions being done, by mathmatical calculations of the positions of the stars. Also a major fact was that Celestians have an affinity with "light based spells", and one of my favorite spells is Clarify Gem, which is going away, which is described as using light to fix defects in gems.

Ironically, I really don't use tools all that much in day to day training, except sapphire prisms.

My favorite tools, from a thematic point, are the charts, followed by the divination bowls (but couldn't stand RPing a Pethian), the prisms, and the cards.

Basically it was long hours of me thinking about "What do I feel is the most correct way to divine the future?" and "What does a precognitive seer look and act like?", and then I backed up with reading my other non-DR fantasy literature for my favorite seer characters. One book has a character who uses pools of water, one is about fantastical shamans who use parallel alternate timelines and basically "look for a future fairly close to this one to compare, since you can't look in the future of your own timeline without disturbing it", and so on.

Wouldn't say I'm happy with my choice, but I don't regret it either. It just is.

Lyzalian Farscribe

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 02:33 AM CDT
I've also agonized over this decision for ages. Still unsected. I will probably choose the G'Nar Pethians a little bit down the line.

Basically, when I started my character, she seemed like a sure fit for the Nomads, as she's sort of a winter tribal warrior type. But she's also... extremely strange. She speaks strangely. She views the unfolding of time like the tiny unpredictable eddies in water that combine into large, stable patterns. The bowl of water just ended up seeming like the best tool for her, and through RP with Pethians I discovered that they share a lot of the same philosophy with her too.

It also helped that the Pethians have cantrips that appeal to me. I'm a prediction nut and would love to be able to study more during the day. I tend to long for winter, when the nights are long, and make full use of studying daytime planets. I'm just predicting ALL the time.

In short, my choice was mostly RP driven, but with a small eye toward cantrips that appealed to me. Also, being unsected for so long taught me that you really won't suffer from not choosing, or choosing one and using the tool of another (although this might be worse than if you're an unsected using the wrong tool). I can say that my training tools get driven into a very poor state, but the tools I keep for important predictions are easy enough to keep in good condition. And no matter what I seem to get very good predictions, on the whole.

Finally, this reminds me. I wonder if spell affinities will change with X3.0? Or... if anything else will change for sects?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:04 AM CDT
Just to clarify a few things about sects, unfortunately a lot of people misinterpret sect histories a lot.

>>I could go Nomad for the cryptic wise person who seems from a lost age...

Just saying, that if your going to go that route your a lot better off going G'nar Pethians. Don't even have to gouge your eyes out, thats not something the sect as a whole does in fact its actually looked down upon if its done without achieving enlightenment(I.E. 90% of the pethians were doing it wrong back in the day, for much lulz on my part). Ironically their also probably one of the best for TF too if you just want to shrug RP off.

>>the scholarly planner and deep thinker and investigator route for Compact.

For that matter this falls under Pethians as well, though its shared among several different sects.

>>I was always a big fan of the Progeny; it's what my Prime MM was. Aside from really liking the lore and shadowy rebellious feel of the sect, the abilities are also very useful, both for utility and RP. Silent, stunless teleport, improved moonblade, and a fun little herald.

You'd be doing the Progeny a great disservice if you decided to play them as rebellious. They are the least rebellious of the sects. They hold some of the greatest political power within the moon mage guild. Rivalling that of the compact. Yet while the compact has several seats the Progeny only has one seat and it has all that much power. This seat is also uncontested. It belongs to the Crowthers and the next person who takes it will be another Crowther. There is no descent, to all but those who speculate on the skeletons in the closet they are the upmost and upright Citizens of a province. Untold amount of money is spent renovating and maintaining Ilithi's beauty by the sect.

The Progeny doesn't stick it to the man, The Progeny is the man, or at least the one pulling his strings.

>>2. S'kra from an old family of moonmages & bards from Leth Deriel. Fancies himself a bone-dancer. Nomad of course.

No one fancies themselves a bonedancer, if you do, your doing it extremely wrong. Bonedancers aren't moon mages, they can't be moon mages. They are completely cut off from the plane of probability, corrupted beyond reason, and utterly insane. If you want to fancy yourself a bonedancer go rollup a necromancer you'll be closer to home.

>>In short, my choice was mostly RP driven, but with a small eye toward cantrips that appealed to me. Also, being unsected for so long taught me that you really won't suffer from not choosing, or choosing one and using the tool of another (although this might be worse than if you're an unsected using the wrong tool). I can say that my training tools get driven into a very poor state, but the tools I keep for important predictions are easy enough to keep in good condition. And no matter what I seem to get very good predictions, on the whole.

>>Finally, this reminds me. I wonder if spell affinities will change with X3.0? Or... if anything else will change for sects?

Yep, doesn't really matter what sect your in. While they have choices its all relevant to how you want to play your character. Unfortunately a great deal of people don't RP their sects right and teach others not to do it right. This isn't so much the case anymore but it was how things were many years ago.

As far as sect affinities the only one that might get changed is Tezirah's Veil, but as far as I know theres no plan to change any of the affinities.

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:07 AM CDT
<<I wonder if spell affinities will change with X3.0? Or... if anything else will change for sects?>>

there have been some GM hints to that effect, as some spells are going away in 3.0, and others are being added.

Requirements for titles will definately have to be changed, i.e. Fortune's path won't be based on escaping since escaping is going away as a skill.

<<as I firmly believe that upstanding citizens have the inalienable right to strike down musicians whenever possible.>>
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:07 AM CDT
>>Or... if anything else will change for sects?

Theoretically Sects are due for a rewrite at some point (Though how much of that will be cosmetic vs backend remains to be seen) but it's by no means a 3.0 project. It's just something I'd like to do with the foundation that Bardic Heritages are going to be based on (Since that's a core system other guilds can tie into).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:19 AM CDT
<<Bonedancers aren't moon mages, they can't be moon mages. They are completely cut off from the plane of probability, corrupted beyond reason>>

dependent upon whether you follow the teachings of the first Kir or the second... or whether they were the same...

And who says you can't play an insane moonmage character? <G> Kssarh does it quite well...and he's of the compact. :-)

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:26 AM CDT

>>dependent upon whether you follow the teachings of the first Kir or the second... or whether they were the same...

>>And who says you can't play an insane moonmage character? <G> Kssarh does it quite well...and he's of the compact. :-)

You fail Nomad history, Teachings of the First Kir are Skin Dancers, Teaching of the Second are bone dancers.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:44 AM CDT
<<dependent upon whether you follow the teachings of the first Kir or the second... or whether they were the same...

As has been pointed out, this is incorrect.

<<And who says you can't play an insane moonmage character? <G> Kssarh does it quite well...and he's of the compact. :-)

Kssarh isn't insane. Everything he does has a basis in logic. It's not his fault you can't follow his math.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 05:54 AM CDT
<<Bonedancers aren't moon mages, they can't be moon mages. They are completely cut off from the plane of probability, corrupted beyond reason>>

Actually, this is incorrect according to Armifer. He posted as follows <I can't find it in the forums, but its in Elanthepedia under Bonedancers and Boneelves> ... all hail elanthipedia...

>>I am at least pleased to see that you're discussing the Tribe as a faction of the Nomad Sect, rather than as an extension of the [fabled/hypothetical] Necromancers Guild (as I have often dreaded would happen).

Oooh, yes, that I can be clear on.

The Bonedancers are a part of the Nomads of the Arid Steppe's lore. Calling them Necromancers just because they have a corpse fetish is sort of like calling the Sophisters Warrior Mages just because they like kung-fu.

On the flip side, I'll put a strong emphasis that the true Bonedancers are not Necromancers, and will not have access to anything in that "sphere." They don't raise corpses or have a special knack for Necromancy. They are Moon Mages.

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 06:10 AM CDT

>>On the flip side, I'll put a strong emphasis that the true Bonedancers are not Necromancers, and will not have access to anything in that "sphere." They don't raise corpses or have a special knack for Necromancy. They are Moon Mages.

Just confusion on my part than, since the only "Bonedancer" I've ever met, and the player base at large has met is Lssarhhtha. Apparently he's not but if you ever spoke to him he firmly believes to be one.

"That one I can't help you with. No matter what he chooses to call himself, the spirits of the steppe and the Plane of Probability have abandoned him. Wherever he walks now, he does so in darkness. Even Bonedancers, as depraved as they are, still have heights they can fall from. To lose what Lasarhhtha lost is profane even to them. "

But I'd like to reiterate that Bonedancers aren't part of the Tribe as a whole and noone in the Nomads of Arid Steppe respect them. They are outcasts.

Cherulisa says, "Not a tribe, not a people. The Bonedancers are madmen who make a mockery of our culture and the peace of Kir. Stay well away from them if you value your sanity and your life."

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 06:44 AM CDT
>> You'd be doing the Progeny a great disservice if you decided to play them as rebellious. They are the least rebellious of the sects.

I guess I should clarify. I played my Prime MM during the Mirror Wraith Prophecy events, and Tezirah wasn't exactly everyone's favorite person during those times. That's where I was coming from with that statement. You are correct, they are very political and high society.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 07:05 AM CDT
>>Kssarh isn't insane. Everything he does has a basis in logic. It's not his fault you can't follow his math.

Moon Mages aren't insane, even the most advanced Pethian. Roleplaying one insane isn't bad RP, though, but they are not truly insane.

A Moon Mages mind is a link to a world where pure thought and emotion rule. This tends to twist the perspective of a moon mage. Its not that their insane, they are simply following a logic that most people cannot understand.

Kssarh is a bad example in general since nothing he does is really insane. He's just aggressive and short-tempered and this is not a sign of insanity. Actually in a medieval setting a lot of his actions are pretty par for the course for a ruler.

Throwing someone out of a window in this day and age seems like something only a sociopath would do, but I can assure you it was quite common and acceptable response. Mostly.

>>I guess I should clarify. I played my Prime MM during the Mirror Wraith Prophecy events, and Tezirah wasn't exactly everyone's favorite person during those times. That's where I was coming from with that statement. You are correct, they are very political and high society.

That makes a lot more sense, but I'll also note(not to you just in general) that members of the Progeny of Tezirah actually don't follow Tezirah and know full well that she's evil but will deny it to their last breath.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 07:24 AM CDT
>>Theoretically Sects are due for a rewrite at some point (Though how much of that will be cosmetic vs backend remains to be seen) but it's by no means a 3.0 project.

Neat. Is there going to be a sect wipe at that time? Because if not I may irrationally hold on to my unsected status.

>>It's just something I'd like to do with the foundation that Bardic Heritages are going to be based on (Since that's a core system other guilds can tie into).

Awesome. From what I've read about the Heritages, it seems like a great system to use for sects.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 09:11 AM CDT
I should point out that within the Nomads there are also a handful of subsects you can join (which has no affect on anything AFAIK).

Basically, I view the Nomads as also seeing Fate and Probability in the land, both presently and historically. We see the weathering of the mountains and the migration of herds as additional portents. The Nomads find strength in their connection to their surroundings, and surround themselves with perpetual change by seeing it all.

Just read the Elanthipedia entries on the sects and get a better feel for what speaks most to you. I liked the idea of being a warrior ascetic, but the monks didn't appeal to me at all when reading up on their affection for silence. I liked the idea of the roving vagabond with a sly grin and a mischievous heart, but felt the internal trickery and politicking wasn't for my character. The G'nar Pethians appealed for their emphasis on Enlightenment and self-reflection, but I had just graduated from a college program chock full of hippies and had had enough of sacred geometry and chakra alignment.

So just figure out what fits best for your characters personality, what jives most with your sensibilities. And talk to the sect leaders and ask them about the sect.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 01:09 PM CDT
FAR too early to say at this point.

That'll likely depend on to what degree they change. If you ask me today (And you are) I'd say the most likely answer would be a one time chance to change to any other sect -- but if down the road we decide otherwise and this quote comes back to haunt me I swear, you'll wish it was only Kssarh after you.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 04:48 PM CDT
>> Raesh

Can you comment on whether Sects affect predictions?

Also, can you comment on why bones are the only tool that can turn a negative prediction positive?
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 06:30 PM CDT
I read the elanthipedia page a little more closely and found these two bits

>> Furthermore there is a roughly 10% penalty to power beyond this for use of a tool from a sect other then your own. Neither of these penalties influence duration, polarity, or accuracy

and

>> In general being of the proper sect and having high astrology (And perhaps other skills) will increase the odds of bonding being beneficial
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 07:28 PM CDT
>>Can you comment on whether Sects affect predictions?

Yes.

>>Also, can you comment on why bones are the only tool that can turn a negative prediction positive?

They aren't.

-Raesh

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 07:58 PM CDT
I think it's a really bad idea to choose a sect based on any perceived or real mechanical edge. I play a monk and have absolutely no problem using capped bones and a tokka deck as my primary prediction tools. Raesh put out a fest shop recently with insanely awesome prediction tools of all types so capped player-made bones aren't the absolute only option for top level prediction work. Not to mention that kind of stuff changes, a lot.

The sect identities aren't quite as narrow as you first think when considering stereotypes either. Read up on some of the major figures in each of them, that helped fill in some depth for me. For what it's worth, I think a Bone Dancer is totally viable. But that also comes from someone who has played his monk through an arc that currently has the monk pretty much disowned by the sect.

No one says you have to be a respected conforming member of your said sect.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 08:10 PM CDT
When sects came out I knew my character's likes, dislikes, back story, and decision making process. There was just one obvious choice that the character would follow.

Sects are for the characters not the players, if you go into it looking at just mechanics that is all on the player side. Choose the sect that your character would choose. If your character can't make a choice than stay sect-less.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 08:38 PM CDT
>>Also, can you comment on why bones are the only tool that can turn a negative prediction positive?

>>> They aren't.

Does anyone know which other prediction tools can change a bad prediction to good? I've pretty much just using bones because of that utility. I know mirrors don't and I'm not sure on Tokka Decks.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 08:42 PM CDT
We have the lunar books, and reading up on the NPC members of each sect is a good idea.

And Armifer provided some detailed lore on some sects. The books and NPCs I regard as dogma, but is Armifer's lore considered official now, and only waiting to be written into future books? Or was it maybe just some possible ideas on what direction he might go with things? Probably only Armifer can answer that.

Kaxis

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 08:49 PM CDT
<<Does anyone know which other prediction tools can change a bad prediction to good? I've pretty much just using bones because of that utility. I know mirrors don't and I'm not sure on Tokka Decks.>>

I'm interested in that too. I thought that bones were the only tool that had an extra modifier allowing for a turned prediction based on pool size (the "your knowledge of the heavens" message). We might be talking about different things too - all tools might have a chance for turning a bad prediction to good based on bonding, but only bones has the pool size thing.
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 08:50 PM CDT
Generally anything Armifer writes is dogma, unless he says it's still in progress and until he rewrites it. :P

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 09:26 PM CDT
>Does anyone know which other prediction tools can change a bad prediction to good?

Bowls I know do. E-pedia even lists the messaging difference.

Lyzalian

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 09:30 PM CDT
Yeah how do we find out about all these questions on prediction tools? A 10-20% bonus or negative to using a certain tool based on sect? Some tools turn predictions but not others? Lord only know what other twists are written into the labyrinth that is the prediction system that we don't know about, and we don't get answers unless we ask the exact right questions it seems like. Red names seem very reluctant to give out these bits of info for some reason. Everything is PAFO but jesus we've played this game for 10 years now and still don't know. At some point you'd think they'd just come out and say it. For me, these are huge and may play a part in what I go with. I mean, how could it not?

-Nasty
Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 09:37 PM CDT
>>Does anyone know which other prediction tools can change a bad prediction to good?

All. The messaging for some of the tools... leaves something to be desired.

In the vast majority of cases all* tools act essentially the same under the hood. I tell you this because the messaging really doesn't reflect it, and I rather people feel free to use what tool fits their RP vs avoiding a tool they would otherwise use because they feel it is mechanically "inferior" to others.

*Bones are... special and really do not act like the other tools in many ways. I'm at a loss to adequately explain why it was set up this way.

-Raesh

Re: Choosing The Right Sect 04/09/2012 10:11 PM CDT
>I'm at a loss to adequately explain why it was set up this way.

Might just be because they came first. At least, I think they came first.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Prev_page Previous 1