Prev_page Previous 1
Planned Spells 01/31/2016 05:53 AM CST
I just figured I'd take a moment to recap what the planned Moon Mage spells are since I know we've been discussing quite a few of them in the past and I just want people on the same page. As usual, please don't take this as concrete promises and nothing here has a release date.

Perception
Destiny Cipher - Ritual spell that improves visions and tool use.
Braun's Conjecture - Ritual spell that eases some high level prediction feats.

Moonlight Manipulation
Eclipse - Minor physical damage barrier that can be activated to nullify the next attack and place the caster in hiding (Barrier Review).
Shadow Web - TM/Debil hybrid AoE spell that attempts to ensnare targets and shortly follow up with TM attacks (May be renamed and possibly move to Enlightened Geometry.)

Psychic Projection
Telekinetic Shield - Strong physical damage barrier that protects the caster in a field of debris suspended on telekinetic currents (Barrier Review).
Seal of Deflection - Anti TM barrier (Will be renamed. Barrier Review).
Mind Shout - AoE debilitation CC with tbd secondary effect. Will no longer have remote casting (Rewrite).
Telekinetic Storm - Single target "cannon" TM spell (Which is a new, higher damage non-spammable TM template. Shadow Web takes over as the primary Moon Mage AoE TM spell. Essentially, this will take the spell back to it's initial form before a dozen rewrites).

Stellar
Read the Ripples - Ritual spell that bypasses the observation timer.
Nera's Legacy - Damage barrier that's more effective at night (Barrier Review).
Sorrow - Created two delayed TM attacks. Chance for the first attack to be a feint (Crystal Spike Reskin).

Teleologic Sorcery (Even moreso than the rest these names are likely to change)
Kolberoc's Fury - Warps fate to increase the caster's effectiveness with the a moonblade.
Teleologic Barrier - Uses observation pools to avoid incoming attacks (Post-Barrier Review).
Secret High Sorcery - One of the ideas behind High Sorcery is letting guilds access effects that would normally belong to another guild. This was the primary example of that in the TS book but is going to be revamped into a slightly different (though more useful) effect in a project that I can't talk about yet. The only reason I mention it here is because I believe I've discussed High Sorcery letting effects bleed over in the past and that's something Teleologic Sorcery struggles to do since it's so tightly bound to prophecy.

There's also a few stray spells planned spells from the 3.0 conversion, though Scry and Return Thought are the only two that comes to mind. I have no update on those at this time.

I'm also planning some minor revisions to the spellbooks similar to what was done for perception, but the only real restructuring planned is for psychic project and the major spell changes are already reflected above.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 06:25 AM CST
I think I've melted into a puddle.

I'm a bit disappointed about TKS, though. I love that spell in its current form. I suppose we'll have to see how well Shadow Web replaces that as our AoE, and how well a high-damage low-recast TM template fares.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 10:57 AM CST
Oh my precious spell slots ....
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 11:01 AM CST
Nice, I for one don't mind seeing TKS go to a higher damage multi hit model. I think a lot of the stuff you posted looks pretty neat. I am assuming that shadow web will initially fire off the snare, then maybe a few pulses of damage? I'm also assuming you MUST latch onto them with it for any secondary TM effects to be used?

Your on such a roll. Now we just need to devise another hybrid debil / TM type spell which levitates a person and toss's them around smacking them into things, and on high end success just flings them out of the room damaging them in the process ;) Can name that one Telekinetic Rage.
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 12:07 PM CST
These all look great and I am really happy to see some of them moving towards completion. I'm the most excited to see the extensions to teleological sorcery. I haven't found any good fits with the current spells but the corruption would be a great RP touch for my character. Really like the idea of the teleological barrier. Would be nice if kolcroc's fury wasn't just isolated to moonblades. My impression is that moonblades require a lot of spell slots (4 to fully unlock) and some weaponsmith training to be competitive with player crafted weapons - though I suppose there is an argument to be made that by growing the moonblade tree of spells maybe they become more viable alternatives. Maybe that one just wont be for me.

Thank you for posting this list Raesh. It looks really great.
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 01:33 PM CST
It does take four slots to fully unlock moonblade but only 2 slots + weaponsmithing techs to get mostly what you want out of a moonblade. Node shifting for Empower Moonblade is slow and to my knowledge no one has really figured out a good strategy for getting the most out of EMMO yet. (assuming Kolberoc's Fury doesn't require EMMO) The weaponsmithing techs are the most important aspect of effective moonblades.

Please tell us that Kolberoc's Fury also cosmetically alters the moonblade (like Sibo Nijare) and turns it into an uncontrolled blade of gravity defying, eye searing amaranthine light.

I'm guessing that KF is a +weapon skill reflecting the moonblade template in hand? If so, will it automatically shift as you shape the moonblade into different templates?

-Or does KF make your moonblade a probability blade that shifts weapon damage type to whatever your target's lowest protection/absorption damage type is on strike?

-Or does KF cause higher moonlight collimation to further increase the moonblade damage stats? Hoping this.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 04:40 PM CST
>>I am assuming that shadow web will initially fire off the snare, then maybe a few pulses of damage? I'm also assuming you MUST latch onto them with it for any secondary TM effects to be used?

Something like that, though we'll see how it ends in practice. It's almost certain I'd check for things that were snared not things that are snared just to make sure DR and web breaks don't hose the TM component.

>>These all look great and I am really happy to see some of them moving towards completion.

I'm not sure I'd phrase it that way - most of these are still just through proposals and I can't dedicate my time to just doing Moon Mage spells (Keep in mind I also work full time and have recently returned to college as well).

Realistically you should have Read the Ripples soonish and I'd expect Braun's Conjecture and Destiny Cipher to follow (Since they'll both be easy to write). Sorrow is up next because a lot of work has already been done on it and we've been promising it a long time. It will also force me to finish the TM pulse spell mechanics which will be of benefit to a lot of the rest of development.

The order beyond that gets fuzzy - a lot of it is spurred by what grabs my interest at the time. The barrier spells should come in one chunk once we resource the barrier review (With Nera's Legacy's possibly lagging due to being stellar and the teleologic one some time after the rest of the barrier system proves stable.)

The mind shout rewrite should be relatively soon (Since it won't be that complex and I want to finish up the polish passes on each of the spellbooks) but TKS could be further down the line depending on how long it takes to create and balance the new TM template. TKS also needs to come after Shadow Web.

Not sure about Kolberoc's Fury. I've put a lot of thought into it and have figured out how to mechanically make it work but I've only just scratched the surface of the code and it's been on the shelf for nearly a year which can make it hard to pick a project back up.

>>Would be nice if kolcroc's fury wasn't just isolated to moonblades.

It's extremely tied to moonblades.

>>Kolberoc's Fury doesn't require EMMO

I haven't set preqs but that wouldn't be one of them. It will require moonblade (of course) and most likely some other TS knowledge.

>>Please tell us that Kolberoc's Fury also cosmetically alters the moonblade (like Sibo Nijare) and turns it into an uncontrolled blade of gravity defying, eye searing amaranthine light.

That is my intention, yes.

>>I'm guessing that KF is a +weapon skill reflecting the moonblade template in hand? If so, will it automatically shift as you shape the moonblade into different templates?

That is half of what the spell will do, yes. The other half will be a unique mechanic more tied to Fate.

>>Or does KF make your moonblade a probability blade that shifts weapon damage type to whatever your target's lowest protection/absorption damage type is on strike?

No, though that's kind of cool.

>>Or does KF cause higher moonlight collimation to further increase the moonblade damage stats? Hoping this.

That is not currently the intention. Moonblades can already get to tier 5 under the right circumstances. Getting them higher is... unlikely. Keep in mind elemental weapons can only get to tier 5 and that requires rare metals.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 05:01 PM CST
<<That is not currently the intention. Moonblades can already get to tier 5 under the right circumstances. Getting them higher is... unlikely. Keep in mind elemental weapons can only get to tier 5 and that requires rare metals.

Tier 5 and density 6. Moonblades have odd densities, but they're mostly on the low side so there's certainly room to grow even within tier 5.

Aside: Moonblade densities for the shaped versions are all over the place based on standard crafting template volumes - 3.2, 3.3, 3.6, 3.7, 5, and 5.7 - so I'm not sure that there's something extra going on like the weight simply being a manual override after determining density 4 stats or something like that.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 05:18 PM CST
<Realistically you should have Read the Ripples soonish and I'd expect Braun's Conjecture and Destiny Cipher to follow (Since they'll both be easy to write). Sorrow is up next because a lot of work has already been done on it and we've been promising it a long time. It will also force me to finish the TM pulse spell mechanics which will be of benefit to a lot of the rest of development.

Yeah, just idea's flowing around. I'm certain everything is just dandy with that much.
Re: Planned Spells 01/31/2016 08:28 PM CST
So very excited about these.

Yes my poor spell slots. Haha.

Thanks for all your work!
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 02:20 AM CST
Raesh... we love you.

A few questions. Please forgive me if anything seems repeated. I can have a bad memory for these things.

>>Destiny Cipher - Ritual spell that improves visions and tool use.

Curious about this. Will it still be useful to a high-level person with a capped tool?

>>Braun's Conjecture - Ritual spell that eases some high level prediction feats.

Are there prediction feats other than ALIGN SPLIT and ALIGN TRANSMOGRIFY?

>>Shadow Web - TM/Debil hybrid AoE spell that attempts to ensnare targets and shortly follow up with TM attacks (May be renamed and possibly move to Enlightened Geometry.)

/drool. There goes my attempt to avoid shadow spells.

>>Telekinetic Storm - Single target "cannon" TM spell (Which is a new, higher damage non-spammable TM template.

Love the idea of a cannon spell and love that MMs get one! Will it still require you to drop a projectile? If so, at the very least can this part work from the at-feet slot? Right now I have to make sure I have my arrow, get it, drop it, and whenever I'm done try not to leave it behind. It's just annoying, especially in invasions and such.

>>Sorrow - Created two delayed TM attacks. Chance for the first attack to be a feint (Crystal Spike Reskin).

What does a feint mean in this context? Lower damage but more unbalancing?

>>There's also a few stray spells planned spells from the 3.0 conversion, though Scry and Return Thought are the only two that comes to mind.

I forget what Scry was supposed to do. Return Thought I thought was already implemented: You can currently Thoughtcast to someone and they have a certain window to THINK TO you.

While you are considering spells, I would like to bring up TKT and PD. These two spells are virtually identical (basic single-target TM, puncture/impact damage), except TKT requires you to juggle the arrow situation. The problem is that both are at the base of spell trees, with TKT being especially difficult to avoid. With all the new spells and choices, I may have to drop PD despite the fact that flavor-wise it is one of my favorites. Possible solutions seem to be either 1) changing prereqs somehow (seems hard), or 2) swapping the damage types of one of the spells.

- Navesi
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:05 AM CST
>>Destiny Cipher - Ritual spell that improves visions and tool use.

>Curious about this. Will it still be useful to a high-level person with a capped tool?

Circumstantially? Yes. Generally? Not likely.

>>Braun's Conjecture - Ritual spell that eases some high level prediction feats.

>Are there prediction feats other than ALIGN SPLIT and ALIGN TRANSMOGRIFY?

Those are the main two but it will also help with targetting specific skills.

>>Shadow Web - TM/Debil hybrid AoE spell that attempts to ensnare targets and shortly follow up with TM attacks (May be renamed and possibly move to Enlightened Geometry.)

>/drool. There goes my attempt to avoid shadow spells.

Strictly speaking it may not end up a shadow spell if it moves into Enlightened Geometry (Where it'd be more in the vein of shadowling/shadow servant/etc.)

>>Telekinetic Storm - Single target "cannon" TM spell (Which is a new, higher damage non-spammable TM template.

>Will it still require you to drop a projectile?

We're not that far into the design. Throwing items on the ground is cool. It's also extremely annoying both from a player perspective and a coding perspective. I think you all know this by now from the number of times Armifer and I have tried to stab TKT/TKS through the heart.

>>Sorrow - Created two delayed TM attacks. Chance for the first attack to be a feint (Crystal Spike Reskin).

>What does a feint mean in this context? Lower damage but more unbalancing?

Same thing it meant with Crystal Spike - sometimes instead of attacking with the first pulse it will attempt to unbalance the target instead.

>>There's also a few stray spells planned spells from the 3.0 conversion, though Scry and Return Thought are the only two that comes to mind.

>I forget what Scry was supposed to do.

It was the area version of locate from 2.0 that's kind of like hunt/perc health. I believe it was also suppose to put a spot effect on anything hidden around you. I wasn't involved in the discussions when it was added to the 3.0 list so I may have some of that slightly wrong.

>Return Thought I thought was already implemented: You can currently Thoughtcast to someone and they have a certain window to THINK TO you.

Moments after I posted that I remembered that but didn't get around to going back to fix my post.

>While you are considering spells, I would like to bring up TKT and PD.

Yup, that's a problem I've been thinking about. I'd like to do some things to improve TKT but I haven't figured out what yet. PD I have a slightly better idea for how to improve.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:08 AM CST
<<>>Sorrow - Created two delayed TM attacks. Chance for the first attack to be a feint (Crystal Spike Reskin).
<<What does a feint mean in this context? Lower damage but more unbalancing?

I believe the first hit of the old Crystal Spike spell unbalanced the target when it was a feint. There was no damage. Going by the demonstration that happened in Test a while ago this appears to still be the case, although it's entirely possible that it's just the old messaging not correctly indicating what is going on since it was just a placeholder for the updated messaging he hasn't written yet.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Talk:Crystal_Spike
Feint attack:
A soaring actinic spine quivers silently before streaking towards you!
The spine narrowly misses, detonating just to your left. You flinch away from the assault, notably staggered.

<<I forget what Scry was supposed to do.

It was supposed to be a return of the old general cast Locate I think, but which granted spot effect and didn't have quite so long a range.

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:45 AM CST
Will Mind Shout lose the horrible, horrible requirement of having a moonbeam down that makes me curse and shout and wonder why I'm playing a Moon Mage instead of my beloved Warrior Mage? ;)

These spells look neat, Raesh. It's exciting to see the plans for spells going forward. Thanks for sharing them.

- Saragos
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:48 AM CST
I would assume so, given that he mentioned it was losing the remote capability. No point to using a moonbeam as a focus if it can't be cast at range anymore.

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:45 AM CST
>>No point to using a moonbeam as a focus if it can't be cast at range anymore.

This is correct.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:46 AM CST
By the way, what kind of secondary effect would you like to see with Mind Shout? I have some ideas but none of them have really tickled my fancy yet.

I'm trying to avoid turning it into Thunderclap v2.0.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 05:15 AM CST
Have it prevent advancing/retreat for a short time after the stun wears off? Think deer caught in headlights kind of thing.

Alternately, have it give creatures RT for a short time like piercing whistle does for a different type of deer in headlights kind of effect.

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 05:23 AM CST
Internal head damage.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 06:36 AM CST
>>By the way, what kind of secondary effect would you like to see with Mind Shout? I have some ideas but none of them have really tickled my fancy yet.

These are just some ideas based on the role of Mind Shout as a psychic scream. They aren't necessarily good ideas.

- inability to gweth/use rings for a short time
- loss of concentration
- vulnerability to vs. Will spells for a short time (-Disc/Int/Wis?)
- nerve damage
- brief inability to cast spells

I think I would most prefer a debuff to mentals, since we have other ways to disrupt spellcasting and mini-gwethsmash would not be that useful to me (although perhaps amusing). It would also make it a great set-up spell to follow with our other vs. Will spells. Still, AOE reduction of spellcasting/khri is not something I'd turn my nose up at.

- Navesi
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 07:38 AM CST
>>By the way, what kind of secondary effect would you like to see with Mind Shout? I have some ideas but none of them have really tickled my fancy yet.

Periodic smaller secondary stuns, with messaging about wandering about aimlessly. In the look description while active, show 1 eye focused, while the other staring off into space. Think tremor but instead of seismic activity, it would be psychic energy cascading outwards from the caster.
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 09:33 AM CST
>TKT/TKS
>>Will it still require you to drop a projectile?

I'm still championing ad hoc ammo creation from ambient light.

>>By the way, what kind of secondary effect would you like to see with Mind Shout?

Random activation of one of your targets' spells/abilities targeted (if target-able) randomly. Might hit you, might hit someone else, might hit themselves. (this is my favorite)

Next spell cast against you causes the mage to put twice as much mana as their cap on cast causing horrible backfire. (they're just confused)
Failure of the next fully prepared spell from anyone who lost the contest from the cast of Mind Shout.
Periodic smaller secondary stuns, with messaging about wandering about aimlessly. (the more random the periodic stun the better)
Concentration hit on par with a ritual spell cast to all targets who lost the contest.
Knocks out a warding spell/ability on your target.
Next attack (mundane or magical) made upon you by targets who failed the MS contest are self inflicted attacks instead. (Why are you hitting yourself?)
Next attack (mundane or magical) made upon you by targets who failed the MS contest target become attacks against other random targets in the room (but not you).
Tanked balance and position for x amount of time.
Debuff x,y,z stats for x amount of time because your target's pysche is utterly defeated. Could be mentals or physicals.
Weapons your targets are holding are swapped to their offhand.
Your targets think their weapons are venomous snakes and freak out for x amount of seconds. And/or injure themselves in the process, and/or throw them away.
Your targets shield slam themselves in the face using their own skill.
Your targets sit down and roll up in a ball hugging their knees.

Vote:
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 09:48 AM CST
The weird concussion like effect that those Elpazi suicide birds caused, is that a direct result of internal head wounds or was it a separate additional effect? It was a pretty cool effect.
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:38 PM CST
Why not a tkt with your new floating moonblade? Seems a pretty cool/fun targetted damage spell.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:52 PM CST
You people have weird, and complicated, ideas for secondary effects.

Many of those achieve the trinity of extremely complex to imminent, more powerful than a secondary effect should be and rather niche (though I can tell you a bunch of PvPers.)

Carry on.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:57 PM CST
>>Why not a tkt with your new floating moonblade?

Well you can already TKT with slivers made from breaking up your Moonblade. The solution I'm looking for would be for everyone who doesn't have it.

- Navesi
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 03:59 PM CST
I'm more thinking of like throwing the whole damned thing lol. Like chucking a weapon, but being able to target it since you are all magey and stuff.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:10 PM CST
>>I'm more thinking of like throwing the whole damned thing lol. Like chucking a weapon, but being able to target it since you are all magey and stuff.

While that would be awesome and I approve of it, as someone without Moonblade, I'd just hope something would exist for me too.

I mean, yes, I could spend a slot on Moonblade, but I'd rather not have to spend a slot just to be able to use my other spells normally.

- Navesi
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:10 PM CST
You can throw moonblades. We coded them for that and everything.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:11 PM CST
>>>Why not a tkt with your new floating moonblade?

This would be cool but:

Using a moonblade or moonblade shards as ammunition relies on a moon in the sky. While moon dependency is a recurring theme for our guild; it really takes a big bite out of practical utility. Currently a moonblade also poofs if it leaves your inventory or your hands.

Tkt ammo as physical items are also a source of constant problems for staff. It would be better if the ammunition was messaging dressed up to look like items versus actual items.

Vote:
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:12 PM CST
>>You can throw moonblades. We coded them for that and everything.

I still remember that day.

"We're going to let any weapon be thrown."
"Ooh, ooh, I know exactly how to support that."

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:23 PM CST
That must have been about the same feeling I got when I found out people were climbing moongates and that needed to be fixed.

In my defense, Ricinus was egging me on while I coded that.

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 04:44 PM CST
At the very least I think TKT should be changed to draw items that are in the AtFeet slot instead of actually on the ground. Wouldn't that alone save some headaches? At least on the player usability side...

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 05:04 PM CST
Not as many as you might think. And do you really want to dump things atfeet so you can cast?

-Raesh

Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 05:11 PM CST
Hell no.

Vote:
Re: Planned Spells 02/02/2016 05:13 PM CST
I was usually using thrown anyway, so it wouldn't have actually ended up being a big change for me.

It would make the Nomad cantrip a bit redundant.

Thayet

Re: Planned Spells 02/03/2016 10:09 AM CST
For mind shout i would go with a chance of stun and a chance to loose the current target.
Re: Planned Spells 02/03/2016 02:21 PM CST
I think I'd make Mind Shout a metaspell that adds "cast creatures", "cast area", and "cast engaged" options to Calm, Sleep, and Mental Blast.
Re: Planned Spells 02/03/2016 06:36 PM CST
>I think I'd make Mind Shout a metaspell that adds "cast creatures", "cast area", and "cast engaged" options to Calm, Sleep, and Mental Blast.

While owning a 7 slot spell would be epic I somehow doubt this happens.

Vote:
Re: Planned Spells 02/03/2016 06:53 PM CST
See Ring of Blessings for why it wouldn't be a 7 slot metaspell. That said, it's also not a buffing application but rather a debuffing application, so I don't see it happening for that reason and not any potential slot cost concerns.

Prev_page Previous 1