Prev_page Previous 1
TKT/TKS ammo 08/10/2007 04:30 PM CDT
What is the best TKT ammo?

I decided to start a new subject here because of the interest stirred by Armifer's comments. I am posting them here for reference at the start of this thread:

"Believe it or not, you're correct. TKT and TKS still have the potential to produce more damage than any other spell in the Moon Mage arsenal, and not by a small margin, if you have the proper ammo."
"Slivers will give you very nice damage output for a 1st tier spell, but not near the theoretical limit."

Mors asked: "Would you be referring to assorted items with broken stats that rarely exist (and often not for long), like the god-like puncture tago I used to have?"
Armifer replied: "No. With broken items, it can produce more damage than ALA. Not quite Incinerate level, but nothing is quite like Incinerate."

Honestly, I am still trying to understand Armifer's reply. I am not sure what "ALA" means. Also I'm not sure what he means by "broken items." The No. in front of it muddles it a bit more. I am probably being dense here.

Upper level Moon Mages largely ignore TKT, but Armifer's comments make me think more research into the spell needs to be done.

I am proposing that we begin conducting some research to find the "proper ammo." I'm not sure exactly what research model to follow. I am thinking we need to get some baseline data with common items, then branch out to find things that are better. I am thinking of using the following easily obtained items:
-foraged leaf
-foraged small rock
-bundling rope (not braided; their weight varies)
-Crossings general store arrow
-Crossings general store bolt
-moonblade slivers.

I am thinking about counting hits to kill as my main measure of effectiveness, although I suppose I could use messaging.

After I get confidence in my metric I will try moving up to more exotic items.

My vague idea of exotic items includes:
-pointy skinnables: tusks, quills, barbs, spines, etc.
-exotic arrows
-various types of arrowheads
-weapons
-steelstars (I really wish I could drop those things on the ground).
-beacon shards & insane or otherwise useless minds.
-chemical warfare (naptha, viper sacks, poisoned versions of the above)

I am thinking I need to use a soft-bodied critter that doesn't drop junk and preferably isn't too swarmy to make the kill easier to detect. I'm on Ratha now, so la'tami seem like a logical choice.

Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions? I am planning to use fully targeted casts, but I am still debating mana levels.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/10/2007 04:33 PM CDT
>I am not sure what "ALA" means.

Aether Lash, WM spell.

>After I get confidence in my metric I will try moving up to more exotic items.

I'll see what I can find you in P5. I'm guessing you'll need a lot of them if they are destroyed on impact?

-Durnil
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/10/2007 04:37 PM CDT
>>Also I'm not sure what he means by "broken items."

This was likely in response to the post asking if he meant items such as the god-like damaging tago were where TKT would get the damage he was referring to from.

~Kheldun

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/10/2007 04:42 PM CDT
Yes, as Kheldun said, ALA = Aether Lash. To elaborate, Aether lash is the top dog of single-target TM spells. No other TM spell compares for doing damage to a single target (except incinerate I guess).

I was thinking about testing this out myself. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a lot of trouble comparing various TKT ammos to eachother - the difficulty would lie in determining whether the "good" TKT ammos were outpacing PD.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/10/2007 04:50 PM CDT
Since this is becoming a big thing, I'll come clean:

The points in my discussion were strictly looking at the spell itself and the theoretical perfect ammo. I do not know if any particular object in the game has all the qualities TKT looks for to reach maximum possible damage.

-Armifer
"No paradox is more striking than that of the scientist who as citizen makes one set of psychological assumptions and in his laboratory and writings makes opposite assumptions respecting the nature of man." - Gordon Allport
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/10/2007 05:08 PM CDT
A while back, I did TKT tests comparing the iltesh with the crossing halberd (both are m/m/l) to see if the "weight" of the item factored in in some way, independent of stats. It was long enough ago that I don't really have a lot of specifics, but I seem to recall that the damage seemed fairly comparable, given the same type of mana. I won't go saying conclusively that "weapon stats determine damage" from those tests, but it SEEMED like two weapons with similar stats produced similar damage. Very scientific. :P Maybe I'll do some more current tests...

~Raecear in plat, player of

Me: whose fault is this!
GM Kheldun: hmm
GM Kheldun : blame Armifer
Me: does he like that?
GM Kheldun: Being blamed? Yeah I think so.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/11/2007 12:31 PM CDT
>>The points in my discussion were strictly looking at the spell itself and the theoretical perfect ammo. I do not know if any particular object in the game has all the qualities TKT looks for to reach maximum possible damage.

I suppose a list of those qualities would be too much to ask?

For some reason i'm having a sudden terrible vision of MMs experimenting with density/volume like the forging system, only to find that the best TKT ammo is along the lines of a kertig tear or fist.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/11/2007 12:59 PM CDT
Well Armifer said that "broken" damage level items like those daggers with crazy puncture would do tons of damage, so it seems like a fair assumption that the damage stats of an item play into the equation. Could we make some really crappy arrows or something and compare them to really good arrows and see what sort of spread we get?

Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/11/2007 09:35 PM CDT
>Could we make some really crappy arrows or something and compare them to really good arrows and see what sort of spread we get?

Yes.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 08/11/2007 10:20 PM CDT
I haven't had a lot of time to do rigorous testing. What I have found so far is that I am killing stuf in one or two hits. I am impressed with the killing power of TKT.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 10/04/2007 03:59 PM CDT
>>I haven't had a lot of time to do rigorous testing. What I have found so far is that I am killing stuf in one or two hits. I am impressed with the killing power of TKT. <<

I miss the old tkt.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/24/2007 11:16 AM CST
Even though this subject died two and a half months ago.. I still feel like chiming in. :)

I used TKT till circle 35, and loved it. Really the only drawback I had was the whole loot vs ammo issues. So the only reason I moved away from TKT was the number of items when I get close calls and need to blast my way clear but instead it keeps trying to throw chests or shields or swords..

Player of Gilart
Everything written by this poster is non-guaranteed, use or accept at your own risk. All information is accessed from posters limited brain power unless log is provided.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/24/2007 01:41 PM CST
>>Really the only drawback I had was the whole loot vs ammo issues.

Have you ever hunted with a Nomad?

Consistancy is a noble goal, but it doesn't mean we need to make the same mistakes over and over again.
-Armifer
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/24/2007 07:23 PM CST
Nope, care to elaborate?

Player of Gilart
Everything written by this poster is non-guaranteed, use or accept at your own risk. All information is accessed from posters limited brain power unless log is provided.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/24/2007 08:28 PM CST
Find Leraar in game.

Consistancy is a noble goal, but it doesn't mean we need to make the same mistakes over and over again.
-Armifer
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/24/2007 09:45 PM CST
I find it highly ironic that this isn't discussed freely yet the khri forumlas are being discussed on the thief boards.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/26/2007 04:38 AM CST
That's because Thieves don't understand secrecy and sneakiness.

See Stealth folder.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 12/26/2007 10:54 PM CST
Squint

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/08/2008 09:27 AM CST
Nomads can use a cantrip to select TKS/TKT ammo. There.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/09/2008 01:37 AM CST
>Nomads can use a cantrip to select TKS/TKT ammo. There.

Squint.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/09/2008 03:32 AM CST
Let's not go into any further detail, shall we?

~Kheldun

Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/09/2008 04:07 AM CST
And here is a perfect example of a cantrip from the sect Armifer's Archons called summon Kheldun. It silences the tellers of secrets.

It also... <dramatically clutches is throat and dies>

- Player of Foresee

"Since your character is a unique snowflake, I will not attempt to create a measure for his own, personal angst." - DR-Armifer
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/10/2008 03:28 PM CST
So thief khri and their formulas are not secret, yet MM cantrip information is? That's quite interesting.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/10/2008 04:03 PM CST
<<So thief khri and their formulas are not secret, yet MM cantrip information is? That's quite interesting.

Yeah, thieves aren't very good at secrecy and stealth and that kind of stuff.

-Armifer
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/10/2008 04:59 PM CST
<<So thief khri and their formulas are not secret, yet MM cantrip information is? That's quite interesting.

The newer things are the more secretive they are in DR.

Stolas

The views expressed in this post are in no way endorsed by the Moon Mage guild or the Progeny of Tezirah sect ... but I am sure they will come around.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/10/2008 06:38 PM CST
>So thief khri and their formulas are not secret, yet MM cantrip information is? That's quite interesting.

I thought it was interesting too. But apparently the worst thing you could ever do in DR is join a sect based partly on what abilities they posses, even though game mechanics are such a HUGE part of RP.

PS - There is a website out there that has almost all of them.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/10/2008 07:51 PM CST
>>I thought it was interesting too. But apparently the worst thing you could ever do in DR is join a sect based partly on what abilities they posses, even though game mechanics are such a HUGE part of RP.

One guild discussing its secrets on the boards does not suggest that the rest of the guilds should do the same. While there may be little mystique to be saved, I personally believe it's worth the effort. Of course there are plenty of OOC resources out there where you can get the information, but you could also try to RP it in game and have your character learn for themselves as an alternative.

~Kheldun

Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/10/2008 08:35 PM CST
Kheldun makes a good point - they are not secret IG the same way thief information is. There's no reason someone shouldn't tell you what a cantrip does in game if they are so inclined.

Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 09:12 AM CST
<<Kheldun makes a good point - they are not secret IG the same way thief information is. There's no reason someone shouldn't tell you what a cantrip does in game if they are so inclined.

That doesn't make sense. Why would they be a secret on a message board and not In Game?

This message board is just as OOC as the website I looked up the information on before I joined my sect. And just like JMF90 said, I did that because I joined a sect purely for the abilities and not for RP purposes. If something is not a secret In Game, what is the point in hiding it on a message board?

<<but you could also try to RP it in game and have your character learn for themselves as an alternative.

Hm, my characters rarely RP and never has RP been a requirement in this game. As far as I'm concerned the whole point of a message board like this is a source of information for abilities like cantrips. There should be no reason why cantrips are kept secret here.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 12:38 PM CST
<<Hm, my characters rarely RP and never has RP been a requirement in this game. As far as I'm concerned the whole point of a message board like this is a source of information for abilities like cantrips. There should be no reason why cantrips are kept secret here.

It is a shame I cant thump you on the message boards.

Stolas

The views expressed in this post are in no way endorsed by the Moon Mage guild or the Progeny of Tezirah sect ... but I am sure they will come around.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 12:46 PM CST
I actually agree with Strange on this one, I think it's an unfair double-standard considering the state of khris and other guild abilities.

And hey, by all means, I'd love to see another Heritage House turtle happen. Cries of "but I joined Heritage House for the turtle! It's not fair that I don't get it anymore!" were some of the best threads ever.

Rev. Reene

The silence weaves a tapestry of once enchanted themes,
The shadows listen carefully and question what it means;
For stories have lives of their own,
But what good's a story whose end is unknown?
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 01:34 PM CST
>>That doesn't make sense. Why would they be a secret on a message board and not In Game?

There are plenty of things that follow this same logic that aren't limited to the Moon Mage guild. That is the nature of these boards and has been for some time.

>>This message board is just as OOC as the website I looked up the information on before I joined my sect. And just like JMF90 said, I did that because I joined a sect purely for the abilities and not for RP purposes. If something is not a secret In Game, what is the point in hiding it on a message board?

It is just as OOC, certainly. It is not, however, as revealing (clearly). It could be argued that this forum is entirely OOC (as I would imagine the site that you received your information off of is), but we still do not discuss how to complete certain quests, for example. There is often a strong sense of the (sometimes dreaded) "PAFO" (Play And Find Out) philosophy in this game and these "secrets" are just a part of the whole.

~Kheldun

Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 01:49 PM CST
>It is a shame I cant thump you on the message boards.

...but probably a good thing, for your own sake.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 02:33 PM CST
<<There is often a strong sense of the (sometimes dreaded) "PAFO" (Play And Find Out) philosophy in this game and these "secrets" are just a part of the whole.

Of course in the case of sects, PAFO really means "Join a Sect and Find Out the Cantrips Are Useless and You Can't Undo Your Choice".

<<It is a shame I cant thump you on the message boards.

The feeling is mutual. However, you are welcome to attempt to do so in game. I play Galren.
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 03:44 PM CST
>>PAFO really means "Join a Sect and Find Out the Cantrips Are Useless and You Can't Undo Your Choice".

Your mistake was joining a sect for the cantrips in the first place. All the sect cantrips are useless.

_

Moon Magic 101:
"A lethal spell is defined as a spell which, by itself, can cause the death of anyone other than the caster." --GM Armifer
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 03:45 PM CST
>>PAFO really means "Join a Sect and Find Out the Cantrips Are Useless and You Can't Undo Your Choice".

>Your mistake was joining a sect for the cantrips in the first place. All the sect cantrips are useless.

Join for the pancakes.

Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 03:49 PM CST
Too soon Huldahs-Pal, too soon
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 03:54 PM CST
>> All the sect cantrips are useless.

lol, this is so false.

Rev. Reene

The silence weaves a tapestry of once enchanted themes,
The shadows listen carefully and question what it means;
For stories have lives of their own,
But what good's a story whose end is unknown?
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 03:56 PM CST
>>Join for the pancakes.

Actually, had I known what the sect hall was going to be like I would have joined one with an outdoor area and/or telescope. I don't really eat the sect food, but if I did I imagine that would also be a higher priority than the cantrips.
_

Moon Magic 101:
"A lethal spell is defined as a spell which, by itself, can cause the death of anyone other than the caster." --GM Armifer
Re: TKT/TKS ammo 01/15/2008 04:03 PM CST
>Too soon Huldahs-Pal, too soon

It's never too soon, or too late for pancakes. I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Prev_page Previous 1