Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Sorcery 01/30/2013 10:16 PM CST
>>The assumption would be that it would be the same as if a Necromancer cast a Lunar spell - it's still Arcane mixing with Lunar.

There's no such thing as Arcane.

Necromancers get a bonus to casting [non-holy] sorcery without backlash explicitly because their default energy state is an amalgamation of everything that they experience as "Arcane" energy. But it's still a total farce that exists only in their fevered heads.

That said, I have no idea if Arcane spells currently consider what they're made of, mana-wise, so it might just be some default "you're shoving a ton of stuff into a spell at once and that's a bad idea" penalty.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 12:07 AM CST
>> There's no such thing as Arcane.

Welll, technically it's Life/Elemental/Lunar.

So, if you were curious how Lunar would mix with Arcane it would be...

Lunar mixing with Life/Elemental/Lunar. Whatever that means :)
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:04 AM CST
>>Well, technically it's Life/Elemental/Lunar.

No. Arcane energy literally does not exist.

But this does bring up something interesting. How the hell are Moon Mages seeing Teleological energy. Necromancers literally break their brains in order to see Arcane energy. I'm wondering how/why Moon Mages are different.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:06 AM CST
>> How the hell are Moon Mages seeing Teleological energy. Necromancers literally break their brains in order to see Arcane energy. I'm wondering how/why Moon Mages are different.

I thought they're only seeing the lunar mana portion, I dont think that they see the actual mana level.
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:07 AM CST
>>I thought they're only seeing the lunar mana portion, I dont think that they see the actual mana level.

That's right. That's what I get for having a tangential sidenote, hah.

Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:09 AM CST
>>But this does bring up something interesting. How the hell are Moon Mages seeing Teleological energy. Necromancers literally break their brains in order to see Arcane energy. I'm wondering how/why Moon Mages are different.

They only see the MM half.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:09 AM CST
> >>Well, technically it's Life/Elemental/Lunar.

> No. Arcane energy literally does not exist.

>But this does bring up something interesting. How the hell are Moon Mages seeing Teleological energy. Necromancers literally break their brains in order to see Arcane energy. I'm wondering how/why Moon Mages are different.

Necromancers break their brains in order to see that which doesn't exist? How can they cast spells if it doesn't exist. What IS it they are using to channel through their spell patterns?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:11 AM CST
>>Necromancers break their brains in order to see that which doesn't exist? How can they cast spells if it doesn't exist. What IS it they are using to channel through their spell patterns?

They break their brains to be able to see/use more than one 'frequency' of mana at the same time naturally.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Sorcery 01/31/2013 09:35 AM CST
>>Necromancers break their brains in order to see that which doesn't exist? How can they cast spells if it doesn't exist.

The idea of mushing together multiple streams of energy exists.

A visual representation of those multiple streams doesn't.

Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 01:53 AM CST
So... hows everyone else doing on Sorcery learning? Anyone else having trouble with theirs? I learn great but Im backlashing like crazy. Even on low prep Holy which should be the easiest for us. I blew my arms off three times in a row just tonight on Glythtide's Gift which shouldnt be the case. Seems to be pretty constant lately. This is with 178 in Sorcery.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 07:53 AM CST
I haven't backlashed in 30 ranks, approximately around the same as yours. Get Instinct, get sorcerous patterns, cast at 50-60% of your personal cap via discern, wait for fully prepared before you cast.

If you're still blowing yourself up after that, maybe you're bugged or it's a stat issue.
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 10:49 AM CST
Yea Im already doing that and Ive had sorcerous patterns since I was able to grab it... and Life should be worse to cast than Holy. Im starting to wonder if somethings up. My discern says I can cast GG (a basic Holy spell) at 33. Casting at 10 Ive blown my arms off 3-4 times in several hours. And I dont snap cast.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 11:07 AM CST
Intro is easier than Basic. Try Instinct instead of GG. That was all the testing and discussion I posted about earlier, i.e. spell of lower base difficulty is better to use even if it means "average" cross-mana compatibility instead of "best" cross-mana compatibility. I was testing PFE (also basic, also holy) against instinct.

And I don't mean "don't snap cast" (which to me means basically prep, pause 1, cast), I mean wait 20 seconds for the full prep. Sorry if that's what you meant you were already doing.
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 11:07 AM CST
Heh make that 6 times. There has got to be something goin on here. Either with me or this spell is downright evil..

!R>prep gg 15
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
Your eyes darken to black as a starless night as you prepare the Glythtide's Gift spell.
!>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
!>cast
You raise your hand in an imaginary toast to Glythtide.
The spell pattern resists the influx of Lunar mana, and a strange burning sensation backwashes from the spell pattern into your body.
An instant rush of black and blue fire explodes into being, consuming your outstretched limbs and turning them into ash!
!>prep gg 15
Your eyes darken to black as a starless night as you prepare the Glythtide's Gift spell.
!>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
!>cast
You raise your hand in an imaginary toast to Glythtide.
The spell pattern resists the influx of Lunar mana, and a strange burning sensation backwashes from the spell pattern into your body.
An instant rush of black and blue fire explodes into being, consuming your outstretched limbs and turning them into ash!
!>prep gg 15
!>heal
!>
Your body feels somewhat battered.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have some minor abrasions to the head, some minor abrasions to the neck, a shattered right arm with gaping wounds, a shattered left arm with gaping wounds, an ugly stump for a right hand, an ugly stump for a left hand, some minor abrasions to the abdomen, some minor abrasions to the left eye.

Bleeding
Area Rate

right arm extremely severe
left arm extremely severe(tended)
right hand extremely severe
left hand extremely severe
inside l. arm slight

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 12:54 PM CST
>>Intro is easier than Basic.

I thought all Intro spells were Basic to other guilds?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 12:58 PM CST
> I thought all Intro spells were Basic to other guilds?

That's the intention, but it's not implemented on a system level. It needs to be set for each intro spell, so there are probably some that are missing it.
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 01:15 PM CST
Misfire chance is set on a spell by spell basis. Generally higher tier spells have it uh... higher, but not always. GG has a fairly high misfire chance for reasons I do not know (You'd likely have to bring them up on the Cleric forums).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 01:29 PM CST
>> GG has a fairly high misfire chance for reasons I do not know

Fair enough. Spell switched.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 03:57 PM CST
Has anyone found any Minor Physical Protection scrolls? I think that might be my goto for sorcery training since it is intro Holy and is a useful spell. Just wanted to know about others using it.
Re: Sorcery 02/02/2013 03:57 PM CST
Has anyone found any Minor Physical Protection scrolls? I think that might be my goto for sorcery training since it is intro Holy and is a useful spell. Just wanted to know about others using it.
Re: Sorcery 02/03/2013 09:04 AM CST
I don't know about MPP, but I have found bless.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page