Prev_page Previous 1
How do you know? 11/29/2004 11:13 AM CST
Read most of that "Tipping" thread a few pages back. I am somewhat surprised at the level of attitude some Empaths displayed in it (in regards to tipping anyway). A question for the Empaths who demand to *be paid* (rather than be tipped - there's a difference between the two, folks), how do you know if someone has the money you are asking for to begin with? How can you tell a 10th circle Wanderer from a 19th circle Wanderer? Both will be hunting different creatures, which therefore earn different amounts of money. How about a person's fluff, you say? I've seen countless of young characters walking around with a lot of fluff. Bigger adventurers donating relatively expensive items in/on their guild's rack for the youngins. My Ranger Scout for example, picked up a Nisha Short Bow a few weeks back. Does it now mean I can afford to pay Empaths 1 gold plus per healing session? Hell, I'm only averaging 200 lirums per trip hunting Goblins.

Don't get me wrong, fellas. Since re-joining DR in October, and re-rolling all my characters, I have tried my best to tip Empaths as best I can. Both my lowly Ranger and my lowly Barbarian shell out 3-5 silver coins (if not more at times), and they both do not get a lot of loot (the way I train is a bit screwed up).

I guess, as an Ex-Primary Empath, I'm just not seeing where some of you are coming from. I'm hoping it's only a select few of you, because so far, all the Empaths I've met are excellent, and receive my tips with hugs and smiles with a Thank you on top. Interestingly enough, out of all the guilds that I have tried - even back in '99 - I have made the most money as an Empath (Traders excluded because I didn't play him properly), and this is from not even asking for any sort of payment in return.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 11/29/2004 12:23 PM CST
>>how do you know if someone has the money you are asking for to begin with?

Usually you can't make that assumption. I don't really assume anything about my patients. If you have a Nisha short bow or a bunch of stuff that costs between a few gold and a plat, I won't assume you are rich. However, if someone comes in with a forehead ruby, a belt worn claymore sheath, an inviso cloak, some winged boots and tips me a small topaz, I am going to be inclined to think they are cheap. And most likely I will ignore them later.

>>the Empaths who demand to *be paid*

Well, empaths offer a service. If they want to be paid for that service before hand and to their satisfaction, they are completely within their right to do so. A barbarian won't sell capped weapons all day for small topazes because his clientele can't afford 10 plat. This is no different.

>>I have made the most money as an Empath

This may be true at low circles, but empath's earning potential caps out very early until shift. Unless I get one of those super tippers I hardly clear 1.5 plat a day at 60th circle if I am healing and accept all tips. When my war mage was 60th circle he could make that money in an hour or two hunting critters that posed little or no threat. Shifting offers a good source of income for higher circlers I guess, but I have only had like 3 customers.

In my opinion, the tipping environment is better than it has ever been. I'm getting small zircons instead of small topazes and multiple gems more and more, and people who don't tip/offer to at all have dropped to maybe 1 in 6. So good job tippers! But if an empath demands to be paid or calls a bad tipper out, that is their business. It sounds like you are treating empaths well, so just keep on doing what you are doing, and I think you will be a welcome patient and get quick service.

It was the empath. In the library. With the bone-crushing claymore.

~Purehand
Re: How do you know? 11/29/2004 12:57 PM CST
Ozzie I don't think anyone would think your a bad tiper!

Though I think some empaths do perfer something to nothing...

Like say a novice who's able to hunt goblins... they give you say a goblin skin or my favorite a goblin box! That's a great tip!

It's up to the empaths if they want to say if they want tips or not, and how much they want or not...

If they want a tip (or flat out payment of some sort) they got to indicate it somehow instead of healing someone and getting nothing or sometimes not even a thanks...

some empaths are empathic to someone who hunts and makes lil to nothing

there are all kinds of empaths and all kinds of patients
Re: How do you know? 11/30/2004 05:06 PM CST
>>how do you know if someone has the money you are asking for to begin with?

Consider it a starting offer. A little bargaining isn't going to hurt anyone, and it's not like empaths are really that hard-headed that they won't bother taking, say, 15 gold instead of the 20 they originally asked for. And, at any rate, you COULD ask for some kind of payment plan. As long as 1)the empath knows you are coming back and 2)you keep your word, few of them will get bent out of shape at not being paid right then and there. In fact, the whole reason they do get an attitude is because some people blatantly do not tip or say they will and never do.

>>It's up to the empaths if they want to say if they want tips or not, and how much they want or not...

Actually, no. Unless you are given a price upfront, always offer a proper tip. If the empath doesn't want the tip, great. If the empath wants less than what you offered, even better. Every empath is different in their expectations, so what and how much to tip is something you have to judge on your own.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: How do you know? 12/03/2004 09:31 PM CST
>>Well, empaths offer a service. If they want to be paid for that service before hand and to their satisfaction, they are completely within their right to do so. A barbarian won't sell capped weapons all day for small topazes because his clientele can't afford 10 plat. This is no different.

Purehand, there's a HUGE difference between devoting/obligating yourself to become an Empath and heal people than asking a Barbarian to forge you a weapon. If you were to compare Shifting to Blacksmithing, then yes, I would agree both are the same, because both are rewards to characters who have devoted time & effort in progressing in their respective guild. Not every Barbarian can forge weapons, just the same as not every Empath can shift. In fact, I'm sure there will be characters out there that will never use - let's say - the blacksmith system, because they are not obligated to do so. Empaths on the other hand, are obligated to heal, just as much as Barbarians are obligated to hunt, and Warrior Mages are obligated to use magic, etc, etc.

>>This may be true at low circles, but empath's earning potential caps out very early until shift. Unless I get one of those super tippers I hardly clear 1.5 plat a day at 60th circle if I am healing and accept all tips. When my war mage was 60th circle he could make that money in an hour or two hunting critters that posed little or no threat. Shifting offers a good source of income for higher circlers I guess, but I have only had like 3 customers.

For an Empath, you won't hear me complain for 1.5 plat a day. I fail to see the need to be so greedy as an Empath. Isn't the basic fundamentals of the Empath Guild to sacrifice yourself for the good of the others? Isn't it the guild that metaphorically symbolize the Mother Theresa of Elanthia? I am just not seeing why some of you Empaths want to earn money as much as Traders do. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

>>It sounds like you are treating empaths well, so just keep on doing what you are doing, and I think you will be a welcome patient and get quick service.

I will continue to increase my tips, don't worry about that. Unfornutately, IMHO, I won't get any type of quick service until I start tipping a few gold or more. A few silvers ain't going to juggle an Empath's memory and quickly snap-to attention, I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, I do get the odd quick service now and again. But, that's because I'm usually the only patient waiting in line as soon as I pop in.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/03/2004 09:33 PM CST
>>Consider it a starting offer. A little bargaining isn't going to hurt anyone, and it's not like empaths are really that hard-headed that they won't bother taking, say, 15 gold instead of the 20 they originally asked for. And, at any rate, you COULD ask for some kind of payment plan.

From what I've read in that "Tipping" thread, it definitely sounded like "Pay me x amount or else! No negging!"

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/03/2004 10:38 PM CST
>Empaths on the other hand, are obligated to heal, just as much as Barbarians are obligated to hunt, and Warrior Mages are obligated to use magic, etc, etc.

Maybe it is me, but that has to be the worst thing I have ever heard as far as empathing goes. Empaths are NOT obligated to hear you. If you want healed, you can either pay them like they want, or find another empath, but they are not obligated to heal you or anyone else.

>If you were to compare Shifting to Blacksmithing, then yes, I would agree both are the same, because both are rewards to characters who have devoted time & effort in progressing in their respective guild.

And it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to train your character so it can take wounds efficiently without killing themselves as well as heal themselves?

>Isn't it the guild that metaphorically symbolize the Mother Theresa of Elanthia? I am just not seeing why some of you Empaths want to earn money as much as Traders do. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Just because their names go along with empathy means they are supposed to take crap from 50 people everyday who don't want to tip them more than a few silvers? Go and find out how big of an empath Purehand is, and compare his 1.5 plat per day to the same size barbarian or ranger and how much they make. Then tell me that he has no reason to complain.

>I will continue to increase my tips, don't worry about that. Unfornutately, IMHO, I won't get any type of quick service until I start tipping a few gold or more. A few silvers ain't going to juggle an Empath's memory and quickly snap-to attention, I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, I do get the odd quick service now and again. But, that's because I'm usually the only patient waiting in line as soon as I pop in.

How long does it take a barbarian to hunt and make a few gold, or a few plat? If you want to compare empath healing to barbarians hunting, do that. Sure, it depends on where they hunt, but shouldn't it also depend on the empath? You don't seem to realize that those that hunt can kill, kill, kill, kill over and over until their gems and coins and boxes are piled up. Empaths, on the other hand, have to take wounds, take wounds, heal themselves forever... then start over. They don't make any coins for the time it takes to heal themselves.

You also can't expect quick service if they are too wounded to take your wounds. Remember? They can die from taking YOUR wounds and they have to take quite a bit of time to heal themselves. If you want quick service every single time, go to an auto-empath or make your own gimp.

I do not know if empaths should charge up front, or expect a certain amount. All I know is that whenever I can, I tip as much as I can (when in Prime) depending on the wounds I had. And normally, I tip the younger empaths more than the older ones, because they need it more (for those real new empaths, not gimps with big brothers that hunt in caracals.)

Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 06:20 AM CST
As far as I'm concerned, this is the biggest dead horse to cause Shock to these folders since the Self-Shifting debates. There will be those that tip wonderfully, and we will always be pleasantly suprised when we find a new one. There are those that will, until they start hunting in Adan'f or something, continue to tip one or two (or perhaps three if you're lucky) 70 kronar gems.

There are empaths that will never take a tip from anyone, going to great lengths to attempt to return anything given to them. There are those that will take any tip, regardless of how emotionally demeaning it would be in RL, as a way of saying, "Well, at least it's something!" And there are those that will only accept tips from total strangers while expecting little from their friends in some form on social status quo equilibrium.

And this is what we get for playing characters, folks. If, as a certain person who will remain nameless would have us believe, we were all playing cookie-cutter characters with no actual personalities, then this discussion would never be coming up. However, it's become such a constant topic that it should be the next remake of a George Romero film.

Just as we pick and choose the tip-acceptance style for our characters, the rest of them pick and choose the tip-offering style for their characters. It's just our misfortune that a good percentage of the rest of them are [CENSORED] [CENSORED].

Please. Someone bury this poor horse before it starts to smell.

Too late.

Amagaim; the player of,

"I'm fine! Of course I'm fine! I'm just thinking of the amount of teapots a walrus could eat while juggling George Clooney and David Hasselhof!"

--- Eastwood, Exterminatus Now
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 08:36 AM CST
>>there's a HUGE difference between devoting/obligating yourself to become an Empath and heal people than asking a Barbarian to forge you a weapon

Aaaand you've completely missed the point like most other people. They are still BOTH SERVICES! If you can possibly argue that they are not, which was my point, then your facility for reason is completely corrupted.

>>Empaths on the other hand, are obligated to heal

I hate you. Welcome to my blacklist.

>> I fail to see the need to be so greedy as an Empath.

Good for you. If you don't have a problem with the disparity between money making in the guilds then more power to you. Respect the fact that it might be frustrating for career empaths. I'm not greedy, I'm just pointing out the fact that we have fairly low earning potential compared to other guilds.

>>Isn't it the guild that metaphorically symbolize the Mother Theresa of Elanthia?

It seems you have type cast the entire empaths guild. Why am I not surprised.

>>From what I've read in that "Tipping" thread, it definitely sounded like "Pay me x amount or else! No negging!"

I have only ever seen one empath do this with regularity. She was awesome, I wish everyone did it. This is not the norm. Don't believe everything you read and don't criticize people for things you know little about.

At first you seemed like an inquisitive person. Now i see that you are just like the majority of the non-empath playing realms. It's people like you that make empaths not want to heal. Go out and play as an empath for 50 circles, then you may post again and hopefully be an more enlightened member of the community.

~Purehand
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 10:55 AM CST
<<>>Empaths on the other hand, are obligated to heal

I hate you. Welcome to my blacklist.>>

I'm pretty sure he meant that empaths have to heal in general in order to learn empathy and advance, NOT empaths are obligated to heal every single jerk who comes up to them crying.
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 12:45 PM CST
Either way it's an inaccurate statement that spreads a mentality that hurts and pigeon-holes empaths. I'm not really going to blacklist, i'm just tired of hearing that statement. We are in no way obligated to heal.

~Purehand
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 01:25 PM CST
>>And it doesn't take a lot of time and effort to train your character so it can take wounds efficiently without killing themselves as well as heal themselves?

Actually, it doesn't take a lot of time. By 15th circle, you should be taking wounds with the best of them and only be limited by your spell selection. Granted, at 15th circle you are definitely not going to stack up to someone at 30th or even legends like Nausikaa but the fact remains you should still have a respectable transfer time by then (modified by current conditions, of course).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 01:51 PM CST
>>I'm pretty sure he meant that empaths have to heal in general in order to learn empathy and advance, NOT empaths are obligated to heal every single jerk who comes up to them crying.

Even this statement isn't entirely true. In fact, if an empath wants to put in a slightly-inordinate amount of extra effort they can completely stop healing at circles 10-15. That's when PERC HEALTH begins to emerge as a definite learning tool. Not a good one, just yet, but still doable. Shortly after that, blood critters are added to the non-healing empathy camp. Between the two you should have no problems advancing until you can learn manipulate. At that point, you can completely abandon PERC HEALTH and blood critters because manipulate teaches about as well as healing.

It's a very frustrating and boring way to go when stacked up against healing, but it's a definite path to follow.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 02:16 PM CST
>Empaths on the other hand, are obligated to heal,

How many empaths have you reported for not healing, if I may ask, and how many came back after the GM pulled 'em up? I.e. they weren't locked out for being disruptive. That's the real measure of obligation. If it'll get you warned or locked out. Because yes, I can see your case. It disrupts your role playing because the empath isn't playing their role correctly and getting you back out to your hunting as quickly as possible with a minimum of outlay.

>just as much as Barbarians are obligated to hunt, and Warrior Mages are obligated to use magic

Actually not really. They just won't circle if they don't do those things. They're not disrupting the role playing of anyone else, inherently, in not doing those things. Now if they say something about it or someone notices JoeWarMage never casts a spell (and isn't a thief) or JimBarb is always sitting in the empath guild listening to classes, well, then they could be disrupting that person's role playing of their own character by jarring them out of their plot, but that's quite a reach, even for modern DR.
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 07:50 PM CST
>>Actually not really. They just won't circle if they don't do those things.

And so does an Empath if he/she does not heal. That's the point.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 07:52 PM CST
>>I'm pretty sure he meant that empaths have to heal in general in order to learn empathy and advance, NOT empaths are obligated to heal every single jerk who comes up to them crying.

Exactly. Thank you for clarifying that a bit further.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 07:56 PM CST
>>We are in no way obligated to heal.

You're right. You don't have to heal the next John Doe that walks in the infirmary. I agree with you there. However, you do need to heal in order to advance, and therein lies the obligation. Barbarians, Paladins, Rangers, & Thieves don't exactly have to forge, tan, & carve just to advance. Those abilities are a direct result of advancing in their guild, just as much as what Arrange, Khri, Roars, Dances, Glyphs, etc. do.

PS. Sorry for not putting all three latest posts together (including this one). I should have done that.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 08:43 PM CST
Actually you are wrong. We dont need to heal to advance.We were given the ability to perc heal and manipulate to gain empathy ranks as well as heal if we choose to do so. I gather by the fact you still seem to think we need to heal to advance you ignored everyone elses posts stating that we don't.So empaths do not have an obligation to heal anyone unless they choose too. I have advanced many times with hardly healing so obviously you don't seem to have a clue about how we gain ranks.

Karmelita
Re: How do you know? 12/04/2004 09:03 PM CST
>>However, you do need to heal in order to advance, and therein lies the obligation.

I hate to be the barer of bad news... But empaths aren't obligated to heal Jack or squat. Being married to one who very rarely heals and still advances in her guild, more frequently then myself in my guild, know first hand that they no longer NEED to heal people. Yes they still need magic, but that's what SOP and stuff is for.

Also for all you people out there that still piss and moan that empaths HAVE to heal you, I think the empath has every right to say you HAVE to pay them. If nothing else you should feel OBLIGATED to tip said empath at least 6-7 large jaspers.

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrown upon them." Twelfth Night, Act V. sc. 1.
Re: How do you know? 12/05/2004 01:00 AM CST
Very true, Empath's don't Have to heal at all, in fact, I seem to recall there was a time before Transference was ever around when Empath's healed because they wanted to, it had nothing to do with circle. But with the coming of Transference Empaths were required to heal, and for a long time the situation changed, and when more and more people realized that Empath's needed their wounds to circle, they became less and less grateful for the service.

I'd hazard a speculation that it was a bad time as well for the Empath guild, not only in the fact that it was degrading to have people who once saw your gift as helpful to now be obligatory. But as well in the fact that Empath's had to compete for wounds. I know in my instance, living in Australia where everything is 12 hours opposite the US where the majority of DR players are, when you get off work at 4 p.m. (4 AM EST) and want to play DR you only have about 300 players at most IG and that makes the ability to work trans nearly, if not completely impossible. Empath's were unfairly given the burden or relying on other PC's to be IG and need healing to advance, where as every other guild in the game could work any skill needed to circle without such high demands.

With the changing of Trans to Empathy, it made things considerably easier for the guild, and gave a reprieve, as I see it, to having to rely on the hunting habits, game play, and overall population of a given area to learn the skill. I as a Ranger know that you absolutely must travel to other provinces and areas if you want to train certain skill, but the fact that even if I can't train all the skills I want in a certain area doesn't permit me from works towards a circle, where as Empath's couldn't go to certain, less populated area's with any hope to circle because they needed the trans from taking wounds. I frankly think Empathy was a brilliant addition to the Empath guild.

Now Empath's stand on the brink of new req's, and with them, threatens the return of Transference. I don't mean to ruffle and feathers here, but I don't see this as a bad thing. The evidence that Empath's were meant to heal is blatantly obvious. Empath's role is to heal. Now this is open to debate and argument all you like, but let's look at the facts. Empath's have had, and with the new reqs, will have a Trans requirement, the best way to learn trans is via healing, or taking wounds. Empath's are the only guild with spells to heal; said spells can only be self-cast. Empath's are the only guild who are granted the ability to heal poison and disease, I know we can split hairs and talk about a certain guild that has a similar ability, but apart from them, no one else can heal such maladies via use of herb or tonic. And finally the Auto-Empaths scattered though out the game, true they don't heal you completely, but they heal you to a point where herbs can be used to treat the rest of your ailments, and I've never been privy to an instance where one of them refused me saying, "I'm sorry, I'm not a 'healing' Empath."

All that noted, I want to say again, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the Empath guild. Yours is by far, the least devoloped and most under-appreciated guild in the game. I'd assume 90% of the people who have never played an Empath don't realize the plight and Empath has to face. Mere exclusion from 1/3 of the games most important aspect, hunting, aside. Many fail to realize Empath's have no 100+ circle quest, have no creation system of their own, have 15 or more spell slots available to them starting from the mid 40's in circle, and no real inexhaustible way to earn coin. I'm sure many don't realize that apart from titles and new shift options Empath's have no real reason to even get to 50th, much less 70, 90, etc. I do, and wish to reiterate the fact hat I mean no offence by my prior statement implying that Empath's should in fact heal.

To conclude all I have to say is that obviously, if the GM's made Trans a part of your reqs, they obviously want you to work it. Now, does this mean you should be shackled to 'having' to heal? No. I don't believe so. But you can't neglect the fact that your own titles indicate you to be healers of the game and therefore some healing should be mandatory. On the other hand, I think there should be more options open to the Empath, while not able to escape having to heal occasionally, perhaps having xp gain through wound healing re-written would be a decent start, as well as NPC/Familiar/Companion/Horse healing opened up. I hope this post didn't come across the wrong way, I truly do have a great deal of respect and admiration for the Empath guild, and speaking as a Ranger, I want nothing more than to see Team Empath given as many new systems, spells, abilities and updates, as Team Ranger has in the past 3 years, sincerely and genuinely.

-Ariwin
-Any jackass can fall off a barstool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: How do you know? 12/05/2004 01:25 AM CST
I'm not entirely sure at what circle empaths can start using perc health/manipulate/blood critters in order to learn their empathy. It's probably quite low - it's been a while since I took Syralon and rerolled him from an empath to a cleric, and that was before manipulate even came out.

The problem with making arguments based on what empaths need to do in order to circle early on is that every guild has skills that they need to learn in order to get through the early circles that they're never expected to do again, nor does it become part of their identity. Moreover, pointing to the past or at other guild features (such as titles) doesn't quite hold up either, given how Dragonrealms tends to work - whenever guilds change direction in any manner, there are always things in-game that aren't updated properly in order to reflect that.

Other guilds can have their minor skill requirements taught. Empaths cannot be taught empathy, thus they have to heal for a few circles. Using that as basis for a blanket statement about the guild's purpose is simply interpreting the game mechanics as something more than they are - mechanics.

The movement in the recent past has been to give empaths freedom from healing. That's great for them, and we need to change our perspectives on how we view empaths based on how their guild has evolved. Whether or not they have a specific need to heal in the future is another can of worms, and not especially pertinent to the current empath guild.

As it stands right now, empaths don't need to heal others. People should stop treating them like they do.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish

You say, "Also, I'm going to hold you to that "Ushnish Priest" title."
Khentimentiu chuckles.
Heiu says, "I said it on your behalf"
Re: How do you know? 12/05/2004 01:25 AM CST
Okay, I'm intrigued about how to learn empathy without healing. I don't know much at all about the guild (I started a little puff about a week ago... she's all of 9th circle), and I'm not interested in stopping healing people, I'm just curious. How do you go about learning empathy without healing?
Re: How do you know? 12/05/2004 01:42 AM CST
>Ariwin's post...

Aside from hearing quite a few of the ideas I've been brainwashing...er...talking with him about these past weeks since the Empath Meeting...and no, he wasn't channeling Kythryn...much...hehe...one thing that struck me from that surprisingly sober post was this:

>Now, does this mean you should be shackled to 'having' to heal? No. I don't believe so. But you can't neglect the fact that your own titles indicate you to be healers of the game...

I have spoken my peace earlier on how the return of Transference in the current situation would, I feel, be a Bad Thing (tm). However, I do agree with Ariwin that we have a set of titles that accent our healing traits, along with our Herbal traits, our Lore traits and our Field traits. When the game is ready to re-release Transference for us, with ways for us to maintain our independence so that those of us who CHOOSE to be primary healers will be able to maintain that high level of respect they are due for that patience and time they put into doing that, I will support it fully. I believe that all facets of our guild should be fleshed out, so that we each have ways to expand ourselves past the cookie-cutter sterotype of characters who are only here to heal others. That may be a fundamental part of our guild, but it should never be the only thing that defines an Empath. And folks that believe that is the only definition of an empath need to take a step back and remember the true fundamental of this situation: DR is a game, and each character is played by a person who is not looking to be on beck and call, but who is also looking to have fun!

Kythryn
Re: How do you know? 12/05/2004 01:47 AM CST
>How do you go about learning empathy without healing?

-When you can do a 'perc health' and sense other people, you will learn power percieve and empathy.
-When you can tend off a blood critter (currently blood worms in the croc marsh, albino leeches in the Throne City boars, red and black leeches in the Muspar'i sand pits), you will learn empathy, first aid, mech lore and animal lore.
-Once you reach 20th (or there abouts) you can learn how to manipulate critters, and will learn empathy from a successful manipulate.
-Once you reach 30th and complete the shift quest, you will learn empathy from shifting someone's features.

I think that covers the other options...

Kythryn
Re: How do you know? 12/05/2004 02:10 AM CST
I want to add that if you can be patient about how soon you get to second circle, you can circle (and quite well after a certain point), and still never touch another person in healing.

How? Train your first aid and perhaps swimming (and perhaps evasion and/or hiding). Train your power perception.

With enough FA, you can go to blood critters (having swimming helps in the sand pits as well as in the marsh) and learn empathy and mech and animal lore while tending leeches or worms off. If you are afraid of the crocs, get enough evasion to avoid them or bring a guard (too bad GS doesn't handle multi... I wish we'd get a held mana version of it again so it will).

With enough PP, you can perceive health... first of other empaths (so ask an empath friend if you can go on power walks with him or her) and then of NPCs.

While you'll have to wait to circle to second as you learn PP and FA, you'll still be able to train magic with SoP, and all your other skills...which, to be honest, are much more easily learnt at first circle, anyhow.

Heck, even though I did heal people, I didn't circle my low circle empath until he had enough for 10th... he circled a lot faster that way anyhow.

So, in truth, we don't need to heal.

And frankly, as long as adventurers don't rely on us to heal them (they have hospitals/NPCs or herbs), we should never have had to rely on healing them to learn a skill.

I'm glad its fixed.

Transference is the swastika of the empath guild. While it may have originated as a good idea, it has become the symbol of oppression and degradation in the guild. No matter how it comes back, it can never shake that. I don't ever want to see it return.

If some ability absolutely depends on having a new skill (wish, I hope that's not the case, anyhow) in which empathy cannot cover, then make it something completely unlike --and unnamed as--transference.

Still, I believe we have current lore skills that need development time, and such time shouldn't be spent on a new lore until abilities and uses and learning methods for our current lores are vamped up much more.

Amorisse

"You hurry a miracle man, you get rotten miracles" ~ Miracle Max

This is no ordinary miracle! See for yourself at... http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 08:54 PM CST
>>Actually you are wrong. We dont need to heal to advance.We were given the ability to perc heal and manipulate to gain empathy ranks as well as heal if we choose to do so. I gather by the fact you still seem to think we need to heal to advance you ignored everyone elses posts stating that we don't.So empaths do not have an obligation to heal anyone unless they choose too. I have advanced many times with hardly healing so obviously you don't seem to have a clue about how we gain ranks.

Come on, fellas. Throw me a bone here. The most basic & fundamental aspect of the Empath guild is to HEAL people. You are the HEALERS of Elanthia. The Simu Staff did NOT implement Perc Health, Manipulate, & Leaches to have you use it as a primary means to advance a skill. It is there as a supplement. If you get down to the nitty-gritty, you're right, you don't need to heal in order to advance. Then again, in your thinking, my Barbarian never needs to hunt because he can just sit in a class all day and listen to an older Barbarian about weapons. Does that make any IC/RP sense to you? A Barbarian not hunting? A Thief not stealing? An Empath not healing? If you're an Empath, and all you can think about is "Get these bloody leaches off me!", then why did you join the Guild to begin with?

As for Kythryn's comment about the term "Cookie-Cutter" (nothing against what you said, Kythryn). First off, I'm a big fan of Multi-classes. I wish DR has a more defined Multi-class environment, but that's for another thread. To say that I'm packing you all into this cookie-cutter idea, is, well, true. No matter how you look at it, each guild is a cookie-cutter. An Empath is a healer, a Barbarian is a hunter, a Warrior Mage is a magic-user. That's not being a cookie-cutter? The only thing that comes close to not being a cookie-cutter in Elanthia is a commoner. And that's because he/she is not tied down to a guild.

No matter how you look at it, Empaths are healers. Plain and simple. That's your duty, your obligation. You're right in the fact that you are not at my beck-and-call, and not obligated to heal me right from the get-go. I never disagreed with you guys from that. But, to come back at me and say we can Perc Health or Un-leach ourselves as a primary means of advancing is just pure lame. You mean to tell me you joined a Healer Guild just to knock leaches off your bodies and to see if that person next to you is a Thief-in-disguise? Be honest guys.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 09:01 PM CST
>>If nothing else you should feel OBLIGATED to tip said empath at least 6-7 large jaspers.

Which brings me back to the original point of this thread. How do you know the person you're healing has the necessary funds you're asking? And yes, there have been times that there are only high-circle Empaths in the Infirmary, and I am thankful to Empaths like Daffron and Aelassi for not asking anything upfront and for not grumbling about my 3-5 silver tips.

- Ozzie
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 09:08 PM CST
I joined the guild because I like to help people and I used to heal people quite often.I simply choose not to heal as much as I used to because I have other ways I can advance that I enjoy.I have the choice to heal when I feel like it not because I'm chained down to the guild and must heal.I thank the GMs for empowering empaths to have that choice in the way they choose to learn. It is because of people like you who expect us to heal you when you demand it is what upsets people and the fact that you are defining an empath as only someone who heals. Do barbarians only hunt? No they also forge weapons. Empaths don't need to heal if they choose not to just like a cleric can choose not to help deaders or bless weapons etc.I was pointing out to you the fact that we don't need to heal and that we have alternate ways of advancing. Did you ever think that maybe some empaths want to just shift or manipulate critters these days rather than heal? It is not our obligation to heal you so don't try and lecture to empaths that we joined the guild because the only thing we want to do is heal. That is lame and you trying to tell us what our duties and obligations are is lame. So you need to stop assuming empaths are all healers, everyone rps their character in different ways. Want a robotic type empath to heal you? go to the auto healer, I'm sure they will be glad to help you out.

Karmelita
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 09:28 PM CST
Ozzie, just so I can get a better idea about where your coming from, have you played long? Have you played an empath to an advanced circle? Do you know how little healing most wounds teaches at savant and master ranks in empathy? Basically, do you have any idea what your talking about or are you just makeing statements based on how you think things should be? If the answer to any of these questions is no then you might want to listen to what people are saying instead of telling them what to do with their own guild.

The guilds are not cookie cutter unless you train that way, and if you do you will not have a well rounded character. Yes there are a few restraints but not many. My war mage has 4 weapons and 5 survivals some armors and lores within 5 ranks or above his targeted magic skill. A well trained empath can embarass someone in a spar. The difference between learning your tertiary skill sets and primary skill sets becomes less and less the more advanced you get. You think that using perc health (which teaches much better than healing) is a lame way of advancing? I think sitting around all day healing people who have attitudes like yours is a lame way of advancing. We are not healers plain and simple.

~Purehand
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 09:35 PM CST
Wouldn't it be more correct to say we're not just healers Purehand? After all, some of us do actually heal people. :) I heal...occasionally, but its not by far all I do.

In the end all things return to Chaos

For Shifts: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Shift.html
For Battle Empaths: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/BattleEmpath.html
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 09:43 PM CST
Fine, we are not simply healers then. You know what I meant. And who has asked for payment up front? I haven't seen that since before I became an empath myself and I have infrequently seen an empath grumble about tips off the boards unless they are completely stiffed and even then it is rare.

~Purehand
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 10:04 PM CST
>Throw me a bone here. The most basic & fundamental aspect of the Empath guild is to HEAL people. You are the HEALERS of Elanthia.

Which is why we need NPC victims to enable empaths to be less beholden to the whims of other players.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 11:43 PM CST
Thing is, I love healing. And if there was an endless supply of patients to keep up with my skill (both as a player and as character), it is what I'd do the majority of the time.

Sometimes I go to a popular triage spot or into the guild, hoping to do some healing.

But there are usually too many empaths and not enough patients. Doing nothing but small scratches is boring, too. I think many people get killed before they're hurt.

I think there are a lot more empaths these days, too--primary and secondary characters. So that's another reason there are fewer patients.

That I get bored waiting around for patients, I don't. I get involved in something else. And sense I'm involved in something else, I don't usually want to stop and go run over to someone who is asking for an empath to come. Then that person gets annoyed and uses the NPC or herbs or a slave character. Which makes fewer patients, which starts the circle going all over again.

I suppose I must resign to the fact that the things I loved about this guild when I first joined it are gone.

Yes, I did join it to help and heal people.

I get my help people fill, I guess, by doing shifts. Now and then I'm able to come across someone in the field who desperately needs help. People don't usually want to hunt with me anymore 'cause of the problem with extra spawned critters which I can't kill so they stack up. Plus, I'm not the good battle empath I used to be back when evasion mattered more than MO.

Oh well, such is life. This is why I nag our GMs for more goodies, more spells, and abilities and just little fluff actions...things to entertain me.

Once in a while I come across an abandoned empath guild full of patients clamouring for healing...then I can get my fill again. As long as they're not pulling stuff like "Want to heal me? I have lots of wounds for you!" I am happy.

Amorisse

This is no ordinary miracle! See for yourself at... http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt
Re: How do you know? 12/06/2004 11:49 PM CST
>Then again, in your thinking, my Barbarian never needs to hunt because he can just sit in a class all day and listen to an older Barbarian about weapons. Does that make any IC/RP sense to you? A Barbarian not hunting? A Thief not stealing? An Empath not healing? If you're an Empath, and all you can think about is "Get these bloody leaches off me!", then why did you join the Guild to begin with?

You can RP anything you want.... whether it is a barbarian who refuses to hunt (don't know of any) a thief who does not like to steal (know lots of those) or an empath who wants to kill things or not heal people (know many of those)..

P.S. There are empaths in TF who never/hardly ever heal anyone... um, so your idea that you have to heal to advance is moot. They may not RP in TF, but they can advance just fine without healing.
Re: How do you know? 12/08/2004 03:53 PM CST
I guess I can throw in my two cents too, since I'm sitting here waiting for one of my final exams to start.

I joined the Empath's gulid several years ago because I wanted to help out, and I heard that it is a fairly nice living, enough to support the spending habits of my wife...hehe

Now that I'm circle 31, trying to circle to 32, one thing is keeping me behind: empathy. Six ranks of empathy per circle is not fun, especially if I had to rely on patients to get it. Healing patients does take a while to move empathy compared to things such as perc health and such, but each empath knows (hopefully) that there is an interent bonus to empathy when healing, and I like to keep that bonus alive. I heal up myself and go for a walk, and then heal some patients while talking to my friends.

I really have built many friendships through sitting and healing in the guild. I don't think there is one of us here that despises healing that much that he or she would say that we would never heal, or very rarely heal. There are other things that advance our skills more quickly, and I try to balance healing with non-healing.

There are a lot more empaths nowadays. I guess the point that I would make would be to not expect us to heal just because we are an Empath. If you are dying, I will keep you from death (even helped fellow empaths). If I can't heal you when you ask to be healed, it's because I'm doing something else at the moment, or am too full on wounds to add any more.

We are Empaths. Yes, we are healers, but we are also artisans, alchemists, teachers, counselors, and other various titles. (referenced from our list of titles...) We know that in our history we were medics, woundbearers, and sympaths, but we have matured into better people with a wider variety of skills. Having a more open-mided approach to our guild will help you see that we can be a multi-class guild because we can do more than just heal. Obligation? I would say that it's maybe a moral obligation since we posess the ability to heal, but not an obligation to advance.

And now it's time for my Java exam. See you all later!
~Brady, player of Elavin Rismel.
Re: How do you know? 12/09/2004 03:56 AM CST
>Come on, fellas. Throw me a bone here. The most basic & fundamental aspect of the Empath guild is to HEAL people. You are the HEALERS of Elanthia. The Simu Staff did NOT implement Perc Health, Manipulate, & Leaches to have you use it as a primary means to advance a skill. It is there as a supplement.

Ozzie, perhaps you're having a hard time seeing things our way because you just simply have your facts and your logic wrong.

The most basic and fundamental aspect of the Empath Guild is attunement to other living creatures (otherwise known as the empathy skill). This skill is what allows us, among other things, to heal people. To say that healing is our central mission and raison d'etre is an exaggeration, and ignorant of the actual stated focus of our guild.

It's also clear from your statement that you didn't follow any of the actual discussion or explanation that occurred when the Empath GM's announced the various enhancements you listed above. Perc Health, leeches etc, and manipulate were all introduced as ways to extend the range of our guild's abilities. NOT as ways to 'supplement' healing as you put it. They were specifically discussed and specifically intended and specifically developed as alternative ways to learn empathy. Alternative means, you can do one, or you can do another, or all of them, as you see fit. Not, as you put it, you can do this one for variety, but you still have to do the other one in order to advance. What GM statement are you alluding to that states these other methods of learning empathy were intended to 'supplement' healing?
Re: How do you know? 12/09/2004 07:31 AM CST
Very well put Elavin!

~Myrensa~

I will save you from your own stupidity only once, after that it will cost you.
Re: How do you know? 12/09/2004 08:07 PM CST
Very thoughtful discussion here.

By the way, to put the matter to rest, in terms of guild history, getting experience for transfering wounds and it being our only means of advancement is actually short-lived.

The guild began with no requirement to heal people whatsoever. We got along for over three years without it--although we did heal out of kindness and an enjoyment for helping others, we were never required to heal until the advent of transference. But, a few years after that, new ways of learning transference, besides healing, were introduced.

Now transference is gone---and hopefully, for good, being as it has maligned our guild quite enough and still manages to do so despite being dead...and gone. Yay! Gone!

So please, I understand that we have an ability and perhaps in some loose ethical sense we are inclined to heal. But that's it. It isn't and should never be an obligation or requirement.

Amorisse

This is no ordinary miracle! http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt

Empaths, join us: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Re: How do you know? 12/10/2004 04:47 AM CST
>>So please, I understand that we have an ability and perhaps in some loose ethical sense we are inclined to heal. But that's it. It isn't and should never be an obligation or requirement.

As it currently stands, unless I'm terribly mistaken Amorisse, the Empath guild is the only guild capable of healing disease and poison. Even auto-Empaths wont heal those, at least all the ones I've been to; With the exception of the Martyr in the Xing hospital who only takes poison, again, that I've noticed. I'm not trying to say or imply that Empath's should have to heal, however, with the situation the way it is now, if you get poison, acid, or disease your options are:

A) Find a Cleric quickly, stick your head between your legs, and kiss it goodbye.
B) Focus only on training your stamina to 40's or 50's so you can try and ride out the poison/disease/acid.
Or
C) Find an Empath to heal you before you die.

Frankly, I too would like to see more healing options open so that I don't have to run to an Empath every time I get hit with acid, diseased, or poisoned. I'd like to see the auto-Empaths rewritten so they can take all your wounds and scars, as well as disease and poison, even have a system so that you can request what kind of healing you want so they don't just start taking everything in order of severity. Elixirs/potions/salves for healing disease, acid, and poison would be nice as well. I'd also like to see healing spells open to more than just the Empath?s guild, or if not at least change it so healing spells don?t have to be self-cast and can be cast on another person. On the Ranger boards, we've tried countless times to have proposed spells like Ironblood given to us to delay poison/disease, we've even tried to get new beseeches to aid with them, but we were told we'd be stepping on Empath's toes. Seems the Empath's wouldn't feel encroached on since so many are feeling obligated and required to heal. I do think it's unfair that non-Empath's have to seek out an Empath for healing when it occurs; I agree 100% Empath's shouldn't be obligated to heal, but the fact still remains; As I've stated above, unless you want to die or you have godlike stamina, you do need the healing of an Empath for some situations.

-Ariwin
-Any jackass can fall off a barstool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: How do you know? 12/10/2004 06:15 AM CST
<<On the Ranger boards, we've tried countless times to have proposed spells like Ironblood given to us to delay poison/disease, we've even tried to get new beseeches to aid with them, but we were told we'd be stepping on Empath's toes. Seems the Empath's wouldn't feel encroached on since so many are feeling obligated and required to heal.>>

For me, personally, these two sentences describe very different things. The first, regarding "stepping on Empaths' toes" is a game development choice to allow each guild to have its own "niche". The empath guild niche includes healing of physical wounds. Creating an ability for other guilds to heal physical wounds would mean this isn't a niche anymore, which is undesirable from the development perspective, sounds like. On the grand list of "Special things <guild x> can do" healing poison and disease falls under the Empath subheading.

The second sentence, regarding "empaths wouldn't feel encorached on since so many are feeling obligated and required to heal" is a whole other kettle of fish. I really don't believe that game development is based on whether or not it would hurt the players' feelings so much as balance issues like those I mentioned above.

For me personally, my empath doesn't heal very often, but she isn't approached about it very often either. While I don't disagree that some people might be relieved to 'not have to' heal someone's poison because there are other alternatives, I am aware that this is something 'special' I can do, and I, at least, am willing to perform that duty that only I or my guildmates can fulfill. I've never felt obligated to do it, exactly, but it makes me feel like I have a purpose, which I enjoy.

Meghan
Prev_page Previous 1