Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: How do you know? 12/10/2004 06:22 AM CST
After reading (and subsequently rereading) my prior post, I realize it may have come across as near sighted and obtuse, this wasn't my intent at all and it came across the very wrong way, for that I'd like to issue an apology if it offended anyone reading it. I want to say first and foremost I'm in no way attacking or trying to bash the Empath guild in any way, shape, or form; That I hold a deep respect and admiration for the profession, and that as long as I've played DR (coming up on 6, nearly 7 years now); I've been extremely fond and shown nothing but the utmost (or so I like to hope) respect to Empath's for all the help I've been given by the countless times I've had my life saved, been healed, and friendships I've made with people in the guild.

What I propose, or rather, would like to see is a harmonic balance between Empath's and the other guilds in game. As it currently stands I don't see how that exists, certain posts by players in this thread is proof. People should never be under the false illusion that Empath's are around strictly to heal and that it's their sole lot in Elanthian life. I'm willing to agree to disagree on the situation as it is now, I can see the points of the Empath's who've responded and posted back in regards to posts on this thread and respect the opinions. I think that Empath's have been under appreciated and taken for granted far too long, and that after the poor treatment the guild has seen by countless players is more than just cause to feel less that satisfied with the way things are and have been. All I ask in return is the same respect when I say that with the way the system is now that Empath's are the best, and in some cases, only way to heal specific maladies, and therefore are obligated, as dictated by the mechanics of the game, to heal people. I'm very much looking forward to the day when there are systems open to all guilds whereby they can heal themselves completely via auto-Empath's, healing herbs/regents, or even both. Ideally I think it would be perfect if there were ways to heal poison, disease, and acid without having to need an Empath. Risk Vs reward in every instance, of course. PC Empath's should still, and forever, be the best way to get healed, hands down, I wouldn't dare even hazard a suggestion to change that. With expansion of herbs and auto-Empath's at least there would be methods by which non-Empath PC's could heal themselves OR seek Empathic help, making it so that Empath's aren't shackled to being the only means to heal certain things. Thereby hopefully relieving some of the conflicts. If a patient is demanding, surly, or otherwise rude to an Empath, the Empath could then deny healing without the slightest stigma of obligation since there aren't any excuses as to why the patient couldn't heal themselves with herbs/regents or at the auto-Empath, and wouldn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended, honest) for arguing. I'd think that way Empath's would receive more respect for their abilities if that was the case and it would help restore some, if not all, of the respect Empath's deserve for their hard work and sacrifice.

-Ariwin
-Any jackass can fall off a barstool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: How do you know? 12/10/2004 08:26 AM CST
Actually, there is only one case where a PC empath is necessary, and that is missing limbs. Everything else is eventually healable with scar herbs or the right auto-empath. One of my characters will not associate with others, so I've figured out all kinds of ways to get around the restrictions.

Poison, acid and disease are easy. Go to the nearest depart altar, wait until it kills you (much herbs as much as possible in the process so your scars aren't too bad), depart as soon as you drop and grab your stuff. No problem.

Lets see, rangers have all body mod spells and all external effect life spells. Now you want healing spells as well?! Yeah, you'll probably get 'em and never give up anything, but gah. As it is, why should we give up the one thing that we pay the highest price of any guild in game for someone else's convenience? And it is a convenience. If you don't overpick or overhunt, you won't get poisoned, diseased or hit by acid at least until scorps, if then. Now, if the price of having any of those self healing spells were empathich shock, great, sure, be my guest. You can have them. You just can never strike a blow at anything ever again without a 9+min stun roundtime. That's a fair trade.
Re: How do you know? 12/10/2004 02:10 PM CST
I actually agree with most of what you are saying Ariwin. I am all for empaths making very strong potions or magical devices for poison and disease etc, so players can just sip on those or invoke them in the field and not have to come running for an empath or a convenient grave. This would be especially handy for those nursing a bleeder or those who hunt poisonous creatures. However, with all the empaths running around right now, there are a lot of them who need people to heal in order to advance, so I think that you should have to have like master empathy and savant MD or something to make them, so the market isn't flooded. I agree auto-empaths should be able to take everything. If you can afford them (I wish I got two gold for every major heal!) and the time it takes for them to heal, then you should definitely get your money's worth. I personally have no problem at all with other guilds having spells (like ironblood) that stabilize, but don't cure, poison, disease, vitality loss etc. I think that would only benefit the Empath's guild because it would give you the chance to actually get to us, instead of dying en route.

On another note, there should also be a spell for washing away acid. Seems like a no brainer to temporarily satiate all of those empaths out there with 10 empty spell slots. (not complaining, I love you GM's, see guru post).

It was the empath. In the library. With the bone-crushing claymore.

~Purehand
Re: How do you know? 12/11/2004 12:04 AM CST
<< I agree 100% Empath's shouldn't be obligated to heal, but the fact still remains; As I've stated above, unless you want to die or you have godlike stamina, you do need the healing of an Empath for some situations.>> -Ariwin

Okay, I'm having a hard time making my point. I'm not saying that empaths shouldn't heal. I'm saying, we are not obliged. We are not servants or slaves. Our gift is healing and I'd like to see it treated with respect: both by those who receive it and those who give it.

It's the attitude that comes with people thinking Empaths are obligated to heal that I'm fighting against.

Yes, it creates complications and challenges to depend on someone to help you. But it's not just empaths you're dependant on...can't open a box? Want the treasure? then you need to find a locksmith. Want to depart without losing skill? Then you need to find a cleric. Want to protect your items when you depart? A paladin? Need to get to throne city? A moon mage... and many other examples.

But the problem is, empaths were given a skill requirement (transference) that made them 100% on other pcs to learn it. Yet at the same time, other pcs were not required to go to pc empaths. So both the empaths and the non-empaths behaved in the worst way possible in response. Many empaths accepted the doormat position, even promoted it...begging for wounds. And other adventurers treated them as such.

We are still fighting that perception. So that is why I am so adament in fighting it in every way possible.

Amorisse

"You hurry a miracle man, you get rotten miracles" ~ Miracle Max

This is no ordinary miracle! http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt

Empaths, join us: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Re: How do you know? 12/11/2004 12:11 AM CST
<<Meghan's post>>

Hi Meghan!

I agree with your points completely. I love to heal. But I don't do it when someone is being rude about asking because I do'nt want to encourage them that way. Still, I really enjoy the act of healing and the RP involved in it.

<<After reading (and subsequently rereading) my prior post, I realize it may have come across as near sighted and obtuse, this wasn't my intent at all and it came across the very wrong way,>> -- IAMTHEWALRUS

: ) Thank you for understanding. That's all I wanted. I appreciate your re-evaluating the circumstances and trying to make sense of what some of us have been saying here!

Amo

"You hurry a miracle man, you get rotten miracles" ~ Miracle Max

This is no ordinary miracle! http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt

Empaths, join us: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Re: How do you know? 12/11/2004 08:04 AM CST
<<Hi Meghan!>>

Hi! ;)

Meghan
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page