Prev_page Previous 1
Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 12:20 PM CDT
Earlier today we had a dwarf by the name of Nipa enter the crossing empath guild and request a heal.

Now I remember seeing Nipa around as an empath, so I inquired to her, wasn't she an empath? She shook her head at me and told me she was a ranger (her profession was hidden), tapping her longbow as proof.

Now after a percieve health, it was obvious that she was not a ranger as she claimed but was indeed an empath, and one trying to decieve her fellow guildmates into a healing as well.

She recieved a brief berating and went on her way.

~ Britia
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 12:25 PM CDT
SO long as she's grateful/appreciative for the healing, what's the problem? Perhaps she's choosing to change professions.

~Chris, player of Field Medic Nimmi

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. - Unknown
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 12:26 PM CDT
It wasn't the fact that she was ungrateful, it was the fact that she outrightly lied about her profession and took steps to hide it in order to get a healing.

~ Britia
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 06:31 PM CDT
Maybe she lied to try to make a healing request more fair. I know many empaths will heal a fellow empath much more quickly than a random warrior and perhaps she did not want that kind of preferential treatment. I really don't understand why you are giving this person a hard time. (Nope - I don't know them, never heard the name prior to this thread.)

And using perc health to prove that someone is an Empath is just as ridiculous as using it to prove that someone isn't an Empath. (like a thief in disguise) You don't really know that she is not a Ranger - perhaps she has empathic life essence because she's gifted but chose to take on the Ranger profession. Try taking it up in game...perhaps there's good reason she chooses to walk around as a Ranger.

Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 06:49 PM CDT
Perhaps it was all of those reasons, when we called her out on it, she didn't bother to clarify simply left the guild.

I personally don't appreciate being decieved, no matter what the justifaction for it. I sacrifice myself constantly in healing, and I'm sure almost every empath around has hit a point where they have died trying to save thier patient. I think honesty is a very little thing to ask in return.

I appreciate your feedback, Nimmi. That was exactly why I posted this here, was to see whether I was taking it a little too personally by feeling a bit insulted by her actions. :) Thank you.

~ Britia
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 07:20 PM CDT
The way I see it, the liar took wounds in order to gain experience and then went to try to get another empath to handle the injuries so that she might again be healthy and go out to gain still more experience in safety while her victim sat for half an hour healing up.

Perhaps the people defending Nipa are unaware that empaths do not get experience for transferring wounds from another empath.

Passionata the cynical
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 07:42 PM CDT
<<Perhaps the people defending Nipa are unaware that empaths do not get experience for transferring wounds from another empath.>>

Since I'm the only one that posted - I'll respond - I am fully aware that empaths do not get exp for healing another empath. Is that the only reason to heal someone?

Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 07:48 PM CDT
<<I am fully aware that empaths do not get exp for healing another empath. Is that the only reason to heal someone?>>

No, I can think of no other reason to heal someone who lies about being an empath ... and remember I'm someone who doesn't get a significant amount of experience from healing ANYONE, empath or not. I assure you that I do not see healing as merely a means to guild advancement. However, I strenuously object to someone dishonestly trying to improve their own position at the expense of another person.

Passionata
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 07:56 PM CDT
<<However, I strenuously object to someone dishonestly trying to improve their own position at the expense of another person.>>

And are you positive that that is the reason she requested healing? Sounds like you're making an assumption to me and penalizing someone without knowing her motives.

Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 08:01 PM CDT
Well it's pretty crystal clear that she lied, so what difference do her motives make?

~Evye

[anon] I don't want to marry him, just drag him around for a bit.

A plain origami horse asks, "Wanna ride?"
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 08:07 PM CDT
Fine. She lied...drag her name through the mud for all I care. Was trying to offer reasons as to why she may have done so. Seems all too often people jump to the wrong conclusion and don't give people the benefit of the doubt. ::shrugs::

Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 08:10 PM CDT
Liars don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Do you lie a lot or something? You're awfully defensive.

~Evye

[anon] I don't want to marry him, just drag him around for a bit.

A plain origami horse asks, "Wanna ride?"
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 08:24 PM CDT
<<Well it's pretty crystal clear that she lied, so what difference do her motives make?>>

Precisely. Trying to assign virtuous goals to a lie is rather ridiculous. Had her aims been "noble," Nipa should have simply explained them.

Furthermore, it is not ridiculous to use Perceive Health to "out" someone as an Empath or not. There is no history of anyone who is not an Empath as showing up as one while Perceiving Health, nor is there any record of someone who is an Empath not showing up as one.

Put simply, some disguises just plain don't work in Dragonrealms.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 09:55 PM CDT
Maybe this person actually used that crossbow, and has shock? It's possible that they couldn't heal themselves. However, I, too, have seen quite a few young Empaths asking, "Can I get a heal?" Not from mine, ya won't. Go buy some herbs, and sit and wait. I'm not going to be critical of anyone else's point of view, but my Empaths will not be healing any others, without good reason. Things like, "I can't heal my internals", I'll heal them ONCE, and tell them not to take any more, until they can do it themselves. After that, I just point to the cabinet. Removing title/profession and trying to "get a heal" so they can go gain more Empathy is more of a mule tactic, than anything. Funny, they don't realize learning to cast is equally as important.

~PELIC
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 11:13 PM CDT
One of the reasons everyone (who was around when it was in question) agreed that Perc Health should show empaths for what they are, was this very problem.

There were too many times that I had people lie about being empaths to get healed. And frankly I'd rather put up with people being able to tell that I'm an empath, than have to deal with that again.

Simply put, there's no excusable reason to lie about being an empath.

If any of the suggested "reasons" were in fact true, it's quite simple to explain those, rather than to lie about being an empath. "Yes, I am an empath, but I have shock so I need to be healed." See it's not hard.

~Y
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 11:24 PM CDT
>>Maybe this person actually used that crossbow, and has shock? It's possible that they couldn't heal themselves.

Sorry, Pelic, this is never an issue. Healing yourself is never affected by shock. The only reasons you might have for being unable to heal yourself are lack of resources (herbs, no nearby autopath/empath, mana, ability) or lack of desire (I don't want to heal, I've got an invite to a party that starts in an hour and I haven't even done my hair!).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/22/2004 11:34 PM CDT
Shock doesn't prevent an empath from using spells to heal themselves. I was well able to keep myself clean while dancing and recovering from the shock I've taken.

As for Nipa- I doubt she was unaware that another empath wouldn't be able to learn transference from her. Otherwise she wouldn't have gone to such pains to hide her guild.

Which leads me to wonder why she didn't simply ask for aid with the wounds she couldn't heal herself, instead of engaging in deception. But the only person who can really answer that is Nipa herself.

Doryaa

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 12:06 AM CDT
<<Which leads me to wonder why she didn't simply ask for aid with the wounds she couldn't heal herself, instead of engaging in deception.>>

Exactly! I have been healed by other empaths and have likewise healed empaths myself. I well remember being young and feeling like I was never going to have a whole body again. I would have given anything to be clean, just for a moment. When I see that I offer to help, it's three minutes' work for me and can really help an empath on the brink of insanity.

Helping people is good. Getting help is good. Lying in order to trick them into helping you is not so good.

Passionata
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 07:20 AM CDT
A lie is a lie is a lie.

I would not have healed her, and I would have looked at her funny and loudly asked if she was ok, and did she know that as an Empath she can heal her own wounds.

Then if she went one room over to they again, I would have yelled "Nipa, Lass, you can heal your own wounds since yer an Empath, come back over here and I will teach you how!"

Then once she left the guild I would proceed to gweth the above shout, because Maxx is concerned about her health you see.....

Of course, Britia is once of my troops, and therefore is always right. She is a Phoenix after all. ;]

In all seriousness, the lying empath's "roleplay" is terrible. You can pretend all you want, but per health only shows empaths as empaths, end of story. This lass has made my list of "questionable" folk.

Lt. Maxxwel Lightish of the Zoluren Phoenix

The Zoluren Phoenix is recruiting. Contact me at MaxxwelDR to find out how to join us.
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 02:51 PM CDT
>>Healing yourself is never affected by shock.

Didn't know that.

Personally, I think those types (as in, heal me, I'm lazy.) need to be shunned. Good verb. Affects much more than people realize. Add a curse or two on top of it, and they'll be just right.

~PELIC
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 04:00 PM CDT
If I remember correctly, the last time I took someone's shock, I couldn't heal myself. but I'd ask gromnir... he'd know

Souv

manipulate friendship maid
>
A bar maid is not interested in your manipulations at this time. Perhaps later...
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 04:09 PM CDT
>>You can pretend all you want, but per health only shows empaths as empaths, end of story.

That's not strictly true. Sometimes they're hidden, and, well, sometimes you're lucky enough to realize they're about to kick the bucket.

>>If I remember correctly, the last time I took someone's shock, I couldn't heal myself. but I'd ask gromnir

Maybe you're buggy, then, or perhaps that last time was a REALLY long time ago (and therefore possibly subject to some since-replaced/modified shock mechanics). I indirectly helped Gromnir once via one of Dekk's shock parties this last month or two, and I certainly had no trouble healing myself with spells.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 04:11 PM CDT
>the last time I took someone's shock, I couldn't heal myself.

You can cast all the healing spells except CD, and possibly FP. There are only a small handful of spells you cannot cast while shocked, and none of the wound healing spells are in that handful.

-Etrina

"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
-Walter Winchell
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 05:48 PM CDT
>You can pretend all you want, but per health only shows empaths as empaths, end of story.
>That's not strictly true. Sometimes they're hidden, and, well, sometimes you're lucky enough to realize they're about to kick the bucket.

Perhaps the original statement should've been "perc health shows only empaths as empaths" in order to clarify it from "perc health shows empaths only as empaths."

The point was that no one who is not an empath will show up as an empath when you perc health.

~Y
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 05:51 PM CDT
>>>You can pretend all you want, but per health only shows empaths as empaths, end of story.
>That's not strictly true. Sometimes they're hidden, and, well, sometimes you're lucky enough to realize they're about to kick the bucket.

Jeez.... and I thought taking a short break from LSAT review would get me AWAY from logical reasoning problems. I think this is quite the omen.
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 06:04 PM CDT
Hee hee! Hey Mckeone! You didn't really think you could stay away, did you?
And um- to be slightly on-topic, how ethical is it to give this delinquent a long-overdue pouncing? ;)

Doryaa

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 06:20 PM CDT
I can stay away as long as I need to... but stress can be killer sometimes. I'm probably not going to be around much for the next few months, if at all, but who knows.

And about that pouncing... You'll have to catch me first!
Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 06:23 PM CDT
>>And about that pouncing... You'll have to catch me first!

Hah! You're on!

::from the shadows you hear a maniacal cackle!::

Re: Deceitful Empath 08/23/2004 08:09 PM CDT
Do you realize how many energy manacles scrolls I have in my scroll case? Do you want to find out?
Re: Deceitful Empath 09/03/2004 11:55 AM CDT
Several points...

1) unless something changed or I'm misinformed, having Shock does not prevent you from healing yourself. Healing spells do nothing in regards to Empathy. Hence the "Warrior who Heals" sometimes mentioned.

2) Lying about being an Empath may not be killing an Empath, or stealing from one, but it is still wrong. Most rogues I know wouldn't pretend to be an Empath, let alone kill or steal from one. My own brother-in-law and old friend wouldn't do it, granted he may be biased as his wife is an Empath. Nor is using Perceive Health wrong. It's one of the few gifts we get, and since it doesn't point out your guild, just whether you're an Empath or not, others whining about it will fall on deaf ears. To take that away would be as unfair as the advantages some get.

3) like others have said, there is no expierence gain... most of us don't gain it anyway (around 100-150 ranks I noticed a big difference) and while I heal fellow Empaths out of respect and value their lives, if this liar is using this to speed their own rise, it is WRONG, no argument, no defense. We've taken enough abuse, we don't need our own betraying us too.

Now that I'm done ranting (and yes, I do know it was a rant), I will simply say that this 'empath' needs to explain herself. Other guilds can be more lenient, but I know of several that similar behavior would find them walking the starry road before you can blink.

Zanquin, Empath of Elanthia
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/06/2004 06:25 PM CST
>>Now that I'm done ranting (and yes, I do know it was a rant), I will simply say that this 'empath' needs to explain herself.<<

Why? If she wants to pretend to be a ranger, what does that have to do with you?

Sometimes I pretend I'm a ballerina and go skipping through the forest praticing my spins in my pink tutu, who are you to tell me I'm not?

Da Madd Webba aka Da Truth aka too Real for TV

You might as well pay attention since your behind can't afford free speech

Denial is not just a river in Egypt!"....

I'm like a pee stained mattress, don't sleep on me!
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/06/2004 08:51 PM CST
>>>Sometimes I pretend I'm a ballerina and go skipping through the forest praticing my spins in my pink tutu, who are you to tell me I'm not?

You worry me. And coming from a resident of these folders, that's really saying something. :oP

Amagaim; the player of,

"I'm fine! Of course I'm fine! I'm just thinking of the amount of teapots a walrus could eat while juggling George Clooney and David Hasselhof!"

--- Eastwood, Exterminatus Now
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/06/2004 10:34 PM CST
With people having multiple accounts with multiple characters, they might have thought they were in their Ranger shell. I've known a few people who have run off to combat only to realize after they died trying to pull out their usual weapon they were in the wrong shell.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/08/2004 03:59 PM CST
Okay, I think we've exhausted the possibilities of what she could have been doing. In this case, Britia found her out and was not happy.

Now, I will say that an empath friend of mine used to sit in the guild and wait for empaths to ask if anyone was needing healing. It was kinda fun and he even awarded points to those that did it, and tipped them well. So it was fun...

I have had times when I was not in the position to heal myself...being afk or what not, so I got a friend to take my wounds. On the other hand, I have helped with other empath friends by taking their nerve damage while they regen, and other things.

It's best to be honest about it. That's the bottom line, and that's what Britia is most upset about (right?) I don't think any of us would have minded if she just wanted a heal and was willing to tip for it (grin)

~Brady, player of Elavin Rismel
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/09/2004 09:07 AM CST
My experiences have been the opposite, twice now empaths have healed me without asking when I've gotten up to run to the restroom only to come back to being bawled out for not "telling" them I was a empath.
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/10/2004 01:18 PM CST
not to sound callous or anything... but that sounds like a plain old DUMB empath. it doesn't take a genius to either LOOK at someone or PERCIEVE HEALTH to tell if someone is an empath or not... not to mention the obvious failure of logic to heal someone who isn't in danger of dying without asking

Souv

>
A bar maid is not interested in your manipulations at this time. Perhaps later...
Re: Deceitful Empath 12/12/2004 09:35 PM CST
If they come near me, their wounds are mine! I especially like sneaking them off the wound snobs.

~ Nausi
Re: Deceitful Empath 02/03/2005 12:29 AM CST
>Shock doesn't prevent an empath from using spells to heal themselves. I was well able to keep myself clean while dancing and recovering from the shock I've taken.

Correct, however there are some healing spells you cannot use while suffering from empathic shock, I.E. fp and cd. All non-castable spells are listed below.
Curse Disease
Flush Poisons
Raise Power
Gift of Life
Guardian Spirit
Heart Link (and in turn Nissa's Binding)

Biggest problem is also you cannot perceive health so you have no way of learning empathy. Yay swimming! So if any empath asks you to heal poison or disease because they can't while in shock, it's not a trick, they really can't. But if someone wants you to fully heal them and uses the same excuse they are either lazy or a "Deceitful Empath". Thx

K
Empathic Shock 24/7 for 14 days now and counting.
Re: Deceitful Empath 02/03/2005 09:04 AM CST
I vote for lazy, and without all the cool spells there's just the lingering... why... it's no fun to play a shocked empath.. there's only so much foraging a guy can do before he loses it

Souv

>
Re: Deceitful Empath 02/03/2005 04:56 PM CST
<<Biggest problem is also you cannot perceive health so you have no way of learning empathy

Wouldn't bloodworms and leeches still teach empathy? I don't see why they shouldn't.

Fedron says, "Sneeze and you'll step on somebody's toes, and there's no question they'll complain about it."

Fedron exclaims, "They're infringing on our superior sneezing ability!"
Prev_page Previous 1