Prev_page Previous 1
Manipulate 03/16/2005 09:44 PM CST
Anyone know the approxomite requirements to learn manipulate? Or could point me to a post that has them? Would be really appreciative.

Melien, the wanna-be combat empath.
Re: Manipulate 03/16/2005 10:04 PM CST
To learn manipulate you must have 100 in empathy and be 20th circle.

Anyone 40th circle with the ability can teach it.

Purehand is dead and in no condition to continue teaching you.

~Purehand
Re: Manipulate 03/16/2005 10:16 PM CST
Or, you could be sneaky like me and buy a CJ at circle 20. Get the boost from the CJ and learn it with 90 empathy, but Im just an impatient person. It was worth it.
-Player of Davidofv

So, the caterpiller has emerged from the cocoon, as a shark, with a gun for a mouth.

You exclaim, "Im a mad skra!"
Tribanin chuckles.
Tribanin gestures at you, asking that you no longer speak freely.
Tribanin says, "The mad skra, is silenced."
Re: Manipulate 03/16/2005 11:20 PM CST
<<Anyone 40th circle with the ability can teach it.>>

That explains it. Was trying to teach Melien, but wasn't having much luck.

::babbles::

- Ogoh
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 09:27 AM CST
Ok, one more question now that I can play with this...is there a way to check how many manipulation links you have(IE if the ungrateful thing leaves the room and runs away?) Or to break your manipulation links other than waiting?

Melien, getting closer to combat empath.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 12:27 PM CST
No we can't do either at the moment. Both would be most useful and I hope, in time, our GMs see about giving us these most basic and logical tools.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 12:35 PM CST
Oh well, this is still a great ablility and I'm having a ton of fun playing with it.
Two ranks of empathy and counting since I learned it :-)

Melien, Certified Field Medic.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 12:45 PM CST
Oh, it's a great ability. Without it, we'd be unable to hunt. Though keep this in mind(provided you haven't already been warned)..

Manipulate is feed by your concentration. The more creatures you manipulate and the stronger they are, the more concentration it takes. As your concentration gets low, your ability to prep and cast spells degrades, as well as certain other abilities(like perc heal).

Thus when hunting with manipulate, an empath must plan ahead and not get caught in a situation where their concentration is too low and they can't escape without their spells. Fortunately, Innocence(one of our best emergency spells) can be prepared relatively to good effect. I've found a ten prep cast can clear a room nicely, though I haven't tested it too high yet.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 12:48 PM CST
I had noticed that it was fed by concentration and thanks for the warning I hadn't thought about that...I'm in rats so really not needing to cast any spells, just trying to get my defenses up enough that I can actually walk into another hunting ground and be able to face anything. :-P I don't have innocence yet so I have to get that as soon as possible...any other suggestions on good empath hunter spells?

Melien.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 01:02 PM CST
Well, in the future you'll want to consider Guardian Spirit. Consider it a personal assistant who guards you when you want it to. It can be a bit slow to resume guarding, but it responds instantly when summoned to guard, so it can be regulated.

Gift of Life is useful, providing a small vitality boost.

Those two are later in life spells. Sphere of Protection will be one you can get early, makes you better able to evade. Better you get that after you get your four main healing spells, though(internal and external wounds, internal and external scars).

When it comes to rats, take advantage of their wimpiness. They train to about 30 ranks, so feel free to linger in them until that point. You should be good for goblins and musk hogs then, though it's always best to take care when moving into a new hunting area.

One last note, manipulation does train empathy some(lingering links continue to train, though I don't know by how much), so it should be a good help.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 01:21 PM CST
>I don't have innocence yet so I have to get that as soon as possible...any other suggestions on good empath hunter spells?

I consider Innocence to be the be all and end all of empathic battle spells. Especially now that its usable on one critter at a time. I can snap cast a minimum innocence in sandies and clear the room. With a 10 cast and some time on it, I can boot a collection of hatchlings. I've shoved away barbarians nearly twice my circle with a 25-30 cast at full prep. It is, currently, the only really useful spell we have other than our healing spells, at least in my not at all humble opinion. I'm sure it will eventually be nerfed, as it is useful, but for right now, its great.

I tried Lethargy, which could have also been useful, and found it in the same category as Measured Breaths. Um, not useful. Might as well just use Raise Power, quite honestly. RP at least gives you something for your effort in addition to a drained harness pool.

GS, guardian spirit, uh, its good for perc health. That's about the only use I found for it on preview. Critters don't come in one at a time most places I hunt. As a matter of fact, most of the places I hunt they like to swarm. A 'guardian' that might distract one of them, for a bit, unless I retreat or cast innocence or ... uh, what was the point again? Remind me what that ugly nuisance is supposed to be doing out there other than taking up breathing space? Gah. I'd rather have a fir fam that could drag me in case of a stun, thanks.

AD, well, once you get about 400+ magic so you can keep it up with regen and really get them both to move together, then I could see it being worth something.

SoP, I tend to have this up, just because its my primary magic training spell. If it had some duration then it might be actually useful in combat. Oh, my husband and brother both like it, but then it stacks pretty well with MPP, MaPP, SoL, Benediction, Courage, DA, AS and so on. The 13 roisen max time on it though makes it more of a parlor trick than a truly useful combat buff.

Refresh is so much a lesser version of Zephyr and GoL so much less than Courage I never bothered with either of these. NB in a combat situation? Not with magic in the low 200's. Um, do we have any other spells that aren't direct healing?

Flat out, in my life, I use four spells ... HW, HS, FP, SoP and Inn. Less often I use IWH/ISH on nerves. Occasionally I use CD, Regen, BS and VH, the latter mostly just because I'm feeling lazy or don't have the mana at that moment to heal up. I have HL, I have some other spells, I think, maybe, but I never use them. I have two slots open or something like that, and no spells I actually want.
Re: Manipulate 03/17/2005 02:22 PM CST
>I don't have innocence yet so I have to get that as soon as possible...any other suggestions on good empath hunter spells?

I agree largely with what others have said: Sphere of Protection and Innocence are mainstays for me. I don't find Guardian Spirit to be very useful in combat, personally. And I find the Aesandry Darlaeth/Regenerate combo actually works very nicely for me, though I don't have anywhere near 400+ in magic yet. But as far as early spells to get if you're planning to train as a combat empath, you really can't do without SoP and Innocence.

~ Gwynfydedig

Want to know more about the Battle Empath Council? Visit: http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/BattleEmpath.html
Confused about the Empathic Alliance?
http://www.geocities.com/saerhyn/ESC/Coalition.html
Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 03:21 PM CDT
Could I get some general information about manipulating critters please? Or a point in the direction of some information on it.

I'm not sure of the verbage, skills needed or anything, so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks much
Re: Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 04:02 PM CDT
I'm sure you'll get many more posts from much wiser people than myself. But from experience I can tell you:

* You can learn manipulate once you reach 20th circle. And I think you have to have 100 ranks of empathy or something like that.

* You have to be taught by an empath of at least 40th circle.

* The correct verbage of using this ability is

Manipulate friendship <Critter>

Though recently we've been able to abreviate it to manip frie (or shorter, but that's what I usually use).

* There is a roundtime associated with successfully manipulating a critter (usually around 7-10 seconds).

* You cannot manipulate undead or cursed creatures.

* Up until this point you can't break a link with a manipulated critter (the links will break if the creature dies, or you lose concentration or over a certain period of time)

* You can see which creatures you've manipulated by ASSESSing your combat.

*Manipulating uses concentration and you need a certain amount to manipulate a creature. Each type of creature needs a different amount. (usually based on the level of the creature)

*Since concentration is sometimes used all the way down to 0, you should be careful because you won't be able to cast spells at that low concentration. (or think on gweths)

Hmm....I think that's about it.
Feel free, everyone, to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Hope that helps!

~Ahri

What's the ESC? Find out here:
Need shifts? Go here:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt/index.html
Join our discussion group here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/DRShiftingEmpaths/
Re: Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 04:06 PM CDT
Thanks so much for the great info!! That's exactly what I needed
Re: Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 04:07 PM CDT
Oh, and manipulating a creature does not guarantee they will start attacking others. Sometimes they will just wander away...sometimes they'll just stand there picking their nose.

Usually if you manipulate a creature while you have another one at melee with you...they'll start attacking the other creature.

And about the undead thing...it makes them angry and they will attack you even more ferociously. (I've never really tried this, maybe someone can speak from experience.)

Okay, NOW I think that's about it.

~Ahri

What's the ESC? Find out here:
Need shifts? Go here:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~hopebuilt/index.html
Join our discussion group here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/DRShiftingEmpaths/
Re: Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 04:09 PM CDT
>* You cannot manipulate undead or cursed creatures.

You can however attempt to manipulate them, which will cause them to become enraged (being naturally _un_friendly) and turn their attentions to you. I haven't tested this personally, but that could be very useful if you want to pull a beast off of someone else.

>* You can see which creatures you've manipulated by ASSESSing your combat.

You can only see the manipulate status of creatures you are engaged at combat with via ASSESS. They show up as 'friendly'.
Re: Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 04:28 PM CDT
>>And about the undead thing...it makes them angry and they will attack you even more ferociously. (I've never really tried this, maybe someone can speak from experience.)

This only happens when you succeed at the attempt, and it seemed like it caused generation to spike upwards.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Manipulate ? 04/19/2005 08:39 PM CDT
>This only happens when you succeed at the attempt, and it seemed like it caused generation to spike upwards.

I'll have to remember that... anyone want to go hunt meys on Aesry with me?

~Heroiklim

Can you look out the window, without your shadow getting in the way?
Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 08:08 AM CDT
>I'll have to remember that... anyone want to go hunt meys on Aesry with me?

Uh, sure, if you're willing to let me bring my bro along with (and keep blessing his weapons). He loves hunting undead and Crym can't keep up with his weapon collection.
Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 10:48 AM CDT
>* You cannot manipulate undead or cursed creatures.

You can manipulate cursed critters, IE Adan'f, Scorps etc.
Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 01:07 PM CDT
>Uh, sure, if you're willing to let me bring my bro along with (and keep blessing his weapons). He loves hunting undead and Crym can't keep up with his weapon collection.

Sounds like fun, Dio, especially if we can get a glyph to raise power. Blazing mana and endless supply of the swamp ladies, I'm so there! Hell, just give me the endless supply of the ladies and I'll be there.

~Heroiklim

Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 01:12 PM CDT
>Sounds like fun, Dio, especially if we can get a glyph to raise power.

Yup, he has that glyph and loves meys for backtraining. Ever see what an 80 stone BC impact war mattock does to a moss mey? Its even more spectacular than what it does to sand sprites.
Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 01:52 PM CDT
I'll be around most of the day tomorrow, after running to campus to get a copy of my transcript. I'll look you up tomorrow, or if you see me on give me a holler at HeroiklimDR on AIM.

~Heroiklim

Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 04:28 PM CDT
>I'll be around most of the day tomorrow

Cool. I can't always hunt quite that well since I am at work, but meys, eh, they're easy. ;) I just don't let the boys mess with hatchlings since they can get swarmed under by them if they try hard enough. Have to get a gate over though, not that that's much of a challenge.

AIM is DiomidDR, btw. (Like that's a hard guess.)
Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 05:05 PM CDT
>>You can manipulate cursed critters, IE Adan'f, Scorps etc.

Not all of them, then. Faenrae reavers are cursed and while your skill/conc says you can do it all they do is advance on you (undead rage without the rage part).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 05:10 PM CDT
J'lo..

>Not all of them, then. Faenrae reavers are cursed and while your skill/conc says you can do it all they do is advance on you (undead rage without the rage part).

The silverfish are another example you can toss in with the reavers.

For the most part, cursed can be manipulated.

A good ability for the PAFO.

Xochi

Re: Manipulate ? 04/20/2005 10:32 PM CDT
>>A good ability for the PAFO.

Maybe I can catch a faenrae reaver when it's not so crowded, then. Kind of difficult to test when every little critter in the area makes you run away.

Any cursed critters you know of that are entirely unturnable? In case you hadn't noticed, I'm putting together a handy list and it'd be helpful to knock off yet another critter from the To-Do list (especially if it's something I'd never be able to turn for a long while).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Manipulate ? 04/21/2005 08:50 AM CDT
>>>A good ability for the PAFO.

>Maybe I can catch a faenrae reaver when it's not so crowded, then. Kind of difficult to test when every little critter in the area makes you run away.

>Any cursed critters you know of that are entirely unturnable? In case you hadn't noticed, I'm putting together a handy list and it'd be helpful to knock off yet another critter from the To-Do list (especially if it's something I'd never be able to turn for a long while). J'lo

The faenrae reaver is cursed and can't be manipulated. The old silverfish that ran along the streets used to be/still are the same way. The silverfish down in thugs can be manipulated. Geni's can be manipulated along with Adan'f and Scorps. If I remember correctly, the Nomad Zombies in Muspar'i cannot be manipulated.

The Fenrae Stalkers in US can't be manipulated.

I can't find your charts, so perhaps I've missed them in here? I know we have the hodepodge that goes under here, but maybe a sepearate folder for Manipulate and Innocence would be nice.

Xochi
Re: Manipulate ? 04/21/2005 04:51 PM CDT
>>I can't find your charts, so perhaps I've missed them in here?

I think I've got it in General Discussions, mixed in between the sea of replies in that NB and Consent thread. The name of the thread is "Manipulation List".

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Manipulate ? 04/22/2005 01:38 PM CDT
I've tried to use manipulate a number of times, and never had any luck. I'm circle 24, over 100 ranks in Empathy, and was taught by an empath over circle 40. When she showed me, I could feel her directing my attention to what she was doing, and she said she saw me listening/learning it.

However, whenever I try "Manipulate friendship <critter>", I just get back "Please rephrase command" or something similar to that. (I'm not in the game right now.)

Anyone know what's up?

~Fnordia
Re: Manipulate ? 04/22/2005 02:15 PM CDT
Didn't I teach you Fnordia? I spell mine out... actually.. I have a macro that does it for me and puts a nice space after friendship so that all I have to do is type the name of the critter. With all the parser bugs, it's almost certain that if you have issues with something that's been out for a long time, try spelling it out completely and doublechecking your spelling. the syntax for "please rephrase your command" simply means that the game didn't understand what you were getting at. So...

Manipulate friendship mammoth

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Manipulate ? 04/22/2005 02:32 PM CDT
Hey cutie...

Make sure that when the Empath taught you, that you got the message giving you the syntax for manipulate. Plus a bit of scroll, about 15 lines if I remember correctly.

When Tenderwolf taught me, she got the commands out of order, so it didn't actually teach me. But have fun! I've used it a total of about 5 times, but that's about to change once I start field training Elavin.

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

Your mind hears Taygar thinking, "(I)"

>get my amar
You get a burnt orange amaryllis.
>wear my amar
But you don't have any hair! Where are you going to put it? Don't answer that!
Re: Manipulate ? 04/22/2005 08:03 PM CDT
Well, anyone want to teach me again? I don't think it took. Grin
Re: Manipulate ? 04/22/2005 09:18 PM CDT
I'm not busy tonight if you're in crossings. IM is Dozer12345 if you haven't found someone yet.

Purehand is dead and in no condition to continue teaching you.

~Purehand
Re: Manipulate ? 04/23/2005 02:48 AM CDT
>"Manipulate friendship <critter>"

Just so you know "mani fri <cri>" works too...hehe...like 'mani fri leu'...'mani fri vip'...macro keys are a good thing, but if you're going to type it out...:)

Kythryn
~Quarel says, "Raerae is your friend...just give him a chance.."
~Quarel says, "Hes not bad he's just written that way"
~Quarel says, "And Koromas just wants a kitten and a hug"
Re: Manipulate ? 04/26/2005 05:29 PM CDT
Thanks everyone! Souv dragged me off to Goblins and showed me how. :)
Re: Manipulate ? 04/26/2005 06:56 PM CDT
yes yes, you may all bow down and worship my greatness now. etc etc etc

Souv

Re: Manipulate ? 04/26/2005 09:22 PM CDT
<<yes yes, you may all bow down and worship my greatness now. etc etc etc

Souv>>

No...I'm not gonna and you can't make me!!! *raspberries in your general direction*

;)
Re: Manipulate ? 04/27/2005 06:56 AM CDT
actually I can, since Reexa let me become King of Elanthia, it makes you my subject and thus under my command... so bow down :)

Souv

Prev_page Previous 1