Prev_page Previous 1
Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:10 AM CDT
Songsworn, Lorekeepers and... Performers.

While those are indeed the three Heritages (And you can use that term instead of sects if you like) we're going with, currently we're displeased with the name Performers.

If only we had a guild full of creative types who could come up with something better.

Some things to keep in mind include the fact that the other two are compound words, so it would make me happy if the third was as well, and the fact that Performers are not just actors or singers or storytellers. The essence of a Performer is the desire to convey a message to the audience, be it an emotion, a story, or a scathing political commentary. The media through which they convey this is irrelevant.

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:34 AM CDT
Taletellers.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:44 AM CDT
Actually, I don't like the alliteration.

Talebearers.

Truthspeakers.

Elanthia's Public Relations and Entertainment Bureau.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 04:18 AM CDT
Showstoppers

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.-Inauri
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 05:19 AM CDT
Talemasters

Wordsmiths

Talecrafters

Taleweavers

Playactors

Truthwardens

Mythmaker

I dunno. Take these words: Song, story, tale, truth,
myth, saga.

Then add one of these words: maker, crafter, guardian, warden, master, smith, keeper.

And you'll come up with something reasonable... I looked at all the titles I had available, as well, and these are the ones that might work for the third Heritage.

Storyteller, Wordsmith, Tale Singer, Taleweaver, Dreamweaver, Myth Weaver, Music Maker.

On the down side, if you chose one of these you'd have to take it off the generally available title list. On the plus side, there's more titles than there are bards so chances are you won't steal someones favorite.

Just don't call them the "Misters" and we're good.

-=Issus=-
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 06:00 AM CDT
Street Musicians of course

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 07:00 AM CDT
The more I think about it, the more I like Storytellers.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 08:11 AM CDT
The Ways are already IG so why not Gleeman? :P
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 08:29 AM CDT
Emomancer!
Cheermonger!
Slackninja!

Wait a sec, those may already be taken...

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 08:53 AM CDT
Stageperformer.

I think Storyteller sounds cool but I also think it is too closely related to what the Lorekeeper is supposed to do.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 09:27 AM CDT
Performance Artist.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 10:59 AM CDT
I like mythmaker a lot.

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.-Inauri
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:25 PM CDT
Not being creative but....

Gleemen
Legendweavers
Expressionist
Mischiefmakers

i'll think of something after i have some tea or coffee.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:35 PM CDT
Not sure if Allegory would fit.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:47 PM CDT
Stage Master
Ring Master (if you want critters to help your performances!)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 01:56 PM CDT
I hope I don't get ejected from the Bard folder.
This is not suppose to be offensive or a bardshot at all, but simply because of "Performers", and looking for two-word combos, the first thinking that popped in to mind was
Dramaqueens
and I laughed a little.

Then more serious things did pop in to my head, stream of consciousness style, kind of along Issus's themes.

Worlddreamers or Worldweavers
Legendmasters or Mythmasters (I liked the Mythmakers above)(but not Mythbusters)
Storykeepers (I liked the unassuming Storytellers above too)
Dreamkeepers, Dreamseers
Fablekeepers, Fablemasters, Masterfablers
Sagamakers, Sagakeepers, Sagaseers, Saga{something}
Sagaspeakers, Lifespeakers, Mythspeakers, Dreamspeakers, Worldspeakers
{something}spinners
{something}crafters (not Lenscrafters)

I see the symmetry of keeping all three as two-word combinations, but I also think simple words like "Speakers", "Fablers", "Players", could seem less artificial, and give some organic reality to all three? I'm having trouble thinking of a single word title of sufficient coolness though.

Man, I am sorry you guys have to suffer the consequences of my bored Friday afternoon.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 02:00 PM CDT
Lenscrafters: You'll have your song in about an hour.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 03:28 PM CDT
>>Bahb

Hey now, watch out. Dramaqueens have mega battle sparklies.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 03:57 PM CDT
From the tome Verses of the Lizard, long lost to the sands of fevered Muspar'i:

~ . ~ . ~
Lo' my heavy tinted lids, and lashes brushed thick with ebon,
pouted lips brazen with dark berry.
Mind my glittered flesh, my bulging white slacks flared wide,
my chest dark and hairy.

I tower o'er you upon black-heeled platforms,
gaze out beneath bushed curls falsely wet,
and ~sparkle~ amid my glistening sweaty sheene!

'Ware, 'ware, 'ware the swiveling dance of the Glamma-Dramma-Disco Queen!
~ . ~ . ~

If there isn't a poem like that already buried somewhere back in the archives of the bard folders, there should be.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 04:09 PM CDT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that "Lorekeepers" are the ones who know all of the legend, lore, stories, tradition, etc. and are the ones more associated with magical endeavors such as hindsight and recall(not really magical). "Performers" are the ones who sing, dance, play instruments, perform acts upon the stage, read poetry, write songs and are generally acrobatic in nature. Correct?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 04:51 PM CDT
>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that "Lorekeepers" are the ones who know all of the legend, lore, stories, tradition, etc. and are the ones more associated with magical endeavors such as hindsight and recall(not really magical). "Performers" are the ones who sing, dance, play instruments, perform acts upon the stage, read poetry, write songs and are generally acrobatic in nature. Correct?

You're correct, if any of my ideas suggest otherwise it's just because I can't think of anything else to call performers that doesn't limit them to a dancer, a singer, an instrumentalist..so I'm drawing blanks over here. But you're definitely right Leilond.

And Bahb, is that Lady Gaga or a Bahb original? Hehe.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 05:20 PM CDT
I know it is already used by the Tavern Troupe, but I like Troupers.

Fablemasters and Wordsmiths are good as well.

I was thinking of some simpler ones that wouldn't really relate to just one aspect of a "Performer":

The Architects - not of buildings but more like Performance Architects.

Redcoats - is a term I saw that pertains to performers as well.

I saw the term Sightreaders as well which I thought was neat, who are performers who don't read music or anything before a performance.

Thespians and Players might be too specific for a whole branch of Performers, but I liked the terms.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 05:32 PM CDT
Heartswayer?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 06:31 PM CDT
Glad to know it's not just us GM types which are struggling with a good term for this!

For now I'll let the brainstorming continue and just note that the summary earlier in the thread of the differences between a Performer and a Lorekeeper is accurate.

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 06:35 PM CDT
Drunkard?

I mean, really, of the fighters or the lorers, which one is really going to be the party animal?
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 06:45 PM CDT
Rhythm weaver or rhythm walker?

In a way, the word rhythm can be used to describe dance, instrumentals, singing, poetry, story telling, acrobatics, sound and speech patterns...

~Faih
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 10:10 PM CDT
Jongleur, Raesh. Accept no substitutions.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 10:37 PM CDT
Performing Artist

Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/18/2010 11:07 PM CDT
Elanthian Idol!

Actually, I like Mythmaker.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 12:57 AM CDT
I actually originally had "Taleweavers" as my first choice for this, but then I thought it might be thrown out because it's already a title. It's my post-title and one of my favorite titles period.

Headliners was another one.

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 01:12 AM CDT
Show Masters

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 05:48 AM CDT
Stagecrafter
Entertainer
Thespian
Stage lyricist
Rhythmist
Troubadour (I kinda like this one because it means both composer and performer. It doesn't have to be limited to one genre.)

Speaking of genres...there's the muses. Music kinda means art of the muses and just to add this thought.

Muse Domain Emblem
Calliope Epic poetry Writing tablet
Clio History Scrolls
Erato Lyric poetry Cithara (an ancient Greek musical instrument in the lyre family)
Euterpe Music Aulos (an ancient Greek musical instrument)
Melpomene Tragedy Tragic mask
Polyhymnia Choral poetry Veil
Terpsichore Dance Lyre
Thalia Comedy Comic mask
Urania Astronomy Globe and compass

I'm not saying all of that fits but it's an interesting thought. I could see epic poetry, history, lyrical poetry, elemental magic for lore keepers and music, tragedy, choral poetry, dance/acrobatics and comedy for the performers kinda.

~Faih
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 11:41 AM CDT

The Renown
High Muses
Renownmuse

WarBreakers
Merrymakers

Merrymen
Merfolk

Soulsoothers
Joybringers
Joycrafters

Inspirationseeker! Sort of long
Musemaker
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 04:12 PM CDT
All the attempts to make this a compound word are ridiculous, contrived, and seem to obscure what the sect will really be.. Performer, Entertainer, and maybe Troubadour are the only options that seem fitting. Try passing any candidates through this test: If we called the sect _, would the player of a non-bard get the general idea of what they do? If the answer is "no", pick something else.

Performer passes this test. Heck, I'm not even sure "Songsworn" passes for the combat sect. Lorekeeper is perfect.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 04:21 PM CDT
You have essentially identified the problem. Performers (Or Entertainers) does work. It is also bland, so we're seeking a replacement - however it's not something we'll pick lightly.

As for Songsworn - it's not the first name I would have picked if we were starting with zero established lore for a combat Heritage. However we do have established lore, and it would be best to not think of the Songsworn as purely the combat Heritage, but as the Songsworn Heritage - which is much more complex, but retains the most combat focus.

Keep in mind, Heritages will not be mandatory, and if we do our job correctly will be more than a one dimension "This is the skill set I focus on".

Hopefully that makes some sense, and if it doesn't - it should by the time we're done.

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 09:06 PM CDT
Perhaps you could benefit from really defining what each sect will be; we have the gross overview of 'fight, lore, other'. Performance really borrows heavily on lore, but also imbues the creation of new rather than the regaling of old.

By defining the other two well, you define what the third is not, so it might become easier to name it.

It just seems like a lot of the names are more lore-appropriate than performance.

You could also simply explain in detail what niche you want the 'other' role to be.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 09:14 PM CDT
>>You have essentially identified the problem. Performers (Or Entertainers) does work. It is also bland, so we're seeking a replacement - however it's not something we'll pick lightly.

I stick by Jongleur.

: an itinerant medieval entertainer proficient in juggling, acrobatics, music, and recitation
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 09:37 PM CDT
Alright. I'll take a whack at it, without getting into the nitty gritty.

Please note - my BardFu is still weak - so if Vaeldriil has said anything that contradicts this, or later says something that contradicts it - assume she's right.

Songsworn
I'm going to stay a little big cagey on this one - they're a secretive order, and the lack of information out there for players right now is somewhat intentional.

Their central focus will be on combat, but to join the Songsworn one must prove themselves in other areas as well; Information gathering, evading capture, tracking down targets, influencing those around you and more.

Fictional Example: Michael Westen from Burn Notice.

Focus: While weapons are the most important, a Songsworn will likely need to draw on all skill sets to be successful.

Lorekeepers
Not as formal of an organization as the Songsworn, the Lorekeepers find their roots in court scribes/heralds/historians. The Lorekeepers were particularly important during that little skirmish with the Dragon Priests. While they do their bardic duty of passing on information to others, their central focus is on the collection and preservation of history and lore.

Fictional Example: Sazed from Mistborn.

Focus: Lore (Particularly non-musical), with a secondary theme of magic.

Performers
While every Bard is a performer to some degree, the true Performer takes this a step further. The most important thing to a Performer is that they have something they wish to express to their audience; be it a moral, a story, a particular emotional state etc. The media through which they tell the story isn't particularly important. While many outsiders believe a Performer craves attention above all else, this is usually a distant secondary motive to conveying their message.

Fictional Example: Thom from Wheel of Time (Though he has a strong dash of Lorekeeper in him too).

Focus: Charisma, Lores (Particularly musical), and Survival (Particularly anything acrobatic - escaping, climbing, evasion, perception, stealing perhaps lockpicking and disarm).

Also note that this is still very much a work in progress, so things may change etc.

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 10:33 PM CDT
drool

Your Bard fu is great.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/19/2010 10:35 PM CDT
>drool

*hands you a clean handkerchief*

Don't drool on your instruments. You'll have to repair them.

~Faih
Prev_page Previous 1