Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 03:02 AM CDT
Wow...

>>Fictional Example: Michael Westen from Burn Notice.

I was explaining my joy at the creation of Bard Heritage groups to my fiance, who is currently in DR Dabbling stage. When I explained my take on the group to her, I pretty much described them as a spy organization: The members don't necessarily all know each other, but they work collectively towards a goal. I specifically mentioned Michael Westen as how I hoped the members of the Songsworn would have to act. She became much more interested in playing her bard in the future.

As for the still discussed Performer title: Anyone able to contact Daerlynn, Dreamheart or Chabelle? I think those are three names I very much associate with the notion of performance bards, I'd like to see their input on the subject.

-=Issus=-
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 06:44 AM CDT
You know, it would be cheating, but perhaps using a Gamgweth or elven word or words to describe the concept instead of the actual flat name.

The trouble seems to be that no one can come up with a standard english word that equals the interesting names of Songsworn and Lorekeeper.

And it would make sense to use an ancient language to describe that sect, as ostensibly it would have been the real origin of the bard guild.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 07:28 AM CDT
Hmm, to be honest I am slightly disappointed at the idea of the pathways becoming so closely tied to our different heritages. I'm not saying I dislike the heritages, but I feel that tying them in in this way actually narrows our options a little bit.

For example, I play my bard in a very combat and magic-focused way. I was really looking forward to choosing either the combat or lorekeeper pathway for her. But I don't see her as a Songsworn or a history buff. Yes, I suppose I can still take the pathway and then RP as not one of the members, but that feels kind of cheap.

I don't really know what the solution is. More lore-based backgrounds would be neat but a lot of work. Maybe there can be "generic" pathways with groundwork laid for joining specific lore-based organizations, like the Songsworn? And potential future paths could be added later?

P.S. If lorekeepers are going to focus on mundane lore, have you considered a more magic-focused pathway?
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 09:41 AM CDT
I don't believe you have to join a path--You can just not choose and get the Standard point cost for each as opposed to the ReductionInPrimary/PenaltyInOthers scheme that comes with picking a single specialized path.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 09:59 AM CDT
>>Hmm, to be honest I am slightly disappointed at the idea of the pathways becoming so closely tied to our different heritages. I'm not saying I dislike the heritages, but I feel that tying them in in this way actually narrows our options a little bit.

I kind of see what you are saying here, but the bottom line is it will be next to impossible to make something for everyone. So then your task becomes to make what will appeal to the largest percentage of the Bardic population, and to use something that makes the most sense for the guild based on it's history. Of course there is always room for Bard's to take their own path, and as they said before, no Bard will be forced into a path. You can certainly just pick things you like from each Heritage and come up with your own roleplay.

Actually, calling it a Heritage, and being something that has nothing to do with Bardic heritage at all would be kind of an oxymoron, wouldn't it? Like a Neo-Bard Heritage, it just wouldn't make sense.

I haven't had caffeine yet so this post might not make as much sense typed out as it did in my head, but I think the Bard Heritage system is going to add a lot to the Bardic community. It makes sense that the official guild should offer pathways that are consistent with the Heritage of the guild and the foundations it was based upon. In DR, there are a LOT of famous NPC's that belong to a guild, but go a much different route than the guild traditionally follows, so there is always room for that. They're just offering what makes the most sense for the guild to us.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 12:58 PM CDT
You are absolutely NOT required to join a pathway.

The current plan is that joining a pathway will have two major results, the first is cosmetic benefits more or less on par with what a Moon Mage sect gets now.

The second is a discount on feats taught by that Heritage when we get to feats, at the cost of feats NOT taught by that Heritage becoming more expensive.

Long story short - in the long run aside from cosmetic perks, which should only really be appealing if they fit with your RP, a bard without a specific Heritage and a bard with a Heritage are going to be on equal footing. This should make a lot more sense when we start dealing with Feats.

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 01:43 PM CDT
I agree that it's definitely better to have a heritage system in place that's tied in with current lore. I guess I just wish there were a way for me to join the primary-combat line, say, without necessarily being a Songsworn. That's all. I'm happy to give up Songsworn specific fluff, but giving up the buying perks may make me sad (depending on what I want to buy, I suppose).

I am massively comforted by the fact that un-pathed bards will not be left in the cold (as unsected moon mages are).
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 02:32 PM CDT
Yeah the main difference between Bard paths and Moon Mage paths I think is going to be that it sounds like Bards will have access to all feats at a slightly higher cost. Or maybe at a standard cost, as opposed to a lesser cost, and if they do not choose a path they might only miss out on some cosmetic things exclusive to the heritages. Whereas unsected Moon Mages cannot learn cantrips or sect affinity for other sects if they remain unsected.

If that made sense.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 03:25 PM CDT
Seeing as how combat spans all three paths by means of screams, magic, bluffs and mojo, and because each of these aspects are very important in combat as a whole I would say if you truly want to be combat oriented and not just scream/weapon damage oriented(which is what the Songsworn path is all about), IMO you would be better off being more well rounded with the paths rather than putting all of your eggs in the Songsworn basket.

__
~Leilond
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 05:04 PM CDT
>You are absolutely NOT required to join a pathway.

Good because as they stand right now I see my bard as having started as part of two pathways and currently engaged in a different combination having dabbled in all of the above.

If I went songsworn, I'd be very tempted to not advertise that at all and use one of the others as a cover because of the secrecy part of that heritage.

I'll wait to see how they turn out and how much flexibility is built in before I make a choice. Enough has been expressed that I don't think they'll end up as cages you get stuck in that would make you regret choosing any of the three.

~Faih
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 06:58 PM CDT
I think this has already been covered, but I want to emphasis it - Feats have no equivalent in the existing sect system. The current benefits to the sect system are basically cosmetic except for a few cantrips (Which are mostly cosmetic with mild niche use) and a minor spell affinity. There is a reason the old Taisgath turtle died.

The Feat system we've discussed is something that will tie into Heritages, but it is not what will define Heritages. The current draft we're discussing has a non-Heritage bard and a Heritage bard being able to get the exact same number of feats at the system cap.

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 08:08 PM CDT
>>Yeah the main difference between Bard paths and Moon Mage paths I think is going to be that it sounds like Bards will have access to all feats at a slightly higher cost.

Yes, again... massive relief and appreciation. :)

>>IMO you would be better off being more well rounded with the paths rather than putting all of your eggs in the Songsworn basket.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll reserve judgment until feats come out. I just wanted to air the thought.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 08:38 PM CDT
So the top choices for replacement for Performers right now in my mind are:

1) Taleweaver
2) Troubadour
3) Entertainer/Performer
4) Merfolk

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 08:42 PM CDT
>4) Merfolk

You got to be kidding...

~Faih
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 09:03 PM CDT
Can we have fins? I really want some fins.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 09:04 PM CDT
No, he's got a good point. The Merfolk in DR have an extensive amount of Lore already built up about how their societies center around the art of storytelling. "The Merfolk Ritual" book on Aesry alludes to magics that allow other races to become of the Merfolk race, but the only person I heard of actually doing that (or rather, the reverse) is Arilana, who is a GMPC. Very cool to think that we might be able to see that bit of lore used on PCs in the near future!

I'm particularly interested in seeing how this plays out in regard to the events mentioned in the book "Wetness is the Essence of Beauty" by D.Z. Exciting stuff, Raesh!

If that falls through, I like Taleweavers.

-=Issus=-
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 09:45 PM CDT
Tail Beavers, I like that best as well.

- Terra
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 10:28 PM CDT
I like taleweaver, but I was thinking:

Storyweaver.

Over all I like the ending of weaver though, thoroughly enjoy.

Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 10:46 PM CDT
<<Tail Beavers,

I hope this is a typo. Especially when in reference to a title in a sects system like the Heritage system is gonna be. If not, then I hope something else gets picked, else I will be laughing. Loudly.

:D

~Tieriana~
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/20/2010 11:34 PM CDT
Out of the four listed, Taleweaver has my vote.

__
~Leilond
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/21/2010 11:55 PM CDT
Definitely Taleweaver. :)

Although I guess that means it will be removed from the title list and I'll have to find a new post title I really like. =/

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/22/2010 12:10 AM CDT
You could always join the Heritage...

-Raesh
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 06/22/2010 04:29 AM CDT
I still like Myth Weaver or Mythweaver.

Since its not on the list i'll go with Merfolk!

Yeah I like it because it has a certain ring to it.
Re: Your mission, should you choose to accept it: 02/19/2011 01:13 PM CST
Aerosaltant

Equilibrist

Entertainer

Artist/Artiste

Repertory Company

XXXXXX: gosh the world is about to end....two of you at once?

XXXXXX:

* Court Playwright Chabelle D'Jhue joins the adventure.
>
* Court Playwright Chabelle D'Jhue joins the adventure.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page